Best Baby Grooming Products
As a new mom, you probably have a lot of questions on baby grooming. You might be wondering how to go about it since you are afraid of his delicate body. It’s quite normal. However difficult it might appear to you, you have to get your little one well-groomed from head to toe and to do so; you need to arm yourself with the right equipment.
Baby grooming entails a lot, from hair trimming, giving your baby a bath, nail trimming, ear cleaning to nose cleaning. Babies do not come with a manual for you to check on how to go about grooming them. You, therefore, while buying baby products you need to carry out a lot of research before your angel arrives for you to get adequately prepared.
Grooming your baby will give you a happy baby at all times. You will help them relax and get comfortable at all times. You need to remember that just the way you feel with undone hair, long nails, blocked ears and nose, your baby feels just the same. The biggest problem is that they can’t tell and what you’ll have all day long is a sad baby.
This guide will help you to know the babycare kit you need to purchase for your baby’s grooming. You will also learn of the importance of grooming your baby and also the things you need to look out for before you buy the grooming products. In this review, you will also get the best products for baby grooming in the Indian Market today and thus narrow down your search.
Top 8 Baby Grooming Products
Best portability feature
Best manicure set
Best safety feature
Best affordable kit
Best reliability feature
Quality Grooming Products
Safe Nail Clipping Kit
Baby Grooming Essentials
- Nail Care
You will have to trim your baby’s nails from time to time if you do not want him to scratch his face. Trim him for a minimum of two times per week to keep him safe and neat. To trim the nails, you’ll require;
- Baby scissors or clippers-will help cut the nails safely
- Emery board-will smoothen the nail edges
- Bright light– will enable you to see what you are doing
To successfully trim your baby’s nails, wash him to make his nails soft and smooth to trim. This process should take only a few minutes. You can also choose to clean his hands only if in a hurry or fear that he might catch a cold.
Ensure that you have enough light with you to see what you are doing. Do not try to trim your kid’s nails in a poorly illuminated room without a flashlight. Also, you can set a station by the window to ensure that you do not risk cutting your baby’s delicate fingers.
Do not use your scissors or nail clipper to trim your baby’s nails. Always use a pair of scissors or clippers that are small enough to cut the nails safely at all times. When trimming, always hold your baby’s hand firmly to avoid losing grip. Avoid shaving your baby’s nails using your teeth.Remember that your mouth can be home to bacteria that might affect your baby health wise if you bite her skin off.
When cutting your baby’s fingernails, always do so by following the curve of the nail. Trim straight across if cutting toenails. The emery board or file will help you to smoothen any nagged edges at the end of it all.
- Teeth and Gum Care
Kids teeth also need to be taken care of. You can also not assume that just because they don’t have teeth yet, they have clean mouths. You need to clean his gum as well for proper hygiene.
To clean his teeth or gum, you’ll require;
- A clean washcloth
- Soft bristled baby brush
After every feeding, ensure that you wipe his gums off with a damp clean cloth to keep him clean. Your baby might not like it, but you’ll still have to do it if you want him to remain healthy at all times. After all, it won’t take a lot of time.
When his first tooth appears, start using a very soft bristled brush to do the cleaning. Accompany the brush with clean plain water and a non-fluoride toothpaste. At this age, your baby will not be able to spit out the paste, and that’s why you can’t use a fluoride one.
Add a little fluoride paste on your baby’s brush only after he attains the age of two. The reason for this is because, at this age, he can comfortably spit it out. After brushing the teeth, ensure that you always wipe his mouth with a clean washcloth to prevent him from swallowing the paste.
- Ear Cleaning
If you stay for too long without cleaning your kid’s ears, a lot of wax is going to build up making his ears to look gross. Ear wax isn’t bad for your baby’s ears, but too much of it isn’t good for his hygiene either. Ear wax helps to prevent ear infections as it contains microbes. The wax also protects your baby’s ear canal from water.
To clean your baby’s ears, you’ll need;
- A washcloth
- Ear drops if necessary
Dampen the washcloth you’ll use on your baby’s ears with warm water. Using the cloth, rub the inside of his ears without touching the ear canal.
You should know that kids ear canals are shorter than those of adults and trying to remove the wax from it will only push the wax in. Should this happen, your baby might develop hearing problems. This reason is also why moms are always advised to avoid using cotton swabs to clean their kids’ ears. You could even Pierce your little one’s eardrum during the process.
Kids ear blockages rarely happen but should your baby’s ear canal get blocked, get over the counter ear drops to loosen the wax. All you’ll need to do is place your kid with the blocked ear facing up and then put two drops in the ear canal. Let your baby lie on his side for about three to five minutes to allow the drops time to enter the canal fully. After some time, the wax will come out.
- Nose Cleaning
Everyone needs their nose cleaned, even your little one. Kids feel miserable with a blocked nose just like adults do, and since they can’t do it on their own, you have to do it for them. To unblock your baby’s blocked nose, you need;
- A nasal aspirator or bulb syringe-get one that you can open to clean and disinfect.
- A washcloth
- Wet wipes
- A saline nasal spray
When your baby gets nose blockage, a crust can build up on the outside of his nose, and you have to remove it to help him breathe with ease. To do that, all you need is a damp washcloth that you’ll use to wipe the crust away. You can also choose to use wet wipes instead of a damp washcloth.
Getting the crust from the inner side of the nose might get a little difficult when using a washcloth, and that’s when you’ll use a nasal aspirator. To clear congestion using the aspirator, squeeze the bulb and then insert the tip into your baby’s nostril and then release it to collect the mucus.
- Hair Brushing
If you want your baby’s hair to look neat, you’ll have to brush it from time to time. Hair brushing is also an important method of maintaining the health of your baby’s scalp. Failing to brush him often can lead to the buildup of cradle cap which causes crusty or oily scaly patches on his scalp.
Brushing your baby’s hair can help to dislodge some of the crust though not all. To successfully remove the cradle cap, you have to keep on cleaning his head with shampoo more often. Brushing will also make your baby’s hair to grow. Always brush the baby gently, and you’ll see the much she’s going to like it. She might even fall asleep during the process.
To brush your baby’s hair, you need a soft bristled brush and a comb.
To succeed in brushing your angel’s hair, find a position that works for you and your baby as well. You can choose to hold him in a sitting position or lay him down. After that, brush his head gently and slowly putting just enough pressure to stimulate his scalp.
Do not apply too much pressure on his head when brushing him. He should feel like you are scratching him. If you do this correctly, you won’t encounter any problem.
- Hair Trimming
A baby with long hair looks untidy. You, therefore, need to trim your baby’s hair when you feel that it has gotten long enough to disturb your baby. Long hair can have its way into your baby’s eyes which brings a lot of discomfort to him. Trimming your baby’s hair will also help in getting rid of old split ends.
To trim your baby’s hair successfully, you’ll need;
- A high chair that will help keep your hands free
- A bath towel
- A water bottle to spray on your baby’s hair
- Baby scissors
To trim your baby, place him on the high chair. The chair will hold your baby comfortably and won’t require you to hold them using your hands. Putting him on it will leave your hands free enabling you to carry out the process successfully and with ease.
Put a towel around your little one’s neck and hold it with a clip to keep it in position. You can also choose to use your baby’s cotton bibs for this process. To keep your baby busy and engaged, give him a snack or a toy to play with.
Always spray the water bottle on the part you intend to start with first so that should your kid make it difficult for you to finish the process, you won’t have him wet all over. After a successful trim, pull the hair away from your baby.
To help your baby to relax, ensure that you bathe him a minimum of three days a week. Do not leave your baby in the tub alone at any time since he can drown even in the least amount of water. To bathe your baby, you’ll require;
- Baby shampoo
- Glass or pitcher
Ensure that you have everything you need when washing your baby by the bathtub. Cleaning your baby in the tub gives him a better sitting position. Ensure that the water you put in the tub isn’t too warm for your baby. Remember that what feels good on your hand might be too warm for your baby. If possible, use a thermometer to test the temperature of your baby’s bath water.
Start by washing the hair first and avoid pouring water on his face. After that, wash his body with gentle rubs using a washcloth. The cleaning time should take the least time possible since you don’t want your baby to catch a cold during the process.
Lay your baby on his towel and wrap him up. After that, you can now change him to afresh diaper and an outfit of your choice.
Importance of Baby Grooming
There are many reasons as to why you need to groom your baby and not just the cosmetics ones. Some of the advantages of baby healthcare include;
- Trimming your baby’s nails down helps to keep him safe from scratching their pretty faces. Long nails can also be home to germs and bacteria that may affect your baby’s health after some time. Long nails also make it difficult for you to clean the baby’s fingers properly. A baby with long nails can even end up scratching you as you carry her.
- Grooming also helps to keep your baby clean and comfortable. No one would like you to help you with taking care of the baby if she leaks of odor due to lack of grooming. If you fail to clean your baby, she will also suffer a lot especially from itchy skin,something you would rather not see happening to your baby.
- Washing your baby’s hair and brushing it will make him look neat and also disentangle his tangled hair. Washing will also help to clear the cradle cap which looks bad on his head even though not painful.
- Removing crust and congestion on your baby’s nose will help him breathe comfortably. Doing so will also give you a happy baby at all times.
- Baby grooming helps kids to relax. Post bathing, most kids tend to sleep because of this relaxation. Failing to wash your baby is almost the same as torturing him.Give him a clean bath often and make him happy.
- Grooming your kid from birth up to his formative years will enable him to learn the importance of looking neat at all times. As a result, he will always do it on his own when the time comes.
The following are the things to consider before purchasing any baby grooming product
Before buying any grooming product, always think of your baby’s safety first. For example, when purchasing a pair of scissors or nail clippers, do not go for those that are too sharp. Should you get a little distracted when trimming your kid’s nails, everything will go down the hill. That’s the reason as to why moms are advised not to use their scissors or nail clippers when grooming their kids.
Check the material that makes the product before paying for it first. Some products come at a low price but will disappoint you after a few days of use. If going for a grooming kid, avoid those that come with a lot of tools but at a low price as these will most likely not work for your baby.
When buying your baby’s grooming products, look for those that you can carry with ease when traveling with your baby. When going for a grooming kit, for example, get one with a case for easy portability. You do not want to carry your baby’s products and then lose some on the way.
Always consider the age of your baby before purchasing a grooming product. A hairbrush for a three-year-old kid will not work on a three months’ newborn. The same case will apply when buying toothbrushes and combs. Do not waste money on products that you’ll end up not using.
Easy to clean
The worst thing you can ever do is purchase a product that you can’t clean with ease. Kids are very delicate meaning that everything that you use on them should always be spotlessly clean. You, therefore, need to purchase grooming products that you can clean with ease. For example, do not go for a nasal aspirator that you can’t open to clean and disinfect. Water spraying bottles should also be easy to clean.
There’s no need for spending a lot of money on a product yet you can get the same item from another brand that works in the same way. You, therefore, need to carry out your research and compare prices. While doing so, however, always ensure that you get quality products. At no time should you compromise quality over price.
Always go for products that come with the correct size for your baby. When going for trimming scissors, for example, check the right size for your baby. Avoid large sizes that can work for adults as most of these are sharper and can hurt your baby.
Check the handles of the baby brush, scissors, file, clipper and any other tool you’ll be using on your baby.
The handles should be comfortable enough for you to hold the item with it not slipping from your arms. You do not want to injure your baby when grooming him.
Ease of use
Never go for a product that you’ve got no idea on how to use, or you feel that will challenge you when using it to groom your baby. Remember that your baby can never become an experiment. A simple mistake and everything goes down the hill. Purchase products that you can use with ease.
Before you purchase a grooming product for your baby, you need to ask yourself how reliable the item is. Will it help you to groom your baby when you want to? Will the clipper help you to cut your baby’s nails when you want to? If the answer to the questions is yes, then go for it!
1. Chicco Brush and Comb – Our pick
If looking for a brush and comb set that will help you to keep your baby’s hair neat, you won’t go wrong by purchasing this set from Chicco. The brush will help you to gently comb your baby’s hair and disentangle all the tangled hair.
The brush has soft bristles to help you brush your little one’s hair without injuring his scalp. The comb also comes with rounded ends that makes it ideal for your kid’s delicate scalp as well. With the set, your baby will also enjoy the grooming process instead of crying as most kids do.
These tools have long handles to help you grip them safely and avoid instances of them slipping from your hands and injuring your baby. Natural hair makes the bristles of the brush and thus very safe and harmless on your baby’s head.
- Has large handles for an excellent grip to protect your baby from injuries that result from slipping
- Has soft natural hair bristles that are safe and harmless on kids heads.
- The brush has soft bristles soft on your baby’s scalp
- Has capped comb teeth to be gentle on your baby’s delicate scalp
- Comes in a great design and look
- Very smooth on your baby’s scalp
- Good quality and thus long lasting
- Soothing and thus calms the baby as a result
- Bristles keep on falling off the brush
2. Mee Mee Soft Bristled Comb and Brush Set – Best portability feature
This set will help you to groom your baby without exposing him to any toxic substances as all the tools have non-toxic, durable plastic. The brush has soft bristles that will help you to brush your little one’s hair without causing pain on his scalp.
The comb, on the other hand, has rounded teeth edges to help you untangle your baby’s hair smoothly without pulling or breakage. The tools are strong and durable enough and will thus help you to groom your baby for a very long time.
The brush and comb come in a small size allowing you to store and carry them with you if traveling with your baby. With the two tools, your baby’s hair will always remain neat and healthy. You won’t also have to worry about his delicate scalp when brushing his hair as well.
- Made from a non-toxic plastic material and thus safe for you to use when grooming your baby
- The brush has soft bristles to enable you to brush your baby’s hair without causing pain on his scalp.
- The comb has rounded teeth that help comb kids’ hair without causing pain on the scalp.
- The tools come in the right size making it easy for you to carry them when traveling
- High-quality handle material
- Has a very soft brush
- Has quality bristles that do not fall off the brush
- Easy to carry along
- Bristles are a little rough
3. Syga Baby Infant and Toddler Grooming Kit – Best manicure set
If looking for the best baby grooming manicure set, this is the kit to go for. You can place it on your baby’s changing table, dresser or under the bathroom sink for proximity. The kit has a nail file that won’t shred your kid’s nails or hurt his skin.
The kit has ergonomic nail clippers and plastic handled baby scissors. The features make it easy for you to maneuver around your young one’s little fingers without the risk of injuring them. These tools come designed for ultimate comfort and precision grooming.
The nasal aspirator will help you to remove dirt from your baby’s nose and enable him to breathe with ease. The scissors are perfect for your baby’s soft nails and will allow you to trim them with a lot of comforts.
The softly tipped nose tweezer acts as a great alternative to the nasal aspirator and will also help to remove clogs from your baby’s nose. The good thing about using the tweezer is that unlike nose suctions; these do not retain molds and bacteria.
- Comes with enough tools to help groom your baby comfortably
- Has ergonomic nail clippers that help you to trim your kid’s nails without the risk of slipping down your hands
- Comes with a beautiful case that helps in storing the tools
- The tools are made from high-quality plastic and metal thus very durable
- Has a sturdy nail clipper
- Has the best file for newborns (not abrasive)
- Very user-friendly tools
- Tools have fine blades to help trim your baby’s nails.
- Big nail clipper handle
4. Baybee Premium 2 Piece Baby Grooming Set – Best safety feature
If looking for a brush and comb set for your baby that will help you to take care of your baby’s health with ease, this is the set to purchase. The products are safe to use on your baby and EN certified. When using the products, you won’t have to worry about his safety at all.
The brush has smooth bristles that help to disentangle your angel’s hair with ease. The brush will massage and stimulate your baby’s scalp making him calm down. The comb has round teeth that will enable you to comb his hair safely at all times.
These grooming tools will last for a long time since high-quality plastic material makes them. The brush and comb come packaged in a gift box and will thus make a great gift. Do not use the set on kids younger than three months of age.
- Certified by EN and thus very safe to use on your baby’s head.
- The Brush has soft bristles to help brush your baby’s head with ease.
- Made from high-quality plastic thus durable
- Comes in a package and therefore easy to carry along
- Very safe to use on your baby
- Comes at an affordable price
- Long lasting and easy to clean
- Very easy to use
- Brush bristles a little hard
5. GOCART Baby Manicure Set – Best affordable kit
This baby kit for newborn will help you to groom your baby’s finger and toenails with ease. It consists of baby scissors, nail clipper, tweezers, and a file. These tools will make your work very easy due to their high-quality plastic make and stainless steel metal parts. You won’t have to freeze with fear when you think of grooming your baby’s nails.
The scissors have rounded tips to help you trim your baby safely and with ease. The nail clippers, on the other hand, will help you cut the nails effortlessly at all times. All the tools come with dust cups to prevent them from getting germs from dust.
The items come in a pack that makes them a perfect gift to a new mom. The file will help you to smoothen your baby’s after cutting them while the tweezer will help to dislodge any dirt from your baby’s nose or mouth. With the set, grooming your baby will always be easy.
- Made from high-quality plastic thus last for a long time
- Has fine blades to help you cut your baby’s nails with ease
- Come in the perfect size enabling you to use them with ease.
- The tools have dust caps to keep them safe from dust
- Flexible and very easy to use
- Made from non-toxic materials and thus very safe to use on kids
- Easy to carry along with you when traveling
- Very affordable
- Very sharp nail clipper
6. Kassy Pop Baby Manicure Set Baby Grooming Kit – Best reliability feature
If looking for a reliable baby kit for newborn that will help you to groom your baby’s nails, this is the set to go for. The kit comes with for items; a nail clipper, scissors, and a file. The tools come with an attractive stand that will help you store them at home and a beautiful case to carry them when traveling.
All the tools are designed with your baby’s safety in mind and will thus help you trim your baby’s nail without any risk of injuries. They have ergonomic handles that prevent them from slipping from your hands when working.
The tools have rounded tips, curved edges and fine blades that enable you to work on your baby’s nails with a lot of ease. The tools come in the right size giving you full control for perfect baby grooming. The plastic material that makes the handles, ABS, makes them tough and durable.
The nail clipper and scissors do not get blunt with ease and are also rust free as they come from premium stainless steel metal. You will thus use these tools to groom your baby for a very long time.
- Comes with an attractive storage case that also helps a great deal when traveling.
- The devices also have fine blades that makes it possible for you to trim your baby’s nails with ease.
- Made from high-quality plastic material and stainless steel metal parts for durability.
- Very durable helping you to minimize your trips to the market in search of grooming tools
- Very easy to use and convenient
- The set makes a perfect baby gift
- Rust free tools
7. FLICK IN Baby Grooming Kit – Quality Grooming Products
This baby healthcare kit will provide you with almost every tool you need to keep your baby well-groomed. With it, you won’t spend a lot of time searching for rooming tools for your baby from store to store. It comes with eight tools all of which will help make your baby clean and healthy.
The kit comes with a nail clipper, baby scissors, a tweezer, nasal aspirator, thermometer, dropper feeder, infant comb, and an infant hairbrush. All components are light in weight, and you can thus carry them along when traveling for a vacation or a trip with your baby.
All the tools are easy to use, and you won’t experience any problems or difficulties when grooming your baby. The eight different tools perform different functions meaning that your baby will always remain perfectly groomed.
These tools are 100% safe for you to use when grooming your baby and will never affect the health of your baby. The scissors have a round edge for the security of your little one. The feeder will help you to measure the proper dosage for your baby.
If invited for a baby shower and you’ve got no idea as to what the perfect gift should be, get yourself this kit. It comes with unique and elegant packaging. All the tools come in the right size to ensure that your baby is well-groomed.
- The nail clipper has a secure design and will help you trim your baby’s nails with ease.
- The tweezer will help you to clear your baby’s nose and ears helping him breathe and hear in a natural way
- Has a soft and tender nasal aspirator that will remove everything dirty from his nose.
- Comes with a thermometer with a soft rubber material that will help to avoid baby’s danger and will also help you to monitor his temperature precisely.
- Made from high-quality plastic material thus durable
- Easy to use tools
- Easy to carry them from place to place
- Makes a perfect baby gift
- No return policy
- Thermometer fails to work at times
8. SGL Complete 4 Piece Grooming Kit – Safe Nail Clipping Kit
This baby grooming essentials kit comes with a fold up nail clipper with curved edges to enable you to trim your baby’s fingernails and toenails safely. The clipper’s blades are sharp enough to help you cut your kid’s nails effortlessly and without the risk of injuring them.
The nasal tweezer has a fine tip to help you clean your baby’s nose with ease. The 4 step freedom nail filer will also help you to smoothen the edges of your baby’s nails. The tools do not rust all thanks to the stainless steel material that makes them.
The nail clipper comes with curved edges that help you to trim your baby’s nails safely at all times. The scissors have rounded tips for safe nail trimming as well. The tweezers, on the other hand, come with a round head to avoid stabbing your kid.
The four grooming items have plastic handles, made from BPA material and will thus never affect the health of your baby negatively. The tools also come with dust safety cups that protect them from dust. You can also clean these tools with a lot of ease.
- High-quality plastic material and metal parts make the tools durable
- The rounded tips of baby tweezers keep your baby safe from stabbing which mostly happens with other types.
- Made from non-toxic material and thus safe to use on your baby.
- Sharp blades help to trim your baby’s nails effortlessly
- Very easy to clean
- Easy to use and carry
- Suitable for both right and left-handed persons
- Rust-free and safe to use
- Handles not large enough
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What should I do if my baby refuses to get his nails cut?
The best thing to do when that happens is to try trimming him as he sleeps. At this time, he won’t even realize that you are messing up with his nails. Ensure that you are careful enough not to disrupt him from his sleep because if that happens, the mission will become impossible once again. Upsetting him can also make him wake up abruptly making you injure him.
2. What should I do if my baby swallowed fluoride toothpaste?
If your baby swallows a pea-sized paste, you’ve got no reason to worry. However, you need to ensure that he doesn’t swallow the paste from time as excessive fluoride in his body can make him develop fluorosis. Fluoride can also expose your baby to chronic health issues such as problems with bone development.
To prevent all this from happening, you need to train your baby once he attains the age of two years on how to brush and spit the paste out.
3. Can I wash my baby’s head after trimming his hair?
Washing his head isn’t compulsory but one of the best things to do after cutting your baby’s hair. You can also choose not to. Alternatively, you can use a washcloth to rub his head clean after a shave.
4. Can I bathe my baby after feeding?
Do not try to wash your baby immediately after a feed as this will only bring him a lot of discomforts. Also, try not to bathe when tired or hungry as this will make him angry. Wait for a short while after feeding him then give him a warm bath to help him relax and fall asleep.
5. Should I wash my baby’s hair every day?
You can clean your baby’s hair daily if he has a major problem with cradle cap or if he sweats a lot around the head. Even after washing his hair, you have to clean his head again during his routine baths.
6. What should I do if I have shaky hands and risk injuring my baby’s fingers when trimming his nails?
If you have shaky hands, you can always ask for assistance from your spouse. He can help trim your baby’s nails instead. If your spouse isn’t available, you can ask your kid’s caregiver to assist in grooming your baby. You should not risk the safety of your baby at all costs.
7. Should I be worried if my baby keeps producing a lot of wax in his ears?
If you think that the wax is too much, you have enough reason to worry. Instead of trying to work this out on your own or taking measures that may even endanger your kid’s health, visit his doctor for professional help.
Our best three products in this review include; Chicco Brush And Comb ranked 1st in the review, Mee Mee Soft Bristled Comb and Brush set listed in the second position and the Syga Baby Infant and Toddler Grooming Kit with Scissors ranked 3rd.
FLICK IN Babycare Kit comes with eight high-quality grooming tools that will help you groom your baby’s hair, nose, mouth, fingernails as well as toenails. The kit also contains a tub that will help you ration your kid’s food proportion and also monitor his temperature from time to time. Chicco Brush and Comb, on the other hand, will enable you to keep your baby’s hair neat at all times and for long. The SGL Grooming Kit comes at a lower price and also contains high-quality tools that will enable you to groom your baby with a lot of ease.
Your baby can never relax and get comfortable unless you groom him well. Grooming your baby will also make him grow to a responsible person. A clean baby is a happy baby, and that’s why you need to purchase baby products that will help you to keep your kid happy at all times.