Top 11 Best Punching Bags
A punching bag is a sturdy object made from a variety of materials exclusively to get punched. It has been a way to train fighters for many many centuries. In the modern world, punching bags come in a host of different sizes, shapes and are made from many types of raw material for each and every type of training and fighting.
This article will provide you with types of a punching bag, why they are needed? how they are made? And a buyers guide. We have also mentioned our Best punching bags in India to help you choose the right one.
Top 11 Punching Bags in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Best heavy hanging punching bag
Best uppercut punching bag
Best uppercut punching bag
Complete Kit set
Best unfilled punching bag
Best Freestanding bag for kids
Biggest Bag on this List
Best Freestanding bag for kids
Why Punching Bags are Needed
Fitness and strength
In the modern world, we can see unfit people all around us. There are many reasons for this, but one of the main ones is the lack of activity in day-to-day life.
Punching bags can be hanged around the house and can be a fun workout unlike cardio training and weight lifting. Also, research has proven that punching heavy objects can give you a toned body, unlike cardio exercises.
Again, most people nowadays are working jobs that cause high stress or life, in general, has become more stressful. Punching a bag can provide a way to control all the stress and control, and the act of punching gives your blood a dash of dopamine, the feel-good hormone released by our body.
Self Defence and Confidence
If you live in a big metropolitan city like most young people, you would know that crime rates have been rising through the roof in these areas.
Training with a punching bag can help in warding off potential attacks especially for women. They also help in increasing confidence in one’s own ability to take on rough and tough situations
Improve Balance Coordination and concentration
This might seem like a thing that is not needed for you. But punching and boxing are some of the best exercises for balance, coordination, and concentration. It means a lower risk of falling and injuring yourself. This becomes even more important as you start growing older.
Punching bags are a one-time investment. A decent punching bag can last up to 20 years with proper maintenance. Also, due to aggressive competition between companies, costs have come down a lot in recent times. This serves as an advantage that every fitness freak should take advantage of.
Quick and easy
Unlike Running, Cycling or swimming, boxing won’t take hours to complete, as the intensity of the workout is higher. Also, no formal training is needed to box unless you want to become a professional boxer. All these factors make boxing a quick and easy workout
How Punching Bags are Made
Just like any other mass-manufactured product, punching bags are also made from a rigorous and planned process. It starts with manufacturing the leather if it is a leather bag. Goatskin is usually used due to more available these days but kangaroo skin is considered to produce the best leather for punching bags.
After the tanning of leather is done. The designing process starts. If the bag is made from vinyl or canvas, designing is the first step after the procurement of raw materials. Paper patterns of the different panels that will come together are drawn and placed on the casing material to cut them out using a metal die.
Once all the panels are made and cut out, they are stitched together with the top left open for the filling. The stitches are done through strong threads like nylon threads or polyester threads so that they don’t tear easily.
The partly finished bag is kept on a sleeve, attached to a hopper to support it while being filled. The filling is usually sawdust, water, sand, fabric or compressed air in some cases.
The top portion which was left open during filling is closed using the material used for casing(leather, vinyl, canvas). Torus, which is nothing but tubing is added so that zippers or laces can be added on top. The torus also supports hooks for hanging in some types of bags.
Types of Punching Bags
As stated earlier, punching bags come in many varieties. Let’s look at all the types that are predominant these days.
As the name suggests, freestanding heavy bags are not suspended from a wall or ceiling like traditional heavy bags. Most of them also have wheels to make them as portable as possible. They are very versatile and are good for both kicking and punching exercises. Due to this ability, they are usually preferred by beginners in every type of martial arts.
Compared to other types of punching bags, freestanding bags are not as stable or strong. This is an advantage as it improves a person’s strength training practice. Even heavy bags are available in various varieties based on the material used to fill the bags, type of suspension, durability, purpose, etc.
Hanging bags are the most common type of punching bags as they save a lot of space and are quite versatile too but are generally preferred for punching workouts more than kicking workouts.
They are used for muscle toning and improving muscle definition. They are suspended using a strong suspender from a wall or ceiling and are a must in every gym these days.
Angled bags are the improvised version of a hanging bag as they have the same functionality. However, where they differ is that angled bags have a slant surface to make it easier for users to practice uppercuts, which is not easy in a hanging or freestanding bag. It can also be used for other common purposes too.
The kickboxing bags have a peculiar shape and are different than other punching bags. They are incredibly thin and long when compared to other bags. This allows the user to practice kicks effectively while giving the instability and strength that freestanding bags fail to offer.
Upper Cut Bags
Uppercut bags are the smaller version of the angled heavy bags. They are only used for uppercut practice and generally, the angle of the slant surface is greater in uppercut bags.
They are mounted horizontally on walls instead of ceilings like in angled heavy bags. This means they also require a bit more space than an average punching bag.
Speed bags are one of the smallest punching bags around. They are also the lightest as they are filled with air instead of water, sand or fabric like other punching bags. The whole point of speed bags is to not improve strength but to improve the agility and hand-eye coordination of the trainee.
Due to the lightness in weight, the bag bounces back towards the user at high speed when hit and this is how it improves agility and other key aspects.
The traditional type of punching bag is quite similar to the speed bag in form and function. It is usually as big as a basketball and is also filled with air. It is believed to have generated in Mexico and hence is called a Mexican bag sometimes.
The teardrop punching bag has been developed to improve a person’s accuracy, pace, timing etc. As the name indicates, it is shaped like a teardrop and swings a lot due to the low weight. The main utility of a teardrop bag is to practice close-range punches. It is not versatile at all, as it cannot be used for kicking and other types of punches.
Buyer’s Guide For Punching Bags
As seen in the section about types of bags, punching bags come in a variety of shapes and each is suitable for a different purpose or training size. So a buyer should always think about his primary requirement before buying.
If you want versatility, buy a freestanding bag. If you want to practice punching, an angled or uppercut bag would be good. If you want to practice kicking, then the kickboxing bag would suffice.
Size and Weight
The size of the bag is another major deciding factor when it comes to buying a punching bag. The resistance offered by a bag is directly dependent on the size of the bag. A beginner should always consider buying a smaller bag as it requires less force. Using a bag that is disproportionate to your size and ability may lead to injuries.
As we already know, punching bags are made from a long list of materials. However, the main materials to look at before buying one are the material used for the casing and the filling used. Leather bags are fancier and cost more while canvas and vinyl are less expensive but also lower in quality.
The filling is important because of the impact it has on your hands when punching. A hard-punching bag made from fiber will be very stiff and has more impact on your bones and muscles. A soft fill, like ones filled with air, has less impact and a water-filled bag will be the closest in nature to a human body.
Filled and Unfilled
Talking about the filling and its impact, nowadays, more and more manufacturers are giving you the option of deciding the filling by just giving a punching bag with a casing and zippers.
You can make the bag hard-filled, soft-filled or water-filled based on your choice. Un-filled bags are also cheaper compared to filled bags due to a low cost of production.
Suspension method is also one of the main things to consider before buying a punching bag. A potential buyer should look at the amount of space he has before choosing the type of suspension. A heavy hanging bag is the most space efficient while an uppercut bag will occupy more space. If the bag needs to be as portable as possible, then a freestanding bag should be bought.
As we already know, Punching bags come in different sizes and shapes. Everyone has a preference for the size of the punching bag based on their own height, weight, strength, and level of training.
It is not a good idea to get the biggest bag possible and work out; it is not a good idea. There is a very serious chance that aspiring athletes may hurt them self by trying to take on a punching bag which is way beyond their capacity. So, always, safety should be the first priority
As with every big product, even punching bags have accessories that come along with it. They are generally used to increase the usability of the punching bag. Some of them are heavy duty suspension springs, punching bag covers or sleeves, anchor bags, and counters.
Sometimes, the suspension chain that comes with the bag may not be of top quality, in those circumstances, it is better to buy a 3rd party suspension method. When bags are stored for a long duration, they might accumulate dust and molds, to prevent this, sleeves and covers are used.
Anchors and counters are accessories that help in stabilizing a punching bag so that it doesn’t move around too much after being hit. They are mainly used for heavy bags.
Quality and Firmness
Just like every other product available, quality is one of the most important aspects to keep in mind before buying a punching bag. As a general rule, products whose cost is on the higher side and are from very big companies tend to have the best quality.
Firmness is one of the main measures of quality for a punching bag. It has a huge impact on the effectiveness of your workout. For filled bags, there is no real way to confirm the firmness without punching it, but for unfilled bags, it is dependent on the buyer on what material he fills it with and how well it is filled. To ensure maximum firmness, it should be filled by a person with experience.
Storage of the bag
Punching bag storage is an important feature that must not be overlooked. As we know that your punching bags can be hanged or mounted on to the stand.
If the bag you buy requires a stand, then you must keep the bag in such a place that has enough space to place the stand along with the bag. Also, when the stand is kept with a punching bag, it requires free space around it for easy practice.
If you are choosing the hanging punching bag, then it must have a dedicated room or outdoor space. Bags that are kept outdoors must be provided with good care. Choose the bag based on the storage location you have.
Branded one or local
While you are looking for a punching bag for a practice session, then it is better to choose the bags that are branded instead of a local one. Branded bags use high-quality materials in their design. High-quality materials last long. We have many brands that offer good quality punching bags.
How type matters?
Considering the type of punching bag when buying is a crucial one. As we have seen different types of punching bags and each has its own benefits. If you are looking for kicks and punches, then go for the heavy bag. A speed bag is ideal for gaining speed or increasing the speed and hand to eye synchronization.
1. Sportsoul Kids Boxing Set – Our Pick
Compared to most other brands on the list, Sportsoul has to be one of the smallest in size. The popularity of this brand is also not that high compared to giants like Everlast, Ringside or Century.
They are a small company based in Delhi, that manufacture not only martial arts equipment but a whole range of sports equipment and apparel for a variety of sports. They have their presence on almost all online channels present in India, making them easily available.
The particular product being reviewed here is from their kid’s range. This punching bag for kids is one of the highest selling products in its category on Amazon and has rave reviews.
The added advantage is that it is a complete set, rather than a single punching bag. There is no need to make separate purchases of gloves and safety equipment as it is already provided along with the punching bag.
- The bag is of a size, that makes it ideal for kids aged between 4 and 7. Consumers should be aware that this product would not be suitable for anyone above the age of 7
- The company claims that it is an ideal gift for a child if parents are inclined to set them on a journey of fitness
- The box consists of 1 punching bag, 1 pair of boxing gloves and 1 helmet
- The punching bag is 17 inches is the length and is filled with soft foam as any filling harder than that will be too hard to handle for kids
- The punching bag is primarily made of PVC on the outer side with a zipper on top in case it has to be refilled
- The gloves weigh 6 ounces each and will provide adequate protection to the soft hands of a child when boxing
- The boxing gloves and helmet are made of nylon to give it a sturdy and untearable feel
- The hanging mechanism only consists of a D-ring as the bag is not that heavy or large
- The straps for the gloves and helmet are made of velcro
- The addition of boxing gloves and helmet to the set is very commendable
- The value for money proposition of the product is very high
- The bag is very safe for kids as it’s filling is very soft
- The hanging mechanism could have been improved by adding another type of support like a chain or strap
2. Aurion Synthetic Leather Punching Bag – Best heavy hanging punching bag
Aurion is an Indian company that is known for manufacturing and selling sports goods of all kind. The brand was established in 2007, and since then, they have been providing quality products for Indian consumers and also exporting many items to various countries based on demand.
Aurion is considered to be one of the best punching brand in India. The most popular products that Aurion manufactures are cricket, hockey, football, boxing, fitness, and skating equipment.
Looking at their online presence, they are the leaders when it comes to boxing and fitness equipment in India. Aurion products will always be on the top of the best selling lists on Amazon India when you search for punching bags. In that, the synthetic leather bag is the most widely bought due to the versatility it presents.
- The outer casing of the Aurion punching bag is made of synthetic leather to ensure maximum durability.
- The size of the Aurion punching bag is 48 inches in length. It’s a universal size for heavy bags and is the most widely used size in training by professionals
- The width of the boxing bag is 18 inches, which means it is quite fat in nature and suited more for seasoned boxers. However, even beginners can use it for practice if need be.
- Aurion is providing hanging chains inside the box. The chains provided are obviously made from very strong materials like steel to withstand all the pulls.
- As a complimentary, boxing hand wraps are also included inside the package and can be useful during gyming and practice sessions.
- Aurion has been around for 10 years now and almost all their products are of very high quality. So when buying something like this, you can always be confident about the quality.
- The synthetic leather casing is one of the better casings available for punching bags and has the least disadvantages compared to other casings.
- The gesture of including free boxing hand wraps is a nice one and won’t be given by most other manufacturers.
- The width of 18 inches might be a bit daunting for many beginners and so it is only restricted to professionals.
3. Prospo Strong and Rough Punching Bag
Propso Punching bag is super strong and heavy. It is made with coated fabric that is sturdy and tear-proof.
This boxing kit contains an unfilled boxing bag, a pair of boxing gloves, and a heavy bag chain. The boxing bag weighs 1.49kgs and measures 32x20x14cm.
- It comes with synthetic leather gloves for regular and heavy sparring.
- The bag holds still with the help of the heavy chains.
- It can be easily stored away when not in use.
- This punching bag can be easily mounted in your home or at the gym.
- It is good for amateurs and beginners to stay fit at home.
- The boxing gloves are of superior quality that protects the knuckles and wrists.
- You can add an extra chain to adjust it to the height of teenagers who want to practice boxing.
- It doesn’t occupy too much space due to its slender design.
- The chain is rust-proof and strong.
- This punching bag can be installed indoors as well as outdoors.
- The gloves are not suitable for bigger hands.
4. RMOUR Unfilled Heavy PU Punch Bag
Rmour Punching Bag is made of premium material and is designed to protect the human body. It is easy to use and install.
One kit contains an unfilled punching bag and a hanging chain. It can be used to practice boxing, karate, martial arts, kickboxing, taekwondo, and Muay Thai
- The high-quality PU material is durable and lightweight.
- It can be used outdoors and indoors.
- The bag has a soft texture that does not hurt the body.
- It measures 6 feet and is suitable for shorter people.
- This bag weighs 2.59 kgs with a diameter of 18 inches.
- It is good for beginners who wish to practice at home.
- Since it is quite long, you can use it for multiple fitness programs.
- It is easy to install at home or at the gym.
- There are different sizes available starting from 2 feet.
- The soft material absorbs shock easily to protect the body from accidents.
- The bottom is made with a sturdy canvas material that protects it from wearing off.
- The material begins to fade if placed in direct sunlight or when in contact with rain.
- The stitching is not strong and it begins to tear open with rough use.
5. IWIN Punchcombokit Unfilled Punching Bag
IWIN provides you with different range of sports products, including karate pad, hand glove, cricket leg pads, cone marker set, punching bags, and more. All the products provided are made from good quality material.
IWIN punching bag is made from high-quality synthetic leather material, and the size is 48 inch. The punching bag must be filled with hard cotton and sand.
- The product includes chain and hand wrap
- Size of the unfilled punching bag is 48inch
- Synthetic leather material is used in making the punching bag
- The chain comes with hooks for easy hanging
- The material used is of high quality
- As the bag is unfilled, it must be filled with hard cotton and sand
- Build up quality is good
- Hand wrap must be used before punching to avoid rashes
- Easy hanging handles to attach the chain
- No negative point found.
6. Monika Sports PB 36 Synthetic Punching Bag
Monika Sports provide a wide variety of punching bags filled and unfilled. They use high-quality material, and the bags are tested for endurance. The punching bag is suitable for fitness training and boxing. It is made from high-quality PU material. The synthetic punching bag is tested, and its size is 4.5 feet.
- Synthetic material is used to make this punching bags
- The punching bag is machine made
- The un-filled punching bag is tested for strength and endurance
- Size of the punching bag is 4.5 feet
- It ideally suits for boxing
- Since it is easy to hang, it can be used at home also.
- ideal for beginners because of its size.
- Quality can be improved as the bag did not withstand heavy pressure punch
7. Byson Heavy Punch Boxing Kit Set – Complete Kit set
Bryson provides products like punching bags, gloves, ankle support wrap, wrist support. They provide good quality material. Byson is leading manufacturer in sports-related products. They export fitness items and boxing goods.
The punching bag is made from high-quality materials and looks like export quality material. The complete punching bag kit helps the beginners to practice safely.
- The heavy punching bag kit includes punching gloves, mouth guard, chain, skipping rope, hand wrap gloves, hand grip
- The bag is made from high-quality genuine strong Surf material
- Also, it comes with double stitching
- It looks like export quality material
- Moreover, the punching bag is ideal for players and competition
- Good and sturdy quality
- Ideal product for beginners as it offers other items in the combo.
- The bag costs more than the item for filling
8. CSI Heavy Unfilled Punching Bag – Best unfilled punching bag
When it comes to small manufacturers, it doesn’t get any smaller than CSI. They are an Indian manufacturer who has a meager online presence and mostly sell through offline channels.
However, this doesn’t make their products any less capable in terms of quality. The particular product that we are reviewing here is one of the most common punching bags that you will find in India due to the large availability in offline channels.
The punching bag is unique on this list due to the fact that it is made from SRF material rather than traditional materials like leather, vinyl or nylon. This process helps in keeping costs to the minimum but also ensures there is just a little drop in durability and quality.
SRF is a synthetic coated polymer. The polyester or nylon is mixed with high-quality polyvinyl chloride (PVC) to obtain the required quality, texture, and strength. The unique adhesive used to bind them together ensures no compromise in physical parameters. Here is the essential information about the unfilled heavy bag from the house of CSI
- The punching bag is made from SRF and as explained above, it helps in keeping costs down while not compromising on quality too much
- The product is available in various colors to please the varied tastes of the customers
- The punching bag is completely made in India and made individually from hand to ensure the quality of each individual product
- Another different aspect of the bag is the hanging style. It has 2 straps with chains inside, instead of 4 separate chains
- The product is hand-made unlike other bags which are mass-produced, this marginally increases the quality
- The chain comes pre-attached, so it is easy to install
- Quite economical in nature
- The brand is less known and after -sales service is almost non-existent
- The SFR material used is slightly lower in quality
9. Century Kid Kick Wavemaster – Best Freestanding bag for kids
Just like the previous product on this list, even this product comes from an American manufacturer that is well-known throughout the world. Century has been a pioneer in punching bag manufacturing for much of the 21st century and has sponsored many athletes at the peak of their game.
They also pioneered the idea of launching a kid line to ensure young people get to hone their boxing skills at a ruminative age. The kid kick wavemaster from their kid line is one of the highest selling products in its niche, here in India, as it is very versatile and can be used to practice almost every type of popular martial arts and boxing. T
he bag also comes in funky colors so that kids take a liking to it. Here is everything you would need to know before buying this product for your child.
- The kid kick Wavemaster has been designed especially for children and will be the right product to begin their venture into the world of boxing and martial arts
- The other USP of this product is that the height can be adjusted to suit the height of the children. Each child is different and will be unique in height and hence this feature is very important as the longevity of the product is increased. The range varies from 37-52 inches and even the child can adjust it
- To ensure the progress of the kid is not hindered, the outer casing is made from soft nylon rather than more rigid leather. The inner layer is also filled with foam to make it as soft as possible
- Utmost care has been taken to make sure the bag is made from less rigid materials to avoid injury
- The height adjustment is a boon and ensures kids of all ages and heights can use it unlike other kid focussed punching bags
- It is unfilled in nature, which means the consumer has to undertake extra costs to fill it
10. Everlast 100-pound C3 Foam Heavy Bag – Biggest Bag on this List
Everlast is a company that is known worldwide these days. Everlast punching bag instantly rings a bell in the minds of everyone who are enthusiastic about boxing as a sport and activity.
Everlast even sponsors some of the best boxers of modern times, so it’s no surprise that one of its products is making this list. Everlast revolutionized the boxing world by making subtle changes to equipment and improving them, most notably the boxing shorts.
The C3 in the name of this Bag stands for contoured closed cell technology. Since it is one of the biggest bag sizes available, the proportions and contouring need to be perfect to maintain balance, hence C3 technology is adopted.
- The weight of the bag is 100 pounds, making it one of the heaviest around
- Everlast uses a special filling that is a combination of synthetic and natural fibers along with sand
- The C3 Technology helps in dispersing the force equal on every inch of the surface and gives it balance
- The straps and shell is made from durable material, so the longevity of the bag is increased
- Extra pads on the surface, which acts as a shell and gives more protection to bag as well as the user
- One of the biggest available sizes in punching bags, making it apt for professionals
- This bag is made from very durable materials ensuring quality and longevity
- Good value for money when compared to other bags from premium manufacturers
- After a few years, the filling will start to sink and collect at the bottom. At this point, it will have to be refilled, which may cost some money
- The bag might be too heavy for people who are not well trained
11. Century Tidalwave Hydrocore – Best Bag for beginners
Just like Everlast, even a century is a company with a very good brand name and history. They are 1 of the leading manufacturers of martial arts equipment in the world today. It was founded in 1976 in a garage with 1 man workforce. Today, it is present in multiple locations around the world and employs thousands of people.
This astronomical rise in popularity has been mainly due to stellar innovations that have improved the martial arts world. The one clear advantage century has, is that it is owned and operated by martial artists who share a passion for the sport just their customers. This helps in identifying user needs easily.
The particular product that we are reviewing here is the century hydroxide tidal wave. It is a one of kind product on this list as it is water-filled. This punching bag filling is of water and it has its own benefits.
- The bag is 52 inches in length, 14.5 inches in width and height. This makes it quite small and that’s why it should be the preferred bag for beginners to learn boxing
- The make the hanging of the bag as perfect as possible, the century has given it three support systems. One is the standard web straps, sturdy steel chains and a D-ring
- It weighs only 7.7 kgs, making it perfect for amateurs
- Since the human body is also predominantly made of water, using a water bag like this gives a realistic feeling of boxing
- To ensure the safety of the user, a vinyl and foam layer is installed to reduce the impact on hitting it
- The water-filled technology gives a real-life feel while hitting
- The 3 kinds of hanging chains ensure it won’t buckle under its own weight
- The vinyl and foam layers make it safe to use
- Since it is quite small in size and weight, it can’t be preferred for professionals who have been boxing for a long time
- The cost of the bag is quite expensive in an Indian context
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to choose a heavy bag?
Choosing a heavy bag is again a crucial thing, the bag sways win you hit, and if you hit harder the more, it sways. If the bag sways too much, it will be difficult and hence while choosing the heavy bags, ensure that the weight is half of your body weight. if it is not exactly half, round up to the nearest value.
If you are choosing the heavy bags with fillings, ensure that it is 70% cloth filled and 30% leather scrap filled. Also, you may find foam or sand-filled heavy bags, but cloth filled heavy bags won’t hurt your hands badly. Also, they provide the flexibility of increasing or decreasing the cloth.
2. Which punching bag is best either freestanding or hanging?
Both the type of punching bags have their own benefits. Hanging bags are hanged from the ceiling, and it must withstand enough weight while freestanding are mounted on the base of stand or to top of the stand. Also, they are portable, while hanging bags are fixed in a dedicated place.
3. What is the ideal weight of bag for beginners?
generally, beginners can go with lighter bags instead of heavier bags. Lighter bags are softer but the sway more than heavy bags. If you want to start with a low impact, then lighter bags are ideal. If you want to improve punches, then the heavy bag is best. Somewhere around 40 pounds is the ideal punching bag weight.
4. Do punching bag build muscles? and what muscles does a punching bag work?
Yes, boxing/punching is the whole body workout, and when you hit or punch a bag, your muscles build in back, shoulders, arms, and even legs. The force required to hit repeatedly helps to build the muscles. The punching bag work on chest muscles, shoulder side muscles, triceps (back of the arms), leg muscles, butt muscles.
So that was a very comprehensive post about everything you would need to know before buying a punching bag for yourself, here in India. As you would have already noticed, there is a punching bag for every type of requirement based on the style of usage, cost or audience. So, it is easy to get confused.
If you are buying it for your kid, then the Century Kid Kickmaster is the one. The all-rounder on this list, which can be used by anyone for anything, is the Aurion synthetic leather punching bag it is at the top of the list.