Best 360 Degree Cameras
Whether you would like to capture breathtaking panoramic views or high-octane, action-packed sequences, a 360-degree camera is an answer. These cameras provide unparalleled image capturing and video shooting.
They come bundled with amazing editing features.
They have back-to-back fisheye lenses where each camera captures a 180 degrees angle of view. These two hemispherical images are then merged for producing a 360-degree spherical view.
They give your imagination wings and expand your creativity by enabling you to capture spherical images and videos. These cameras are your ideal companion for capturing mesmerizing and instagrammable moments.
Top Ten 360 Degree Cameras in India
Types of 360 Cameras
A 360-degree camera comes in 2 types:
This type of 360- degree camera uses two back-to-back cameras or a handful of cameras covering multiple fields of view to produce flat images. They can then be viewed as photos or videos.
They are specially designed for VR content. If you want higher resolution images, monoscopic is the one for you.
In a decent camera, the ‘stitching’ lines developed as a result of using multiple cameras. These lines should not be visible as they might create a blurry effect in the photo or video.
A stereoscopic 360 camera comes with a lower output resolution than the monoscopic one since it uses two side-by-side videos that split the resolution of the screen.
It uses either two cameras or four cameras (two cameras per field of view) to create 360 content that offers a better depth perception. So for a 3D experience, the stereoscopic camera is the right choice.
Buyer’s Guide for 360 Degree Cameras
The objective of buying a 360-degree camera is that it should take the best possible quality spherical images.
The main features to focus on when choosing which 360 cameras are the ones that ensure the camera takes clear, high quality, fully 360° image and video that looks great on a VR headset, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
The Resolution of Images and Videos
Unlike normal cameras where 1080p is the required standard video resolution, a 360-degree camera should have at least 4k video resolution to appear as HD quality.
The resolution of 360-degree photographs should be at least 15 megapixels.
Check the compatibility of the 360-degree camera before you make a purchase.
It should be compatible with your Android and iOS devices so that you can share, edit, and transfer your videos and pictures easily.
Stitching is the process where two overlapping fields are combined into a single photo.
It is essential that after multiple field pictures are stitched, they appear as one or whole.
The line where the two images meet should not be distinct. A good quality 360-degree image should be one without this juncture line.
When you plan to buy a 360-degree camera, you should find out what “full 360-degree” means because some cameras brand themselves as ‘360-degree cameras’ but offer only a limited field of view.
360-degree photos and videos should have that ‘spherical effect’ otherwise there wouldn’t be much difference between these cameras and traditional ones.
The number of lenses
You should always go for that camera which provides a higher number of lenses. More lenses mean that each lens has to cover less space to produce the full image, so automatically the picture’s quality improves.
Most 360-degree cameras have two lenses, and they produce amazing results.
The Battery Life
The 360-degree camera that you pick up should be able to last long enough for at least a day’s worth of photography.
It is important to check out the battery specifications while buying your camera.
The camera should be outdoor-friendly
Since a 360-degree camera is mainly used for outside purposes, one should also check whether it is dust-proof and splash-proof.
There should be enough casings in the camera for full protection.
Ease of Use
When you obtain a 360-degree camera, you would want it to be light-weight and easy to carry. Portability is one of the most vital attributes of a camera.
It is also essential that the camera comes with excellent software for you to make the necessary editing.
This is a significant characteristic of your 360-degree camera if you plan on using it while moving.
Your chosen camera should significantly lower the vibrations caused by movement to prevent the distortion of the quality of your image or video.
A good camera should be accompanied with internal hard drives.
It is recommended to choose a 360- degree camera that offers an expandable or micro SD slot. This will ensure the camera’s accessibility.
Top Ten 360 Degree Cameras
1. Insta360 ONE X 360° Camera
The Insta360 One X is compatible with both Android and iOS devices. It comes with flow state stabilization allowing you to capture perfect shots even in motion.
The free flow stabilization reduces distortion so that you obtain a clear and smooth high-quality video.
The camera also has a light-weight design, enabling you to carry it around with you. With the drift mode, you will be able to capture even the most impossible shots at various angles.
You can also use the One X app to merge your favourite shots and add effects and music to it.
- The camera has a resolution of 5.7 K
- Captures 18 MP shots with stunning picture quality
- WiFi transfer speed is 5 GHz
- Comes with a cable transfer speed of 50 Mb/sec
- Compatible with both Android and iOS devices
- It comes with slo-mo and Hyper lapse features for decreasing and increasing the speed of shots
- Enables you to take drift shots
- Weight of the camera: 115 grams
- 1-year warranty with an additional three years of service and support from Insta360
- Allows you to edit by merging your favourite clips and adding effects and music, using the One X app
- Comes with flow state stabilization for smooth and sharp shots
- WiFi preview option is available
- Gets heated up quickly
2. Garmin Virb 360
Garmin Virb 360 is a Spherical Action Camera that is known for its innovative designs. This model looks good with its robust build.
It comes with built-in microphones that can capture spatial audio as well. Let’s have a look at the features that make it unique.
- Resolution: 5.7K/ 30 fps unstitched, 4K/ 30 fps in-camera stitching
- Four built-in microphones
- 4K Spherical Stabilization
- 1.08 Screen Size
- 1 Lithium Polymer Battery
- 360 Degree Audio Capture
- Built-in sensors aid 360 Degree Augmented Reality
- Free VIRB Mobile app and VIRB Edit desktop software to edit, share and add data overlays to videos
- Battery Life is too low
- Video Quality could have been better
3. Insta360 Air 360 Degree Dual 3K lens
This camera supports a video resolution of 2560 x 1280 and a photo resolution of 3008 x 1504.
You can also share a live 360-degree video on any platform like YouTube and real-time sharing on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Messenger, and even Skype.
The Insta360 Air is portable, and users can attach it to their own devices to capture their cherished moments. The design of this product is sleek and fashionable and aimed at the new generation.
- Video Resolution: 2560 x 1280 (some phones support 3008 x 1504) @30fps and Photo Resolution: 3008 x 1504(3k)
- One lithium-ion battery is required
- The smartphone should support OTG
- Compatible with Android 5.1 or above
- System on Chip(SOC): Qualcomm: 600 Series or 800 Series
- Extremely light for effortless attachment to mobile phones (45.4 g)
- Easy to use and portable
- Allows real-time sharing almost everywhere
- Compatible with most smartphones
- User-friendly for people who want to upload content to social media
- Most features cannot be used without the Internet
4. Ricoh Theta M15 360 Degree Camera
The Ricoh Theta M15 is simply superb for capturing spherical images. It allows you to download apps and video tools so that you can enjoy editing and sharing your beautiful moments.
You can also share your original street view by posting images taken with RICOH THETA to Google MapsTM. You can also post spherical images to Google+TM and share them with friends.
Three minute long videos (with sound) can be recorded with a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec to 1/15 sec. This camera has both manual and interval shooting functions.
- Shutter speed: Still image: 1/8000 sec. To 1/7.5 sec, Video: 1/8000 sec. to 1/15 sec
- Fast WiFi transfer
- Wireless sharing
- Equipped with an SDK – allows users to develop their apps
- Battery average life: Approx. 200 photos *3 (lithium-ion battery)
- Manual and interval shooting functions available
- Blurring function enables you to maintain privacy while sharing images
- Compatible with Windows and Mac
- Extremely fast with amazing spherical videos
- You can zoom both photos and videos (while they are playing)
- Image transfer is simple and easy
- Light and portable
- Excellent stitching
- Since there are lenses on two sides, need to be careful while using the camera
5. GoPro MAX 360° Action Camera
GoPro Max is an advanced 360-degree action camera that captures high-quality images and videos. It includes microphones, and it serves as both a vlogging camera and an action camera.
It is an ideal camera that provides immense creative freedom for exceptional film making.
You can record your moments carefree and then edit your footage in the app. It is the most creative GoPro variant that features classical style, exceptional unbreakable stabilization, and sensational spherical capture expertise.
- It allows you to capture 360° videos and stills of whatever you want to shoot
- It enables you to snap a panoramic shot with a simple point and click mechanism
- You can capture your desired footage by choosing a digital lens
- It features six microphones that record immersive, high-quality and true-to-life 360° audio
- It is designed for providing you unbreakable stabilization with 180° capture as the sensational buffer
- You can operate it in a HERO mode for capturing silky-smooth cinematic visuals
- It is equipped with multi-functional capabilities through its 16.6 MP optical sensor resolution, 1080p video capture resolution for live streaming, 1x optical zoom, 2x digital zoom, and a maximum shutter speed of 1/28000 seconds
- It enables you to take awe-inspiring 270° distortion-free panoramic stills without scanning the horizon
- With its Max Superview feature, you can tap through 4 lenses for capturing linear, distortion-free, and narrow shots
- A 1600 mAh lithium-ion rechargeable battery powers it
- It is a high-end 360 degrees camera that shoots ultimate and dynamic videos clips
- It enables you to shoot single-lens HERO style videos with smooth stabilization
- It also allows you to easily edit and offload your 360 content with its in-camera stitching
- It features robust integration with the app
- You cannot capture traditional 4K videos with GoPro Max
6. Ricoh Theta SC 360 video and still camera
This is a high-resolution camera that provides fully spherical 360-degree images and videos.
With an amazing intuitive operation, the Ricoh Theta SC 360 has a new and improved user interface which makes content-sharing a breeze.
Also, Theta+ apps are available for both image and video editing. A US-imported product, the Ricoh Theta SC 360 should be on your wishlist or rather, in your cart.
- Bright F2.0 lens for flawless photos (and videos)
- Wi-Fi enabled
- Intuitive operation
- Lithium-ion battery
- Compatible with both Android and IOS
- Effortless editing with the Theta+ App (for spherical photos) and Theta+V App (for spherical videos)
- Excellent for both personal and business purposes
- Battery life is good
- Editing apps are commendable
- The camera is compact and simple to use
- The ability to take 360-degree pictures is commendable
- The camera body is sleek and slippery so you may need a strap or holder for proper grip
7. Ricoh Theta V 360 Spherical Camera
The Ricoh Theta V is ideal for shooting high definition, smooth 360-degree videos of 4k.
It includes a new image sensor and processor for improved image quality and allows the camera to produce more realistic “as-if-you-were-there” 360-degree content.
It can be connected to Android or IOS based smartphone or tablet via the Theta S app. It has high-speed data transfer capability with up to 2.5 times faster than the previous Theta models.
Theta V prides on having the world’s first remote playback capability in a commercially-marketed, fully spherical camera.
Even though it is on the pricey side, the Theta V is flexible, compact, and easy to carry and provides an outstanding shooting experience with its new and spectacular features.
- 4K videos with the H.264 file format for video recording
- A 4-channel microphone that supports 360 Degree spatial audio recording (omnidirectional audio recording)
- Compatible with Android as well as IOS
- World’s first remote playback capable 360-degree camera
- Enables BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) for efficient smartphone connectivity
- Wireless display adapter
- Lightweight, compact, and extremely easy to use and operate
- Power consumption is efficient
- High-speed file transfer capability
- Theta S app for editing and sharing is excellent
- Amazing colour accuracy
- Audio requirements are taken care of in this model
8. KODAK PIXPRO ORBIT360 4K VR Camera
This camera from Kodak is a 360-degree VR camera with two fixed-focus lenses housed in a futuristic body.
This 4k resolution VR camera satellite pack is perfect for those who want to indulge in serious, professional videography.
Three multi-view angles of 360 degrees allow endless possibilities to capture panoramic views and upload them on social media sites with utmost ease and simplicity.
- 360 Degree VR camera with two fixed-focus lenses
- Dual 20MP CMOS sensors
- Three multi-view angles of 360 Degree Spherical VR Mode and 197 Degree 4K Ultra Wide Mode and 235 Degree Dome Mode
- Lithium-ion battery
- Live streaming via Wi-Fi
- the camera comes with lots of accessories like a protective cover, USB cable, and thumbscrew adapter
- Dustproof and shockproof
- Good photo and video editing capabilities
- Suitable for professionals
- The camera functions are a bit difficult to use
9. Insta360 ONE 360 Camera
The Insta360 ONE 360 Camera, Sports, and Action Video Camera can shoot photos and videos at resolutions 4K and 24MP.
With the amazing FreeCapture technology, one can stream videos effortlessly into a 1080p frame which can be shared anywhere.
The camera also comes with multiple shooting modes and powerful in-app editors to give you flawless pictures and videos whenever and wherever you want.
This is one of the cameras that give stunning 360-degree results which are effortless to edit and share.
- Photo Resolution: 24 MP (6912*3456) and Photo Format: Insp, jpeg, RAW
- Video Resolution: 4K and Video format: insv,mp4,LOG
- FreeCapture technology (Little Planet mode)
- Built-in 6-axis gyroscope & gyroscope algorithm in the app
- 360 live-streaming on Facebook, Twitter, Periscope and other sites
- Compatible with iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6s/6s Plus, iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPhone SE, iPad Pro(10.5-inch), iPad(9.7-inch), iPad Pro(12.9-inch), iPad mini4, iPad Air 2
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled
- Editing can be done smoothly with the Insta360 One App
- Provides a bullet-time effect for epic shots
- Slant correction for smoother and sharper images
- Multiple shooting modes and powerful in-app editors
- Easy to use and share with iPhone/iPad
- Supports SD-card storage of maximum capacity of 128 GB
- Insta remote and selfie stick needs to be bought separately
10. Rylo HD Recording Cinematic Stabilization Camcorder
- Immersive 360-degree video-capturing ability with 4k resolution
- Built-in breakthrough stabilization and horizontal levelling
- Time-lapse control
- Directly wired file-transfer
- Software built into the Rylo app
- Video stabilization is excellent
- Great battery life
- Direct wired transfer means fast file-sharing
- Effortless editing
- Solid build, impressive-looking device
- Very responsive customer service
- Low-light photo quality is not that great
- Software sometimes contains bugs
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What can a 360 camera do?
A 360 camera is capable of capturing shots from all angles. It provides a panoramic view of the entire visual field.
A 360 camera can also capture spherical images and videos in high-quality resolution.
Many cameras feature preview and transfer features. You can also use applications to edit the shots by merging them and adding effects or music.
2. Why should you get a 360-degree camera?
You should get a 360-degree camera as it gives you access to a visual field that covers 360 degrees.
It is a popular camera that can be used for surveillance, travelling, and scientific fields such as robotics.
3. How does a 360-degree camera work?
Usually, a 360-degree camera comes with dual lenses that capture two videos or images with a field view of 180 degrees.
Now the camera may automatically stitch or merge the two files, or it may come with free software that merges them in a single click.
4. What’s the difference between 360 and VR?
VR is a simulated environment created as the replications of a real place or as a fictional world. It consists of headgear, sensors, and lenses.
A smartphone is usually inserted into the VR headset mount to immerse you into the world of virtual reality.
A 360-degree camera is used for capturing real-life shots in a wide 360-degree visual field. It is also used for various scientific fields such as robotics.
Both of these devices give you different experiences. However, they are viewed from the same headset technology.
5. What is a 360 Degree Image?
A 360 Degree image is the one that contains the view of all directions – left, right, up, down. It is usually the kind of image you see in Google Street View.
6. Is it challenging to use a 360 Degree Camera?
No. Despite the advanced technology, a 360-degree camera is super easy to use.
It takes only a few easy steps to set up your camera and capturing photos and videos with this camera is effortless.
A 360-degree camera enables you to view 360-degree images or videos as if you are placed in the middle of this sphere. You can view your 360 photos and videos directly through smart devices or websites that accept 360-degree content.
These cameras are ideally suitable for photography enthusiasts, including professional as well as amateur photographers. With these cameras, you can create 360-degree content and enjoy 360-degree broadcasting via advanced and sophisticated streaming platforms.
More Buyer Guides and Reviews