11 Best Digital Thermometer – Review and Buying Guide
If you are a mother, then, you must have had a sick child at one point or the other, and you must agree that having a digital thermometer is a definite must for every household.
A thermometer is a device that allows you to measure the temperature using a specific type of sensor that works on particular parts of the body. This means that you cannot just put it anywhere for a temperature check. In most cases, it will be the underarms or forehead.
When you have a sick person in the house, a medical thermometer will help you identify the abnormal body temperatures, and it also lets you know if someone has a fever or not. The potential for a medical issue that warrants a professional’s involvement will be determined quite early with a thermometer.
Contrary to popular belief, thermometers are useful to people of all ages, not just small children. However, you will find that those who use them the most are infants, pregnant women, and people dealing with pre-existing medical conditions such as lung disease, a weak immune system, heart complications, or cancer. The problem with such conditions is that a high fever can increase the risk of worsening the condition and it may even lead to death, so, they need constant monitoring.
Furthermore, having a fever could indicate the presence of an infection in the body, which will allow doctors and other professionals to begin diagnosis and treatment.
This article guides you with information like, how do they work?, the most recommended ways of measuring temperature with a thermometer, features, Its types available in market, a comprehensive buying guide and FAQ’s. Our top 11 best digital thermometer recommendations are also listed in the article below.
Top 11 Best Digital Thermometer
Our Top Pick
3-in-1 Infrared technology
The Best in terms of Accuracy
The best in terms of quality and Ergonomics
The most Environmentally Friendly
Best for young children
The Best for Babies, Infants and Toddlers
The most Accurate and Reliable
The most User Friendly
How Do They Work?
In recent days, thermometers have become quite easy to read, compared to the past where people had to rely on a mercury thermometer that required someone with a little bit of experience and know-how about them.
The new types of thermometers will provide readings on an easy to read digital display screen that you can comfortably understand in your home.
Now, depending on the settings, you can either find these readings in Fahrenheit and Celsius. To obtain the correct measurement, ensure to turn on the thermometer, and place it on the recommended body part either the forehead, the rectal, or the underarm or even orally.Once it is in place, do not keep moving about. Keep it on the body part, till it makes an alert sound or till an appropriate temperature is recorded on the screen.
It is, however, important to ensure that the thermometer is always clean before using it. Read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to ensure you are correctly using the thermometer, so it can give you accurate results.
It is also recommended that you check the temperature 2-3 times before deciding on the correct reading so you can be 100% sure.
Most digital thermometers will use electronic heat sensors or infrared light to measure and record the body temperature from the mouth, forehead, rectum or ear.
The most recommended measurement is through the mouth or the rectum as these tend to give the most accurate readings.
Again, depending on the device you have, digital thermometers normally give these results in just a few minutes. But if you have just had a meal and you want to be sure of the reading, ensure to wait 15 minutes because this can impact the reading on the thermometer.
If you are going to take the measurement of your child via the rectum, it is highly recommended that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions to the letter in order to avoid causing too much discomfort and to also make the thermometer accurate in its reading.
The Most Recommended Ways of Measuring Temperature With a Thermometer
Behind the ear method:
As the name suggests, this is a measurement of the temperature by placing the thermometer behind the ear. Please note that if the thermometer says behind the ear, it should strictly be done behind the ear and not inside the ear.
Thermometers that use this method are supposed to be placed against the skin on the ear for optimal comfort and minimal irritation.
The only downside to this method is that it is not always consistent, because taking measurements outside the body can be affected by various factors such as the environment, sweat, clothing and heat changes.
You must also wait for the ear to be in the normal temperature and comfortable before taking the temperature which may take a few minutes to achieve.
Temporal artery or forehead method:
The thermometers that use this method usually make use of infrared lights to relay the readings from the thermometer. In fact, this is one of the best ways to take the temperature readings as the thermometer rarely ever gets into contact with the body.
This method is designed for optimal comfort and its perfect for children that are uncomfortable or unable to use the oral or rectal method.
Since this is an external temperature measurement, it may be affected by external factors such as sweat, heat, temperature, and even clothing. These may alter the temperature readings, so, be sure to keep the forehead clear, and if it had been covered, give it time to breathe before using the thermometer.
This is one of the most popular methods in the market today. It is commonly used by healthcare professionals and even parents and it is actually considered one of the best and most accurate methods of checking the temperature.
The thermometers that use this method will take the temperature using metal or heat sensing by placing and holding the thermometer below the tongue. The metal then measures the body temperature from moment to moment and looks for the best and most stable signal.However, in order for it to correctly and accurately measure the temperature, the user must be able to hold it under their tongue and keep the mouth closed for an accurate reading to be obtained, which is not always possible and easy with small children.
If you have been eating and drinking, wait 15 minutes before taking the temperature using this method.
As mentioned earlier, this is not an ideal method for infants, toddlers, and newborns as they cannot hold still, plus, it may actually become a danger to their health if there is too much movement and crying as you are trying to take their temperature. Use it on adults and teenagers.
This is the best, safest and most accurate method of measuring temperatures, especially for very young children. As the name suggests, this is inserted anally in order to take the body temperature.
The thermometers that use this method normally have a blunt, short and rounded tip that can be inserted in the rectum carefully without causing any discomfort or injury to the soft tissue in the rectum and also minimal pain.
Because of its accuracy and safety, this is considered the best method to use on newborns, young children, and toddlers.
Almost everyone has used this method at one point or another. Checking your temperature by placing the thermometer under your arm is one of the most commonly used methods in the world.
What you do is, place the thermometer under your arm, then close it till it gives an accurate measurement of your temperature.
Though popular, it is not the most accurate and recommended method to use and has actually become less common. This is because it is believed to be less accurate compared to the other methods listed above. The reason for this is that the underarm is affected by many things such as body movement, sweating, varying temperature zones, and hair.
Featuers of Thermometers
Nowadays, digital thermometers have most definitely replaced the old mercury thermometers. This is because a digital thermometer allows you to take measurements electronically and provides feedback through a digital display. This is definitely much better than trying to read the mercury level of the mercury thermometer.
Now to make the medical digital thermometer perfect for you, look for one that offers the following features;
Backlight display screen – In order for you to read the numbers accurately, look for a thermometer that has a large display screen and one that has a backlight so you can be able to read the temperature even at night.
Alert signal – This is perfect because it is a buzzer or a beeping sound that goes off when the allotted time has lapsed. It lets the user know that they can now read the thermometer as the temperature of the patient has been recorded. This is perfect especially for the underarm method since you do not have to sit there the whole time waiting for the reading or guessing when the temperature has been arrived at. You simply insert it on the user and leave it till you hear a beep.
Some thermometers come with built-in memories that can allow you to check the last several temperatures taken. This is perfect for when you need to track the progress of your patient and it gives a history of how they are doing.
Color changes for temperature warnings:
Some digital thermometers actually change color on the display whenever the temperature is over a certain number or when it is very high. In most cases, the backlight part of the thermometer will turn red, and let you know that things are not good, so, you may take the necessary steps.
The faster the thermometer is at taking readings, the better. This is because you will be able to quickly identify the temperature of the sick person and take appropriate measures in ensuring their well-being. Fever is a leading cause of death, and if you are able to identify that someone has a high fever quickly, the faster it will be for you to take them to the hospital.
Some thermometers, however, take too long to record the temperature and this is not ideal. Choose one that is very fast. It could save a life.
Long battery life:
They do operate on battery. Some use button cell batteries, while others use standard AAA or AA batteries. Whichever one you use, battery life is important, and some thermometers actually do last a very long time.
It is however still a good idea to keep a separate pair of batteries just in case the thermometer runs out. This will save you time when you need to buy new batteries and there is an emergency situation. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
Though a thermometer that comes with many additional features can be tempting to choose, having one that has a high level of accuracy is actually much better and more reliable. This should be the most important point to consider when buying a thermometer.
While there are many thermometers in the market, those that take the temperature orally and through the rectum tend to be the most accurate and most trusted because their technology to measure the temperature consistently after multiple readings.
In order to get the most accurate readings on a thermometer always wait a little longer to take the reading, because the thermometer will have identified the most accurate temperature on the user.
Consider the safety of the user before buying a thermometer. This is because different thermometers use different methods to check the temperature and you may end up with a difficult situation in your hands if you have a very difficult patient.
For infants and newborn babies, an ear or rectum or forehead thermometer would be ideal, while for adults and people who can actually be able to sit still, a tongue or underarm thermometer will be just fine.
Fahrenheit or Celsius:
Thermometers measure the temperature using these 2 units. You must consider the one that you like most and the one that is easiest for you to understand before buying a thermometer because you do not need a situation where you keep doing the math conversions when you urgently need to know how hot your child is.
Types of Thermometers
There are very many types of medical thermometers that can be used to measure body temperature.
Depending on the one you choose, thermometers measure temperature from different parts of the body, and each method of measurement is specific to that thermometer, so be sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions before using it in your own way.
Digital forehead: As the name suggests, this is a thermometer that uses the forehead method to measure the temperature.
Digital ear thermometer: This one takes temperature measurements by placing the thermometer behind the ear, or inside the ear.
Digital sticks: These measure the temperature by placing them under the arm.
Pacifier thermometers: These are perfect for infants and are considered a comfortable alternative to most other types of thermometers. They normally resemble a baby’s pacifier, and in most cases they give accurate results but they are not recommended as their accuracy is varies depending on whether the baby just ate, or if it is moved around a lot, and also the baby may never be able to sit still in order for it to give a reading.
Buying Guide For Thermometers
With so many options in the market, you may be spoilt for choice and wonder which is the best for your child or sick patient.
Now, before we even look at the factors to consider when buying the best digital thermometer, there are a couple of considerations you will need to make;
- How old are your children? The age of your child will come in very handy when deciding on which thermometer to buy. This is because, as mentioned earlier, with the different measuring method, you can only use specific thermometers on children of a certain age. For example, you do not expect to use a rectal kind of thermometer on a teenager, but this would be perfect for a toddler or newborn child. Likewise, a tongue thermometer would not be ideal for a baby or toddler.
- Which is the best time to take the readings? For night readings, the ear and forehead thermometers are perfect. This is because you will not require to have the child awake and involved while doing it. They are also the most convenient if you have very small children that require constant temperature checks.
- Who will be using the thermometer? There are some thermometers that can only be used by specific people in the household such as young children only, while others can only be used by adults. Keep this in mind when buying a thermometer, because you may need to buy one that is ideal for everyone in the house so you can save on cost.
Factors to consider:
Now, when it comes to choosing the best thermometer, it is important to understand which is the best one and most suited for your needs. As seen above, different thermometers use different methods to take the temperature, and this can greatly influence the choice.
Your biggest concern should be accuracy because what you need is an accurate reading of the temperature at a specified time.
You should also be concerned about the comfort of the user while you take the temperature, so look out for thermometers that endeavor to make the whole process as comfortable as possible, especially for very young children.
1. Omron MC 246 Digital Thermometer – Our Top Pick
The Omron MC 246 Digital Thermometer is a great product to have in your home because it offers very accurate results and a very fast reading as well. it is one of the most trusted digital thermometers in India.
- You can use it on your underarm, tongue or rectum to check on the fever level.This is perfect because it gives you options and allows you to use it on different people in the household from infants to grown ups that need their temperatures checked.
- Beeper: This thermometer comes with a beeper that will alert you when the right temperature reading has been arrived it. It will also give a beep if the fever is too high and the patient requires medical attention.
- Accuracy: It is infact on of the most accurate thermometers in the market today, with an accuracy degree of ±0.1-degree Celsius (This is equivalent to 32.0 to 42.0 degree Celsius).
- Memory: It has the ability to keep data from previous temperature checks, which is perfect because you can easily keep a good record of how the user’s fever has been behaving over a couple of days or weeks, and this you can use to give your doctor a medical history.
- Auto shut button: Once you are done with the thermometer it goes off on its own which conserves the battery and keeps it working a long time.
- It is very easy to use.
- It is water resistant for simple cleaning.
- It gives you the option to use different methods of doing a temperature check.
- It has a beeper that alerts you when the temperature has been reached.
- It is very reasonably priced and gives you value for your money.
- Some times it can be difficult to change the scale.
2. Dr. Trust Infrared Forehead Temporal Artery Thermometer with Color Coded Fever Guidance– 3-in-1 Infrared technology
This is one of the best and most trusted thermometers in the market today. It is a non-contact thermometer with a wide variety of features that everyone with a small child will appreciate and use confidently.
- A non-touch – 3-in-1 Infrared technology: This is one of the best things ever. The thermometer is designed to take temperatures of different body surfaces from a distance. This means that even if your child is asleep or restless, you can still be able to take the temperature.
- Fast results – It is very fast and will give the results in under 3 seconds.
- Perfect for the whole family – This is one of those thermometers that can be used by both the old and the young. You can even use it comfortably with your newborn without any challenges.
- Switch Between °F &°C – You can be able to use the degree measurement that you are comfortable with and one that you can be able to understand easily and freely. No mess no fuss with this thermometer.
- Memory storage- It is able to store data in its memory that you can easily refer to whenever you need to check on the progress of a patient. This is perfect as you can even take it to the doctor for further analysis and examination.
- LCD display and color-coded results – This thermometer will show the results on an LCD display screen that also comes with color coded results for faster understanding. Green light indicates that everything is normal, while red shows that the temperatures are very high.
- Person and object mode switches – This is a great feature because it allows you to switch easily from object mode to person mode. What this means is that if you want to measure the temperature of let’s say the baby’s bath water, or formula, you simply switch on object mode, and if you want to measure the temperature of the baby, you simply switch on person mode.
- Dr. Trust is a well-known and trusted company for many years.
- It is very accurate and you can rely on its results explicitly.
- It can be used both by objects as well as people.
- Has color-coded and LCD display.
- Very simple to use.
- The manual is a little unclear and illegible.
3. Hicks MT-401R Digital Thermometer with Buzzer (White) – Water Resistant
If you are looking for a thermometer that will give the most accurate results, comes in a great pack for easier storage and one that is also reasonably priced, then, look no further than the Hicks MT-401R Digital Thermometer. It shall not disappoint.
- It is very fast and will virtually read the temperature in under 10 seconds – This is a great benefit because when you are in a hurry and are desperate to find out whether your child has a fever or not, you want to have a very fast thermometer.
- It has a fever line technology that is able to indicate both normal and high fever. This inclines towards the red when the fever is high, and towards green when the temperature is normal.
- The accuracy of this thermometer is very high and reliable.
- It comes with a buzzer which will clearly alert you when it has finished taking the temperature and you can be able to read it, plus whenever the temperature is very high, the buzzer will go off to signal danger.
- It is water resistant and will not get damaged if you put it under water. This is great because you can clean it freely without wondering whether it will get damaged or not.
- It comes with a battery replacement option. This allows you to be able to replace the batteries in case they run out and you do not have time to run and buy any other batteries urgently.
- It uses both Celsius and Fahrenheit, which allows you to choose the one that you are most comfortable with, and the one that you can be able to interpret.
- Memory – it is able to keep a record of temperature readings for easier monitoring and control.
- It is easy to use.
- It had the buzzer which indicates that the temperature reading has been done.
- It has an extra battery option for quick replacements.
- It is very accurate.
- No fear of mercury poisoning.
- It is very fast and can be able to give a reading in under 10 seconds.
- Measuring through the rectum can be a bit uncomfortable for most people.
4. Aryshaa Pluss Digital Medical Thermometer with Fever Indication (White) -Set of 2 Pieces – The Best in terms of Accuracy
This is one of those products that you are assured is going to work very well. Aryshaa is a well-known company that always delivers excellent results that you can rely on 100%.
- Can be used orally, under the firearm or even through the rectum. This thermometer gives you the freedom to choose the method that your patient is most comfortable with. You can also be able to use it on almost anyone who needs their temperature checked.
- When you are taking the temperature, this thermometer will keep beeping at intervals of 3-digit, + degree Celsius/ Fahrenheit increment beeps. As a result of this, you are able to keep track of how the temperature is raising as you check your patient.
- Accuracy – This thermometer has an accurate level of ±0.2-degree Fahrenheit (This is equivalent to 89.6 to 107.6-degree Fahrenheit accuracy) and also a ±0.1 degree Celsius (This is equivalent to 32.0 to 42.0 degree Celsius of accuracy). This is infact one of the highest in this category, which makes this a great thermometer.
- Memory: It has the option to store the data collected which can help you in a progressive review.
- Auto shut -off function – The thermometer automatically shuts itself off after use in order to preserve the battery.
- Uses a wide variety of methods to check the temperature.
- It is one of the most accurate thermometers that has been trusted worldwide.
- It has a memory feature for storing information.
- It does not have a back light.
- It doesn’t come with a beep.
5. Dr.odin Multi-Function Non-Contact Forehead Infrared Thermometer – The best in terms of quality and Ergonomics
When it comes to design and look of a thermometer, it doesn’t get better than the Dr.odin Multi-Function Infrared Thermometer. It is designed well, it is ergonomic and can be used by anyone in the family. This is what we call value for your money.
- A non-contact detection: The thermometer is designed to take temperatures of different body surfaces from a distance. This means that even if your child is asleep or restless, you can still be able to take the temperature.
- Body and object switch – You can be able to make a switch easily when trying to take the temperature of a person or a body. This means that the thermometer easily checks people and anything else you would like to check such as the bath water for a child.
- Switch between °C and °F – This thermometer allows you to easily switch and read the temperature using both measurement angles ior excellent and most accurate results.
- Three color display – it comes with an LCD screen that displays the results in 3 different colors.
- Memory – The memory easily stores data that has already been read and ensures that you can be able to use this for progressive reviews.
- It is non-touch detection which is perfect for the whole family.
- It is very accurate.
- Has an LCD- screen and a 3-color display of the results.
- It has a memory that is used to store data for progressive reviews.
- It does not have a backlight.
6. INAY Medical Infrared Forehead Thermometer – The most Environmentally Friendly
When it comes to thermometers, this is one of the best in the market. It is made by an environmentally conscious company that always keeps its customers first.
- Non-contact detection – It is designed not to get into contact with the human body, and allows you to take temperatures of any body part at a distance.
- Ergonomic design – It is designed for comfort. You need not worry about how you will hold it as it is clearly shown on the product.
- PP material – This is a material found on the product that ensures environmental protection and accuracy measurement.
- Accuracy level – It has a very high accuracy level of +/-)0.2 which is excellent and it means that you can comfortably rely on the results given by this thermometer.
- It has a high degree of accuracy.
- Perfect for the whole family.
- Has a non-body detection mode.
- Has an ergonomic and comfortable design.
- Comes with a PP material that makes it environmentally safe.
- You must carefully study the manual in order to use it effectively.
7. Rossmax TG100 Thermometer (White) – Best for young children
This is a great thermometer to use in the house, and in , the fact it is very common. This is because you can use it on your underarm to check the temperature which is very easy to do, and it will always give very accurate results;
- Fever alarm – It will beep whenever the temperature goes very high, to give an indication that the patient is sick and requires immediate medical attention.
- Celsius to Fahrenheit switch – This thermometer allows you to switch easily between the 2 degrees and gives you the freedom to choose the one you would like to use.
- Low battery indicator – It will clearly show you that the battery is about to die so you can be able to charge it. Most thermometers do not have this option and it can easily run out of battery before you have been able to check whether your child has a fever or not.
- Auto shut-off – When you are done taking the temperature, this thermometer automatically shuts itself off to preserve the battery.
- It is very fast and will take temperature readings within 60 seconds.
- It is perfect for children as well as adults.
- It is easy to use.
- It is easy to keep clean.
- It always alerts you with a beep.
- Reasonably priced.
- It does not have a back light.
8. Baby Thermometer, Nurb Infrared Digital Ear Thermometer – The Best for Babies, Infants and Toddlers
If you happen to have a newborn baby, a toddler or an infant, then this is the thermometer that you shall be needing in your home. It is designed specifically to ensure that small children are comfortable as you take their temperatures.
- High-quality product – This thermometer is safe to use, healthy and effective. It is made using the most advanced infrared sensor technology that ensures excellent detection of in-ear temperatures and it comes with some ear-muffs to prevent cross-infection and the spread of bacteria.
- Accuracy – This is a very accurate thermometer + / – 0.2 degrees Celsius or a + / – 0.4. Fahrenheit. This means that it is very accurate and you can safely rely on its results.
- Memory function – It has the ability to store data for future use and review.
- Easy to use- It is designed easily and all you need to do is press a button and it is always ready to give the temperature levels. It actually has 2 function keys for your use.
- Made of high quality and long-lasting materials.
- It is non-touch detection which means that you can use it for the whole family.
- It is very accurate.
- It only takes 2 seconds to detect the temperature.
- It has a memory function for saving data.
- It does not have a backlight.
9. Braun Ear Thermometer – Pre-warm tip
Braun is a well-known and trusted company whose electrical products rarely disappoint. This Braun no touch thermometer is no different and it will provide you with the most accurate results in just a few seconds. No mess no fuss.
- Large LCD screen – It has a large screen that you can easily be able to see when the temperature readings are displayed.
- It is easy to use – You simply need to press a button and the thermometer is ready to read the results. Anybody can use it effectively.
- No-touch body detection- This thermometer is able to detect the temperature from any part of your body and at a distance. You do not need to keep inserting it anywhere because it works very effectively just by directing it to your body.
- Pre-warm tip- The tip of the thermometer is allowed to warm for a few seconds so it can be at the same temperature with the body when taking the measurement. As a result, it will give the most accurate temperature measurements.
- Exact temp setting- It uses a light beep to confirm the end of temperature recording which is perfect as it allows you to know when the machine is done.
- It is easy to use.
- Users have appreciated its quality.
- It has a large LCD screen that you can clearly see.
- It comes with a pre-warm tip to make it more accurate.
- It has color coding for simple understanding.
- It is very expensive.
10. Baby Thermometer – Forehead and Ear Thermometer – The most Accurate and Reliable
This baby thermometer is very accurate and reliable, according to the reviews. This is exactly what you need for your baby, because you can rely on the results. For most other thermometers, it is not easy to actually believe whether they are accurate or not, which can be quite challenging.
- No-touch detection – It delivers readings which are calibrated through sensors that allows you to direct it simply to any part of the body. As a result, it gives excellent and accurate results each and every time you use it.
- Well-designed – This is a well-designed machine of that is FDA certified because of it meats all of the FDA requirements for a medical thermometer.
- Easy to use – It is very easy to use and only requires you to press a button.
- Multi-function mode – You can be able to use it on the ear, forehead, and also object and people to be able to find the most accurate temperature readings. This also gives you control especially when the baby is being fussy and doesn’t want their temperature to be checked.
- Switch between °C and °F – This thermometer allows you to easily switch and read the temperature using both measurement angles for excellent and most accurate results.
- LED Screen – It comes with an LCD screen that displays the results in 3 different colors.
- Memory – The memory easily stores data that has already been read and ensures that you can be able to use this for progressive reviews.
- It is non-touch detection which is perfect for the whole family to avoid any kind of infection.
- It is highly accurate.
- Has an LCD- screen that is clear enough to see.
- It is very simple to use and convenient.
- It has a memory that is used to store data for progressive reviews.
- It is a very expensive device.
11. Avantek Forehead Thermometer – The most User Friendly
Looking at this Avantek Forehead Thermometer, it just screams elegance and beauty. It has a very simple user interface which makes it highly user friendly. As a result of this point, anyone can use it to check the temperature as it does not involve too much work and understanding of its workings.
This is why it is in our list as one of the best in the market.
- Very accurate – It has been trusted the world over because it always delivers the most accurate results whenever you use it.
- LCD screen – It comes with a large LCD screen to display the results.
- Easy to use- It simply requires you to press a button and it works perfectly.
- Infrared detection – This means that it is a non-touch thermometer that can be able to detect the temperatures simply by directing it to any part of your body.
- Automatic shut off- Whenever you are done using the appliance, it automatically shuts itself off in order to conserve the battery.
- Easy to use.
- Extremely user friendly.
- Beeps before displaying the body temperature.
- Non-touch detection makes it perfect for use for the whole family.
- Automatic shut-off button.
- A few users have doubted its accuracy.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. After taking the temperature with the thermometer, why does the temperature keep rising?
This is common to most thermometers in the market. The reason is that, after the thermometer has completed checking the temperature, it is still sensitive to temperature increases. Before using the thermometer, follow the following steps so you do not have inaccurate figures.
Keep the thermometer and the patient in the same room for at least 20 minutes prior to taking their temperature. Also, avoid using the thermometer in a cold environment.
Do not measure on parts of the body that have cooled or have been heated by drinks or food.
If you can, use oral or rectal thermometers since they give the most accurate results.
If you have an underarm thermometer, keep it still under the arm and very close to the body until the thermometer beeps that it has measured the temperature.
2. How accurate are thermometers?
Thermometers are generally very accurate. In most cases, the degree of accuracy is normally between ±0.2ºF or ±0.1ºC. This means that you can generally be able to rely on them all the time.
You should however note that taking the temperature of your child or sick patient doesn’t necessary allow you to continue and give a treatment cause, because thermometers are meant to merely give an indication that something is wrong.
If you have a patient with a high temperature reading, ensure to seek medical attention for further evaluation and diagnosis, because it is always a sign that something is wrong. The doctor will them be able to come up with a prognosis on how to treat the infection or underlying medical condition.
3. Must I put the thermometer under my arm to check the temperature?
Now, as much as this is the most common method of checking body temperature using the thermometer, you should know that it is infact one of the most less accurate method as well.
When you measure the temperature using the underarm, it is normally affected by many things such as body movement, sweating, varying temperature zones and hair. As a result, this is not always the most accurate reading, and you may actually need to take the temperature a few more times and get the average reading in order to know how high or low the patient’s temperature is.
4. How long does it take to get the reading from a thermometer?
Each thermometer has its own speed level. Some are fast, while others are slow. If you want to do a quick check, ensure to buy a very fast thermometer that will ensure you get the most accurate reading in the shortest time possible.
However, a thermometer should never take more than 5 minutes to give you a reading. If it does that, it may be faulty and you must never rely on the readings given by such a device.
A quick point to note here however is that if your patient has had a drink or had some food just before taking their temperature, it is always advisable to wait a few minutes before using the thermometer as this may affect an accurate reading.
5. Does the thermometer require refrigeration?
In the past, and when people used to have the mercury thermometers, there was this rule that they must always be kept in the refrigerator. That is however not the case anymore and you do not have to keep your thermometer in the refrigerator as it is designed to be stored at room temperature.
6. Must I always use a cotton pad when using the thermometer? How often should I clean it?
Using a cotton pad before checking the temperature with a thermometer is very common, especially in hospitals where the same thermometer is used by many people in the house.
Thermometers such as those used in the ear, in the rectum or the mouth must always be used together with the cotton pad in order to clean the area, and even disinfect it. You must always clean the thermometer before using it on every new person.
Keeping it clean will ensure that it is always hygienic and it will not transfer germs from one person to another.
It is however important to always follow the manufacturer’s advice when using the thermometer and when it comes to hygienic practices, because there may be some specific instructions concerning its clean up that you may be unaware of.
7. How do I store my thermometer?
If you bought the thermometer with a protective cover, it is recommended that you store it in that cover at all times. Also, ensure not to expose it to extreme temperatures as this may affect its performance. Simply store it under room temperature for accurate results.
Any parent will tell you that having a thermometer is an absolute must in every household as it will make the difference between saving a life or not. Our pick – Omron MC 246 Digital Thermometer, Dr. Trust Infrared Forehead Temporal Artery Thermometer and Rossmax TG100 Thermometer.
Ensure to always buy the most accurate and reliable thermometers so you can get the right results every time you use it. Do not compromise on quality as this may compromise on the results you shall get from the thermometer.