10 Best Room Heater For Large rooms
Winter- the coldest season of the year is here! While the chilly mornings and evenings are something, we anticipate for. The cold might be too much to endure at times. Here is when technology has again proved to be the best gift to mankind, with the invention of the room heater.
This article provides a comprehensive buyer’s guide that includes all the essential factors you need to take note of before making a purchase. We also review the ten best room heaters for large rooms that are followed by the links to purchase them from Amazon.
The Noise Free Fan Heater
The Portable and Versatile Fan Heater
The Faster and Efficient Heating Device
The Stylish Design Room Heater
The Safe Room Heater
Quadra Safe Assured Heater
The User-friendly Model
The Energy-Efficient and Durable Model
Working Of a Room Heater
There are a wide variety and types of room heater available in the market for you to choose from. Each room heater comes with their own set of variations in the overall working. However, the basic principle on which a room heater works remains the same.
Most room heaters work using electricity that gets converted into heat energy. This heat energy is transmitted around the room for providing warmth. The primary and most essential component of this electrical appliance is the electric resistor.So, what happens when you switch on the heater? Well, as the electric current passes in the room heater, the nichrome wire parts or the heating coil gets heated. Now, as the electric current is further passed into the electric resistor, it gets converted into heat energy.
In convection or fan heaters the fan draws out the cold air from the surroundings. This cold air is passed over the heating elements of the heater to produce hot air that is emitted into the room. This warms up space or the room instantly as the hot air is allowed to circulate.
So, what happens in case of radiant or infrared heaters? They do not come with fans, so the cold air enters from below and passes through the heated coils. They use electromagnetic radiation and transfer the hot air to the surrounding through the top of the unit. They are efficient in heating small rooms or spaces.
Types of Room Heaters
Fan heaters are most commonly known as ceramic heater, convection room heaters, and blower room heaters. This kind of heater work using a fan which in turn passes the air over a source that emits heat. The air gets heated up and spreads to warm up the surrounding room.
Fan heaters are economical and less expensive to buy than any other heater. They use less electricity to function and are ideal for large rooms. However, they create noise which is audible like any other fan.
An infrared heater or a heat lamp transfers energy from its own high-temperature body to a body with a lower temperature using electromagnetic radiation. They include halogen, quartz, and radiant room heaters.
Like fan heaters, these heaters are also economical and provide instant heat however halogen heaters are not safe for use with children and they do not work well in a large room. They are cost and energy efficient. Also, they make less noise compared to fan heaters.
Oil Filled Room Heaters
They are known as oil-heaters, oil-filled radiators or a column heater. It is a very common form of home room heater used for domestic heating of large rooms. The oil that the heater is filled with is used as a heat reservoir while the heater is electrically heated for providing warmth in the surrounding room.
These room heaters are the costliest compared to the rest of the types of room heaters. They are energy efficient and are safe for children, unlike infrared heaters. The only con of this room heater is that cannot provide heat instantly.
We explain the factors which are to be considered before purchasing a room heater for the first time:
The first factor which is to be considered before making a purchase is the type of room heater which would be suitable for your room. Infrared heaters are not safe for children, and they cannot heat a large room. Thus, the ideal choice for large rooms up to 250 sq feet would be fan heaters and oil filled heaters which distribute the heat to every corner.
Go for a room heater that comes with adjustable thermostat control. This is very important since it allows you to control the temperature of the room. Hence, you can set the heat of the room as per your preference.
The room heater you buy should be safe to use. Thus, it is important to ensure that it comes with an overheat protection that prevents the body of the heater from getting hot while functioning. A tip-over switch is equally essential since it automatically turns off the heater in case it tilts. This prevents shocks or fire.
Room heaters are available in power settings of 1000, 1500 and 2500 watts with an additional 400 watts for the PTC fan. A higher power wattage allows greater and faster heating of the room. However, it also leads to high electricity bills. Thus, choose a power wattage after considering these factors.
Certain room heaters like the Dr. Infrared Room Heater comes with an IR remote. This allows you to operate the room heater while sitting on the bed with one touch of a button. The remote control feature ensures easy operation and also adds to the comfort and convenience of the user.
Portability and Physical Size
Moreover, the room heater should be compact and lightweight so that it adds to the convenience. The compact size of the room heater saves space in your room and can be placed at any place be it under a desk or on a table. Most ceramic and infrared heaters are portable as well as lightweight.
Number of fins
Most oil filled and fan radiator models come with options on the number of fins. A higher number of fins allows even distribution of heat throughout the room. This ensures that every corner of your room is distributed with warmth. You can go for a model that comes with 9, 11 or 13 fins.
No one would want an appliance that creates a lot of noise especially when it is placed in your room. Choose a room heater that comes with a noise-free operation. Most radiant and oil filled room heaters operate with zero noise and allow a peaceful environment to rest in. However, ceramic or fan heaters make a little noise due to the fan.
Room heaters are durable and have a long life. However, they are prone to manufacturing defects or even heating defects after a certain period. This is why it is important to go for a good brand that offers a minimum warranty of 1-2 years. This saves you from having to spend huge amounts on repair after just purchasing the product.
1. Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy – Our Choice
The Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX is the radiant heater which is a must have in every home with a large room. The 10.60 Lbs heater can heat a large room of up to 225 sq. Feet. It is the ideal choice for indoor use.
It is safe and easy to use because of its unique features like the auto-off. The room heater comes with a fold-down handle that makes it easier to carry around. The portable design makes it a great option for outdoor use as well. This room heater has to be our number one choice.
- It is a radiant room heat that weighs 10.60 Lbs.
- The room heater can heat a large room of up to 225 sq. Ft.
- The propane fuel type room heater comes with a minimum tank capacity of 1 lb propane cylinder.
- It comes with an oxygen depletion sensor.
- The running time at max BTU is 3 hours while that in min BTU is 6 hours.
- The fuel consumption rate of the model is 4,000 BTU = 0.044 Gal/Hr, at 9,000 BTU = 0.099 Gal/Hr.
- It has a maximum elevation of 7000 feet.
- The model is 100% efficient and approved for indoor as well as outdoor use.
- The room heater does not require electricity as it runs using fuel. This saves on your electricity bills.
- It comes with an auto-shut off that automatically shuts off the room heater in case it is tipped over, the pilot lights go off or if it detects low oxygen levels.
- It comes with a fold-down handle that makes it easier to carry around.
- It is very easy to operate, to light the unit you simply have to rotate the knob to pilot and push.
- The swivel regulator provides the ability to adapt usage from a disposable cylinder to a remote gas supply with buying a hose and filter.
- A few users complained about the pilot light working weirdly.
2. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater, 1500-Watt by Dr Infrared Heater – Easy Operation
The Dr. Infrared Portable Space Heater is known for providing 60% more heat than other room heaters. It comes with a dual heating system of Infrared Quartz tube + PTC. The USA engineered model comes with a three year USA warranty, and it is straightforward to operate especially because of its IR remote. The automatic shut-off timer also allows you to save on your electricity bills.
- This infrared heater comes with a dual heating system of Infrared Quartz tube + PTC for 60% more heat than others.
- It has a rating of 5200 BTU.
- Power consumption: 1500 watts and ampere: 12.5.
- The product weighs 25 lbs and comes with an electric cord of 72 inches.
- The model has an Accurate electronic thermostat ranging from 50-86 degree with push-button power and mode setting.
- It uses a standard 110 V three-pronged outlet.
- It is very easy to operate as it comes with an IR remote control.
- The fan is quiet as it comes with a low noise blower of 39 db.
- The room heater is the ideal choice for large rooms as it is capable of heating an area to 1000 sq. Ft.
- It is safe and convenient to use as it comes with over-heat and tip over protection which automatically shuts off the heater in case of over-heating or if it is tipped over.
- It has a 12-hour automatic shut-off timer that adds to the convenience and also saves on the electricity bills.
- As per a user review, there was a problem with setting the thermostat.
3. Varshine Happy Home Laurels Fan Heater – The Noise Free Fan Heater
The Varshine Happy Home Laurels Fan heater is a great option for fan heaters that offer the least noise while functioning as compared to other fan heaters. The model comes in a white plastic outer body of the highest grades for good quality performance and high efficiency.
The latest technology ensures faster heating of the room. Thus, you do not have to wait for the heater to provide warmth. You can adjust the temperature as per your preference from the different heat settings.
- It is a fan heater consisting of a white plastic outer body.
- It comes with a power consumption of 1000/2000 watts.
- The operating voltage is 230/240 volts.
- It comes with adjustable temperature control to choose different heat settings.
- It uses the latest technology for quick heating of the room.
- The model is easy and safe to operate since it comes with overheat protection.
- The adjustable temperature control allows you to choose from the different heat settings.
- The material used for construction is of high quality, thus durable.
- The fan creates less noise as compared to other fan heaters.
- It can heat an enclosed space such as a room much faster than a heater without a fan.
- As per a user review, the coil was not heating up even when the fan was seen to be working.
4. Usha FH 3628 PTC 1800-Watt Fan Heater – The Portable and Versatile
Usha is a well known name when it comes to air coolers, fans, kitchen appliances, home appliances, etc. The Usha room heater is a lightweight model that comes with two heating positions with a power consumption of 1000 and 1800 watts.
It is portable and has versatile use since it can be placed under the desk at work or a table next to you. The three quiet settings allow you to enjoy the comfort while generating fresh air circulation.
- This Usha room heater weighs only 971 g.
- It has a power consumption of 1000 and 1800 watts.
- It comes with an operating voltage of 230 volts.
- The room heater comes with safety features such as a tip-over switch and overheat protection.
- It comes with two heating positions.
- The heater comes with an adjustable thermostat control with three quiet settings-high heat, low heat, or fan.
- The product has a one year warranty.
- The fan heater comes with three quiet settings (high heat, low heat, or fan) that provides you with comfort while generating refreshing air circulation.
- The lightweight model has a portable versatility that allows you to position it under the desk to warm your feet or on the table next to you while reading or watching TV on the couch.
- The fall protection switch automatically switches off the heater in case it tilts or falls, preventing unwanted accidents.
- The heater does not turn on if the room is warmer than the thermostat setting.
- It is not suitable for a very large room.
5. Havells OFR – 11Fin 2900-Watt PTC Fan Heater – The Faster and Efficient Heating Device
Havells is one of the largest electrical equipment company in India. It has provided us with several great products that aim at making our lives simpler.
The Havells OFR room heater comes with a PTC fan that ensures quick and efficient heating along with three power setting options for you to choose from. It has 11 fins that ensure even distribution of warmth at every corner of the room.
- The room heater comes with a PTC fan for quick heating.
- It is easy to use and comes with three power settings of 1000/1500/2500 watts and an additional 400 watts ( Heater + Fan).
- The model comes with 11 fins that ensure warmth at every corner of the room.
- The thermostat control is adjustable and maintains heat without temperature fluctuations.
- It comes with a cord storage and rear safety cover.
- The product comes with a one year warranty.
- The plastic body of the heater remains cool during functioning to prevent any mishap.
- It is safe to use since it comes with overheat protection and a tip-over function that automatically switches off the heater if it tips or falls over.
- The PTC ceramic heating element of the room heater ensures faster, safer and energy efficient heating.
- It comes with an oscillating function that provides multi-directional heating.
- The model is easy to clean and also comes with a dust filter that prevents dust from entering.
- A user had complained that the fan heater does not heat the room efficiently after keeping it on for 1.5 hours.
6. Morphy Richards OFR 09 – The Stylish Design Room Heater
Morphy Richards is a leading brand of electronics that has introduced some great room heater models. The Morphy Richards OFR O9 is the ideal nine fin oil radiator that can distribute heat evenly throughout the corners of a large room.
It has a stylish and elegant design that offers a silent operation with an adjustable thermostat. It is safe to use because of its tip-over switch and also portable.
- It comes with a 2400 watt power consumption which includes a 400 watt PTC fan heater.
- It is a nine fin oil radiator that ensures that the warmth reaches to every corner of the room.
- The room heater comes with an autonomous power selector function.
- The model comes with a carry handle and castor wheels for portability.
- It comes with an adjustable thermostat that maintains heat without temperature fluctuations.
- It also comes with a cord winder for easy storage.
- The oil filled radiator includes an additional PTC fan and an adjustable thermostat that allows you to forget about winter.
- It has a silent operation and is safe to use because of the tip-over switch that switches off the heater in case the heater tilts. This prevents shock or fire.
- The stylish and elegant model comes with a low operational cost.
- It allows the room to stay warm for a longer period since the heater radiates heat even after being switched off.
- The castor wheels with mounting plates allow you to cart it from one corner to another while the mounting plate allows you to mount it at a desired height on the wall.
- As per a user, the quality of the product was not up to the mark, and it had manufacturing defects.
7. Usha HC 812 T 2000-Watt Heat Convector – The Safe Room Heater
This is another great room heater from Usha that uses convection to heat the room. It is one of the safest room heaters on the list because of its thermal cut-out feature that deals with voltage fluctuations. The nightlight indicator allows you to locate it even in the dark hence preventing any kind of accidents. Moreover, the PVC covered cord comes with copper conductors in it just for added safety.
- The Usha HC 812 T Heat convector comes with two power wattage settings, i.e., 1000 and 2000 watt.
- It comes with an adjustable thermostat for temperature control.
- It has an operating voltage of 230 Volts.
- The heater has three heating positions and two fan speed options which allows you to adjust the temperature.
- It has twin blade fans that ensure better heat distribution throughout the room.
- It comes with a PVC covered cord with copper conductors in it for added safety and a three-pin molded pug.
- The product comes with a one year warranty.
- The Usha heat convector comes with a built-in stand, and it can be adjusted to a height that can direct heat to a specific area.
- The thermal cut-out feature is inbuilt in it as a safety measure to deal with voltage fluctuations.
- The heater has a night light indicator that makes it visible in the dark.
- It comes with an easy carry handle that makes it convenient to carry around.
- It works smoothly and has a noise-free operation.
- No such cons were mentioned.
8. Bajaj Majesty RH 11F Plus With Fan – Quadra Safe Assured Heater
Bajaj Majesty is another common brand name when it comes to electronics. The Bajaj room heater ensures faster heating because of its PTC fan while the 11 fins provide warmth at every corner of the room.
The model has an international design and comes with a Quadra safe assurance. This includes the manual, and auto-thermal cut-out ensures overheat protection and the safety tilt switch that prevents shocks or fire.
- The Bajaj Majesty RH comes with three heat settings- 1000 Watts, 1500 Watts, and 2500 Watts.
- It comes with an additional PTC fan which ensures faster heating.
- Net weight: 14 Kg.
- It comes with an adjustable thermostat for temperature control.
- The model consists of 11 fins that ensure even distribution of warmth throughout the room.
- It comes with a 1.5-meter cord with a PVC material.
- The model has an international design and comes with Quadra Safety assurance.
- It is ideal for spot heating.
- The heater functions well without creating any noise.
- The manual and auto thermal cut-out ensure you overheat protection and also acts as a safety measure for voltage fluctuations.
- It comes with a safety tilt switch to prevent shocks or fire against improper installation.
- The castor wheels allow you to place it at any corner conveniently, thus ensuring mobility.
- The model does not require any refrigerant or oxygen hence ensuring a neat and clean operation.
- It heats the room only moderately.
9. Glen 7015 13 Fins Electric Oil Filled Radiator Room Heater – The User-friendly
Glen has introduced us with some stylish, modern and innovative range of products like the Glen 7015 electric oil filled heater that is available in power settings of 9,11 and 13 fins. It uses environmentally safe green oil that makes it user-friendly ensuring no oxygen burning, no suffocation and no dryness. The ISI certified model also comes with castor wheels and a handle for portability.
- It is available in 3 power settings with 9, 11 or 13 fins.
- The power consumption of the 13 fin model is 2900 watt which includes a 400 watt for the turbo boost ceramic fan.
- It comes with a thermostat to maintain the desired temperature.
- It is an oil filled ISI certified room heater.
- The model has castor wheels and a handle.
- The oil filled room heater uses environment safe green conducting oil.
- The heater provides us with a warm sunlight feel.
- It ensures no oxygen burning, no suffocation, and no dryness.
- It is safe to use since it comes with overheat protection.
- The castor wheels and handle allows you to place it at any corner of the room, thus ensuring mobility
- The room heater is not as effective as the other models.
10. Eveready QH800 800-Watt Room Heater – The Energy-Efficient and Durable Model
Eveready is a leading electronic product manufacturing company that has had a rewarding journey of 100 years. The Eveready QH800 is a plastic body room heater that comes with a steel frame that ensures even heat flow throughout your room. The build of the model makes it durable and sturdy.
It has the lowest power wattage of 800 watts hence saving a lot on your electricity bills.The model comes with a dual heat system that allows you to control the temperature as per your preference.
- It has a power wattage of 800 watts.
- The model comes with a dual heat system that provides cool air via a variable speed blower motor.
- It comes with twin quartz tubes for direct heating.
- The heater comes with a heating indicator and an LED indicator that notifies you when the heater is on or off.
- It has a tip-over switch at the bottom of the unit which needs to be pressed inwards.
- The product comes with a one year onsite warranty.
- The plastic build makes it sturdy and durable while the steel frame ensures even heat flow that keeps your room warm.
- The speed blower motor delivers advanced humidity control, high-efficiency cooling and optimal circulation of cooled air throughout your room.
- The dual heat system enables you to control the temperature of your room.
- It is safe to use as it comes with a tip-over switch and LED indicators that prevent unwanted accidents.
- The users have complained about the longevity of the product since it stops working properly after a certain period.
Room heaters are true saviors in winters. It provides warmth throughout the room and its corners making you forget the cold winter. They are available in different types and models making it difficult for a first-time buyer to make a choice. This article aims at solving this problem.
The article has provided you with a comprehensive buyer’s guide that explains all the important factors you need to take note of before making a purchase. Moreover, we have also reviewed the list of top ten room heaters that are ideal for large rooms.
The Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Radiant Heater is our number one choice because of its unique features. You can also choose from the rest of the 9 room heater options mentioned. The links to purchase them from Amazon is also mentioned at the end of each room heater model. We hope this helps!