Best Point and Shoot Cameras
Point and shoot cameras are a compact and budget camera option for people who are into casual photography. They are better than the cameras equipped in smartphones but not as expensive as professional DSLR cameras.
Point and shoot cameras provide the perfect balance between these two options. They are great to take along on a trip, an outing or just a get-together of family and friends. Photos taken on the phone tend to get lost amidst all the other things we store on our phones. With these cameras, you can safely capture these memories forever.
In this article, you will find out the difference between the point and shoot cameras and mirrorless cameras. You will also find out the best brands in the camera. We have also provided a few factors to consider while buying a point and shoot camera and a few FAQs.
In the end, you will find the list of 11 best points a shoot camera.
Top 11 Point and Shoot Cameras
Best for Vacation & Picnics
Most Portable Camera
Best For Beginners
Best For Beginners
Best for Newbies & Professionals
Best Camera with an Image Processor
Best Viewfinder Camera
Best for Micro Photograph
Best For Adventure & Everyday use
High Sensitive Sensor
High resolution camera
Difference Between Point and Shoot Cameras and Mirrorless Cameras
Some differences exist between the points and shoot cameras and the mirrorless cameras. There are some factors to consider before making a final decision on the one to go for.
One of the major differences between both is the issue of size and weight. The point and shoot camera is known to be compact and can often fit in one’s pocket. They come with a lens that retracts back easily for lesser overall thickness.
The mirrorless camera is big and thick when compared to the point and shoot cameras. The lens of these mirrorless cameras does not retract back when shut off.
For those who need a camera for general photography and want something portable, the point and shoot should be the ideal choice. Those who want high quality images and don’t care about size and portability, the mirrorless camera should be selected.
Ease in setting
In respect to simplicity in setting, point and shoot are mostly for beginners. This camera incorporates some auto modes, unlike the mirrorless that may require some setting adjustments. Mirrorless cameras come with a few advanced functions and settings which may be difficult for beginners.
Another major difference between the point and shoot camera and the mirrorless camera is the lens changing feature. Point and shoot cameras do not require regular cleaning since there is no opening for the dust to go in.
On the other hand, the mirrorless camera needs proper cleaning often. And since dust reduces precision and picture quality, cleaning will be inevitable. Check out best camera cleaning gear to protect your camera and maintain a long life.
Point and shoot cameras come with a smaller sensor in comparison to the mirrorless cameras. Although the point and shoot camera have smaller sensor sizes, it is important to note that it still produces quality images and videos.
This is a major point of consideration for the purchase of either a point and shoot camera and a mirrorless camera. Mirrorless cameras are significantly more expensive than point and shoot cameras.
Point and shoot cameras are suitable for learners and beginners who are not so familiar with photography while the mirrorless camera is ideal or best for people that are seeking to switch to DSLR from the use of a compact camera.
Top Point and Shoot Camera Manufacturers in the Market
The camera market is filled with numerous manufacturers of good quality cameras. Among these manufacturers, here are some of the top-rated brands
This is one of the leading manufacturers of photography products across the globe. It is a known brand in India and it has established a niche fan following. Nikon’s point and shoot cameras offer its users great quality with other unique features. Their cameras are also known to be lightweight.
This is another popular name in the market. They offer some of the best point and shoot cameras. They have decent functionalities and excellent image quality.
Samsung is a reputed global brand that offers the best kind of digital cameras. Samsung model of point and shoot camera is affordable and ultra-compact digital. This gives users high-resolution shots ideal for any photographer.
This is one of the most famous companies in the world that offers digital camera services. There are involved in the manufacturing of cameras for all kinds of photographers such as newbies, amateur, and professionals.
Fuji point and shoot camera come with lots of features like larger sensors, cutting edge technology and fixed prime lenses.
Olympus brand also offers a wide range of amazing features that is ideal for both beginners and professionals. It comes with a stylish design and a great build for great image quality.
Important Terminology and Buying Guide for a Point and Shoot Camera
Understanding some technical jargon or terms related to photography is a challenge faced by many people who are not proficient in the field. Here we have explained some of the terms you might come across:
Megapixels is a measure of the resolution of photos produced the camera. Cameras that come with higher megapixels means a better image suitable for enlarging and editing. Such images also take up a lot of storage space. Check out 4k Camera to get the best ultra HD cameras.
The viewfinder in a point and shoot camera allows users to view the frame while composing an image. This is important when one is taking a picture under a bright light.
This is another term often used when buying a digital camera. It is a feature that comes with the lens. It allows users to magnify the focal length. Point and shoot cameras that come with this feature (optical zoom) work better than those with digital zoom.
The LED screen allows the user to compose the image and to view the previous photos and settings. It is important to go for one with a large screen to give you an increased brightness for all outdoor shooting and accurate colors.
Point and shoot cameras come with different modes. It is necessary to check the modes it comes with. Some of these modes include daylight, portrait, night landscape, museum, night portrait, sports, landscape, and others.
Image stabilization prevents the blurring of shots if your hands are shaky. With the image stabilization, you are sure of getting sharper images.
This is another feature to consider and also to understand its importance. With the face recognition features, one can recognize an individual face automatically even before the picture is taken.
With smile recognition, the camera can recognize a smile in a face and take the picture even before shooting.
Wireless connectivity is another important feature to consider when purchasing a point and shoot camera. This feature allows your camera to connect to mobile devices easily through its Wi-Fi connectivity.
Most point and shoot cameras come with a rechargeable battery. Others run on AA batteries. It is necessary to determine the one that suits you best when buying one
The memory card serves as a means of storing images after taking the shot. Most new point and shoot cameras come with SD cards or SDHC cards and can be read with the help of an external card reader.
Factors considered in the selection of reviewed products
In making our selection, some factors were considered, which influenced our selection. Some of these factors include
Value for money
This is one of the major factors that influenced our choice. Our selection was mostly based on a budget of an average photographer wishing to get the best satisfaction from the buy. If you have a low budget, you can read our best cameras under 10,000 article. Here you will find all the features you will get in a camera under budget.
Ease of use
We need products that everyone can easily make use of such as using a smartphone.
Added functionality also influenced the selections of the point and shoot cameras. The camera needs to have the same features as offered by smartphones and even more.
This is another factor we considered in our selection. All the cameras we selected are intended to give the users some touch of fun while in use.
Best Point and Shoot Camera
It is important to note that all the point and shoot cameras reviewed here might not be the latest models – some might be a bit old, but that will not mean that they are not good. Here we are looking at some popular brands that are worth every penny you spend on it.
11 Best Point and Shoot Cameras
1. Canon EOS 1500D
This camera from Canon features a top quality sensor and image processor to capture any image with high sensitivity, deep, rich and lifelike colors. The pictures have rich gradations and amazing clarity thanks to the high resolution 24.1 MP lens.
The camera is versatile and compact in size. It can be easily picked up and used by amateurs while offering enough functionalities to appeal to an experienced or a professional photographer.
- 24.1 MP APS-C size CMOS sensor.
- Image enlargement feature to zoom in on photos after clicking.
- You can crop the photo by changing the aspect ratio immediately.
- Bokeh mode to blur the background and enhance the subject.
- You can connect your smartphone to the camera to remotely release the shutter.
- It can also be used to import clicked photos.
- Good video recording capabilities in low light.
- You can combine the various EF lenses available to add variation.
- The dimensions are 7.76 x 12.9 x 10.13 cm with a weight of 475 grams.
- Adjustable sound recording level for videos.
- Wind filter to drown out wind noise.
- Powerful imaging processor.
- Good battery backup.
- Live mode is quite smooth.
- It makes too much noise.
2. Sony DSC Cyber Shot Point & Shoot Camera – Most Portable Camera
This is one other trendy brand in the Indian market. It is reputed for its super HAD CCD sensor that comes with a 20.1 effective megapixels. The camera is fully equipped with a sweeping panorama, grand auto and picture effect.
It comes with a rechargeable battery, multi USB cable, AC adaptor, wrist strap, and a user manual. The camera screen size is 2.7 inches. The Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens gives an accurate and realistic photo with its steady optical shot for blur-free images.
It comes with an integrated play memory software that enables one to transfer images and video to one’s smartphone and computer for viewing and editing.
- The dimensions are 5.3 x 2.3 x 9.3 cm.
- It has a weight of 118 g.
- It requires 1 Lithium-ion battery.
- The camera comes with an image stabilization features.
- The camera has a video capture resolution of 1280 x 720.
- It has a digital viewfinder type.
- The minimum focal length is 32 mm.
- It has a picture effect mode that can quickly transform ordinary pictures to artistic images.
- You can use the built-in advanced flash feature control the ISO sensitivity.
- The camera is easy to carry around.
- The great features make it stand out.
- The steady optical shot that gives out a clearer image.
- Ease of transferring the images on the go.
- It comes with an intelligent function that focuses on items, motion detection and scene recognition features.
- It has an optical zoom of 8X and digital zoom of 32 X.
- Memory is not enough.
- The image display is not that clear when viewing from the camera.
3. Canon IXUS 185 Digital Camera
The Canon IXUS 185 20 megapixels digital camera comes with 8x optical zoom. It is suitable for people who like capturing sharp and high-resolution images in a breeze, as it has a DIGIC 4+ image processor.
The camera has a digital IS that makes shooting almost shake-free even at high zoom lengths, giving you clear and vivid quality images. The in-built advanced technology detects optimal settings on its own, thus making it easy to operate by simply pointing and shooting.
The camera is an all in one package since it features a variety of fun shooting modes like fish-eye effect, miniature effect, toy camera effect, monochrome, super vivid, poster effect, firework, and long shutter enabling you to add exciting twists to your videos.
The device has a built-in flash with Auto, On, Slow Synchro, Off modes and has a continuous shooting speed of 2.2 shots per second. The shutter speed range per second is 15 – 1/2000 and sensor size is 1/2.3. The camera comes with a Digital IS image stabilizer and has an effective ISO of 100-1600.
- Along with 8x zoom, the camera offers an additional 16x zoom.
- AF modes available are One-Shot AF, servo AF.
- The date stamp feature lets you activate the date and time with just one click.
- The camera is very convenient to carry due to its pocket size.
- It weighs 431 g and has dimensions 2.4 x 9.5 x 5.7 cm making it lightweight and portable.
- It comes with a memory card and a carry case.
- It functions on 1 Lithium-Ion battery and can be connected through a USB slot.
- The device gives several metering modes like Evaluative, Center-weighted average, and spot.
- The camera comes with a 2-year warranty.
- The camera captures great pictures in daylight, and autofocus is good.
- Good build quality and compact.
- Ideal for capturing macro shots and HD video recording.
- Not a good choice for low light photography.
4. Canon PowerShot SX430B Camera – Best For Beginners
The Canon PowerShot is a classy digital camera that is suitable for all photography. It is a digital camera that comes with 45x optical zoom and a 16 GB of memory. This allows the user the opportunity to shoot and store tons of images in the camera.
With this advanced digital point and shoot camera, users can capture impressive close-ups. It also comes with an ergonomic grip that allows for better handling.
- The camera comes with an intelligent image stabilization.
- The Canon point and shoot camera comes with a 90x Zoom plus.
- It comes with a 20.0 megapixels sensor.
- The camera has a Wi-Fi and NFC feature for ease of sharing images on social media.
- It comes with an item weight of 830 g.
- It comes with package dimensions of 19.6 x 16.4 x 15.2 cm.
- It requires 1 Lithium-ion battery.
- The package comes with a memory card and camera bag.
- A perfect product for beginners.
- The product is straightforward to use.
- The battery life is great.
- Picture quality is not so great in low light condition.
5. Nikon Coolpix B500 16MP Point and Shoot Camera – Best for Newbies & Professionals
The Nikon Coolpix B500 is another point and shoot camera that is suitable for newbies and professionals. The camera comes with a 16MP camera and a 40x optical zoom.
One beautiful thing about this model of camera is that it supports different languages which include Arabic, Bulgarian, Bengali, Czech, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English, French, Finnish, and many more.
- It has an image sensor of 1/2 to 3 inches type CMOS.
- The product features a monitor size of 7.5 cm (3 inches) diagonal.
- It comes with a monitor resolution which is approximately 921k-do.t wide.
- It has a 40x Optical Zoom magnification
- The camera comes with approximately 16.76 million pixels.
- The camera has still image file formats.
- It comes with an MP4 (Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Audio: AAC stereo).
- It has a 16-megapixel COOLPIX B500.
- It has multiple exposure lighting function.
- The B500 comes with a comfortable grip to shoot that helps in enhancing stability.
- It has a built-in Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth low energy (BLE) in order to maintain a constant connection between the camera and the app.
- It is designed in a way that one can take up to 600 shots on a four regular AA alkaline batteries.
- It comes with a memory capacity of 20 MB.
- Some included components are camera Strap, LC-CP31 Lens Cap (with cord), LR6/L40 (AA-size) Alkaline Batteries x4 (The included batteries are for trial use only), UC-E16 USB Cable, and main unit.
- The camera has a max shutter speed of 1/4000 and the main shutter speed of 1/1500.
- The camera is easy to use.
- The camera is designed in a way that the Lens-shift vibration (VR) counteracts even the smallest shake and movement for clearer and sharper photos.
- It has self-timer and autofocus.
- You can adjust between 5 levels of brightness.
- It also comes with a Hi-Speed USB connector.
- The camera supports a direct print option.
- No negative points seen so far.
6. CANON Power Shot Camera – Best Camera with an Image Processor
The Canon power shot is a stylishly designed and a lightweight point and shoot camera. This compact camera comes with a punch with its unique 20.1 megapixel and a 1.0 inch-type sensor.
It also comes with a DIGIC 7 image processor. This makes the camera a good companion for all occasions, such as casual and formal outing.
- The camera has a 1.0-inch type 20.2 megapixel CMOS sensor.
- The camera is compatible with an MP4 movie shooting.
- It has a 3x optical zoom (28-84mm).
- It comes with a 3.0 type touch panel LCD Screen.
- The camera comes with an Auto-level function.
- Easy to control with the touch panel LCD screen.
- Wi-Fi and NFC compatible makes it convenient to share a picture at the touch of a button.
- It has a sleek and stylish design.
- It comes with a slip-proof grip on both side of the camera.
- The memory capacity is a bit low (8GB) when compared to other models.
7. Leica V Lux Typ 114 Camera – Best Viewfinder Camera
The Leica 18197 V-Lux camera is an excellent view-finder camera that is suitable for use in any lighting conditions. It comes with great features that set it apart from other point and shoot cameras in the market. It features an OLED electronic viewfinder.
- The camera requires a 1 Lithium-ion battery which is also included in the package.
- The camera package comes with a battery, camera body, and charger cable.
- It has an optical zoom of 16 X.
- It has a one-inch sensor with a 20 MP resolution.
- The image shuttle app allows users to control the various functions via tablets or smartphones.
- The camera can store photos in either JPEG or RAW file format.
- The camera covers every photographic situation which includes standard, wide-angle and telephoto photography and other macro close-ups.
- It comes with more reliable autofocus.
- The camera comes with a high definition video format that is four times the resolution of a full HD.
- It comes at a reasonable price.
- The lens enables sharp and detailed exposure even for distant objects.
- It has a fantastic picture quality suitable for professionals.
- The camera does not have a self-timer.
8. Sony Cybershot Digital Camera – Best for Micro Photograph
This Sony Cybershot is a 20.4 MP digital camera for a steady point and shoots images. It is capable of full HD video recording with its steady optical shot. It has a 50X optical zoom with a Zeiss Lens.
The camera comes with DSLR creative modes. It has 100x clear image zoom and 20.4 MP Exmor R CMOS sensor with a BIONZ X image processor.
- The has an electronic viewfinder with a 100 percent field coverage.
- This Sony point and shoot camera comes with a Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity.
- It comes with a lock-on AF for it to enhance picture quality.
- It comes with an electronic viewfinder that allows you to click like a pro.
- The camera comes with an in-built picture effect for an enhance shooting.
- An easy to control and an ergonomic grip for an easy to reach and control buttons.
- a lithium battery is needed.
- The included components are rechargeable battery NP-BX1, shoulder strap, AC adaptor – UB10C/UB10D, shoe cap, micro USB cable, lens cap, AC power cord, and a user manual.
- It has a screen size of 3 inches.
- The camera comes with image stabilization.
- The camera has built-in flash modes, self-timer, autofocus, and a redeye reduction.
- This camera is suitable for clearer pictures.
- It has a wide zoom focus range from 35 MM to 1200 MM.
- A good stabilization for both hands held shots and still image.
- It comes with a good flash for low light operation.
- The dial control makes it easy for one to operate.
- The tilt LCD helps the user in the handling of the camera.
- The battery can last just for 3 to 5 hours maximum.
- The LCD screen is not rotatable.
- It does not come with an external microphone jack.
9. Nikon COOLPIX W300 Waterproof Digital Camera – Best For Adventure & Everyday use
The Nikon COOLPIX W300 is a waterproof digital camera with a sleek design. This point and shoot camera has innovative features. This includes a beautiful design and some apt multimedia imaging ability.
This Nikon camera is designed for adventure and everyday use. It is also waterproof for depths of up to 100′ as well as shockproof from a fall of up to 7.9′.
- It comes with an SDHC removable memory.
- The camera integrates SnapBridge wireless connectivity.
- It has a built-in GPS for geotagging imagery in camera.
- It has a resolution of 16 MP BSI CMOS sensor for both still images and video.
- Ability to shoot continuously for seven fps.
- It comes with the capacity to record video at UHD 4K/30p.
- It has a 5x optical zoom lens.
- The following components come with the camera (camera strap, an EN-EL12 rechargeable Li-ion battery, a UC-E21 USB cable brush, and EH-73P adapter.
- It comes with an electronic VR and lens shift for image stabilization.
- It comes with a dedicated video button for easy controlling.
- The camera comes with different scene modes.
- One other advantage of this camera is the GPS, the depth gauge, compass, and snappy response that it comes with.
- The ability to attach filters and use in low light.
10. PANASONIC LUMIX 4K Point and Shoot Camera – High Sensitive Sensor
The Panasonic Lumix ZS100 4K is a lovely point and shoot camera. It is suitable for those on vacation and sightseeing. It is an innovative combination of both modern and traditional camera models.
It has an advanced optical LEICA DC lens for added performance. This camera will be loved by all enthusiasts due to its flexibility, its Wi-Fi mobile controllability, and a 4K video capability and 4K photo modes.
With its well-crafted design, the traditionalist will love the hands-on camera manual as it gives a feel of a lens-mounted control ring and a thumb wheel. It’s also an excellent choice for this traditionalist due to their familiarity with cameras with an eye-level electronic viewfinder.
- A large 1.20 megapixel sensor delivers brighter and more colorful photos.
- The camera comes with 1 Lithium-ion battery and 10x (20-250mm) LEICA DC lens.
- The camera optical zoom has a wide F/2.8-5.9 aperture for background defocus effects.
- The camera has a 4K Ultra video recording feature and a touch-enabled LCD to give the user a wider and pleasant experience.
- It has a video resolution of up to 3840 x 2160 pixels.
- The dimensions are 4.3 x 11.2 x 6.4 cm.
- Raw-format images which can be easily developed with adjustments for color space setting (Adobe RGB/sRGB).
- It is designed in a way that it gives a better display in low light than the small sensor camera.
- The flash of this camera is excellent.
- It comes with a standard micro-USB cable for connectivity.
- Another pro of this camera is that it comes with a touchscreen.
- The autofocus is not so great.
- It does not come with a flash hot shot.
11. GR Digital Compact Camera – High resolution camera
The GR III digital compact camera is a high-end camera that harmonizes high-quality images with high-resolution images. It comes with a responsive snapshot ability. It is designed in a way that is lightweight and compact. This makes it an excellent choice for even professional photographers.
This latest compact camera is designed with some components which include an image sensor, a lens, and an imaging engine. It also incorporates a larger APS-C sized CMOS image sensor.
- The 24.24 megapixels camera gives high-resolution images.
- It allows for a quick and responsive shooting.
- It uses a 1 Lithium-ion batteries.
- It has an AV port hardware interface.
- The camera comes with a max shutter speed of 1/4000 seconds, a minimum shutter speed of 30 seconds and minimum aperture of 16 millimeters.
- It has a minimum focal length of 28 millimeters.
- It comes with a contrasting type AF and a phase detection type AF to ensure precision and a high-speed focusing.
- A gapless capacitive touch LCD screen.
- It comes with advanced shake reduction features.
- It comes with a full HD movie recording feature of 1920 x 1080 pixels, a wireless LAN option for easy pairing to smartphones and tablets computers.
- The battery life is not so great.
- The camera video quality is of low-quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which point and shoot camera is best in low light?
PANASONIC LUMIX 4K Point and Shoot Camera is the best point and shoot camera for low light photography since it comes with a large 1-inch 20.1 megapixel MOS sensor for color, detail, and clarity that gives you perfect low light photographs.
2. What type of point and shoot camera should I buy?
We might not be able to give you a comprehensive answer to this question since there are different models of this camera in the market. But it is important to know the reason why you are buying one and tailor the purchase to it.
Some users seek to become a professional, and this will require a more digital type of point and shoot camera while others seek a camera that they can use to take images of a favorable occasion.
3. What brand of point and shoot camera is suitable for me?
Based on the reviews, it is ideal to stick with the known brands in the market. With brands such as Canon, Fuji, Nikon, and Samsung, one can never go wrong. These are known brands that offers good quality to buyers.
4. What should be my budget?
This is one of the most important questions one should ask before deciding to purchase a point and shoot camera. Price eliminates other considerations, and this should be given a good thought.
Different point and shoot camera come at different prices, and the reason why you want to use the camera can also affect the price you may be willing to pay for it.
5. Why do I want a camera?
There are different reasons why people purchase a camera as different camera models are seen in the India market. It is necessary to know what you want to photograph as no camera is perfect for every occasion.
You should figure out what is critical for the type of images you will love to take. For example, if you are looking for a landscape or wedding image – a dynamic range would be what is important to you while for wildlife, fast autofocus and a crop sensor are important.
6. What controls do I need in my point and shoot camera?
Some people love simplicity. They needs a camera that they can point and shoot, while others require a sophisticated model of the point and shoot camera that they can manipulate its settings, manual controls, and other manipulation. It boils down to what a user wants when making a selection.
7. What is important in printing an image?
In those days of a film camera, the only way one can see the picture is to print it out. Recently, things are changing as most persons snap pictures to put on social media.
For those wanting pictures to put on social media, any type of camera should be great. But if you are in need to print the photos, then you need to be a bit selective in your selection.
For those that require printing, a camera with a larger sensor size and resolution is more important.
8. Which feature is important in making a selection?
Most people consider that more megapixels mean better pictures but that is not entirely true. Sensor quality and aperture play a major role, so you should look into those specifications as well.
9. How can I know if a product is ok?
If you are buying online, you should gauge the satisfaction of past users. It is necessary to read through the past reviews of users and to check the specification of the product before buying.
This article has covered all the aspects of photography that you need to know before you start clicking away. Keeping in mind all the tips, factors and the buying guide, we are sure you will find the right product for your needs from the range of products we covered.
If you are still confused, have a look at our picks: When in doubt, going for Canon Powershot or Canon 1500 D camera will never disappoint you. While on the pricier side, it will deliver high-quality results. If you are looking to save money, you can go for the budget friendly Canon IXUS.
From our review, we recommend the Canon PowerShot SX430B and the Nikon Coolpix B500 16MP Point and Shoot Camera due to its flexibility and ease of use as our ideal point and shoot camera for newbies and professionals.