Best Camera Bags for Photographers
Photography is the beautiful art of creation that has gained immense popularity in recent times. Cameras today are not only used just as a hobby, but they have also established a significant position in the professional front. The growing demand for cameras has also benefited the markets for electronic accessories like – the Camera Bag.
There are many types of camera bags available in the market today under brands like Peak Design, Lowepro, Think Tank, etc. However, it is essential to choose the best camera bag that will be able to accommodate your type of camera, lens and lens essential accessories. Purchasing the right camera bag having the right storage space and is comfortable to carry around is a task in itself.
In this article, we explain the actual benefits of a camera bag along with its types. We also provide a comprehensive buying guide and a detailed review of our top nine recommendations to help you purchase the most suitable camera bag for photography.
Top 9 Camera Bags
Comfortable and convenient to travel
The Multipurpose Backpack
Quality on a Budget
The Stylish Sling Camera Bag
The easy to Access Camera Bag
The Best Rolling Case Camera Bag
The Perfect Vintage Camera Bag
The Best Camera Pouch
What is a Camera Bag?
A camera is a spectacular gadget gifted to us by technology. Its ability to seize beautiful moments is undoubtedly remarkable, making it one of the most popular gadgets today. Almost every individual has a camera today!
Photographers invest in the cameras and equipment available in the markets. Hence, they need to protect this investment. This is where camera bags come in! Apart from the camera and equipment, a camera bag is an essential accessory required by a photographer.
Camera bags are made of strong, durable materials of nylon, polyester, or leather, which enables it to protect and carry the camera with ease. All of them are designed to resist any weather conditions so that the camera is protected from damage.
A photographer or a photojournalist is a traveler who travels to different locations to get the perfect click. It is not possible to carry your camera, lenses, and other gear in hand. That is where this bag comes in handy. It is the perfect travel bag for a photographer.
Every camera bag is designed to have compartments and pockets to store your gadget and equipment. This makes it convenient to find things when needed. The padding in the bag and the straps are designed to carry heavy gear comfortably. Some of them also come with extra storage space allowing you to carry your laptop or tablet.
The camera bag has various options for you to choose from. It adds to the style and comfort of a photographer. So, photographers buy your perfect camera bag now!
Types of Camera Bags
Camera pouches are designed for small body cameras. They have enough room for just one camera along with one or two small items like SD cards and a battery. They are compact, durable, and can protect your camera from scratches while taking shock and vibrations.
It is very convenient to carry these pouches for any outing. The pouch comes with an adjustable strap which enables you to carry it in the way you find most comfortable or it can be attached to the loop of your belt.
Holster cases are very similar to pouches. However, they offer more storage space than a pouch. Holster cases are designed especially for the longer zoom lenses. They are perfect for accommodating DSLR cameras like the Nikon EOS 100 D.
They provide enough storage capacity for a traveler who would want to carry a camera, lens, and a few accessories. Hence, it is a good DSLR camera bag which also provides waterproof protection for keeping your product safe.
Backpacks are multipurpose bags, which is one of the best types of camera bags. These bags come with ample storage space which can accommodate up to 2-3 cameras, 4-5 lenses along with a laptop or tablet. They come with adjustable compartments so that all the items can fit perfectly while the extra pockets can store other accessories like chargers, cables, and batteries.
The backpack provides comfortable long-distance traveling for all the travelers due to its padding. Some of them are also able to carry a tripod. They are convenient as they can also be used as a regular backpack by removing the grids.
The most popular and traditional camera bags are shoulder bags, also referred to as messenger bags. These bags come in various sizes and are designed to meet the specific requirements of a photographer. They usually come with a top-loading feature with the capacity to hold an SLR along with the extra lenses and its other camera accessories. These bags are carried over the shoulder or by the hand strap.
These bags come with high durability and quality, making it a bit more expensive than other bags. They are ideal for every photographer. However, it might cause damage to a person due to carrying all the weight on one shoulder.
Waist belts are the most compact and easy to use camera bags for DSLR and mirrorless cameras. They are also called belt packs, fanny packs, or hip packs. They are worn in the form of a belt around your waist. Waist belt camera bags can help you move around freely and enjoy your photography experience to the fullest.
These crossbody camera bags are the perfect lightweight and stylish bags which can hold a DSLR along with two to three lenses easily. They provide easy access to your gear like a shoulder bag along with great storage capacity. The primary strap is worn across the body.
You can take out your camera for a shot without having to take off the bag. It can store a laptop and tablet along with accessories like batteries and cables.
Rolling cases, also known as travel cases, are the perfect portable camera bags. They have a huge storage capacity along with extra protection and security for your expensive gear. Rolling cases are the perfect travel partners to carry while traveling by air.
The wheels on this bag allow comfortable and easy pushing and rolling. Hence, the weight of the heavy equipment is not felt by the traveler preventing tiredness and fatigue.
Camera Bag Buyer’s Guide
A photographer needs to choose a camera bag which is ideal. The wide range of bags in the market makes it difficult for the photographer to choose the right and suitable camera bag. Here we list and explain the essential things to consider while buying the best camera bag.
The camera bag will be used for carrying heavy equipment and gear. Hence, you wouldn’t want to add on the extra weight of the bag to your shoulders.
For this reason, ensure that the bag you go for is light-weight so that you are comfortable during the journey. A light-weight camera bag with padded shoulder straps will prevent you from having back and shoulder aches.
Type of Camera
The first thing to consider before purchasing an ideal camera bag is the type of camera you will carry. There are a wide variety of camera bags available in the market. If you have a small camera like a point and shoot camera, the camera pouch would be a suitable camera bag which also allows you to store an extra SD card or battery.
On the other hand, for larger cameras like a digital SLR, you have options like camera backpacks, shoulder bags, or sling bags to choose from. For cameras with a long lens, holster cases are the most preferred camera bags. Thus, it is important to make your purchase according to the type of camera you have.
Size and Storage Space
The second factor in your checklist should be the size and storage space of the bag. It is important to have a bag which has the capacity to store your gear and the accessories which you need to carry. The size of the bag should be in accordance with your camera lenses. Look for a bag which can easily store your laptop and tablet.
It is better to look for additional space for holding your accessories. Inside pockets for holding smaller items like chargers and batteries are always an added advantage. A good storage capacity enables you to use the camera bag as the perfect travel bag enabling you to store all your essentials in one place.
Adjustable Compartments and Ease of Access
The camera bag is required to have specific compartments for every item present in your bag. The main compartment should be able to hold your camera in place. On the other hand, the compartments should be adjustable so that your accessories fit perfectly in their desired spaces.
The adjustable compartments keep everything organized and in one place. So now, you don’t miss out on taking the perfect shot by wasting time on finding the equipment you need at that moment. Moreover, these adjustable compartments can be removed to use the camera bag as a normal bag.
The main function of the camera bag is to protect your expensive cameras and accessories from damage. Hence, it is essential for the bag to be able to offer resistance against rain, dust, and storm. You will find many options for waterproof camera bags in the market.
Material and durability
The next essential factor required for purchasing a camera bag is the material and durability of the bag. Camera bags protect the camera from damages. Hence, the material of the bag should be of good quality so that it is durable enough to withstand any wear and tear which might arise over time. This increases the longevity of the bag.
The interior of the bag should be made of soft fiber to prevent scratches on the lenses. Extra padding in the interior absorbs shocks and vibrations which offer better protection to your gear.
Camera bags are designed with straps which can be worn on both the shoulders or across your body. Buy an adjustable camera bag so that you don’t feel the burden of carrying a heavy load.
You would want to move around comfortably to capture those beautiful moments. Hence, choose a bag that has padded adjustable straps for extra comfort.
Along with your camera, monopod, and lens, it is essential to have extra storage space in the form of pockets. These pockets in the interior of the bag allow you to carry small accessories like chargers, cables, batteries, memory cards, or other personal items.
Having extra mesh pockets on the exterior is extremely useful as it allows you to carry quick-grab items like water bottles. Thus, look out for a bag which has extra storage pockets on the exterior.
Additional Things to Keep in Mind
While purchasing your ideal camera bag, make sure you know the answers to certain questions. What are you going to carry in your camera bag? How many lenses are you going to carry? What type of lenses are you going to carry? This will help you choose the right camera bag.
Apart from this, choose a bag that offers good security to prevent theft of your expensive possession while traveling. It is essential for the camera bag to have a good locking system with zip closure.
1. SMILEDRIVE Camera Backpack – Our Choice
This camera bag is suitable for carrying any type of camera and camera accessories. It comes with removable dividers in the interior that enable you to make adjustments for fitting in all your gear and accessories. Moreover, the dividers are padded to ensure the safety and protection of your valuable equipment.
The shoulder straps are breathable and padded for ensuring a comfortable experience while traveling. This camera bag also comes with a rain cover to keep your gear safe during rain while the anti-skid base provided extra protection.
- Made using high-quality polyester and nylon.
- Dimensions: 10”x 6″x 13”.
- The interior has removable dividers which can be adjusted to fit cameras, lenses and other accessories.
- Comes with padded and breathable heat dissipation shoulder straps.
- It has a zipper enclosure for a rain cover.
- The two rubber anti-skid base ensures added protection.
- Compatible with Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, and other DSLR cameras, mirrorless cameras, and GoPros.
- It is light-weight and comfortable to carry.
- Durable and water-resistant.
- The exterior has velcro straps that enable you to carry your tripod.
- The mesh pockets allow you to carry your charger, lens, battery, and other accessories.
- The size of the bag is small.
2. AmazonBasics Holster Camera Case – Comfortable and convenient to travel
Amazon, one of the leading E-commerce websites, has launched several private label brands under many categories. One such brand launched, mainly consisting of electronic accessories, is AmazonBasics. It is the best selling private label brands on Amazon that has gifted us with a wide range of innovative electronic accessories like the AmazonBasics holster camera case.
It is one of the best selling camera bags on Amazon and is our top most recommendations for its amazing features. This holster case is designed to be compatible with most digital SLR with zoom lens attached up to 270 mm. It comes with a waterproof EVA base which can protect your expensive gear from rain or any hard impacts which might arise while traveling.
If you are looking for a stylish camera bag having ample storage space, this bag is a perfect choice. It is comfortable and convenient to travel with.
- External dimensions 6.9 inches× 6.3 inches ×9.0 inches.
- Internal dimensions 6.5 inches ×5.9 inches× 7.5 inches.
- The holster camera case is compatible with most digital SLR with a zoom lens attached (up to 270 mm).
- Waterproof EVA base.
- Adjustable padded shoulder strap.
- Three compartments for accessories with two slots for SD cards.
- One year limited warranty.
- The main compartment comes with double zipper closure, and the Velcro straps are adjustable, making it suspend the camera securely for impact protection.
- The sturdy base of the bag protects the camera from any hard impact and provides support to stand upright.
- It is comfortable and convenient to travel with.
- No sufficient space to carry an extra lens.
3. Cosmus Horizon Backpack Bag – The Multipurpose Backpack
Cosmus bags has emerged as one of the most trusted manufacturing company that creats innovative products like sling bags and office messenger laptop bags. Unlike any other camera backpack, this bag is known for its ample storage capacity of 30 kg.
This navy blue backpack is something you must have if you have many gears to carry while traveling. It comes with a waterproof EVA shell and a hard fiber protected outer body which provides full protection to your camera. The grids are adjustable and well padded to fit all your gear perfectly. The bag offers both style and comfort to the traveler.
It is a multipurpose bag which can also be used as a normal backpack if the grid is removed. This waterproof camera bag is one of our top recommendations, hence ranked #2.
- Well, padded digital SLR camera backpack that protects your camera under any circumstances.
- Size of the bag 18.5× 13× 10 (inches).
- Waterproof EVA base that helps it stand upright without any support.
- The outer body is made of hard fiber.
- It has a 30 kg super loading feature.
- The material of the bag – polyester.
- Adjustable grids to fit any lens size.
- Keeps the LCD screen of the camera protected with its cushioned grid.
- The front dynamic, streamlined design, and back ergonomic design makes it easier and comfortable to carry.
- This bag comes with a large capacity enabling it to store 1-2 camera bodies, 4-6 extra lenses along with a 15.6-inch laptop, 10 inches tablet.
- It can also be used as a normal backpack if the grids are removed.
- Low-quality padding and no strap to keep the camera in one place.
4. Nikon DSLR Shoulder Camera Bag – Quality on a Budget
Nikon is one of the leading names when it comes to cameras. Nikon has launched suitable shoulder bags for the convenience of the photographer and the protection of the camera. The Nikon DSLR shoulder bag is an ideal camera bag for most standard size SLR cameras with attached lens.
This compact yet spacious design comes with a removable shoulder strap and a padded top handle. The interior is well padded with Velcro cushions which can be removed and adjusted as per your requirements. The extra pockets allow you to store smaller items making it an ideal shoulder bag to have.
This Nikon camera bag is reasonably priced considering its quality and material. This is a perfect budget-friendly option for photographers with a standard size camera and fewer accessories to carry.
- Extra slots and pockets for small accessories.
- It comes with a shoulder strap buckle.
- The well-padded interior which can be removed and adjusted.
- Two mesh side open pockets.
- Perfect for a standard size camera and lens
- It comes with a padded handle on top so that carrying it to places isn’t an issue.
- It has enough pockets to store small accessories like camera cords, chargers, or personal items.
- The two side pockets are usable for quick grab items like water bottles.
- Padded shoulder strap and handle makes it comfortable to carry.
- Quality waterproof material which protects your camera from rain.
- It is very durable and reasonable in price.
- It does not have enough space to accommodate extra lenses or a laptop/tablet.
5. Peak Design Everyday Sling – The Stylish Sling Camera Bag
Peak Design Everyday bags are award-winning camera bags. Peak Design is one of the leading brands in the manufacturing of camera bags, and it is known for its functional and stylish camera bags.
This Peak Design Everyday sling bag is a great bag to have for the ones who desire a fashionable yet useful camera bag. Well, this is something every photographer would want!
This is a sling camera bag designed to fit DSLR or mirror-less camera bodies perfectly along with two to three extra lenses. It is weather resistant with a great texture that can protect your expensive possession from any damage caused due to rain or dust. It is divided into three compartments to fit all your gear while the smaller pockets hold the small accessories.
If you are looking for a good looking and lightweight camera bag, then the Peak Design Everyday sling is the ideal choice. It is worn across your body, making it convenient to move around freely, which is an essential requirement for a photographer and traveler.
- This is a sling bag that fits a DSLR or mirrorless camera body.
- It is made with Weatherproof 400D nylon canvas shell that protects your possessions inside.
- Number of small internal pockets to store tiny items.
- Approved for carry-on at all major airlines.
- When empty, the straps cinch the bag and can be packed flat.
- Ample space that fits in a DSLR camera along with two to three lenses easily.
- It can also fit a 13-inch laptop or 11-inch tablet.
- Soft, durable mixed-cotton twill interior for extra protection.
- Comes with premium weatherproof exterior zippers, so no chance of water or dust entering the interior.
- Very expensive.
- Durability is questionable.
6. Lowepro Flipside Camera Bag – The easy to Access Camera Bag
Lowepro is a well-known brand of camera bags, laptop, and consumer electronic bags. It is a line of protective camera bags whose focus is to prevent any damage to the camera or gear while traveling and hiking. Our top ten list would be incomplete without the mention of the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II Camera bag.
The main feature of this bag is its flip side body, which allows you to have easy access to your gear without having to remove your bag. It is ideal for carrying this bag around film crews and wildlife where you can seize the perfect beautiful moments without any disturbance.
It has a patented Lowepro cover that offers resistance against any weather conditions, keeping your belongings safe.
- Exterior dimensions – 11.22×8.27×19.29 inches
- Interior dimensions – 9.84× 5.43×15.94 inches
- The flip side body allows you to access the gear without having to put the bag down along with increased security.
- It comes with a removable padded accessory pouch.
- Silent zipper and two stretch mesh side pockets.
- This LowePro camera bag has enough space to fit DSLR with 300mm mounted lens, 4-6 extra lenses, and flash
- It has CradleFit pocket which can easily protect 15” laptop and 10” tablet
- Hideaway Tripod Mount in this bag secures a compact tripod to the pack
- You can do additional storage to Exterior SlipLock strap.
- Having All Weather AW Cover for protection
- The quality of the bag is good and is comfortable to use.
- You can easily load your DSLR camera with up to 7 lenses and flash or compact drone, plus 15” laptop, 10” tablet and compact tripod.
- It has a dynamic storage capacity which can fit a wide range of gear.
- It has extra storage space for small items like cords and chargers.
- The mesh side pockets help for quick-grab items storage.
- The patented Lowepro cover offers weather resistance to the camera and gear.
- No such cons were observed.
7. Think Tank Camera Bag – The Best Rolling Case Camera Bag
Think Tank Photo is the leading US-based designer and manufacturer of camera bags and other accessories. These bags are designed especially for professional photographers who require ample storage capacity for all their gear.
One such Think Tank bag which is designed to meet all the professional requirements of a photographer is the Think Tank airport roller derby rolling carry-on camera bag.
This is a trolley case or a rolling case camera bag which can be used for carrying heavy gear while traveling. It comes with four dual wheelsets which is capable of smooth rolling and pushing, which reduces tiredness and fatigue that arises from carrying of a heavy load.
The zipper can be secured with a lock and cable protecting your camera from theft.
This is the perfect rolling case camera bag for a professional photographer making it one of our top ten choices.
- Fits in a lot of things like two standard DSLR with lenses attached or 1 gripped DSLR and one standard both with lenses attached, 6-7 standard zoom lenses, 400 mm f/2.8, a 15″ laptop and a 10″ tablet.
- Lock and cable secure the lockable zipper and tether this rolling case camera bag.
- It has a seam-sealed rain cover included.
- It comes with a bottom handle and water bottle pocket in the side.
- It has a four dual wheelset.
- 2-position locking handles extending 39-49.
- There are three ways to roll the bag- upright at your side, back wheel tilt or side-wheel tilt, which reduces tiredness and fatigue.
- Top zippered pocket for wallet or cell phone to keep personal valuables safe.
- Extremely durable with its reinforced back panel.
- It is easy and comfortable to push and roll this bag.
- Very expensive, but worth it.
8. E-Tailor Cameron Camera Bag – The Perfect Vintage Camera Bag
E-tailor is a brand by Manglam International that focuses on designing rustic and vintage looking leather camera bags. The E-tailor Cameron DSLR messenger camera bag is a fashionable one always on trend due to its leather make.
The inner material is made of soft fabric which protects the camera lens from scratches while absorbing shock and vibrations at the same time.
The shoulder strap is adjustable, making the bag comfortable to carry without feeling the weight. It is the ideal vintage bag for carrying a camera, a few lenses, and a tripod.
- Product dimension- 33×10×26 cm.
- The number of compartments -3.
- Number of outer pockets-2
- The material in the interior is soft fabric, while the exterior is leather.
- It has a zip closure lock type.
- Protects the camera and other equipment from dust and scratches while absorbing shock and vibrations.
- The multiple pockets enable storage of extra batteries, chargers, cables, lens cap, and other essential items.
- The bag is made of pure leather, making it look more stylish and vintage for the photographer.
- The color is given through a natural process using vegetable oil and sun tanning so it may differ.
9. Fujifilm FJ342 Zipper Camera Case – The Best Camera Pouch
The Fujifilm FJ342 Zipper Camera Case is the best camera pouch to have. It is perfectly suitable to fit an Instax mini camera or any other small camera along with a cartridge. The strap is adjustable as per your requirement.
The interior of this pouch is designed with soft microfiber to prevent scratches on the screen. The wear resistance material quality makes it durable. This reasonable camera case is ideal for carrying for short outings with family or friends. This is truly the best camera pouch to have on our list!
- Designed to fit Instax mini cameras.
- It has an attached belt loop.
- There is a case strap included with it.
- The straps are adjustable.
- The soft microfiber inner design prevents scratches on the screen and absorbs shock.
- It provides your camera with protection and wear-resistance, increasing its longevity.
- It is durable and perfect for outings.
- It comes at a very reasonable price.
- It has space to hold only one Instax mini camera and a cartridge.
- This case is not waterproof.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best camera bag for Travelling?
The best camera bags for traveling are:
- Think Tank Carry-On Camera Bag
- Cosmus Horizon DSLR Camera Backpack
- SMILEDRIVE Backpack Camera Bag
- Lowepro Flipside Camera Bag
2. Which is the best mirrorless camera bag?
The best mirrorless camera bags are:
3. What is the most comfortable type of camera bag?
The most comfortable type of camera bags are as follows:
Camera Bags are an essential accessory for every professional or amateur photographer. Every bag comes with its own set of features and specifications. On the other hand, every photographer needs a camera bag according to their requirements. This article is for every photographer to be able to purchase the camera bag most suitable to his or her style, comfort, and requirements.
Here, we have given a detailed explanation of the types of camera bags, namely- Backpacks, camera pouches, waist belts, rolling cases, holster cases, and shoulder bags. Followed by this, a detailed buyer’s guide lists all the essential features to look for before buying your ideal camera bag. The top ten camera bag lists all our top recommendations for you to choose from.
It has something to offer for every photographer. The SMILEDRIVE Camera Backpack is our topmost choice, especially for those who have a camera with a long lens. We have the Nikon shoulder bag for those under a budget.
On the other hand, the Cosmus horizon, Pacsafe, Vanguard backpacks, and the Think Tank rolling case are perfect for traveling with a huge amount of gear.
From stylish to vintage-looking bags, the list provides a diverse range of camera bags for you to choose from. I hope this article helps!