8 Best Cameras
The camera is a valuable possession for everyone who loves photography. It captures images and moments in the way that a photographer sees it. The camera is an expensive investment and needs to be protected with the help of a camera bag.
There are different types of cameras available in the market today including, 4 K camera, DSLR, Point and Shoot, etc. It is important to choose a camera based on the fact that if you are a beginner or professional. That being said, purchasing a suitable camera may be a tedious task.
This article provides a comprehensive buyer’s guide explaining all the essential factors to be considered before making a purchase. This is followed by a detailed review of the top 8 cameras online. We have also provided an FAQ section towards the end of the article for more of your understanding.
Top 8 Best Cameras
Best Point and Shoot Camera
Best Action Camera
Best Mirrorless Camera
Wide Angle Display Lens
Best Instant Camera
Types of Cameras
DSLR camera stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera. This the most popular type of camera available in the markets. Professionals most commonly use it. The camera uses the combination of a digital imaging sensor and a single-lens reflex camera.
Nikon and Canon are the two most popular brands that deal with the manufacture of DSLR cameras. The other brands offering DSLR cameras are Fuji, Sigma, and Pentax. You can easily get a full-frame and a half-frame DSLR camera.
These cameras also come with lenses. The lenses are changed and adjusted according to the type of photography. Most DSLR cameras are also capable of capturing 4 K videos.
Mirrorless cameras are DSLR cameras, without the optical viewfinder. The absence of the viewfinder reduces the weight of the camera. Hence, a mirrorless camera is light-weight, easy to handle, and carry around.
They come with detachable lenses. However, since they are newer models, the number of lenses available are less. You can also attach the lenses of a DSLR camera to the mirrorless camera. Also, the images captured are in a RAW format similar to a DSLR.
Point and shoot cameras can be used by a beginner or anyone who just wants to capture shots. These cameras are compact and are great for vacations, travel, and documentation purposes.
Moreover, the light-weight design enables you to carry it around with you in a bag easily. This camera type features a variable focal length and a fixed lens. Also, the images obtained are in JPEG format.
Instant cameras allow you to capture the highest quality images and obtain their print instantly. The attractive yet compact design enables you to carry it around for short trekking or hiking trips. You can document your entire travel experience by pasting the pictures on a journal. Also, you can use it for capturing images for project work.
Instant cameras have started gaining immense popularity among the youngsters. The latest technology has provided a Bluetooth integration feature. The feature enables you to print images from social media.
Action cameras or GoPros are like any other camera. However, they come with rugged features. It can be mounted on a helmet or a bicycle for capturing your adventurous experiences. This light-weight and a compact camera can also capture images underwater.
It offers videos in slow motion due to its time-lapse feature. The camera is mainly used for sports and adventures as it ensures POV videography. Hence, you can easily record stunts by mounting it on a skateboard or car. There are three different types of action cameras, namely- Cylindrical or bullet cameras, rectangular action cameras, and mini-action cameras.
A bridge camera is a bridge between a DSLR and a point and shoot camera. It has a fixed lens that covers the telephoto focal range. This camera is easier to carry around than a DSLR camera. Hence, it is great for sports and wildlife photography.
Bridge cameras are also budget-friendly when compared to the other types. Like DSLRs and mirrorless cameras they too provide images in RAW format.
360-degree cameras work using multiple lenses to provide a panoramic view of the visual field. They can capture high-quality images and videos from every angle. In simple words, you get a 360-degree image with the help of this camera.
They are available in two types, i.e. Monoscopic and Stereoscopic. The monoscopic camera uses two or more cameras to cover the entire field. Hence, it has a higher resolution than a stereoscopic camera as it uses two side-by-side videos that split the screen resolution.
360-degree cameras are gaining immense popularity these days. The latest smartphone models also allow you to capture 360-degree images using their panorama feature.
This is the oldest type of camera which was used during the initial days of photography. Film cameras would use film for recording images. The film camera has now been replaced by the latest camera models that require memory cards and camera sensors. These types of cameras have stopped being manufactured due to their lack of demand.
Type and Purpose
It is essential to know the types and purpose of the camera before you make a selection. A professional photographer could opt for a DSLR camera. The mirrorless and point and shoot camera will be suitable for a beginner.
On the other hand, if you wish to obtain the instant print of your high-quality shots, go for the instant camera. A 360 camera will allow you to take a 360-degree wide-angle image. Hence, knowledge about the types of cameras before you make a choice.
Photography involves a lot of travel. Ensure that the camera has a compact and portable design so that you can easily carry it around with you. You can carry a digital camera or an instant camera because of their size. Also, you must have a good camera bag and a tripod or monopod while traveling.
The camera should have a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It should also be easy to remove. The battery life of the camera has to be good. Hence, go for a camera that has a battery life of more than 2 hours.
Also, the camera with a high battery life will be suitable for taking it to the trips. You won’t have the constant fear of running out of charge. However, you should also carry a power bank and charger with you just in case.
The camera you decide on purchasing should have a light-weight and compact design. A heavy and bulky camera will be inconvenient to carry around. Hence, check the weight and size of the camera. It should also have a rugged, waterproof design so that it is more durable.
The lens sensor and resolution of the camera should be considered before making a purchase. It should have a video resolution of 1080 p. A higher resolution camera of 24 megapixels will enable you to capture clear and sharp pictures with enhanced details.
The camera should have a wireless Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity. These features enable you to establish a wireless connection between the camera and your smartphone, laptop, or tablet wireless. Ensure that the connection is strong so that you can transfer images quickly as well as seamlessly.
The camera should come with two or more lenses that can meet your requirements. You should be able to capture both close up and distance shots. The cost of replacement of the lens should also be taken into consideration. A professional photographer will need different lenses according to specific shots and conditions.
Choose a camera that is under your budget. There are several budget DSLR cameras that you could go for. Check the price of the camera before making a decision.
1. Canon EOS 1500D 24.1 Digital SLR Camera – Our Choice
The Canon EOS 1500D provides every photographer and beginners, the ultimate DSLR shooting experience. It comes with a 24.1-megapixel APS-CMOS sensor and an optical viewfinder that enables you to capture exceptional quality images and videos. The camera is easy to hold with a firm grip while the accurate AF allows you to capture sharp images. It also supports WiFi and NBS connectivity for the seamless, fast transfer of media files.
- Type: Digital SLR.
- Weight of camera: 475 grams.
- It has a CMOS sensor type a DIGIC 4+ image processor.
- Resolution: 24.1 megapixels.
- Video resolution: Full HD 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- Viewfinder type: eye-level penta-mirror.
- Comes with an optical image stabilization feature.
- It has a 3 inch LCD screen.
- ISO range: 100-6400 ( expandable to 12800).
- It has a digital storage capacity of 64 GB.
- Supports WiFi and NBC connectivity.
- Has a 9-point accurate AF with one center cross-type AF point.
- Two years warranty.
- Image processor provides high-quality images with color gradations.
- It can capture low-light shots with minimum noise and at a high ISO speed.
- Can easily be paired with smartphones, printers, and other devices for seamless wireless transfer of files.
- The ‘shoot by ambiance’ mode allows you to capture images with mood.
- Changing the focus point is not easy.
- Battery life could be better
2. Nikon D3500 W/AF-P DX Nikkor 16GB Camera – Best DSLR
The Nikon D3500 is the best buy for those you love to travel and photography. It is designed to be compact and light-weight, making it easy to carry around. The durability of the DSLR makes it capable of withstanding extreme conditions. It is easy to use and capture wide-angle or close-up shots.
The frame comes with 11 autofocus points spread across so that you can capture continuous shots without losing focus. It also comes with two different lenses to cover all the angles. The images produced are sharp, clear with rich details.
- Type: Digital SLR.
- Weight of the camera: 390 grams.
- Resolution: 24.2 megapixels.
- Video capture resolution: Full HD 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- ISO range: 100-25600.
- Viewfinder type: optical.
- It comes with an APS-C CMOS sensor type.
- Features a 3 inch LCD screen.
- Includes two lenses: AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens (suitable for portraits, videos, landscapes, etc.) and the versatile telephoto AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED zoom lens (suitable for concerts, sports, nature).
- Supports WiFi, NFC, and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Comes with a 512 GB memory card and a carry case.
- Continuous shooting speed: 5 frames per second.
- 2-year warranty.
- Light-weight, durable, compact design and the two travel lenses make it suitable for travel.
- Carefully placed buttons and dial makes it comfortable and easy to use.
- The large image sensor ensures sharper, clearer, and detailed images.
- Can capture rich and vibrant images irrespective of the lighting condition.
- Ensures fast and accurate focusing for continuous shots.
- There were issues with the battery and charger.
- The accessories were not provided.
3. Sony DSC W830 20.1 MP Point and Shoot Camera – Best Point and Shoot Camera
The Sony DSC W830 Cyber-Shot is a light-weight point and shoot with a 2.7 gram LCD. The in-built stabilization feature enables you to take fast-moving shots without any distortion.
It comes with an advanced flash that ensures clarity of image even in low-light areas. You can also capture the entire visual field with its 360-degree mode.
- Type: Point and Shoot camera.
- Weight: 118 grams.
- Resolution: 20.1 Megapixels.
- Video capture resolution: HD 1280 x 720 pixels.
- It has a screen size of 2.7 grams.
- ISO range: 80-3200.
- Optical zoom: 8 x and digital zoom: 32 x.
- Viewfinder type: digital.
- Comes with a built-in stabilization feature.
- You can capture the entire visual field using the standard, wide, or 360-degree mode.
- Two years warranty.
- The advanced flash ensures bright and clear images in low-light areas.
- Easy to transfer videos, images and more to a computer for viewing, editing, etc.
- Allows you to take close-up shots at a distance of 2 inches and telephoto shots at a distance of 22 inches.
- You can change the look of your appearance by using the beauty effect mode.
- Easy to use.
- The display could be better.
4. GoPro Hero7 CHDHX-701-RW Camera – Best Action Camera
The GoPro Hero7 CHDHX-701-RW Camera is a small and lightweight action camera with a rugged and waterproof design. It features a hyper smooth stabilization feature that allows you to capture fast-moving shots. It comes with a voice control feature that helps in the easy operation of the camera.
- Type: Action or GoPro Camera.
- Weight: 118 grams
- It has a screen size of 1.95 inches.
- Maximum image resolution: 12 MP.
- Records videos in 4 K resolution.
- Comes with a removable 1220 mAh lithium-ion rechargeable battery.
- Features hyper smooth video stabilization.
- It has a rugged and waterproof design (down to 33 feet).
- Comes with TimeWarp video and live streaming features.
- Supports wireless Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity.
- Maximum shutter speed: 30 seconds.
- Digital storage capacity: 256 GB.
- It enables you to capture images in portrait mode for Instagram and Snapchat.
- The Burst mode ensures 15 high-quality images in one second.
- The voice control feature allows you to operate the camera hands-free.
- Battery drains very fast.
- It heats up after using it for some time.
5. Fujifilm X Series X-T100 24.2MP Mirrorless Camera – Best Mirrorless Camera
This is one of the most stylish and attractive mirrorless cameras on the list. It is champagne gold in color with a maximum resolution of 24.2 Megapixels. The camera features a powerful battery backup of 430 frames per charge. It is capable of establishing a Bluetooth connection for seamless transfer of files.
- Type: Mirrorless Camera
- Weight: 1.37 kg.
- Maximum resolution: 24.2 MP.
- It has a digital LCD with a screen size of 3 inches.
- Optical zoom: 3 x.
- Lenses: focal length from 15 mm to 1200 mm.
- Connectivity: Bluetooth.
- It has a digital viewfinder.
- Requires lithium-ion batteries with an energy content of 8.7 Watt-Hours.
- Features multiple automatic functions including SR+ auto mode and a super-fast auto-focus.
- It has a powerful battery that provides 430 frames on a single charge.
- The Bluetooth low energy technology ensures a quick and seamless transfer of images.
- Comes with image stabilization feature.
- It does not come with a battery charger.
6. SJCam SJ4000 12MP Action Camera – Wide Angle Display Lens
The SJCam SJ4000 12 MP action camera can capture fascinating, high-quality images with vivid colors. It can also take exciting and sharp 1080 p videos. This camera has a hard-shell durable and waterproof case for protection. You can use it for water sports and other adventurous activities.
- Type: Action Camera.
- Weight: 558 grams.
- Screen size: 2 inches.
- 12 MP sensor.
- Full HD resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- Supports Micro SD memory card up to 32 GB.
- Has a wide-angle display lens with a focal length of 2.99 mm.
- Supports WiFi connectivity for easy transfer of files.
- Can be charged by connecting it to the computer using a USB cable.
- Comes with a sleek, sturdy, and waterproof case.
- The hard-shell durable and weather-resistant case protects the camera.
- Allows you to film water sports easily.
- You can catch up to 170 degrees using the wide-angle display lens of this camera.
- The battery backup is poor.
- Build quality could be better.
7. Fujifilm Instax Square SQ6 Instant Camera – Best Instant Camera
The Fujifilm Instax Square SQ6 Instant Camera captures images in 1:1 square format. It can be used for capturing both close-up and distance shots because of the macro and landscape mode, respectively. The stylish design of the camera makes it stand out. It also comes with three color filters that can be attached to the lens.
- Type: Instant Camera.
- Weight: 227 grams.
- Optical zoom: 6 x.
- Requires 2 CR2 batteries.
- Film size: 72 mm x 86 mm and image size: 62 mm x 62 mm.
- Comes with three color filters that can be attached to the lens: orange, purple, and green.
- Captures images in 1:1 square format.
- The macro mode can be used to capture close-range shots (30-50 cm).
- The landscape mode can capture shots from a distance (2 m- ?).
- Features a selfie mode and a selfie mirror.
- One year warranty.
- Has a stylish design and is available in three different colors.
- The automatic exposure control helps in capturing photos in the dark.
- You can capture artistic shots by having two images in the same print, using the double exposure mode.
- Allows you to control the brightness of the picture.
- The replacement cartridges are a bit expensive.
8. Canon PowerShot SX430B 20MP Digital Camera – Travel-Friendly Camera
The Canon PowerShot SX430B is a 20 megapixels travel-friendly digital camera. It is capable of capturing impressive close-up shots with its 45 x optical zoom. Moreover, it is easy to use and record videos. The ergonomic and firm grip ensures stability while capturing images.
- Type: Digital Camera.
- Weight of camera: 830 grams.
- It is a 20-megapixel camera with 45 x optical zoom.
- Comes with built-in WiFi and NFC.
- Video capture resolution: Full HD 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- Two years warranty.
- Comes with a 16 GB memory card and a camera case.
- Enables you to capture impressive close-up shots.
- Ensures an ergonomic grip for easy handling and stable images.
- Allows you to share and transfer images on social media.
- The low-light images are not up to the mark.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best DSLR camera for beginners?
The best DSLR cameras for beginners are as follows:
- Nikon D3500
- Canon EOS 1300D Digital SLR Camera
2. What is the purpose of a camera?
The camera is an optical device used for capturing videos and images. It allows you to see the visual according to the eyes of the photographer. It also manages to capture precious moments and memories for you to re-live.
3. Who discovered the camera?
The first camera was designed by Johann Zahn in the year, 1685. However, the first photo was clicked in 1814 by Joseph Nicephore Niepce.
4. Are film cameras obsolete?
Film cameras were used in the past as a way of capturing images. They used film for the purpose. However, nowadays, the latest camera models have replaced film with memory cards and image sensors. As a result, film cameras have turned obsolete due to their lack of demand.
We conclude this article with the hope that you find a suitable camera for yourself. The comprehensive buyer’s guide explains all the essential factors which you should consider before making a purchase. We have also reviewed the top 8 camera available on amazon. Go through the types of cameras as well.