Top 10 Measuring Tools
In our day-to-day life, we measure so many things in order to live an organized life. We measure time to do our chores, we measure our weight to lead a healthy life, and measure things so that they fit in perfectly. This is why we need a few set of measuring tools to serve the purpose.
Measuring tools are devices used to measure a number of things. Various records suggest that the early civilization used forearm, hand, and fingers to measure the length.
Sun and moon were used to know the time, while stones & plant seeds were served the purpose to measure the volume. But now with such advanced technology, we can get accurate numbers within seconds.
Measuring tools are uniform and based on a standard system. Though there are hundreds of measuring tools, they are mostly divided into various types according to their use.
In this article, we have listed the most commonly used measuring tool types with a detailed buying guide. To help you make your search simpler, we have also listed the top 10 common measuring tools with user reviews and answered the most common questions.
Top measuring instruments list that we recommend
Built for precision measurement
Multiple size measurement in one place
Quality on a Budget
Must have for every household
Editors choice in glucometer
Durable wall clock
Displays accurate weight
Types of Measuring Tools
It’s hard to find someone who has never used a ruler. Ruler plays a vital role in helping measure the length. Historical facts suggest that the ruler was used by Indus valley civilization and it has been said that William Bedwell designed the first ruler in the 16th century.
Types of the ruler – Rulers can be divided into various types according to their use and shape. Here are three prominent types of rulers that we use daily.
- Straight Ruler
- Curved Ruler
- Folding Ruler
Folding rulers are further divided into different subtypes as per how they are folded. Out of these two distinct types of rulers, people use dominantly are measuring tape and tailer’s tape.
2. Measuring Tape
The measuring tape is one of the measuring tools in carpentry which is typically a metal or nylon tape with length measurement marking on it and can be folded into the coil shape inside an enclosure.
Carpenters and other professionals often use this measuring tool.
3. Tailor’s Measuring Tape
Tailors extensively use the measuring tape for their professional needs and are one type of foldable ruler.
Tailor’s measuring tape is almost the same as the one mentioned above the only thing that differs is its looks. Like carpenter’s measuring tape, it doesn’t hold long because it is made from high-quality cloth or plastic. Also, it does not fit into the encloser.
As a handy tool for the tailor, it is also used for sewing purposes. As it consists of a flexible ribbon of cloth that can be rolled and kept in the pocket.
4. Measuring Cups
Usually, they are transparent, and one can see what they have inside and measure the volume by reading the scale on an external surface.
They are available in various sizes counting from 1 cup (100ml) to 1000ml and more than that for commercial use.
A measuring cup provides an accurate reading of the volume of liquids. They can also be used to measure the dry ingredient, but the amount may vary if the dry ingredient is compressible.
The thermometer is a temperature measuring tool that not only doctors but many common people own.
Nowadays, thermometers are available in various forms that serve different purposes like measuring body temperature in clinics, noting the temperature of cooked recipes in the kitchen, etc.
Types of thermometers –
There are several types of thermometers, and they are often categorized according to their use. But most of them fall under two categorize as follows –
- Clinical Thermometer
- Laboratory Thermometer
Clinical Thermometer – As the name suggests these thermometers are used in clinical settings to measure the body temperature of patients.
Previously doctors used to have a thermometer with mercury, but nowadays it has been replaced by the digital thermometer.
Laboratory thermometer – These thermometers are used in the laboratories while conducting various scientific research. They can measure the temperature higher than the clinical thermometers. Apart from the laboratories, they can also be used in the industry.
Other types of thermometers include electronic ear thermometer, forehead thermometer, pacifier thermometer, kitchen thermometers, etc. Out of these, kitchen thermometers are widely popular.
6. Angle Guage
Angle gauge is one more important tool that professionals use. It is used to measure an angle between two surfaces. In some professions like metrology, obtaining accurate angle data is an absolute necessity, and angle gauge solves that problem.
Fortunately, many advanced angle gauges are available in the market, and you can pick one and start working. They are cheap and provide accurate data. Digital angle gauge not only provides precise angle data but can also function as a level.
As technology advanced, these old glucose meters were replaced with digital glucometers. Digital glucometers are capable of analyzing the droplet of blood for glucose concentration.
The process of determining an approximate glucose level within that drop and provide the report on its digital display. Some of them even synchronize with smartphone applications and provides more options for the data.
The clock is a modern way of measuring the time that helps humans to stay on time. Every person uses it on a daily basis, and it deserves a place on our list for the same reason.
People are using devices to keep track of time for thousands of years, and the current system that we use was developed just 2000 years BC.
Digital clocks are now capable of handling various tasks. They can tell the accurate time, put an alarm for you, and even keep track of your activity like how many steps walk, how many calories you have burned, etc.
But all of these functions work as a value-added service while the main aim of the clock always remains the same, i.e., to keep track of time.
9. Weighing scale (Weighing machine)
The weighing scale is one more measuring tool that people are using for a long time to measure the weight of an object.
The weighing scale has undergone a huge modification and improvement during the 18th century as the industrial era began and the necessity of a large weighing scale has emerged. Modern body weight measuring scales are known as smart scales.
10. Pressure Gauge
The pressure gauge is used to measure the amount of force applied by the fluid against the given surface. This force is measured in the unit of force per unit of surface area, and for this, the pressure gauge device is used.
Pressure gauges are used in a variety of things and having one in your arsenal can help. The most common example of such use is a water pressure gauge, which extensively used in the water heater to analyze the pressure of water.
Another prominent use of these gauges is to measure the air pressure in the tire. They are called a tire gauge and a convenient tool to have. It helps to determine the exact air pressure within a tire so you can air your tire as per the requirement.
The most important use that of the pressure gauge is in a blood pressure monitor. Though it doesn’t consist of any ideal pressure gauge, it works on the same principle.
When a doctor wraps the blood pressure cuff around your arm and pumps up the air, he uses an air pressure gauge to calculate the blood pressure within your arteries.
A caliper is a handy tool for engineers, and it is used to measure the distance between two sides of the same object. It is used in a situation where accurate data about the distance between two sides of an object is necessary.
It is also called a ‘Vernier scale’ and it was invented by a French mathematician ‘Pierre Vernier’ in 1631. Earlier they were used to measure an angle, but today it is extensively used to measure the distance.
Caliper has several variants now, and the name of those variants depends on the exact function of the caliper. For example today, we have an inside caliper, outside caliper, odd-leg caliper, a divider caliper, and even digital caliper.
Digital calipers are the best caliper to have as they can provide an accurate reading on the digital display. If you are looking to buy one, then go for the digital caliper.
Another useful measuring tool is ‘Square’. You will find it with every carpenter or DIY enthusiast. If you love doing woodworking at home, then you should have this in your toolbox.
It will help you to find the right angles when you are framing. Apart from this, it can help in making the markings or cutting lumber. Today we can see the various types of squares that range from the age-old L shaped to the one that looks like a triangle.
As the name suggests speedometer helps people to measure the speed of an object, widely used in vehicles to determine at what speed the vehicle is moving.
The electric speedometer was invented in 1888 by Croatian Josip Beluši but it is first patented in 1902 by German engineer Otto Schulze, and it is picked up by the automobile industry during 1910.
Since then it becomes a part of every automobile to calculate the speed. Measuring the speed of the vehicles helps the driver to control the speed accordingly.
People also use a speedometer for their bicycles. They mount it on the handle of the bicycle to determine how fast they can drive.
Some specially designed speedometer for bicycles also measures the distance traveled. If you are looking for the best bicycle speedometer, then we recommend the Sunding multi-function waterproof bicycle speedometer.
The purpose of the odometer is to measure how far a certain object is traveled. Unlike a speedometer, almost every vehicle has an odometer that calculates how many kilometers it is traveled.
The odometer is also known as an odograph. Fitness enthusiast uses bicycle odometer to keep track of the distance they covered on a bicycle.
Though odometer can be used as a stand-alone device, people usually buy the devices that serve the purpose as speedometer and odometer.
Measuring Tools Buying Guide
Your Requirement – First of all, decide what measuring tools you require for your work and what exactly you want to buy. If your requirements are clear, you can start researching for that tool and gain more knowledge about it.
Clear marking: One of the most essential points to consider while buying a measuring tool is that the markings are specified. No matter the type of tool you buy, ensure the measurement markings are precisely mentioned in bold black color that would not rub off with constant use.
Features to consider – Once you finalize the tool that you need, find what functions or feature you want. Never buy a device that lacks the feature you are looking for. Consider for what kind of work you are purchasing these tools and figure out the probable feature you need in them.
Durability – Not every tool in the market has great durability. Some of them have a low-quality build than the others but compromise on the durability. So, visit the store and see if the tool is sturdy enough to withstand various impacts during use.
Cost factor – Cost plays a vital role. It will decide what quality of tools you will get. Buy the pocket-friendly tools that provide maximum features and has excellent durability. Though it is true that quality comes with the price, many times you can get a good product at a reasonable price.
Ease of use – Almost all measuring tools mentioned below come with ease of use. If you find it difficult to use the product either look for an alternative or spend some time learning its functionality.
Discussing and reviewing every measuring tool is beyond the scope of this article so we will focus on those that we utilize heavily in day-to-day life.
1.Stanley Measuring Tape – Built for precision measurement
Stanely is a reliable manufacturer of hand tools that was established in 1843. They have a track record of almost 175 years in developing innovative, durable measuring tools.
This measuring tape by the Stanley tools is one of the most rated and widely used measuring tapes, which is serving the professionals for more than a decade. This iconic measuring tape has a rugged design that allows a comfortable grip.
The Stanely power lock is around more than 15 years and has proven to be a durable measuring tape that has a long lifespan. You can expect this measuring tape to last for many years without any problem.
- The tape is 5 meters long
- The double steel blade comes coated with polymer for ensuring durability.
- The tape is enclosed in the high-impact ABS case with rubber over a mold which provides the necessary strength to the case.
- The measuring blade is extensively tested for heat and comes with a mylar coating that gives it a perfect shine.
- The overall product weighs about 168 gms and has a lockable blade to avoid slippage of the tape during measurement.
- It has a patented Tru-zero hook which works as a zero point for precision measurement.
- Affordable tape.
- The clip allows you to attach it to the belt.
- Provide precise measurements in various units like centimeters, meters, inches, and feet.
- Checked and certified by the Indian Legal Metrological Department.
- Easy to plug in with its metal clip on the back.
- Can’t extend tape out for long-distance of more than 5 mtr
2. Darkpyro Plastic Spoon Set – Multiple size measurement in one place
This 9-piece set of measuring cup set consist of several small to large spoon and cups that help to measure the exact amount of given ingredient. They are made from the FDA approved food-grade plastic material.
- The cup and spoons are held together using a plastic ring so you can hang them in one place and avoid misplacing an individual cup.
- If required, a single cup or spoon can be removed from the ring and can be placed back in the ring after use.
- You can measure one cup, ½ cup, 1/3 cup, ¼ cup and one tablespoon, ½ teaspoon, 1/3 teaspoon, ¼ teaspoon using this set of measuring cup.
- They are specially designed to use in the kitchen and can measure wet and dry ingredients with equal precision.
- They are lightweight, durable, non-toxic, and safe to use.
- It is a cheap kitchen utensil that serves the purpose.
- Made from FDA approved decent quality plastic.
- Each spoon or cup can do the two measurements.
- Needs to be handled carefully as it is made from plastic and may break easily.
3. VERTIS MEASURING TUMBLER – Quality on a Budget
Vertis extensively deals in the various quality kitchen utensil. This Vertis measuring tumbler is one of the leading measuring cups on Amazon and made from borosilicate glass.
This means it can handle the thermal shock to a good extent and has good chemical resistance.
- Vertis measuring tumbler is approximately 9.5 cm in height and can measure the 125ml of liquid volume.
- It is made from the glass and has five markings on its external surface that denotes the 25, 50, 75, 100 and 125ml marks.
- Pouring of liquids made simple using the lip-shaped groove on the upper edge.
- It is dishwasher, oven, and microwave safe glass product which can withstand the temperature up to 500-degree centigrade.
- Has five graduation marks that help to measure liquid
- Microwave, convection oven, and dishwasher safe
- Can be used to measure various chemicals
- Very easy to clean
- Measurements in gm and ml.
- Made from glass so needs to be handled carefully
4. Rossmax TG380 Flexi Tip Thermometer – Must have for every household
Rossmax is a Taiwan based company building various healthcare devices since 1988. They are operating in more than 88 countries and selling 80+ quality healthcare products.
Rossmax TG380 flexible tip thermometer is a digital thermometer that helps to accurately calculate body temperature and safe to use in any part of the human body.
The best thing about this digital thermometer is that they don’t use mercury, so they are safe to use on infants and the pregnant woman.
- It can be used in clinical settings as well as at home for self-diagnosis
- It does not use mercury, instead runs on a battery that can be replaced.
- The flexible tip is made up of high-quality plastic that helps to stabilize the tip against the skin.
- The device has technology that self-diagnoses the problem when something goes wrong.
- Has a digital display that shows the recorded temperature either in Celsius or Fahrenheit. Use can switch between the Celsius or Fahrenheit as per their requirement.
- Fever alarm sets in when it finishes measuring the temperature, so the user knows the maximum reading of temperature is being displayed.
- Easy to use.
- Safe to use on infants and pregnant women.
- Comes with two years warranty.
- Requires battery to run.
5. Dr. Morepen BG-03 Glucometer – Editors choice in glucometer
Dr. Morepen introduced several self-health care devices in India which caught the attention of physicians in a short period.
BG-03 one glucometer is a digital glucose meter that provides the readings on a digital display and requires a tiny drop of blood to analyze the sugar level.
It comes with the multicolor strips which makes it easy when more than one user uses the machine to test sugar. Each user can assign a specific color themselves and keep track of strips.
- Require 0.5uL of blood to analyze the glucose level.
- Comes with a lancet pen, three lancets, and 50 multicolored stripes.
- Analyze blood quickly and provides a result within a few seconds. The company claims 5 second processing time.
- Has a large memory to store the historical data of tests performed.
- Compact design with a sturdy body that provides good grip.
- Requires a tiny drop of blood.
- Provides possibly maximum accuracy.
- Immediate results help to detect low sugar levels in emergency conditions.
- Test results may vary +/- 15% as compared to the lab reports (which is more accurate).
6. Ajanta Quartz Wall Clock – Durable wall clock
Ajanta Quartz wall clock is by an India based company ‘Ajanta Quartz’. Since 1971 they are known for creating the beautiful art pieces of clocks that stand out and help to enhance the home decor.
This wall clock stole the heart of users with its simple yet unique design which provides good visibility even in the low light. It is a perfect wall clock with an elegant design and made from a good quality plastic material.
- Elegant, classy design that built-in good quality acrylic.
- The front part of the clock is made from the glass for maximum visibility.
- Clock arm movements are extremely silent.
- Well-embossed characters and graduation using dark color over the light colored background.
- Easy to read numbers over the light-colored background.
- Provide accurate timing once set properly.
- Clock arms perform runs smoothly and silently.
- Lightweight clock.
- A delicate clock that needs to handle carefully
7. Health Sense PS 126 Personal Scale – Displays accurate weight
Health Sense is popular for various health and wellness related products. From pedometer to the body massager, they sell a wide range of health devices.
PS 126 ultra-lite weighing scale is one of the top-selling machines when it comes to weight machine for body weight. It is the best for the reason that it displays the weight accurately as well as can be used even in the bathroom.
It provides precise results using the G-sensors which are perfectly devised and have a manufacturing tolerance of +/-300gm.
- It has a minimalistic design with a somewhat wavy pattern on the upper surface.
- It comes with a 5to180kg weight range which supposed to be a good range for the average population of India.
- It can provide weight in three different units, i.e., Kg, lb and st.
- The screen can display an error message and indicate the low battery.
- Elegant design, lightweight, and well built.
- Large enough to stand for a person
- Provides accurate results
- Runs on the battery which may drain after using it for a short period of time.
8. KARTER SUPER Tyre Pressure Gauge – High-quality gauge
‘Karter Super Products’ exclusively deals in pressure gauge, and this one is a perfect fit for those who are looking for the best tyre pressure gauge.
It is a very handy and portable gauge that has a 2-inch dial with a unique inflator and deflator function. It can be used for cars, bike, and SUV.
- The pressure gauge pipe opening has a 45-degree angle to make it easy to attach with the tire valve. Also, it can swivel at 360 degrees.
- Comes with an extended chuck tip which seals the valve perfectly and avoids air leakage.
- 2-inch dial with white background helps to read the pressure easily.
- It is a portable device that can be kept in any vehicle for an emergency pressure check.
- The pressure meter is covered with gear style rubber cover which helps to provide a good grip over the gauge.
- The pipe has a bleeder button that holds the pressure until you press it and it can also be used to deflate the tire.
- Sturdy design that provides good grip over the gauge.
- Good quality with accurate pressure reading.
- Can read the tyre pressure and helps to deflate it as well.
- Portable tool
- The pipe of the pressure gauge is small. (May require some practice to use it properly)
9. SSU Silver Vernier Caliper – Anti-rust Caliper
Though vernier caliper is not required for home use, many DIYers prefer to have it in their toolbox. If you are an enthusiastic DIYer and want to have it, then you can go for the SSU Silver vernier caliper.
It is a budget caliper with a rugged body and provides a range of 15 X 15 X 15 Cm. It is a chrome-plated product to avoid rust.
It is not a top-notch product that suitable for professionals, but it is a good caliper for the students and DIYers.
- Rugged design, made from stainless steel, and has chrome plating to avoid the rusting.
- It is 6-inch vernier caliper.
- Good for students and DIYer
- Budget caliper
- Heavy, chrome-plated & rugged. Overall good quality.
- Does not provide accurate readings.
- Not a certified caliper
10. IBELL DM60-01 Classic Laser Distance Meter
IBELL is known for launching all the latest products at a very pocket-friendly price. Devices like laser distance meters are relevantly new and are very useful. IBELL DM60-01 is used to calculate length measurements without any hassle.
This compact device can be easily carried around. It comes with a backlit LCD for better display, and a hand strap to carry it comfortably.
- Its measuring range is up to 196 feet for regular measurements. It makes an automatic calculation of area and volume.
- The device can hold up to 30 groups of data memory.
- It offers measurement modes like distance, volume, area, and measurement by Pythagoras.
- Offers six units for selection, calibration, addition and subtraction, automatic shutdown
- It allows you to manually delete data.
- The device comes with a carrying pouch to keep it safe from dust.
- It is ideal for home, construction, industrial use, and even for large areas.
- Its compact size makes it convenient to carry. The packaging consists of the battery, user manual, hand straps.
- No negative points were observed so far.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the normal range for glucometer?
Usually, the blood glucose level is measured in two different units, one is mmol/L, and second is mg/dl. Out of these two, mg/dl is commonly used by various glucometers.
The normal range of blood glucose level for a non-diabetic individual is between the 70 to 110mg/dl, i.e., 4 to 5.4mmol/L when fasting and up to 140mg/dl (7.7mmol/L) two hours after the food.
2. Which type of a thermometer is the most accurate?
Nowadays, we can get several types of thermometers in the market. They are forehead thermometers, axillary thermometers, rectal thermometers, oral thermometers, and pacifier thermometers.
Among these all, rectal thermometers are considered as the most accurate thermometer as they can measure the central body temperature rather than the peripheral.
Also, several clinical studies supported that the central measuring temperature with a rectal thermometer is the best way to find accurate body temperature.
Apart from the rectal thermometer, the forehead thermometer is also considered an accurate device as it uses infrared technology to measure the temperature and they are extremely easy to use in pediatric patients. The forehead thermometer is most commonly used.
3. What are the types of pressure?
The pressure is defined as the physical force exerted against or on an object by another object which is in contact with it is called pressure. There are three common types of pressure as defined as follow:
- Absolute pressure,
- Relative pressure,
- Differential pressure.
To calculate the absolute pressure, a perfect vacuum is considered as the reference point while to estimate the relative pressure atmospheric pressure is considered as the reference point while to get the differential pressure no any reference point is used.
4. How many OZ makes a cup?
It becomes easy to measure everything accurately in the kitchen with the help of a measuring cup. But the following calculations are being used for ages and are more user-friendly.
Here is how many OZ a cup measure –
|1/4 cup||4 tablespoons||2 fluid ounces|
|1/3 cup||5 tbsp. + 1 Tsp.||2 1/3 fluid ounces|
|3/8 cup||1/4 cup + 2 tbsp.||3 fluid ounces|
|1/2 cup||8 tablespoons||4 fluid ounces|
|5/8 cup||1/2 cup + 2 tbsp.||5 fluid ounces|
|2/3 cup||10 tbsp. + 2 tsp.||5 1/3 fluid ounces|
|3/4 cup||12 tablespoons||6 fluid ounces|
|7/8 cup||3/4 cup + 2 tbsp.||7 fluid ounces|
|1 cup||16 tablespoons||8 fluid oz. (1/2 pint)|
All the above-listed measuring tools come in handy when you need to measure something. They have become a part of our life. Every now and then you need a clock or a measuring cup. Overall, measuring tools have become an integral part of every toolbox. Not only professional but DIYer and every house should have them.
We have listed the most common and useful tools and provided unbiased reviews of each tool so you can have an idea about what pros and cons they have. Also, we outlined the common points that you can look for while buying any of these tools.