10 Best Gloves in the Market: Product Review and Buying Guide
Cycling is a very popular hobby across age groups. It is important to perform this activity with the right set of equipment, one of them being gloves.
There are a number of benefits that the gloves provide while cycling, for both professionals as well as beginners.
Holding on to the handlebars for too long causes rash on the delicate skin of your palms. If you are prone to sweating, it will result in lower grip and control.
It will also aggravate the rashes as it will make your hand slip. A glove protects you from these problems, provides grip, and allows you to have overall better handling.
If this is your first time picking cycling gloves for you, then it would come a bit of a challenge.
Note that just like any other product, not all biking gloves are made equally. They vary in price and application, depending on what you’re looking for.
Where can I start?
Here are some of the things that you must do to make sure you choose the right product.
- Know the potential weather conditions you’re likely to encounter depending on your geographical area.
- Set a reasonable budget
- Know the size of your palm
- Read a comprehensive buying guide about cycling gloves (like this one!)
- Join online cycling forums
If you wish to not read our in-depth guide when it comes to buying cycling gloves, you may go directly to the relevant top 10 products we have reviewed. Carefully look at the pros and cons of every product and study its features.
However, if you want to know everything about cycling gloves, it’ll be better if you go through our buying guide, so you will be enlightened step-by-step. Also, you can find the FAQs in the end for a better understanding.
Top 10 Gloves
Best Choice for Protection.
best pick for sweat absorptiion.
best material used
Best pick for universal size
extreme shock absorption feature
Best choice for kids
Here are some of the common fabric materials and their respective features
|Polyester||Polyester material comes with a sweat-wicking ability and offers breathability. It’s a perfect choice for mountain biking during hot seasons. It also comes with water and windproofing features.|
|Fleece||This material is usually used as a lining for winter running gloves. It is designed to provide extra warmth and insulation for the rider. |
The only downside is that this material isn’t breathable. It’s perfect if you live in a colder environment or if you plan to do mountain biking during winter seasons.
|Acrylic||This material is breathable and is stretchy, it can just provide enough warmth. But it’s not made to resist some weather elements like water and wind.|
|Polypropylene||This material is used to resist tough weather elements like weather and wind but does not offer much functionality in terms of managing moisture. |
If you tend to sweat a lot during your ride, a set of gloves made from polypropylene will not be able to wick the sweat off the surface of the glove through the process of evaporation.
Types of cycling gloves
This type has some insulation feature to provide continuous warmth even when the temperature drops.
It’s a perfect choice if you are riding in cold weather conditions. It can be made with heavy materials, which could be a bit restrictive for year-round riding.
This type of glove aims to provide you with enough warmth that will keep you comfortable during cold winter runs.
It is made to be light and compact, so you can easily stuff it into your pocket when it is not in use.
It’s a set of gloves that are usually light in weight and is very breathable during the summer.
If you are looking for a light pair of gloves, then this type might be just the one that you’ve been looking for.
It offers enhanced bar grip and extra palm protection. It’s perfect for road biking.
Mountain bike gloves are either full-finger or mitt. They are designed for you to have a tighter grip on the bike’s handlebar. It also aims to protect your hands in case you fall from biking.
Deciding whether a pair of cycling gloves will be good for you or not depends on your purpose.
For example, gloves that belong to road riding will have different features compared to gloves for mountain biking.
You will also need to carefully consider the weather condition you are in. In cold places, you will need to look for a pair of gloves that could provide you with warmth and has weatherproof features.
Summer gloves will be lighter in weight and have added breathability. Before buying, carefully assess your priorities and check on these features:
When it comes to the fitting of your cycling gloves, make sure that it isn’t too tight or too loose.
If you don’t know the size of your palm, you can visit our FAQ section and learn how to measure it with the use of a tape measure.
The amount of padding will determine the shock absorption capability of the gloves can take in case you break a fall.
It’s important that you get an adequate level of padding. The extra padding also adds weight.
Wind and waterproof resistant
This refers to the ability of the gloves to bring the sweat to the surface through evaporation so your hands don’t get sweaty. It can also withstand other environmental elements like cold and wind.
Touch screen friendliness
This feature allows you to operate or use your phone while wearing your gloves. So, if you need to make a call or record a video, you won’t have a hard time using your phone.
Gloves that are made from microfiber, polyester, and fleece are very durable. Cotton is the least durable fabric material since it easily goes weary over time.
You also have to consider the design of your gloves. You don’t need to worry since there are many colors that you can choose from.
You can go all black or the ones spiraled with bright colors. There are mitt and full finger cycling gloves.
This feature refers to the ability of the fabric to draw the sweat away from the skin and to the surface of the fabric through the process of evaporation.
Different gloves will offer various levels of protection. The padding refers to the softness or the cushion you’ll feel around your palm.
There are gloves that come with additional reinforcement for impact resistance in case of an accident.
Most summer cycling mitts and running gloves have a protection feature that will protect you in case of a fall accident and will help in relieving tension while you are traveling for a longer period of time.
Another feature that you should check out is the glove’s breathability. If you are traveling during the summer season, it’s important that the fabric helps the sweat to evaporate and keep your hands dry.
Non-breathable materials mean that condensed moisture will be trapped next to the skin, which could make you feel a bit cold and uncomfortable during your journey.
Most cycling gloves will feature some synthetic material like leather, so you can get a better grip around the handlebar.
It could also have some silicone grippers on the fingers, so you can easily reach for those brake levers.
This feature aims to keep your hands dry during inclement weather. Though this may impact the breathability of the cycling gloves, so this might be not a good feature to look at during the hot season.
It is important that you consider your budget while purchasing your cycling gloves.
If you plan to ride often then it would be a great idea if you invest in a more expensive but quality set of mountain biking gloves.
Gloves that are made with quality lining materials and have more features usually are in the higher price range, but it would last for a longer period of time.
It might also be worth considering to buy a single pair for the summer season and one pair for the winter season, this will ensure that you can ride all year round no matter what the given season is.
1. Nivia Coral Micro Sports Glove – Best Choice for Protection.
Nivia Coral gloves are our top choice for best comfort. The material is made from microfiber material, which provides thick padding on your hands. It’s super stretchable that ensures a perfect fit.
It provides extreme comfort even for sports other than mountain biking.
The padded palm helps in protecting your hands. In case fall during biking, the pads will be able to absorb some of the shocks and reduce the impact force.
- It has weather-resistant features
- It can absorb rugged pressure points
- The wrist support is reliable
- The padding is thick enough for shock absorption
- It provides ample support for the hands and wrist
- The pair of gloves offer a decent fit
- It is a mitt cycling glove, which makes it easier for you to reach for the brake levers
- It can help you have greater control over your bike
- It is odor-free and helps the sweat wick off the material’s surface
- The material finish is average
2. Vingaboy Probiker Gloves – best pick for sweat absorption.
Vingaboy Probiker Gloves will give you the comfort that you need without restraining your hand’s movement. It is perfect for both gym workouts and cycling.
The sweat absorption feature prevents any discomfort caused by sweating. This pair of gloves is our best pick when it comes to sweat absorption.
It comes with a mesh at the back part which serves ventilation during heavy workouts.
- Great for cycling and gym workouts
- Made with a washable material
- Touchscreen friendly
- Comes with a padded front palm for added comfort
- Comes with adjustable Velcro closure for easy put on and take off
- They are easy to wash
- It fits easily to your hand’s size
- Ventilation holes in front of the shell to avoid discomfort
- Padding could be thicker
3. Geree Cycling Gloves
The entire palm of these gloves from Geree are made from composite windproof fabrics. they are lined with antiskid silica particles to prevent slippage. You can use your smartphone freely while wearing your gloves, as they are touch sensitive.
The gloves offer strong heat preservation and breathability at the same time. The non-slip wear-resistant silicone helps you firmly grip the handlebars.
- Multi-purpose use for various sports activities
- Comfort lining that absorbs sweat and dries quickly
- It can stretch in multiple directions
- The anti-bacterial treatment eliminates odor
- Great overall quality
- Suitable in windy conditions as they are windproof
- Tough and durable in nature
- It has a snug fitting which keeps the fingers warm
- Cannot resist heavy wind
4. Kobo Cross Fitness Training Gym Gloves – Best pick for universal size
- It comes with an easy to take off strip
- Extra padding gel and shock absorption keeps you comfortable
- Comes with a breathable mesh and quick-drying fabric
- Strong stitching makes it durable
- Full finger fitness gloves
- Offers superb shock absorption
- Extra padding strengthens your grip and provides more comfort
- Breathable mesh prevents sweat buildup inside the glove
- The gloves have a smell initially that wears off with time
5. Handcuffs Fashion Warm Cycling Gloves – extreme shock absorption feature
The Handcuff full-finger cycling gloves are our best pick for extreme shock absorption feature. It has thick padding that provides you with extra safety and protection while you are tackling mountain biking terrains. It has a pretty design and looks fashionable on the hands.
- Perfect for rigid terrains, since it provides extra safety in case of a fall
- This product is made from a combination of neoprene, lycra and elastic mesh fabric
- The pair of gloves has microfiber lining, which could provide extra protection
- It comes in a top fashion design
- It offers breathability and sweat-wicking features
- It is easy to clean
- It is touch screen friendly
- the strap has an anti-slip feature
- The zipper provides easy fitting and extra comfort
- It comes with a reliable shock absorption feature
- It helps in vaporizing the sweat around your palms when you’re riding
- The thick padding might cause discomfort
6. Maurya Enterprises Finger Gloves – Best Grip
This gym glove has a lot of uses apart from cycling. It is the perfect companion for every fitness enthusiast out there. It comes with an attractive design which will make you look cool while riding your bike or while lifting some weights.
This is our top pick when it comes to grip. Since it is made of stretchable material, it will easily fit in your hand while keeping you comfortable. The Maurya Cycling Bike gloves have an extra layer wrap that gives more grip and support.
- Comes with a stretchable material that will conform to the shape and size of your hand
- The padded foam feature adds extra comfort and tighter grip
- Easy to wash and clean
- Ergonomic foam padding for better comfort
- It is durable and can withstand rough usage
- Long wrist strap for more wrist support
- Heavy duty stitching prevents the glove from falling apart
- Can be used for a variety of workouts
- Made of high-quality leather
- Not meant to be used in cold conditions
7. Lala Life Shockproof Road Bike Bicycle – optimum breathability
If you are planning to cycle during the summer season, this is the product for you. If you are looking for gloves that offer maximum breathability, then this one is a good option to consider. It features a soft material lining that provides extra comfort while riding.
- It has long wraps that provide extra protection to your entire wrist
- This pair of gloves can also be used when you do weightlifting exercises in the gym
- It is made from polyester material with breathability and sweat-wicking features
- Made with soft material lining
- It features an easy to take off strip
- Convenient to use during summer seasons
- The padding could have been thicker
8. Good Life Stuff Gym Gloves/Sports Gloves – Ultimate comfort
This set of cycling gloves is our best pick for universal size (for adults). It fits any adult palm and is made from durable genuine leather. It improves your cycling experience.
It is a mitt cycling glove, which means that it has breathability and sweat-wicking features. It will allow you to go for long rides during the summer season.
They can also be worn when you are doing other sports like hiking, motorcycle riding, gym, weight lifting, and jogging.
- It can easily be cleaned with a cotton cloth
- This set of gloves can offer weather-resistant protection
- The gloves have a durable material lining, which allows you to have a comfortable grip
- The padding is enough to ease discomfort when you’re biking on a difficult terrain
- It is made with genuine leather material
- It provides decent protection for the palms
- High absorption capacity
- The padding is not sufficient for greater shock absorption
9. Royal waves Aprodo Energy Gloves – versatile glove
The Royal waves Aprodo Energy Leather gloves are ideal for versatile use.
If you’re the type of person who engages in activities like mountain biking, football, goalkeeping, motorcycle riding, weight lifting, rowing– this could be the perfect pair of gloves for you.
It can withstand rough and rugged use. It is made with durable material, which allows it to withstand harsh weather conditions. The material is made of leather and has decent breathability.
- The pair of gloves have a durable strap
- The Flexi-strap wrist closure does not give uncomfortable pressure on the wrists
- It keeps your wrists dry and comfortable
- Has good breathability to keep your palms sweat-free
- Provides a good amount of protection for your hands
- The strap is comfortable around your wrists
- Can’t be used in colder seasons
10. Kurtzy Knee Elbow Guard Gear for Kids – Best choice for kids
This is a 3-in-1 package for every cycling enthusiast out there. It consists of a pair of high-quality gloves, knee guard, and elbow guard for safety.
The ergonomic design gives it the ability to conform to your body easily. It won’t affect your comfort while keeping safe when riding your bicycle. The knee and elbow guards are suitable for motocross racing too.
They play a huge role during impact or accidents. When combined with a quality helmet, you’ll be highly protected while biking.
- Comes with a durable knee and elbow guard
- Offers breathability and comfort with its mesh fabric and foam pads
- Also works for snowboarding, wakeboarding, kickboxing, hunting, and other physical activities
- Made from 40% Polyester and 60% PE(Polyethylene)
- The knee and elbow pad offers cushioning during impact
- It is easy to adjust and remove due to its one-adjust release strap system
- They are very comfortable to wear
- The material is breathable
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why do bikers wear gloves?
The majority of bike riders wear gloves for safety and comfort. Most gloves have silicone material that allows for a tighter grip even when you feel hot and sweaty around your palm area.
During summer, it’s possible that your hands get a little sweaty and when you don’t have any gloves, you may not get a proper grip. Your hands could potentially slip and you would lose maneuverability on your bike.
Also, during the winter, gloves can provide you with extra warmth around your hands. It will make you feel extra comfortable even if you are up to travel for a longer period of time.
2. Does having the right pair of cycling gloves make a difference?
Yes, of course. Cycling gloves have extra padding at the palm which can make a huge difference especially when you’re traveling for a long period of time.
If you’re the type of rider who travels a lot, getting the top comfort cycling gloves will be your best bet. Quality cycling gloves will also provide you with top-notch protection, in case you fall.
Since your hands are not moving as much as your legs, it can get really cold around your palm area. Having cycling gloves will provide warmth around your hands especially during chilly weather.
3. How should winter glove fit?
If you’re wondering how you could determine whether you have the right size of cycling gloves or not, here are some of the things that you should look at.
When you put the mountain gloves on, your fingers must be able to almost touch the ends of the glove, but not totally. The gloves will naturally stretch once you clump your fist.
Having a material allowance around your fingertips act as a pocket that will effectively trap warmth around your fingertips. Just make sure that you avoid buying gloves that might push against the material at the end of your fingertips.
4. What material is warmest for gloves?
Look for a pair of gloves that have deerskin leather, which can naturally resist cold and can provide you with all-day comfort. There’s also a material called the “Polar Fleece”. It is lightweight in material and could be a warm alternative to a leather material.
You can also opt for cotton/foam insulation, this is an economical option and also lightweight. We also suggest that you take a quick look on our buying guide to check out the different materials of cycling gloves.
5. Are wool gloves the warmest?
Buying a pair of wool gloves that have a cashmere linking will definitely provide more comfort and warm around your hands. Just take note that the warmest and best are usually the most delicate materials.
Gloves that are made with polyester-fleece lining or a wool polyester are good materials during winter seasons.
6. Are gloves that are made from sheepskin provide more warm?
Yes, when cycling gloves are made with natural wool lining, it can definitely provide more warmth during cold weathers.
The leather material can be bit heavier and firmer compared to a slink lambskin. Just note than sheepskin gloves normally gives you a looser fit compared to other types of gloves.
7. How do I know what size gloves to buy?
It is important that you know the exact measurement around your hand in inches. In measuring your hands, you can use a tape measure.
8. Are there waterproof gloves?
Yes, there are. In fact, this type of gloves is tailored so you don’t feel cold around your palm area when you are riding.
This also provides you with extra safety, since having sweaty palms could potentially weaken your tight grip, which could lead to an accident.
9. How could I clean my gloves?
It really depends on the material of your gloves. If it’s made with a wool lining, then the last thing you may want to do is to brush off the dirt off it. You’ll just have to carefully rinse and repeat from an anti-bacterial detergent.
If your gloves are made from leather, then you will be needing to rinse your gloves thoroughly. You can use your fingers and hands to squeeze the water off the gloves.
Just keep in mind that you are not allowed to twist or wring the gloves, it may deform or distort the shape of the gloves.
You may also want to flip the inside of the gloves, so it’ll be easier for you to clean it. You can use any anti-bacterial detergent. You can also use white vinegar or any hand soap. Just don’t brush it or twist it.
10. How to pick a pair of cycling gloves for racing?
Of course, you’ll have to look for racing gloves if you’re planning to join a bike racing competition. Your best option will be to go for a pair of gloves that is light in weight and can provide an exceptional grip.
The breathability of the material needed to be considered as well. The glove must be made for excellent performance riding. This will ensure that you’ll have the optimal grip and better control over your bike, even if your hands get of sweaty.
11. What are some of the features I should look at when buying gloves for deep winter?
There are times when it gets really cold. If you have to deal with the rain, snow, and temperatures drop between -5 to +5 in degree Celsius, then you’ll have to look for a pair of gloves for deep winter.
12. What is a full finger cycling glove?
This type of cycling gloves is designed to protect and shield your hands from the potential branches and trail debris.
It also strives to provide control of the fingertips while providing a soft cushion around your palms.
13. Which material is better for wind and weather resistance?
A pair of cycling gloves that are made from a polypropylene material is effective for providing comfort and safety while you are tackling a cycling terrain on difficult weather.
But just take note that this material has a downside too as it is not so effective when it comes to managing moisture.
After going through this article, we are sure you will have found the best pair of cycling gloves to fit your needs. After taking into consideration all our tips and guides, you have enough knowledge to make an informed decision. If you are still confused, you can have a look at our favorite picks.
Kurtzy’s Glove Kit not only gives you a pair of good gloves, but also leg guards and elbow guards. This is all the equipment you need to protect your body while cycling. However, if you are looking for just normal gloves, Kobo Cross are an ideal all-round choice and worth the premium price. The Nivia Coral Sports Glove will do just fine, if you are on a budget.