Best Action Cameras to Capture Adventures
An Action Camera is just as normal as any regular camera but has more rugged features and is used for mounting with different types of accessories, including helmets, or bicycles or even for recording underwater adventures. Regular cameras are not rugged, and they are quite heavy to mount on anything possible. Action cameras are small, light-weight, and compact, and can be installed with accessories.
They are mainly used in sports and other outgoing adventures to give a stunning POV(Point-of-view) videography. These cameras are primarily known for the time-lapse, which offers the most explicit videos even in slow-motion.
Generally, we mount it to cars, on a skateboard to record a stunt, on a helmet or to use it on any pet collar. It is far more advanced and smaller than our traditional use of cellphone cameras or camcorders. There are other types of cameras available like 360 camera and camera under 10,000, choose a model that fits your requirements.
Choosing the right kind of camera can be a tricky task; hence, we shall provide a full description of the types available and the features one should look for while buying one. We shall also provide you with a descriptive list of the top 9 best action camera along with FAQs.
Action Camera comes in different sizes and shapes, which can be of Bullet shape, or rectangular, and mini in size, types are given below.
Top 9 Best Action Camera
Action Camera Types
The list of action cameras given below will give the necessary information and will help you decide which camera suits you the best. Action cameras come with different features and are used for different situations. It also comes in various sizes: cylindrical/ bullet, rectangular, mini.
They are most suitable for mounting on a skateboard, helmet, etc. It’s not used by many due to the lack of compatibility. An example of a Cylindrical Action Camera is Panasonic HX A1 MD. More details are given below.
Are user favorites as this action camera tend to blend in or say mount with all type of accessories. It is especially used for mounting on our chest to a POV view of our self. It can also be equipped with our helmets on the go, which gives a superb view as well. For example, GoPro 5 or GoPro 6.
Mini-action cameras are likely to be more user-friendly as it also mounts with most of the accessories like bikes, helmets, for filming underwater. The users are prone to take this gadget because of its size. It is comparatively smaller in format and quite more handy when it comes to action cameras. Like Xiaomi Mijia 4k, GoPro series5 is worth the choice.
Action Camera Buyers Guide
Design and Size
As given above, action cameras come in 3 types, so you can choose whichever you feel like based on your peculiar needs.
For instance, if you are mounting it for bike rides, you can opt for Panasonic HX A1 MD Action camera, easy to operate as of one push-button recording, and very easy to fit on a helmet.
For trekking, you can always trust GoPro 5, light-weight, and sound quality, which gives stunning HD videos. Either mount it on your chest or your helmet, it will work without any interruption.
Swimming Kodak SP360, which gives you a 360* view, offers a spectacular view of the ocean.
If the product is portable enough, you can carry it while you are biking and traveling, but it should have good mounts which can fit easily on your helmets.
The action camera comes along with several accessories such as remote control, adapters, mounts, anti-fog inserts, and waterproof housing. If the package includes these accessories, it would be a bonus for users.
It is one of the most valuable aspects of an action camera; not only it gives the top-rated quality of pictures but also gives stunning clarity.
One of the major crises we all go through is a back-up battery issue. It is a smart choice to have a portable charging action camera as it can help you in the long run or tours. We would strongly recommend you to have a portable charger along with batteries if possible.
These action cameras come in a wide variety as it does have something for everyone. The action camera comes in Low-end, middle, and high-end prices will give you the details in the article further.
This feature has to be one of the essentials, with features like wifi, or GPS, etc. It is very helpful when it comes to action cameras, as we can connect to it our phones or laptops or even with WiFi, which enables us to share our pictures and videos.
Along with an action camera, make sure to get the best accessories available, for example, a tripod, helmet strap, handlebar mount, etc. There are many accessories available in the market, will link it down below with every product.
Top 9 Action Camera
1. Dragon Touch 4K30fps WiFi Action Camera
Dragon Touch Action Camera can seamlessly record moments. One of the unique features is its waterproof capability, which allows you to record even during any watersports. Let us look at the features of this product.
- This product is a 4k professional camera that is capable of capturing 4K/30FPS, 2.7K/30fps, 1080P/60FPS videos. Along with that, the 16MP camera that allows you to capture your life moments.
- The camera features a zoom range of 1.0x to 4.0x, which allows you to easily capture even the faraway objects.
- It comes along with wireless remote control that can be worn on your wrist and allows you to hover over the settings and features after installing it on your helmet. The wireless range is about 10m(33ft).
- It is compatible with apps such as App XDV which allows you to save the videos and images on to your phones and tablets.
- It is capable of recording 170-degree wide angles.
- It comes with a USB port that allows you to connect it with a laptop or computer.
- It comes along with a 2? screen enabling users to easily watch the recorded videos and images.
- The camera is waterproof. Just place it inside your waterproof case and enjoy recording videos even inside a swimming pool or underwater. It is an ideal action camera for watersports such as swimming, surfing, diving, etc.
- It comes along with two rechargeable 1050mAh batteries, charger, and accessories allowing you to record seamlessly. It enables you to record up to 90 minutes.
- The Driving mode allows you to use this product as a Dash camera, and the image rotation feature helps it. If you turn on the loop record, it will automatically delete all the old videos and start recording the new.
- Compact in size so you can carry it wherever you want.
- The wifi-enabled remote control is not waterproof, so you cannot use it while performing watersports.
2. GoPro Hero 6 Camera
GoPro Hero6 is value for money, and is one of the best and presently leading the market in Action cameras.
GoPro Hero6 has a faster and more responsive processing engine, along with many new and cool features such as LCD screen and image stabilization. Although it has the same design as its predecessor, it has many New and bold qualities for your adventurous needs.
The GoPro Hero6 comes with 4k HD footage at 60fps, which is quite impressive for such devices along with image stabilization. Features are given below.
- Weighs only 118g
- 4K video recording
- Image Stabilization
- 12MP with 1080p resolution max
- Battery back-up: 2-3 hours
- 2-inch touchscreen
- Waterproof – 10M
- Voice Control
- 4K video with up to 60fps
- Rechargeable battery
- High-Definition pictures
- No Zoom
3. YI 4K Sports and Action Video Camera
When it comes to an action camera, Yi 4k can give fierce competition to the Gopro series because GoPro does cost way more than this perfect budget action camera. But not only does it provide competition in cost but it also has some brilliant features which make it worth your money. As in this range, it has the best quality at such price, here are some of the elements along with pros and cons:
- 12Mega pixel with stabilization
- 2.19 LCD gorilla glass screen
- 4k Recording with up to 30fps
- New generation Ambarella A9SE75 chip
- Sony IMX377 image sensor and seven layers of all glass lenses
- Enabled WiFi
- Superb Build Quality
- Cheaper than GoPro series
- Long Battery life ( 2 hrs )
- No mounts Included(Have to buy separately)
- No waterproof Casing(Have to purchase separately)
4. SJCAM SJ5000X Elite Waterproof Action Camera
SJCam has made a stunning impact on the action camera segment; it has everything an adventurous person needs on the go. Does this Camera come with a 2? LCD screen and has the 12megapixel camera. One of the best things about this action camera is that it comes with the accessories at such an affordable price.
- Weight 68gm LCD screen
- 12.4 Mega Pixel camera
- Video resolutions: 1080p, 2k, 720p and 4k
- 4k Recording @ 24fps; 2k @ 30 fps
- Time-Lapse Feature
- Gyro Video Stabilization
- 70 Degree – 170 Degree Wide Angles
- Motion Detection
- Affordable Price with great Specs
- Waterproof case
- Comes with Accessories (more than eight accessories: Waterproof Case; Bicycle Stand; Clip; Audio Backdoor; Switch Support 1, 2, 3; Fixed Base; Adapter; Mount Base; Helmet Base and so on )
- Choice of Resolutions
- Hard to clean case
- Audio quality is sketchy
- 4K image/video Stabilization is kind of blurry
5. Kodak PIXPRO SP360 Action Cam
This action camera has one of the most futuristic features which is available in the market, With MOS sensor and 16 million image pixels, will give you the best quality of pictures as well as the clarity will be astonishing. This Action camera is worth having for people who want a fisheye of 360°, which will present you with larger than life picture quality. Ideal for Swimming underwater adventure with fish eye 360 views.
Action cameras with 360° view of fisheye are something new in the marketplace; this camera can be mount to anything and can be easily carried away. With the 360°, you can capture some stunning details with this camera, worth of money.
- 2-meter shock proof/-10 Degree C freeze Proof/dustproof/ Splash resistance
- 1080p HD recording with 10fps
- WiFi/NFC Connectivity
- Comes with accessories known as an aqua pack
- 16 megapixel
- 2 Hours of battery life
- Accessories can be bought according to the user preference
- Well designed
- 360° fisheye view
- Lack of tripod adapters for this camera
- Little expensive
- Protective cases given might not handle the camera properly
6. Panasonic HX-A1MD Wearable Action Camera
In the world of 4k HD action camera, this 1080p full HD resolution still gives a tough fight in its cylindrical segment, with 1080p Resolution and 3.54 megapixels. A1 comes with infra-red night vision with IR flash, which gives the stunning detailed picture and videos in the low light as well. This Panasonic cylindrical action camera is ideal for trekking, night trekking, filming nocturnal wildlife, and nature.
This action camera is suitable for people who are always on the go and loves to share experiences, whether it is on low light or under the sun. It is easy to mount this camera as it does come with tripods and some other mounting accessories. Its specialty is Infrared, so there will not be a problem for recording in dense caves for thrilling adventures.
- Infrared vision
- Built-in WiFi
- 1080p Full HD resolution
- Slow motion in two modes: 1280 x 720 resolution at 60fps/30p or 848 x 480 at 120fps/30p.
- Waterproof, Dustproof, Shockproof
- Ulta compact
- Sleek and slim design
- The infrared vision for night adventures
- Easy access to Micro SD cards
- Multi-mount and tripod included
- Needs Suction cups as it rolls on a flat surface
- Gets heated with WiFi and laptop connectivity
7. Garmin Virb Ultra 30 Action Camera
Garmin Virb Ultra is as functional as a GoPro when it comes to reliability. It is a small piece of action camera which has some of the explosive features which include G- Matrix, which has not seen in many of the competitors, some of the features are given below.
Garmin Virb Ultra 30 has phenomenon features when it comes to capturing stunning moments, and it does give the value of satisfaction, It is the best from the Garmin series. It has everything which is required for obtaining videos in 4k.
- 40m depth waterproof with a waterproof case
- Ultra HD video: 4k-30fps, 1080p-120fps
- LCD touchscreen, 1.75inch
- G-Metrix: Built-in GPS and external sensors
- Comes with Waterproof Casing
- WiFi connectivity
- Comes with the accessories
- ANT+ and Bluetooth Connectivity
- No 4k Image Stabilization
- Battery back is not enough
8. Ricoh WG-M1 14MP Waterproof Action Video Camera
Ricoh is at the Top when it comes to toughness; it does not require any case for underwater adventures or a hard example to protect it from any physical damage, as well as it is freeze proof and dustproof. It is known to be the first of its kind, which is WiFi-enabled.
This Action camera has stunning durability and is tough without any housing and has been the toughest among its competition; it also consists of Wifi, which is easy to use and transfers data easily. And with such pricing, they also give the accessories which are mandatory when it comes to expensive action cameras. The bottom of this Action Camera has tripod mounting.
- 14 Megapixel with 1/2.3 inch CMOS image sensor
- Comes with several different types of Modes
- Large and easy access buttons
- Waterproof, Dustproof, Freezeproof and Shockproof
- Comes with accessories
- Easy to handle
- Small yet has big buttons
- LCD monitor
- No 4K recording
9. Polaroid Cube+ Live Streaming Mini Action Camera
This action camera has 8MP along with 1440p Max video; Convincingly, this device is worth the price than most of the gadgets out there.
Although this Action camera looks a bit Expensive in front of its competitors, It is good to have for short filming. It has two buttons, all you have to do to record is to click one button, and it starts recording. It is effortless to start and finish recording without any confusion.
- 8MP with 1440p/1080p/720p video quality
- 124 Degree wide-angle for the wide view
- Very small and Compact
- Micro SD card facility
- WiFi connectivity
- Built-in rechargeable battery
- Super Portability
- Worth the Price
- Easy to use
- 1440p video quality
- Short USB cable
- The software needs some work for connectivity issues
- A bit Costly yet compatible
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is an action camera worth it?
If you do not want motion sensors and GPS in your camera, Action Cameras are worth it. It produces images of great quality. You would be able to capture life in the best crisp details.
2. What is the best alternative to a GoPro?
The best alternative to a GoPro is Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 & Yi 4k GoPro Alternative.
3. Are Action Cameras good for photos?
Good quality action cameras are good for capturing stunning photos. They are equipped with sensors because the newest editions come with a 24MP camera. Action cameras can be fitted on your helmet and help you capture videos and images while traveling and trekking.
They have infinite depth of field which can focus to infinity. These products cannot manipulate the aperture like DSLR but work well on images.
The action camera comes in different shapes and sizes, but it is all up to you and your usage whether you need a Mini, or Bullet, or some regular action cameras. For trekking and adventurous bike riding, we suggest going for GroPro Hero 6 if the budget is just a number for you.
For 360* Fisheye view, especially for underwater experience, without any second thoughts, you can go for Kodak PIXPRO SP360.
Durability and subtle performance, you can go for the rugged competitor of all Ricoh WG-M1, which gives the satisfaction of safety and can be used without any cases to protect from dust or water, etc. Also, its mounting ability is better and can be used in any circumstances.
For Trekking day or night and this action, the camera is great for night outs because of the infrared camera, you can switch you Panasonic HX-A1 MD, which is small and sleek and has a bullet shape to help to mount easily, and it can also be mounted to helmets. It can be used as per your preference.