Best 9 Camcorders In India
Don’t you love to relive the momentous moments spend with your friends and family while vacationing at a beach or exploring the gorgeous natural landscapes?
A camcorder comes in handy in such scenarios as it easily turns you into a videographer for recording amazing videos for longer durations without any hassles. It is unlike DSLR cameras that have shorter maximum record times. Thus, you never miss a moment with a camcorder.
Designed specifically for shooting videos, the camcorders have tilt-and-swivel screens and built-in zoom lenses. A camcorder comes with enhanced ergonomics so that you can shoot high-quality videos comfortably by holding it for longer periods of time.
The first section will comprehensively cover how these camcorder cameras work, Formats of a camcorder, while the second and third sections will look at how to choose the best camcorder and the currently available models on the market, respectively.
In the end, you will also find a few FAQs
Top 9 Best Camcorders in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Efficient, top optics
Enhanced image quality
Enhanced image quality
Durable, top-notch optics
Durable, top-notch optics
Enhanced image quality, solid build
Great feature set for professionals
Reliable, great functional features
Now let’s talk about the available formats associated with analog and digital camcorders.
Analog camcorders record signals in the form of an analog track on a magnetic videotape. This implies that every instance you create a copy of that tape, the quality of the tape gets depleted.
Expectedly, analog formats come short of the wide range of impressive features seen in digital camcorders. The major difference between analog formats relates to the type of videotape used by the camcorder and the associated resolution.
Standard VHS devices utilize regular tape which runs on standard VCRs. A key advantage of this is that the tape can be used on a wide range of VCRs.
VHS tapes are generally less costly and tend to come in with greater space, which means more recording time. The main disadvantage is that they are relatively bulky, and the large size comes with the need for a larger camcorder.
They have a lower resolution than the current standard range.
These camcorders store information on standard VHS tapes which take a more portable and compact cassette.
It’s possible to play the VHS-C on a standard VCR, but it requires some sort of an adaptor device that plays the tape through a full cassette.
However, compared to VHS, the level of compatibility is usually the same. The small size implies less sizeable designs, thus making VHS-C camcorders more manageable when it comes to portability.
When operating in short play mode, the tapes can accommodate 30-45 minutes of video. In extended mode, they accommodate up to 90 minutes, but this comes at the cost of quality.
These generally have the same size as VHS-C as they come in similarly sized tapes. The key difference lies in the tape’s resolution.
Super VHS tapes record at considerably higher resolutions than VHS tapes. wwHowever, these tapes cannot be played on standard VCRs.
Since the camcorder is a VCR, it can be connected directly to your television or the VCR to play as a standard VHS copy.
This is a more portable version of the VHS-C format. These camcorders utilize the ultra-portable 8mm tapes. The tapes have identical resolutions to VHS, but they generally have better sound quality.
They accommodate up to 2 hours of space, but they tend to come expensive.
In terms of compatibility, you can watch them on your TV set but only when you connect the camcorder to your television set as a standard VCR.
Digital camcorders are different from their analog cousins in the sense that they store information in bytes, as opposed to magnetic patterns. The videos can also be extracted to a computer where it can be edited and get uploaded on the Internet.
Digital video is superior in terms of resolution and practicality as it can easily work on a wide range of devices.
These camcorders store information on portable and compact cassettes, which are usually expensive and accommodate space of up to 90 minutes.
The resolution is exceptionally high, and the file can be transferred to an external device such as a computer. These camcorders are portable with some weighing as little as a paperback novel.
Another exciting ability is that they can easily produce still images, just like the digital camera.
These resemble the DV camcorder, but they use Hi-8mm tapes, which makes them less costly. They typically accommodate up to 60 minutes of space and can be copied without any loss when it comes to overall quality.
Like it is with DV camcorders, they can integrate with computers where you can edit your images further.
These are relatively rare compared to other types. Unlike analog camcorders, these burn video data on discs. The key advantage associated with this format is that each session is stored in the form of a track in a similar fashion to songs on a CD.
It eliminates the need for rewinding and fast-forwarding by providing users the ability to jump to the desired section of the video.
The general performance is similar to miniDV models, but the picture quality is slightly better, and they tend to have more space which can extend to around 2 hours.
The times have seen the advent of camcorders that can store information directly to digital storage devices such as flash drives.
Now let us have a look at the key components you need to consider when choosing your camcorder.
Generally, there are five main things that should be placed under consideration.
The lens is an indispensable part of the decision-making process, as it is the part responsible for directing light to the sensors.
Poor lens means poorly directed light, and this drastically affects the image quality, no matter how good the sensor is.
Camcorders within the lower price range incorporate a simpler lens with an automated focus system that offers medium level quality.
High-end camcorders incorporate lenses which are usually made of high-grade glass, with a longer focal length, enhanced manual and automated focus systems, and lens interchangeability.
CCD and number of chips
CCD (charged couple device) is a key component of the camcorder and the number of CCDs directly affects the quality of the resultant image.
If you are willing to spend some more for a high-quality camcorder, you can consider the three-chip devices as they offer the best image quality.
However, if you are on a budget, a standard CCD can do the job just fine.
As we’ve discussed at length in the previous section, camcorders come in a variety of formats and tapes which all have their advantages and disadvantages.
The format affects the overall size of the camcorder, quality of the images and space/recording time.
For instance, analog formats can be cheaper, but they tend to be inferior to digital formats in terms of quality and recording time.
In general, with the advancement of technology towards digitalization, it’s best to start with considering digital formats as they offer a lot more.
There are two aspects to this: physical and functional durability.
Physically, it is important to take note of the materials used as well as the overall quality of construction.
All great camcorders come with a cohesive construction with durable material which can be in a myriad of forms, from metallic to hard plastic.
The functional aspect may be a little more tricky to analyze, but as a beginner, you can take care of this by ensuring that you are getting your model from a credible manufacturer, and has some great reviews to back it up.
This is an indispensable part of any decision to buy a camcorder, especially when you are ordering it online.
The warranty protects you from being a victim of defective products by offering a period in which you can return the device. The warranty terms vary depending on the manufacturer, and they range from 1 to several years.
Best 9 Camcorders In India
1. GoPro Hero7 camcorder – Our Pick
If you are in for an ultra-portable camcorder with enough power for high quality still and motion images, this popular gadget has a lot offer.
Its excellent waterproof properties have also made it a popular device among adventurers and hikers.
Let’s jump into the key features.
- Weight and size: 118 g, 6.2 x 4.4 x 3.2 cm
- Video resolution: 4K
- Still image resolution: Up to 12MP.
- Focal length: 15.1mm
- Shutter speed: Up to 30s.
- Storage: 256GB.
- Video format: MP4.
- LCD screen: 1.95″ diagonal.
- Audio: wav audio format, 3.5mm Audio jack (Mic to be purchased separately)
- Connectivity: IEE Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, cloud upload (with subscription).
- Waterproof properties: Can be immersed underwater up to 10m.
- Power features: It utilizes a 1220mAh lithium-ion battery (removable).
- Portable and easy to operate.
- Advanced waterproof properties.
- Powerful resolution for both video and still images.
- Ample storage space.
- Comprehensive connectivity profile.
- The optical zooming and magnification aren’t quite suited to professional usage.
2. SJCAM-SJ4000 – Efficient, top optics
The SJCAM-SJ4000 is another great option built for convenience and efficiency for both amateurs and those who want to go pro. Top-notch features and durable design makes it a clear favorite.
- Weight and size: 481 g, 23.6 x 11.4 x 6.4 cm.
- LCD: 2.0 LTPS
- Lens type: 170 Angled Lens.
- Resolution: Up to 16 Megapixels for still image, 4K for videos.
- Video format: MOV
- Connectivity: USB (2.0), IEEE 802.11 WIFI.
- Power: battery operated, Lithium-ion.
- High video and still image resolution.
- Durable material and construction.
- Lightweight and easy to operate.
- You can directly transfer files to your mobile using Wi-Fi.
- Fewer compatible video formats.
- Not exactly ideal for intensive video shooting.
3. Canon Vixia HF R800 – Powerful optics, solid construction
The renowned Canon Vixia HF R800 has proven to be one of the most durable devices with an impeccable ability to produce high-quality videos on top of being one of the most convenient devices on the market.
- Resolution: High Definition
- Television System: NTSC
- Video Recording system: MPEG-4
- Image Sensor: 1/4.85-inch CMOS, RGB Primary Colour Filter
- Total number of Pixels: Approx. 3.28 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Video: 2.07 Megapixels (1920 x 1080), Still images: 2.07 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
- Maximum recording Time: Up to 2hrs for full HD recording at 35Mbps.
- Exceptional video quality due to high-resolution rating.
- Enhanced video recording time.
- Durable construction.
- Convenient and easy to use.
- Great image stabilizer.
- Hefty price tag.
4. Sony Action FDR-X3000 – Enhanced image quality
The Sony Action FDR-X3000 reminds us of the premium quality products that Sony offers. This camcorder offers a multitude of features in a compact and sleek design that is attractive to look at.
Let’s plunge into the details.
- Dimensions (W X H X D): Approx. 29.4 x 47.0 x 83.0 mm (Approx. 1 3/16 x 1 7/8 x 3 3/8 in).
- Weight: 114 g (including supplied battery).
- Sensor type: Exmor R CMOS Sensor.
- Effective pixels (Video): Approx. 8.2 Megapixels.
- Effective Pixels (still image) : Approx. 8.2 Megapixels.
- Lens Type: ZEISS® Tessar.
- Focal Length: 35MM for Video and 35 MM for still image.
- Minimum focus distance: 50cm.
- Exposure mode: Multi-segment.
- White balance modes: AUTO/Color Temp/Custom.
- Speed: Up to 1/10,000.
- Image processor: BIONZ X™ image processor.
- Waterproof: Up to 60m with supplied Underwater Housing (MPK-UWH1).
- Resolution: High definition, Still image: 12.0 Megapixels.
- Microphone: Built-in stereo microphone.
- Interface: Card slot, HDMI, USB, Stereo jack.
- Power features: 3.6 V ( Battery: NP-BX1).
- Continuous Recording Time: 125-135 mins.
- Top of the line optics: The camcorder has a high-end lens and sensor system.
- Great image processor to complement the advanced optical system for great image quality.
- Impressive battery life.
- Highly portable and convenient features.
- Ample connectivity options.
- Lack of an inbuilt screen.
- Relatively highly-priced.
5. Panasonic HC-V270 Super Zoom Full HD Camcorder
Panasonic HC-V270 is a Full HD camcorder that features super zoom functionality. It features powerful 90X intelligent zooming for bringing distant subjects closer for shooting.
It comes with 5-axis hand-shake detection for accurate recording. Its level shot function helps in maintaining the beauty of your pictures. It features robust Wi-fi connectivity that helps in remote shooting, quick connection, and effortless sharing with smartphones.
- Panasonic HC-V270 is equipped with intelligent 90X zoom and optical 50X zoom for capturing clear images of distant subjects while shooting.
- It features a level-shot function that helps in automatic detection and correction of the tilting of captured images.
- It has a 5-axis hybrid O.I.S. that employs five-axis correction for minimizing the blurring from wide-angle to powerful zoom shots.
- This camcorder comes with the BSI sensor that allows you to record high-quality, bright, and low noise images in dim as well as bright lighting conditions.
- It provides a 28mm wide-angle that capture more background with more people into the frame.
- With its still picture recording mode, you can shoot with a max resolution of 10 megapixels.
- This camcorder comes with a powerful iA (intelligent Auto) function that senses the shooting conditions automatically changes the settings and starts the functions for giving optimal results.
- You can adjust the white balance and exposure compensation with its iA plus mode.
- It comes with a rechargeable battery and a Live MOS sensor. It also supports external memory.
- It provides you excellent creative control for shooting impressive video recordings with various filter effects such as miniature effects, time-lapse recording, silent movie, and 8mm movie.
- It supports the “Panasonic Image App” that allows you to do remote shooting by operating it from a distance using your tablet or Smartphone as a remote controller.
- It comes with a remote view functionality that enables you to view photos and videos captured with a camcorder on your tablet or smartphone.
- Depending on the shooting conditions, you can adjust the settings to any one of three levels including Strong, Normal, or OFF.
- It allows you to capture clear and crisp images without any blurring in various shooting conditions.
- It provides one-touch connectivity with a tablet or smartphone using NFC. Moreover, you can set-up quick and easy Wi-Fi settings by using a QR code.
- With this camcorder, you can record beautiful images under various conditions like nightscapes and indoor scenes.
- It comes with a powerful mic that can capture even small sounds.
- It is suitable for capturing group photo in a small room.
- It does not support external mic input.
6. Sony HDRCX405 Handycam – Durable, top-notch optics
Sony is well known for its high-quality products in the electronics industry, and their camcorders are no different. The Sony HDRCX405 is very reliable, user friendly and has impeccable efficiency.
- Dimensions (W X H X D): 54.0 mm (W) × 59.5 mm (H) × 128.0 mm (D).
- Weight: 190g.
- Sensor type: 1/5.8 in (3.1 mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor.
- Effective pixels (Video) : 2.29 Megapixels (16:9)2 (still image) : 2.29 Megapixels.
- Lens Type: ZEISS Tessar.
- Focal Length: 35mm for Video and 35mm Still image.
- Minimum focus distance: approx. 13/32″ (Wide), approx. 31 1/2″ (Tele), approx. 1 cm (Wide), approx. 80 cm (Tele).
- Optical zoom: 30x.
- The LCD screen of 2.7 inches.
- Angle adjustment: Opening Angle: max. 90 deg., Turning Angle: max. 270 deg.
- Storage Media: Micro SDXC, AVCHD, SD/SDHC/SDXC.
- Recording format(video): AVCHD format ver. 2.0 compatible: MPEG4-AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, XAVC S format MPEG4-AVC/H264.
- Video resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- High-quality video output.
- Comes with a built-in USB cable for easy transfer of files and videos.
- Durable construction and functional system.
- Powerful lens and image sensor.
- Intelligent auto mode.
- It has good face detection and noise reduction function.
- Inflated price tag.
7. Panasonic HC-V270 – Enhanced image quality, solid build
The Panasonic-HC-V270 is a great choice if you are willing to spend a bit more on a highly advanced but relatively portable device. It has good build quality along with a host of other features.
- Size and weight: Dimensions: 53 x 59 x 116 mm, 216g.
- Image Sensor: 1/5.8-inch BSI MOS.
- Total Pixels: 2.51 megapixels.
- Effective Pixels : Motion Image: 2.20 megapixels, still image: up to 2.2 megapixels.
- Optical Zoom: 50x, Digital Zoom: 150 x / 500 x
- Focal Length: 2.06 103 mm
- Shutter Speed: Auto Slow Shutter ON: 1/25 1/8000, Auto Slow Shutter OFF: 1/50 1/8000(motion image)
- Recording Media: SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card.
- Recording Image Size: JPEG (DCF/Exif2.2).
- Power Supply: 3.6V (Battery) / 5.0V (AC Adaptor).
- LCD Monitor: 2.7-inch Wide LCD monitor (230,400 dots).
- Interface: AVY, HDMI, Microphone (stereo mini), headphone (stereo mini), USB: 2.0 Hi-Speed.
- Connectivity: Wifi IEEE 802.11bgn.
- Impressive optics for enhanced image quality.
- Top-notch video resolution.
- Lightweight and practical size for prolonged usage.
- Versatile interface and connectivity.
- Durable construction.
- Ample convenience features.
- Provides good value for money
- Average recording time for a camcorder of its price and quality.
8. Sony-HXR-NX5R Professional Camcorder – Great feature set for professionals
If you are willing to invest a little more on a high-end camcorder, the Sony-HXR-NX5R has a lot in store to warrant some careful consideration.
It the perfect combination of reliability and performance, as evidenced by the superior construction and an impeccable functional feature set.
- Weight and size: 2500g, 1176.0 × 199.5 × 385.0 mm.
- Lens Mount: Fixed.
- Zoom Ratio: 20x (optical), 40x(Clear Image Zoom), servo/manual.
- Focal Length: 705mm.
- Imaging sensor: Exmor CMOS.
- Shutter Speed: 1/3 -1/10,000.
- Media Type: Memory Stick Pro Duo(TM) and SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible (x1) SD/SDHC/SDXC (x1).
- Power Consumption: 7.5 W.
- Battery Operating Time: 240 min.
- Recording Format (video): MPEG4-AVC
- It incorporates a powerful sensor and lens.
- High-end resolution.
- Impressive battery life for a camcorder of its size.
- It incorporates a great array of feedback mechanisms such as an amply featured electronic viewfinder.
- It features an abundance of convenience features.
- Durable construction.
- It is bulky.
- It comes with a hefty price.
9. Canon XC10 Professional Camcorder – Reliable, great functional features
The Canon XC10 has a highly advanced feature set and design for both professionals and casual vloggers. A highly efficient lens system and an abundant supply of modern functional features are some of the highlights.
- Dimensions: 131x115x238mm, Weight: 1040g.
- Horizontal Resolution: 1600 lines or more (4K Recording), 800 or more (Full HD recording).
- Zoom ratio: 10x.
- Focal length: Video Mode: 8.9 89mm (27.3-273mm 35mm equivalent).
- Minimum focus distance: 50cm across entire zoom range; approx. 8cm at wide macro setting.
- Zoom control: Manual. 35mm conversion markers provided.
- Focus control: AF, Face detection and tracking, Push AF, AiAF (Photo Mode) Manual focus ring.
- Image stabilization system: Optical (lens shift) + electronic stabilization.
- Digital zoom: No Digital Zoom. 2 x Digital Teleconverter via assignable button.
- Type: DIGIC DV 5
- Video storage media: 4K: CFast 2.0™ card, VPG130 supported; Full HD/Photo: SD card (Class 10 recommended for 50Mbps).
- Monitoring Panel Type: Capacitive touch screen LCD.
- Size: 3-Inch /7.66cm.
- Image quality adjustments: Brightness and backlight.
- HDMI: Output only.
- USB: mini-B, Hi-speed, output only.
- Live view image Resolution: 680 x 383; Simplified setting: 284 x 160.
- Highly advanced optics: It features a highly efficient lens and image sensor system.
- Solid construction with superior build material.
- Above-average battery life.
- It features a highly versatile system with an edge in both image and video processing.
- It comes with a high upfront cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What’s the best camcorder?
Determining the best model is about defining your individual needs, and tailoring your choice to those needs.
This means that there is no single best model for all although some models are obviously quite advanced.
2. Which key factors influence the quality of the image?
The primary factors include the lens, sensors and the quality of construction between the lens and the optical viewfinder.
It may be a traditional device; however, it comes packed with several advanced features such as built-in neutral density filters, longer maximum recording times, and exceptional video ergonomics. It also has a built-in mic for recording good audio while shooting videos.
The camcorders are still immensely popular for video shooting as they are simpler to use and they feel great for handheld shooting. Won’t you be thrilled if you can shoot an entire concert or a football game without any interruptions?
Out of our listed products, the top picks are: GoPro HERO7, Canon VIXIA HF R800 and Sony HDRCX405.