10 Best Diaper Rash Creams
Diaper baby rashes are a common infection found among babies wearing diapers. This is often a source of pressure and endless headaches for parents. It is important to note that some form of diaper rash can be mild others may lead to severe sores and blisters. This is very painful and leads to unhappy campers while changing baby diapers.
Diaper rashes often come as a result of the wet or infrequent change of the baby’s diapers, chafing, and skin sensitivity.
These baby diaper rashes are often red, bumpy, irritated to touch, and some might be an open sore. Getting a solution to this infection usually leaves most parents to the wit end. This is because each rash has a different cause and ways of treating it.
There are many things to look out for, such as causes of a rash, taking care of a rash, safety tips, and when to see a doctor?. In this article, you will find the different types of products useful for diaper rash along with a buying guide and FAQs for better Understanding. We have listed the 10 best diaper creams! There various precautions to be taken while handling a diaper baby as precautions are always better than a cure.
Top 10 Baby Diaper Rash Cream India
The Best Hypoallergenic Baby Rash Cream
Best when diarrhea is involved
Best Anti-Fungal Cream
Thick and Fast Absorbent
Best For Sensitive Skin
Best Organic Diaper Rash Cream
Best for Toddlers
Causes of Baby Diaper Rash
Different factors lead to diaper rash for newborn babies. Like we stated earlier, a diaper rash is a widespread form of inflammation of the skin (dermatitis) on the bottom of the baby.
Diaper rash can be traced to some sources, which include:
Irritation from stool and urine.
One of the significant causes of baby diaper rash is prolonged exposure to stool and urine. This can irritate the sensitive skin of the baby.
Bacterial or yeast (fungal) infection.
It has been seen that the areas around the genitals, buttocks, and thighs always covered by diapers are more prone to skin infection and rashes. This is because it is vulnerable to moist, which makes it an excellent breeding ground for yeast and bacteria growth.
Chafing or rubbing.
One common cause of rashes in babies is a tight-fitting diaper. This is because it tends to rub against the skin and lead to rashes in the long run.
Use of antibiotics.
Antibiotics are another cause of diaper rash on babies. When a baby takes antibiotics, the bacteria that keep the yeast growth from multiplying is reduced or depleted. This tends to cause an increase in diapers rash due to yeast infection. Antibiotics can also lead to an increase in diarrhea for babies.
Irritation as a result of a new product.
A change in the use of a baby wipes a fabric softener, bleach, or detergent can cause baby diaper rash. Some factors that can lead to an increase in baby diaper rash include ingredients that can be found in some baby oils, powders, diapers, and baby lotions.
Chemicals in diapers can cause a red rash across the skin. This is possible as a result of a reaction to chemicals in disposable diapers. This is often a result of a change to a different brand of diapers.
Chemical residuals in detergents can also be a source of rashes. Chemicals in detergents and fabric softeners can also be a source of an irritant to the baby’s bum. Others include bath products and cream
The introduction of new foods.
The introduction of solid foods leads to a change in the content of the baby’s stool. With this solid food, an increase in baby diaper rashes tends to increase. Also, diaper rash can be a result of the breast milk that the baby takes from the mother.
The sensitivity of the baby’s skin.
The sensitivity of the baby’s skin affects the increase in the baby’s rash. Conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis (eczema) can also lead to diaper rash in babies.
How to identify rash and what are the symptoms
Taking Care of a Baby’s Diaper Rash
In taking care of baby diaper rash, the following steps should be followed in keeping your baby safe.
- Baby diaper rashes should be treated with recommended cream to calm the ranging red skin.
- Babies diapers should be changed as often as possible to avoid prolonged contact with baby urine and stools.
- Endeavor to apply the cream to act as a protective barrier to excess moisture
- Make sure that your hands and fingers are free from bacteria so as not to get into the diaper rash cream while making use of it.
- Go diaper free most time to allow the child freedom from diaper rash.
Safety Precaution in the Use of Baby Diaper Rash Cream
In making use of these creams for the removal of diaper rash from babies, some safety precautions should be adhered to. This includes
- Make sure you keep it out of the reach of children
- As with other dietary supplements, consult your doctor or health care personnel before use
- Read the product label for additional information
- External use only
- Avoid any form of contact with the baby’s eyes
- Avoid ingestion of the product
- Consult the doctor if the symptoms worsen or persist after seven days
When to See a Doctor
It is important to consult the doctor if the skin condition of the baby does not improve after using the products. Here are situations that can necessitate speaking with a doctor
- When the rash becomes so severe or unusual
- When itches accompany it, bleeds or oozes
- Comes with fever
- Is getting worse despite home treatment
- There is pain during bowel movement or urination.
Types of Baby Diaper Rash Products
Different types of diaper rash creams abound in the Indian market giving users the option to choose from. The products come in different form and packages such as
Diaper Rash Creams
Diaper rash creams come in a water-based form. This makes it easy to get absorbed into the baby’s skin and also to spread around. Baby diaper rash creams are the best option for soothing infectious skin.
Diaper Rash Pastes
The paste form is thick and helps to protect the baby’s skin from moisture. It comes with skin conditioners and zinc oxide. The drawback to this is that it can easily stain the baby’s clothing and not recommended if you are using a cloth diaper except it is disposable.
These are an oil-based form of diaper rash products. They act as a good source of barrier against irritants as a result of the greasy and oily nature of the product.
This is another type of moisture absorber made from cornstarch, but since the powder may become airborne, kids can easily inhale it.
Buying Guides for Baby Diaper Rash Cream
In buying a baby diaper rash cream, the following factors should be put into consideration
Type of Rash:
The kind of rashes determines the choice of rash cream. If the child has an irritated bottom, select an ointment or traditional diaper cream. For yeast rash infection, you will need an antifungal cream as other regular diaper rash cream will not help
Cream, Paste, or Ointment:
When you are looking for a product that will act as a preservative, selecting an ointment may be the best choice for you. For healing and soothing the skin, a good cream should be chosen while an ultra-paste could act to protect and heal the skin.
It is essential to understand and know the part used in making the cream. Most of these ingredients can act as irritants to the body.
The sensitivity of the baby’s Skin
Children differ with their skin sensitivity. Some baby’s skin can be dehydrated, while others may be easily wet. Check the label to know the one that suits the baby well. Look out for potential allergens such as mineral oil, lanolin, sunflower oil, beeswax, and coconut oil.
Disposable or Cloth Diapers
The diaper type determines the type of cream used. If you use disposable diapers, there is no need to worry about the greasy nature of the cream. If you use a cloth diaper, go for diaper creams that have no petrolatum to prevent it from clogging the fibers.
Most preservatives are irritant to the baby’s skin. Determine the texture of the baby’s skin in ascertaining the ideal type of diaper rash cream.
Number of Usages
The usage of cream is determined by the percentage of zinc oxide in the cream. It is often difficult for most parents to figure out the rate. For a product that requires daily usage, it requires a little amount of zinc oxide between 10% – 15%. For a persistent rash, it should be between 30% and 40% zinc oxide since it has a thicker cream and coverage
Some parents prefer diaper rash cream that is entirely natural. These are creams that do not contain zinc oxide or petrolatum. These types of cream rely instead on plant-based oils or beeswax to create a moisture barrier.
The cost of the baby rash cream should also be considered when making a purchase.
Every diaper rash cream in the market promises effectiveness and efficiency. No brand states its shortcoming. It is necessary to look out for a brand that works for you, and others with an excellent rating and reviews.
10 Best Baby Rash Creams
1. Sebamed Baby Rash Cream – Our Pick
The Sebamed baby rash cream is for the moisturizing of the baby sensitive part covered by the diaper. This baby rash cream contains a micronized form of Titanium dioxide that acts as a barrier on the skin against wetness. It also helps for faster recovery when it is compared to other products that have a pH7 and zinc oxide.
This cream strongly indicated good skin conditions for areas affected by the diaper area. It is usually used in the genito-anal area after changing and cleaning the diapers. This cream provides a useful kind of relief from the irritation and also reliable protection against diaper rash. With the pH level of 5.5, it normalizes the skin pH when it has been increased by urine contact and occlusion.
- Contains 35 percent of the oil that hydrate and soothe an irritated skin
- It contains natural beeswax, sorbitol, and squalene for optimal hydration of the Childs skin
- It contains Panthenol that heals winds and to also supports the healing process of the skin
- It is made from wheat germ oil
- Contains Chamomile and Lecithin to protect the baby from infection
- It contains a rich supplement of a liquid complex with squalene
- Vernix-related squalane provides the necessary lipid support and protection
- It has an item weight of 81.6 g
- A product dimension of 5.1 x 6.4 x 15.2 cm
- It helps in curing a diaper rash and diaper blister
- It’s one of the best sellers in India
- It fully normalizes the skin of the baby
- Since the cream is thick, it creates a water-phobic layer
- Effective for skin regeneration and the healing of blister skins.
2. Himalaya Diaper Rash Cream – Anti-bacterial properties
The Himalaya diaper rash cream is a powerful rash remover and soothes for newly born babies. With the delicate nature of the baby’s skin, it suffers when it gets in contact with the wet diapers of the baby.
It is a very wonderful product that is ideal for your child’s safety and protection. With the discomfort of the urine and poo, the Himalaya diaper comes as a good alternative. The cream helps in the healing process of the rashes, redness, and irritation of the skin.
- Comprises of five-leaved chaste tree
- It contains almond oil
- The cream contains zinc oxide
- Fully enriched with vitamin A to condition the skin
- Contain Aloe-Vera extracts and Almond Oil and Indian Aloe
- Made from the power of herbs
- Contains Manjishtha (Indian Madder) and Nirgundi (Five-leaved Chaste Tree) to relives the rashes
- It is Pediatrician recommended
- Product weight of 68 g
- It has a product dimension of 0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1 cm
- Ideal for babies from the ages of 1 month and above
- Due to the nature of the ingredient used in making the product, it minimizes inflammation and redness on the baby.
- The product contains natural ingredients that are highly effective to cure the baby’s wounds and ailments.
- It’s free from Parabens, Mineral Oil & Synthetic Colors, the common factors that cause allergies & rashes.
- It is a good cream for hydrating the skin.
- It can be applied to the skin of the baby anytime.
- With the Aloe Vera, it comes with anti-bacterial and astringent properties, used in curing wounds and skin ailments like dermatitis.
- Not so suitable for oily skin
3. The Moms Co. Baby’s Diaper Rash Cream – All Natural
This is a perfect blend of natural butter, oil, and zinc oxide. The Zinc Oxide is powdered oxidized zinc that is gotten from a naturally occurring mineral. It is an excellent skin protectant that is known to help to reduce irritation and redness.
This also helps to reduce skin inflammation. The cream is toxin-free and a very safe and moisturizing solution for the baby’s skin. It is free from other mineral oil and Sulphate.
- A perfect blend of 15 percent of Zinc oxide to provide relief to the baby’s irritating skin
- Contains hypoallergenic features
- Clinically tested
- It contains organic chamomile oil, organic shea butter, and organic Jojoba Oil to moisturize the skin
- It’s free from sulfate and paraben-free
- It is made without SLS, DEA/TEA, and SLES
- Item weight of 200 g
- An item package dimensions of 7.4 x 7.4 x 4.1 cm
- Due to its naturally rich content in Vitamin A, E and F it provides the baby’s skin with the essential fatty acids and other nutrients needed for collagen protection
- The Moms Co. Baby’s Diaper Rash Cream also help to reduce the inflammation of the skin
- It is free from PEGs and other harmful chemicals
- It is tested and fully certified by the Australia-Certified Toxin Free and Australia Allergen Certified
- It is USDA certified and is suitable for three years old or less
- Might not be full thick
4. Mothercare All We Know Baby Nappy Cream – The Best Hypoallergenic Baby Rash Cream
The Mothercare baby nappy cream is made using natural ingredients like olive oil and chamomile. It gives your baby a soothing and cooling effect in the case of rashes caused by diapers.
Moreover, the cream is hypoallergenic and tested by midwives and dermatologist, making it a safe choice to consider. It also acts as a natural moisturizer.
- Quantity: 150 ml.
- Ideal for newborns and onward.
- It contains natural oil extracts like olive oil, which acts as a natural moisturizer and soothing chamomile.
- Tested by a panel of midwives so that it meets the Mothercare’s high standards.
- Tested dermatologically
- It is hypoallergenic, making it safe to use even for sensitive skin.
- It can cool and soothe any discomfort caused by nappies or diapers.
- No negative points observed so far.
5. Aquaphor Baby Advanced Ointment Skin Protectant – Best when diarrhea is involved
This is a very useful diaper rash skin protectant ointment for every nursing mother in India. It is made beautifully made to moisturize and nourish the sensitive skin of the baby. This helps to protect and enhance the healing process of the baby’s skin.
One of the things that make the Aquaphor Skin Protectant stand out is that the ointment is easy and painless to apply on the baby’s skin. It’s also effortless to wipe off. It also provides a reliable moisture barrier between the contents of the diaper (sweat, urine, and poo) and the baby’s skin.
The Aquaphor baby diaper rash cream is clinically tested and widely recommended by dermatologists.
- It contains panthenol
- It is also made with glycerin to nourish the skin
- The baby rash cream contains no fragrance
- It is fully formulated with 41% of petrolatum to allow the flow of oxygen
- Thick and greasy
- Unique for different skin infections such as Chapped skin and eczema.
- It can also be used to protect cuts and scrapes
- One unique importance of the Aquaphor Baby Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment Skin Protectant is that it can be used for multiple uses
- It is a source of moisture barrier between the baby’s skin and diaper contents
- It helps to hasten the healing process of the baby’s skin
- Helps to restore a smooth and healthy skin
- It contains petrolatum
- Too greasy to feel
6. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste – Best Anti-Fungal Cream
The Boudreaux butt paste is a diaper rash cream that contains 16 percent of zinc oxide. This is in paste form and is highly effective for the removal and fast relief for rashes on diaper areas of the baby. It is fully recognized to prevent and treat rashes effectively.
The baby rash paste/cream comes with a thick barrier that protects the baby exposed skin from the accumulated waste and wetness. It is Pediatricians recommend for every baby due to its numerous features as it acts as an effective treatment. It is also known to protect chafed skin of baby’s and help seal off wetness.
- It comes in a paste form
- Contains only six ingredients
- It comprises primarily of zinc oxide (16%)
- No strong medicinal scents and is Free of dye
- FDA fully recognized
- It has an item weight of 499 g
- It has a product dimension of 10.2 x 9.5 x 9.5 cm.
- It is very effective in protecting and treating the bay from diaper rashes and wetness
- Developed by a professional (pharmacist)
- It is designed in a way that it gives a maximum coverage
- The product is also free from preservatives, paraben, Talc, and phthalate
- It is economical since it does not require much use
- The paste is not appropriate for cloth diapers
- It contains petrolatum
7. Sudocrem Diaper Rash Cream – Thick and Fast Absorbant
Parents often agreed that there is nothing as bad as seeing a bad irritation because of the effect of rashes. It is important to use a reliable and effective cream such as Sudocrem diaper rash cream to soothe and protect an aching bum.
The cream is creamy and thick and can spreads easily without it, pulling on the baby’s skin. It is fully tested by physicians and creates a visible barrier so as to provide speedy relief from skin irritations and redness. It comes with no added fragrance.
- The Sudocrem diaper rash cream packaging is sturdy
- Available in multiple sizes
- No added fragrance
- Contains zinc oxide that acts as a barrier
- Water repellant
- Contains a benzyl alcohol
- Sodocrem is also made from benzyl alcohol to ease irritation and pain
- Comes in different sizes of 60 g (2 0z), 250 g (9 oz) and 400 g (14 oz)
- Made from extracts of the following Aqua, beeswax, microcrystalline wax, paraffin liquid, paraffin, butylated hydroxyanisole, lanolin, sorbitan sesquioleate, sodium benzoate, benzyl alcohol, propylene glycol, benzyl cinnamate, benzyl benzoate, lavender, and citric acid
- Item weight of 290 g
- A product dimension of 8.4 x 7.6 x 7.4 cm
- The packaging of the product is sturdy
- The cream is noted to be very fast and effective by past reviewers
- It is creamy, thick, and creates a protective barrier.
- Works well to treat irritation and rash
- Not the best for on-the-go diaper changes
- The cream needs to be scooped out of the tub which might be unhygienic for some.
8. Pigeon Baby Diaper Rash Cream – Best For Sensitive Skin
The Pigeon Baby diaper rash cream is an essential cream for a baby with dry skin. It is also useful for babies that feel irritated after wearing a diaper. It is also necessary for the hydration of the baby’s skin. It fully locks in moistures. Known to be mild and soothing after use.
It is highly recommended to prevent dryness from the baby’s delicate skin. One other factor to consider is that it contains extracts that help in the coloring of the baby’s skin. This baby diaper rash cream by pigeon will also cure prickly spots and sores on the baby’s bottom while preventing others from aggravating.
Pigeon baby cream paraben-free, hypoallergenic, fully enriched with olive, chamomile and rosehip extract. It is pH balanced and dermatologically tested. This makes it a perfect option for newborn babies.
The baby diaper rash cream is fragrance-free, and it is also free from any synthetic colors – this reduces the chances of skin allergies for your babies.
- It has a pH balance of 5.5
- Fully enriched with olive, which helps to soothe and moisturize your little one’s irritated and rash skin.
- Comes with an instruction manual
- Enriched with extract of chamomile and rosehip and Contains zinc oxide
- Free from any colorization
- Other contents include Shea Butter, Aloe Barbendesis Leaf Oil, Corn Oil, and Bees Wax
- The product is very suitable for newborn babies
- Ideal for the prevention of irritating skin, dryness, and rashes
- Fully enriched with soothing ingredients
- It is fragrance-free and Hypoallergic
- May not work for a very dry skin
9. Life & Pursuits: Certified Organic Ayurveda Baby Diaper Rash Cream – Best Organic Diaper Rash Cream
The life & Pursuits cream popularly known as the Ayurveda baby diaper rash cream is an effective cream for the prevention and treatment of rash for your kids. It is made from the finest organic and natural ingredients such as Calendula. It contains zinc oxide effective and reliable protection against diaper rashes.
It contains non-allergic and cold pressured organic oils. One other unique feature that makes the Ayurveda baby diaper a mother’s delight is that of the medicinal Ayurveda herbs that help in healing the baby’s bottom. It also comes with a very soothing and natural lavender aroma.
- Contains Pharmaceutical Zinc Oxide
- Free from all forms of toxins
- Free from formaldehyde-releasing preservatives
- An authentic Ayurvedic formulation
- Made from 95 percent organic and natural ingredients
- Certified organic by Nature (Europe)
- Herbal Extracts
- Free from mineral oil, color, synthetic fragrance, BHT/BHA, parabens, Silicones, SLS/SLES, and other harmful chemicals
- Item weight of 59 g
- A package dimension of 11.2 x 5.5 x 3.6 cm
- Actives: Zinc Oxide (Yashad Bhasma), Organic Curcuma Longa (Haldi) Ext., Organic Azadirachta Indica (Neem) Ext., Organic Ocimum Sanctum (Tulsi) Ext., Rubia Cordifolia (Manjishta) Ext. • Base: Organic Sunflower Oil, Lavandin Oil, Organic Sesame Oil, Patchouli Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Mustard Oil, Organic Bees Wax, Organic Castor Oil, Tocopherol (derived from Soybean Oil), Lavender Oil, Organic Calendula Ext.
- The life & Pursuits cream is free from all harmful chemicals
- Easily absorbs in the skin
- Comes with beneficial and natural elements
- The cream texture is very soft
- Forms a very effective protective layer
- Has a smell like clay.
10. Desitin Original Diaper Rash Ointment – Best for Toddlers
The Desitin rapid relief is very popular among parents in India. It is fully formulated for babies’ delicate skin and known to provide soothing relief to the child, rated as one of the best choices for moms and pediatricians.
It is strong enough for the protection of the child overnight. You don’t need to worry about waking up at night to apply new cream on the baby’s rashes. Desitin Rapid Relief Diaper Rash Cream is known to be fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, and thoroughly tested by dermatologists.
It does not only soothe and heal but also protects your baby’s bottom. It provides a powerful, long-lasting relief that makes Desitin Maximum a trusted alley for treating diaper rash
- An active ingredient of zinc oxide (40%)
- No dangerous or unsafe ingredients
- Can last for 12 hours
- Contains inactive ingredients like petrolatum
- It also includes items like cod liver oil, talc, and lanolin
- Some other ingredient includes glycerin, beeswax, tocopheryl acetate, and sorbitan sesquioleate
- Contain some fragrance
- Free from paraben, dyes, and phthalates
- Free from hypoallergenic
- The Desitin ointment is very creamy and smooth to apply
- It is known to have a long-lasting protection
- Comes in a color that is easy to see and clean
- Clinically tested to provide relief to babies
- Provides relief from a diaper rash almost immediately
- Comes in an adorable and beautiful tub
- Has some trace of parabens in the cream
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does citrus, acidic, and certain other food cause baby rash?
It is believed that some types of food cause rashes, but there is no scientific evidence that these foods are a direct cause of diaper rash. New kinds of foods may cause frequent stooling or diarrhea that may lead to diaper rash.
2. How do I know that it is not something else apart from diaper rash?
Diaper rash comes more quickly, and it is known to affect the area of the baby’s body that is closer to the diaper. And the most common cause of this rash is as a result of prolonged and increased exposure to moisture and wetness
3. What is the common symptom that I need to look out for?
Some common symptoms to watch out for on your child’s body that is close to the diaper are dry raised bumps, pinkness or redness over the parts touch by the diapers, fluid-filled raised bumps, edema, scaling, peeling or dryness of the skin and affected area may be warm to touch.
4. How can I differentiate from a yeast infection?
A yeast infection usually comes with a beefy red rash, lesions outside the diaper, and white scales.
5. I am breastfeeding, can the food that I eat lead to my baby diaper rash?
No scientific evidence to prove that a particular feeding is a direct cause of diaper rash. But the introduction of a new method of feeding might cause loose stools or diarrhea. This can then lead to a diaper rash. Changing in the diet of a breastfeeding mom could also lead to loose stools.
6. How long does it take for a baby rash to clear?
With a good cream and proper treatment, the rash on the baby’s skin can clear up within seven days. If the rash should persist, cleared and returned or get worse, consult your doctor
7. Should I apply the cream to every part of the baby’s body or just where the red rash is found?
It is more effective to cover the entire diaper area, even if you can’t find any visible signs of a rash
8. How thick should I apply on the affected area?
With the use of a clean finger, apply a thick layer on the affected part and diaper area. Try to apply on the affected part with minimal pressure so as not to hurt the baby.
9. Do I clean the boy separate from the girl?
It does not matter if it’s a boy or girl; you will still need to keep the baby diaper dry and clean. The prevention and treatment of diaper rash are quite the same. For the girls, clean and wipe the genitals from front to back. For the boys, keep the penis clean at both side
10. How often should I change the diaper?
Since it might not always be possible to know when your baby diaper is soiled and needs to be changed. It is important to check the diapers as often as possible. Super-absorbent disposable diapers will reduce the incidence of diaper rash
11. What happened if my baby licked the rash cream?
As it is with other baby products, keep it out of the reach of little children
12. Do you apply diaper rash cream on the baby after each diaper change?
If your baby is prone to rashes due to sensitive skin, you could use a rash cream regularly after every diaper change. It gives a soothing and cooling effect on your baby. It can also be applied as a preventive measure so that your baby is protected against rashes.
13. Can you put diaper rash cream on a newborn?
Yes, you can put diaper rash cream on a newborn. You can consult your pediatrician before the application. Also, if your baby has sensitive skin, choose a hypoallergenic diaper rash cream. You can go for the Sebamed Baby Rash Cream and Mother All We Know Baby Rash Cream.
14. Which brand manufactures the best diaper rash cream?
The brands that manufacture the best diaper rash cream are as follows:
- Mama Earth
- The Mom’s Co.
It is tricky to pick the right diaper cream for your baby since different rashes are a result of numerous factors. But for our pick, we go for the Sebamed Baby Rash Cream and Desitin baby diaper rash ointment. This is because they are natural and free from almost all types of allergens. That does not stop you from choosing the one that suits your baby’s skin and even products with antifungal properties as it may help to prevent and protect against yeast.