360 Degree Camera
360-degree cameras are the latest babies in the photography world. With the ability to capture light from all angles, they provide a magnificent panoramic view of the visual field and produce spherical images as well as videos.
Most media sites like Facebook and Youtube have started accepting 360-degree content. With it, you can edit your photos and videos and upload them directly on such websites from wherever you are.
The feature of multiple lenses is the secret to how 360-degree cams work. Now that smartphones are on a quest to integrate higher-quality imaging into their gadgets, most camera companies are offering high-resolution performance in low light at budget-friendly rates.
360-degree imagery truly mesmerizes you with its picture quality, and once you see such wonderful panoramic views, you can’t deny the fact that technology can take you places. Also, refer camera’s under 10,000, point and shoot cameras, Universal Travel Adapters for Tech-savvy
Top 10 360 Degree Camera
Types of 360 Camera
A 360-degree camera comes in 2 types:
This type of 360 camera uses two back-to-back cameras or a handful of cameras that cover multiple fields of view to produce flat images. That can then be viewed as photos or videos.
They are specially designed for VR content. If you want higher resolution images, monoscopic is the one for you.
In a decent camera, the ‘stitching’ lines developed as a result of using multiple cams should not be visible. Otherwise, they might create a blurry effect in the photo or video.
A stereoscopic 360 camera comes with a lower output resolution than the monoscopic one since it uses two side-by-side videos that must split the resolution of the screen.
It uses either two cameras or four cameras (two cameras per field of view) to create 360 content that offers a better perception of depth. So for a 3D experience, the stereoscopic camera is the right choice.
Buyer’s Guide for 360 Degree Camera
The objective of buying a 360-degree camera is that it should take the best possible quality spherical images.
The main features to focus on when choosing which 360 cameras to buy are the ones that ensure the camera takes clear, high quality, fully 360° image and video that looks great on a VR headset, Facebook, and YouTube.
The Resolution of Images and Videos
Unlike normal cameras where 1080p is the required standard video resolution, a 360-degree camera should have at least 4k video resolution so that it appears HD quality.
The resolution of 360-degree photographs should be at least 15 megapixels.
Check the compatibility of the 360-degree camera before you make a purchase. It should be compatible with your Android and iOS devices so that you can share, edit, and transfer your videos and pictures easily.
Stitching is the process where two overlapping fields are combined in a single photo.
It is essential that after multiple field pictures are stitched, they appear as one or whole. The line where the two images meet should not be distinct. A good quality 360-degree image should be one without this juncture line.
When you are planning on a 360-degree camera, you should find out what “full 360-degree” means because some cameras brand themselves as ‘360-degree cameras’ but offer only a limited field of view.
360-degree photos and videos should have that ‘spherical effect’ otherwise there wouldn’t be much difference between these cameras and traditional cams.
The number of lenses
You should always go for that camera which provides a higher number of lenses. More lenses mean that each lens has to cover less space to produce the full image, so automatically the quality of the picture improves.
Most 360-degree cameras have two lenses, and they can produce amazing results.
The Battery Life
The 360-degree camera that you pick up should be able to last long enough for your photography of the day before you recharge it again.
It is very convenient that while buying a prospective cam, you go through the battery specifications.
The camera should be outdoor-friendly
Since a 360-degree camera is mainly used for outside purposes, one should also check whether it is dust-proof and splash-proof.
There should be enough casings in the camera for full protection.
Ease of Use
When you obtain a 360 Degree camera, you would want it to be light-weight and easy to carry. Portability is one of the most vital attributes of a camera. It is also essential that the camera comes with excellent software for you to make the necessary editing.
This is a significant characteristic of your 360 Degree camera if you decide to make use of it while in motion. Your chosen camera should be able to significantly lower the vibrations to prevent the distortion of the quality of your image or video.
A good camera should be accompanied with internal hard drives. It is recommended to choose a 360 Degree camera that offers Expandable or Micro SD Slot. This will ensure the camera’s accessibility.
Top 10 360 Degree Cameras
1. Insta360 ONE X 360° Camera
The Insta360 One X is compatible with both Android and iOS devices. It comes with flow state stabilization allowing you to capture perfect shots even in motion. The free flow stabilization reduces distortion so that you obtain a clear and smooth high-quality video.
The camera also has a light-weight design, enabling you to carry it around with you. With the drift mode, you will be able to capture even the most impossible shots at various angles. You can also use the One X app to merge your favorite shots and add effects and music to it.
- Weight of the camera: 90.7 grams.
- The camera has a resolution of 5.7 K.
- Captures 18 MP shots with stunning picture quality.
- WiFi transfer speed is 5 GHz.
- Comes with a cable transfer speed of 50 Mb/sec.
- Compatible with both Android and iOS devices.
- It comes with slo-mo and Hyper lapse features for decreasing and increasing the speed of shots.
- Enables you to take drift shots.
- 1-year warranty with an additional three years of service and support from Insta360.
- Allows you to edit by merging your favorite clips and adding effects and music, using the One X app.
- Comes with flow state stabilization for smooth and sharp shots.
- WiFi preview option is available.
- It is a bit uncomfortable to use.
- Gets heated up quickly.
2. Garmin Virb 360
Garmin Virb 360 is a Spherical Action Camera that is vastly known for its innovative designs.
With the robust build, this model will feel tough as soon as you take it out of the box.
It comes with built-in microphones that can capture spatial audio as well!
Let’s have a look at the properties that make it unique.
- Resolution: 5.7K/ 30 fps unstitched, 4K/ 30 fps in-camera stitching
- Four built-in microphones
- 4K Spherical Stabilization
- 1.08 Screen Size
- 1 Lithium Polymer Battery
- 360 Degree Audio Capture
- Built-in sensors aid 360 Degree Augmented Reality
- Free VIRB Mobile app and VIRB Edit desktop software to edit, share and add data overlays to videos
- Battery Life is way too low
- Video Quality is insufficient
3. Insta360 ONE X with FlowState Stabilization
When it comes to best 360 Degree Cameras, this is our top choice.
This model comes with only two buttons, making stand-alone operations convenient for the users.
Let’s take a look at its features, along with its pros and cons.
- 5.7K Type Camera
- 6080 x 3040 (18 MP) Image Resolution
- Flow State Stabilization helps to decrease the shaking
- Drift shots
- Time Shift
- 50 MB/s Cable Transfer
- 5 GHz Transfer Speed
- 1200 mAh Li-ion Battery
- 1-year Manufacturer Warranty
- Sharp Photo and Smooth Video Quality
- Wi-Fi Preview and Transfer are available
- Removable battery providing better endurance
- 60 Minutes Battery Life
4. Insta360 Air 360 Degree Dual 3K lens
This camera supports a video resolution of 2560 x 1280 and a photo resolution of 3008 x 150.
You can also share a live 360-degree video on any platform like YouTube and real-time sharing on any social media site like Facebook, Twitter, Messenger, and even Skype.
The Insta360 Air is portable, and users can attach it to their own devices to capture their cherished moments. The design of this product is sleek and fashionable and aimed at the new generation.
- Video Resolution: 2560 x 1280 (some cell phones support 3008 x 1504) @30fps and Photo Resolution: 3008 x 1504(3k)
- One lithium-ion battery is required
- The smartphone should support OTG
- Compatible with Android 5.1 or above
- System on Chip(SOC): Qualcomm: 600 Series or 800 Series
- Extremely light for effortless attachment to mobile phones (45.4 g)
- Easy to use and portable
- Allows real-time sharing almost everywhere!
- Compatible with most smartphones
- Very user-friendly for people who want to upload content to social media
- Picture/video quality is not ideal for VR
- Hardly useful without internet connectivity
5. Ricoh Theta M15 360 Degree Spherical Panorama Camera (White)
The Ricoh Theta M15 is simply superb for capturing spherical images. It allows dedicated apps and video tools for download so that consumers can have the best experience while editing and sharing their beautiful moments.
You can also share your original street view by posting images taken with RICOH THETA to Google MapsTM. You can also post spherical images to Google+TM and share them with friends.
Three minute long videos (with sound) can be recorded with a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec to 1/15 sec. This camera has both manual and interval shooting functions.
- Shutter speed: Still image: 1/8000 sec. To 1/7.5 sec, Video: 1/8000 sec. to 1/15 sec
- Fast WiFi transfer
- Wireless sharing
- Equipped with an SDK – allows users to develop their Apps
- Battery average life: Approx. 200 photos *3 (lithium-ion battery)
- Manual and interval shooting functions available
- Blurring function enables you to maintain privacy while sharing images
- Compatible with Windows and Mac
- Extremely fast with amazing spherical videos
- You can zoom both photos and videos (while they are playing)
- Image transfer is simple and easy
- Light and portable
- Excellent stitching
- Since there are lenses on two sides, need to be careful while using the cam
- Image quality is not excellent
6. Ricoh Theta SC 360 video and still camera (Sand)
This is a high-resolution camera which provides fully spherical 360-degree images and video.
With an amazing intuitive operation, the Ricoh Theta SC 360 has a new and improved user interface which makes content-sharing a breeze.
Currently, one of the best in the market, it allows both Android and IOS compatibility.
Also, Theta+ apps are available for both image and video editing. A US-imported product, the Ricoh Theta SC 360 should be on your wishlist or rather, in your cart.
- Bright F2.0 lens for flawless photos (and videos!)
- Wi-Fi enabled
- Intuitive operation
- Lithium-ion battery
- Compatible with both Android and IOS
- Effortless editing with the Theta+ App (for spherical photos) and Theta+V App (for spherical videos)
- Unique sand-colored product designed in a cool style
- Excellent for both personal and business purposes
- Battery life is good
- Editing apps are commendable
- The camera is compact and simple to use
- Ability to take 360-degree pictures is commendable
- The camera body is sleek and slippery so you may need a strap or holder for proper grip
- Chromatic aberration may be noticed in some cases
- GPS sensor is absent
7. Ricoh Theta V 360 Spherical Camera
The Ricoh Theta V is ideal for shooting high definition, smooth 360-degree videos of 4k.
It includes a new image sensor and processor for improved image quality and allows the camera to produce more realistic “as-if-you-were-there” 360-degree content.
It can be connected to Android or IOS based smartphone or tablet via the Theta S app. It has high-speed data transfer capability with up to 2.5 times faster than the previous Theta models.
Theta V prides in having the world’s first remote playback capability in a commercially-marketed, fully spherical camera.
Even though, though it is on the pricey side, the Theta V is flexible, compact, and easy to carry and provides an outstanding shooting experience with its new and spectacular features.
- 4K videos with the H.264 file format for video recording
- A 4-channel microphone that supports 360 Degree spatial audio recording (omnidirectional audio recording)
- Compatible with Android as well as IOS
- World’s first remote playback capable 360-degree camera
- Enables BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) for efficient smartphone connectivity
- Wireless display adapter
- 3D Microphone TA-1 (optional) scheduled for launch with the camera will allow users to pick up a natural sound with a large volume of information at low to high frequency
- Lightweight, compact and extremely easy to use and operate
- Power consumption is efficient
- High-speed file transfer capability
- Theta S app for editing and sharing is really good
- High definition and smooth image and video quality
- Amazing color accuracy
- Audio requirements are taken care of in this model
- Stichting artifacts may result in doubled image
- High price
8. KODAK PIXPRO ORBIT360 4K 360° VR Camera Satellite Pack
This camera from Kodak is a 360-degree VR camera with two fixed-focus lenses housed in a futuristic body.
With this 4k resolution VR camera satellite pack, anybody who wants to indulge in serious, professional videography.
Three multi-view angles of 360 degrees allow endless possibilities to capture panoramic views and upload them on social media sites with utmost ease and simplicity.
- 360 Degree VR camera with two fixed-focus lenses
- Dual 20MP CMOS sensors
- Three multi-view angles of 360 Degree Spherical VR Mode and 197 Degree 4K Ultra Wide Mode and 235 Degree Dome Mode
- Lithium-ion battery
- Live streaming via Wi-Fi
- 3-in-1 Camera
- Lots of accessories to choose from
- Dustproof and shockproof
- Good photo and video editing capabilities
- Suitable for professionals
- Stitching is not so good
- Not easy to use and operate
- Only jpg format, no raw pictures
9. Insta360 ONE 360 Camera
The Insta360 ONE 360 Camera, Sports, and Action Video Camera can shoot photo and video, at resolutions 4K and 24MP.
With the amazing FreeCapture technology, one can stream videos effortless into a 1080p frame which can be shared anywhere.
The camera also comes with multiple shooting modes and powerful in-app editors to give you flawless pictures and videos whenever and wherever you want.
This is one of the cameras that give stunning 360-degree results which are effortless to edit and share.
- Photo Resolution: 24 MP (6912*3456) and Photo Format: Insp, jpeg, RAW
- Video Resolution: 4K and Video format: insv?mp4?LOG
- FreeCapture technology (Little Planet mode)
- Built-in 6-axis gyroscope & gyroscope algorithm in the app
- 360 live-streaming on Facebook, Twitter, Periscope and other sites
- Compatible with iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6s/6s Plus, iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPhone SE, iPad Pro(10.5-inch), iPad(9.7-inch), iPad Pro(12.9-inch), iPad mini4, iPad Air 2
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled
- Editing can be done smoothly with the Insta360 One App
- Provides a bullet-time effect for epic shots
- Slant correction for smoother and sharper images
- Multiple shooting modes and powerful in-app editors
- Easy to use and share with iPhone/iPad
- Supports SD-card storage of maximum capacity of 128 GB
- The camera software has issues
- Insta remote and selfie stick has to be bought separately
10. Rylo HD Recording Cinematic Stabilization Camcorder
- Immersive 360-degree video-capturing ability with 4k resolution
- front back feature
- Built-in breakthrough stabilization and horizontal leveling
- Time-lapse control
- Directly wired file-transfer
- Video stabilization is excellent
- Amazing software built into the Rylo app
- Great battery life
- Direct wired transfer means fast file-sharing
- Effortless editing
- Solid build, impressive-looking device
- Very responsive customer service
- Low-light photo quality is not that great
- Software is sometimes buggy
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What can a 360 camera do?
A 360 camera is capable of capturing shots from all angles. It provides a panoramic view of the entire visual field. A 360 camera can also capture spherical images and videos in high-quality resolution.
Many cameras feature preview and transfer features. You can also use applications to edit the shots by merging them and adding effects or music.
2. Why should you get a 360-degree camera?
You should get a 360-degree camera as it gives you access to a visual field that covers 360 degrees. It is a popular camera which can be used for surveillance along with other scientific fields such as robotics.
3. How does a 360-degree camera work?
Usually, a 360-degree camera comes with dual lenses that capture two videos or images with a field view of 180 degrees. Now the camera may automatically stitch or merges the two files, or it may come with free companion software that merges them, in a single click.
4. What’s the difference between 360 and VR?
VR is a simulated environment created as the replications of a real place or as a fictional world. They consist of a headgear, sensors, and lenses. The smartphone is usually inserted into the VR headset mount to immerse you into the world of virtual reality.
On the other hand, a 360-degree camera is used for capturing real-life shots in a wide 360-degree visual field. They are also used for various scientific fields such as robotics. Both of these devices give you different experiences. However, they are viewed from the same headset technology.
5. What is a 360 Degree Image?
A 360 Degree image is the one that contains the view of all directions – left, right, up, down. It is usually the kind of image you see in Google Street View.
6. What is the best 360 Degree Camera App?
While some cameras offer their app, there are a few apps that are specially built for this device.
7. Is it challenging to use a 360 Degree Camera?
Not! Despite the advanced technology, a 360 Degree Camera is super easy to use.
It takes only a few easy steps to compete with the installation process. Capturing photos with this camera is effortless.
With all the 360-degree cameras available in the market, we have hundreds of features and options to choose from. If money is not an issue I would say go for the Ricoh Theta V 360 Spherical Camera as along with a high-resolution image and video quality, it has excellent sound features for audio as well.
If you want to experience the panoramic vista that a 360-degree camera is supposed to offer, the Richo Theta V 360 should top your list.
For a more consumer-friendly price tag and good overall performance, the Insta360 ONE X is a recommendable choice for day-to-day use, so that you instantly share all the priceless moments of your life with supreme convenience.
360-degree cameras are in the market, have you bought one yet for that out-of-the-world virtual reality experience?