Top 10 Exercise bikes
Exercise bikes are devices used for exercising. The framework of this device includes the saddle, pedals as well as handlebars that are astutely arranged on the bicycle. This is a special form of bicycle that has no wheels. If you cannot afford to buy a stationary bike, you can always convert your bike to an exercise bike by placing it on a bicycle roller or on a trainer. These bikes are used by athletes or racing cyclist in a bid to warm up before the race, and it is also used extensively to train indoors.
The use of the exercise bike dates to as far as the 18th century, of which the gymnastic was an example.
Exercise bikes are generally used for an increase in the overall fitness of the body, as well as weight loss, and it can also be used when an athlete is training for cycling events. This bike has long been in use for physical therapy, as it does not have much impact, as it is very safe while being very effective on the cardiovascular parts of the body.
It is said to be of low impact as cycling does not put so much stress on the joints and does not involve the athlete having erratic motions that might be needed by some other gym equipment. However, you should note that, just like the normal bike, the extensive use of the exercise bike can cause a plunge in sexual functionality.
These bikes are used extensively in physical testing, as ergonomic for computing power. This is achieved by imposing a level of opposition mechanically, which is subsequently measured.
With these bikes, it is also possible to burn calories, and it also helps to keep your blood sugar level at a moderate level. It also helps the body in combating cholesterol, as it provides gentle toning, and keeps the joint in a state of mobility by its gentle use. With the bikes, there is also the improvement of general circulation in the body.
These bikes are also commonly used for rehabilitation, by people who have suffered from one form of injury or the other. If you are looking for one of these bikes, consider checking this guide as we have included the parts of exercise bikes, types, exercise cycle benefits, buying guides, FAQs and the top 10 best exercise bikes available on the market.
The Top 10 products you can choose from.
Great Scanning Mode
Great for pumping blood
Inbuilt Dual-Grip Monitor
Great for Heavy Duty
Great Ergonomic Design
Total Cardio Workout
Better Joint Health4f
What parts of the body do the exercise bike work on?
The use of these bikes is simple, they are cheap, and you can easily get into intense workouts with the help of these bikes when you don’t want to ride outside. This bike serves you a lot of health benefits, just like any other exercise equipment.
These bike work on various muscles of the body, not just the leg muscles. When you properly position on the bike, you can carry out more than just the leg workouts on the bike. There are various kinds of bikes, and they have different benefits.
Riding is considered to be an exercise of low impact. Hence it is a very suitable one for beginners. Here are the various ways in which the exercise bike can work on your body.
When using an exercise bike extensively, it works on the hamstrings, calves, your hip flexors, and your quads. In the working of the legs, it might seem as though the upright bike is more strenuous; it is the recumbent bike that proves to be more effective.
According to research, it is affirmed that the leg muscles are put to more work on the recumbent bike, rather than on the upright bike. It is evident that the recumbent offers more work to the hamstrings and quads.
While using the recumbent bike, the legs are mainly responsible for the powering of the machine. However, on the upright bike, more of the work is done by the core and the upper body, though, the leg also does work.
When using an upright bike, it is very pertinent to make sure your abdominal muscles are kept tight. This is to ensure proper form and control. With the reclined recumbent bike position, your glutes and abdominal muscles are exposed to efficient workouts.
To achieve the strengthening of the core on a stationary bike, your stomach should be drawn in towards your spine. This position should tilt your pelvis while causing your back to flatten. While in this position, you should perform an extension of the leg, by lifting one leg at a time, while the other foot pedals on.
Next, you should do arm raises as you pedal on. Ensure that your stomach remains drawn in. You should remain in the position of leg extensions, and arm raises for about 15 seconds, for each rep. This exercise should be repeated three times for three sets. However, in between each rep, there should be a 15 seconds break.
Conditioning your upper body:
While using an exercise bike, you can also work on your upper body by concentrating your effort. There are some bike models that have adjustable arm handles; this can be used in a rowing motion as you pedal on.
Also, the comfy positioning you get with the seat of a recumbent bike makes it possible for you to work with dumbbells or resistance bands, which aid in the conditioning of your upper body.
The muscles of the upper body are always naturally engaged more when you make use of the upright bikes because they are the main power of the movement of the bike. When you ride an upright bike, you can further condition your body by standing up as your ride.
Also, you should not underestimate the ability of the exercise bike to work on the heart. When you perform interval sprints, you can always reach and target your heart rate zone where your health benefit is the peak. If you want to know your heart rate zone, this is done by subtracting your age from 220; this will result in your maximum heart rate. However, the heart rate you target should be between 60 to 80 percent of your maximum heart rate.
When on the bike, the intervals can be achieved by altering the speed or level of resistance. You should know that intervals are very exhaustive and intensive. Hence, you should perform them only about 2 to 3 times in a week, and between each day, there should be a day of rest.
Advantages of Exercise Bikes
There are various advantages of exercise bikes, which makes it great equipment to aid your fitness, and overall physical health.
- Cardiovascular fitness
When you ride a bike, you are performing a cardiovascular activity. This will cause your heart to beat faster, while your lungs take in more oxygen.
When this activity is carried out for a long period, it causes you to either sweat or become out of breath. With this training going for a long time, it causes your heart to become stronger, and able to pump more blood.
Also, if this exercise continues for a long time, you would be able to breathe in more oxygen, and hence, it will be easier to breathe. Overall, you can always experience a decrease in your blood pressure; hence, a reduction in your risk for stroke and other heart diseases.
- Loss of weight
Riding a stationary bike will cause you to burn calorie, and doing this will lead to a reduction in weight. The more the calorie burnt, the more weight is lost.
- Toning of your muscles
Riding is a cardiovascular exercise. Also, it is a resistance exercise, and in the long run, it would help you in the toning of your muscles. You get perfectly toned in your lower body, the legs, as well as the hip and hip flexors. The main thing in getting this benefit is to add just the right amount of resistance.
- It is a safe form of exercise
Just as the name suggests, this is a stationary form of bike riding. Hence, you are exposed to a reduced risk of injury. It proves to be better than when being exposed to traffic and other causative conditions for accidents, outdoor.
You can always work out, even if the weather is bad outdoor. You can get all the benefits of riding, right from the comfort of your home.
Types of exercise bikes
There are various types of top exercise bikes, and the different bikes have different modes in which they work on the body of the individual.
- Upright bikes: Of all the various types of bikes there are, the use of the upright bike is just like riding a classic bicycle. This bike has the pedals aligned to the under of the user’s feet, as the user’s seat support his weight. The upright bike is mainly known to engage the core, as well as the cardio, lower body, and the upper body muscles.
The core of the user helps him keep the body in an upright position, while the arms are engaged with special moving handlebars. However, using this type of exercise bike can result in the user experiencing soreness on the rear and back. These bikes have the smallest footprint because of the very minimal design. These bikes are also very to transport from one point to the other.
- Recumbent bikes: The special thing about the recumbent bike is the reclining design that it features. This bike has a chair that allows the user to lean back comfortably, while the pedals are in the front of the user, though at an angle below. As a user, when in search of the most support, this is the best bike to go for. The handlebars are not located at the front but on the side.
With this design, there is a reduction in the pain on the joints. Just as the upright bikes, recumbent bikes can accommodate extra features such as monitors and TVs.
It is good to know that the lowest intensity workout is done on this type of bike. It also engages the fewest number of muscle groups. However, if you are the one that is coming out of back or knee injury, this is the best bike for exercise.
- Indoor cycles: These bikes are like upright bikes, but there are some differences. The handlebars are far away from the seat. This causes users to shift forward. With this type of bike, users can also workout while standing. This would cause more muscles to be engaged.
These bikes promote the burning of more calories than most of the other bikes. However, with this type of bike, you can not make use of equipment such as the heart monitor. As a result of this, you can always make use of an indoor bike without electricity. Gyms and fitness clubs all make use of indoor bikes in spin cycle classes.
- Fan or Air bike: This is another type of bike; however, it is sometimes classified as a type of upright bike. This bike is classified differently because it has a very special form of design.
The working of this bike is based on wind resistance, and it is the only form of bike that makes use of adjustable arms. With this bike, you can always perform both the upper and lower body exercises simultaneously.
Buying guide for your next bike
Yes, there are some things you need to watch out for when choosing your next exercise bike, and here is a list of some
You will want to check if your bike is easy enough to sit in. Irrespective of your routine, you should ensure that the machine you get is one you can always sit on for quite some time. Make sure you are not hurt before you start sweating. Also, make sure that it is very easy for you to grip the handlebar.
You should ensure that the bike you would be getting is easy to adjust. You should find one with a reasonable height, with respect to the handlebars. You don’t want one that is high, which you would not be able to adjust. Make sure that you extend your arms beyond your comfort level.
You should also check out for this. How noisy does your bike get when working? You should find out how much noise your bike makes when you are pedaling. This should be duly considered if there is a possibility of you performing late-night workouts, in case you are unable to fall asleep, or you feel pain.
- Easy Management of Level Adjustment
There are bikes with digital monitoring systems, which measures your progress. With this system, you can always set the difficulty with which you want to work out.You decide on the amount of effort you want to exert. There are also some bikes in which you can set the timer for the duration you wish to exercise. All these should be checked for in the machine you would be getting if you want it.
There are so many tracking that can be done, which include; knowledge of your desired heart rate, as well as the statistics of your workout. However, know that all these come at a price.
- Additional features
How much are you willing to pay for additional features? This is also key in the determination of the bike you choose. You might not need the high-tech bikes; you might just need the one that allows for your workout, whenever you are ready.
But, if you are the one that fancies all the tech of the accessories, you should be ready to pay extra.
- Your needs
What you need from the bike matters. Why you need the bike, and what you want to use it for. Your need for the exercise bike will determine the type of exercise bike you get.
If you are a professional athlete that needs all statistics and reports done, you should consider a high-tech bike, which comes at a high price. If you are just one that wants to exercise, you can go for a simple one.
1. Fitkit FK500 Steel Airbike with free installation assistance – Our Pick
This bike is user-friendly, and it is very convenient for a domestic workout. With the use of this equipment, very minimal space is used, and you can move it very easily from one place to another. This is one of the best ways for you to avoid cycling on the road. It comes with back support and a very comfortable saddle for better comfort. Having all the valuable qualities makes it the best exercise bike to lose weight.
The backrest is very suitable for aged people, and people who have problems that are related to the back. With the backrest, your back posture will be maintained in good shape. This is a comfort at its peak.
The saddle is very comfortable, and it is relatively easy to adjust the seat. This makes it just perfect for users of whatever height. All you must do is to adjust a knob. Hence, this equipment is suitable for use by persons of different ages.
You can easily adjust the resistance of this bike too, just by the turning of a knob. You can always change the intensity of the workout. The handles are also adjustable.
- The seat can be adjusted
- The handles are also adjustable
- The pedals are fitted with foot locking
- It features a unique fan wheel design.
Has an anti-slip wide base for extra stability
- You can always assemble it yourself if support for this is not provided.
- The handle can easily be adjusted
- Affordable price tag
- Many users have appreciated the quality
- There might be a delay in installation.
2. Powermax fitness exercise cycle for weight loss at home – Great Scanning Mode
This is the best of air bikes out there. This exercise bike features a 3 kg flywheel, and it has a design that allows for air to serve as the resistance to the cycle. With this, you are assured of an effective workout at the very comfort of your home.
It features a very good digital meter tracker, which takes note of the time spent, the speed with which you are cycling. It also features a scan mode which continuously toggles time, speed and distance. It also measures the calories burnt easily; hence; you can measure your progress.
It is a hybrid bike, on which you can move the handlebars while you pedal for a full workout. This way, you can always burn more calories even at a shorter period. You can also adjust the handles, for it to remain in a stable position. With the tension control knob, you can adjust the resistance level, which affords you different workout intensity.
It has a very comfortable seat, and you can always adjust the height. The pedals also come with locks that avoid your leg from slipping.
- It features a digital tracker of metrics
- It has an adjustable handle
- The height of the seat can also be adjusted
- Very comfortable to use
- A few users have appreciated the back support
- It is a multipurpose workout tool
- A few users found it tricky to assemble
- It might get noisy after some time of usage
3. Endless imported exercise bike for fitness – Great Mobility
This bike is beautifully designed, and the body frame is made of strong steel that ensures durability. It has a steady balance that allows you to go as fast as you can. There is also the presence of long handlebars, which has a soft foam cushion on its entire body.
You can place this equipment in any part of your home, without disturbance. It is designed to have a very compact body, that can afford it a great deal of mobility. This is the best bike you can get for your home or gym.
- It is made of steel
- It comes with handles that feature foam grips
- It has a very sturdy design
- It can take up to 80kgs user weight
- Seat height can be adjusted
- It is a very high utility to invest in
- It is very easy to assemble
- Comes with non-skid pedal for better foot grip
- Very easy to assemble
- Does not take much space
- Great for home exercising
- You might be disappointed with the slight difficulty in pedaling.
- Does not come with a good manual
4. Cardio max JSB HF78 Magetic Upright fitness X-Bike with back support exercise cycle. – Compact Design
This is the perfect exercise with backrest support and handles. This equipment features a superior 4 kgs flyweight and 3 cranks for a smooth cycling experience. You don’t have to worry about space, as it is foldable, which offers it a compact design. If you are looking to become slim or to reduce fat, this is the best equipment for you.
It is great for your general exercises and offers a great deal of cardio assistance. It also features a 16-level tension controller and features pedals that are non-skid. The foot straps are also adjustable.
- It is an upright magnetic bike
- It features display monitor for time, distance, speed, and total distance traveled per time
- It is of a foldable design
- It comes with 16 levels of tension controller
- It supports a maximum weight of about 100 kg
- It features backrest support
- It has a non-skid foot pedal
- The foot straps are adjustable.
- It comes with a resistance controller
- It is just perfect for home use
- It is very compact and saves a lot of space
- It is perfect for the health
- Great electronic display meter
- Do not make noise while using
- The speedometer is slightly different from the image displayed
5. Healthex Exercise Bike with Black Support for weight loss and home use. – Great for pumping blood
This is the perfect bike for your cardiovascular exercise, as it also helps reduce your high blood pressure. Your heart becomes effective in pumping blood. This will also increase the amount of good cholesterol in the body, while the bad ones are reduced. This is the best machine to maintain a very healthy lifestyle.
With this bike, you can effectively reduce mechanical stress in your back. This bike is good for you, as it does not put undue pressure on your joints. The electronic meter will display various metrics, and it enjoys an ergonomic design, with padded grips.
- It features a digital meter indicator
- It has an adjustable handle
- Strength adjustments can be made with manual knob
- Steel frame construction
- It is very easy to use
- It is very easy to set up
- Easy to adjust both the handle and seat
- Great for household setup
- Adjustable and strong product
- Works very smooth
- It might develop noise after several uses.
6. Welcare recumbent bike WC1588, India’s Most trusted fitness equipment’s brand – Inbuilt Dual-Grip Monitor
This recumbent fitness exercise bike offers 8 levels of magnetic resistance, with which you can maximize your workout, to increase the rate of training your heart. This bike features an in-built dual-grip monitor, which would ensure that you are kept in your target zone, thereby making it the best exercise bike with the screen. This would help you ensure better results. The bike also has a two-way rotation, which will increase the momentum of your speed, and help you achieve a seamless workout session.
The bike is equipped with a frictionless resistance system that allows you to manipulate your workout intensity, without having to stop you in your workout tracks. It also has the floor level adjustable bush, which can be used for floor adjustments. There are also handlebars located on the side of the console.
- It features an adjustable seat.
- It also features an LCD window monitor which display various readings and metrics
- It can support weight up to about 110kg
- It offers 8 levels of magnetic resistance.
- It occupies a total of 64?x26?x42.”
- Handle adjustment options available
- 1 Year of product warranty
- The monitor performs incredibly well
- It does not have disturbing noises.
- It is very firm and sturdy
- You get to burn more calories with ease.
- Easy to assemble and does not require experts
- Sturdy product with comfortable seats
- The screen might be prone to not turn off till the battery is removed.
7. Cosco CEB-trim 270 R recumbent magnetic exercise bike, 84×62×112cm – Great for Heavy Duty
These bikes are very popular in fitness clubs as well as gyms. This bike is very great equipment for warm-up when you are looking to engage with other equipment in the gym. When you have this equipment in your home, there is a very high possibility of you getting to continue other great workouts you see people do. It is a very fun and effective way for you to get things going in your home.
This machine is ready to perform heavy duty bike exercises, such as those designed to strengthen your muscles, as well as improving your efficiency and performance. It has been made with PVC materials in a bid to prevent it from slippering, and a foam to afford it better grips. The pedal is also cushioned with straps supports, which will be effective for prevention in injuries.
This is the best bike if you are looking for one for the family. The dashboard of the machine also features a hand pulse, which takes effective measurement of the heart rate.
- It features a meter display, which displays time, distance, calories, and pulse.
- The seat is designed to be adjustable
- It comes with a manual that aids in installation
- The bike is 84 x 62 x 112 cm
- It can take a maximum of 100 kgs of weight
- It is very easy to set up with the manual.
- Metrics can be easily measured
- The difficulty level is limited.
8. Cockatoo CFB-01 Smart Series Fan Bike with manual tension exercise – Great Ergonomic Design
This is a versatile bike that allows you to have your upper body workout, all on a single machine. This bike has an ergonomic design which engages your arm and upper body for a full body workout.
It focuses on your cardio and strength while your workout. The bike features an adjustable seat as well as a wheel. The dual action extended handlebars are meant for your upper and lower body. You can always adjust the resistance level very easily. Comfort is assured with the adjustable seat, and it features one of the very best sturdy frames designs you can ever get in an exercise bike.
The bike features an LCD window that shows vital information like speed, time, distance, and the number of calories you have burnt. The flywheel of the bike provides you with smooth, quiet, and a need for low maintenance.
This is the perfect blend of comfort and noiselessness. All these you get while doing your cardio workout. There features a resistance dial on the front, which allows you to control the intensity of your workout. You can easily adjust the resistance level just by the twitching of a knob.
With this bike, you get to increase your heart rate, and you get a smoother flow of blood around the body. The design of the bike is so that you can save so much space, unlike fan bikes. You don’t have to worry if you are going to get the same effect, you are sure to.
- It features an LCD monitor with which you can track calories, time, speed, and distance.
- It features a mesh belt transmission mechanism and magnetic resistance.
- It features a non-slip foot pedal
- It features a scan mode that can display all your metrics, in a sequence of 6 seconds each.
- It can take up to 110kgs of user weight.
- It is very easy to install
- You get value for your money, and you can assemble it easily.
- It is very great for HIIT workouts
- You get to enjoy very smooth, cardio workouts.
- Adjustable seat ensure proper positioning of the wrist
- Great for a cardio workout
- It is prone to clinking and clanking
- It can be a bit noisy if you are looking to make use of it at night
9. Reach AB-100 Air Bike Exercise Cycle with Moving Handles, Adjustable Cushioned Seat, Best Cardio Fitness Machine for weight loss. – Total Cardio Workout
This is versatile equipment which allows an elliptical and upper body workout, all to be done on one machine. This bike has an ergonomic design which would engage your arm and your upper body, to achieve a full body workout. This would target your cardio and train you for strength.
This bike is built to combine resistance technology and unmatched durability with performance. This would allow you to reach your full potential, right from the comfort of your room. Using this machine would require low impact, but it is set to be challenging and cause you a total body cardio workout.
It comes with an adjustable tension knob, which allows a variable resistance in your workout session. It also comes with pedal cranks which are designed to be close to each other, which would offer you a more realistic cycling experience. The pedal strap it features will also afford you some extra stability when you are carrying out high-intensity workouts.
- It features a belt drive system
- It has a cushioned adjustable seat
- It features a non-slip pedal with strap
- It can take 100kgs of weight
- It also has a monitor screen which shows speed, distance, time and calories
- You get value for your money
- It is very easy to assemble
- Very sturdy bike for exercising
- Rubber grip on the handles are noteworthy
- There is no assembling drawing in the manual, which could have made the process easier.
10. Lifeline exercise cycle 102 for weight loss at home with My spoga gym bag for men and women – Better Joint Health
This bike offers a lot of cardio benefits and lowers blood pressure. It makes your heart more efficient in the pumping of blood. You can improve the health of your joint with this equipment, just like any other form of aerobic exercise. You don’t need to worry about installation; the team would get it done for you.
- It is of a very portable design
- It features an electronic meter with which metrics are taken.
- It is provided with a manual knob for strength adjustments
- Handles can be repositioned as per the need
- It is very effective in increasing the mobility of the joint.
- It is very worth the price
- It is very easy to install and use
- Great performance
- The digital meter does not work at times
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no doubting the fact that there is a good number of exercise bikes out there. This guide would not be complete without shedding light on the frequently asked questions that would help you narrow down your list, thereby making the right choice. Let’s have a good look at some frequently asked questions.
1. What are the kinds of exercise bikes available?
Exercise bikes are of three types: the recumbent, the upright, and lastly the spin bike. Variants can also be made from these 3 types of bikes. The upright bike works like road bikes. It keeps you seated upright with the pedals below your torso.
The recumbent bike comes with a bucket seat that gives you maximum lumbar support. However, the pedals of recumbent bikes are placed in front of the user. The spin bike is quite modern. It works in a similar way to the outdoor racing bikes.
2. What can I do if my bike is too hard or soft to pedal?
Well, you should refer to your manual. You can get the tension cable of your bike adjusted.
3. What exercise bikes are best for small spaces?
An upright bike that can be folded is most likely the best option for small spaces. There are some upright bikes and indoor cycling bikes that come with compact designs.
4. Is it possible that I purchase an exercise bike that has been assembled already?
Most of the time, you may have to get it assembled yourself. In about 30 minutes to 3 hours, you should be done with it. In case you have no idea of how to go about it, you can get a specialist from the store, pay some extra bucks and have him assemble it for you.
5. What is the most appropriate saddle height?
This question is quite common. In a nutshell, when there is a slight bend in your knees after you’ve got your leg positioned on the pedal, then your saddle height is okay.
6. Can I use an exercise bike if I exceed the weight limit?
Every exercise bike comes with its maximum weight limit. You can always check for the bike that is suitable for your weight range before buying. This is to ensure that you keep your bike safe and free from problems. Prevention is better than cure, they say.
7. Can HIIT workouts be done on an upright or a recumbent bike?
Absolutely! However, you may not be able to do a hard cycle while in a standing position, but your high-intensity interval workouts can be done from a seated position.
8. Are exercise bikes easy to maintain?
Exercise bikes are quite easy to maintain. You only need to do the needful. Make sure you clean your bike regularly. Ensure that your screws are firmly in place. Get the chain often lubricated if it is a chain-driven bike. Also, get your batteries replaced when they start running low if you’re using an Electric powered bike.
With the above-mentioned information on the exercise cycle in Amazon, hopefully, now it will be easy to make your choice for the best exercise bikes. From the top 10 best exercise bikes available in the market, here are the top three expert picks which include Fitkit FK500 Steel Airbike, Powermax Fitness Exercise Cycle, and Endless Imported Exercise Bike.
Exercise bikes are a great way to work on your body. It is great warm-up equipment which should be present in your gym. You can also get a full body workout with the exercise bike, working on your cores, your upper body, as well as your cardio region. This bike of a high health benefit and it reduces the risk of accident, unlike the mobile bike. This is the best equipment for both light and heavy exercise.