7 Best Nikon DSLR Cameras
The Nikon DSLRs are suitable for advanced and newbies photographers. These Nikon cameras give you a better capture of images than the smartphone. In our present day, where the quality of the cameras on our smartphones are top-notch, the Nikon DSLR Cameras still comes in handy, and you can find professionals and those less advanced users making use of these cameras.
For quality images, the Nikon Camera DSLR is preferable to a smartphone because you get a larger sensor for quality images. With these cameras, you have lots of manual controls so you can adjust the settings of your camera to capture the best pictures with some tweaking of your camera settings. There is also the option of changing the lens, which is not possible with the smartphone, and this will help you get the right scenery for your capture.
The Nikon DSLR is not just for professional use as the camera is made easy to operate for non-professionals. The camera also comes with an operational manual that is easy to understand, and anyone can operate the camera by following the manual that comes along with most of the cameras.
There are different kinds of Nikon DSLR Cameras, and therefore you can find the one that will suit your budget and needs. However, choosing the best cameras can be a difficult task, but knowing the features of these cameras and with the past reviews of people that have used these products, one can be able to deduce the Nikon camera suitable for their use. So today, we will check the reasons why a Nikon DSLR camera is better than a smartphone camera, things to consider while choosing top-rated Nikon DSLR camera, top 7 best Nikon cameras available, and the FAQs.
Top 7 Nikon DSLR Cameras
Best DSLR camera for beginners
Save Images on the go
Double Lens for better capture
Best Nikon Camera for the Money
Nikon camera for all-weather
A camera built for the road
Reasons Why Compact Camera Is Better Than a Smartphone Camera for Picture
There has been a sharp drop in the sales of compact cameras since the smartphone is being seen as a better option for capturing images. There are so many reasons why people go for a smartphone over the compact camera, and they include the portability of the smartphone and the ease of sharing the images. Also, with a smartphone, you can easily edit the pictures with some software on the smartphone, explicitly made for easy editing, and much more.
But, regardless of the advantages of using the smartphone over the camera, the compact camera is still common, especially with professional photographers. You always see professional photographers carrying their big camera, which ensures quality images compared with the smartphone.
Here are some of the reasons why the compact camera still stands a better chance than a smartphone camera and why they are preferred by professional photographers:
Good picture quality
Smartphones camera has gone through lots of technological advancement that they can produce top quality photos. But there is a limit to the quality of images you can get with the smartphone camera compared to the compact camera.
The compact camera is made up of lenses that will make it possible to capture any shots, either moving or still objects. The smartphone rarely produces good images of moving objects but can capture pictures of still objects that are close. The compact camera produces excellent images of moving objects, and this can be attributed to the lens that is common features of the compact camera.
Zooming with Lens Versatility
The compact camera can capture clear images from a distance with the complete details of the image displayed. Zooming with the smartphone produces blurred images, and you will lose out on some aspects of the images when you zoomed with a smartphone camera.
While the lens versatility of the compact camera, you can change the lens to the best out of your images at different scenes of distances. The lenses of the compact camera can capture images clearly up to 3x the Zooming capacity of an image and will capture all the details of the image clearly without any blurring or distortion in the image.
With these features, professional photographers can capture quality images with complete and relevant details appearing on the image.
Controls of the camera
With your smartphone, you can only control a few things that will help you manipulate the picture quality. You can control the sharpness, the exposure, the ISO, and the white balance of the image. But with the compact camera, you have more manual control such as the shutter speed and aperture, which can help in producing a more artistic image.
This manual control allows one to be more creative with the images, and it is common for professional photographers to look for these features in a camera.
The cost of the camera
You will have to spend a huge amount of money to buy a smartphone with an excellent camera. Most low-end smartphones have poor camera quality, and they will not get you the quality of the image you desire, but with a high-end smartphone, you will get some of the best quality of pictures with the high camera quality.
However, with the increase in sales of smartphones, there has been a drop in the prices of the compact camera. So, in essence, people can get the compact camera cheaper as the prices had dropped because people now favor the use of a smartphone.
Non-professional photographers do make use of the compact camera before the advent of the smartphone to save quality moments. But since almost everyone has a smartphone that can capture lovely moments and kept them on their phones, they no longer need the compact camera.
So as the demand for these compact cameras has dropped, the prices had also fallen, which has made them more affordable at present.
The battery life
The smartphone performs lots of functions such as messaging, answering calls, playing games, and other activities that drain the battery faster. In most cases, your smartphone may not be charged entirely to cover an event as the battery drains more quickly when you use it often.
This is one of the reasons that make a compact camera preferable than the smartphone for taking pictures as you can use the battery to take up to 400 to 500 photos at a go. So if you are a professional photographer and you do not want to disappoint your client, go for the compact camera that can last longer, and you can capture more images without worrying about battery life span.
What to Consider in Choosing a Compact Digital Camera
Now that you have decided to move from using your smartphone to the compact camera, there are some factors you have to consider in choosing a digital camera. Take into account the following factors before buying a compact camera:
The portability of the camera
The size of the camera is a critical feature since this will determine the ease of moving with the camera. Manufacturers are considering this with the design of modern cameras as they try as much as possible to compress the size of the camera.
The brand of the camera
Some brands are popular than others, and this may be due to the quality of their products. People have grown trust in these brands over the years as they keep themselves updated with the latest products. These brands usually make quality products and may be known for their durability, and thus, their customers trust them.
Review of the product
Researching about a brand is one of the processes involved in buying a compact camera as you seek to know the experience of those who have used the camera. One can be able to deduce some of the useful features and shortcomings of the camera by what the customers say about the products.
Researching the product will give the buyer enough knowledge, especially when you compare the reviews with reviews of other products to determine whether your choice will be better for your use.
How you intend to use the camera
Are you a professional photographer looking for a top-notch camera for your work? Or you want a camera to capture a memorable moment or for personal use?
The intended purpose of the compact camera will determine the kind of camera you intend to purchase. As you must have been aware, the more quality image or camera has great zooming features enabling the camera to capture a distant object that makes them more expensive. Other features, such as the shutter speed, in built-in flashlights, and others, may also determine the price of the compact camera.
So if one needs a camera for personal use, you may not have to spend much more on a camera since you are not a professional photographer who has to invest more to capture a quality picture.
Battery Life Span
Each compact camera comes with a different battery life span, and this is one main factor to consider in choosing the small camera to buy. Some battery can last just for 100 shots, while others may last for up to 500 shots. The choice made will be determined by how much you are using the camera.
The different types of cameras come with various sensors on the camera, and this is one factor to be considered. The sensor will determine the focus of the camera and hence, the quality of images it will capture.
Resolution of the camera
The bigger the resolution of the camera, the higher the quality of the camera. The resolution of the camera you intend to choose will depend on the purpose and preferences on your side.
People who use their camera for traveling and wildlife will require a camera with higher resolution to capture images clearly from a distant. Those who use their camera for personal purposes may need a camera with lesser resolution as they mainly take pictures or videos of objects that are close to the camera.
The lenses are important to capture quality images, and we have a different kind of lenses. As a professional photographer, you have to change your lenses to accommodate the kind of image you want to capture.
An image further away from the photographer may require a different lens from something that is close to the photographer. And also, the kind of lens used indoor may be different from the one that is used outdoors. Some cameras have fixed lenses that cannot be changed while others come with more than one kind of lens so you can change the lens as per the requirements.
There are some cameras that can support video as well as taking pictures. It is advisable to go for a camera that can capture video as well, although they are more expensive than the one with image capture.
The camera can be connected to other devices or smartphones using Bluetooth, near field connection NFC or Wi-Fi connection. Some cameras have a combination of these or one or two of these for connecting with other devices.
It is best to select a camera with all of these means of connection or at least two of these means of contact. This will make it easy to connect your camera and share your images and videos at ease.
7 Best Nikon DSLR Cameras
1. Nikon D5300 DSLR Camera – Our Pick
You can do much more with this camera aside from capturing quality images as you can be able to manipulate the images with some unique features on the camera. This camera allows you to capture an image from any angle, and you can use geotag to input the location of the image so you can have vivid memories of your activities. It, therefore, makes it the best professional DSLR camera by Nikon.
You can also share your images and videos easily on your smartphone with this camera using the built-in Bluetooth and other connecting devices. This Nikon DSLR Camera has up to 16 GB memory card where you can store your images and video, and it is worth the money spent on it.
- The camera has a built-in GPS feature that you can use to log your travel experience.
- The camera also has nine image editing effects of manipulating your images, which include HDR painting.
- The camera is portable, with a dimension of 7.6 x 12.5 x 9.8 cm and a screen size of 3.2 inches.
- The speed of the camera is high, with a shutter speed of 1/200 seconds.
- You have two years warranty with this product.
- You can capture a grain-free image with its sensitivity as high as ISO: 100 – 12800.
- You will have high-resolution images with APS-C CMOS Sensor with 24.2 MP.
- Built-in Bluetooth for remotely controlling the camera.
- The camera produces high definition videos, and you can control the camera manually.
- The camera has an excellent image processor with expeed 4 and 39 autofocus points, which ensures you have clear images and videos.
- You can capture images from a different angle, and with it fast speed that it comes with, you do not miss any moment.
- You can edit your images right from the camera to produce top-notch images.
- The camera provides high definition video, which enables you to capture priceless moments.
- There is enough storage space with 16 GB SD card that comes with the camera, and you do not have to delete images or videos to look for space.
- The tilt screen has been appreciated by several users.
- Great battery life as with one charge you can click almost 300 – 400 JPG images
- The camera is excellent, but it is advisable to change the lens that comes with it as it will not produce a quality image at low light.
- The camera does not have anybody’s stabilization.
2. Nikon D3400 DSLR Camera – Best DSLR camera for beginners
The Nikon D3400 is the best entry-level digital camera to help amateur capture quality moments. The camera is easy to use with its 11 autofocus to ensure that your loved ones are always on focus and captured in the image. The camera enables easy sharing with the Snapbridge software, which you can use to share images through low energy Bluetooth with your smartphone.
You do not have to worry about space when using this camera as you can transfer your image to the Nikon image space. It is easy to connect your camera to this space with the easy steps are shown on the manual, and your images can automatically upload to the Nikon image space.
- The camera has 11 autofocus that makes it easy to focus on your intended target in capturing your image.
- You can use the Snapbridge software to easily transfer images through Bluetooth to your smartphone or any other devices.
- There is an improved ISO range of 100 to 25600 that enables you to capture clear images, even in low light.
- With shooting speed of 5 frames per image, hence, you will not miss any precious moments.
- The camera weighs 395g, so it is compact and comfortable to hold in your hand.
- The screen size is 3 inches, and the dimension of the camera is 7.6 x 12.4 x 9.8 cm.
- The camera has some control features that will enable you to edit your images on the camera, such as night vision or miniature effect.
- The camera is easy to use, and you can make use of the guide available to learn how to use the features in the camera.
- The images you captured are kept safe and secure in the Nikon image space, and you can stay sure that you can always get these images anytime.
- The camera is compatible with smart devices in storing images using low energy Bluetooth connectivity.
- You are assured of capturing clear images in low light with its improved ISO range.
- Great for beginners to start with photography.
- The battery life is too good as the camera can work continuously for two days without any charging in between.
- The camera is exceptional, but the battery life is too short.
3. Nikon D5600 DSLR Camera – Save Images on the go
You will catch more fun with the Nikon D5600 with its great features. The camera is easy to use with enough space to store images. It comes with up to 16GB memory space. You will never miss any moment with this face Pace camera with its continuous shooting as it captures five frames per second.
Stay focused on the subject as you capture a wide range of the area with its 39 autofocus feature. The camera is compatible with a smartphone as it can be connected using Bluetooth, NFC, or Wi-Fi, and you can also share easily using the software Snapbridge.
Control your camera remotely using your smartphone so you can always be in the picture and ever be left out of the fun. The Nikon D5600 is easy to use and compatible as you can move it easily as you capture quality moments
- The camera can capture a wide range of images with its 39 autofocus.
- It is easy to connect the camera with your camera using Bluetooth, NFC, or Wi-Fi.
- Quality image processing
- With expeed 4.2 with an ISO range of 100 to 25600 for quality image production.
- The camera has a long-lasting battery that can capture up to 950 shots per go.
- The camera is portable, with a product size of 7 x 12.4 x 9.7 cm.
- The screen size is 3 inches, with a resolution of 24 MP.
- It has a 16.7 optical zoom to capture distant objects.
- The camera can produce quality HD video and has manual control.
- The remote control of the camera using your smartphone is one of the unique features, and you can be part of the capture always.
- The camera can capture quality details images that are very far away, taking in all the details.
- The design of the camera is sleek and compatible, as you can carry it easily.
- You can use it on a tripod stand, and the focus is sharp and clear.
- Small size and outstanding battery life ensure easy carrying with you anytime and anywhere you want.
- The touch screen interface is such a great addition to the camera.
- The lens of the camera is heavy, and you should not use a small stand because of the weight of the lens.
- The autofocus is very disappointing for many users.
4. Nikon D3500 DSLR Camera – Double Lens for better capture
This Nikon D3500 comes with a new lens that enlarges the scope of what the camera can capture. You now have a new lens that now makes the camera suitable for more than capturing images and creating videos of person events and saving memories. You can now capture sports events, capture distant pictures clearly, and other angular views the single lens cannot capture.
As usual, if you can use your smartphone to capture images, then you can use this Nikon camera effectively as an amateur. You have to focus the camera on your intended target and shoot to capture quality images.
- You can never run out of space with the 16 GB memory card that comes with this camera.
- The camera is portable, with a dimension of 12.4 x 7 x 9.7 cm.
- The screen size is 3 inches, which is suitable for capturing quality images. The camera records high definition videos with voice capture in the presence of a mic on the camera.
- The camera is highly sensitive with a 100-25600 sensitivity range and can capture images at low light without distortion.
- You can connect with Wi-Fi, NFC, and Bluetooth to share images and videos.
- The product comes with a two years warranty.
- You never miss any moment as the shutter is fast, as you can capture five images in a second.
- The dual-lens enables you to capture more types of images, especially angles that the main lens cannot capture.
- One other advantage of this product is the ease of controlling the camera with your smartphone using software such as Snapbridge, which makes it easy to control the camera.
- The products come with a case which you can use to carry it easily.
- You never miss any moment as the camera captures an image faster with its quick shutter.
- Its build quality is worth the investment
- The range of options present on the camera enables you to play with the settings and choose your personalized settings.
- There is no geotagging feature on this camera, which limits its uses.
5. Nikon D7500 DSLR Camera – Best Nikon Camera for the Money
If you have gone beyond the beginner’s level and you want to upgrade to an advanced camera, then the Nikon 75000 is the choice for you. The camera is so advanced for beginners, and with a well-improved sensitivity range, it can capture clear images at very low light.
The features of this camera are very advanced, and this can be attributed to the high cost of the camera. But be assured that it is worth the price with speed up to 8 frames per second and 51 point focus system to capture clear images no matter the angle or distance.
- There is a 51 autofocus system in this camera, which ensures good focus even with a distant object.
- The speed of this camera is exceptional at eight frames per second.
- The camera boasts of a 20.9 megapixel and expeed five image processing engine for speed and quality images.
- The ISO range is 100 to 51000, which gives the camera the ability to produce a clear image in harsh conditions.
- You can connect with Snapbridge software to share your images instantly with other devices.
- The screen size is 3.2 inches, and the product dimension is 31.8 x 15.2 x 21.6 cm.
- The optical zoom is 5x and can capture a clear image at a distance.
- One of the best for video recording with 4K UHD Video recording at 30 fps.
- The camera makes use of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi for connecting with other devices.
- It has a shutter speed of 1/8000 seconds, which means you are not going to miss capturing anything.
- The camera is excellent in very low light in capturing images.
- The camera is durable, compact with wonderful design and built.
- It has a good battery and can last for a long time.
- With digital image stabilization, 4K recording, and great dynamic range, you will feel like handling a professional camera.
- Due to its size, one can easily carry this camera.
- The camera is not suitable for beginners.
- You will experience poor video quality
6. Nikon D750 DSLR Camera – Nikon camera for all-weather
The Nikon D750 is dust and water-resistant camera, which makes it one of the best for all weather conditions. The camera is sturdy and durable, with metal casing protecting some parts of the body with its unique and compact design.
The camera is one of the fastest cameras as it can capture 6.8 frames in a second with sharp and clear images. As have been mentioned earlier, it is one of the best cameras for all weather conditions, and you can use it for a long time with its redesign shutter to ensure batter last longer. With this long-lasting battery, you can capture more than 1000 images when fully charged.
- The camera is the first fx-format DSLR to feature to produce quality images.
- The 24.3megapixel and expected four processing engines help in producing quality images.
- The screen size is 3 inches, while the product dimension is 47.4 x 33.2 x 16.6 cm.
- The ISO is 100 to 12800 and expandable from 50 to 51000.
- There is built-in Wi-Fi connectivity for easy sharing of images and videos.
- You never miss a moment with its high speed of 6.5 frames per second.
- There is no battery packaged along for this camera. You can use the available preset settings to produce top cinematic videos.
- You feel comfortable, and your camera is secured with the built and type of camera.
- The camera produces exceptional quality images and videos, and it is very fast as you capture every moment.
- Robust built quality and ensure comfort while holding and handling.
- Fast-focusing, low light capture, easy buttons together combined to ensure satisfaction after purchasing.
- Good quality sensors ensure getting every detail of the picture.
- The camera is not suitable for use for beginners.
- The screen takes time to wake up
7. Nikon D7200 DSLR Camera – A camera built for the road
The Nikon D7200 digital camera is a sturdy camera, and it is built to withstand the toughest condition, so it is suitable for photographers on the road. The body of the camera is sturdy and protected with metal casing, which is dust and waterproof.
You can capture fast-moving objects with the focus of the camera, so it is good for wildlife filming and outdoor activities. The battery of the camera lasts longer than most as you can capture more than 1000 images and watch 80 minutes of a movie when fully charged.
- You never miss a moment with its speed at six frames per second.
- The camera allows Wi-Fi and NFC connection with IOS or Android devices.
- The camera is weather-sealed to keep away dust and water; thus, it is suited for different conditions.
- The material used in making the body is magnesium alloy, which makes the camera durable.
- The battery last longer to be able to shoot 1110 images or record video of 80 minutes at a go.
- The screen size is 3.2 inches, and the product dimension is 7.6 x 13.6 x 10.7 cm.
- You can enjoy unlimited continuous shooting with this camera.
- It ensures enhanced visibility with its optical viewfinder.
- You can easily share images on your social media platforms when you download the suitable Wi-Fi connectivity software.
- The camera offers continuous shooting for more creativity in photography.
- The battery life is very impressive, especially for those on the move.
- You can work with this camera in any weather condition.
- The camera is durably made up of protective materials.
- Fifty-one focus points ensure tracking the moving objects.
- Great low light features ensure capturing high-quality images.
- The minor downside with this camera is that there is no touch screen.
- The camera does not have a tilt screen.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which Nikon cameras are suitable for all weather conditions?
The suitable camera that can withstand all weather conditions has to be dust and waterproof, and they include Nikon D750 24.3 MP Digital SLR Camera with 24-120 4G VR Kit + Free Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L AW and Nikon D7200 24.2MP Digital SLR Camera Body Only.
2. How can one share the images from my Nikon compact camera to my smartphones?
You can share the images using built-in Bluetooth at low energy with the installation of SnapBridge. You can also store images on the Nikon space online if the camera is compatible with this feature.
3. Which of the Nikon compact camera is suitable for capturing images at night?
The Nikon D3400 Digital Camera comes with night vision features, and it can produce a clear image at low light. So if you plan on taking photos at night or in a low light environment, then this is the best option for you.
4. Which Nikon DSLR Camera is best for beginners?
When looking for cameras suitable for beginners, the camera has to be easy to handle, compatible, and lightweight. The camera should be point and shoot with the focus easy to direct at the object of interest. The Nikon D3500 and the Nikon D5300 are two of the most suitable cameras for beginners for their ease in use.
5. Which Nikon Camera can be remotely controlled?
The Nikon D5600 with AF-P 18-55 mm + AF-P 70-300 mm VR Kit with Bag and 16GB Memory Card Free can be controlled using a smartphone. With Bluetooth connectivity, the smartphone can be used to control the camera. You can easily stand in front of the camera and record or capture quality pictures of yourself.
6. What software is suitable to use with a camera for sharing images and videos?
You can easily share the images you capture on your camera with your smartphone using the Snapbridge. This software is compatible with most cameras and smartphones for easily sharing of images and videos.
With the quality of images and videos being captured by the Nikon DSLR cameras, one does not need a course in photography to capture quality images. Nikon makes photography easy for both newbies and professionals alike, as you can point and shoot and come out with quality images.
These quality images are due to the excellent features that you will find in these cameras. With the review of the top 10 Nikon DSLR cameras, choices can be made easily based on the preference and purposes of using the camera. However, to make it even easier for you, our top three expect pick includes Nikon D5300, Nikon D3400, and Nikon D5600. With the analyses of their features, the advantages and disadvantages of using the camera, it is easy to select the ones that meet your needs.