Best Baby Nail Care Products
Even if your baby’s nails look softer than yours, you need to trim them down from time to time if you do not want to see her pretty face all scratched up. Kids have little control over their frail bodies and can also end up scratching your face as well. The process can be challenging if you have a squirmy baby, but you still have to do it.
Kids’ fingernails tend to grow fast meaning that you’ll have to trim them at least twice a week. Toenails do not grow as fast and might only require you to trim twice a month. Cutting your baby nails will give you a healthy and neat baby at all times. You’ll also never suffer from guilt after seeing tiny scratches on her face.
To get your baby’s nails neat, you’ll require the best nail care products in the market. You do not want to get a very sharp pair of baby nail scissors that can end up cutting your baby’s soft skin or blunt clippers that will make your work even much difficult. Remember you need to carry out this process as fast as possible and therefore any tool that delays you should be cut out from the list.
In this review, we will go through all the nail care essentials you need to keep your little one’s nails clean. We will also learn some tips of nail trimming that you need to follow if you want to carry out the exercise successfully as well as the importance of nail trimming. We have also mentioned a comprehensive buyers guide, FAQ’s and our Top 8 recommended products.
Top 8 Baby Nail Care Products
Best easy to grip feature
Long Lasting Blades
Best safety feature
Best electric nail trimmer
Best durability feature
Best affordable nail kit
Best ease of use feature
Importance of Trimming Your Baby’s Nails
- By cutting your baby’s nails short, you’ll be keeping them safe from the danger of scratching their beautiful faces. You will also save yourself from the guilt that comes along after realizing that you could have done something to prevent the nasty occurrence. Trimming your baby’s nails will also protect you from getting scratched as you hold them as well.
- Toddlers and young kids are exploring, always filled with curiosity and always touching everything. As a result, they get dirty where some of the dirt gets trapped underneath their nails. Getting this dirt out can be quite a challenging task if they have long nails. You also need to know that this trapped dirt can lead to the transmission of diseases.
- Most kids with long nails tend to bite them off as they feel uncomfortable. To prevent your baby from picking up this habit, make it a routine to trim their nails short.
- Trimming kids nails keeps them safe from health hazards that emanate from dirty fingernails. It also helps to teach good personal hygiene habits whereby they’ll follow them throughout their lives even without your watch.
- Keeping your baby’s nails short gives him the chance to enjoy all the sports of his choice, even the high contact ones. Long nails also make it difficult for your baby to type on a computer. Keep his nails short at all times, and you’ll be surprised at the much he can do.
How to trim your baby’s nails
The best time to cut your little one’s nails is when he sleeps especially if a squirmy one. You can also trim his nails right after taking a bath when his nails are softest.
Ensure that you use baby scissors or clippers even if you have adult ones at home. Adult clippers are sharper and heavier and can injure your baby terribly should an accident happen. You should therefore never use them on your baby’s tiny nails.
When carrying out this exercise, ensure that you have enough light to see what you are doing.
To successfully trim your baby’s nails without hurting them, press the finger pad away from the nail as this will stop nicking the skin. Keep a firm hold of your kid’s hand as you clip the nails. Cut the fingernails along the curves and the toenails straight across.
If you want to trim your baby’s nails when awake, you might require your partners help. Ask them to hold her hand and keep them from wriggling as much as possible. You can also ask a sibling or friend to distract her as this might enable you to hold her hand still.
In the first few weeks of a newborn’s life, doctors recommend that you use an emery board as the nails are still fragile and soft. As a new parent, you are also likely to accidentally clip your baby’s skin and thus the need to be extra careful.
Baby Nail Care Essentials
Baby Nail Clippers
There are three types of baby clippers namely; the traditional style, nail scissors, and the battery powered ones. The traditional clippers look like the adult clippers, most likely the ones you use yourself while the battery powered ones though not very popular make the work of trimming and filing your baby’s nails much more comfortable.
Nail scissors work best when your little one’s nails are still thin. You use the scissors to cut the edge and peel the rest of the nail like you would do to a piece of paper. Using scissors also gives you the best visibility when compared to clippers.
The only drawback with baby nail scissors is that you can’t use them when your baby grows older. You’ll use them for a few months. If you choose to go for clippers, you’ll find that these will give you years of service.
Toenails are thicker than fingernails and might require you to use clippers instead of scissors. You might also consider using the clippers on your little one’s toenails since they’ll be a bit older by the time you decide to cut them.
After trimming your baby’s nails, you’ll need an emery board or a file to smoothen them. Your baby can still get hurt by the rough nails if left that way, and that’s why you need to carry out this vital manicure tool.
An emery board is a strip of wood or card that comes coated with emery or any other abrasive and used as a nail file. The board gently grinds down and shapes the edges of your baby’s nails making her look neat at all times. They are very effective when you want to trim your newborn’s tiny nails since filing them is enough.
Source of light
You will need to get yourself a source of bright light to enable you to see what you are doing if trimming your baby’s nails in a poorly illuminated room. You do not want to risk cutting your baby’s soft and delicate skin.
Nail Clippers and Nail Scissor
The following are the things to look out for when purchasing baby nail clippers.
If you can get a clipper with LED light, the better. A light will let you see if you are almost cutting your baby’s soft skin or nail in a dark room. You’ll be able to trim your baby’s nails even at night. Even with the help of this light, if you have a very squirmy baby, cut her nails when she sleeps.
If you only want to hold your baby’s hand up against a trimmer as it helps you cut your baby’s nails, go for a battery powered unit.
A magnifying glass will enable you to get a better look at what you are doing. It will prevent you from accidentally nicking your baby’s delicate skin.
Go for cheerful colors, characters and designs as these will lessen your baby’s anxiety on nail trimming. They’ll want to do it by themselves when they get older.
Some trimmers come with emery boards that help to smoothen the rough edges that trimming leaves behind. The jagged edges can still scratch your baby and thus the need to carry out the exercise. Using an emery board for the first time might be a little tricky for you, but with time, it’ll pay off.
Always look for a pair that comes with large handles for a firm grip. You do not want to experience the struggle between trying to keep your little one still for a trim and holding small handles in your arms. Such handles will only make your work difficult.
If going for a pair of nail scissors, look out for the tip. The one to go for should have a round tip. When trimming your baby’s nails, anything can happen, and the key thing is ensuring that your baby remains safe no matter what.
A pair of round-tipped nail scissors will protect your little one from getting hurt even if the tip comes into contact with her soft skin.
A spy hole on a nail clipper will always keep you on alert whenever an accident is about to happen. With it, your baby will always remain safe from injuries.
Get a pair of baby nail clippers with curved edges at all times. These edges make it easier for you to avoid cutting something that you shouldn’t.
When going after any product, you have to ensure that it will last for a long time before you pay for it. You do not want to keep on spending your hard earned money on a particular item from time to time. You also don’t want to waste your precious time on shopping sprees for the same product.
Always consider the price of the nail grooming item you have in mind. Does it match your budget? If it does, then go ahead and pay for it, if your answer is in the negative, there’s no need to worry since you can still get an alternative from a different brand at a price you can afford. While so doing, always go for quality.
Most baby manicure kits come with a nail file or emery boards, and you, therefore, won’t go through a lot of trouble when looking for one. Some nail clippers also come with emery boards. If you decide to go for an emery board for your baby, consider the following.
Soft and Gentle
Your baby’s nails are soft and hence the need for a file that’ll work. It shouldn’t split your baby’s nails but only help smoothen them up. Remember that you’ll most likely require it for your newborn and hence the need to get one that doesn’t expose her to any harm.
Always go for a file with a thin width as it will give you easy access to your baby’s nails. A thick one will only give you a difficult time when trying to trim her nails. You can even end up roughing up the delicate skin around her fingers.
Get your baby an emery board that lasts for a long time, even after frequent use. Even if you’ll get it a higher cost than others, it’s worth going for. Avoid those that come at a lower price but of low quality.
1. Chicco Baby Nail Scissors – Our pick
These scissors will help you cut your baby’s nail safely and for the longest time possible. The pair doesn’t rust with ease as comes made from stainless steel metal parts and high-quality plastic. With it, you’ll cut your little one’s nails without fear.
The pair has curved edges with rounded ends that ensure complete safety during use. It has long and easy to grip handles that make it possible for you to trim the nails without slipping from your hands. If you decide to go for this pair, you’ll always have the confidence to cut your baby’s tiny nails at all times
- Has stainless steel blades that do not rust making the pair durable.
- Has easy to grip handles that make the exercise easy and safe.
- Has curved edges that help you to trim your baby’s nails safely.
- Comes with a cover to protect it from dust, dirt, and humidity.
- The pair also comes in a beautiful color that makes kids relax during the process.
- Easy and straightforward to operate
- Has a comfortable handle that is easy to grip
- The curved tips make this pair very safe to use
- Very durable and effective
- A little tight
- Not for small nail outgrowth
2. Newborn Baby Safety Nail Scissors – Best easy to grip feature
If looking for a pair of baby nail scissors that will help you cut your baby’s nails with ease and with a lot of confidence, this is the pair to look out for. It is made up of BPA-free plastic and rust proof stainless steel parts.
The pair has a long service life and also very environmentally friendly. The pair will also never cause harm to your baby’s body. It comes in a cute, practical design that makes it a perfect baby shower gift to a soon-to-be mother.
It comes with an adult ergonomic handle that is easy to hold and use. It also has rounded tips for the safety of your little one, and you’ll therefore never have to dread cutting his nails anymore. This pair comes specifically designed to provide parents with precise trinkets.
- Comes in a bright color that is easy to spot even in a cluttered drawer.
- Has BPA-free plastic parts and thus very safe for your little one.
- Has an ergonomic handle that is easy to hold.
- Made from high-quality materials and thus very durable.
- Makes baby nail trimming an easy process
- Comes at a reasonable price
- Easy to hold and use
- The protective cover keeps the pair clean and safe at all times
- Very sharp
3. Mee Mee Gentle Nail Clipper with a Magnifier– Long Lasting Blades
This nail clipper is one of the best that you can ever find in the Indian market today. It conforms to the International Standards of Safety and Hygiene and therefore safe to use on your baby’s nails. It has an easy to grip handle that prevents our hands from slipping leading to an accident.
The clipper comes in a unique design and bright colors making it easy for you to use and spot when carrying it along in a diaper bag. You’ll use the clipper for a long time since it comes from high-quality stainless steel and also rust-free.
It also comes with a heightened magnifier that enables you to get a clear view of your baby’s nail preventing you from nicking the skin at all times. The magnifier folds back with ease when not in use which is an excellent thing since you won’t want it on your way at all times.
The clipper has a small head ideal for your little one’s tiny fingers and will, therefore, provide you and your baby with the best experience ever.
- Has a magnifier that increases the size of your baby’s nails giving you a better view of the situation.
- Comes in a unique design that makes it easy to spot and use.
- Has a tiny head and curved edges that make it ideal for kids.
- Conforms to international standards of safety thus very safe to use on kids.
- Very smooth in cutting kids fingernails
- Trims baby nails with ease and precision
- Has rust-free blades thus lasts for a very long time
- The magnifier makes it very easy for you to trim your baby’s nails
- Some parents found it difficult to use the magnifying glass
4. GOCART with G LOGO Baby Manicure Set – Best safety feature
This set comes with four tools; a nail clipper, scissors, nail file, and tweezers. All the items will help you keep your baby’s nails neat and well-groomed. You won’t have to worry about your kid suffering from scratches anymore.
The tools come in a compact shape, are flexible and also easy to use. The scissors have long handles with a comfortable grip enabling you to trim your baby’s nails with ease and without the fear of injuring her. The pair has a rounded tip that protects your baby or the person holding her hand from injuries should she jerk her hand off.
The scissors are easy to use and allow you to see your baby’s fingernails when you use them from the front-end. All tools come with dust safety caps that help keep them clean and safe to use when trimming your baby’s nails. You can use the tweezer to clean your baby’s ears or remove boogers from her nose.
These items have quality stainless steel metal parts, come without nasty plastic smells and are also very durable. You should look forward to using them for a very long time if you decide to purchase the set.
- The set contains four grooming tools that will help you keep your baby neat at all times.
- Made from non-toxic plastic materials and rust-free stainless steel thus safe on your baby’s skin.
- Made from high-quality materials thus durable.
- The items have easy to grip handles that make them easy to use.
- Very easy to use tools
- The set comes at a reasonable price
- The nail scissors have a round tip that makes them safe to use.
- All tools come with dust caps that keep them clean and safe when not in use
- The set has a very sharp nail cutter that isn’t suitable for kids
- All instructions are in Chinese
5. SGD Nail File Grinder Set Safe Plastic Trimmer Kit for Kids – Best electric nail trimmer
If you always find yourself in a difficult position when trying to trim your baby’s nail, get yourself this trimming set. With it, you’ll have nothing to worry about as you can never injure your little one during the process.
The set is easy to carry and use from anywhere as it only requires 2AA batteries that you have to purchase after getting it. The sandpaper will smoothen your baby’s nails without causing harm to her cuticles. It works in an electric grinding way polishing the toenails and fingernails to look neat at all times.
You can use the set even on a newborn and have nothing to worry about. The tool will enable you to take care of your baby’s nail within the shortest time possible within five minutes; you’ll have completed the exercise. If you have a very stubborn little one, this is the best kit to go for.
The set comes with three gritting options suitable for infants, toddlers, and even adults. Your baby can, therefore, share it with the rest of the family. It also has an LED light that helps you to trim your baby’s nail with ease and precision.
- The kit is easy to carry around and use from anywhere
- Has a safe nail file that smoothens baby nails without hurting the skin around.
- The sandpaper has three gritting options suitable for infants, toddlers, and adults.
- Works in an electric grinding way making your work much easier.
- The cushioned sandpaper is very gentle on your baby’s skin
- Has a motor that operates silently enabling you to use the tool even as your baby sleeps
- Helps to save money as you can use it on kids and adults
- Saves a lot of time since it’s very fast.
- Requires you to practice before you start using it
6. FOK Baby Safety Nail Scissors with a Plastic Cover – Best durability feature
The pair has a short and easy holding base that makes it easy and safe to use on a newborn’s tiny nails. Using this pair will enable you to let go of the fear as they come with large handles that are easy to grip without slipping down your fingers.
The scissors have tiny blades that make them suitable for newborns. They will give easy access to her little finger and toenails and also allow you to see what you are doing to avoid accidents. The pair also contains a circular cutter head for the safety of your baby.
The pair has stainless steel blades that will never rust, a feature that makes the pair very durable and worth going for. It also comes with a plastic cover that keeps it hygienically protected at all times. You’ll, therefore, cut your baby’s nails without exposing them to germs.
- Has large handles that make it easy to grip and trim your little one’s nails.
- The scissors contain a circular cutter head that helps trim your baby’s nails without exposing them to injuries.
- Comes with a cover that helps to keep the blades hygienically safe for your baby.
- Made from high-quality stainless steel and plastic parts and thus durable
- Easy to use even if the baby jerks
- Safe for newborns
- Rust-free and therefore lasts for long
- Easy to grip and cover for safety
- Gets blunt with ease
7. Syga Baby Infant and Toddler Grooming Kit with Scissors – Best affordable nail kit
If looking for the best manicure and pedicure grooming kit for your baby, this set from Syga will help you a great deal. It comes with a pair of nail scissors, clippers, a nail file, and tweezers. It can make perfect grooming set for your baby’s changing table, dresser or under the bathroom sink.
The nail file helps in trimming kids’ nails without shredding the nails or hurting the skin around your baby’s nails. It also has ergonomic baby nail clippers, and a pair of plastic handles nail scissors that will help you to trim your baby’s nails comfortably.
The nail clipper has a rounded handle that allows for easy maneuvering around your baby’s fingers and toes. Get this kit and worry no more about your baby’s fast-growing fingernails. You will always cut them short within the least time possible with the help of these tools.
- The scissors come with ergonomic handles that make them easy to use.
- Has a double-sided nail file that helps trim your newborn’s nails with ease.
- The tools have rust-free stainless steel parts that make them durable.
- The clipper has a rounded handle that makes it easier to maneuver around your baby’s fingers and toes.
- The tools are of excellent quality and last for long
- The kit makes a perfect gift for a baby shower
- Very easy to use tools
- The kit comes with a beautiful storage case
- Nail clipper handle is too big and round
- Some parents complained that the nail cutter clip keeps coming out requiring fixing from time to time.
8. Rikang Colorful Baby Scissors – Best ease of use feature
These scissors have a large grip that makes it easy for you to trim your baby’s nails with a lot of comforts. Unlike others that come with small holds, you won’t have to struggle when carrying out the exercise. You’ll also feel comfortable enough and in full control.
The scissors come in a cute bright color that makes them easy to spot even in a cluttered drawer. Your baby will also fall in love with it and give you an easy time when trimming their nails if you decide to purchase it.
The blades are sharp enough to help cut your baby’s nails with ease and without hurting them. They are also rust-free meaning that you’ll use them for a very long time. The plastic is also non-toxic a d thus very safe to use on your baby’s skin.
- The pair has a large grip that makes it easy to hold and use.
- Comes in bright colors and thus easy to spot from your baby’s diaper bag
- Contains sharp blades that trim kid’s nails with ease
- Made from high-quality materials.
- Easy and safe to use on newborns
- Comfortable and colorful
- Gives you full control when cutting your baby
- Contains rust-free blades thus durable
- Not returnable
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When should I start cutting my baby’s nails?
When a baby is born, their nails are very close to the skin something that makes it difficult to trim them. You will, therefore, have to wait for about three to four weeks before you start cutting them short. Even at this point, if you can’t see the separation between your baby’s nail and skin, avoid using nail scissors or clippers at all cost.
It is always advisable to use a nail file or an emery board when you want to trim your baby’s nails for the first time for safety reasons.
2. Can I trim my baby’s nails using my mouth?
Most parents do this but fail to realize that it is very wrong of them. Doctors do not recommend using your mouth as this can introduce germs and also leave your baby’s nails jagged. Since you won’t have your eyes on your baby’s nails, you can easily bite into her soft skin, something you’d rather not see happening.
3. How do I trim my squirmy baby’s nails?
If you have a squirmy baby who keeps on jerking when you trim their nails short, you need to get a person to assist you in carrying out the process successfully. You can seek help from your friend or spouse who will help by distracting them for example with a song.
To avoid all these problems, you can also choose to cut your baby’s nails as she sleeps. The technique is one of the best ways since you don’t require other people to assist you. You can also choose to trim your baby’s nails when nursing him.
4. What is the best time to trim my baby’s nails?
There’s no “best time” since you can choose to cut your baby’s nails at any time, whether during the day or at night. All you need are the appropriate tools to carry out the exercise and good lighting.
5. How do I stop a bleeding nail if I accidentally cut my baby?
However, keen you might be, accidents will still happen and there’s nothing that you can do about that. Should you accidentally draw blood from your tiny tot’s fingernail, gently apply pressure to stop the bleeding.
Avoid putting a bandage around the injured area since kids love to put their fingers in their mouths. If they happen to do so, they can dislodge the bandage which can in return choke them. If the bleeding doesn’t stop, seek professional help immediately.
6. At what age should my child cut his nail?
According to dermatologists recommendation, you should never let your baby trim his nails before he reaches his ninth birthday. At this stage, he is old enough to hold a clipper or nail scissors and cut his nails without injuring himself.
Chicco Baby Nail Scissors comes with easy to grip handles, rust-free stainless steel, and a cover to keep them hygienically clean for your baby’s use. The pair also contains rounded blades for your baby’s safety. Mee Mee nail clipper, on the other hand, comes with a magnifier that enlarges your view enabling you to see your baby’s nails more clearly. When using it, the chances of hurting your baby are very minimal.
All the nail grooming tools discussed in this review will enable you to trim your baby’s nails with a lot of ease and without exposing them to pain from frequent accidents. Go through each of them and get one that you feel will work great for you and your baby and meets your budget.