Top 11 Swimming Goggles in India
Swimming is one of the best hobbies and recreational activities. Not only is it a good workout for your body, but also fun and entertaining. It is a simple activity that can be done by all age groups to stay fit and healthy.
Before you go for a swim, it is important to have some accessories with you, one of them being swimming goggles. Since the pool water contains chemicals like chlorine, it can cause irritation to the eyes on direct contact.
Goggles protect your eyes, allow you to see underwater, and help you focus on your swimming performance.
So, here’s an insight providing you with all the information needed why you should get swimming goggles, the different types of swimming goggles, the material used to make swimming googles, Tips to take care of swimming goggles and the buying guide – point to be noted before buying one. Also, we have put a list of best swimming goggles online that you can consider while looking out for one.
Top 8 Swimming Goggles
Why Are Swimming Goggles needed?
It’s completely a different world underwater, and for you to see every bit of it, you require swimming goggles. Here are a few other uses:
1. Protection from chlorine
Though chlorine is used as a disinfectant in the swimming pools, a direct encounter with it may turn out quite painful for you. In case a little amount of pool water enters your eyes; it’s enough to make you a teary, red-eyed person.
Swimming goggles prevent chlorine water from entering your eyes.
2. Fitting of corrective lenses
In case you wear spectacles or lenses, you might be worried that you won’t be able to enjoy swimming as you cannot wear the eyepieces in the water.
But there’s a solution for it- you can buy swimming goggles that have built-in lenses, which provide you the same experience as your spectacles or lenses in daily life.
In a nutshell, swimming goggles provide your eyes with 3 layered protection. It not only gives you a clear, unstrained view of the world that exists underwater but also helps you to see any obstacle in your path (which may help you in changing your course in time).
What is the material used in making Swimming Goggles?
It is important to talk about the material used for making swimming goggles. Plastic is widely used in its making, since it is lightweight and easy to use. Not only this, manufacturing lens using plastic involves just a simple molding process.
Polycarbonate, polyamide, and polypropylene are some examples of plastic materials that are used. But goggles made from plastic can easily be damaged due to scratches, so it is important for you to take right care of them.
Tips to take care of your swimming goggles
To keep your swimming goggles scratch-free and durable for a long time, there are a few do’s and dont’s. Each one of them is described in detail as follows.
- Before storing your goggles, rinse them with fresh, cold water and let it dry.
- To keep your goggles scratch-free, keep them in the case provided with the goggle or a soft pouch where it doesn’t come in contact with anything.
- After a swim, do let your goggles air dry before storing them in the pouch.
- Don’t expose your goggles to extreme heat as it can melt the gaskets.
- Don’t expose them to sunlight as it can damage the rubber straps.
- Don’t wipe the inside surface of the lens with anything as that can damage the anti-fog coating or scratch the lens.
- Don’t store wet goggles. Always let the goggle dry out completely before storing.
- Never put the goggles directly in your swimming bag. That’s where the goggles come in contact with the minute sand particles, which scratch the lens of the goggles.
How to thoroughly clean your goggles?
To ensure the durability of goggles, it’s important to give it a thorough cleaning once in a while.
Step 1: Rinsing of the goggles
- The rinse ensures that all the chemicals used in the pool like chlorine, which may have come in contact with the goggle are removed. If these chemicals are not removed, they may affect the goggle’s longevity.
- Another benefit that is provided by rinsing is that it prevents the deposition of minute particles of sand, salt, and dirt on the goggles.
- In the end, the goggles are shaken to remove the excess water from them.
Step 2: Cleaning of the straps
- For cleaning the straps, they should be dipped in soapy water and then rubbed gently.
- The lenses and gaskets should not be brought in contact with the soapy water.
- After rubbing, rinse with plain water.
- Allow it to dry out. Do not let it dry in direct sunlight.
Sadly, the above methods won’t turn out to be fruitful in case you’ve dirty goggles! But don’t worry. We’ve got a solution for that. You need to use white vinegar in the following manner:
- Fill a bowl with hot water and add five tablespoons of white vinegar in it.
- Submerge your goggles in the bowl for approx. 2 hours.
- Remove the solution and wash the goggles with cold water.
- Shake the goggles to drain the excess amount of water and then let it dry.
What if the anti-fog coating falls off?
The anti-fog coating on your goggles is just a transparent layering. So, don’t worry if it wears off. Here a few things you can do to keep the anti-fog properties of your goggles intact:
- An anti-fog spray can be applied
- The Sloshing Technique: Keep a few drops of water in your goggles. It constantly sloshes around your goggle’s lenses as you swim and prevents the formation of fog.
Types of Swimming Goggles
There are a variety of googles that serve different purposes. Here are some of them:
1. Open Water Goggles
These goggles are known as ‘Open Water Goggles’ because of the wide view that they offer to the swimmer. Also, the view is also enhanced by the wide and curved lens.
Also known as fitness and leisure goggles, open water goggles are the most comfortable and apt choice for beginners. They are highly durable owing to their large gaskets.
On the other hand, the gaskets don’t suck out water effectively even though they seem to be in good condition.
2. Competition Goggles
Also known as training goggles, competition goggles provide better visibility owing to transparent sides.
Because of their ability to handle rough water and to stay in shape for a long time, they are worn by swimmers who spend a lot of their time in training sessions.
The comfort level is improved thanks to the adjustable nose bridge, which can be adjusted as per one’s requirements for a proper fit.
3. Swedish Goggles
Swedish Goggles are also used in competitions but what makes it different from the competition goggles is the absence of a soft gasket.
The lens and the frame are embodied into a single plastic piece, which makes them the smallest goggles of all the types. As they come in only one size, you need to get a customized fitting for these goggles.
These goggles have a good lifespan with its adjustable and replaceable nose width and straps.
These goggles have the same functionality as that of a diving mask. It is rarely seen in the pools, they are worn by divers.
The reason being that they are the heaviest and the largest of all types, which increases the drag in the open water and hence acts as a hindrance.
This will give you a glimpse into the things you must look for in goggles before buying it.
The most important part of a swimming goggle is its lens. Here are some types of lenses that are commonly used in swimming goggles:
- Metallic Lenses
Also known as mirrored lenses, these lenses are the most suitable choice for those who swim frequently. It is also used by people who compete in swimming competitions because they reduce glare.
For those who do a lot of backstrokes, these lenses are what you should have in your goggles.
But owing to the lens’s dark tint, it is not a good choice if you are swimming indoors or if you’re swimming in the dark as that it reduces your visibility to a great extent.
- Clear and Light Colored Lenses
For early morning swimmers or those who swim indoors, the light-colored lens is the best choice.
The clear lenses ensure the highest level of visibility and hence are most suited for winter swimming. However, they are not a good choice if you are swimming in a brightly lit place as you’ll keep squinting.
- Dark Colored Lenses
In case you’re looking for a multi-purpose goggle, then you should look for the one that has dark colored lenses. These lenses are a perfect balance between the above two types.
Hence, they turn out to be the perfect choice on a cloudy day, a satisfactorily lit indoor pool, or even a casual swim.
Straps act as a framework that supports the goggle on your face.
Most of the goggles have a buckle system that allows you to adjust the length of the straps as per your comfort and requirement. The Swedish goggles have a single elastic strip that serves the purpose of a strap.
Some goggles even have a button system that provides for the adjustment of the strap length. Make sure that the straps are flexible enough to give your goggles a solid grip thereby covering your head.
A standard feature that you must look for is the anti-fog feature. It provides a clear view of underwater.
Adjustable nose bridge
Always go for a goggle that provides the bonus of an adjustable nose bridge, that allows you to tighten or loosen the goggles as you like.
Comfort and fit
When buying a goggle, make sure you’re comfortable in it, else you will need to constantly adjust it while swimming.
Check if the gaskets leave any marks or lines under your eyes. If they are present, you should adjust the tightness or look for another product.
The color of the lens
Depending on your visibility requirements and the environment in which you’ll swim, you can make a choice that justifies you on both fronts. Some of the colors have been discussed below, along with their most suitable application:
This color offers you the greatest level of visibility as it brightens everything.
They provide a moderate level of brightness.
They are a good choice for swimming on a cloudy day.
While determining what goggles size would suit you the most, you need to keep a few points in mind- your nose width, eye sockets, and the circumference of your skull. Comfort at all the three fronts will give you the best choice.
Everyone knows the harm that UV radiation can do to us. So, to provide yourself protection from them, you need to look for the feature of UV Protection in your goggles, as they’ll act as a barrier for the sun’s glare and will help to see even in bright surroundings.
8 Best Swimming Goggles
1. Prime Deals UV and Anti Fog Protection Swimming Goggles
Prime deals offer professional clear swimming goggles that have an adjustable strap with a plastic buckle. The goggles come with UV protection and anti-fog features. They are also leak-proof.
- They have a flexible silicone frame and improved nose piece that will not leave any mark
- Ergonomic design
- The inner surface of the lens prevents the formation of fog
- Comfortable to use because of the adjustable straps
- This is a great option for outdoor swimming
- The anti-fog feature is not very effective
2. Hebrik Unisex Slip-Resistant and Anti-Fog Goggles
Hebrik offers a wide range of swimming goggles of premium quality.
The lightweight swimming goggles are coated with UV protection and anti-fog features. It comes with an adjustable strap. A soft silicone gasket is provided for convenient use.
- Hebrik goggles are convenient to use both indoors and outdoors
- Mirror coated lens provides protection from UVA/UVB
- To avoid blurry vision, the lens has an anti-fog coating that provides clear vision underwater
- They are cushioned with a double seal design to prevent leaks. This double seal does not allow the water to enter the goggles
- The frame is soft, making it possible to wear for a long swimming session
- Comes with shatterproof lenses for durability
- It does not offer enough fog-resistance
3. PrimAlite Swimming Goggles –
This is a great pair of swimming goggles from PrimAlite, who manufacture their products with the highest quality materials for better performance and comfort. It is coated with the optimum amount of advanced anti-fog coating to keep the goggles crystal clear.
The goggles come with other accessories like a pair of nose clips and a pair of ear plugs for custom and precision fit. The silicone gaskets are soft, comfortable and create a perfect seal so the water does not enter your eyes. It does not put unwanted pressure on your face.
- 100% UV protection
- Anti-fog coating to provide clear underwater vision
- Mirrored lenses reduce glare and offer better visibility
- Sweeping peripheral vision
- The ergonomic design ensures it is comfortable to wear
- The lenses are shatter-proof
- It is easily adjustable and prevents leaks
- Comes with earplugs and nose plugs
- Starts fogging after extensive use
4. AREO Anti-Fog Coated Swim Silicone
People who wear spectacles and lenses often find it difficult to find swimming goggles that cater to their needs. If you are one of them, then AREO swimming goggles is the product you are looking for. These goggles are a blessing in disguise for the myopic people so that they can swim without straining their eyes.
The comfort level is enhanced by the polycarbonate frame of the goggles. The lenses are made up of anti-breaking PC material, making them very durable.
- Suitable for those with a myopic vision in the range of -1.5º to -4.5º
- A polycarbonate frame
- Silicone rope
- Three nose bridges with an adjustable head strap
- Tinted lenses
- The anti-fog feature gives a clear vision
- Protects your eyes from the harmful UV rays
- Water does not enter inside the goggles
- The tinted lenses make it suitable for swimming in bright environments
- The quick-release strap provides for the comfortable wearing of the goggles
- The goggles are not suitable for people who do not have myopic vision
- The dark color of the lens doesn’t make it a good choice to be worn while swimming in a dim environment
5. Viva-612 Swimming Goggles
VIVA Sports provides an amazing combination of fitting and stretch in its VIVA-612 swimming goggles. The rubber straps provide watertight protection to the eyes, without putting too much stress on your face. Hence, they are the perfect choice for beginners.
- Tinted lenses
- Rubber straps with adjustable knobs at their ends for a comfortable fit
- Detachable gaskets that provide for thorough cleaning of the goggles
- A perfect fit owing to the elasticity of the rubber straps
- The slight tint gives a clear view in bright sunlight
- It is durable and has a long life
- It does not come with an anti-fog coating
- It is not suitable for those swimming in the evening or night, as the lens doesn’t provide sufficient brightness.
6. Aqua Sphere Kaiman Swimming Goggles
The Aqua Sphere Kaiman Swimming Goggles enhances your visibility with a field of view of over 180º. This is possible due to the material used in the manufacturing of lens- Plexisol. It incorporates an advanced smart fit technology.
It has a diverse range of lens options- transparent, smoke and black. The eye gaskets are based on EXO-Core technology. The small size makes it perfect for children.
- A stable nose bridge
- It has patented curved lenses
- The micrometric strap adjustment buckles for a comfortable fit
- Silicone split straps
- It has an effective anti-fog feature
- The googles provide complete UVA and UVB protection
- Scratch-free lens
- Superior transparency
- The goggles do not come with an adjustment for the nose bridge
7. Aurion 999 Swimming Goggles –
Aurion uses the latest environmental treatment technology in its goggles to enhance anti-fogging ability. It is carefully coated to filter out harmful sun rays and protect you in harsh outdoor conditions.
- The silicone material ensures a snug fit on different face structures.
- It has a flexible frame that provides extra comfort
- It does not hurt the nose and does not leave a mark on the face
- It has an ergonomic design for a comfortable fit
- Good build quality
- The goggles may be too loose for people with smaller faces
8. Speedo Unisex Adult Futura Classic Goggles
The Speedo swimming goggles, with their rubber straps, provide utmost comfort to the swimmer.
It can be easily adjusted by the sliders provided at both ends. The transparent color of the lens enables the swimmer to see clearly. Along with the clear lens, you also have an option of a shaded lens.
- A soft frame for extra comfort
- Clear lenses for clear visibility even in low light
- Water-tight eye gaskets
- Anti-fog for throughout visibility
- Clear vision underwater
- Creates a vacuum on the skin so that the water doesn’t pass through
- Complete protection to your eyes with UV protection lenses
- It has a non-adjustable nose bridge
- The anti-fog feature is not up to the mark
Having gone through the article, you should have a clear picture in your mind about the kind of goggles you want to go for. Considering the multiple factors, your requirement, and the wide range of products described, you will end up with the perfect swimming goggles for your needs.
Out of all the products we have listed, we believe Speedo’s swimming goggles to be the best. It surely comes at a hefty price, but it is worth it.
If you do not wish to spend as much but still want some premium features, PrimAlite’s goggles are the perfect choice for you. On the other hand, Hebrik’s goggles are the cheapest among all but still gets the job done.