10 Best Diaper Rash Creams
Don’t we all love making funny expressions and innovative childish sounds while changing the baby’s nappies to keep him engaged with a joyous smile and heartwarming cute expressions?
However, the sudden vociferous cry of our bundle of joy filled with painful looks triggers the panic button in us. More often than not, we realize that the real culprits behind the baby’s discomfort are diaper rashes.
While we cannot avoid using diapers altogether given their immense utility, we can definitely treat these diaper rashes with diaper rash creams. It effectively heals the rashes and protects the sensitive skin around the baby’s genitals, thighs, and buttocks.
This review will provide information about causes of a rash, taking care of a rash, safety tips, when to see a doctor, the different types of products, a buying guide, the 10 best diaper creams and FAQs.
Top 10 Baby Diaper Rash Creams in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Best Anti-Fungal Cream
Thick and Fast Absorbent
Thick and Fast Absorbent
Best when diarrhoea is involved
Best For Sensitive Skin
Best Organic Diaper Rash Cream
Best for Toddlers
Causes of Baby Diaper Rash
Different factors lead to diaper rash for newborn babies. A diaper rash is a widespread form of inflammation of the skin (dermatitis) on the baby’s bottom.
Diaper rash can be traced to some sources, which include:
Irritation from stool and urine.
One of the significant causes of baby diaper rash is prolonged exposure to stool and urine. This can irritate the sensitive skin of the baby.
Bacterial or yeast (fungal) infection.
It has been seen that the areas around the genitals, buttocks, and thighs always covered by diapers are more prone to skin infection and rashes.
This is because it is vulnerable to moisture, making it an excellent breeding ground for yeast and bacteria growth.
Chafing or rubbing.
One common cause of rashes in babies is a tight-fitting diaper. This is because it tends to rub against the skin and lead to inflammations in the long run.
Use of antibiotics.
Antibiotics are another cause of diaper rash on babies. When a baby takes antibiotics, the bacteria that keep the yeast growth from multiplying is reduced or depleted.
This tends to cause an increase in diapers rash due to yeast infection. Antibiotics can also lead to an increase in diarrhoea for babies.
Irritation as a result of a new product.
A change in the use of a baby wipes a fabric softener, bleach, or detergent can cause baby diaper rash. Some factors that can increase baby diaper rash include ingredients found in some baby oils, powders, diapers, and baby lotions.
Chemicals in diapers can cause a red rash across the skin. This is possible as a result of a reaction to chemicals in disposable diapers. This is often a result of a change to a different brand of diapers.
Chemical residuals in detergents can also be a source of rashes. Chemicals in detergents and fabric softeners can also be sources of an irritant to the baby’s bum. Others include bath products and cream.
The introduction of new foods.
The introduction of solid foods leads to a change in the content of the baby’s stool. With this solid food, an increase in baby diaper rashes tends to increase. Also, diaper rash can result from the breast milk that the baby takes from the mother.
The sensitivity of the baby’s skin.
The sensitivity of the baby’s skin affects the increase in the baby’s rash. Conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis (eczema) can also lead to diaper rash in babies.
How to identify rash and what are the symptoms
Taking Care of a Baby’s Diaper Rash
In taking care of baby diaper rash, the following steps should be followed in keeping your baby safe.
- Baby diaper rashes should be treated with recommended cream to calm the ranging red skin.
- Babies diapers should be changed as often as possible to avoid prolonged contact with baby urine and stools.
- The cream acts as a protective barrier to excess moisture.
- Ensure that your hands and fingers are free from bacteria so as not to get into the diaper rash cream while making use of it.
- Go diaper free most time to allow the child freedom from diaper rash.
Safety Precaution in the Use of Baby Diaper Rash Cream
In making use of these creams to remove diaper rash from babies, some safety precautions should be adhered to. This includes
- Make sure you keep it out of the reach of children
- As with other dietary supplements, consult your doctor or health care personnel before use
- Read the product label for additional information
- External use only
- Avoid any form of contact with the baby’s eyes
- Avoid ingestion of the product
- Consult the doctor if the symptoms worsen or persist after seven days
When to See a Doctor
It is important to consult the doctor if the baby’s skin condition does not improve after using the products. Here are situations that can necessitate speaking with a doctor
- When the rash becomes so severe or unusual
- When itches accompany it, bleeds or oozes
- Comes with fever
- Is getting worse despite home treatment
- There is pain during bowel movement or urination
Types of Baby Diaper Rash Products
Different types of diaper rash creams abound in the Indian market giving users the option to choose from. The products come in other form and packages such as
Diaper Rash Creams
Diaper rash creams come in a water-based form. This makes it easy to get absorbed into the baby’s skin and also to spread around. Baby diaper rash creams are the best option for soothing infectious skin.
Diaper Rash Pastes
The paste form is thick and helps to protect the baby’s skin from moisture. It comes with skin conditioners and zinc oxide.
The drawback to this is that it can easily stain the baby’s clothing and not recommended if you are using a cloth diaper except it is disposable.
These are an oil-based form of diaper rash products. They act as a good source of barrier against irritants due to the greasy and oily nature of the product.
This type of moisture absorber is made from cornstarch, but since the powder may become airborne, kids can easily inhale it.
Buying Guides for Baby Diaper Rash Cream
In buying a baby diaper rash cream, the following factors should be put into consideration
Type of Rash:
The kind of rashes determines the choice of rash cream. If the child has an irritated bottom, select an ointment or traditional diaper cream. For yeast rash infection, you will need an antifungal cream as other regular diaper rash cream will not help
Cream, Paste, or Ointment:
When you are looking for a product that will act as a soothing cream, selecting an ointment may be the best choice for you. For healing and soothing the skin, a good cream should be chosen while an ultra-paste could protect and heal the skin.
It is essential to understand and know the ingredients used in making the cream. It should include ingredients like aloe, calendula, zinc oxide, etc. that can calm down the irritation.
The sensitivity of the baby’s skin
Children differ with their skin sensitivity. Some babies’ skin can be dehydrated, while others may be easily wet. Check the label to know the one that suits the baby well.
Look out for potential allergens such as mineral oil, lanolin, preservatives, etc.
Type of Diaper Used
The diaper type determines the type of cream used. If you use disposable diapers, there is no need to worry about the cream’s greasy nature.
If you use a cloth diaper, go for diaper creams with no petrolatum to prevent it from clogging the fibres.
Most preservatives are irritant to the baby’s skin. Determine the texture of the baby’s skin in ascertaining the ideal type of diaper rash cream.
Number of Usages
The usage of cream is determined by the percentage of zinc oxide in the cream. It is often difficult for most parents to figure out the rate.
For a product that requires daily usage, it requires a little amount of zinc oxide between 10% – 15%. It should be between 30% and 40% zinc oxide for a persistent rash since it has a thicker cream and coverage.
Look for All-natural
Some parents prefer diaper rash cream that is entirely natural. These are creams that do not contain zinc oxide or petrolatum. These types of cream rely instead on plant-based oils or beeswax to create a moisture barrier.
Every diaper rash cream in the market promises effectiveness and efficiency. No brand states its shortcoming. It is necessary to look out for a brand that works for you, and others with an excellent rating and reviews.
10 Best Baby Rash Creams
1. B4 Nappi Cream
B4 Nappi cream is an effective rash cream formulated to keep your cutie pie happy and smiling during nappy changes. It serves as an effective barrier by creating a protective layer on your baby’s sensitive genitals and thigh areas.
This baby rash cream avoids the rash discomfort and provides a soothing effect for the sensitive skin suffering from diaper rash. It is the preferred choice for parents and paediatricians for as the most effective protection cream against diaper rashes.
- This cream provides a soothing effect on the front and back of the baby’s nappy area
- The essential ingredients of this cream include zinc oxide, allantoin, and calendula oil
- It has 15% zinc oxide that serves as an effective and safe skin protectant
- The allantoin works as a reliable anti-irritant
- The presence of calendula oil prevents bacterial growth and relieves inflammation while providing a soothing effect
- It does not vanish on the application and appears as a thick layer for preventing the urine or any faecal matter from causing any irritation to the delicate skin
- It effectively prevents rashes due to regular diaper usage and maintains healthy skin
- It is best to apply between diaper changes
- It comes in a pack of 75 grams
- It can be smoothly applied and conveniently wiped off
- It is suitable for newly born infants and above
- This cream prevents irritation and removes any uneasiness caused by the diaper rashes
- The regular usage of this cream prevents the recurrence of diaper rashes
- This cream moisturizes and soothes the skin by ensuring its effective rehydration
- In the event of any unintentional delay in changing the diaper, it effectively protects the skin against faecal irritants
- It can be safely used every day
- It makes a thick protective layer over the nappy region for protecting the skin against the damaging effects of the absorbed excreta
- It provides an excellent smoothening effect and has a pleasant fragrance
- No negative points were observed so far
2. Chicco Diaper Rash Cream
Chicco diaper rash cream employs an effective regenerative formula for protecting, soothing, and repairing babies’ delicate skin.
- It contains natural active ingredients like shea butter and glycerine that provides effective skin moisturization for quick healing
- It contains 10% zinc oxide, allantoin, and pro-vitamin B5 for providing protection against skin rashes and repairing the skin
- It comprises panthenol that quickly regenerates the baby’s skin
- It comes in a pack of 100 grams
- It comprises natural ingredients of 100% vegetarian origin
- It is a safe cream to use for babies as it does not contain any parabens, alcohol, dyes, mineral oil, SLS, SLES, artificial colours, etc
- It is a dermatologically tested cream that ensures effective skin protection and repair
- It is suitable for babies of age one month and above
- This cream creates a breathable layer over the skin of the nappy area
- It is allergen-free that does not contain any artificial fragrance
- It can be easily applied. You only need to apply a thin layer followed by a gentle massage at every nappy change onto clean, dry skin
- No negative points were observed so far
3. Lotus Herbals Baby+Diaper Rash Crème
The Lotus Herbals Baby Plus Happy Bums Diaper Rash Crème comprises an innovative and natural formula for appeasing babies’ delicate skin. It constitutes the blend of zinc oxide and calendula extracts that protects the skin against nappy rashes.
It provides the natural way of taking optimal care of a baby’s sensitive skin. Its natural ingredients are handpicked from rare flowers, plants, and herbs. This makes it a safe cream for your babies as it keeps them delighted.
- It comes in a 100 grams packing, and it is suitable for babies of one month and above
- Paediatricians recommend this cream for ensuring effective skincare of the babies
- It is free from any preservatives or artificial fragrances
- It has been tested for sensitive skin and found to be effective
- It can be applied to the baby’s skin right after birth
- It is a made in India product
- It features calendula extracts that provide soothing, hydrating, and refreshing effects on the baby’s skin
- It has a pleasant fragrance
- It is a 99% natural skin that provides up to 100% goodness
- It does not contain any harmful chemicals
- It is less effective in treating rashes
- It does not wash away easily
4. Sebamed Baby Rash Cream
The Sebamed baby rash cream is for the moisturizing of the baby sensitive part covered by the diaper. This baby rash cream contains a micronized form of titanium dioxide that acts as a barrier on the skin against wetness.
It also helps for faster recovery when it is compared to other products that have a pH7 and zinc oxide.
This cream strongly indicated good skin conditions for areas affected by the diaper area. It is usually used in the genito-anal area after changing and cleaning the diapers.
This cream provides a useful kind of relief from the irritation and also reliable protection against diaper rash. With the pH level of 5.5, it normalizes the skin pH when increased by urine contact and occlusion.
- Contains 35 percent of the oil that hydrate and soothe an irritated skin
- It contains natural beeswax, sorbitol, and squalene for optimal hydration of the child’s skin
- It contains panthenol that heals winds and to also supports the healing process of the skin
- It is made from wheat germ oil
- Contains chamomile and lecithin to protect the baby from infection
- It contains a rich supplement of a liquid complex with squalene
- Vernix-related squalane provides the necessary lipid support and protection
- It has an item weight of 81.6 g
- A product dimension of 5.1 x 6.4 x 15.2 cm
- It helps in curing a diaper rash and diaper blister
- It’s one of the best sellers in India
- It fully normalizes the skin of the baby
- Since the cream is thick, it creates a water-phobic layer
- Effective for skin regeneration and the healing of blister skins
5. Himalaya Diaper Rash Cream
The Himalaya diaper rash cream is a powerful rash remover and soothes for newly born babies.
It is a very wonderful product that is ideal for your child’s safety and protection. With the discomfort of the urine and poo, the Himalaya diaper comes as a good alternative.
The cream helps in the healing process of the rashes, redness, and irritation of the skin.
- Comprises of five-leaved chaste tree
- It contains almond oil
- The cream contains zinc oxide
- Fully enriched with vitamin A to condition the skin
- Contain aloe-vera extracts and almond oil and Indian aloe
- Made from the power of herbs
- Contains Manjishtha (Indian Madder) and Nirgundi (Five-leaved Chaste Tree) to relives the rashes
- It is paediatrician recommended
- Product weight of 68 g
- It has a product dimension of 0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1 cm
- Ideal for babies from the ages of 1 month and above
- Due to the nature of the ingredient used in making the product, it minimizes inflammation and redness on the baby
- The product contains natural ingredients that are highly effective to cure the baby’s wounds and ailments
- It’s free from parabens, mineral oil & synthetic colours, the common factors that cause allergies & rashes
- It is a good cream for hydrating the skin
- With the aloe vera, it comes with anti-bacterial and astringent properties, used in curing wounds and skin ailments like dermatitis
- Not so suitable for oily skin
6. The Moms Co. Baby’s Diaper Rash Cream
This is a perfect blend of natural butter, oil, and zinc oxide. The zinc oxide is powdered oxidized zinc that is gotten from a naturally occurring mineral. It is an excellent skin protectant that is known to help to reduce irritation and redness.
This also helps to reduce skin inflammation. The cream is toxin-free and a very safe and moisturizing solution for the baby’s skin. It is free from other mineral oil and sulphate.
- A perfect blend of 15 percent of zinc oxide to provide relief to the baby’s irritating skin
- Contains hypoallergenic features
- Clinically tested
- It contains organic chamomile oil, organic shea butter, and organic jojoba oil to moisturize the skin
- It’s free from sulfate and paraben-free
- It is made without SLS, DEA/TEA, and SLES
- Item weight of 200 g
- An item package dimensions of 7.4 x 7.4 x 4.1 cm
- Due to its naturally rich content in Vitamin A, E and F it provides the baby’s skin with the essential fatty acids and other nutrients needed for collagen protection
- The Moms Co. Baby’s Diaper Rash Cream also helps to reduce the inflammation of the skin
- It is free from PEGs and other harmful chemicals
- It is tested and fully certified by the Australia-Certified Toxin Free and Australia Allergen Certified
- It is USDA certified and is suitable for three years old or less
- Might not be very thick
7. Aquaphor Baby Advanced Ointment Skin Protectant
This is a very useful diaper rash skin protectant ointment for every nursing mother in India. It is made beautifully made to moisturize and nourish the sensitive skin of the baby.
This helps to protect and enhance the healing process of the baby’s skin.
One thing that makes the Aquaphor Skin Protectant stand out is that the ointment is easy and painless to apply on the baby’s skin. It’s also effortless to wipe off.
It also provides a reliable moisture barrier between the diaper contents (sweat, urine, and poo) and the baby’s skin. The Aquaphor baby diaper rash cream is clinically tested and widely recommended by dermatologists.
- It contains panthenol
- It is also made with glycerin to nourish the skin
- The baby rash cream contains no fragrance
- It is fully formulated with 41% of petrolatum to allow the flow of oxygen
- Unique for different skin infections such as chapped skin and eczema
- It can also be used to protect cuts and scrapes
- One unique importance of the Aquaphor Baby Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment Skin Protectant is that it can be used for multiple uses
- It is a source of moisture barrier between the baby’s skin and diaper contents
- It helps to hasten the healing process of the baby’s skin
- Helps to restore a smooth and healthy skin
- It contains petrolatum
- Quite greasy
8. Pigeon Baby Diaper Rash Cream
The Pigeon Baby diaper rash cream is an essential cream for a baby with dry skin. It is also useful for babies that feel irritated after wearing a diaper.
It is also necessary for the hydration of the baby’s skin. It fully locks in moistures. It is known to be mild and soothing after use. It is highly recommended to prevent dryness from the baby’s delicate skin.
One other factor to consider is that it contains extracts that help in colouring the baby’s skin.
This baby diaper rash cream by Pigeon will also cure prickly spots and sores on the baby’s bottom while preventing others from aggravating.
Pigeon baby cream paraben-free, hypoallergenic, fully enriched with olive, chamomile and rosehip extract. It is pH balanced and dermatologically tested. This makes it a perfect option for newborn babies.
The baby diaper rash cream is fragrance-free, and it is also free from any synthetic colours – this reduces the chances of skin allergies for your babies.
- It has a pH balance of 5.5
- Fully enriched with olive, which helps to soothe and moisturize your little one’s irritated and rash skin
- Comes with an instruction manual
- Enriched with extract of chamomile and rosehip and contains zinc oxide
- Free from any colourization
- Other contents include shea butter, corn oil, and beeswax
- The product is very suitable for newborn babies
- Ideal for the prevention of irritating skin, and rashes
- Fully enriched with soothing ingredients
- It is fragrance-free and hypoallergic
- May not work for a very dry skin
9. Life & Pursuits Baby Diaper Rash Cream
The Life & Pursuits cream popularly known as the Ayurveda baby diaper rash cream is an effective cream for the prevention and treatment of rash for your kids.
It is made from the finest organic and natural ingredients such as calendula. It contains zinc oxide effective and reliable protection against diaper rashes.
It contains non-allergic and cold pressured organic oils. One other unique feature that makes the Ayurveda baby diaper a mother’s delight is that of the medicinal Ayurveda herbs that help heal the baby’s bottom.
It also comes with a very soothing and natural lavender aroma.
- Contains pharmaceutical zinc oxide
- Free from all forms of toxins
- Free from formaldehyde-releasing preservatives
- An authentic Ayurvedic formulation
- Made from 95 percent organic and natural ingredients
- Certified organic by Nature (Europe)
- Herbal Extracts
- Free from mineral oil, colour, synthetic fragrance, BHT/BHA, parabens, silicones, SLS/SLES, and other harmful chemicals
- Item weight of 59 g
- A package dimension of 11.2 x 5.5 x 3.6 cm
- The Life & Pursuits cream is free from all harmful chemicals
- Easily absorbs in the skin
- Comes with beneficial and natural elements
- The cream texture is very soft
- Forms a very effective protective layer
- Has a smell like clay
10. Desitin Original Diaper Rash Ointment
The Desitin rapid relief is very popular among parents in India. It is fully formulated for babies’ delicate skin and known to provide soothing relief to the child.
It is strong enough for the protection of the child overnight. You don’t need to worry about waking up at night to apply new cream on the baby’s rashes.
It does not only soothe and heal but also protects your baby’s bottom. It provides a powerful, long-lasting relief that makes Desitin Maximum a trusted alley for treating diaper rash.
- An active ingredient of zinc oxide (40%)
- No dangerous or unsafe ingredients
- Can last for 12 hours
- Contains inactive ingredients like petrolatum
- It also includes items like cod liver oil, talc, and lanolin
- Some other ingredient includes glycerin, beeswax, and tocopheryl acetate
- Contains some fragrance
- Free from paraben, dyes, and phthalates
- The Desitin ointment is very creamy and smooth to apply
- It is known to have a long-lasting protection
- Comes in a colour that is easy to see and clean
- Clinically tested to provide relief to babies
- Provides relief from a diaper rash almost immediately
- Comes in an easy to use tube
- Has some trace of parabens in the cream
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does citrus, acidic, and particular other food cause a baby rash?
It is believed that some types of food cause rashes, but there is no scientific evidence that these foods are a direct cause of diaper rash. New kinds of foods may cause frequent stooling or diarrhoea that may lead to diaper rash.
2. How do I know that it is not something else apart from diaper rash?
Diaper rash comes more quickly, and it is known to affect the area of the baby’s body that is closer to the diaper. The most common cause of this rash is prolonged and increased exposure to moisture and wetness.
3. What are the common symptoms that I need to look out for in a rash?
Some common symptoms to watch out for on your child’s body is dry raised bumps close to the diaper, pinkness or redness over the parts touch by the diapers, fluid-filled raised bumps, edema, scaling, peeling or dryness of the skin and affected area may be warm to touch.
4. How can I differentiate from a yeast infection?
A yeast infection usually comes with a beefy red rash, lesions outside the diaper, and white scales.
5. I am breastfeeding, can the food that I eat lead to my baby diaper rash?
No. There is no scientific evidence to prove that a particular feeding is a direct cause of diaper rash. But the introduction of a new method of feeding might cause loose stools or diarrhoea.
This can then lead to a diaper rash. Change in the diet of a breastfeeding mom could also lead to loose stools.
6. How long does it take for a baby rash to clear?
With a good cream and proper treatment, the baby’s skin’s rash can clear up within seven days. If the inflammation should persist, cleared and returned or get worse, consult your doctor
7. Should I apply the cream to every part of the baby’s body or just where the red rash is found?
It is more effective to cover the entire diaper area, even if you can’t find any visible signs of a rash.
8. How thick should I apply on the affected area?
Using a clean finger, apply a thick layer on the affected part and diaper area. Try to apply on the affected part with minimal pressure so as not to hurt the baby.
9. Do I clean the boy separate from the girl?
It does not matter if it’s a boy or girl. You will still need to keep the baby diaper dry and clean. The prevention and treatment of diaper rash are quite the same.
For the girls, clean and wipe the genitals from front to back. For the boys, keep the penis clean on both sides.
10. How often should I change the diaper?
Since it might not always be possible to know when your baby diaper is soiled and needs to be changed, it is important to check the diapers as often as possible.
Super-absorbent disposable diapers will reduce the incidence of diaper rash.
11. Do you apply diaper rash cream on the baby after each diaper change?
If your baby is prone to rashes due to sensitive skin, you could use a rash cream regularly after every diaper change. It gives a soothing and cooling effect on your baby.
It can also be applied as a preventive measure so that your baby is protected against rashes.
12. Can you put diaper rash cream on a newborn?
Yes, you can put diaper rash cream on a newborn. You can consult your paediatrician before the application. Also, if your baby has sensitive skin, choose a hypoallergenic diaper rash cream.
14. Which brand manufactures the best diaper rash cream?
The brands that manufacture the best diaper rash cream are as follows:
- Mama Earth
- The Mom’s Co.
The diaper rashes can be excruciatingly painful for babies. The skin’s redness with raised bumps results due to the rubbing of the diaper against the baby’s sensitive skin. It is not treated in time; it may lead to sores or blisters.
Thus, a diaper rashes cream is an essential baby’s care product that helps you treat diaper rashes and prevents their spread. It helps in maintaining healthy and hygienic skin in the sensitive skin areas of babies.
The baby diaper rashes cream is packed with skin-friendly ingredients that take optimal care of the skin’s health and maintain its moisturization. Get a high-quality baby skin rashes cream as nothing is more important than keeping a beatific smile on that cute face.