Top 10 Resistance bands
Resistance bands are elastic bands that are produced and used for the execution of various strength exercise. Other than exercising, these bands are used extensively in physical therapy, especially in treating muscular injuries. They are used to rebuild strength slowly for cardiac rehab patients.
These bands were first manufactured in the 20th century, with the initial use in surgical tubing as well as in rehabilitation. However, these bands are now used in various forms of general fitness and strength training. It is of great advantage to users, as it is very lightweight and flexible.
To depict the various levels there are, the bands are now color coded to allow user easily pick their preference in difficulty. You should note that the various colors used for the difficulty levels are dependent on the brand. So when picking a band, do more to rely on a particular level, rather than just the color.
It is very easy to use the resistance bands, and because they are very light in weight, people can easily carry them comfortably. With these, you can always continue your routine session just anywhere you are in the world. There are various types of exercises that can be performed with the resistance bands.
To make sure you purchase the best resistance bands online, you need to have complete knowledge. This is why we have made a detailed guide on how the resistance bands work, types of resistance bands, advantages of using these bands, top resistance band exercises, buying guide, top 10 best resistance bands and frequently asked questions.
Hopefully this will guide you in the selection procedure.
Top 10 Resistance bands
Improves muscle strength
Strengthen lower body
Multiple fitness levels
Best for body shaping
How do resistance bands work?
The resistance bands are great work out equipment, and if you have been serious about your workout, this shouldn’t be the first time you are coming across them. These bands work by adding an external force that can be applied on the body, without getting to hold on to extra weight. These bands are flat but they can be sometimes be looped, to form various sizes, ranging from thin to thick.
These bands are able to provide resistance of varying intensity; light, medium, heavy, extra heavy, etc. However, the opposing force in the use of the resistance band is your own body weight. When fastened in place, all you need to do is either push, pull or curl against the resistance of the rubber.
Advantages of using resistance bands
Using resistance bands have a number of benefits for you, and below are some of them;
Tone and strengthen:
The stretching of a resistance band creates tension in your muscle, which cause them to contract. During use, the more the band is being stretched, the more intense its resistance gets, this would eventually make the exercise harder. The resistance band can also be held in ways that would increase the tension.
The band adds assistance, not just resistance:
The resistance bands can also help you progress with very difficult exercises. For instance, if you want to get better with the pull up exercise, all you need to do is to simply attach the resistance band to the bar, then you can always attach it to either under your knee or foot to work your way up the unassisted version. When the exercise is in progress, the band supports your weight, this would make it easier for you to carry out this exercise.
It is a great equipment for stretching:
The resistance bands can also be a great addition to your routine, if you are looking to work on your flexibility and mobility. The band will make it possible for you to increase the range of motion and deepen the stretch as the band is moved in the opposite direction, or towards the body.
Lightweight and portable:
If you are looking to travel, this is one gym equipment you can always take with you. These bands are very lightweight and can be easily slashed in your suitcase or hard luggage.
They are suitable for almost everyone:
Just as weights work on the muscles, resistance bands do the same. The muscles are contracted to generate the needed force to stabilize and control the movement you desire. The difference between these bands and weights is that, they do not rely on gravity to produce resistance. This means that, there can be a movement of the body, as well as an expansion of motion range in some exercises.
These bands have been very effective for rehabilitation and sports. This is because the way the resistance bands apply pressure is quite different from the way it is being applied by weights. Irrespective of age, you can always get an effective workout session from the resistance bands. You can also carry out as many exercise as possible while being in a sitting position.
They are very affordable:
You don’t have to break the bank to get the best resistance band out there. They are really affordable, but you should have it at the back of your mind that the thicker the band, the more resistant it would be, and the harder it will make the exercise. It would be best if you simply pick a variety pack, this would afford you varying resistance you can always choose from.
Exercise you can always do with the resistance band
There are various exercises that can be done with the resistance band, and you will benefit from them. This is because they add that extra layer of challenge to your normal routine. They add extra challenge, but they don’t put pressure on your body like the external weight will do.
With the help of the resistance band, you can also target smaller stabilizing muscles that you might not be able to work out. It is for this reason that trainers use them to work the small muscles that line the hip.
Here are a number of exercise you can carry out with the resistance bands:
Resistance band bicep curls:
- Stand on the resistance band with both of your feet. Hold the handles in each of your hand. Make sure your arms are extended and the palms are facing forward.
- Then you can slowly curl your hands up toward your shoulders, you will then squeeze your bicep. You should keep your elbows firm against the side of your body.
- You can then slowly lower your hand back to its starting position.
Resistance band bent-over row:
- You should stand with your feet on the resistance band, then have your hip wide apart. Hold one of the handles in each of your hands, just by your side, with your palms facing each other. Make sure your knee is slightly bent, and hinged forward at your hip level. This will keep your back flat, with your arms straight, and then placed under your shoulders.
- This is followed by you bending your elbows, with your band pulled towards your chest. While doing this, your elbow should be kept close to your body.
- Straighten your arms slowly, then lower the hand to its starting position.
Resistance band chest fly:
- You can do this by looping your resistance band around something firm behind you. Hold each handle and have your arm held straight out in a T. You should make sure that your palms are facing forward.
- Take a stance; one of your foot should be in front, while the other is behind. This will give you a staggered stance. You should make sure you are really far away from the loop of your resistance band, this is to create enough tension in the band. This is your starting position.
- Then, you should slowly pull at the band, to make the handles meet in front of your body. You should ensure that your arms are straight, while your elbows can be slightly bent.
- You can then slowly extend release your arm back to the starting position. However, you should make sure that the band is not snapped back suddenly, it could lead to injury.
Resistance band good morning:
- First, stand on the resistance band with both of your feet, and be about a hip-width apart. On each side of your body, hold one end of the band in your hand with your palms facing each other. This is your starting position.
- Second, ensure that there is a soft bend on your knee, hinge forward at your hips and push your butt backwards. You should also fold your torso forward. You should stop when your torso is just about parallel to the floor. This is depending on how flexible your hamstring is.
- Let your hip be drive forward as you lift your torso back up and return to the starting position. Then squeeze your glutes at the top.
Resistance band chest press:
- Start by looping your resistance band to something firm behind you. Hold on to each handle and have your hand held out straight at the sides. Your elbows should also be bent at 90 degrees, with your palms facing forward.
- Now, achieve a staggered stance, by having one foot in front, and the other behind. You should stand forward enough from the loop, so that there would be much tension developed in the band. This is the starting position.
- Next, have the handles pressed slowly to the front and have your arms straightened, till your hands meet up in front of your body.
- Lastly, bend your elbows and pull the handles towards your chest, back to the starting position. You should make sure that the band does not spring back quickly to avoid injury.
Resistance band glute kick-back:
- To start, have a resistance band looped around your left ankle and arch your right foot.
- Next, have your right leg lifted and extended out behind you, thereby pushing against the resistance of the band. Try to get the maximum straight position for your leg
- In a very slow motion, try to bring your leg back to the starting position.
Resistance band glute bridge:
- Lay on the floor, with your back. Your hands sideways, and your knees bent. Have your feet flat on the floor, hip-width apart. You should then loop a medium strength resistance band on your thigh, just above your knee. This is your starting position.
- Squeeze your glutes and abs, then push hard through your heels, so that your hip is lifted a few inches off the floor until your body forms a perfectly straight position from your shoulders to your knees. You should hold this position for some time, then ensure that the tension in the band is maintained. This is to prevent the knee from collapsing in.
- Then slowly return you ship to the starting position.
Types of resistance bands
There are various types of resistance bands, and this is based majorly on the use they are recommended for;
These are bands with no handles, and they are used mainly for rehabilitation.
They are long tubes that are used in various stretching exercises.
Compact resistance band
These resistance bands features handles that are attached to the end of the band, and they are used mainly to work out the upper and lower part of the body.
Fit loop band:
These are the continuous loop bands that used mainly on the lower part of the body.
Figure 8 band:
The figure 8 band is one that has the shape of an 8 that has two handles. This band is used extensively on the upper body.
Ring resistance band
These are circular bands featuring two soft handles, used mainly on the lower part of the body.
Lateral resistance band
These bands are Velcro ankle cuffs that are connected by band, and can be used on the lower body.
Buying guide for your resistance bands
You should know that the various bands are colored for the various tension level. There are basically four different levels, which include; light, medium heavy and very heavy. It is best that you pick out a variety containing at least three of these levels – light, medium, and heavy. This is because the different muscles of the body would require different levels of resistance.
Size: Before you make your pick, you should always ensure that you have the right size for the exercise you are looking to use it for. There are various sizes, and they are personalized for different exercise. There are the small, medium and large sizes. Consider this while buying..
The quality of the material used really matters. You don’t want a band that would snap after a couple of use. It has to be made of 100% latex. Check for the manufacturer’s specifications and make sure to test the elasticity yourself.
You should make sure that the resistance band you will be getting is one that is easy to use and very comfortable. Some of the bands you find in store have handles that are interchangeable, which means that you can always take them off to use different bands. Make sure the bands you get can be easily used, replaced, and of course, it would bring about pain.
keep it simple. There are various types of bands, but it would be best you go for a very simple one, if you are just starting out. When you are used to how it works, and how best to use them, you can always get the ones with more complicated designs.
You can only enjoy the use of accessories, if you have different ways to attach them. If there is a pole you can always attach the band to, at home, at the shop, you might only need to get a hand. If not, you should find something like a door attachment. You can also get ankle cuffs with it and some other accessories.
10 Best Resistance bands
1. FITSY Resistance Toning Tube – Our Pick
This is just the perfect equipment for you to build your muscles and shed fat. This is the top resistance band for workouts. Either you are looking to build your muscles, lose weight, burn fat, fitness training, Pilates, yoga, etc.
This tube targets all your muscle groups through a full range of motion, with an increased strength and toning. You do not need any other machine or equipment for all these, the FITSY resistance tube is just enough.
This tube is versatile and just as easy on your joints. All you need to do, to explore the versatility of this equipment is to change your body position. Made from premium latex materials, you are afforded the maximum strength and resistance. It also features cushioned foam handles which make it comfortable to hold without slipping.
It also features a door anchor, which takes your exercise to the next level. With the door anchor, the number of exercise you can carry out is increased. The anchor is designed to be gentle on your band, to prevent it from tearing.
If you are a beginner or enthusiast looking to build your body and achieve more fitness goals, this is the best band for you. There is also the heavy tube for professionals.
- Made from 100% premium latex
- It comes in a range of heaviness
- It has variety for different persons
- It is very easy to use and handle
- With it, you get to train with comfort
- It comes with a door anchor.
- There are exercises that you can perform with the band that can’t be performed with the tube.
2. BULMARC resistance band – Great Elasticity
This gear is crafted to the very best of quality, to be the perfect answer to your fitness routine. This is all you need. The resistance bands can be used anywhere you want it. either in the gym, parks, home, hotel room, or even when you are at the beach. It is always on the go.
This resistance band is made from premium latex, drawn right from the heart of the rubber trees in Thailand. This band offers a great deal of elasticity, and resilience, you should never be worried about it breaking any soon.
- Made of premium latex
- It comes in a kit, and of different colors
- They are portable, affordable and accessible
- The delivery is very quick
- It contains other equipment you might not be needing in this context, but are surely of great use in gym routines.
3. BodybandX Assist bands – Great strength
If this is going to be your first time buying a resistance band or you have been at this for so long than you can remember, this is all you need to train your strength, and take your training to the next level.
With these band, you can always find time out of your busy schedule to have your workout done. This is simply because this band can be taken anywhere and everywhere. All you need do is to just tug it into your luggage and you are good to go.
Once you are with this band, you can always be sure of a more thorough and effective workout session. This band is made from 100% latex, and you can always be sure that they would last long, since they are very durable.
The various strengths of bands that are made available affords you multiple levels of training resistance. You get more efficiency from combining various strengths of bands. This is no doubt the best resistance bands for building muscle.
You can build a great deal of strength when these bands are used in combination with other gym equipment, such as the barbell, dumbbell, etc. With this, you can efficiently tone your body and make it more flexible.
These bands are great if you are going to be building muscles, shaping your body, and achieving gradual loss of weight.
- It is made of 100% tear resistant material
- They are 35 centimeters in length
- The latex material used in its production is also anti-slip, and oxidation resistance.
- They are very easy to use
- They are resistant to wear and tear.
- It is neatly packed
- It might not be as strong as it seems.
4. Joyfit Resistance Band – Improves muscle strength
This bands can be used in isolation or they can be combined in any pair to have maximum effect. With these bands, you are able to burn fats, you can also increase your muscle strength.
With this band, you get a consistent resistance as it is being expanded. Made of eco-friendly materials, which is 100% latex – the highest quality rubber. These bands are extremely versatile, and can be used for various exercises.
- It includes 2 ankle straps, cushioned handles, door anchor, and other accessories
- It is made of 100% latex
- It can be used to target various parts of the body
- They are very durable
- You can always burn fat with this band, as well as increase muscle strength.
- Made of good quality material
- The stitches of the handle might start wear off after sometime of intensive use
5. Reebok resistance tube – Strengthen lower body
This is that resistance band you have been searching for. This resistance band makes extension easy by featuring a soft grip handle. This resistance band will help you strengthen and tone your lower body when you employ it in the training of these parts. It can tone multiple muscle groups all at once. This is the best band out there, all you would ever need, made in one.
It is also very ideal for exercises that involves your lower body, as well as your upper body. It is also a versatile piece of equipment, which can be used to perform an array of tasking exercises. You don’t have to worry about it suddenly snapping when in use.
You can use the Reebok band anywhere you find yourself, either in the gym, or at home. It is ready to go anywhere with you. The tube for women is also available in light, medium and heavy variants to intensify your exercises.
- It comes in three strengths: light, medium and heavy.
- It is made to have a soft grip handle
- It is very easy to use
- It is made of great quality
- They are mainly to support the weight of women
6. Alpha forge resistance exercise band – Improve performance
This is the ultimate equipment for workout, which can be used either in your home or at the gym. They can be used to perform full body workout. These bands are fit for both men and women, and the kit is just spot for your regular workout session. It features a Thera band which is designed to challenge your muscle in different ways.
The various components of the kit are combined in different formats. It also features a lightweight jump rope with has an ergonomic design for easy handling. This band can be used for the performance of various exercises.
- It comes in a kit with other equipment, most especially a Thera band
- They are divided into various packages for diversity
- It can be used to perform a full body workout.
- The product is highly durable
- It can perform full body workout
- Quality should have been better as per the price
7. KACOOL Resistance Bands – Best materials
This is one of the very resistance band that are made of the very best materials – 100% latex. The production of this utility did not involve any iota of TPE – which is a material of lower quality. With this, you get a combination of best quality and best value, all from the same product
This band is easy to take anywhere, as it is compact and lightweight. You can take it with you, to any part of the world. You can maximize its use in your living room, in your bedroom, garden, or even in the gym. Just about anywhere, you are good to go.
In this pack, there are bands of 5 different resistance levels, and are identified by their characteristic colors.
- They are made from 100% natural latex.
- There are five different levels designed
- It is made to be portable
- It is very easy to use
- It feels very sturdy
- It is safe and durable
- The quality of the band is not up to the mark
8. Credence resistance tube – Adjustable shape
This one of the best tube equipment out there. The latex tube material features an adjustable shape and it tons your body, just the way you want. It offers a great deal of flexibility and comfort, with its ergonomic design. It comes with a very comfortable foam handle, and with it, you can always achieve your exercise aims, in no time.
- It is made of premium latex
- It features additional strength
- It comes with a foam handle
- It can be used anywhere and anytime.
- They are very flexible and comfortable
- They help to shape and tone your entire body.
- They are not as quality as the pricier ones
9. Strauss yoga resistance band – Multiple fitness levels
With the aim of helping you craft the best way to your fitness, Strauss brings about the yoga resistance bands, with which you can perform exercises on the hip muscles. This band is very useful in burning of fat as well as body-building. For pregnant women, this equipment can also be used to keep fit. You can make use of it anywhere, either in the office or at your home.
For your effective workouts, you might not need to get costly equipment, with this, you can always achieve fitness. This is a very cost effective means of working out, at your convenience. It can also adapt easily to multiple fitness levels, and you can save space in the home.
With the use of this fitness equipment, as a resistance to your routine, you get to develop your body faster. You get to burn more fat, and you have a very slimmer appearance. With the resistance bands, you will able to control your movement as much as possible. You can always use this for your yoga exercises, both at your home and in the gym.
With it, you enhance your muscle strength, your physical mobility, and your flexibility.
- They are made of with latex of very high density
- They come in three difficulty level.
- With it, you can quickly get in good shape
- It is made of good quality material
- The intensity level is not much unlike those with 5 different levels
10. Fitzeal resistance rubber band – Best for body shaping
These are resistance bands that contain 5 various fitness loops, and can be used for the exercising of the legs and arms. They are used mainly for sports, fitness and the treatment of injuries. They can also be used for body shaping, weight loss and other forms of physical therapy.
This high end exercise bands are made of 100% latex, and has no smell of rubber whatsoever. They are just the perfect equipment for you, either you are just starting out with workouts, or you are a pro. The extra light and light bands are made just for beginners and novice, while the medium and heavy are targeted at intermediate exercisers and advanced exercisers, respectively.
You can always integrate this bands with any of the exercising program you carry out. Either yoga, Pilate, whatever, the resistance band will fit perfectly. It also comes with a bag; with which you can convey it easily from place to place.
- They are packaged with a bag
- They have 5 loop fitness levels
- They are made of 100% premium latex.
- They are of very good quality
- They do not smell; neither are they sticky
- The number of workout that can be done is somewhat limited, especially for inexperienced users.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I stop my resistance band from rolling upwards?
If you don’t want to use resistance bands that would roll up when you are using them, then you should go for the ones with the right length and width. Hence, you should go for a resistance band that is not too loose or too tight when worn.
It has to be inch perfect. Also you can do well to always place the resistance bands at the same level on each of your legs. And you should also make sure they are not too high, bands tend to roll up if they are too high.
2. What type of resistance band is best for me?
The type of resistance band you will use depends solely on the aim you are trying to achieve. If all you want is to work on your booty, then you can go for resistance loop band. However, if you are working on your upper body, it is best that you for resistance tubes with handles. Otherwise, you can make use of a flat band if you are not being specific about the goal you are trying to achieve and you want something more versatile.
3. Can I tone my body with a resistance band?
Yes, you sure can. They are very helpful when it comes to toning the muscles of the body for strength and endurance. In the case of toning, the resistance bands would do the same work as the dumbbells, but with the difference that there is no added weight. All your body needs to adapt to in this case is the pulling effect of the band.
4. How much calorie do I get to burn with my resistance bands?
Well, the calorie individuals get to burn depends on the individual’s weight and the workout program. If it helps, a woman of about 125 pound in weight would lose about 150 calories of energy in a workout session that lasts about 30 minutes. You should know this, the addition of the resistance band to your workout routine would help you in losing more calories.
5. How can I do squats with the resistance band?
You can achieve this by placing one of the resistance band under your feet, and make a stance that is shoulder width apart. You should hold each end with your hand. Pull at the handle of the resistance band, up to your shoulder and upper back level. Then, carry out the squat by pushing your upper hips backwards, while ensuring your back remains straight.
6. Why are bands used for deadlifts?
By adding resistance bands to your deadlifts, you are adding more weight to the regimen as against when you lift them alone. By adding resistance bands, the weights become heavier. In this case, you are not at risk of suddenly dropping the weight, but the work out becomes more tasking.
7. Is it good to use resistance bands for stretching?
Yes, these bands adapt very well to stretching, due to their elasticity. By making use of bands during stretch, the exercise is deepened, hence, you feel more flexibility.
8. How do I clean my resistance band?
There is nothing much to the cleaning of the resistance band, you can simply wipe them with a damp cloth. However, you should avoid the use of soap or other cleaning products. This is because these products can make them lose their tightness and firmness. You should also have them stored away from places of extreme temperature, if their elasticity must be preserved.
Hopefully with the above guide, you can be able to make your own choice. From the top 10 best resistance bands on Amazon, our top three picks are FITSY Resistance Toning Tube with additional door anchor, BULMARC resistance band and core sliding discs with 70 exercise guides and BodybandX pull up Assist bands, heavy resistance band.
Resistance bands are a great addition to your work out session, as you would be able to achieve more, within a shorter time. Resistance bands bring about added weight and resistance to your work out, without the addition of an actual weight. The addition of resistance bands to your work out process is a step in the right direction.