10 Best Yoga Mats
Purchasing a yoga mat is not an easy task but needs a lot of consideration regarding the features you need in a mat, your budget, amongst other key considerations. Many types of mats exist but finding the right mat that suits your needs can be a frustrating process. If you consider yourself a beginner at fitness you can definitely try basic exercises like Dumbell and Therabands along with yoga for more visible results.
You will find valuable information on the various types of yoga mats, the key factors to consider while purchasing a yoga mat, and answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about yoga mats. This article includes topics like why use a yoga mat and its types. We also prepared a top 10 list of yoga mats in India. The list is a blend of the cheap yoga mats, valuable yoga mats, as well as the top quality yoga mats.
Top 10 Yoga Mats
Our Top pick
Best for Beginners
Great for your knees and arms
Best Durable Mat
Best Cost effective mat
Best mat for travelers
Quality on a budget
Great for Hot yoga sessions
Best Eco-friendly mat
Why Use A Yoga Mat?
Yoga can be practiced without a mat. However, a mat brings in some convenience and comfort, making your yoga sessions even more relaxing and beneficial.
Here are some top benefits of using a yoga mat.
- You will feel more comfortable and relaxed as you sit on a yoga mat as compared to a hard floor.
- Yoga mats will prevent you from any injuries as the mat serves as a good cushion between you and the floor.
- You will not leave the yoga class looking all dirty and dusty. The yoga mat serves as a barrier between you and the dirt.
- You will be safe from bacteria and germs that might be on the floor.
- You will be more focused on yoga and meditation, thus gaining a lot of benefits from the yoga session.
Types of Yoga Mats
Yoga mats retail in different sizes, shapes, and are made with different material. Here is a list of various types of yoga mats available out there in the market.
Natural Rubber Yoga Mats
Rubber mats are popular as they do not contain any harmful chemicals, and therefore, you will be safe from breathing in any toxic or carcinogenic chemicals as you practice your downward yoga.
They also tend to decompose after disposal and hence don’t pose any pollution threat to our already endangered environment. The rubber gives the mat its anti-ski and anti-tear features making these mats not only comfortable to use but also durable.
Plastic Elastomer Yoga Mats (TPE)
These mats are also eco-friendly and don’t contain harmful chemical compounds such as the PVC and lead. They are affordable to most consumers and have great anti-sliding properties that will prevent you from falling while doing hot yoga exercises. They are waterproof, therefore easy to clean and rarely have bad odor normally associated with bacteria found in damp places.
Cotton Yoga Mats
Cotton mats are comfortable to use due to the softness of the soft cotton. Cotton also absorbs sweat when you sweat, and therefore, you will be less prone to sliding. They are ideal for people nursing injuries. They are also easy to wash and cotton dry very easily. They are also not expensive and therefore, ideal for a person who is on a tight budget.
Sticky Yoga Mats
Most sticky yoga mats are designed to prevent you from injuries as you practice. They feature anti-slide features and cushions you on hard surfaces such as the floor. They also tend to come in huge thickness. They are the best mats for yoga newbies.
Lightweight Travel mats
If you have a busy lifestyle and have no time to go back to your home to pick your mat after work, then lightweight travel yoga mats are the ideal pick for you. They are normally thinner and denser than their competitors and are easy to roll up and carry. Most of them come with a travel bag or carry straps to help you easily fold them up and carry to your yoga classes.
Jute Yoga Mats
What to Consider While Shopping for the Best Yoga Mats.
Various yoga mats are suitable for various people’s needs and yoga exercises. The market is flooded with various brands and looking for the right Yoga mat without prior knowledge of what features lookout for can be a daunting task.
Below are some tips that will help you pick the perfect yoga mat that suits your needs as well as your budget.
Your comfort and balance while practicing yoga depends on the thickness of the mat. Yoga mats come in varying thickness ranging from 1/8 inches to ¼ inches to 1/16 inches. The type of exercises that you intend to practice should be the lead here. Headstand requires a thicker yoga mat, whereas light exercises such as the lung on the bench don’t need a very thick mat.
Yoga mats have different texture depending on their material. If you happen to practice hot yoga, then go for a mat that provides a tight grip. Avoid the slippery mats. If you intend to buy a yoga mat on some e-commerce site such as Amazon, look at the comments by other customers and what they think of the texture the mat in question.
Length and width
Yoga mats come in varying lengths and widths. Your body size will be the key determinant here. Most Yoga mats have a standard length of 68 inches and are 24 inches wide. Other brands are longer or shorter. If you are a taller person, go for the longer mat.
A sticky yoga mat will prevent from sliding as you practice or switch from one alignment to the other. Most experienced yogis state that the PVC brands of mats are the ones with the highest stickiness. However, it is important to note that dirt reduces the stickiness of a yoga mat and if dirty, always clean your PVC mat before you practice to ensure you don’t keep on sliding.
Weight and foldability.
You may need to carry your mat from one place to another. Imagine having to carry an 8 pounds yoga mat. Look for a yoga mat that can be easily folded and carried on one hand, especially if you love to travel. An ideal lightweight travel yoga mat weighs around 3 to 4 pounds.
Whereas there are some purely black yoga mats, others come in different colors and finish. The appearance matters if you are a person who is attracted and motivated by beautiful art. Some yoga exercises such as the chakra need specific alignments, and a mat with some lines drawn would be a handy pick, especially for beginners. Other yoga exercises require total concentration, and art would be a distraction. Remember to pick a mat that has your favorite color or finish.
The most common is the PVC mat, but if you do not want that then look for a yoga mat that is eco-friendly and free of toxins. Go for yoga mats that are made of natural materials. A dirty yoga mat is always a turn-off; therefore, make sure that the material can be easily cleaned and dried.
Some mats such as the cotton type are easy to wash and dry. Others such as the sticky type can be a real headache, especially when they get muddy. However, the lifespan of your yoga mat depends on its maintenance.
Below are some tips on how to take care of your yoga mat
- Always clean the mat at least once a month and twice if you normally practice in an area with a lot of dust or mud.
- If the mat is not very dirty, use a clean towel or fabric to wipe off the dirt from the mat and then hang out to dry.
- If the mat is very dirty, for example, if muddy, then you will have to soak it in detergent, and then thoroughly hand wash it to remove the mud. After removing it from the water, squeeze out the water. You can place it on the floor and step on it ensure you get rid of as much water as possible. Next, hang out to dry.
- Always ensure that you roll and strap the mat before you store the mat.
The prices of yoga mats vary from 350 rupees to 3500 rupees. Some even cost more than 3500 rupees. Balance delicately between your needs and budget.
1. BodyBand Premium Yoga Mat – Our Top pick.
The body andBodyBand yoga mat is an extra-thick, durable mat that is built to last. The mat features a non-tear technology to ensure that it doesn’t stretch or rip off even during the most intense yoga sessions.
It comes with a towel to help you clean after practice and a carry bag to help you conveniently carry the mat to your yoga classes, making the mat our top brand in this list. Below are some of its features.
- Made with closed cell technology so that it does not absorb your sweat or moisture as you practice.
- Double layered with the bottom layer designed to be wavy to offer traction between the mat and the ground. The top layer textured to ensure you don’t have to worry about sliding as you practice.
- Made with recycled TPE fabric that is both eco-friendly and non-toxic.
- It is 75 inches long and 25.5 inches wide, making it the ideal mat for people of different body sizes and height.
The mat has a thickness of 6 mm, which guarantees good cushioning, which is almost similar to that found in sport’s shoes.
It comes with a special “Namaste” warranty which speaks of the confidence BodyBand has in their mat
Sold in mint blue color which is aesthetically cool.
- It offers great traction and good comfort so that you can practice with confidence.
- Free from toxic materials such as PVC ensuring that you don’t breathe in toxic air.
- Comes with a microfibre towel so you can clean and dry instantly.
- Does not smell.
- It is easy to roll up and carry to and from the studio.
- It is doesn’t tear easily and can last for longer periods of times as compared to other mats.
- The extra length makes the mat’s breadth look shorter. Bodyband should have added some extra inches to the breadth to match the extra length.
2. AmazonBasics Yoga and Exercise Mat with Carrying Strap – Best for Beginners
The AmazonBasics mat can be used for various exercises and yoga workouts. It is a basic mat that has no decorations and features a variety of colors. The mat has a good thickness which provides sturdy support and comfort, especially when doing exercises outdoor where the surface is rough.
It comes with a black elastic strap, which makes it easy to carry it from the gym or yoga studio to your home. The straps also prevent the mat from spreading out while not in use.
- It features a textured finish which is non-skid and prevents injury during hot yoga or any other mobile exercises.
- 76” long and 24” wide making the mat suitable to even tall people.
- ½ inch thick or 13 mm that provides a good cushion to your feet on a rough surface.
The mat is made of foam material, which is both lightweight and long lasting.
- Offers a variety of colors to choose from according to your tastes.
- It feels very comfortable on the floor.
- It is easy to fold using the black strap.
- The textured surface offers better traction.
- Light impressions are left on the mat after exercise.
3. Strauss TPE Eco-Friendly Yoga Mat – Great for your knees and arms.
If you look forward to buying a yoga mat that will feel comfortable on your knees, legs, and arms, then the Strauss yoga mat will be a great pick for you. Featuring three layers namely the textured top layer, the memory foam layer, and the non-skid proof bottom, the mat is designed to offer a firm grip and remain stable as you practice yoga.
You don’t have to worry about breathing in toxic carcinogens as the mat is made from natural rubber material and recycled microfiber that absorbs sweat easily during very heavy exercises.
- Made from TPE natural rubber which is durable, anti-skid, and has no bad smell.
- 6 mm thickness that is suitable for yoga floor exercises.
- Features an extra-large mat size, 173cm long and 61cm wide, for tall people.
- Anti-slip, and anti- tear design due to the presence of three layers namely the top layer, the foam layer, and the skid proof bottom.
- A full zip closure is carrying bag that makes it easier to carry the bag. The bag has a small pocket for storing your accessories such as headphones or portable music players.
- Available in blue color.
- The fabric can be washed and dried easily making it easy to care.
- No foul smell.
- The mat offers you a firm grip and does not easily slide during exercise due to presence of the anti-skid bottom layer.
- Due to its average thickness, the mat is easy to fold and carry.
- The 6 mm thickness is a bit disappointing. However, the mat’s featured TPE material is denser, superior and unique as compared to thicker competitors making it both comfortable to use and long lasting.
4. Fitkit FKYM04-P Yoga Mat – Best Durable Mat
The Fitkit yoga mat is designed to last for long even under tough conditions such as the wet season. It features a moisture resistance technology which gives the mat its waterproof proof properties thus making it easy to clean and dry. Water does not also easily deteriorate its good quality.
The mat is plain coloured, lightweight, textured and very easy to fold and carry it to anywhere convenient to the yoga studio, gym or home
- It is doubled sided with each of the sides well textured to ensure that you don’t slide during exercise.
- The 6 mm thickness provides comfort during workouts.
- Features a moisture resistant technology which makes it easy to clean the mat.
- Presence of a layer of foam makes this mat waterproof and hence can be used even during the rainy seasons.
- It comes in a standard size, 173 cm long and 61 cm wide, which is a perfect fit for most people.
- Made of material that is free of latex or metals thus making it durable and less prone to tear.
- Available in purple colour.
- The Fitkit mat offers comfort and stability during exercise.
- It can be washed in a washing machine and dries very easily.
- The light weight and average thickness makes the mat easy to fold and carry it from to the yoga studio or gym.
- Thick and durable.
- No carry bag included.
5. Narains Anti-Skid Yoga Mat with Bag – Best Cost effective mat
The Narains mat features a non-skid rubber material that is designed to safeguard you from injuries during workouts.
It comes in 6 mm thickness but Narain also decided to include a 4 mm variety. The sleek design and weight of 499 grams makes the mat an easy one to fold and carry to and from your yoga classes.
- Natural rubber material which is eco friendly and non-toxic.
- Available in 6 mm or 4 mm thickness, which provides a perfect cushion during floor yoga
- The bottom is anti-skid hence safely supports during exercises and hot yoga. The top surface is also textured to ensure that you don’t easily slide.
- The mat comes in multiple colours, to match different customers’ tastes and preferences.
- Availability of a carry bag to help you carry the mat easily.
- The mat has an easy cleaning routine. It is machine washable, easy to dry, and doesn’t bleach.
- It easy to roll and carry to and from the Yoga classes.
- It is safe to use due to the presence of an anti-skid design.
- It is durable and comfortable to use.
- The texture is good; not so soft and not so hard
- The textured surface leaves some imprints on hands and legs after exercise.
Happytech™ Yoga Mat – Best mat for travelers.
If you are looking for a pocket friendly mat which is of good thickness and length, then the HappyTech non-slip yoga is the perfect pick for you. It is comes with an extra thick 6 mm cushioning that not only warrants comfort during your floor workouts and training, but also no slipping.
The mat is big enough for use by most people of different body sizes and heights. Ideal for people on a budget who are after a good quality mat.
- Comes with a non-slip design making it safe to use without having to worry about losing your grip or stability.
- 6 mm thick cushioning that ensures you remain comfortable during all kind of exercises.
- A standard length of 6 feet.
- The Eva material is thick as well as soft and at the same time dense enough to provide a good surface for floor exercises.
- Available in multiple colours to suit people’s different tastes and preferences.
- It is made of durable and lightweight Eva material.
- Comes with a carry bag that makes it easy to carry the mat.
- The mat can be rolled up easily and carried to and from yoga classes.
- Anti-slip design which injuries due to slipping accidents.
- Comfortable due to the presence of a thick cushion.
- Presence of a strong “chemical” kind smell that goes away with time.
7. Nivia Yoga Mat – Quality on a budget
The Nivia yoga ultra-thick mat is designed with a non-skid surface to ensure that you remain safe during yoga and floor exercises. It is also thicker than most standard mats which provides a good cushioning and eliminates joint pains, and injuries that comes with the use of very thin mats.
Comes with a good material that makes abs workouts and yoga asanas very comfortable.
- Measures 180 cm long and 60 cm wide, thus suitable for use people with different body sizes and height.
- Non-skid surface that provides a sturdy grip and stickiness thus enhancing safety even during the floor exercises.
- The mat is made from rubber which has no bad smell and is eco-friendly.
- The added thickness of 10 mm is very comfortable and keeps off the swollen ankles and joints especially after hot yoga.
- An assortment of colours to choose from depending on your tastes and preferences
- Features a soft material that is comfortable to use.
- Enhanced protection from injuries due to the presence of a non-skid surface.
- User have appreciated its durability.
- Absence of an irritating smell as compared to competitors.
- Sold at a budget price that is affordable to most people.
- A few users complained that the mat becomes slippery once you start to sweat during workouts.
- Comes with a net cover which is not as good as a normal carry bag.
8. TEGO Stance Truly Reversible Mat – – Stylish Look
The lovely Tego Stance mat is a premium mat that comes with a practical alignment system that is designed to breed an aesthetic posture reference map. The alignment consists of a middle point Mandala, several 45 degrees references and a diagonal straight line to help you take different postures during yoga.
- Closed cell construction technology to prevent the mat from absorbing moisture or sweat and producing any stinking smell.
- Designed with a thickness of 5 mm, the Tego Stance mat not only provides good cushioning during exercise but also has great portability.
- Made with high quality PVC material that doesn’t contain harmful chemicals such as lead.
- Double sided with one side sticky and designed with alignments and the other side, the bottom side, highly textured which the gives the mat good traction and prevents it skidding while you exercise.
- Comes with anti-microbial technology which helps prevent bacteria from breeding on the mat due to sweat.
- Available in the standard size of 72 inches by 24 inches thus can be used by both tall and short people.
- Comes with a high quality bag that has shoulder straps and an extra pocket to store your accessories.
- It can be easily rolled and carried to your yoga sessions.
- It is easy to wash and does not produce any bad odour.
- Great traction that prevents you from sliding even during hot yoga.
- The alignment comes in handy while practising yoga.
- The material is of superior quality and hence, durable.
- Does not have any weird smell.
- The use of PVC material which is non-biodegradable hence the mat is not eco-friendly.
9. Kobo NBR Yoga Mat – Great for Hot yoga sessions
The Kobo NBR multi-use mat comes in handy in protecting you from injuries while practicing on hard floors or any other hard surface. This is made possible by the high density foam material that provides extra cushioning during exercise and make you feel comfortable.
- It features a thickness of 15mm which feels comfortable and provides a good cushion.
- The mat is non-skid which allows you to practice without any fear of falling off or injuries.
- The high density NBR foam material is tough and resistant to tear even during the most intense exercises.
- Comes with a carry strap which will help you easily fold the mat and carry it to the yoga class.
- The material is waterproof which means that the mat is easy to clean and does not encourage the growth of bacteria which cause bad smell due to dampness.
- Measures 6 feet by 2 feet making it ideal for use by most people of standard size and height.
- The mat is easy to wash and dry.
- The material is soft, non-tear and long lasting.
- Offers good traction on the ground while doing exercises.
- Many users have appreciated the high quality.
- Holds the ground tightly while performing the asanas.
- The mat is not ideal for use on a rocky surface due to the extra softness.
10. OXOFIT Premium Yoga Mat – Best Eco-friendly mat
If you are looking for a classic and timeless mat that is simple, reliable as well as comfortable to practice on, then the Oxofit premium high quality yoga mat may be the perfect pick for you.
This mat boasts of a unique colour pattern design whereby you can have two different contrasts on the same mat. It is made with TPE material that is biodegradable and non-toxic making it friendly to use.
- The TPE material is designed to discourage the growth of bacteria on the mat due to moisture making the mat odor free.
- Features an anti-slip design that offers a good traction even during the most intense exercises.
- It has a standard length of 72 inches or 6 feet.
- Comes with easy to carry bag and strap.
- It is easy to roll up and carry to your classes.
- It has an aesthetic colour design, that is, the dual tone colour.
- No need to worry about breathing in carcinogenic chemicals while doing asanas as the material is non-toxic.
- It easy to wash.
- 6 feet length doesn’t favor very tall people.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the standard dimensions of a good yoga mat?
Most standard size yoga mats are 72 inches long and 24 inches wide. The typical thickness is normally 6 mm or 0.5 inches. If you a tall person, some brands such as the Amazon Basics offer extra-large yoga variants. Make sure you confirm the dimensions before purchase.
Can a mat be used on a rough or rocky surface?
Most mats are designed to provide good cushioning on rough surfaces. Whereas mats that measure over 6 mm thick can offer a good cushion, the quality of the material used to manufacture the mat is also a key determinant.
Some mats have double or triple layers of fabric to ensure that you safely workout outdoor without any injuries.
How do you clean a mat?
Most mats are washable by machines or you by hand. Mats made with rubber are very easy to clean and dry very easily. Soak the mat in water, add detergent, and wash the mat thoroughly.
Once the cleaning is complete, squeeze out the excess water, then roll the mat, step on it to make sure that you squeeze out most of the water, and hang out to dry.
What does ecofriendly mean?
This means that your mat is made of a natural material such as rubber that can easily decompose when the mats is dumped or thrown away. This is good for the environment as the non-biodegradable materials tend to pollute the environment. Majority of ecofriendly mats are also non-toxic.
Where can I buy a yoga mat?
Most yoga mats are sold online on e-commerce sites such as Amazon. Online stores are the most secure, and convenient places to buy mats as the offer a wide variety of mats to choose from at the comfort of your home and in most cases, offer very affordable prices.
Be assured of your money being refunded in case of a wrong delivery or a faulty mat is delivered. You can also opt to buy a mat from a physical store in town but make sure they have a warranty policy.
Between PVC yoga mats and TPE rubber mats, which is the best?
Both materials have advantages and disadvantages. TPE rubber mats offer good traction and cushioning, are eco-friendly and non-toxic as they don’t contain harmful chemicals. They are also very easy to roll and carry to your preferred location.
On the other hand, PVC mats are made from a non-biodegradable material that can pollute the environment. They are very durable and in most cases, non-tear.
Can I easily bend a mat that is 10 mm or thicker?
Yes. Yoga mats brands that are thicker come with longer straps and bigger carry bags so as to accommodate the extra thickness.
How can I tell a mat that can be used during the wet and rainy season?
Most mats that are waterproof can be used outside because they don’t absorb the moisture from the ground. A mat that is not waterproof can quickly get damaged by moisture and is not always easy to wash. Most companies are manufacturing yoga mats that have close cell technology which is watertight.
Yoga mats are all mats. Why do they vary in price?
The quality of the fabric, the difference in the thickness, the aesthetic value, the traction offered and the availability of a carry bag and carry strap are just but some of the factors that cause the prices of yoga mats to vary.
However, the prices can vary with some selling for as low as 300 rupees whereas other mats retail at 5000 rupees or more.
Is there a difference between a carry “strap”, and a carry “bag”?
Yes but they all serve the same purpose; to carry the mat. However, a carry strap is used to fasten or hold the mat in place when it is rolled up. A carry bag is more of a pouch with shoulder straps.
A mat is rolled and kept inside and the bag zipped. Some carry bags come with extra pockets to store your accessories such as phones, headphones, and music players.
I am very tall. Will I get a mat that fits my height?
Yes. Most mats come in the standard length of 6 feet. There are also a wide variety of yoga mat brands in the market which offer longer mats. Brands such as AmazonBasics, Body Band all offer a longer mats.
Despite the difference in quality, size or even color, all yoga mats serve one purpose; to help you exercise comfortably and conveniently. While purchasing a yoga mat, it is good that you focus on the features. Again, cheap is expensive in the long run as you might end up buying several cheap yoga mats over one year whereas you would have comfortably bought one good mat that is long lasting.
Most features can be overlooked such as the color or alignment when making the decision on which mat to buy but always make sure the mat has a good thickness, is anti-skid, anti-tear, has good traction, and the material is toxic free and durable. We highly recommend these yoga mats BodyBand Premium Yoga Mat and AmazonBasics 13mm Extra Thick Yoga and Exercise Mat.