Best Baby Nail Care Products
Babies have a natural tendency to suck on their fingers all the time. Thus, it is important to ensure that their nails are well trimmed. This will prevent them from ingesting the dirt under their nails, which could cause diseases.
To get your baby’s nails neat, you’ll require the best baby grooming products in the market. Their nails are quite soft compared to adults, so they do not need sharp blades. It is advisable to use a special nail cutting kit for babies.
In this review, we will go through all the nail care essentials you need to keep your little one’s nails clean. We will also learn some tips of nail trimming that you need to follow if you want to carry out the exercise successfully as well as the importance of nail trimming. We have also mentioned a comprehensive buyers guide, FAQ’s and our Top 9 recommended products.
Top 9 Baby Nail Care Products
Best affordable nail kit
Safe and Durable
Best easy to grip feature
Long Lasting Blades
Best safety feature
Best electric nail trimmer
Best durability feature
Best ease of use feature
Importance of Trimming Your Baby’s Nails
By cutting your baby’s nails short, you’ll be keeping them safe from the danger of scratching themselves accidentally. Trimming your baby’s nails will also protect you from getting scratched when you hold them.
Toddlers and young kids are exploring, filled with curiosity and always touching everything. As a result, they get dirty where some of the dirt gets trapped underneath their nails. Getting this dirt out can be quite a challenging task if they have long nails. You also need to know that this trapped dirt can lead to the transmission of diseases.
Most kids with long nails tend to bite them off as they feel uncomfortable. To prevent your them from picking up this habit, make it a routine to trim their nails short.
Trimming their nails keeps them safe from health hazards. It also helps to teach good personal hygiene habits that they’ll follow them throughout their lives even without your watch.
How to trim your baby’s nails
The best time to cut your little one’s nails is when they are asleep. You can also trim their nails right after taking a bath when the nails are softest.
Ensure that you use baby scissors or clippers even if you have adult ones at home. Adult clippers are sharper and heavier and can injure your baby terribly should an accident happen. You should never use them on your baby’s tiny nails.
To successfully trim your baby’s nails without hurting them, press the finger pad away from the nail as this will stop nicking the skin. Keep a firm hold of your kid’s hand as you clip the nails. Cut the fingernails along the curves and the toenails straight across.
If you want to trim your baby’s nails when awake, you might require your partner’s help. Ask them to hold the baby’s hand and keep them from wriggling as much as possible. You can also ask a sibling or friend to distract the baby.
In the first few weeks of a newborn’s life, doctors recommend that you use an emery board as the nails are still fragile and soft. As a new parent, you are also likely to accidentally clip your baby’s skin and thus the need to be extra careful.
Baby Nail Care Essentials
Baby Nail Clippers
There are three types of baby clippers namely; the traditional style, nail scissors, and the battery powered ones. The traditional clippers look like the adult clippers, most likely the ones you use yourself. The battery powered ones, though not very popular, make the work of trimming and filing your baby’s nails much more comfortable.
Nail scissors work best when your little one’s nails are still thin. You use the scissors to cut the edge and peel the rest of the nail like you would do to a piece of paper. Using scissors also gives you the best visibility when compared to clippers.
The only drawback with baby nail scissors is that you can’t use them when your baby grows older. You’ll use them for a few months. If you choose to go for clippers, you’ll find that these will give you years of service.
Toenails are thicker than fingernails and might require you to use clippers instead of scissors. You might also consider using the clippers on your little one’s toenails since they’ll be a bit older by the time you decide to cut them.
After trimming your baby’s nails, you’ll need an emery board or a file to smoothen them. Your baby can still get hurt by the rough nails if left that way, and that’s why you need to carry out this vital manicure tool.
An emery board is a strip of wood or card that comes coated with emery or any other abrasive. The board gently grinds down and shapes the edges of your baby’s nails making them look neat at all times. They are very effective when you want to trim your newborn’s tiny nails since filing them is enough.
Source of light
You will need a source of bright light to ensure that you see what you are doing. This will also highlight the fleshy pink part of nails. You do not want to risk cutting your baby’s soft and delicate skin.
Nail Clippers and Nail Scissor
The following are the things to look out for when purchasing baby nail clippers.
A light will let you see if you are almost cutting your baby’s soft skin or nail in a dark room. You’ll be able to trim your baby’s nails even at night. An in-built LED light helps you achieve this purpose.
If you only want to hold your baby’s hand up against a trimmer as it helps you cut your baby’s nails, go for a battery powered unit.
A magnifying glass will enable you to get a better look at what you are doing. It will prevent you from accidentally nicking your baby’s delicate skin.
Go for cheerful colors, characters and designs as these help reduce your baby’s anxiety while trimming.
Some trimmers come with emery boards that help to smoothen the rough edges of nails that trimming leaves behind. Using an emery board for the first time might be a little tricky for you, but with time, it’ll pay off.
Always look for a pair that comes with large handles for a firm grip. You do not want to experience the struggle between trying to keep your little one still and holding small handles of the trimmer. Such handles will only make your work difficult.
If going for a pair of nail scissors, look out for the tip. It should ideally have a round tip.
A pair of round-tipped nail scissors will protect your little one from getting hurt even if the tip comes into contact with her soft skin.
A spy hole on a nail clipper will always keep you on alert whenever an accident is about to happen. With it, your baby will always remain safe from injuries.
Get a pair of baby nail clippers with curved edges at all times. These edges make it easier for you to avoid cutting something that you shouldn’t.
When going for any product, you have to ensure that it will last for a long time before you pay for it. You do not want to keep on spending your hard earned money on a particular item from time to time.
Always consider the price of the nail grooming item you have in mind. Does it match your budget? If it does, then go ahead and pay for it, if your answer is in the negative, there’s no need to worry since you can still get an alternative from a different brand at a price you can afford.
Most baby manicure kits come with a nail file or emery boards, and you, therefore, won’t go through a lot of trouble when looking for one. Some nail clippers also come with emery boards. If you decide to go for an emery board for your baby, consider the following.
Soft and Gentle
Your baby’s nails are soft and hence the need for a file that’ll work. It shouldn’t split your baby’s nails but only help smoothen them up.
Always go for a file with a thin width as it will give you easy access to your baby’s nails. A thick one will only give you a difficult time when trying to trim their nails. You can even end up roughing up the delicate skin around her fingers.
Get your baby an emery board that lasts for a long time, even after frequent use. Even if you’ll get it a higher cost than others, it’s worth going for.
1. Syga Baby Infant and Toddler Grooming Kit with Scissors – Best affordable nail kit
If looking for the best manicure and pedicure grooming kit for your baby, this set from Syga will help you a great deal. It comes with a pair of nail scissors, clippers, a nail file, and tweezers. It is the perfect grooming set for your baby.
The nail file helps in trimming nails without shredding the nails or hurting the skin around your baby’s nails. It also has a pair of plastic handles that will help you to trim your baby’s nails comfortably.
You can always cut the nails short within the least time possible with the help of these tools.
- The scissors come with ergonomic handles that make them easy to use.
- Has a double-sided nail file that helps trim your newborn’s nails with ease.
- The tools have rust-free stainless steel parts that make them durable.
- The clipper has a rounded handle that makes it easier to maneuver around your baby’s fingers and toes.
- The tools are of excellent quality and last for long.
- The kit makes a perfect gift for a baby shower.
- Very easy to use tools.
- The kit comes with a beautiful storage case.
- Nail clipper handle is too big.
2. NEPEE Baby Nail Clipper Safety Cutter
This kit from Nepee contains 4 tools that are enough to take care of all your baby’s manicure needs. It contains a pair of scissors, tweezers, nail cutter and filer. They have an ergonomic design with a plastic body making it safe to use for your baby.
The tips of the blades are rounded so you do not need to worry about accidentally injuring your baby. The tools can be stored in a small and cute container that can be carried anywhere.
- Dimensions and weight: 15 x 9 x 6 cm, 160 grams.
- The rounded handles allow for precise maneuvering.
- The booger tweezers are soft tipped and do not cause discomfort.
- The trimming process is quick and painless.
- Good quality product.
- Value for money.
- No negative points seen so far.
3. Chicco Baby Nail Scissors – Our pick
These scissors will help you cut your baby’s nail safely and for the longest time possible. The pair doesn’t rust with ease as it is made from stainless steel metal parts and high-quality plastic. With it, you’ll cut your little one’s nails without fear.
It has long and easy to grip handles that make it possible for you to trim the nails without slipping from your hands. If you decide to go for this pair, you’ll always have the confidence to cut your baby’s tiny nails at all times
- Has stainless steel blades that do not rust making the pair durable.
- Has easy to grip handles that make the exercise easy and safe.
- Has curved edges that help you to trim your baby’s nails safely.
- Comes with a cover to protect it from dust, dirt, and humidity.
- The pair also comes in a beautiful color that makes kids relax during the process.
- Easy and straightforward to operate.
- Has a comfortable handle that is easy to grip.
- Very durable and effective.
- A little tight.
- Not suitable for small nail outgrowth.
4. Newborn Baby Safety Nail Scissors
If looking for a pair of baby nail scissors that will help you cut your baby’s nails with ease and with a lot of confidence, this is the pair to look out for. It is made from BPA-free plastic and rust-proof stainless steel parts.
The pair has a long service life and is also environmentally friendly. It comes in a cute, practical design that makes it a perfect baby shower gift for a soon-to-be mother.
It comes with an ergonomic handle that is easy to hold and use. It also has rounded tips for the safety of your little one, and you’ll therefore never have to dread cutting their nails anymore.
- Comes in a bright color that is easy to spot even in a cluttered drawer.
- Has BPA-free plastic parts and thus very safe for your little one.
- Made from high-quality materials and thus very durable.
- Makes baby nail trimming an easy process.
- Easy to hold and use.
- The protective cover keeps the pair clean and safe at all times.
- Very sharp.
5. Mee Mee Gentle Nail Clipper with a Magnifier– Long Lasting Blades
This nail clipper conforms to the International Standards of Safety and Hygiene and therefore safe to use on your baby’s nails. It has an easy to grip handle that prevents our hands from slipping leading to an accident.
The clipper comes in a unique design and bright colors making it easy for you to use and spot when carrying it along in a bag. You’ll use the clipper for a long time since it comes from high-quality stainless steel and also rust-free.
The clipper has a small head ideal for your little one’s tiny fingers and will provide you and your baby with the best experience ever.
- Has a magnifier that increases the size of your baby’s nails giving you a better view of the situation.
- Comes in a unique design that makes it easy to spot and use.
- Has a tiny head and curved edges that make it ideal for kids.
- Very smooth cutting action.
- Trims baby nails with ease and precision.
- Has rust-free blades thus lasts for a very long time.
- The magnifier makes it very easy for you to trim your baby’s nails.
- No negative points observed so far.
6. GOCART with G LOGO Baby Manicure Set – Best safety feature
This set comes with four tools; a nail clipper, scissors, nail file, and tweezers. All the items will help you keep your baby’s nails neat and well-groomed. You won’t have to worry about your kid suffering from scratches anymore.
The tools come in a compact shape that are flexible and also easy to use. The scissors have long handles with a comfortable grip enabling you to trim your baby’s nails with ease and without the fear of injuring her. The pair has a rounded tip that protects your baby or the person holding her hand from injuries should she jerk her hand off.
The scissors are easy to use and allow you to see your baby’s fingernails when you use them from the front-end. All tools come with dust safety caps that help keep them clean and safe to use when trimming your baby’s nails.
These items have quality stainless steel metal parts, come without nasty plastic smells and are also very durable. You should look forward to using them for a very long time if you decide to purchase the set.
- The set contains four grooming tools that will help you keep your baby neat at all times.
- Made from non-toxic plastic materials and rust-free stainless steel thus safe on your baby’s skin.
- Made from high-quality materials thus durable.
- The items have easy to grip handles that make them easy to use.
- The set comes at a reasonable price.
- The nail scissors have a round tip that makes them safe to use.
- All tools come with dust caps that keep them clean and safe when not in use.
- The nail cutter is quite sharp.
7. SGD Nail File Grinder Set Safe Plastic Trimmer Kit for Kids – Best electric nail trimmer
If you always find yourself in a difficult position when trying to trim your baby’s nail, get yourself this trimming set. With it, you’ll have nothing to worry about as you can never injure your little one during the process.
The set is easy to carry and use from anywhere as it only requires 2AA batteries that you have to purchase after getting it. The sandpaper will smoothen your baby’s nails without causing harm to their cuticles.
You can use the set even on a newborns and have nothing to worry about. The tool will enable you to take care of your baby’s nail within the shortest time. It also has an LED light that helps you to trim your baby’s nail with ease and precision.
- The kit is easy to carry around and use anywhere.
- Has a safe nail file that smoothens baby nails without hurting the skin around.
- The sandpaper has three gritting options suitable for infants, toddlers, and adults.
- Works in an electric grinding way making your work much easier.
- The cushioned sandpaper is very gentle on your baby’s skin
- Has a motor that operates silently enabling you to use the tool even as your baby sleeps
- Helps to save money as you can use it on kids and adults
- Saves a lot of time since it’s very fast.
- Requires you to practice before you start using it.
8. FOK Baby Safety Nail Scissors with a Plastic Cover – Best durability feature
The pair has a stable holding base that makes it easy and safe to use on a newborn’s tiny nails. Using this pair will enable you to let go of the fear as they come with large handles that are easy to grip without slipping down your fingers.
The scissors have tiny blades that make them suitable for newborns. They will give easy access to her little finger and toenails and also allow you to see what you are doing to avoid accidents. The pair also contains a circular cutter head for the safety of your baby.
The pair has stainless steel blades that will never rust, that makes it very durable and worth going for. It also comes with a plastic cover that keeps it hygienically protected at all times. You can cut your baby’s nails without exposing them to germs.
- Has large handles that make it easy to grip and trim your little one’s nails.
- The scissors contain a circular cutter head that helps trim your baby’s nails without exposing them to injuries.
- Made from high-quality stainless steel and plastic parts and thus durable.
- Easy to use even if the baby moves a lot.
- Safe for newborns.
- Rust-free and therefore lasts for long.
- Easy to grip and cover for safety.
- Blades become blunt quickly.
9. Rikang Colorful Baby Scissors – Best ease of use feature
These scissors have a large grip that makes it easy for you to trim your baby’s nails with comfort. Unlike others that come with small holds, you won’t have to struggle when carrying out the exercise. You’ll also feel comfortable enough and in full control.
The scissors come in a cute bright color that makes them easy to spot even in a cluttered drawer. Your baby will also fall in love with it and give you an easy time when trimming their nails.
The blades are sharp enough to help cut your baby’s nails with ease and without hurting them. They are also rust-free so you’ll use them for a very long time. The plastic is also non-toxic and thus very safe to use on your baby’s skin.
- The pair has a large grip that makes it easy to hold and use.
- Contains sharp blades that trim kid’s nails with ease.
- Made from high-quality materials..
- Easy and safe to use on newborns.
- Comfortable and colorful.
- Gives you full control when cutting your baby.
- Contains rust-free blades thus durable.
- Blade quality could be better.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When should I start cutting my baby’s nails?
When a baby is born, their nails are very close to the skin something that makes it difficult to trim them. You will have to wait for about three to four weeks before you start cutting them short.
Even at this point, if you can’t see the separation between your baby’s nail and skin, avoid using nail scissors or clippers at all cost. It is always advisable to use a nail file or an emery board when you want to trim your baby’s nails for the first time for safety reasons.
2. Can I trim my baby’s nails using my mouth?
Doctors do not recommend using your mouth as this can introduce germs and also leave your baby’s nails jagged. Since you won’t have your eyes on your baby’s nails, you can easily bite into her soft skin, something you’d rather not see happening.
3. How do I trim my squirmy baby’s nails?
If you have a squirmy baby who keeps on jerking when you trim their nails short, you need to get a person to assist you in carrying out the process successfully. You can seek help from your friend or spouse who will help by distracting them.
To avoid all these problems, you can also choose to cut your baby’s nails as she sleeps. The technique is one of the best ways since you don’t require other people to assist you. You can also choose to trim your baby’s nails when nursing him.
4. What is the best time to trim my baby’s nails?
There’s no “best time” since you can choose to cut your baby’s nails at any time, whether during the day or at night. All you need are the appropriate tools to carry out the exercise and good lighting.
5. How do I stop a bleeding nail if I accidentally cut my baby?
However keen you might be, accidents will still happen and there’s nothing that you can do about that. Should you accidentally draw blood from your tiny tot’s fingernail, gently apply pressure to stop the bleeding.
Avoid putting a bandage around the injured area since kids love to put their fingers in their mouths. If they happen to do so, they can dislodge the bandage which can in return choke them. If the bleeding doesn’t stop, seek professional help immediately.
6. At what age should my child cut his nail?
According to dermatologists recommendation, you should never let your kit trim their own nails before the age of 9. At this stage, they are old enough to hold a clipper or nail scissors and cut his nails without injuring himself.
This guide has covered everything you need to know before you start cutting your baby’s nails. If you follow the safety tips and the buying guide, you can fearlessly get the work done without any problems. If you are still confused, we have a couple of favorite picks:
The nail clipper set from GOCART offers you multiple tools to take care of various needs. It is one of the most popular choices and has a reasonable price. NEPEE also provides a complete set but at a lower price. But if your are looking for just a nail clipper, you should go for Chicco Baby Nail Scissor.