Best Baby Oral Care Products
If your baby has healthy teeth, you’ll always be a happy parent since healthy teeth will make you have an overall healthy baby. They help your baby to eat as well as form sounds and words. Teeth also affect how your little angel grows. Strong oral care also makes kids develop perfect dental habits as they grow.
Ensure that your baby’s teeth get the best care at all times. Even if you do this for a short time, you should know that their health is essential to your kid’s future permanent teeth. When cleaning his teeth, clean the tongue if you want to get rid of bad breath.
Getting the right oral care products can be a difficult task since there are plenty of them in the market today. You need to know what to look out for in such products to ensure that you do not end up with low-quality ones that fail to work after a few days of use. You also don’t want to get a product that exposes your little one to harm.
In this review, you’ll get to know the essentials that you need to purchase if you want to keep your kid’s mouth clean at all times. You’ll also learn a few tips on how to brush your baby’s teeth, when to change the toothbrush, how to keep your baby from eating toothpaste and even some tips on baby tooth care.
Top 9 Baby Oral Care Products
Best ergonomic feature
Best teether toothbrush
Best safety feature
Best durability feature
Best flavor feature
Best natural toothpaste
ease of use
Baby Oral Care Essentials
As soon as your baby develops her first tooth, you need to arm yourself with a toothbrush. The brush should have soft bristles to avoid hurting your baby’s delicate mouth. Use it at least twice a day if you want to keep her mouth clean free of bad breath causing bacteria.
When it comes to selecting a toothbrush for your toddler, there are five different types to choose from,
Baby gum brush
A gum brush helps in cleaning kids’ gums before or after the first teeth emerge. These types of brushes can fit any finger like a thimble. Others come in a wrap form enabling you to wrap around your finger when cleaning your baby’s mouth.
Baby gum brushes work perfectly in the mouth with fewer teeth.
This brush helps to relieve your baby of gum pain and also cleans your baby’s mouth. When using this brush, you won’t have to use toothpaste since your infant’s chewing scrapes and cleans the teeth on its own.
First baby toothbrush
This toothbrush type has very soft bristles and will help you clean his first teeth. When using it, you can add fluoride free toothpaste (a small amount).
Baby/Toddler electronic toothbrush
When using this one-year-old toothbrush to clean your baby’s teeth, it’ll do a lot scrubbing for you. All you’ll have to do is a little amount of baby toothpaste and wave the brush across your baby’s teeth and gums as it whirs.
Such a toothbrush comes specifically made for independent toddlers who can hold it and clean their teeth by themselves. For them to use the brush correctly, you’ll need to give them some lessons at first.
When your baby pops up his first tooth, you’ll need to get toothpaste to help you in cleaning his mouth. At no time should you use adult toothpaste as these contain ingredients that may cause a lot of harm to your little one. Baby toothpaste contain mild ingredients that won’t harm them if swallowed and supplements for their teeth.
There are a lot of toothpaste brands for kids in the market today, and all you’ll need is to get one that suits your baby best.
Cleaning your baby’s tongue is an unavoidable process even though a difficult one. You’ll most probably face resistance from your little one when you try to wash their tongue the first time, but you still have to do it anyway.
Proper cleaning of the tongue helps in preventing bad breath as well as bacterial accumulations. It also protects your baby from oral infections and diseases that affect gums and teeth.
You can also use a washcloth to clean your baby’s mouth. All you need to ensure is that the cloth is clean, sterilized and safe enough to use on your baby’s mouth. You’ll need warm water to dampen the washcloth before inserting it in your baby’s mouth.
Tips on Baby Tooth Care
These tips will enable you to take care of your baby’s teeth
Start before your baby’s first tooth pops up
You need to start cleaning your baby’s mouth way before her teeth come in. Always wipe the gums off after every feeding. You can use a wet washcloth or dampened piece of gauze wrapped around your finger. You can also choose to use thimble-like soft rubbery devices to rub off excess food.
Take care of them immediately they show up
Start taking care of your baby’s teeth when they come in. Doing so is important since the first teeth preserve space for the permanent ones. They also help kids chew and talk. Should you fail to take great care of them, they can decay leading to problems such as gum infections.
Ensure that your baby’s teeth are free of activities at all costs. The first signs of the condition are discoloration and minor pitting. Certain behaviors like putting your baby to bed with a bottle of milk can cause cavities on your little angel’s teeth, and you should, therefore, avoid them.
Brush your baby’s teeth with toothpaste at age 2
After your baby’s teeth have grown in, you need to start brushing them with a first baby toothbrush and fluoride free toothpaste. Use only a small smear of the toothpaste. Brush your kids’ teeth at least twice a day.
Regulate your baby’s fluoride intake
Once your baby attains 36 months of age, they can start using fluoride toothpaste when brushing his teeth. You, however, need to regulate the amount he uses every time he brushes his teeth. Let him use a little amount (small like the size of a grain of rice). A little fluoride won’t do your baby harm; in fact, it prevents tooth decay.
Schedule a dental exam
Ensure that you take your baby for the first dental exam when his first tooth appears. Taking him for a dental exam is a critical part of preventive healthcare. Your kid’s doctor will examine his teeth and evaluate the risk of tooth decay.
When to change your baby’s toothbrush
You should always get a new toothbrush for your baby after three months of use. Sometimes, however, the lifespan of a toothbrush may be shortened by wearing out of the bristles which fail to carry out proper cleaning.
You also need to replace your baby’s toothbrush if your baby falls sick especially with flu or a cold. Bacteria can settle on the bristles prolonging the sickness, something you would never want to happen to your kid. Replace the toothbrush with a new one after he recovers.
Tooth Brushing Tips for Babies
- Brush your baby’s teeth twice a day. If they can brush by themselves, monitor them as they do it. Teach them how to move the brush in a circular motion and also how to be gentle to avoid hurting his gums. Let him know that he should also cover every surface in his mouth.
- Use a little amount of toothpaste if your baby can spit it out. Since they’ll be using only a small amount, there’s no need for rinsing.
- Ensure that your baby brushes his teeth after taking sweets and sugary snacks as these can damage their teeth and cause cavities.
- Set a good example for your kids. They learn what’s around them and if they see you practicing good oral hygiene, they’ll copy your good behavior.
How to prevent your kid from eating toothpaste
- Store it in a high place where your kid can’t get hold of it.
- Teach your baby to spit when brushing his teeth. It might take a while, but with time, they’ll get used to it.
- Use mint flavored kinds of toothpaste if your baby doesn’t seem to outgrow the problem. A strongly flavored mint will discourage him from eating it. However, note that you should only use mint flavored toothpaste on older kids.
- Brushing your teeth together with your kid is also another way of keeping
A good toothbrush is an essential tool for your baby’s oral health. Since your baby can’t get one for their own, you have to make a wise decision for him.
The following are the things to look out for when buying a toothbrush for your little angel.
Soft rounded bristles
A toothbrush with soft round bristles will help clean your baby’s teeth without hurting his mouth. The good thing about round bristles is that they do not fray up with ease. Your baby’s gum will remain intact even after a thorough brush and thus the best for your baby. Hard rubber bristles do not contain extra cleaning properties but will only cause harm.
Before buying a toothbrush, check the package to get an idea of the bristles it contains.
Your baby’s toothbrush head should be small enough to fit in his mouth and clean all the spots. It should also fit between his cheeks and back molars with ease. To get the accurate size, go for a toothbrush specially designed for kids.
The shape of the handle
Baby toothbrushes come in different handle shapes. There are those that come angled, others curved and others with a vibrating mode. Always go for a shape that will make your baby comfortable when cleaning his teeth.
Also, consider whether the handle is big enough for your baby to hold and brush for a couple of minutes. Go for one with a rubber grip as this will be easier for them to grip.
You also have to put into consideration the age of your little one before purchasing a toothbrush for him. An infant won’t use the same toothbrush as that of a three-year-old toddler and vice versa. You can use a washcloth to clean your newborn’s mouth but not a preschooler.
The toothpaste you use to brush your baby’s teeth can make a huge difference in his overall health. There are many types of toddler toothpaste in the market and getting the right one for your baby may be a little tricky.
To get the best, you need to look out for the following things.
Toothpaste with fluoride will be of great help to you since it helps to prevent food decay. It should however only get used when your baby can spit out after brushing his teeth. You should never leave your child to brush alone when using this type of toothpaste.
Fluoride is essential to young kids, and no one should discourage you from using it if your baby is of age. It is usually present in tap water to ensure that your baby receives an adequate amount at all times. Before your baby starts using a fluoride toothpaste, seek his doctor’s consent.
Kid friendly flavors
Look for a toothpaste with flavors if you want to have an easy time with your baby when cleaning his mouth. With fruity flavors such as strawberry, banana, and watermelon, your baby might even enjoy the experience of brushing his teeth.
You should however not force your baby to use a certain flavor. Kids can be choosy, and you might have to buy several types from different brands before you get one that he falls in love with.
Ensure that you go through all the ingredients making a particular toothpaste before purchasing it for your little one. Choose one without chemicals that can harm your kid. Avoid toothpaste with sodium lauryl sulphate(SLS) as this can cause painful sores after use in some kids.
When you go for an all-natural toothpaste, you’ll minimize the chances of exposing your baby to harsh chemicals. The natural toothpaste you go for should have an ADA seal of acceptance. Go for one that will protect your baby’s teeth.
Some baby paste come with additional supplements that improve kids’ dental health. Such supplements include lactates, calcium, vitamins or minerals. If possible, always go for toothpaste that offers supplements for your baby’s healthier teeth and gums.
Go for a toothpaste with a tube that is easy for your baby to squeeze. Avoid those with tubes that can burst or get messy from use. Also, look for those with caps that kids can’t open with ease as this will prevent them from eating the toothpaste.
Consider the following when purchasing a tongue brush for your baby.
- Soft bristles
The tongue is one of the most delicate body organs and should therefore always get handled with a lot of care. To clean your baby’s tongue, you need a brush with very soft bristles. If you wouldn’t want to undergo discomforts when cleaning your tongue, let your baby not suffer from this experience too.
Ease of use
Always go for baby grooming items that you can use with ease. Only purchase a tongue cleaner that you can use to clean your baby comfortably and with a lot of ease. Look for one with the right handle size and shape as well. Remember that tongue cleaning isn’t an experience that kid’s like and should, therefore, take you the least time possible. To do so, you need a brush that you can use with a lot of ease.
Get a tongue brush that your baby can use for the longest time possible. You do not want to keep on going for shopping sprees from time to time just because of a brush. You’ll save yourself all the trouble and money as well.
Consider the following when looking for washcloths to clean your baby’s mouth.
Look for washcloths with the softest fabric. You do not want a rough fabric that may end up hurting your baby’s delicate tongue. Go for cotton and flannel washcloths at all times.
Hypoallergenic and bacterial free
Buy washcloths that are free of allergens that can make your baby suffer from allergic reactions and bacterial infections. Always lead through the label to be sure that you got the right washcloths for your baby.
Easy to clean
The washcloths you go for should be very easy to clean. Get one with a fabric that you can wash and sterilize with ease. The washcloths should also dry up with ease.
1. Johnson’s Baby Toothbrush – our pick
Johson’s products pass through a five-level safety assurance process, and this toothbrush is no exception. The toothbrush is very light in weight and thus best for your young one. It has a swift neck that allows quick and easy movement inside your baby’s mouth. If your baby refuses to open his mouth properly, the flexible head helps a great deal.
It also contains mild, gentle and effective bristles that makes it easy for your kid to clean his teeth without getting hurt.
- The product has passed through a five-level assurance process and thus very safe for your baby.
- Has ultra-soft bristles that clean kids’ teeth effectively without bringing them harm.
- Has a swift neck that helps clean all the corners of your baby’s mouth.
- Has a unique thumb groove that keeps the brush from slipping down your baby’s hand.
- Small and comfortable for your baby to hold and use
- Gentle on your little one’s mouth
- Comes at an affordable price
- Very light in weight
- Very small in size
2. Chicco Toothbrush – Best ergonomic feature
This toothbrush has a small rounded head and a thick neck to fit your baby’s tiny mouth. The ultra-fine tapered bristled will work magic on his mouth even when suffering from irritated gums. They are extra soft for a delicate action ensuring proper cleaning at all times.
It has a slightly angled neck that makes it possible for your baby to reach every corner of his mouth when using it. It also comes with a large anti-slip handle for a comfortable grip. To keep the brush clean at all times, even when not in use, it comes with a cover.
- Has a small rounded head that makes it possible to fit in kids’ tiny mouths.
- Has soft bristles that help to keep your baby’s mouth and gums safe from irritation.
- Comes with an anti-slip handle that enables kids to hold it comfortably and with ease.
- Comes with a cover to protect it from dust and dirt.
- Contains very soft bristles that are safe to use on babies
- Comfortable to hold thanks to the non-slip handle
- Easy to clean and sterilize
- The cover makes it easy for you to keep it clean and safe for your kid’s use at all times
- Hard bristles for kids below three years of age
- A little expensive when compared to others
3. Maxbell Baby Banana Toothbrush Teether with Soft Bristles – best teether toothbrush
If looking for a toothbrush that will help clean your baby’s mouth and also relieve him of teething discomforts, this is the toothbrush to go for. It is made of 100% quality food grade silicone and thus very safe in your baby’s mouth.
This toothbrush is a baby’s first and will help them to learn good oral hygiene habits early. It is dishwasher and freezer safe, a feature that makes it very easy to clean. The toothbrush is also BPA, latex, and phthalates free thus the best to use on your baby’s delicate mouth.
It has easy to grasp peeling banana handles and also contains massages bristles for teething relief. It will help remove food and milk particles from your baby’s mouth with ease. Continuous use of the toothbrush will help your baby to develop hand/eye/mouth coordination.
- Contains handles that are easy to grasp making it possible for kids to hold it with ease.
- Made from 100% food grade silicone thus very safe to use on your baby’s mouth.
- Has massaging bristles that relieve your baby’s gum of teething pain.
- Comes with a plastic case that keeps it safe from dust.
- Sturdy enough to work as a teething toy
- Feels safe for babies as it has exceptionally soft bristles
- Good quality and very easy for kids to hold
- Easy to clean and carry around
- Very small in size
- Makes it difficult to brush the molar
4. Gutar Goo Soft Silicone Baby Finger Massage Toothbrush – best safety feature
This baby finger brush will help you clean your baby’s mouth with a lot of ease since it will fit on your index finger without any difficulty. You can use it to massage your baby’s gum and clean his teeth as well. The toothbrush will give your baby relieve from soreness when teething.
The toothbrush complies with FDA standards of safety as 100% non-toxic, and BPA free soft silicone materials make it. The transparent brush reflects the milk and food particles being removed helping you to clean your baby’s oral cavity more thoroughly and with ease.
With this baby finger brush, you’ll be able to clean your baby’s mouth from anywhere since it’s very portable. Put it in your diaper bag, and you’ll be good to go. It is approved and also recommended by most pediatrics and thus the best.
- Made from premium quality silicone thus durable.
- Has soft and beautiful pressure points that help stimulate kid’s gums.
- Fits with ease on adult’s index finger making it easy to use.
- Has soft bristles that help in cleaning baby’s teeth.
- Provides relief to kids’ tender gums when teething
- Easy to clean, sterilize and store
- Best for molar teeth cleaning
- Easy to carry around
- Not sturdy
5. Mee Mee Tender Tongue Cleaner Brush – Best durability feature
This tongue cleaner is designed keeping in mind kid’s delicate oral cavity. It is comfortable to hold and will, therefore, help you to smoothly remove milk residues from your baby’s mouth with a lot of ease. It is made of safe and quality materials and thus very safe for your baby. The cleaner will last for a very long time if well handled.
To maintain your baby’s oral health with this tongue cleaner, you need to keep it clean at all times. Also, avoid pushing it deep inside your baby’s mouth as it can choke him. Always rinse and sterilize it after use.
- Made from high-quality materials that make it last for long.
- Has a strong grip that enables you to remove milk deposits from your baby’s mouth with ease.
- Contains soft bristles that help to clean kids’ tongues without harming them.
- Ergonomically designed and thus easy to use.
- Cleans with ease without hurting the baby
- Cleans kids’ tongues effectively
- Completely safe to use
- Keeps germs and bacteria away
- Many users appreciated its quality
- Not easy to use on newborns
- Not effective on older kids
6. Chicco Toothpaste – Best flavor feature
Do you have a baby who likes to throw tantrums when she realizes that she has to brush her teeth? Worry no more since this toothpaste from Chicco will get her brushing her teeth at least twice in a day. It comes in a sweet strawberry flavor and thus a favorite for most kids.
The toothpaste is free of fluoride and parabens thus very safe for your little one to use. You won’t have to worry even if your baby swallows it as no harm will come her way. You only require a tiny amount of the toothpaste to get a nice foam that’ll leave your little one’s mouth sparkling clean.
The toothpaste is specially formulated for kids and contains low abrasion formula. It is a gentle formula that will help keep your little angel’s mouth free of bad breath at all times.
- Contains preservatives with xylitol that keeps your baby safe from teeth cavities.
- Has a sweet strawberry flavor that entices kids into using it.
- Free of fluoride and parabens thus safe for kids.
- By using it, your baby will never suffer from cavities since it contains xylitol
- Requires you to use only a tiny amount and thus lasts long as a result
- Very gentle on little ones
- Cleans well without being harsh on your baby’s mouth
- Prevents cavities and strengthens the teeth
- Not suitable for kids who hate strawberry
- A user complains of no expiry date details
- Some kids find it a bit overly sweet
7. Mama Earth 100% Natural Berry Blast Kids Toothpaste – Best natural toothpaste
If looking for an all-natural toothpaste for your baby, you can never go wrong with this one. It comes with specially formulated with ingredients like Aloe Vera, stevia and xylitol that helps clean your baby’s mouth without causing any irritations or allergic reactions. It promotes healthy teeth and gums meaning that your baby will have the best dental hygiene.
Your kid will develop a habit of cleaning his teeth after every meal once you introduce it to him. It comes at a reasonable price and offers you great value for your money.
- Made with 100% natural ingredients thus safe for your baby.
- Fluoride free and SLS free and will have no adverse effects on your baby if swallowed.
- Has an easy to squeeze tube making it easy to dispense the toothpaste.
- Has a strawberry flavor that entices kids to use it.
- Removes plaque with ease
- Strengthens kids’ gums
- Not very expensive
- 100% safe and toxin free
- Bad breath morning after
- The toothpaste tube comes without a rim
8. Fisher Price Silicone Baby Finger Brush – Ease of use
This finger brush is made from pure silicon material and will thus clean and protect your baby’s gums at all times. It is dual sided to clean your baby’s teeth and massage your baby’s gums with ease. It is easy to carry as it comes with a small storage case.
It has soft bristles that are sturdy enough to last for more than three than three months. The toothbrush is very effective and will help you teach your kid how to brush his teeth.
The brush is finger-shaped and will fit on your index finger correctly making it easy for you to clean your little one’s mouth.
- Made from 100% non-toxic silicone and therefore safe for kids to use
- Dual-sided to clean your kid’s teeth and gum effectively
- Has soft bristles to clean your kid’s teeth without hurting her
- Comes with a storage case that makes it easy for you to carry when traveling.
- Soft on baby’s teeth and gum
- Easy to clean and sterilize
- Durable and effective
- Made from non-toxic materials thus very safe
- Kids keep on biting it
- Not very effective in cleaning kid’s teeth as it’s too soft
9. Cossy Tossy Lollipop Tongue Cleaner for Kids – Unique design
This cleaner will keep your little one free from oral bacteria. Its head that touches the head directly has a soft antibiotic rubber that is free of toxic materials. Your baby will always remain safe when using it. You’ll have nothing to worry about if you clean and sterilize it after every use.
You will most likely not encounter any problems with your baby when trying to clean his tongue with it. Its shape arouses curiosity in kids making them want to use it daily.
To get the best results, moisten the brush with water and brush your kid’s extended tongue back and forth. Clean the entire tongue surface using the shortest time possible. After use, rinse it with warm water.
- Made of soft antibiotic rubber therefore safe for your baby.
- Comes in a lollipop shape that arouses curiosity in kids making them want to use it at all times.
- Effectively eliminates tongue fur and bacteria keeping your little angel’s mouth fee of bad breath.
- It is made from high-quality materials thus durable.
- Comes in a fun design that makes tongue brushing fun
- Keeps your kid’s tongue clean and healthy at all times
- Makes kids develop perfect oral care habits by themselves
- No user has specified any negative point about the product
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When should I stop brushing my baby’s teeth?
Dentists recommend that a parent should brush their kid’s teeth until they can tie their shoelaces comfortably at around six years of age. Even so, you should always monitor him when cleaning his mouth to ensure that he does it correctly.
2. Can I brush my newborn’s tongue?
Yes, you should. As long as your baby is feeding, he will always have a dirty tongue that needs to get cleaned like any other part of the body. Just get a soft washcloth and dampen it with warm water to carry out the process successfully.
3. When should I brush my baby’s gums?
You have to clean your baby’s gums even before his first tooth appears. You can use gauze or a soft, warm washcloth to wipe his gums clean anytime throughout the day especially after feeding.
4. What should I do if even after cleaning my baby’s mouth the bad breath doesn’t go away?
All you need to do is visit your kid’s doctor for medication. Do not ignore the symptoms as this could lead to a bigger problem. The only way to finding a solution is by consulting a doctor.
5. How do I clean my baby’s mouth after brushing?
After brushing your baby’s teeth with fluoride toothpaste, do not rinse his mouth with water. Let the fluoride sit on the teeth as long as possible as it prevents tooth decay.
Your baby’s oral health should never be compromised since it affects their overall body health. The earlier you start taking care of your little one’s mouth, the better. When he gets of age, your baby will follow the right habits and always maintain good oral hygiene.
All the tips in this review will help you keep your baby’s mouth clean and fresh at all times. Go through all the listed products and select those that you feel will work great for your little pumpkin. Our Picks – Mee Mee Tender Tongue Cleaner Brush, Johnson’s Baby Toothbrush andChicco Toothpaste.