Best Action Cameras to Capture Adventures
An Action Camera is just as normal as any regular camera but has more rugged features and is used for mounting with different types of accessories, including helmets, or bicycle or even for recording underwater adventures. Regular cameras are not rugged, and they are quite heavy to mount on anything possible. Action cameras are small, light-weight, and compact, and can be installed with accessories.
They are mainly used in sports and other outgoing adventures to give a stunning POV(Point-of-view) videography. These cameras are primarily known for the time-lapse, which offers the most explicit videos even in slow-motion.
Generally, we mount it to cars, on a skateboard to record a stunt, on a helmet or to use it on any pet collar. It is far more advanced and smaller than our traditional use of cellphone cameras or camcorders. There are other types of cameras available like 360 camera and camera under 10,000, choose a model that fits your requirements.
Action Camera comes in different size and shapes, which can be of Bullet shape, or rectangular, and mini in size, types are given below.
Table Of Contents
Action Camera Types
The list of action cameras given below will give the necessary information and will help you decide which camera suits you the best. Action cameras come with different features and are used for different situations. It also comes in various sizes: cylindrical/ bullet, rectangular, mini.
Are most suitable for mounting on a skateboard, helmet, etc. It’s not used by many due to the lack of compatibility. Example for Cylindrical Action Camera is Panasonic HX A1 MD. More details are given below.
Are user favorites as this action camera tend to blend in or say mount with all type of accessories. It is especially used for mounting on our chest to a POV view of our self. It can also be equipped with our helmets on the go, which gives a superb view as well. For example, GoPro 5 or GoPro 6.
Mini-action cameras are likely to be more user-friendly as it also mounts with most of the accessories like bikes, helmets, for filming underwater. The users prone to take this gadget because of its size, it is comparatively smaller in format and quite more handy when it comes to action cameras. Like Xiaomi Mijia 4k, GoPro series5 is worth the choice.
Action Camera Buyers Guide
- Design and Size: As given above, action cameras come in 3 types, so you can choose whichever you feel like based on your peculiar needs.
- For instance, if you are mounting it for bike rides you can opt for Panasonic HX A1 MD Action camera, easy to operate as of one push-button recording and very easy to fit on a helmet.
- For trekking, you can always trust GoPro 5, light-weight, and sound quality, which gives stunning HD videos. Either mount it on your chest or your helmet, it will work without any interruption.
- For Swimming Kodak SP360, which gives you a 360* view, offers the spectacular view of the ocean.
- Resolution: It is one of the most valuable aspects of an action camera; not only it gives the top-rated quality of pictures but also gives stunning clarity.
- Battery: One of the major crisis we all go through is a back-up battery issue. It is a smart choice to have a portable charging action camera as it can help you in the long run or tours. We would strongly recommend you to have a portable charger along with batteries if possible.
- Budget: These action cameras come in a wide variety as it does have something for everyone. The action camera comes in Low-end, middle, and high-end prices will give you the details in the article further.
- Connectivity: This feature has to be one of the essentials, with features like wifi, or GPS etc. It is very helpful when it comes to action cameras, as we can connect to it our phones or laptops or even with WiFi, which enables us to share our pictures and videos.
- Accessories: Along with an action camera, make sure to get the best accessories available, for example, a tripod, helmet strap, handlebar mount, etc. There are many accessories available in the market, will link it down below with every product.
Top 10 Action Camera
GoPro Hero6 is value for money, and is one of the best and presently leading the market in Action cameras.
GoPro Hero6 has a faster and more responsive processing engine, along with many new and cool features such as LCD screen and image stabilization. Although it has the same design as its predecessor, it has many New and bold qualities for your adventurous needs.
The GoPro Hero6 comes with 4k HD footage at 60fps which is quite impressive for such device along with image stabilization. Features are given below.
- Weighs only 118g
- 4K video recording
- Image Stabilization
- 12MP with 1080p resolution max
- Battery back-up: 2-3 hours
- 2-inch touchscreen
- Waterproof – 10M
- Voice Control
- 4K video with up to 60fps
- Rechargeable battery
- High-Definition pictures
- No Zoom
For accessories: http://amzn.in/fMP0YhA
Yi 4K Action Camera
When it comes to action camera Yi 4k can give a fierce competition to Gopro series because as GoPro does cost way more than this perfect budget action camera. But not only does it provide competition in cost but it also has some brilliant features which make it worth your money. As in this range, it has the best quality at such price, here are some of the elements along with pros and cons:
- 12Mega pixel with stabilization
- 2.19 LCD gorilla glass screen
- 4k Recording with up to 30fps
- New generation Ambarella A9SE75 chip
- Sony IMX377 image sensor and seven layers of all glass lenses
- Enabled WiFi
- Superb Build Quality
- Cheaper than GoPro series
- Long Battery life ( 2 hrs )
- No mounts Included(Have to buy separately)
- No waterproof Casing(Have to purchase separately)
Imagine such specs in a small Gadget at such affordable price, apart from the accessories it does a great job with 4k Video recording, for accessories you can check the links below.
For accessories: http://amzn.in/0Ftlr93
SJCam SJ5000X Elite
SJCam has made a stunning impact on the action camera segment; it has everything an adventurous person needs on the go. This Camera comes with a 2″ LCD screen and has the 12megapixel camera. One of the best thing about this action camera is that it comes with the accessories at such an affordable price.
- Weight 68gm LCD screen
- 12.4 Mega Pixel camera
- Video resolutions: 1080p, 2k, 720p and 4k
- 4k Recording @ 24fps; 2k @ 30 fps
- Time-Lapse Feature
- Gyro Video Stabilization
- 70 Degree – 170 Degree Wide Angles
- Motion Detection
- Affordable Price with great Specs
- Waterproof case
- Comes with Accessories (more than eight accessories: Waterproof Case; Bicycle Stand; Clip; Audio Backdoor; Switch Support 1, 2, 3; Fixed Base; Adapter; Mount Base; Helmet Base and so on )
- Choice of Resolutions
- Hard to clean case
- Audio quality is sketchy
- 4K image/video Stabilization is kind of blurry
XIAOMI MI 4K ACTION CAMERA
As elegant as it looks and performs like a beast, the Xiaomi Mi Action Camera is equipped with brilliant features along with 4k video recording and has high light sensitivity image sensor, more in the features. Also comes with MI application for your phones, which makes it more convenient. Ideal for mounting on mountain biking.
- 4k UHD video
- Resolution 3840*2160 30 fps HD photos
- 7 Layer 145-degree wide-angle lens
- Six-axis EIS Anti-shake Function
- 2.4″ Highly sensitive screen
- Bigger touch-screen
- Multi shooting mode for time lapse
- Good battery back-up
- huge touch screen for an action camera
- No accessories, You have to buy it separately
- Battery back-up may not last longer than 2-3 hours
This device is worth having as the pricing does the perfect job for people who are newbies and want to go on an adventure, and with a light-weighted camera.
To Buy accessories: http://amzn.in/5sybOaV
Kodak PIXPRO SP360 Action Cam
This action camera has one of the most futuristic features which is available in the market, With MOS sensor and 16 million image pixels, will give you the best quality of pictures as well as the clarity will be astonishing. This Action camera is worth having for people who want a fisheye of 360°, which will present you with larger than life picture quality. Ideal for Swimming underwater adventure with fish eye 360 views.
Action cameras with 360° view of fisheye are something new in the marketplace; this camera can be mount to anything and can be easily carried away. With the 360° you can capture some stunning details with this camera, worth of money.
- 2-meter shock proof/-10 Degree C freeze Proof/dustproof/ Splash resistance
- 1080p HD recording with 10fps
- WiFi/NFC Connectivity
- Comes with accessories known as an aqua pack
- 16 megapixel
- 2 Hours of battery life
- Accessories can be bought according to the user preference
- Well designed
- 360° fisheye view
- Lack of tripod adapters for this camera
- Little expensive
- Protective cases given might not handle the camera properly
GoPro session five is known for its compact Mini-action camera segment, but don’t judge by the size. It has the power to capture 4k videos and has three types of modes: single, burst, and time-lapse.
Rugged and also waterproof without its case for 10m, for more than that you’ll need a case, comes with WiFi and Low-energy Bluetooth.
And with GoPro Membership, will help you do link to your cloud and upload images or video recording automatically. Ideal for Helmet mounting and biking trips.
Session 5 comes with Wifi connectivity so that you can easily share your experiences, along with GoPro application it helps to edit or do any sort of adjustment easy. Mounting comes easy because of its mini size and easy to operate; it can easily be mounted to your helmet or bicycles for capturing 4k videos.
- 4k with the 10MP camera for better recording
- Hands-free control with voice commands
- 30fps max resolution
- Waterproof without case 10m
- Great image quality
- Dual Microphones
- Small and Compact size
- Laggy software which connects to the laptop
- Accessories need to be bought separately
To buy Accessories: http://amzn.in/cZa6koT
In the world of 4k HD action camera, this 1080p full HD resolution still gives a tough fight in its cylindrical segment, with 1080p Resolution and 3.54 megapixels. A1 comes with infra-red night vision with IR flash, which gives the stunning detailed picture and videos in the low light as well. This Panasonic cylindrical action camera is ideal for trekking, night trekking, filming nocturnal wildlife and nature.
This action camera is suitable for people who are always on the go and loves to share experiences, whether it is on low light or under the sun. It is easy to mount this camera as it does come with tripods and some other mounting accessories. Its specialty is Infrared, so there will not be a problem for recording in dense caves for thrilling adventures.
- Infrared vision
- Built-in WiFi
- 1080p Full HD resolution
- Slow motion in two modes: 1280 x 720 resolution at 60fps/30p or 848 x 480 at 120fps/30p.
- Waterproof, Dust-proof, Shockproof
- Ulta compact
- Sleek and slim design
- The infrared vision for night adventures
- Easy access to Micro SD cards
- Multi-mount and tripod included
- Needs Suction cups as it rolls on a flat surface
- Gets heated with WiFi and laptop connectivity
Garmin Virb Ultra 30
Garmin Virb Ultra is as functional as a GoPro when it comes to reliability. It is a small piece of action camera which has some of the explosive features which include G- Matrix, which has not seen in many of the competitors, some of the features are given below.
Garmin Virb Ultra 30 has phenomenon features when it comes to capturing stunning moments, and it does give the value of satisfaction, It is the best from the Garmin series and has everything which is required for obtaining videos in 4k.
- 40m depth waterproof with a waterproof case
- Ultra HD video: 4k-30fps, 1080p-120fps
- LCD touchscreen, 1.75inch
- G-Metrix: Built-in GPS and external sensors
- Comes with Waterproof Casing
- WiFi connectivity
- Comes with the accessories
- ANT+ and Bluetooth Connectivity
- No 4k Image Stabilization
- Battery back is not enough
Ricoh is at the Top when it comes to toughness; it does not require any case for underwater adventures or a hard example to protect it from any physical damage, as well as it is freeze proof and dustproof. It is known to be the first of its kind, which is WiFi-enabled.
This Action camera has stunning durability and is tough without any housing and has been the toughest among its competition; it also consists of Wifi, which is easy to use and transfers data easily. And with such pricing, they also give the accessories which are mandatory when it comes to expensive action cameras. Bottom of this Action Camera has tripod mounting.
- 14 Megapixel with 1/2.3 inch CMOS image sensor
- Comes with several different types of Modes
- Large and easy access buttons
- Waterproof, Dustproof, Freezeproof and Shockproof
- Comes with accessories
- Easy to handle
- Small yet has big buttons
- LCD monitor
- No 4K recording
Polaroid Cube Plus
This action camera has 8MP along with 1440p Max video; Convincingly this device is worth the price than most of the gadgets out there.
Although this Action camera looks a bit Expensive in front of its competitors, It is good to have for short filming. It has two buttons, all you have to do to record is to click one button, and it starts recording. It is effortless to start and finish recording without any confusions.
- 8MP with 1440p/1080p/720p video quality
- 124 Degree wide-angle for the wide view
- Very small and Compact
- Micro SD card facility
- WiFi connectivity
- Built-in rechargeable battery
- Super Portability
- Worth the Price
- Easy to use
- 1440p video quality
- Short USB cable
- The software needs some work for connectivity issues
- A bit Costly yet compatible
The action camera comes in different shape and sizes, but it is all up to you and your usage whether, you need a Mini, or Bullet, or some regular action cameras. For trekking and adventurous bike riding, we suggest going for GroPro Hero 6 if the budget is just a number for you.
Or else Yi and Xiaomi and SJcams can help you save money and have some 4k HD action-packed videography with such affordable pricing.
For 360* Fisheye view especially for underwater experience, without any second thoughts, you can go for Kodak PIXPRO SP360.
Durability and subtle performance you can go for the rugged competitor of all Ricoh WG-M1. Which gives the satisfaction of safety and can be used without any cases to protect from dust or from water etc. Also, its mounting ability is better and can be used in any circumstances.
For Trekking day or night and this action camera is great for night outs because of the infrared camera, you can switch you Panasonic HX-A1 MD, which is small and sleek and has a bullet shape to help to mount easy, and it can also be mounted to helmets, and can be used as per your preference.
For mounting for helmets or chest mounting Miniseries will be the best option as GoPro session5 would be the best choice for such adventurous moment, Compact with 4k recording. Or if your budget is tight go for Polaroid Cube plus.