Noise canceling Headphones
Real-life can be so distracting, but there is no virtual life to withdraw into. Music is an escape for that we have different types of over-ear headphones and in-ear headphones but if you want to experience music without any disturbance get yourself noise-canceling headphones. Noise-canceling headphones make it easy to withdraw into isolation, even in the midst of people.
Your ears are obstructed from hearing what’s going on around you. This can be handy when the noise and chatter gets too loud at the office, or you just don’t want to hear the squeaky sounds from the car. Either in the office or on travel, noise-canceling headphones make life easier. On a journey, you could pass the time by listening to your favorite music.
Most of these headphones are fitted with batteries, and can also run when wired. It’s by no mistake that these gadgets are called “Noise-Cancelling Headphones,” they really do their jobs.
These awesome gadgets were first introduced by the company named “Bose,” and has since been replicated by various companies. To help you make the right investment, we have made a guide to help you choose the best noise-canceling headphones on amazon. So in this guide, we will go through detailed information on noise-canceling earphones, types, advantages, buying guides, frequently asked questions and the top 10 best noise-canceling headphones available in the market.
10 Best Noise-canceling Headphones
Great Quality Sound
Delivers Well Balanced and Detailed Sound
Enjoy Wireless Music
Advanced Noise Cancellation Technology
Super Light and Powerful
Long-lasting and Comfortable
Deep and Clear Sound
Ultimate Bass Experience
In-Depth Overview of the Noise Cancelling Headphones
For music lovers, normal headphones or earphones might not be enough to help them enjoy the sonorous music. When traveling, going on the street or in the classroom, it might be really difficult to cancel out the ambient sound and focus on the sole music you want to listen to. This is where headphones come into play. When traveling, you don’t have to listen to all the noise from the plane or train.
Advantages of Noise Canceling Headphones
- They can protect your ears from constant levels of noise, and they are pretty good at this. These headphones are very good at achieving noise attenuation. The reduction of noise can help the ear with canceling out all noises, not just the low-frequency ones with droning sounds.
- These noise-canceling headphones also block this external sound and replace with a louder sound.
- You can always control the volume of the music coming through the headphone, getting it to be more enjoyable and comfortable for you. They are quite handy when you are traveling, or you are in a busy environment, where you don’t want to be disturbed. When you are on a commuter train or airplane, and not in your private jet, you would really need the noise-canceling headphones if you want my mind to be serene.
- With the headphones, you can converse on the phone more easily; you can even move about the house while making calls with the wireless connection of the headphones.
- The noise-canceling headphone is a savior when it comes to helping the student concentrate on studies and whatever they are reading. It helps to cancel out noise from their environment, which in turn helps their mind to focus.
- It blocks out the external world and concentrates on what they need to learn. Some students might prefer to up the volume to the highest it can get, but that might not be necessary for every student. At any volume, the noise coming from the environment is substantially reduced.
Types of Headphones
There are different types of headphones, based on the way they function. There is the active noise canceling headphone and the passive noise-canceling headphone. The basic difference in these types of headphone is based on the mode with which they cancel out sounds.
- Passive noise-canceling headphones: These headphones are designed to prevent sound waves from getting through to the ear from the environment. This is achieved by the material used in making the headphone. This is a pretty impressive system of noise canceling.
- Active noise-canceling headphones: These headphones also block out noise as a result of the material they are made of, but they do it differently. These headphones produce their own sound wave, which is produced to mimic the disturbing ambient noise. The sound wave produced by the headphone is a mirror image of the disturbing sound wave. Hence, they are both canceled out.
Both of these types of headphones can carry out the passive reduction of noise since the material used in making them would naturally do that.
There are some types of passive headphones referred to as the circumoral headphones, as they feature some extra noise-filtering materials. These headphones are made of high-density foams, which gives them a bit more weight than normal headphones. However, to suffice for the extra weight, these headphones can reduce noise to about 15 to 20 decibels.
On travel, however, these passive headphones might not be sufficient in canceling out the sound. Planes and jets produce a noise that is about 75 decibels; in this case, active noise-canceling headphones would be the best. Passive noise-canceling headphones are limited in what they can do, but the active ones are just much more effective.
Active noise-canceling headphones typically erase sound waves from the outside. The waves from the two sources are of similar amplitude and frequency; this, therefore, results in what is called the “destructive interference” of waves.
For this effect to be successful, there are parts of the noise-canceling headphones required.
- Microphone: There is the presence of a microphone which is located in the ear cup. It has a function of listening for external sounds that cannot be blocked by the materials used in making the headphone
- Noise-canceling circuit: This is also located in the ear cup, which is a sensor to the input from the microphone. On receiving signals from the microphone, it creates a fingerprint for the noise. It notes the frequency and amplitude of the ambient incoming noise. On listening to this, it creates its own wave which is out of phase with the waves of the noise, by 180 degrees.
- Speaker: When a noise-canceling headphone is being used, there are two signals being sent into the speaker – the anti-wave as well as the desired wave. The desired wave turns into normal audio; the anti-wave goes on to cancel out the interfering wave.
- Battery: The battery is mainly for energy needed by the headphone system, which produces the anti-noise effect. This battery, however, can be recharged.
Buying Guide for Noise Canceling Headphones
There are so many noise cancellation Headphones out there, and there are some factors you need to consider when trying to get one for yourself. These headphones are not manufactured equally. When picking, you should consider the level of features, style, and the quality of the materials used. Below is an in-depth detail of what you should look out for.
How well does it fit?
Even if you are out to cancel out noise when listening to music, you still want to know how well the headphone would fit you. You should check for how well it rests around your head and stands firm.
Remember, you are going to be walking around or probably running to catch a train; you don’t want a headphone that would fall off just as you are getting aboard the train.
Noise cancellation makes use of energy generated by the battery in the headphone. Hence, how long your headphone last in canceling out sound is dependent on how good the battery is. Various headphones are adapted to last for various hours, some might be as low as 6 hours, while others can be as high as 40 hours.
You should, however, know that stronger batteries come with the very costly headphones. So, you need to consider how much battery you want; then you can budget for it.
What’s the technology, active or passive?
This is the very first question you have to answer before just any headphone. It is the most important feature of headphones. Passive tech makes use of materials that are built to absorb sound, such as the high-density foams. These materials reduce the amount of noise that enters into the ears of the user.
On the other hand, active noise cancellation goes beyond the physical material and design of the headphone. In an active system, there is the presence of extra components like the microphone, electronic circuit, internal speaker, and batteries. The function of the microphone is to listen for the noise in the environment, while the signal is processed by the electronic circuit. With these, an opposite signal is sent to the speaker, thereby reducing the net effect of which the unwanted noise would have in your ears.
When the headset is made with the active noise cancellation technology, you can always use it, even without the music. With this, the external noise would still be reduced drastically.
You need to be sure of the electronic circuit of the headphones before you get them off the shelf. This is really important as companies like Bose spend huge sum of money researching and developing their current technology.
Noise cancellation or noise isolations?
Not everyone is in for active noise cancellation. People tend to choose noise-isolating headphones due to two reasons.
Firstly, it is because the presence of an extra speaker that creates a negating sound wave in premium noise cancellation headphones can be a source of discomfort and pressure on the ear.
Secondly, some persons ears are just so sensitive that they can detect very faint sounds that escape through the headphones when the music is on a lower volume.
If you know that you are not in for these two factors, then it would be best if you simply go for a noise-isolating headphone. Don’t be confused; noise isolating headphones are basically the same as the passive noise-canceling headphones, as they are made of materials that block out sound with the use of the absorbing materials with which they have been made.
Wired or Wireless Headphones?
When you take a look at most traditional headphones, you will notice that they are fitted with wires with which they connect to your audio device. However, in recent years, there is the production of more devices that run with Bluetooth technology.
However, you should know that Bluetooth devices are way costlier than wired ones. Also, since it is not wired, there might be issues arising with the connectivity later on, especially if the audio device is not standard enough.
“Over-Ear” or “On-Ear” or “In-Ear”?
Forgetting about the technological aspect of the headphones, you also have to determine the position you want your headset to be, on your ears.
When it is on the ears, it means your ear is not completely cupped in the headset. The foam of the headset simply rests against the top of your ear. Using this for a long period of time might cause you to have sore ears.
When it is over the ears, this is simply the best performance you can get, but you have to pay more. This does not press against your ear, leaving you as comfortable as you can get, even when worn for long hours. You can use them for studies, travel, or your work out sessions.
When in-ear, this is the most compact of the types, but the sound might not be as grand as the others. Also, the earbuds can be very harsh on your earholes; you should do well to consider the shape of the earphones, and how it would fit into your ear.
1. Audio technical ATH-M50XBT Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones – Our Pick
Don’t be fooled by the name; this headphone is not meant for just sound engineers, you would call yourself blessed when you have it booming music into your ears. With this headphone, you get up to 40 hours of continuous use once it is fully charged.
It features a collapse design that makes it easy for you to carry anywhere. It has an exceptional clarity throughout an extended frequency range, and has a deep, accurate bass response. You can easily access voice assistant by the ergonomic touch controls. The earcup is efficiently designed to carry the control buttons which you can always use for calls, music playbacks and volume adjustments.
It is of an over the ear design, that allows for excellent sound isolation irrespective of the loud environment. It is a professional-grade earpad and headband material that will assure you of long-lasting durability and comfort. This is all you would ever need in a headphone
- It is made to be wireless
- The touch controls provide convenient access to voice assist
- The mic and button controls are built into the ear cup for easy handling.
- It has a proprietary 45mm large-aperture driver which delivers exceptional clarity throughout an extended frequency range, with deep accurate bass response.
- It comes with a 30cm (1.0’) USB charging cable and carrying pouch.
- It can survive a fall from about 6 ft
- They make the vocal quality of music sound great
- They are compatible with both android and Apple devices
- It is of high quality
- Voice assistant could have been more responsive
2. Audio-Technical ATH-M20x Over-Ear Professional Studio Monitor Headphones – Great Quality Sound
Foamed all around, this is your perfect headphone which offers a great deal of comfort. The Audio-Technica ATH-M20X Over-Ear – Studio monitor Headphones offers a great immersive high-quality sound.
It also has a powerful speaker driver that delivers the right balance of booming bass, with crisp highs, and natural mid-tones for your music. It has a sturdy built and which makes it just the right choice for rough days. The headphone flaunts trendy looks and comes with soft ear pad cushions that offers a comfortable listening experience even for extended hours.
This headphone features a circumaural design which offer an amazing sound isolation in very loud environments. The headphones are designed with copper-clad aluminum wire coils meant to improve the sound quality and the sensitivity of the speakers. It is a pro-grade gadget, which makes it very durable for use.
- It comes with 40mm neodymium drivers and rare earth magnets.
- It comes with a 3m straight single side cable which makes it easy for studio tracking or field recording.
- It is tuned for enhanced low-frequency performance
- It produces an amazing sound
- It has a more realistic sound production
- After using for a few hours, you may start sweating because of no air flow
3. Sennheiser HD 4.50 SE BT NC Bluetooth Wireless Noise Cancellation Headphones – Delivers Well Balanced and Detailed Sound
This is a total revolution for the audio world, with its simple to operate wireless connection. The HD 4.50SE gives you all you want from a headphone, a perfect dose of it. It is made specially for the music aficionados who have an active lifestyle. If you are one of them, this is all you can wish for. No kidding.
The proprietary driver that are used in the HD 4.50SE is of a special edition and delivers powerful, detailed and well-balanced sound with a satisfying dynamic bass. This headphone is heaven when you are listening to music. Irrespective of the genre of music you are listening to, it would be pure joy.
You don’t have to start connecting wires before you make use of this masterpiece, the headphone is equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 with an aptX codex compatibility. This headphone does so well to virtually eliminate all sound wave that might serve as noise to your ears. Either you are on a plane or a locomotive train, you can be assured of a sound rest. You only get to focus on the music and not the noise.
You don’t have to struggle with connecting the Bluetooth to your device, at one tap, you are all good and connected. This is made possible with the presence of the near field communication. The controls are simply intuitive. You can do them as simply as you can breathe in air. With the Senssheiser HD 4.5SE, you get to enjoy 19 hours of unlimited noise cancellation, and when the noise guard is switched off, you can get up to 25 hours listening time. Isn’t that just amazing?
- It features the Bluetooth 4.0 version
- It comes with a noise guard active noise cancellation technology which reduces ambient noise.
- The controls are intuitively mounted on the ear cups
- Features a battery
- The battery can last up to 19 hours when the noise guard is on.
- The noise cancellation would work for wired cancellation, if charged
- You can always talk over the phone when it is in use.
- It does not come with a wire but you can surely use a wire.
4. Bose Quiet Comfort 35 II Wireless Headphone – Enjoy Wireless Music
Quiet comfort 35 wireless headphones II are engineered with world-class noise cancellation and now they’re even better. With this Bose noise cancelling earphones wireless you can control music, send and receive texts, and get answers using just your voice. Just press and hold the action button, and start talking.
With QC 35 headphones II, you can be free from wires by connecting easily to your devices with Bluetooth and NFC pairing and voice prompts walk you through the connection. The multi-function button continues to offer access to your phone’s default virtual assistant, like Siri. Volume-optimized EQ gives you balanced audio performance at any volume, while a noise-rejecting dual-microphone system provides clearer calls, even in noisy environments.
They feature up to 20 hours of wireless listening per charge and are designed with premium materials that make them lightweight and comfortable for all-day wear and the Bose Connect app helps you set your preferred level of noise cancellation, unlock more features and access future updates. Get caught with a low battery? The included cable lets you plug in and keep the music playing.
- It is built to offer an immersive original bass experience
- It features a patented crusher technology that features powerful bass drivers in each ear cup.
- It features an amazing voice control
- It has 20 hours of wireless listening per charge
- It features a volume-optimized EQ
- Excellent noise cancellation
- Bluetooth coverage could have been better
5. Sony WH – 1000XM3 Wireless Industry Leading Noise Cancellation Headphones with Alexa – Advanced Noise Cancellation Technology
Made for the complete, quality audio experience, this headphone is the bomb. It offers an impressive sound quality, comfort, sleekness, and amazingly lightweight. It also features a stellar battery and the connectivity is just rock solid. This is the new definition of noise-free music.
This surely takes the crown for being a combination of excellent sound quality and active noise cancellation. It fits to your head like a dream, and provides noise cancellation like no other. This is just the headphone that your playlist deserves.
This is the next level of silence, cutting you from the outside in such a way that no headphone has ever done to you. With this headphone equipped with the Alexa technology, you would get to experience just how smart headphones can be with the advanced noise-cancelling technology. This would be achieved with the Adaptive Sound Control, and also some smart features which include Quick Attention, Voice Assistant compatibility and touch control.
This is the dream when you are looking to cut yourself from the outside world. It features the close-fitting ear pads and HD Noise-cancelling Processor QN1.
The HD Noise cancelling processor QN1, offers an enhanced noise cancelling power. The dedicated NC processor also ensures that the production of your music is never compromised due to processor performance.
- It features a QN1 HD Processor
- It has a quick attention mode that allows for effortless conversations without taking your headphones off
- It features a quick charge technology. If charged for just 10 minutes, it can last up to 5 hours.
- The battery has an extensive life of 30 hours.
- It is compatible with Alexa and Google assistant devices
- It features a WH-1000XM3 noise-canceling technology
- It can be used as a wired headphones for gaming
- It has an impressive sound quality
- The wireless feature might not be great with gaming.
6. Sennheiser PXC550 Wireless Headphones– Super Light and Powerful
They are engineered to make sound better, and not just that, they are amazingly comfortable, and easier to carry around. You would never get the perfect combination of all these in one headset. Once you have them on, you are in a whole new world.
Music sounds deeper, better, balanced and more powerful. It cuts you completely out of the noise in your environment, hence, you get to hear every note as it is. This is your best companion when traveling by air, making the flight as enjoyable as possible.
With the massive battery life, you can travel from London to Hong Kong and back, on a single charge. Irrespective of how noisy the world is, once you have this headset on, it is just you and your music. It’s all peaceful and serene.
The headphone features an inline mic/remote with which you can easily control your music. It features a Bluetooth 4.2 that affords it a seamless connectivity to your mobile device. You can talk on your phone hands free, and you can control all functions easily.
These headphones are lightweight, with the headband as soft as a pillow, so also is the ear cushions. The ear cups can also rotate for a fine-tuned fit. No matter what part of the plane you are seated, it is a perfect reducer of noise. It’s all about you and the sound that matters to you at the moment, the music or the video. This headphone simply brings out all the elements in your music, even those you would never have noticed.
- It features a cutting-edge noise reduction technology that makes it suitable for whatever intensity of noise you might be exposed to
- Made of super light material
- Comes in just Black color
- It is superlight and can easily be carried around
- It feels soft around the ear and head
- It can be put on for hours and no stress on your head or jaw
- Many users have appreciated its superior quality sound output
- The battery is inbuilt and cannot be easily replaced.
7. JBL Tune 600 BTNC On-Ear Wireless Bluetooth Noise canceling Headphones – Long lasting and Comfortable
This is the perfect combination of functionality and aesthetics. It is a flat-folding lightweight and compact solution for everyday use. The JBL TUNE600BTNC feature 32mm JBL drivers that helps deliver JBL Pure Bass sound. Sound that can be enjoyed without unnecessary noise for more than 12 hours wirelessly and can be fully recharged in only 2 hours.
Thanks to the additional detachable cable, music can be enjoyed endlessly in wired mode, with or without Active Noise-Cancelling. Made with durable materials and designed in four fresh colors, the JBL TUNE600BTNC allow you to connect to your world quickly thanks to buttons on the ear cups that allow for easy hands-free management of calls and music.
- It features a Bluetooth connection
- If is made to be lightweight and of a foldable design
- Affordable price range for this quality is amazing
- It offers comfort to your ears, completely.
- It covers your whole ears.
- It last long
- Noise cancellation function could have been better but a great buy for the reasonable price tag
8. Freezer S930 Bluetooth 4.1 Extra Bass Noise cancelling FM/Memory card Support Wireless Headphone with Mic – Smart Headphone
This headphone comes with the latest Bluetooth version – 4.1, and it also has an FM Radio support. It also has the memory card support. This headphone is equipped with the noise cancellation materials that would afford you relative serene environment when worn.
It is made from high quality ABS Material, and has an impedance of 32 ohms. It is made to be stylish and you can collapse it when not in use. On the ear cups, it features the volume control, and buttons for controlling the receiving of calls.
On one charge, you get to enjoy up to 6 hours of talk time, and when on standby, it can be up to 200 hours. All the time you need to plug it in to full charge is 2 hours.
- It features buttons to make calls and control the volume of audio
- It features a jack for memory card (up to 32gb), as well as mic and 3.5mm Aux functions
- You can easily control the volume to preferred levels as much as you want
- It can work with a wide range of android devices
- Quality of the headphones could have been better
- It has a very low battery time
9. iGRiD-HUSH Bluetooth headphones – Deep and Clear Sound
This headphone is crafted to deliver an impressive and immersive music listening experience, you feel right in the music. Either you are running out to work, or you are simple at work trying to beat the noise in the office, this headphone can really come handy.
It is designed to flow seamlessly with any activity you might be involved in, during the course of the day. It makes use of an impressive 4.1 version of the Bluetooth and delivers sound that is so crystal clear. The ear cups are so amazingly comfortable when in use, and fits well, while offering its noise isolating property.
The headphones feature a rotatable design that allows the user to adjust the ear pads according to their preference by rotating them. The headphones come with a volume and next button, which makes it easy for the user to change the volume or the audio accordingly
- It features an Active Noise Cancelling Technology
- It features a 90dB which gives it a deep and powerful sound
- It features the buttons on the ear cups to give an intuitive control
- It delivers everything just as it is in the description
- Work for IP calls
- The sound is amazing
- The noise canceling is not as effective as the pricier ones
10. AT&T Over-ear Stereo Noise cancelling Bluetooth Headphones with Built in Mic – Ultimate Bass Experience
With the AT&T over-ear Stereo Bluetooth, it’s time to discover thee music lover inside of you. It features a built-in mic that gives the premium hands-free experience.
You can always stream audio from any audio device with this headphone. It features a Bluetooth 3.0 version which aids its wireless connection, and when it is out of power, it can always be used with the wire.
- It features a 3.0 Bluetooth version connection
- It is made with a metal alloy housing with a powerful 40mm neodymium driver
- It comes with a built-in mic
- It delivers an amazing bass experience that will blow you away.
- It delivers a significant noise reduction wherever you are.
- Light in weight and has a very soft ear pads
- Adjustable, so you can set a comfortable position
- It features an obsolete version of the Bluetooth.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can noise cancelling be used without playing music?
There are different system and frameworks on which different headphones function. Some models of the headset would function passively and allow you to use the noise cancelling feature, even when you are not connected or listening to any music.
2. Are all effective noise-cancelling headphones expensive?
The really popular noise cancelling headphones from the likes of Bose are on the expensive side, there are some really effective ones that are relatively affordable. The headphones that have been listed in the lower price range of this guide are quite effective in cancelling out noise.
However, the effectiveness from them cannot be compared to that gotten from the expensive ones. There is a difference in the quality of materials used.
3. Can the battery of the noise cancelling headphones be removed?
It is not advisable to remove the battery of these headphones as it might lead to tampering with the panel. However, since they can be screwed into place, they can always be screwed out. Some brands make it easy for the batteries to be replaced, however some do not. If there is an opening for the battery to be replaced, you are all good, but if not, it is advisable you don’t try it. If at all you would need to replace the battery in your headphone, getting a professional to do it or contacting support wouldn’t be a bad idea.
The noise is as busy and noisy as it can get. In thinking creatively and cognitively, there are frequent needs to escape into a silent world of your own, to empty your mind. Rather than escaping into the woods, it is possible to be in the midst of people and be in a world of your own. This is where the headphones come in. They are the perfect escape from reality and offer so much more than the silence, the music quality is way out of this world. They offer great musical experience, better than that offered by the traditional earpieces.
So to make the search easy for you, we have collected top 10 best noise cancelling headphones and from these, our top top noise cancelling earphones are Audio-Technica ATH-M50XBT Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-M20x Over-Ear Professional Studio Monitor Headphones and Sennheiser HD 4.50 SE BT NC Bluetooth Wireless Noise Cancellation Headphone. Great sound quality, great hold on ears and amazing battery life makes these stand-out from the rest.