11 Best Dumbbells
Working out and being fit is one art that people engage in, to remain physical and look great. People visit the gym to exercise the body and gain more muscles, and there is a range of various equipment that is used to achieve this feat, such as pull-up bars, punching bags etc one of which is the dumbbell.
We have mentioned everything that you require to make the right purchase like exercises you can do, the different types of dumbbells available, features of it and also the benefits of using it for workouts. Apart from these, we have also listed a comprehensive buying guide, top dumbbell recommendations and answered some frequently asked questions.
11 Great Products We Can Vouch For
Complete workout set
Perfect for workout freaks
Most affordable fixed dumbbell
great for beginners
Ideal for home use
Perfect for professionals
Ideal for strength exercises
Quality at a budget
Perfect for Women
The Different Dumbbell Exercises
There are numerous areas of the body in which dumbbells exercises can be felt, more areas that you would ever imagine. But, the various muscles require a particular format of use of the dumbbell for it to be affected. That is, various forms of dumbbell workouts, affect different muscles of the body.
Dumbbell bench press
This exercise form with the dumbbell mainly works on the muscles of the chest, shoulder, and triceps. At the chest, this exercise improves the pecs – which are the large muscles of the chest, and also, it works on the deltoid, which forms a rounded covering over the shoulder. The triceps are muscles located at the back of your upper hands.
The dumbbell shrug helps to work on your trapezius – muscles that extend from the base of your neck, all the way down to the middle of the back, and right over your collar bones.
With the dumbbell, you get to do a movement known as the elbow flexion, and it helps to relax the biceps which when contracted forms a rounded mount on the fore of the humerus.
Bent over rows
During this exercise, when the weight of the dumbbell is pulled up against your lower stomach, your shoulder blades are drawn inside, and this tends to work the rhomboids major and minor, muscles between your left and right shoulders.
Dumbbell calf raise
When this exercise is done while you are standing, it helps to work on your knee calves. If this is done while sitting, the attention of work is shifted on to the soleus, a muscle which is the other part of the calves.
When you extend your hip as well as the flexion, it works on your glutes – buttock muscles, quadriceps – muscles in front of your thigh, and hamstrings – a muscle that runs from right under the glutes, up to the hind part of the thigh.
Features that complement the dumbbell
There are some features to the dumbbell that makes it a great work out equipment. The complete set up for a dumbbell must comprise this equipment, for it to be optimal in serving its function. Required are; good sets of dumbbells, dumbbell rack, and a workout bench.
There is no need for a further explanation on dumbbells, but dumbbell racks are racks that are important as they help keep things organized in the gym, as well as extend the life of your weights. The dumbbell racks help keep your weights handy and keep the flow of your workout seamless.
Also, the dumbbell racks are useful because they keep your weights from lying around where they can cause health hazards. When you want to buy this for your exercise routine, you must consider the firmness and the ability of the rack to handle a massive amount of weight.
Meanwhile, benches are very important to your workout routine with the dumbbell, as it helps you with a full body workout. The workout bench is similar to the normal bench you have around, but it is designed primarily for weight training. These benches come in different designs, such as; fixed horizontal, fixed inclined, fixed in folded position, etc.
Advantages of Working out with the Dumbbell
There are various ways in which the use of dumbbells can serve as an advantage to you when done rightly.
The use of dumbbells can help you build muscles when the weight is heavy. It increases the mass of your muscles, and thereby, you burn more calories through the course of the day. According to scientists, a pound of muscle burns a considerable amount of calorie daily, than a pound of fat would. The effective exercise with dumbbells can help build muscles, or just tone your muscles, whichever way.
Stabilization and activation
To effectively carry out a dumbbell exercise, you need to be stable on your feet, hence, with the use of dumbbells over time, you enjoy improved stability. Also, your muscles get activated in the course of consistent exercise.
Improved Cardio health
When you use dumbbells, you get to increase your heart rate, and this, in turn, improves your cardiovascular health. The frequent use of the dumbbell makes your heart rate faster, and in time, it gets to move into the aerobic zone. It is a form of aerobic exercise, and according to research, aerobic exercises help to improve the cholesterol of the blood.
Loss of weight and prevention of diseases: Using dumbbell is an aerobic workout, and this raises your heart rate, hence, aiding the burning of calories.You get to lose weight in this process, and loss of weight decreases your risk of diseases by a chunk. You are less prone to diseases such as diabetes, coronary heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, or lower back pains.
Yes, workouts with a dumbbell help increase the density of your bones, making it less prone to fracture.
Prolonged use of dumbbells during workout sessions teaches one thing to the muscles – endurance. As an athlete, the muscles are made to repeat processes or turns, and this needs the muscles to be active. The use of dumbbells could help your muscles develop the endurance needed as soon as possible.
Types of Dumbbell
There are three dumbbell types as of now, though in the 17th century, the familiar shape of dumbbell that carries two equal weights on both sides, had been more popular.
First to note is the adjustable dumbbells
The adjustable dumbbell is one with metals bars, and in this type of dumbbell, the center portion has a rough pattern inscribed on it, to enhance the firmer grip of athletes or users. The weight of this dumbbell can be altered, as additional weights can be added or removed and secured with clips or collars to hold them in place.
One example of the adjustable dumbbell is the spinlock dumbbell.The main feature of the spinlock dumbbell is that it is threaded at its ends, so as to allow large nuts as clips. There are other traditional methods of securing the dumbbell, which can be a dumbbell with a smooth end, and have sprung collars used to secure the ends. But, innovations have caught up with the use of dumbbells, and there are easier methods to adjust the weight on a dumbbell.
Fixed weight dumbbells
This dumbbell type are those weights that have been shaped as a dumbbell. They have their weights written on them in kg, and they can be made of cheap materials, such as cast iron that is coated with either neoprene or rubber, to reduce the harshness on the hands. Also, rubber filled with concrete can be used as affixed alternative.
This type of dumbbells are similar to adjustable dumbbells, and can sometimes be used interchangeably, but the difference is that the weights of the selectorized dumbbell can be altered while resting in the dumbbell stand, it is automated, rather than manual in adjustable dumbbells.
You need to punch in the number of plates that need to follow the dumbbell when lifted. This form is quite easier and lets you focus more on the exercise at hand, and get things going quickly. It also helps in the storage of plates that are currently not in use for a particular exercise session.
Guide to the Best Dumbbell for You
Getting the best dumbbell for your workout session can be an uphill task, and we are just here to guide you to pick the optimal dumbbell for your desired result. There are many factors that need to be considered when you are picking the best dumbbell for you:
There are many types of dumbbells out there, with varieties of colors, shapes, sizes and even systems. Starting with systems, there are three different systems of dumbbells, as they have been listed above as types of dumbbells. You need to consider the type that would suit your need before you go out or online to purchase your dumbbell.
You should also consider the grip of the dumbbell. There are dumbbells with smooth grip, and this could slide off during workout session, and if the grips are rough, it could be painful on the hand.
Weight of the dumbbell
You need to put this into careful consideration, and you should experiment with your ideal weight, especially if you are going for a fixed dumbbell. You don’t want to buy a 100kg dumbbell when all you can carry is a 40kg one. Carrying weight is not rocket science, you need to start from the smaller weights till you advance, especially if you are a beginner at weight lifting.
But, if you are no beginner, what you would be using the dumbbell for also determines what weight you should consider getting. You could use dumbbells for curls, for upper body strength and the whole body strength.
Per these forms of exercise, you need to consider and ascertain your maximum limit, and then buy a dumbbell that is at least a step higher in weight than your maximum limit.
How much space is available
You need to consider where you want to have your dumbbells placed, and how much space is available in such areas. If you are kitting up your home fora a workout, you would need a large enough space, but if you are simply considering having some equipment somewhere in your living room, you would rather be okay with smaller equipment.
If your garage is going to be your workout station, you could consider purchasing a set of fixed weights and a dumbbell rack. There is enough space for this. If your workout area is smaller, say your living room, you should consider buying and setting up an adjustable dumbbell.
To have a really pleasant workout session, you would need to get a couple of complementing accessories with your dumbbell. Examples of these are;
- Gloves: If you are constantly working out, and if you are going to be involved with the dumbbell the more, you are prone to having blisters and calluses. Textures of the grip would be tailored to the weight of the dumbbell to make the lifting easier. Hence you need to get gloves to protect your hand.
- Mats: Dropping weight equipment on the floor can be very damaging, hence, the need to get mats that are designed for weight lifting. They are designed to withstand the impact of a free weight when they are dropped. The mat to choose should be made of very thick and dense rubber and must be at least, the half of an inch in thickness. You could get ones with thicker width, to protect your floor and dampen the sound from the drop.
- Bench: With the use of a dumbbell bench, you get to work more on your shoulders and chest, while lying down and your legs on the floor. You get to push the weights straight up, maintain them at a level around your shoulder, and drop them back to your body level. This movement can only be achieved on the bench.
When a dumbbell is made of metal, it is most likely plated with chrome, plastic or vinyl. Chromeddumbbells are of more durability than plastic ones, even if you are going to use them at home. When dumbbells are coated in rubber, they can tend to produce sounds and absorb impacts. You need to carefully consider this fact if you are going to be picking out a dumbbell.
Also, the material used in making the handles also matter. Dumbbells are knurled (cross-hatched) so that you can have a perfect grip even if you are sweaty. This is great for you if your dumbbell is made of metal. But, if made of vinyl, there would be no knurling on the handle, but the material itself would serve the function of the knurl.
There are two ways to it, knurled or not, it all depends on the material used, yours is to choose the material that suits your need most.
For dumbbells to feel perfect and perform the function of building muscles and ultimately stabilizing your muscles, they need to have the perfect size, shape, and texture. They must be shaped to fit your hand, and if you can’t easily grab hold of the dumbbell, they are not yours – no good. The optimum diameter of a normal dumbbell should be about 1 inch, but for a higher weight dumbbell, it can go up to 2 inches in diameter. If the dumbbell diameter is out of this range, then it is not for you.
When all these are put into consideration, you are ready to get yourself the perfect set of dumbbells that would make you look as fit as possible. Now, here is a list of 10 great dumbbell products you should choose from.
Type of training
If you are planning to perform a particular exercise, you should buy dumbells which suit your training type. Such as bench press, weighted squats, etc. All these exercises need different types of dumbells. So have an idea about the type of training and buy accordingly.
The space available at your workout sessions space determines the size of the dumbells you should prefer to buy. If you have large space, you can opt to buy dumbells of larger rods, else, go for short length rods.
1. Bodygrip Dumbbell set Combo, 12kg – Our Pick
Do you want your dumbbell gym set in one place? Then this is your perfect one — a combination of all gym tools needed for the dumbbell with your weight plates on both sides of your rod, all possible combination.
- The weights can be changed to suit your need
- It has 2kg plates in four places, and 1kg plates in four places
- You will also avail gym gloves, hand gripper and skipping rope in this set
- The weights can be adjusted
- It is durable and usable for a long period
- They have a wider weight range. Hence, you can use them for a longer time, even as your capacity increases
- It is suitable for variety of work out styles, from simple to difficult.
- The weights are not even
- They are round, hence not apt for push-ups
2. Protoner 10kg Adjustable dumbbells with string bag – Complete workout set
Protoner is passionate about workout and fitness, and they have made this their daily goal, which is why there is the production of the home gym set, which is inclusive of basic equipment you will need to get your fitness training going at your convenience. The set has a variety of weights, skipping rope, gym gloves, wrist bands, bars, etc. With this set, you can go on different feats of exercise, as scheduled by you or trainer.
- It is made of polyvinyl chloride
- There are some free accessories in the set, including gym bag, sweat bands, hand gripper, skipping rope and a pair of gloves.
- There are two rods each 15 inches in length in the set
- They are very easy to clean
- They help you give more strength to the core of your body
- With the frequent use, you get to maintain a nice body posture by burning excess fat and losing weight
- Gives more strength to the muscles of your abdomen, chest, and arms
- It is very handy and has a good grip
- It is not bulky unlike fiber coated dumbbells
- They can’t be used for push-ups
- They tend to roll away when dropped and can cause damage to the person or property
3. RUBX Rubber coated professional exercise Hex dumbbells – Perfect for workout freaks
This workout tool is the perfect asset for workout freaks and is super suitable for both beginners and professionals. It can be used anywhere in the home. It creates more balance with its seamless and unique design. It is a six-sided dumbbell that is covered by fine virgin rubber.
It is suitable for commercial and home gyms, coming in pairs, made with cast iron that is good for storage, daily use and workout sessions. It is designed to give your body building needs, from a variety of exercises that you can do with it.
- The handle is ergonomically designed to prevent slipping during workout sessions
- They are made of premium quality virgin rubber, that provides better grip and handling, thereby preventing injuries
- It is black, giving it a classy look
- The weight is accurate and the material used is premium
- It has a fair price, and it is of high quality
- It doesn’t wear and tear easily
- It has a really good grip
- It is easy to handle
- They do not roll around even when placed on an uneven floor
- The rubber casing is to reduce noise
- It cannot be adjusted; the weight is fixed.
4. KORE DM-HEXA-COMBO16 Dumbbells kits – Most affordable fixed dumbbell
Going for a cheap price, this dumbbell set is perfect for your pocket and set to deliver quality resistance to your workout session. The weight is fixed; hence they are not prone to sliding off the handle bar. The durability that is featured in this weight remains unmatched by competition, as it can remain crack and fade free for a considerable length of time. It is safe to drop on the ground, and the design is simply anti-roll.
- There are two hexagonal dumbbells each of 1kg and available at different fixed weight from 1 kg to 15 kgs
- The weight is true to its label, as heavy as stated
- Hexagon dumbbells to avoid rolling away
- It has a very nice packaging
- It is anti-roll; hence it cannot damage property when left standing
- It is highly durable and long lasting
- They are not adjustable
5. Aurion Hand Dumbbells – great for beginners
If you are a Gym owner and you need dumbells for workouts or if you are a Gym freak and wish to buy it for your home workout sessions, you can opt for buying this all-new product that has come into market, Aurion Hand Dumbbells.
It comes in varying weight, and you can choose according to your wish. It is designed in such a way that it does not damage your flooring.
- These dumbells are made up of PVC material, which makes the grip more stable and easier to handle. The non-slip grip increases during long or running sessions.
- If you are planning to make a home gym and fear about the flooring gets damaged due to the weight. This product gives protection against damaged flooring.
- The dumbells are available in varying weights such as 1 x 2= 2kg, 2 x 2 = 4kg, 3 x 2 = 6kg, 4 x 2 = 8 kg, 5 x 2 = 10kg.
- They are one of the basic equipment which is needed for training sessions.
- Works great for beginners as it is filled with PVC and sand.
- A suitable product for cross fit home gym training and aerobic sessions.
- It is a sand-filled product and not completely PVC.
6. Cockatoo rubber coated professional Round dumbbells – Ideal for home use
This dumbbell product is a pack of two, and it is an extremely useful exercise tool. It can help you develop strength in your core, and gives you an incredible amount of balance. The weights are coated with rubber to ensure that the surfaces they would be placed on are damage free.The weight is a single mold that allows for even weight distribution when lifted, and it is just perfect for both professionals and enthusiasts.
- It has ridged handlebars to prevent it from slipping from your hand
- The pair are built from a single mold
- The weights at the end are round in shape
- Ideal for gym and home use
- These dumbbells are rubber coated to prevent damaging the surface
- As a result of the single mold, there is an even distribution of weight when the weight is lifted
- The brand logo is inscribed on the side, to enable you to identify genuine products
- The product is for high quality
- It has a very good grip
- The product is durable and lasts for years
- The rubber coating gives no smell
- The rubber coating is not affected by non AC environment
- It has a compact look
- They are not adjustable; they are fixed
- Its round shape prevents it from being used for push-u
7. Amazonbasics neoprene dumbbells – Perfect for professionals
This dumbbell by Amazonbasics is great as it helps to add resistance to your workout session. It can be used by you, whether you are a beginner or professional. There are so many benefits of using this product, you get to tone your muscles, build your strength, burn calories, increase the level of your energy, and protect your bone, all from the use of this dumbbell.
It comes in different weights, ranging from 1lbs to 20lbs, and each pair is sold separately, so, you are free to choose your choice.
- It features a blue color, meant for easy identification
- It has a hexagonal shape to prevent rolling away
- Each end of the dumbbell has the weight printed on it
- It is coated with Neoprene for a secure grip
- The hexagonal shape prevents it from rolling away
- It can be gripped easily, thanks to its neoprene coating
- It can be used for professional and non-professional purposes
- They are attractive and gentle to the hands
- They are ideal weights for females
- The weights are fixed, they cannot be adjusted
8. Bodystation bouncer dumbbells – Ideal for strength exercises
The Bodystation bouncer dumbbell has a weight from the range of 5kg to 35kg. The pair of two is suitable for simple exercises, and also ideal for professionals.
- The dumbbell has a round shape
- The grip is made of steel, and rough for proper handling
- Each dumbbell in the pair weighs 5kg
- It has a rubber coating
- Ideal for toning and strength exercises
- It has a really good grip
- The material is very good and user have appreciated its quality
- It feels well balanced
- Available at a reasonable price tag
- The length is too wide, which obstructs movement during curls exercise
9. Nodens rubber coated hex dumbbells – Best quality
Been searching for a hexagonal dumbbell that can be used perfectly for various exercises as well as push-ups? This is your man right here. It is a fixed weight paired dumbbell. This dumbbell brings effective resistance to your workout session, building your muscular strength, and improved bone health, as well as enhance your mood. The weight would make your muscles get strengthened together, and are developed independently of one another.
Nodens is a brand that dwells in the realm of the third generation, making workout equipment that are made with absolute craftsmanship and brilliance, solving various issues in sports. The brand has a sound knowledge of the application of various products, and they are poised to building trusted equipment to meet athlete needs.
- It is made of a one-piece high quality cast iron that has been melted and pressed to fit as very good handles.
- The dumbbell is hexagonal, which would allow you to pick it up just where you left it, without it rolling around.
- The rubber casting is premium produced from the recycling of rubber covers.
- The handles are coated with chrome and are designed ergonomically, which allows for easy control by your palm.
- They are easy to handle, and better to control
- They do not roll away as a result of their hexagonal shape
- They are fixed and not adjustable.
10. Technix Pro Series Dumbbell – Quality at a budget
Weighing a total of 2kg, this weight delivers quality for its low price, the solid rubber dumbbell is just a great addition to your workout area. It has a consistent sleek design throughout its range, which makes it just perfect for both domestic and commercial usage. The weight is a single piece, and this makes it not susceptible to easy damage.
- It has round heads with a cross hatched chrome handle for grip and durability
- It has rubber over-molded heads
- It is less susceptible to damage
- Tampered handles for extra comfort
- Ideal for gym and home use
- They are easy to carry along on travels
- The design is compact
- It has a very good grip
- Available at an affordable price tag
- No specific negative point about the product
11. Klapp Unisex PVC Dumbbells – Perfect for Women
This dumbbell is a super money saver, that is just right for home and domestic use, not for any serious workout session. It has a very fine design, made from high end polyvinyl chloride material. Its traditional pink color (though there are other color) depicts that it is mainly for the women folks who just want to engage in a bit of home exercise. This is yours if all you are looking for, is something to flex your muscles, or use in some other exercise, like morning walk, etc.
- It is made of PVC
- Weight ranges from 1kg – 5kg
- It has a nice rounded edges
- It is a nice product with a good grip
- Great for home use
- Its weights are too light for an intense home workout session
- The weight range available is too small
- They cannot be adjusted
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How often should I clean my dumbbells and how should I clean it?
You should make sure to clean your weight as many time as possible (Whenever there is a real need). They should be dusted from time to time. Before you start use, dust them with a soft-haired brush. The cleaning should not be too intense, unless they have really been exposed to too much dirt – for example, if they have been stained with oil or grease.
Irrespective of how clean your gym room is, there would always be dirt on the surface of your dumbbells. The amount of dirt on the surface of your dumbbell can affect its weight. Take for instance, when you just cleaned your weight, the weight drops a tad, but as use continues, they are exposed to normal dirt in the air and they are back to normal.
Therefore, it is not advisable to regularly do deep cleaning of the weight with solvent cleaning agents, as they tend to change the surface chemistry of the weights, thereby disturbing the equilibrium. Cleaning makes the dumbbell less stable in terms of mass, for a brief moment.
2. Here is a quick procedure on how you should properly clean your dumbbell
Before you clean: Before you take the step of wanting to clean your weight, you must be so sure that you really need to clean the weights. As said earlier, cleaning tampers with the equilibrium in weight of your dumbbell. You can also take the prior weight of the dumbbell before cleaning, so that you can ascertain the change in weight when you are done cleaning.
How to clean:
- Use a clean soft brush to lightly dust the dumbbell
- If needed, you can use a soft clean cloth
- If the stain is beyond the first two steps, you can consider using solvent cleaning as a last resort.
- More professional cleaning procedures include Ultrasonic baths and soxhlet apparatus
When you are done cleaning your dumbbell, you must leave it for a while for it to be recalibrated, you can weigh it again to confirm this.
3. Do I need dumbbell racks too?
Absolutely yes, you need to get dumbbell racks if you want your gym room or space to look neat and arranged. The gym racks enable your dumbbells to also stay in position, rather than littering the ground or rolling around, where they can cause damage to persons or properties. Most importantly, if your dumbbell is a fixed one, you should consider getting the right dumbbell rack, as it stops them from rolling around, since they are not anti-roll
4. Which shape of dumbbell is better to get?
You can get any shape of dumbbell, but they both have pros and cons. If you are looking to exercise with your dumbbell, e.g. push-ups, you should get a hexagonal dumbbell as this would be able to stay in place on the floor, as you do your thing. But, if you can afford a dumbbell rack, you could get a round dumbbell that is devoid of edges that can cause injury. Whatever shape is good, you just have to understand the shape you are getting and what need each might pose.
5. Can I return the dumbbells if I don’t like them or they get damaged?
It all depends on the warranty on the dumbbells after purchase. Some sellers might not have warranty, some have shorter warranties, while others could be as long as a year. It is advisable that you confirm the warranty on the product before you order, as this would enable you to return the product if there arises an unusual issue with it after purchase.
6. What’s the most important part to consider when I want to pick my dumbbell?
There is not ultimate feature you should look out for when you want to pick your dumbbell. Thelist of features you should watch out for have been provided in the guide above, all you need to do is to examine the various dumbbells you come across and pick the one that mostly suit your need. The major thing to consider in picking a dumbbell is yourself, you should identify what you would be okay with and go for the one that has that feature.
7. Are the low priced dumbbells any good?
Sure, they are. That dumbbells are low priced does not mean they wouldn’t serve their purpose; you just need to identify if the low-priced dumbbell can deliver what you want. In fact, that a dumbbell is high-priced and super quality does not mean it would serve your purpose.
8. Are rubber dumbbells good?
Rubber dumbells come with steel handles and have iron weights which are covered along with rubber coating. In terms of durability, these dumbells are considered to be one of the best options for users.
Using dumbbells during your workout session is highly beneficial, and is a whole lot easy to handle, have, keep and maintain than the barbell. But, just like shopping for any other product, you need to carefully pick out the best product, one that you are almost certain would suffice for your need, and not just one to catch the fancy of anyone.
To streamline the long list of dumbbells out there, we have coined this list of ten, to make your choosing easier. Feel free to follow the links to the dumbbell of your choice. Our picks: Bodygrip Dumbbell set Combo, RUBX Rubber coated professional exercise Hex dumbbells and Amazonbasics neoprene dumbbells.