Best Blood Pressure Monitors
The human heart is a muscular pump. When it contracts, it pushes the blood through the arteries. The push force that is exerted on the artery walls by the blood flow is called blood pressure.
The high blood pressure results in causing a lot of stress which is why it is important to monitor the blood pressure in order to prevent any damage to the blood vessels and the heart.
High blood pressure – Also termed as hypertension. It usually occurs when the blood pressure increases. It is determined by how much amount of blood is passing through the blood vessels and the resistance faced by the blood while the heart is pumping.
Low blood pressure – Also termed as hypotension. Having low blood pressure is life-threatening which is why it should be avoided. When your blood pressure reads lower than 90 mm of mercury for the top or 60 mm of mercury for the bottom, then it is considered as low blood pressure.
- Systolic Pressure is the first and higher measure, it is the pressure in arteries when heart fills them with blood.
- Diastolic Pressure is second number and lower of two, it is the pressure in arteries when the heart rests between beats.
Ths is the chart for blood pressure reading
Table Of Contents
- 1 What is a Sphygmomanometer?
- 2 Types of Sphygmomanometer
- 3 How does Blood Pressure Monitors work?
- 4 BUYERS GUIDE TO BLOOD PRESSURE MONITORS
- 5 TOP 5 BLOOD PRESSURE MONITORS
- 6 Conclusion
What is a Sphygmomanometer?
A sphygmomanometer is a medical device also known as Blood pressure monitor and used to measure blood pressure. It is found on every doctor’s table. The word Sphygmomanometer is actually a Greek word, where the word “Sphygmos” means pulse and “Manometer” means pressure meter.
Types of Sphygmomanometer
There are three types of blood pressure monitors:
It is a mercury based blood pressure measuring device. This device is one of the common methods of checking blood pressure but has been banned in few countries due to its toxicity.
This device has a manually inflatable cuff which is attached to a measuring unit. The transparent tube attached to the measuring unit contains mercury which is calibrated and marked. It is a very delicate device which is why one needs to be careful while using it.
Aneroid means without fluid. These devices do not make use of mercury and are considered as one of the best alternatives to mercury-based devices.
The procedure is quite similar to mercury-based devices which involves inflating and deflating the cuff, and most Aneroid devices come with a stethoscope attached to the cuff.
Aneroid Sphygmomanometer is having a dial gauge which is attached to cuff through tubes. Inside that, the devices make use of the mechanical parts to convert the pressure of the cuff to a gauge based reading.
There are various types of Aneroid Sphygmomanometers:
Pocket Aneroid Sphygmomanometer – It is a common popular device, due to its portable and compact design which is available at a very low cost.
Palm Aneroid Sphygmomanometer – It is a device popular for EMS environments where various cuff sizes are required for measurement. The design is compact which makes it easy to switch to different cuff sizes in emergency situations.
Clock-style Aneroid Sphygmomanometer – This type of device requires a large dial for viewing. They are usually found in doctor’s offices, clinics, etc. The dial gauge can actually be mounted on the wall for better viewing.
Automatic Digital Sphygmomanometer
These devices make use of electronic pressure sensor which measures the blood pressure and the readings are displayed digitally.
The device has inflatable cuffs like the other two types of sphygmomanometers. The cuff is attached to the electronic unit.
The only difference is the technique which is used to measure the blood pressure. The other types measure blood pressure based on the sounds that are produced by the blood which is flowing in the arteries but the digital device measures the oscillations of the arteries using the pressure sensors. The devices operate using batteries and solar cells.
They are available in two types:
Full-automatic blood pressure monitors – This device makes use of an electric pump to inflate the cuff. It is very easy to use and the results are produced automatically.
Semi-automatic blood pressure monitors – This device needs the user to inflate the cuff manually, once it is done, the device will start deflating the cuff automatically and then the reading will be produced just like it is in the automatic device.
How does Blood Pressure Monitors work?
Blood pressure monitor device like the Aneroid depends on the auscultation ( listening to sounds from the heart ) is gaining popularity. These devices produce a digital reading and work on the principle that the blood in our body flows through an artery between the systolic and diastolic pressure, thus causing vibrations in the arterial wall which is detected by the devices and transduced into electrical signals.
A cuff is inflated over the upper arm or the wrist to measure. The modern device uses a technology that decides how much the cuff needs to be inflated so as to reach a pressure of about 20 mm Hg above the normal systolic pressure for all the individuals.
As the cuff is inflated, there is no blood flow through the artery. When the cuff is deflated below the systolic pressure, the pressure reduced is exerted on the wall of the artery which allows the blood to flow through it and it detects the vibration in the arterial wall.
But if the cuff pressure falls below the user’s diastolic pressure, then the blood flows smoothly through the artery and does not have any vibrations against the wall.
Vibrations occur only when the cuff pressure is sufficiently high, which would make the blood to push through the arterial wall in order to flow through the artery. The vibrations are transferred to a transducer in the monitor which converts the readings into the electrical signals.
BUYERS GUIDE TO BLOOD PRESSURE MONITORS
Accuracy is the foremost important factor in any blood pressure monitor. If your device is not accurate, then it is just waste of money and time to buy one and could be dangerous for your health.
Before you make sure that your device is accurate, you have to test it multiple times. You can also show the device to your doctor to test and verify it. He can give you advice on which blood pressure monitors to go for.
Size of Cuff
Most of the blood pressure monitors are accurate unless the device is too small for the patient. The size of the upper arm varies from person to person, therefore, it is important that you make sure the device is a perfect fit for you. Unless and until you do not have a bodybuilder built, most of the devices will fit your size.
Avoid using blood pressure monitors which has a cuff that is either too big or small for your arm. It can give you inaccurate results.
Easy to Use
It is important to find a device which is easy and simple to use because the person has to take the test himself which is why its simplicity is to be made sure of. If it requires a second person to help with the cuff or measurements, then you should avoid buying it. The more simple it is, the more often you will be using it.
If you want to keep a track of your blood pressure readings, then some of the blood pressure monitors can connect to your smartphone and you can download the data directly from your phone. This is a convenient way to use as it can help you show the readings to your doctor.
It is advised to take your blood pressure monitor to your doctor. He can help with comparing the results of the device with his manual blood pressure device to see if the readings are accurate or not.
Basic blood pressure monitors can just store few readings taken recently but with the advanced devices and Bluetooth connected devices, you can store up to 200 or even unlimited readings. This can be helpful to you as you can monitor your fitness and health cycle.
Heart Rate and Irregular Heart Beats
Blood pressure and heart rate is related to each other which is why it is very useful if you go for blood pressure monitors that can monitor your heart rate and detect any irregular heartbeats which take place during the blood pressure test. It is an essential feature that you should consider while choosing a device.
Multiple User Modes
Blood pressure monitors are mostly used by multiple users if you have a sibling, parent or spouse living with you. It is necessary to have a device that has multiple user modes so that you can use it with your family as well, which can store the different readings and patterns. This will increase the device’s value.
Arm or Wrist
Most of the blood pressure monitors take the test either on arm or at the wrist. Both are accurate places for testing. Although for taking the test on your wrists, it is important to follow the exact directions or else it can lead to inaccurate results. It is extremely sensitive to take the test on the wrist. But taking the test on the upper arm is much easier and accurate.
TOP 5 BLOOD PRESSURE MONITORS
This device is extremely accurate in testing blood pressure. It has an LCD display which is easy to read and it shows all the details perfectly. The numbers are pretty large for making it easy to read it.
Vive Digital Monitor device can also detect irregular heartbeats which are an added advantage and feature. The cuff has a wide range of sizes to fit. It can be shared with two people and store upto 250 readings of each individual. This makes it perfect for showing your doctor about your results.
Having a reliable product as the Vive can help you avoid visiting the doctor regularly. This makes it perfect for old people who cant travel much. You can use this device to maintain your health and monitor your blood pressure.
- It can be used by two different people
- It can detect irregular heartbeats
- Stores up to 500 readings
- Provides high accurate results
- It runs on 4 AAA batteries
- The device has a two-year guarantee
- Improved device accuracy tolerance and pump stability. You will have reliable reading every time.
- It is easy to use. One button push-to-start design.
- The design is compact and light
- Two-year warranty
- Great customer service
- Large, bright backlight LCD screen shows all measurements clearly on the same screen. Displayed measurements includes systolic pressure, diastolic pressure, pulse rate, date, time, and user.
- 2 USER CAPABILITY & 500 MEASUREMENT MEMORY: Switch between 2 users to store measurements separately if sharing with a spouse or loved one. Automatically record up to 500 measurements with date and time for easy blood pressure tracking – great for doctor visits.
- It’s not compatible with Bluetooth
This is Omron’s 10 series Blood pressure monitor that measures on the upper arm which is the most accurate way.
The display is pretty easy to read with large fonts and different colors. It is highly accurate and trusted.
This makes it a great device for people who are suffering from hypertension and doctors recommend it for emergency situations. The high accuracy features relieve anxiety and stress.
- The dimensions of the product are (W x H x D) – 38.1 x 67.3 x 28.6 cm
- The weight of the device is 953 grams
- It requires 2 AA batteries to function
- It can detect hypertension as well as irregular heartbeat
- It has a memory capacity to store 14 sets of readings
- Compatible with iOS and Android smartphones
- Easy indicator to know if readings are normal or out of range
- Blood pressure level bar helps in comparing your levels with the normal blood pressure levels.
- The easy-wrap feature allows incorrect cuff positioning for accurate results
- Can take 3 consecutive readings automatically in just one-minute difference to display the average
- Can store 200 readings
- It operates with an AC adapter or 4 AA batteries
- Easy to read display with large font
- Three readings for better accuracy in results
- Simple to operate with easy instructions to follow
- Hypertension Indicator And Irregular Heartbeat Indicator
- Memory For 14 Sets Of Readings
- Operates with AC Adapter (included) or 4 AA batteries (not included)
- Multi-color indicator lights show if your readings is in the normal (green) or hypertension (orange) range
- Does not support automatic syncing of the data to the smartphone
This is a perfect device if you want accurate results and it can detect weak pulse as well. This hospital-grade device is rechargeable and compact in size so that it can fit perfectly in your hand. This is usually used by doctors in their office. This ProBP 3400 is a smart choice to go for.
- You can get accurate results, even if there is a weak pulse or any kind of motion
- It is a USB wired technology that enables the integration to select either EHR or EMR systems
- The device runs on Lithium-ion battery technology
- The device can store up to 100 readings in just a single charge
- The weight of the product is 3.6 pounds
- It is highly accurate and precise
- The battery lasts for a long time
- It can take up to 100 readings in a single charge
- The cuff is sold separately
Clinical Blood Pressure Monitor by Generation Guard is one device which is highly accurate. It is designed to ensure that you get the best clinical care at home in your comfort zone. It is trued and tested by thousands of people.
This is an advanced blood pressure monitor that is designed to make the life of the customers easier with its new technology that can give the best blood pressure results.
The controls are pretty easy and the display is large and easy to read. It is safe for use for people of every age.
It can fit the wrist sizes from 5 to 9 inches. You can measure both the blood pressure and the heart rate with the added irregular heart measure feature. This is a wrist blood pressure monitor.
- You can get instant readings with this device that has got a large display that makes it simple to monitor the blood pressure level. It gives accurate systolic and diastolic blood pressure readings
- This is clinically accurate which makes it one of the fastest device and a reliable device.
- The device can measure blood pressure and also is hypertension plus heartbeat detector. This makes the device very professional and accurate for measurement.
- The device allows you to record your previous readings in case you forgot to do so
- The product comes with a 100% money-back guarantee
- The weight of the product is 8 ounces
- The device is highly accurate
- The cuff inflates pretty fast
- The readings are displayed almost immediately
- Heartbeat Detector and Hypertension Indicator
- Recalls Last Reading – The Memory Recall Feature Will Allow You To Record The Previous Reading In Case You Forget To Do So.
- The instructions can be a bit confusing to follow
The Omron 7 Series is a blood monitoring device which tests pressure from the wrist only. It is portable and provides accurate results. It is clinically proven to be the best which is why you must be assured that it has got high standards that you can rely on.
You need to level the device with your heart to get accurate results. The device has color indications, which makes it easier to read the results. The blue light indicates that you have correctly placed the device and it gets automatically activated.
- The dimensions of the product are (W x H x D) – 4 x 4.5 x 7.8 inches
- It can store up to 100 readings with date and time
- The device displays the average of three readings immediately
- The Heart Zone Guidance helps you to accurately measure the blood pressure
- It can alert immediately when it detects irregular heartbeats
- It runs on 2 AAA batteries
- Automatic inflation
- Fits the wrist sizes between 5 1/4″ to 8 1/2″ in circumference
- Accurate despite being a device that detects from the wrist
- Not noisy
- Compact and sleek in design
- Can detect irregular heartbeats
- It can be a bit difficult to use
If you are advised by your doctor to use a blood pressure monitor, then do not delay in buying one. Measuring blood pressure is a healthy practice that benefits everyone.
In this article, the best 5 blood pressure monitors are listed for you so that you dont have to look anywhere else. It is important to choose a device that you can comfortably use to get the most accurate results. Save your life with blood pressure reading and stay healthy.