Best Selling Blood Glucose Monitors
Testing your blood sugar levels is one of the best ways to determine and understand your diabetes and your consumption of different food items, medications, and activities affecting sugar level. It is advised to keep track of your blood glucose level that can help you along with your doctor to come up with definite plans to manage this condition.
There are many devices available such as Pulse Oximeters and blood glucose monitors so that the concerned person can take care of themselves from home itself.
Nowadays, people are using portable glucose meters, which are called glucometers, which checks the blood sugar levels in the body. The devices work by analyzing a small amount of your blood, which is usually taken from the fingertip.
The device slightly pricks the skin to take the blood for testing. The meter on the devices lets you know about your current blood sugar levels, but as we know that the blood sugar levels change, it is advised to tests the levels often and record them.
In this article, you will find all the needed information, such as how glucose monitoring is performed? Its benefits and working. We have also mentioned a comprehensive buyers guide, Our Top Picks, and FAQ’s to help you make the right choice.
Top 7 Best Glucose Monitoring Machines
Easy to Read LCD Display
Visual Double Check for Accurate Readings
The Reliable Glucometer
Smart Bluetooth Technology
What are the benefits of blood glucose monitoring?
People who regularly monitor their blood sugar levels can know about their conditions in a better way.
Knowing about your blood glucose levels will be important for you as you can decide what food you should take, what medications you should be on, your diet, exercises, and thus your doctor can help you with the condition.
By checking your blood sugar levels in a routine manner will help you keep track when the sugar level is low or high, and both of the symptoms can cause serious health problems.
Your doctor will advise you with medications based on your blood glucose levels, your age, type of diabetes that you have, your overall health, and various other factors.
It is very important to keep your glucose levels within the range for the best.
High blood sugar levels can end up causing long-term complications like heart disease, kidney failure, vision loss, damage to the nerves, and low blood glucose levels can lead to weakness, dizziness, sweating.
How does my glucometer works?
First, you need to use a lancet which pierces into the skin to take a small amount of blood for testing. Blood is sucked into the test strip.
The blood glucose reacts with an enzyme called glucose oxidase present on the test strip to form gluconic acid, which then reacts with ferricyanide to form ferrocyanide.
When the test strip is inserted into the meter, the electrode oxidizes the ferrocyanide, and this generates a current directly proportional to the glucose concentration.
Hence, the number displays on the device refer to the amount of glucose in the blood.
How to use a blood sugar monitor?
- Before you test your sugar level, you need to wash your hands to get rid of germs and any kind of infection, dry your hands before taking the test.
- Next, you have to put the testing strip in the device. Place the device on your finger, and it will prick into your skin and take a small amount of blood.
- The blood goes on the strip that is inserted in the device. The monitor analyzes the blood and gives back a result, and it is displayed on the meter digitally in less than a minute.
It is important to follow the steps that come with the package and use it as instructed. Only that will give you accurate results.
If you are suffering from Type 1 diabetes, then you will have to test your blood glucose at least more than three times a day that is before and after your meals and exercises.
If you are suffering from Type 2 diabetes, then your doctor will inform you about the number of times you should check your blood glucose levels.
Every glucose monitor works in a very similar way, but there are few features and options that differ, which one needs to look at before buying to suit individual needs. First, talk to your doctor who can tell you about the glucose monitors and the requirements for yourself looking at your healthy lifestyle and budget.
It is important that you obtain accurate readings on your glucometer. There should be no interference of maltose and galactose in the blood sample. The meter should ensure fast and accurate results within the 5-seconds countdown. Also, check for automatic alerts that will notify you in case of fluctuations in the glucose level.
Glucometers for home use should have a compact size and a light-weight design. The pocket-friendly design of the meter will allow you to carry it around with you conveniently. The kit should come with a plastic or waterproof pouch so that you can conveniently store your monitor, strips, lancing device and lancets.
Ease of use
Most glucometers come with easy steps and instructions that help you measure the blood glucose level conveniently. The monitor should have an easy to read LCD display and convenient controls.
A glucometer that requires a small blood sample of 0.5 µL is preferred as it is less painful and prevents frequent pricking. There should be no need for coding. Also, it should be easy to retrieve averages and analyze trends in results.
Check the type of battery required by the glucose monitor before purchase. The batteries should be included with the glucometer kit. Also, it should have a long-lasting battery life so that you can use it for years to come.
Don’t just look at the retail price of the devices. The only thing that makes all the blood glucose monitors expensive is the test strips as one has to use a lot of them in just a single day.
The costs can increase from $18 to $265 at a minimum in a year for people who test four times a day. Replacement lancets are one more reason to add up to the expense.
If you have health insurance, it can cover a part of your supplies that are related to diabetes, and private insurances can help in covering some of the costs as well. So look out for certain brands and test strips that your insurance might cover for. Find out how may test strips can be covered for you in a month. The coverage also will depend on whether you use insulin or not.
The blood glucose meters need to be calibrated to a set of test strips, and there are some which require you to download an application or enter a particular code that will scan the code with the smartphone.
Make sure you put the correct details as otherwise, you will get inaccurate results. Few models also use a removable code chip that can calibrate the meter to each batch strips.
The common number of test results that a convenient glucose meter can store is around 360 tests. Some of the devices also track your average readings over a span of 7, 14, or 30 days to give you an overview of the blood sugar levels. If you need to test more frequently, then go for a blood glucose monitor that has more memory.
Look for models that take around 5 seconds or less to calculate the results. The difference in the seconds won’t seem like much, but when it comes down to taking the test at least 3 to 5 times a day, it can be irritating to wait for long.
Markers and Flags
Markers and Flags are features that will allow you to take note of whether the blood sugar level was calculated before or after a meal or exercise.
Today we need a small sample of blood for testing, unlike old times, which makes this process less painful. If you are sensitive to lancing, then you should look for devices that require less than one ml of your blood for testing blood sugar levels.
If you want a device that you can take along with you on the go, then look for a compact device. There are models that are pretty huge and can store multiple strips for you so that you don’t have to load each strip for every test, but that can be a bit bulky.
These devices are convenient to use at home though especially for people who have vision difficulties. Most of the devices require a medical battery so you can refer to look for devices that use AAA batteries; this makes it easier to replace.
7 Best Glucose Monitoring Machines
1. Dr. Trust (USA) Fully Automatic Blood Sugar Testing Glucometer – Easy to Read LCD Display
Dr Trust fully automatic blood sugar testing glucometer machine comes with 60 strips and a free thermometer. It uses the latest GDH-FAD strip enzyme technology to avoid interference in the blood oxygen variations. The blood ejection process is less painful as it prevents repetitive pricking.
It comes with three modes that enable you to measure the glucose level of the blood as and when required. The results are displayed on the easy to read LCD screen within 5 seconds. A happy smiley indicates positive results, while the sad smiley indicates unsatisfactory results.
- The glucose monitor weighs 299 grams.
- It comes with 60 strips, a lancing device, a free thermometer, carry case, 60 lancets, 2 AAA batteries, and a user manual.
- Uses the latest GDH-FAD strip enzyme technology to avoid maltose and galactose interference in the blood samples.
- The strip can use samples from veins, arteries, and capillaries.
- The monitor expresses the readings in two units: Mg/dL or mol/L.
- The device warns you if your ketones level crosses 13 mol/L.
- Features three modes: General, PC (after meal), and AC (empty stomach).
- Comes with a push-up strip ejection button for the convenient hands-free disposal of the strips.
- It allows you to set an alarm as a reminder for measuring the glucose level.
- The back-light LCD display is easy to read.
- It can display the test results with face symbols in just 5 seconds.
- The GDH-FAD strip enables you to eject blood from forearm, upper arm, calf, thigh and not just fingertips.
- It is capable of storing 1000 recent test results with the respective dates and times.
- Requires only a small blood sample of 0.5 µL. This makes the process less painful.
- The general mode enables you to measure glucose levels at any point of the day
- There were issues related to the accuracy of the readings
2. Accu-Chek Active Blood Glucose Meter Kit – Visual Double Check for Accurate Readings
The Accu-Check Active Blood Glucose Meter is a light-weight and compact monitor. It features an easy to read display and two buttons (M and S). These buttons are used to obtain flagging test results and average results for up the last 90 days.
It can also be connected to your PC using a USB cable when it is switched off. Ensure that your PC has a Diabetes Management Solution so that you can transfer your saved test results. The meter comes with 10 strips and a strip container with color dots. These dots can be used to visually double check your readings.
- The monitor weighs 259 grams.
- Features two buttons: M and S.
- Comes with 10 free strips.
- It provides fasting and post-meal readings.
- Enables you to connect to PC using a USB cable for transferring test results.
- Order of flags appearance: before meals, postprandial reminder, after meals, general, control solution.
- The strip container comes with colored dots that allow you to visually double-check the results.
- It provides accurate results in 5 seconds.
- Easy to use and intuitive handling.
- The meter has a free lifetime warranty.
- Compact size.
- Provides test result averages up to 90 days.
- It stopped working properly after a point of time.
3. Contour Next EZ – Complete Kit
The Contour Next EZ is the perfect device for people who are suffering from diabetes or anyone who needs a blood glucose testing device. The screen is not backlit, which is why it can be a bit difficult to read the results displayed.
The device fits pretty well in the hands and is light-weight just 1.7 ounces. It comes with two 3-volt coin cell batteries. It just takes 0.6 ml of the blood sample for testing and the test reruns six times with the latest multipulse technology that provides the best result. You will get the results in just 5 seconds.
It does not have a Bluetooth technology, which is why it needs you to download the free Bayer GlucoFacts Deluxe software on your laptop or Mac. The device offers you with diet plans and videos on the software.
- The introduction of the No Coding technology eliminates the error in the testing process by one step which could occur due to user miscoding.
- The display is easy to read
The Second Chance feature allows the user to apply more blood so that you can save money on the test strips
- Sip-In Sampling feature allows you to put the right amount of blood on your very first try
- You can personalize your blood sugar level range so that it is easy to identify the symptoms and get a clear summary of your results after the test
- Get extra tracking details with the 7, 14, and 30-day average blood test levels.
- Dimensions of the device are 3.03 x 2.24 x 0.74 inches
- Stores 480 readings in one time
- Simple testing process
- Availability of How-to videos
- Easy nutrition planning
- High-degree of accuracy in results
- No backlit for the display screen
- It does not have alternate site testings
4. Dr. Morepen BG-03 Gluco One Glucometer – The Reliable Glucometer
Dr. Morepen BG-03 Gluco One Glucometer Combo includes the monitor, lancing device, 10 lancets, a plastic case and 50 free strips. It requires a small blood sample and ensures fast readings within 5 seconds.
This glucometer uses a Biosensor technology to measure the glucose level in your blood. The monitor comes with a lifetime warranty making it a reliable option to consider.
- Dimensions of the monitor: 19 x 11 x 6 cm.
- The weight of the device is 200 grams.
- The kit includes the glucose monitor, lancing device, 10 lancets, 50 strips, a plastic case, and a lithium metal battery.
- It uses Biosensor technology to measure the glucose level in the blood.
- It requires a small blood sample of 0.5 µL.
- Readings are expressed in Mg/dL.
- Ensures accurate within 5 seconds.
- It has a large memory that can store up to 300 test results.
- Auto code monitor.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The quality of the plastic case is not good.
5. Contour Plus One Blood Glucose Monitoring System Glucometer – Smart Bluetooth Technology
The Contour Plus One Glucometer comes with a smart Bluetooth technology. This enables you to seamlessly connect to the Contour Diabetes app where you can set reminders and schedule doctor’s appointments.
The monitor is known to ensure accuracy of results even in the second 60 seconds sampling. It prevents having to check again and avoids wastage of strips.
- The glucometer weighs 290 grams.
- It allows you to seamlessly connect to the Contour diabetes app via Bluetooth technology.
- Comes with a smart light feature that alerts you in case of fluctuation in glucose levels.
- Ensures the accuracy of the result even on the second chance sampling.
- Comes with 25 free Contour test strips.
- No coding required.
- Provides readings in 5 seconds.
- Large memory that can store up to 800 results.
- Ensures fast and easy to read results.
- The device is easy to use.
- Ensures accuracy of results that meets laboratory and clinical setting criteria.
- The app enables you to set reminders and schedule doctor’s appointments.
- Battery life could be better
6. BeatO Glucometer Sugar Testing Machine – Pocket-friendly Glucometer
The BeatO glucometer is digitally advanced and sophisticated because of its unique features. It can connect to the BeatO app that offers features like BeatO care, BeatO life, BeatO food and BeatO smart. You can use these features to gain unlimited support from a team of doctors and medical experts.
It comes with automatic alerts that share your test results with doctors in case of fluctuation of glucose level. Also, the monitor is small and light-weight allowing you to easily carry it around in your pocket.
- Includes a glucometer, 50 strips, a lancing device, 20 lancets, a waterproof pouch.
- It comes with a 3.5 mm jack that can connect it to any smartphone.
- Provides access to the BeatO app that offers features including BeatO Smart, BeatO food, BeatO life and BeatO care.
- Allows you to share your test results with family and doctors via email, WhatsApp or automatic SMS.
- Requires a small blood sample to test.
- You can obtain color-coded results and analyze trends.
- Warranty: 1+4 years.
- Small, light-weight, and pocket-friendly design.
- It comes with clinically approved accuracy.
- Easy to use.
- The strips are packed individually for maintenance of hygiene.
- There were reports of inaccuracy in the results.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the different types of glucometer?
The different types of glucometers are:
Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGM): These glucometers do not require test strips. Instead, it measures the glucose level with the help of a sensor implanted under the abdominal skin. CGMs can take readings all day and night. However, you need to ensure that it is calibrated properly.
Self-Monitoring Glucose Meters (SMBG): These are the standard glucose monitoring systems that are portable, cheap, and easy to use. SMBG measures the glucose level by taking a small sample of blood on test strips. It ensures quick and accurate results.
Non-Invasive Glucose Meters: These models are not readily available in the market. They do not require blood samples. Hence, there is no finger pricking involved. Low-power radio waves are passed through the blood enriched areas of the body to measure the glucose level.
2. What is the best brand of glucometer?
The best glucometer brands are as follows:
- Accu Chek
- Dr. Morepen
- Bayer Contour
3. Is Accu Chek Performa accurate?
The Accu Chek Performa uses improved technology to ensure quick and accurate testing of the glucose level. It is easy to use and dependable.
It is advised to choose what suits your requirements. Keep in mind about the price, accuracy, your insurance, and then think about which blood glucose monitor is best for you. Make sure you are aware of the expiration dates of the test strips used for the blood samples.