Best Ceiling Fans
In countries like India, where the temperature is moderate, hot and cold, the best thing a person can rely upon for being in a comfortable zone is the use of ceiling fans. Be it Summer, Winter or Rainy season; ceiling fans are so versatile that it can be used throughout the year.
Unlike air conditioners, ceiling fans do not decrease the temperature inside the room, instead, it circulates the air inside which creates a cooling effect, so that you do not feel hot. Ceiling fans also increase the decor of your room, if you choose a stylish and elegant one.
Instead of burning your money on buying an Air-conditioner, if the temperature is not too hot, ceiling fans would be a better option. The energy consumption of fans is far low as compared to that of air conditioners. Gorilla fans, Havells fans, V Gaurd fans are some of the leading brands in ceiling fans.
Here, in this article we have provided you the key benefits of ceiling fans, how it works along with the different types and a comprehensive buyers guide. Further you will also find the list of 10 best ceiling fans in India.
5 Star Energy Saving product
Value for money
380 RPM for better air delivery
With Remote Control And Bldc Motor
Silent performer with V2 ball-bearing
With smart LED and i-Mode for sensing Room Temperature
Double Trim and Body rings, 390 RPM for better Air-delivery
Superior Air-delivery and Energy Saving Product
With Super reliable copper motor
Key Benefits of Using Ceiling Fans
- Maintains Room Temperature: The temperature inside a room remains moderate due to the circulation of air constantly. It gives you the feel of the windy and breezy atmosphere.
- Backup Option: In case of power failure or cutoff, ceiling fans could be a backup, instead of air conditions.
- Power saver: The power consumption of ceiling fans is very less as compared to that of AC. Thus, it saves energy and money.
- Gets rid of Flies: In countries like India, where you face problems of flies and mosquitoes, fans do get rid of these problems by making the room windy and breezy.
- Enhances Decor: It can improve the decor of your room by making it look efficient and elegant.
- Safe: Since unlike other appliances such as air conditioners and table fans, it is fitted on the ceilings and out of the reach of children and safer to be installed.
How Does Ceiling Fan Work?
Ceiling fans appeared first in the 1870s. At that time, it did not have motor fitted to it to make it work. Instead, it ran on the stream of water with the help of a turbine to drive a system of belts which made the blades of fan working. This system went popular those days, and it started to be used in restaurants, offices, and schools.
The present ceiling fans and other rotating devices work on the principle of Fleming’s Left-Hand Rule. It states that ‘ if a current carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a force and starts rotating.’
The main equipment used in ceiling fans are the electric motors. It has a job of converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. The ceiling fan capacitor torques up the motor, to make it start and run.As the current is applied, it reaches the motor and then the coils of wire that are wrapped around a metal base. As the current is passed, a magnetic field is set up. This magnetic field causes a clockwise motion that changes electrical energy into mechanical energy. As the coil is spinning, it captures a rotating motion which is then transferred into the blades of fans.
It is often believed that fans are used to cool the room or to provide a cooling effect inside a room. While this is not the truth. Ceiling fans only create a breezy and windy atmosphere which speeds up the evaporation process of the body which eventually makes it cool. Since fans work directly on the body instead of decrease the temperature of the body, it is unwise to leave a fan running when no one is inside the room.
Types of Ceiling Fans.
Ceiling fans come in a wide variety of ranges and they have been classified into different types as follows.
1) Standard Ceiling Fans
These are the fans which you find in most of the homes and rooms. Often, they come in a wide variety of designs and mechanism. Usually, they have 3-5 blades, may or may not contain lights below it. These fans are used where the ceiling is almost 9 feet tall. They are installed with the help of a down-rod which is hanged on to the ceilings.
2) Low Profile Ceiling Fans
These fans are also referred to as the ‘Hugger fans’ or ‘flush mount ceiling fans’. This type of ceiling fans should be preferred if your home is less than 8 feet tall. These fans do not use the down-rod, instead, they are directly installed on the mounting brackets.
Since, the blades are not too far from the ceilings, the air movement is less than the other types. It doesn’t mean that these low profile ceiling fans can be used only when you have a low ceiling, but it can work just as the other fans work.
3) Energy Star Ceiling Fans
Energy star ceiling fans come under both the above-mentioned types. These fans consume very less energy as compared to the other units, thus, saving your money on a longer run. It uses almost 20-30% less energy as compared to the standard units. The use of efficient motors and aerodynamic blades, allows these fans to consume lesser energy.
4) Dual Motor Ceiling Fans
Dual Motor ceilings are exactly what they sound like, they have dual motors. It has a central motor which is attached to a horizontal rod. Each rod has its own adjustable fan speeds and operations. Being more decorative and elegant in its look, these are more desired products. You can adjust the heads to your own wish and as well as the speed. Due to its adjustments, it is easier to direct air more to a particular direction and as well as cover a wide area.
5) Remote-Controlled Ceiling Fans
Even if you have a standard fan, low-profile or dual fans, most of these come along with a remote control. Just sit back and relax, control the speed and working from wherever you are. Adjust the direction, speed, and lights from where you are.
6) Damp & Wet Ceiling Fans
If you are wishing to have an outdoor ceiling fan, or you are living in a humid region, the fact that the motors may get damaged due to moisture and humidity may trouble you. These fans come up with motors that are resistant to the damp and wet atmosphere. These products come along a very wide range of design and operations.
Buyers Guide For Ceiling Fans.
- Select a budget for your product: Ceiling fans come in a wide variety of ranges that differ in size, operations and prices. Always have a rough idea in your mind and set the budget for your product so that it is difficult to choose from.
- Select the Location: Fans can be divided into mainly two types, such as the indoor ones and the outdoor ones. While the indoor fans have motor and blades which may get damaged due to the wet and damped condition. If you are living in a humid region or want to fit your fan somewhere outside, go for a Damp-resistant fan. These products have motors that do not get damaged due to humidity.
- Select Size: Always have an idea about the height of your ceiling.The best option of low height ceilings are the low profile fans that do not have a down-rod and are fitted directly to the bracket. For high ceilings, the standard fans can be used which has a longer down rod.
- Select Efficiency: The energy-efficient products are helpful for a longer run which consumes lesser energy as compared to the others. The best method to find the efficiency of a ceiling fan is by knowing its CFM If you want to fit the fan somewhere outside, choose a product which has a higher airflow capacity.
- Airflow & Blade Span: The amount of airflow which takes place during the running is measured in CFM. CFM stands for cubic feet per minute. Higher the CFM of the fan, more efficient it would be in its airflow.
Blade span refers to the diameter that is visible during the motion. Different blade span is applicable to different rooms. Smaller blade spans fans are fitted in small rooms which do not need greater airflow. While larger rooms need fans with bigger blade span. Have a rough idea in your mind as to where you want the fan to be installed.
- What is CFM: CFM stands for cubic feet per minute. The amount of airflow that takes place during the time of running ceiling fan is called its CFM. It is measured during high-speed. Divide that number by the watts used and we get the CFM.
Higher the CFM, more efficient the fan would be. 75 cfm/w is the minimum according to the Energy star Requirement.
- Noise: User would be annoyed by the fact that the product is too noisy and creates a disturbance. While buying a ceiling fan, noise is an important factor to select it. Choose something which is pleasant during its running and does not cause a disturbance.
- Motor Efficiency: The fans which you wish to buy from the market or online should have a good motor efficiency. Usually, motors run at about 75% of the rated load. Buy a product which has a good efficiency during running which would be useful for a longer run.
- Fans with Light: The market today is offering a wide range of products which have different functionalities such as lights. Buying a fan with light would add to your benefit as it provides two goals. You can even switch it off if you do not require it.
- Installation: After buying your product, it needs to be installed. So, keep in mind the installation techniques and get a user guide which would help you to install it after getting it home.
- Mounting Options: Installation of fans comes in two different techniques, one with a down-rod and one without. The standard fans have down-rod which needs to be hanging on to the bracket. This option should be considered if the height of your ceiling is well above 8 feet. The other option would be fans without a down-rod,which gets fitted directly on to the mounting bracket. This is applicable for ceilings which are way less than 7-feet height.
- Select Fan Control: Fan control options come with a remote control, wall control, reverse rotation or a pull chain. The user must know his requirement and choose the product likewise.
- Adds elegance to your room: The market of today has an ocean of ranges and varieties of products. Most of them add elegance to your home by improving the decor. Choose something which looks nice to your room.
- Fans for Summer/Winter: There are fans which run in both the direction such as clockwise and anti-clockwise. In summers, we need a fan which runs in the anti-clockwise direction at a high speed which provides a cooling effect inside the room. While in winter, we need a fan which runs in the clockwise direction at a low speed which would draw the air up onto the ceiling.
- Budget/Price: One of the most important things to be taken care while buying a product is the budget you have. Choose a product that fits into your pocket.
1. Gorilla Energy Saving 5 Star Rated 1200 mm Premium Ceiling Fan With Remote Control And Bldc Motor- Earth Brown – 5 Star Energy Saving product
Users are happy with a product in which they get the greatest amount of benefits and advantages. This is such product. Gorilla Energy Saving Premium Ceiling Fan comes with energy star saving that reduces electricity consumption up to 65%.
So, you need not worry about your electricity bill even though you leave your fan running. The great style and efficiency make this a great package.
- The power consumption at full speed is 28W
- Even during the power cuts, it works three times longer than the other ordinary fans which are commendable, as it would be helpful during longer power shortages.
- It comes with superior paint finish.
- The Air delivery speed and the RPM of this product are very good which gives better output.
- It delivers an air of about 220 cubics per minute
- The motor does not get heated easily even after a long run which increases the efficiency as well as the motor life.
- The power consumption is reduced by about 65%
- The added advantage in this product is its noiseless operations.It does not create a disturbance for the user during its working.
- It comes with remote control. Now set the running hours for the fan in one go which will switch it off on its own.
- The remote control comes with speed mode, boost mode, timer mode and sleep mode
- It is 5-star energy rated product and certified by Bee5
- The customer service for this product is quite good.
- It is powered by BLDA motor, which reduces power consumption as well as low heat loss
- The product comes along with a 3-year warranty.
- Limited options in colour and design, so, it becomes a problem for the users to get one, according to their home decor.
2. Havells Leganza 1200mm Ceiling Fan (Bronze and Gold) (With Four-speed settings) – Value for money
With the wide variety of products from Havells, this product Havells Leganza 1200mm Ceiling Fan (Bronze and Gold) comes at the top 10 positions. It has a blade size of 1200mm(48 inches) which provides a very good blade span to spread air evenly to a larger area. It is suitable for any room with an area of 65 square to 100 square feet.
This provides a superior air delivery and you will not feel hot. With metallic paint finish of the body, it makes your room look classy and elegant. It comes in two iconic colors like pearl white-silver and bronze-gold which suits the decor of any room and makes it aesthetically appealing.
- With four blades and four-speed settings, you can choose whether you want high-speed air or low air.
- It comes with the blade size of 1200 mm which provides a better blade span proving to be superior in its air delivery.
- It provides a motor speed of 350 revolutions per minute.
- Air delivery: 230 cmm
- Sweep size: 1200 mm
- It is designed for prolong performance
- It has four long blades, which delivers exceptional air amount.
- It has a stunning look and powerful performance.
- Comes in a classy metallic paint finish which adds elegance to your room.
- It is ideal for both home and office space
- It is a very durable product and comes with 2 years of warranty
- Installation is difficult.
- It makes a little noise while running.
- Bad customer service.
3. Usha Striker One 1200 mm 3 Blades Ceiling Fan (Rich White) – 380 RPM for better air delivery
The sleek and low maintenance Usha Striker One comes with a wide blade tip which provides a good air delivery in your room. It is a very reliable which does not create much of the humming noise. The sleek design makes your room look good as it improves your home-decor.
Usha is a trustworthy company which assures a quality product that operate at a great speed and gives the efficient performance.
- The product comes with 1200mm blades with a wide tip which provides a good air delivery and blade span for the better breezy atmosphere inside the room.
- The RPM of this ceiling fan is 380 which is quite good as compared to the other products.
- The performance of this ceiling fan is such that it can also work even in low voltages. This becomes helpful during power cuts and low voltage supply at some point in time.
- It is made up of superior high permeability grade electric steel lamination for an improved life.
- It does not create a humming noise which provides users a disturb less environment
- It comes with two years warranty
- It is a good and superior quality fan
- This product is very affordable with all the basic key features
- The weight of this product varies from the actual weight mentioned in the specification.
- It is available in only one color
4. Gorilla Energy Saving 5 Star Rated 1200 mm Ceiling Fan – Matt Brown – With Remote Control And Bldc Motor
Gorilla Energy Saving Ceiling Fan With Remote Control And Bldc Motor areefficient enough to save energy consumption in your electricity bill cycle.
This product ensures reliability for the users by providing longetivity of the ceiling fan. The Atomberg Technologies promises that this Gorilla fan is the most energy efficient fan.
- This product comes with BLDC motors which is energy efficient ensuring energy saving throughout the year.
- It comes with a smart remote control which helps you to operate your ceiling fan from anywhere in your home. You need not worry about getting up always to switch on/off your ceiling fans.
- It runs about 3 times longer on invertor as compared to other standard fans.
- Thick winding and permanent magnets is use in the motor which increases it life
- It consumes only 28watts at highest speed.
- It comes with a remote control, with Boost, Sleep & Timer Mode
- The motor does not get heated easily despite of long run, which ensures that your ceiling fan runs safe for a longer run.
- The bigger blade span allows superior air delivery to a larger area.
- three years onsite warranty
- It does not contain capacitor as other standard fans, so, it takes time to speed up.
- Can not connect it with Regulators
- The remote is made up of cheap plastic and it may become a problem if the remote gets damaged.
5. Lifelong BLDC High-Speed Ceiling Fan, 1200 mm, Brown (Energy Saving BLDC Motor with) – Power saver
Lifelong BLDC High-Speed Ceiling Fan, 1200 mm, Brown (Energy Saving BLDC Motor with Remote Control) comes with high speed superior performance which ensures uniform air delivery to a larger area. It comes with a remote control so that you can control your fans setting without getting up.
The BLDC (brushless-dc motors) are energy efficient motors that does not cause heat loss. It helps in saving money This is a pretty reliable product which users can choose.
- The product comes with BLDC motors which are energy efficientwhich saves energy as well as your money.
- The blade span comes as 1200mm which ensures uniform air delivery to a larger area.
- The remote control has speed, sleep mode and timer.
- On high speed it consumes only 28 watts
- The biggest advantage that comes with is its remote control operation. Your fan can be operated from anywhere in your room. Just sit back & relax.
- The sleep mode installed in this fan allows you to reduce speed after some hours. This allow the user to be free from getting up on their own and doing it.
- The fan does not create humming noise during its running which gives an ease to users.
- It has the capability of reducing your electricity bill by 65% with its energy efficient nature.
- The customer service is not so good.
- it has only one year warranty
6. Usha Striker Platinum 1200mm 80-watt Goodbye Dust Ceiling Fan with Anti Dust Feature (Lavender Chrome) – Silent performer with V2 ball-bearing
Usha started its business in 1934. Now after decades it is a very well-known and trustworthy brand in every Indian household. They have a wide variety of household products and kitchen appliances. With lacquer metallic paint and well-finished looks, Usha Striker Platinum adds aesthetics to your home decor.
Why go for something that does not match your home decor, this product is a perfect option for those who prefer beauty first. It does not create humming noise during its running. The product comes with a 1200mm blade span which provides a larger area to be covered during air delivery. And the best thing about this fan is that it is dust resistant.
- The product comes with V2 ball bearing which allows the product to not make noise during its running. This cause zero disturbance for people sitting in that room.
- The 1200mm blade sizes fans provide a good air delivery of 240 cmm
- It delivers air at 385 RPM high speed
- The aerodynamically designed blades provide a high lift angles and the wide blade tips provide a better air delivery inside your room.
- It is designed which works even at low voltages which proves to be helpful during power cut offs and low voltage supply.
- It is a beautifully crafted product which would match your home décor as well.
- It comes along with superior grade steel lamination providing better durability of the product.
- You need not to worry whether your fan gets dirty after a long run. It comes along with the anti-dust feature.
- It is coated with dust resistant paint. makes it easy to clean.
- It is a durable product with low power consumption of 80 watts.
- No such cons were mentioned
7. V-Guard Premium Imagina Mobile Control Smart LED 3 Blade Ceiling Fan, 1200mm – With smart LED and i-Mode for sensing Room Temperature
With immense colors to choose from according to your ceiling and home-decor, V-Guard Premium Ceiling Fan, comes with a wide range of products with elegant and beautiful color that will surely improve your home decor.
You can be happy, that you may impress your guests with a ceiling fan, because, it surely adds elegance to your room. The lights attached to the base of the fans provides you with an added advantage of lighting as well.
- The remote controlled operated V-Guard product helps you to operate your device from anywhere at your home.
- The i-mode installed with this device senses the temperature of the room and works likewise, if the temperature of the room is too cold, it reduces the speed of the fan and vice-versa. This is really a nice way to control the cooling inside your room.
- The LED lights lets sink in your mode with its wide range of colors.
- You can also use the rhythm flash fade mode feature for a party setting.
- It is remote control operated device that provides you with a wide range of advantages such as switching it on/off from wherever you need.
- This product can be connected to your IOS/Android applicationand you can regulate the fan using your smart phone.
- Dont bother about switching off your fans. The smart sensor will switch it off on its own.
- you can enjoy the LED lights depending on your mood.
- It has 8 different speed setting which can be operated by your smartphone.
- No warranty
8. Panasonic 12XAA 1200mm Ceiling Fan – Double Trim and Body rings, 390 RPM for better Air-delivery
Bring home a ceiling fan that provides you with a natural, comfortable and powerful breezy environment. Panasonic 12XAA 1200mm Ceiling Fan (White/Silver) promises that this fan is gives you the most powerful air delivery(260 CMM).
In addition to it, it provides you with a safety wire that prevent it from falling off from the ceiling. The looks that this fan has will obviously improve your home-decor as it has an elegant finish on its body.
Overall, this fan can be thought of buying by the users as it provides you with a lot of features. Now, you will be able to blow off heat as soon as you switch it on.
- It gives the most powerful air delivery of 260 CMM,
- The motors fitted inside this fan is high speed motor that provides a good air delivery and air thrust inside your rooms.
- With a powerful AC motor, this fan provides a highest speed of 390 RPM and the blade size is 1200mm which is broader at its end so as to give the maximum results.
- It comes with two years warranty
- The power consumption is 70 watts
- It has wider aerodynamical blades which provides best performance and durability.
- The product comes with a large variety of color and the design which makes your decor looks elegant and cool.
- The fan comes along with a safety wire. This wire helps the fan from falling off from the ceiling and makes you feel safe under it.
- The Powerful AC motor ensures superior air delivery all inside the room.
- It is equipped with unique double trims and body rings that improves its aesthetics.
- The customer service is not so good.
- The blade may start becoming noisy after use for sometime.
9. Amazon Brand – Solimo Swirl 1200mm Ceiling Fan – Superior Air-delivery and Energy Saving Product
- This fan comes with a blade size of 1200mm and highest speed of 380RPM which ensures air all across your room.
- Being an energy efficient product, this fan ensures users to save money on their electricity bills always.
- The motor equipped inside this fan comes with a unique mechanism of a double ball bearing which allows it not to hum or make noise during its working which is a good thing about this fan.
- It consumes 66 watts
- The body of this fan is made up of aluminium and metallized steel which makes the fan durable and strong for a long time run.
- Noiseless operation allows users to be in an ease during its working.
- It offers superior air delivery of 380 RPM with a blade size of 1200mm all across your room.
- This fan is cheaper as compared to all other fans mentioned in this list.
- Comes with 2 years of warranty
- Speed is not up to the mark as mentioned.
10. Lifelong High-Speed Ceiling Fan 1200 mm Combo, Brown + Ivory – With Super reliable copper motor
Lifelong High-Speed Ceiling Fan 1200 mm Combo, Brown + Ivory comes with 1200mm blade and super reliable and copper motor.
The operating voltage is 220-240V. The superior air delivery that this fan provides, allows the users to choose this product. The motor is reliable enough that it runs for a longer run without any trouble. It offers a sleek design and robustness.
- The 1200mm blade size provides a superior air delivery across all the room.
- The efficient copper motors are reliable enough that it can work for a longer run.
- Consumes 70 watt power which makes it energy efficient
- Comes in two unique colors
- It is super reliable and has a motor which works for a longer run without any trouble.
- It is sleek in its design and looks elegant in your room.
- It is corrosion resistant
- Affordable product
- Not suitable for the large area.
- Installation is painful
It must be very difficult to choose the best from all these products. According to the features and specifications mentioned about each product, Gorilla Energy Saving 5 Star Rated 1200 mm Premium Ceiling Fan must be given the top preference.
Another product that can be prefered by the users is V-Guard Premium Imagina Mobile Control Smart LED 3 Blade Ceiling Fan, 1200mm(Antique Copper). With immense colours to choose from, users have a wide range of option to choose the fan according to the colour of this would add elegance and beauty to your room. It also comes with liughts attached to its base which can be switched on/off according to users.