10 Best Gym Gloves
Training by lifting heavy weights and doing strenuous exercises is not hard enough, buying the right gloves that suits your workout is equally difficult. There are so many good gym gloves online to choose from that settling on one becomes an extremely grueling quest. Even though equipment like pull-up bars or punching bag, are important accessories like gym gloves and yoga mat are very essential for the end results. The situation is worsened by the fact that you will have to part with hefty amounts of cash to purchase a pair of gloves of the best grade. But how do you ensure that you buy gym gloves that meet your needs in terms of quality and budget?
In this guide of the top 10 gym gloves, you will not only find significant information on how to purchase the best gym gloves for your workout but also a breakdown of different types of gloves based on their construction and material, advantages of wearing them to the gym. We also answered some of the most frequently asked questions on gym gloves.
We hope that this guide goes a long way in helping you make the right choice.
Our Top Pick
Best for Sweaty Hands
Best for deadlifts
Best for Kettle Bells
Best for Wrist Support
Best for Pocket friendly gloves
Best for Protection
Best for Weight lifting and Body Building
Best Full Fingered Gloves
Best for Women
Advantages of using gym gloves during work outs.
Do you stand to gain by wearing gym gloves as you work out? Is the purchase worthwhile? Despite some gym enthusiasts postulating that you will lose that feeling of iron on your hands, which greatly boosts your morale during work outs, the merits of wearing gloves outweigh this argument.
Here are some of the benefits.
You will have a better grip:
Gyming gloves minimize the chances of weights sliding off your hands by increasing the friction between your hands and the iron as well as absorbing sweat excreted by your hands that would have otherwise caused a lot of sliding.
Protection from calluses and injuries:
Most gloves are cushioned with foam material that safeguards your palm and wrist from injury that might be caused by traction between your skin and direct contact with the weights or the training ground.
Reduces the pressure on your wrists:
You will be able to lift heavier weights when wearing gym gloves as opposed to training with bare hands. Gym gloves increase the ability of your wrist muscles to withstand more pressure. As a result, you will be able to train without having to worry about straining your wrists.
Gym surfaces tend to be littered with dust and sweat soaked fabrics which are all potential breeding grounds of disease causing organisms such as bacteria and viruses. The hand is an important part of the body and with open sores and wounds caused by intense training, you risk contact with such organisms which can be detrimental to your health. Wearing gloves will ensure that there is a sturdy barrier between your skin and such organisms.
Builds a lot of confidence as you train:
Without the right amount of confidence, you risk hurting yourself as you lift weights. The key to a successful workout is good confidence. Wearing gym gloves gives you a good grip, stability, and the feeling that you are safe from sliding weights. This boosts your confidence and you are able to achieve your fitness goals faster.
Types of Gym Gloves.
A gym glove differs from the normal glove. It is made specifically for use in workout activities that are normally carried out in the gym. These activities include weightlifting, pull-ups, kettlebell exercises, aerobics, etc. These involve a lot of friction, energy, and movements and gym gloves are designed to meet all these demands.
The following are the major types of gym gloves online.
Open Faced Gloves
These types of gloves are best suited for functional fitness workouts or exercises that need hand or wrist mobility. They have an open back that not only make them very flexible but also minimizes sweating by allowing air movement making them ideal for sweaty hands. Most of the brands in this category have additional support for your wrists. The Spike Premium Leather Fitness Gym Glove (pictured) is a perfect example of gloves in this category.
Minimalistic Design Gloves
They are designed as lightweight which paves way for more flexibility as you work out. Most of the gloves in this category have either short or no wrist wraps.
The material is not only designed to last long but also weighs less on your hands. The Royal Waves gym gloves, the AURION Men’s Weight Lifting Soft Leather Gym Gloves, and the Sports 101 Genuine Leather Netted Gym & Fitness Gloves are all examples of gym glove brands that fall under this category.
Closed gloves are best suited for intense training activities such as weight lifting, kettlebells, or pull ups.
Buying Guide for best gym gloves for your work out.
Different gloves have different features. Knowing the different construction features of gloves will help you make the right choice while buying gloves.
Here are some tips on how to pick the right gloves.
Go for gloves with a firm grip.
Buy a glove that allows you to hold your weights firmly, without them sliding away. A sliding weight is a potential havoc which can result in serious injuries. Gloves that have a textured top surface tend to have a better grip than smooth brands. Sweat cuts down the grip and you ought to choose a glove that have a sturdy fabric with the ability to minimize sweating.
Consider a light padding.
Padding is the cushioning inside a glove. A good cushioning allows you to train comfortably and also minimizes the pressure on your hands as well as the likelihood of injury or bruises to your palm. Choose gloves that have foam cushioning especially if you intend to lift heavy weights. Too much cushioning can also be a deterrent to your work out and therefore pick the glove with that is designed with light cushion.
Settle on a durable, easy to wash material
A good material is durable and able to withstand wear and tear. Leather and neoprene gloves are quite popular not only due to their durability but also their ability minimize the sweat and moisture content in gloves. A good material is easy to wash and hang dry.
Go for a glove with good construction.
Most durable gloves feature sturdy stitching that does not easily come off even when doing the most strenuous exercises or after prolonged use. Go for a glove with a minimalistic design. Gloves with a half finger design are flexible and allow air to circulate more easily hence reducing the sweating.
Pick the right size of the gloves.
The size of gloves that is suitable for you is mainly determined by the thickness and shape of your hands. Buy best gloves for the gym that comfortably fit on your hands. Gyming gloves come in various sizes namely small, medium, large and extra-large. Most retailers have a size chart that will guide you on choosing the most appropriate size.
Below is a typical size chart.
If you still can’t settle on which size is best suited for you, go for medium sized gloves that are made with stretchable material.
Make sure that the glove have a good wrist enclosure system.
The wrist enclosure system is made of a Velcro strap and protects the wrist from any injuries as well as prevents the glove from sliding off as you work out. A suitable glove should have a long wrist strap, preferably 30 cm long, which is wide at the base. The strap should be made with a strong material that can last for long.
Look out for a return policy or warranty.
A return policy will be essential especially if the glove is faulty or does not live up to the expectation within the warranty period. Go for a glove that can be returned for replacement to the supplier in case of anything.
Ensure that the cost of the glove within your budget.
Strike the balance between the demands of your workout activities and how much you are willing to spend on a glove. With as little as 200 rupees, you can purchase a glove from amazon or Flipkart.
1. XTRIM X Macho Men’s Leather Gym Workout Gloves – Our Top Pick
If your wrist moves a lot, or your workout program has exercises with lots of movement, then the Xtrim X Macho gym gloves are the right pick for you.
These gloves not only guarantee an enhanced grip but also ensure that your thumb is protected from injuries. Xtrim X gloves feel comfortable while on your hands and feature double stitched leather making them very durable.
- ½ finger length to ensure that your fingers have a good grip on the weights.
- 50 cm long wrist strap that can stretch hence reducing pressure on the wrists during strenuous movements.
- The material is made of textured natural leather that will improve the grip and ensure that the weights don’t slide from your hands as you work out on multiple surfaces.
- Solid construction that comes double stitched leather which makes the gloves durable.
- Reinforced foam padding that provides comfort during weight lifting exercises.
- A minimalistic design so that it does not feel too heavy on the wrist.
- Flexi-strap wrist closure prevents excess pressure on the wrists.
- Leather fabric is easy to wash and hang dry.
- The wrap around the thumb provides additional protection to your thumb.
- The stitching is sturdy and durable.
- Comes in various sizes that fit different sizes of hands.
- Presence of an antimicrobial lining and mesh that protects the skin from bacteria.
- The glove smells like rubber when new, a smell that takes a long period of time to fade away.
- The rubber design at the back starts to fade after prolonged use.
2. Spike Premium Leather Fitness Gym Gloves – Best for Sweaty Hands
Are you one of those who have sweaty hands and you happen to be searching for a pair of gym gloves that will absorb your sweat while at the same time remain intact on your hands without sliding off? If yes, then the Spike gym gloves set is a good fit for you.
- Comes with a 2 mm thick leather padding that will enhance your grip on weights or barbells during workouts.
- Presence of wrist wraps that prevent any kind of slide or swing as you exercise.
- Comes with a breathable design that allows air movements, therefore, minimizing the sweating on your hands.
- Made with a lightweight microfibre material that ensures the gloves don’t feel heavy on your hands and that the exercise session feels comfortable.
- ½ finger design that allows flexible movement and ensures you have a firm grip on weights as your work out.
- Allows air to move freely thus regulating the temperature levels on your hand.
- Comes in a variety of sizes.
- Presence of an open thumb-space for your thumb.
- Comfortable padding which prevents pain and improves the grip.
- Comes with a lightweight fabric that is not heavy on your hands.
- The gloves have a good construction characterized by a strong stitching.
- Made with durable material.
- The glove feels a bit slippery during chin ups.
- Wrapping or unwrapping the double velcro in between the sets consumes is time-consuming.
3. JoyFit Weight Lifting Gloves with Wrist Wrap Support – Best for deadlifts
The JoyFit Weight Lifting Gloves come with a very creative curve finger design that allows the gloves to fit perfectly in your hands. The top fabric of the gloves is equipped with a honeycomb design that provides you with a better grip and ensures that the gloves don’t slide away during workouts. They are made with heavy padding that makes them ideal for deadlifts.
- ½ finger curves that fit hands of different thickness and shape.
- Honeycomb, an anti-slip design that ensures you have a firm grip as you lift weights.
- A 12”/ 30 cm wrap that tightly secure the glove on your wrist even during the most intense exercises.
- Groove design that allows free circulation of air and ensures that your hands remain sweat free.
- Heavy padding that cushions the palm and ensures comfortable work out sessions.
- The material is strong and built to last.
- Easy to wash and dry.
- They are comfortable and fits well in your hands.
- Provides good cushion.
- The rubber smell sticks around for a little bit longer when the gloves are new.
4. Mojave Half-Finger Tactical Gym Gloves/Bike Gloves – Best for Kettle Bells
If you are searching for a pair of gloves that will protect your hands from injuries and bruises during high-intensity kettlebells workouts, then the Mojave gym gloves are designed for you. Featuring a rough build that comes with reinforced palms, these tenacious gloves ensure that you have a firm grip on the kettlebell weights.
Putting on heavy gloves can limit your exercise and that is why Mojave made their gloves with a lightweight ultra-fiber material that also comes with a durable anti-slip exterior that holds the weights pretty tight.
- A foam cushion design that protects your palms and fingers from injuries.
- A double knit and flexible fabric which enables a good fit even on thick hands and provides adequate support.
- Features a sturdy and rough palm padding that enhances traction with the kettlebells during exercise.
- ½ finger design which ensures you have a firm grip on your kettlebell weights.
- Made with lightweight ultra-fiber that is long lasting and comes with an anti-slip exterior.
- Presence of a Velcro strap that ensures the gloves remain firmly tacked on your wrists even during the most intense exercises.
- Ergonomic design that comes with strong stitching.
- They offer good protection for the knuckles.
- Fits perfectly even on thick hands.
- Ideal to use in hot weather for its functional vent design.
- Comfortable due to the presence of the protective palm padding.
- Pocket-friendly price.
- No warranty or return policy offered.
5. ILARTE Leather Gym Gloves for Man Women – Best for Wrist Support
The ILARTE Leather Gym Gloves come with additional wrist support which helps in enhancing the grip itself along with improving the support for the wrist, in case your hand moves a lot during exercise.
Both the wrist wrap and the long Velcro strap that is wider at the base will not only help in firmly securing the gloves on your wrist but also aids in adjusting the tightness of the fit.They are designed to last for long and withstand friction between your hand and the gym equipment.
- Features a 50 cm long Velcro and a wrist wrap so that you wrap the gloves firmly on your wrist.
- The Palms are cushioned with a foam material to safeguard your hand from injuries and blisters and to provide comfort.
- Made with high quality leather material that is durable and resistant to wear and tear.
- Designed with a mesh at the back which allows for circulation of air thus minimizing sweating.
- ½ finger design that allows you to maintain a good grip on kettlebell weights, dumbbell or barbells.
- Available in different sizes and colours to suit individual customer preferences.
- Good construction and stitching.
- They fit perfectly well on different hand sizes.
- Long wrist band.
- Affordably priced
- Facilitates a good grip during training.
- Comfortable during work outs.
- A few users complained about its quality
6. Royal waves Gym Gloves – Best for Pocket friendly gloves
Despite not looking very stylish, the Royal Waves gloves are a perfect pick for gym enthusiasts on a tight budget. They are made with a stretchable, lightweight rubber material that feels comfortable on your hands and enables them to fit perfectly on different hand sizes and shapes. The palm side of the gloves is well cushioned with foam material which protects the hands from injury, calluses or bruises during intense training.
To ensure that the gloves remain tacked on the wrist during gym sessions, the gloves feature an extra wrap and flexi-strap wrist closure which also reduces the pressure on the wrists.
- Made with light stretchable leather material that is durable.
- An elegant closure system that firmly secures the gloves and minimises the pressure on the wrists during training.
- Short finger design which helps maintain a firm grip on the gym equipment.
- Flexi-strap wrist closure that prevents putting strain on the wrists.
- They are stretchable hence fit well on hands of different thickness.
- Comfortable especially when doing planks and pull ups
- Rubber material is simple to wash and hang dry.
- Pocket friendly
- Stitching is not very strong and might come off.
- Minimal air circulation which might lead to sweating and bad odour.
7. Xfinity Fitness Weight Lifting Gym Wrist Support Fingerless Gloves – Best for Protection
The Xfinity glove is tailored to offer you maximum protection by minimising the risk of injuries or bruises as you weight lift. These gloves are a good option especially if you are looking for gloves that have a thick cushioned palm that not only feels comfortable on the hands but also cushions your hand especially during the most strenuous exercises.
The gloves also feature an elegant enclosure wrap system that not only firmly secures the gloves on your hands but also ensures that your wrist is not exposed to friction that could result in injuries and scratches.
- Palm is cushioned with foam which provides a comfortable padding and protection.
- 12 inches long flexi-strap enclosure for a better grip and reduced pressure on the wrist as you train.
- Made with natural grained leather that offers good traction between your hand and the gym dumbbell, barbell, etc.
- Double stitched to ensure that the glove is long lasting and resistant to wear and tear.
- Comes with a short finger design that provides the fingers with room for movement.
- The back of the glove has a mesh fabric that allows air movement and reduces sweating during training.
- Easily washable and dries quickly
- Offers a fine grip between gym equipment and your hand.
- The fabric is soft, light, and durable.
- Thick padding that offers protection to palm against bruises and injuries
- Comes with a long adjustable strap.
- Thumb protection.
- There are no size options.
8. AURION Men’s Weight Lifting Soft Leather Gym Gloves – Best for Weight lifting and Body Building
Featuring a high quality leather fabric, the Aurion gym gloves are designed to last long even under the most strenuous exercises. These elegant looking gloves come in handy when lifting heavy weights due to their sturdy construction that resists any kind of wear and tear.
To avoid that bad odour interference or constant slipping of gloves during workouts due to excessive sweating, Aurion included a breathable mesh backing that allows free circulation of air and therefore regulates the temperature inside the gloves.
- Features a high quality leather fabric that is resistant to tear and last long.
- A mesh at the back of the hand that regulates sweating and prevents the moisture from building up.
- Foam padding provides comfort as you lift weights and protects your hands from injury or blisters.
- Presence of a wrist wrap that safely secures the gloves around your arm and minimises the pressure on the wrists.
- Made with double stitched leather that ensures makes the gloves durable.
- Half finger design that allows your fingers to easily move.
- Fits perfectly well on most hands.
- Material is tough, durable, and washable.
- Good and sturdy construction design.
- Presence of a stretchable wrap that protects the wrists.
- The gloves feel comfortable and cushions the hand from injuries and blisters.
- No size options for different hand sizes and shapes.
9. Kobo Cross Fitness Training Gym Gloves – Best Full Fingered Gloves
If you are not a fan of the half fingered brand of gloves, then the Kobo Cross Fitness Training Gym Gloves are made for you. These vibrant unisex gym gloves not only offer comfort during training but also feature a good construction that is long lasting.
- Made with synthetic leather that enhances the grip.
- Feature small proliferations that allow air to move easily hence controlling the moisture content in the gloves.
- The top sides of the gloves is equipped with lightweight mesh that regulates the temperature inside the gloves.
- Good construction that features a sturdy stitching making them very durable.
- They are full fingered.
- Equipped with wrist straps that make it easy to wear and take off the gloves.
- Presence of cushioned padding that ensure comfort as you work out your way to fitness.
- Leather material that is sturdily stitched make the gloves durable.
- Comfortable and offers protection against bruises during training.
- Breathable mesh that reduces the amount of sweating inside the gloves.
- They come in an ergonomic design.
- Fits perfectly
- Pocket friendly price.
- Need to be washed regularly to maintain good hygiene.
10. Sports 101 Genuine Leather Netted Gym & Fitness Gloves with Wrist Support – Best for Women
Constructed from lightweight microfibre mesh, the Sports 101 Genuine Leather netted gym and fitness gloves feature a level padding for added comfort and protection from injuries or blisters during training. These gloves are equipped with a smart mesh at the back which makes sures that you don’t have to worry about dampness or excessive sweating.
They are ergonomic and come in several bright colours but also available in solid black if prefer an understated vibe.
- Made with leather that comes with a heavy padding that minimises the pressure on your hands during training.
- Features a smart mesh at the back which reduces the amount of sweating by improving the ventilation in the gloves.
- Comes with a wrist wrap that secures your wrist during training.
- Light and does not feel heavy on the hands.
- Fits comfortably on your hands.
- Comes with a genuine leather that is durable.
- Easily washable.
- Comes with an affordable price tag.
- A few users have complained about its average quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.Does wearing gym gloves weaken my grip?
No, it won’t. In fact, you’ll have a better grip. Gym gloves improve the friction between your hand and the training equipment or surface which improves the grip. A better grip will help you train more confidently and reduce the chances of the gym equipment sliding, which can cause injuries or blisters on your hands.
2. What is the difference in functionality between half fingered gloves and full fingered gloves?
Half fingered gloves allow proper ventilation so that your hands don’t get really hot and sweaty. They also facilitate free movement of your fingers thus allowing you to have a better grip as you train. On the other hand, full fingered gloves protects the whole hand from bruises but limits the mobility of fingers. Both types provides cushioning to the hands as you work out.
3. Must I buy gym gloves with a wrist wrap?
It depends on the type of work out you want to do, your wrist stability and your personal preference.
A wrist wrap protects your hand from excessive pressure and improves its stability whichallows them support more weight. If you are lifting weights or doing training that involves a lot of movement, buy a gym glove with a good wrist enclosure system. Most gloves have a wrap but there are also options that don’t have one in case you prefer a glove with a minimalistic design.
4. I saw a glove with a feature labelled “Reinforced stitching.” What does this mean?
Stitching is the threading of two or more fabrics together. It helps to hold the two fabrics together. A single line of thread is very weak and can come off during intense training or after prolonged use of a glove. Gloves with reinforced stitching have two or more lines of sewing which makes the joint stronger and anti-tear.
5. Why do gloves made of rubber smell so bad when new?
Most rubber gloves are made of natural rubber which stinks when new. The smell is produced by compounds in the rubber which react with the air but the smell goes away with age. Most manufacturers have devised chemicals that keep off the smell even when the gloves are new. High quality rubber will rarely produce any noticeable odour.
6. What fabric is used in the inner side of side of a glove?
Most gym gloves come are made with foam material in the interior which provides a comfortable cushion to your hands as you work out and protects your palm from injuries and bruises. The foam material also absorbs moisture and sweat quickly and dry easily when washed.
7. What is free size and are there free size gym gloves in the market?
Free size means that a glove can fit perfectly well on hands of different sizes and shapes. Most free-sized gloves are made of a stretchable material which has the ability to adjust according to the hand size of the person who wears it. Go for these types of gloves in case you are not sure of the size that fits you well or if your preferred glove does not have size options.
8. Can I get just one of the gloves in my pair replaced?
Gloves are sold as a set of two, with one glove for the left hand and another one for the right hand. Whereas most suppliers offer return policy and warranty, it is likely that your supplier will only accept and replace both of the gloves, not just one.
9. Where can I buy gym gloves?
Online stores such as Amazon provide a wide range of gym gloves to pick from, have a return policy on almost all gloves, and their prices are quite favorable since their suppliers source the gloves directly from different manufacturers. However, you can still buy good gloves from your local sports shop but ensure that there is a warranty in case the gloves turn out to be sub-standard.
10. How do I clean and maintain Gym Gloves in a good state?
Although gym gloves have numerous benefits, poor hygiene and maintenance practices can potentially turn them into a health hazard.
Poor practices such as throwing sweaty gloves away in a damp storage bag after use can encourage the growth of disease causing bacteria. The gloves will eventually start to smell.
To prevent this, here is how to clean your gloves after use.
- Soak the gloves in warm and soapy water after use.
- In the soapy water, massage them with your hands for a few minutes.
- Rinse and repeat the process with the gloves inside-out.
- Next, hang dry them in direct sunlight.
- Keep them in a cool and dry room until next use.
Gym gloves are definitely a must have item on your list of gym accessories. We classified the gym gloves above based on user experience and feedback on Amazon from people who bought various gloves.
The list above contains some of the most popular and highly ranked gloves but is certainly not conclusive. The most important thing when you purchase a gym glove is to ensure that it helps you meet your fitness goals and also falls within your budget.
Remember that different gloves are well suited for different purposes. For example, a glove with too much cushion might be ideal for pull ups and lifting weights but not suitable for light exercises or small hands.
Our top pick, the XTRIM X Macho Men’s Leather Gym Workout Gloves is durable, fits well, and provides good cushion to your hands. It also comes in at a good price. The other gloves are also worth consideration, and hopefully, you are now in a better position to make the right purchase.