Best Headphones for Running
Running is one of the best exercises to keep your heart happy. It’s a known fact that doing what you love and enjoy yield better results. As you step outside to jog or run you expect it to be a perfect day with the fresh breeze sweeping through your face, but we don’t live in the perfect world, do we? Distractions make their way into your head and avoid you from further exercise. And the best way to avoid distractions is with headphones.
Headphones come in a huge variety of products, and one such very useful type are the headphones for running. Music or audiobooks, headphones are a proven boon to all the runners out there. However, there are safety measures to be followed. If you are stepping outside in a busy area, it is important to be aware of your surroundings by keeping a minimal volume. This can also avoid ear damage. Headphones can keep you concentrated, motivated, and a lot more depending on the genre you listen to.
The most preferred type of headphones are wireless headphones, which have a lot of advantages. What can be better than a comfortable run? This is what you will have when no cables and wires are tangling in your body. With your favorite music playing, your work out gets more interesting and intense. There are even noise cancelation headphones and In-ear headphones that you can try while running.
If you listen to music while you run, workout, or play sports, you’re probably familiar with the feeling of accidentally ripping out your headphone cable in the heart of the action.
Or worse, you might have tried exercising with over-ear headphones, only to ruin the ear cups the first time you dripped sweat on them.
The best option for who is always moving is a good pair of Bluetooth earbuds.
Wireless earbuds free you from the burden of the audio cable without compromising audio quality.
Many earbuds are even specifically designed for fitness use, boasting sweat-proofing, rugged casings, and internal batteries that outlast even the most insane workouts.
Our best selling headphones for running article will give you the details about types of headphones available in the market as well as detail buyers guide on best sports earphones in India to finalize on the best runner headphones along with top 9 best headphones in India Read to explore more about runner’s headphones available in the market.
Top 9 Best Headphones For Runners
Types of Headphones
1. Wired headphones
These are the basic ones which would probably be attached to the phones of everyone. This can be used by runners and joggers if your MP3 player does not support the Bluetooth connection or any wireless connections. However, the main disadvantage of wired headphones is wire. You’d want to run and burn calories rather than spending your time untangling the cables away from your body.
2. Wireless Headphones
This is mostly preferred by people who want to have an irritation-free workout. They are just fixed on your ears without disturbing other parts of your body while running or jogging. Being safe and comfortable, they can be connected to your devices through Bluetooth.
3. Ear Buds
They are lightweight, and if you have a good pair, they will sit comfortably in your ears until the end of your workout. This can be preferred as there will not be any extra weight on your head, and they are easy to carry as well. In some cases, they are not even seen by others, and this can be taken as an advantage. However, it might be irritating to your eardrums as they are placed inside the ears.
4. Over-the-ear Headphones
They last longer than any headphones and come with amazing sound quality. If you buy the best over ear headphone, you will have a mini Home-theatre set over your ears. One main disadvantage is that they are heavier than the other earphones, and unlike the earbuds, they cannot be folded.
Headphones Buyer’s Guide
These are the things that you should look for before buying the best suitable headphone.
The wireless headphones come with Bluetooth connectivity so that you can easily connect it to your smartphone within a range of 30-35 feet. Also, ensure that they come with a powerful chipset that helps in establishing a smooth and secure Bluetooth connection so that you never lose the connectivity. Thus, you can obtain an uninterrupted sound experience while running.
The earbud or tips should be made of silicone, and they should feature a flexible headband so that you can an adjustable, comfortable, and secure fit. This prevents the headphones from slipping off while running or during workout sessions.
One of the most important things to keep in mind while buying a headphone is the sound quality. Music is what travels through your ears and soothes your brain, and getting the right quality will only enhance the journey. This includes the soundstage, that is, how well the headphones are designed to give your two ears the right amount of sound to balance the output.
As mentioned earlier; wires connect to your ears and the device. They do not need a Bluetooth range to depend on. They come in with amazing qualities and at lower prices. But the most preferred and safe are the wireless headphones. They are connected to your device through Bluetooth, and the wires are off your body while working out.
Passive noise isolation
It is very necessary as it is this feature that lets you be aware of your surrounding. It blocks out sound passively and depends on the type of headphone you are using. While running or jogging outside, it is important to beware as a safety measure.
While working out, the built-in sensors in the headphones is what matters. These range from accelerometers and gyroscopes, biometric heart rate sensors, and optical touch sensors. These can help track your motions for exercise purposes. Fitness enthusiasts can keep tabs on their heart rate without needing an additional device.
As you step out into an open area, sound amplification is what you can control to boost or reduce certain frequencies, such as traffic or while talking to someone.
They are built with water resistant materials to keep sweat and water from damaging the device. These are great for working out outdoors or in the gym as you do not have to interrupt your work out from time to time.
1. Jaybird X3 Sport Bluetooth Headset
The Jaybird X3 is one of the easiest pairs of earphones to recommend for sports use. There’s no ear hook, but the in-ear fins come in different sizes and offer a much less cumbersome that’s just as secure. As a bonus, you can attach the fins in two way to allow you to wear them with the cable feeding over or under your ear, with an adjuster to make it as snug as you like.
As for audio, this again is versatile thanks to the superb bespoke app which lets you create your sound profiles or use those shared by other users in the Jaybird community. It lacks some of the clarity and ring of higher-end earphones, but they’re bassy, loud and great fun. It offers eight hours of battery life, too, which is a major point.
- 8-hour battery life
- Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity
- 6mm drivers
- Passive noise isolation
- Attractive, intuitive app
- Intuitive app with customizable EQ
- Loud and immersive sound
- Charging cradle is less fiddly than Micro-USB
- Stay in your ears
- Sound quality could be better(but at this price that’s a minor complaint)
- Only compatible with iPhone.
2. TaoTronics Wireless Sports Headphones
It is one of the best sports earphones for a workout and running. These are wireless Bluetooth earphones with high fidelity HD sound. It has many features which favor fitness freaks like water-resistant materials, lightweight, stereo sounds, and noise canceling. It sits comfortably in your ears and remains stable during the workout. It comes along with the noise cancellation technology and long battery life for you to run as long as you want.
- Bluetooth 4.1
- IPX5 Sweatproof
- Magnetic earphones with aptX lossless stereo
- Noise-canceling mic
- 8 hours playtime
- 13.6g weight
- Four pairs of interchangeable standard and sport wear ear hooks for maximum comfort
- Inner splash proof Nano coating
- 120mAh rechargeable battery
- CVC 6.0 noise cancellation microphone
- Ceramic antenna to make clearer and more stable calls
- Well developed bass and frequency response.
- Bluetooth connection is simple and intuitive.
- Flexible smart cable
- Doesn’t fit for every ear size.
- Volume button too close to the main button
3. Jaybird Run XT True Wireless Headphones
Jaybird Run XT is an in-ear truly wireless headphone that comes with interchangeable silicone ear tips and ear gels for ensuring a secure, comfortable fit to athletes while running. These are waterproof and sweatproof headphones that work well in the rain or even while running and intense workout sessions. They come with a charging case that offers 12 hours of playtime along with a fast charging capability.
- Type: In-ear truly wireless headphones with Bluetooth connectivity.
- The headphone comes with a charging case, round and oval silicone earbuds, a USB charging cable and Silicone ear gels.
- The interchangeable silicone tips ensure a sports fit for athletes and runners.
- It has an IPX7 rating and a double hydrophobic nano-coating making it waterproof and sweat proof.
- The battery offers 4 hours of playtime per charge and an additional 8 hours of charge in the case.
- Five minutes of charge provides 1 hour of play time.
- Provides premium sound with Custom EQ for a personalized experience.
- Fast charging battery.
- Earbuds ensure a secure and comfortable fit.
- Light-weight design.
- A user mentioned audio lag.
- Another user complained about connectivity issues.
4. ALFO Ace Wireless Headphones
It is one of the best sports earphones for a workout and running. These are wireless Bluetooth earphones with high fidelity HD sound. It has many features which favor fitness freaks like water-resistant materials, lightweight, stereo sounds, and noise canceling. It sits comfortably in your ears and remains stable during the workout. It comes along with the noise cancelation technology and long battery life for you to run as long as you want.
- Bluetooth connection
- Noise Cancellation CVC 6.0
- Dynamic Stereo Sound
- Long Battery up to 8 hours of playback time
- Rechargeable in 1.5 hours
- Operation range 10M
- Fast Recharge
- Flexible Earhooks
- The high fidelity HD sound
- Comfortable and stable
- Call functions with pick up, reject, mute, and redial options with easy to operate button functionalities2
- It is IPX7 Waterproof.
- Ultra long playtime up to 8 hours
- Lightweight and comfortable fit
- Less charging time is required
- The earbuds might annoy the eardrum if placed for a long period.
5. V-MODA Forza Metallo In-Ear Hybrid Headphones
V-Moda is one of the premium brands for headphones. With its unparalleled durability, comfort, and top-notch accessories, it stands out among the other headphones in the world. It delivers Hi-Res Audio certified by the Japan Audio Society. The metal in-ear design sits perfectly in your ears and enhances your workout with high-quality music and features.
- Noise-isolating 5.8mm miniature metal
- Three button mic
- High-resolution audio
- Remixing 3D printed customization
- Tangle-free cable
- Detachable active flex sport fins
- Sport ear hooks
- 5.8mm featherweight micro driver
- Crystal clear communication
- Premium earphone with good bass.
- Great durability and sound quality.
- Certified high-resolution audio.
- Overpriced in India
- The earpiece is at a 90-degree angle, so it is not easy to fit in the ear.
6. Sony MDR-AS210AP Open-Ear Active Sports Headphones
Sony is a well-known brand, and the headphones do not disappoint you in that matter. It fits perfectly in your ears for outdoor running and jogging. The splash-proof and sweat proof design is outstanding and compliments the build. You do not have to worry about your small or large ear size as it has an adjustable ear loop to fit according to ear size. The included clip keeps it from falling, and the in-line microphone helps you attend calls.
- 13.5 mm dynamic driver unit
- Splash-proof and sweat proof design
- In-line microphone
- Adjustable ear loop
- Serrated cord to keep it tangle-free
- 1.2m flexible cord
- 104 dB/mW sensitivity
- 17-22,000 Hz frequency range
- The build quality is good and sturdy.
- Will not fall off while running or jogging.
- Thick wires avoid wearing and tearing.
- Mediocre sound with lesser quality bass.
- Might encounter disturbing voices while attending calls.
7. Tantra Trumpet T-900 Headphones
The premium wired sports headphone steals the show with its thumping bass and treble that keeps you going with enthusiasm. The three pairs of silicone ear tips ensure that they stay secure in your ears, and the flexible ear hooks help you run comfortably. They are lightweight, and that gives you an advantage of not burdening yourself while working out. With the effortless handling and clear music, these make an amazing pair of headphones.
- In line remote and mic
- Noise isolation technology
- Ultra secure Ear hook design
- 20Hz-20KHz frequency
- 102dB/mW sensitivity
- 160ohms impedance
- Four-conductor 3.5mm plug
- 1.2m cord length
- 12.8g weight
- 3.5mm stereo jack
- High-quality dynamic speakers
- Hands-free calling
- It has a good call clarity.
- The wires don’t get tangled
- Can be carried around with the carry case that is of good quality.
- A snug fit in the ears is comfortable.
- The fitting tends to loosen with time.
- Prolonged wear might be painful for some people.
8. BasX Bluetooth headphones
The design makes it best for running and jogging. It is sweatproof and waterproof and can be worn in under any weather condition. The neckband design and tangle-free wires are advantageous and appreciable. Bluetooth V4.2 technology is what makes the connection amazing and best. Clear cut voice and noise cancellation make it peaceful for receiving calls. The latest Bluetooth technology makes the headphones less power consuming. It has wide compatibility and is suitable for any device.
- Neckband design
- Tangle-free wires
- Bluetooth V4.2 technology
- EDR for stereo and bass
- Built-in Mic
- Voice notification for calls
- 30ft Bluetooth range
- Wide compatibility
- Noise isolation technology
- Adjustable for comfort
- It has an amazing bass with crisp sound.
- It is Tangle-free and good quality wires.
- It has a metal earpiece which is better than a plastic earpiece.
- The buttons are sturdy.
- It has a large button system.
- Not stable in the ears.
9. Philips SHQ3205/10 Sports headphones
The ActionFit series is here with headphones that sit securely in your ears. The adjustable hook makes it comfortable and reliable. The powerful bass and excellent sound boost your energy during the workout and keeps you going. They are lightweight and durable. They do not slip while running and come with three ear tip options.
- Three ear tips option- small, medium and large
- Moisture resistant
- 1.2m cable with a reflective stopper
- The earphones don’t slip off after running.
- It comes with a good bass that boosts your energy while running
- The wired feature does not depend on the Bluetooth connection, and hence, there will be no disturbances.
- The wires are not reliable and might wear off with time.
- Might bs irritating to the ears.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you wear overhead headphones while running?
Wearing an Overhead headphone might be uncomfortable while running as you tend to feel hot and sweat a lot.
2 .Are wireless earbuds good for running?
Wireless headphones are an excellent choice for running as there is no need for connecting it manually to the smartphone. This also eliminates the hassle wires may pose while running or working out. Wireless earbuds connect to your device wirelessly and ensure a comfortable, secure fit that prevents them from slipping off.
3. Can I wear running headphones when it is raining?
Yes. It would defeat the wicking feature of the headband, but you can still wear them in the rain. If the speakers get wet, they will start to sound funny. It would not damage them. Just take them out of the headband and hang them up to dry. They should work fine once dried. Its recommend dunking the speakers into buckets of water for long periods, but if they get a little wet, they will recover.
4. Wireless or regular headphones which ones are the better option for running?
Wireless seems the better option since it would not cause any obstacle while running and letting the user enjoy their run. Whereas if you used regular headphones with wires, it might irritate wire might get caught between hand movements while running.
5. Which features to look out for a while buying headphones for working out?
With all the advancements in technology, headphones are much more than what they are meant to be. Features like USB slot and heartbeat sensors make they super savvy. But few of the features that need to be present in any headphones are it being sweat-proof, wireless and noise cancellation feature.
4. What should be the average battery life?
Battery life generally differs from brand to brand. The average battery life of any wireless headphone should be at least 5-6 hours and 2-3 hours should be the time it needs to be charged.
Everyone we see has a pair of headphones clinging on to their ears. It has become a necessity for entertainment to hang out with us every time. With digital technology rising and hitting the peak, we need to make proper use of it.
Headphones for running is difficult to choose as it depends on a lot of things that shouldn’t come in your way during a workout. However, if you keep in mind the above criteria, shopping gets fun and interesting!
There are overpriced headphones and affordable ones. With a steady mind, you can find your perfect pair. For a high-quality design, the most promising brands such as TaoTronics, ALFO, can come into the picture. If you a looking for something below 1,000 rupees, brands like Phillips, BasX, Tantra Tantrum do justice. If the headphones are comfortable and affordable, it is THE ONE!