The Best Vitamins and Mineral Supplements: Review
Your body requires essential vitamins and mineral for every function and process. You can get vitamins and minerals from eating unprocessed food. But it is not always easy to get all the needed nutrients from the food we eat.
Most people are always on-the-go, and having a moment to enjoy a bowl of fruit salad might seem impossible. Hence people opt for nutritional bars and vitamin supplements. Athletes and bodybuilder also need vitamins and minerals to get healthy bodies and to improve their performances.
Your body needs a small number of essential minerals and vitamin every day. However, if there are some deficiencies to correct, then vitamins and minerals supplements will be highly recommended.
People who benefit from these supplements include;
- Breastfeeding Mothers
- Illegal drug users
- Pregnant women
- Cigarette smokers
- Some vegans and vegetarians
- Heavy alcohol consumers
- People with allergies to particular foods
- Crash dieters
- People with malabsorption challenges like coeliac diseases, diarrhea, or pancreatitis.
In this article, we will provide you with all the needed information like what are vitamin and protein supplements? Essential ingredients used and few tips to know before making any purchase. Lastly, we have also mentioned Our Top 8 Supplements that are available online and FAQ’s to solve any of your doubt.
Top 8 Vitamin and Mineral Supplements
Our Top pick
Orange, Pack of 3 Tubes
Best for Pregnant mothers
est Multi-vitamin in the market
Best Double strength capsules
Best for fighting live bacteria
Best for Vitality
Best for Vegetarians
What Are Vitamins and Minerals?
Every day, a human body produces muscle, skin, and bone. These functions churn out rich blood cells that carry oxygen and essential nutrients to remote places. It formulates chemical messengers to instruct help to sustain your life. For your body to perform all these tasks, it needs some raw materials. These materials include dietary components, 30 vitamins, and minerals which your body cannot function efficiently without.
In this article, you will find the Tips on buying this vitamin and mineral supplements along with the beneficial ingredients and a list of top 10 vitamin and mineral supplements online.
Essential Ingredients That Must Be Included in Vitamins and Mineral Supplements
Taking vitamin supplements in liquid, capsule, or chewable form is a great way to supplement your diet. However, vitamin and mineral combos have flooded in the market with the claims to help you get the necessary nutrients. But that is not always the truth. Below are seven essential ingredients your supplement should have:
Vitamin D, which is also called “sunshine vitamin,” allows our bodies to absorb calcium, which is vital for bone health. Lack of vitamin D increases the likelihood of you getting sick, bone, and hair loss, as well as having bone and back pain. Researches also suggest that this vitamin reduces the risk of multiple sclerosis, decreases the chances of developing heart disease and flu.
Another great benefit of vitamin D is its ability to reduce depression. Finally, supplements that are loaded with vitamin D are perfect for weight loss.
Calcium plays a vital role in the body’s essential functions. You need calcium to move muscles, release hormones, and circulate blood. Calcium also helps in transmitting messages from your brain to other parts of the body. Your body does not produce calcium naturally, so you have to rely on diet or supplements.
You will require vitamin D for the digestion of calcium. This means as you choose supplements, ensure it contains the two ingredients. Supplements with calcium will help you get the right daily intake.
As we age, the zinc content in the body is lowered. It can also be low in anyone who is stressed. It means we all lack enough zinc nutrient. This ingredient is vital as it helps the body to use carbohydrates and support the immune system. Zinc is also the essential mineral that your body uses to fight off infections and speed up healing of injuries and the creation of DNA.
Zinc deficiency is rare, but it still occurs in some people. It is also part of sexual development, growth, and reproduction. This means that vitamins and mineral supplements can also act as libido boosters in both men and women. If you have zinc deficiency during pregnancy, your baby might develop a few hitches.
Supplements infused with zinc will treat zinc deficiency. However, consult your doctor before using supplements.
Vitamin B-12 works like a factory of diligent workers who combine their efforts to create and sustain the body’s energy. It does so by breaking down macronutrients- carbs, fats, and proteins. Vegetarians are always on the higher risk of vitamin B-12 deficiency because its primary source is fish, poultry, eggs, and animal-based meat.
The vitamin is also believed to boost your concentration, mood, energy, and memory. Vitamin and minerals supplements should then contain Vitamin B-12 to enhance your memory, concentration, and focus. More so, as we age, our cognitive ability decline. This vitamin will help in boosting it.
This is another vital ingredient that should never lack in a multivitamin supplement. Folate, which is known as folic acid is a naturally-occurring form of vitamin B9 which aid in fetus development and prevents congenital disabilities. Do you love your nails long, hard, and silky? Then this component will save your day.
Magnesium is an essential component that we must get from supplements or food. Body’s energy production and bone health are dependent on this vital element. The mineral is found in the sea, human, plants, and animals. One of the magnesium roles is to act as a cofactor in the biochemical reactions.
Main functions of magnesium include:
- Regulating neurotransmitters which rely upon messages throughout the nervous system and brain.
- It helps in energy creation by converting food into energy. This can be great for people who need energy, especially athlete.
- It helps in the creation and repair of DNA and RNA
- It creates new protein from the essential amino acids
- Magnesium is part of the muscle contraction and relaxation
Magnesium also plays a crucial role in workout performance. When working out, you might require approximately 10-20% of extra magnesium. The element will help in circulating blood sugar into your muscles as well as disposing of lactic acid.
With tight deadlines to meet at the workplace and other societal pressures, you might end up being stressed. Magnesium will elevate your mood and reduce depression. Studies also suggest that approximately 48% of people who have type 2 diabetes have low magnesium levels in their blood. Low levels of magnesium can affect insulin’s ability to control blood sugar levels.
Iron: This is another essential component that should never lack in vitamin and minerals supplements. However, not everybody needs the same amount of iron in a supplement. By eating red meat, you typically get enough iron. However, certain circumstances may require you to increase the amount of iron. These situations might be being pregnant, having your menstrual cycle, and going through puberty. This is because iron is needed in growth development.
Iron deficiency might lead to low red blood cells levels leading to a condition called anemia. At this juncture, you will require to supplement the iron deficiency with vitamin and mineral supplements.
Tips on Choosing the Best Vitamin and Mineral Supplements
Many vitamins and mineral are necessary for overall well-being, but you might not get enough of them from daily food intake. Deciding whether you need supplements or not can be a difficult task. Given the vast amount of brands in the market, picking the right product can be stressful.
Consult a dietitian about the nutrients and vitamins you lack in your diet to advise you on the best supplements to take. The tips outlined below will help you end up with vitamin and mineral supplements that will promote a healthy life and give you the value for your money.
Know Your Vitamin and Mineral Needs: Vitamin and mineral supplements are designed to supplement you with nutrients that you lack in your diet. Keep a track record of your meals and buy supplements that are inflated with those nutrients. For instance, if you’re a vegetarian, you might lack vitamin B12 since it’s mostly found in animal products. Therefore, you will need to buy vegan B12 supplements.
Any existing medical condition, such as depression, diabetes, muscle pain, hypertension will require supplements that can tackle these challenges. Vitamin C supplements are known to cure depression and elevate mood. The combination of calcium and Vitamin D will treat osteoporosis (a condition that weakens bones.)
The surrounding environment can also dictate the vitamin and minerals you need. Vitamin D comes from exposing ourselves to the sun. However, if you’re not in a position to get Vitamin D from the sun, then you can purchase Vitamin D supplements.
Choose a Quality Product: When Vitamin supplements are taken as instructed, they will have positive effects on your health. But it would be better to choose whole food vitamins which are derived from whole food. Ensure you get the supplements specialized for your age or gender.
Quality of the product is also based on the source of the nutrients. Calcium and Vitamin A nutrient are sourced from fish oils and animal products like dairy and meat. Some supplements are specially made for vegans and vegetarians.
Shop from a Reputable Vendor: Vitamin shops and pharmacies will offer you quality products. More so you can get invaluable professional advice before consuming the supplements. There are several websites and vendors selling vitamin and mineral supplements. The best way to ensure they are legit, check if they are registered. You can also ask for referrals and recommendations from close friends and relatives. Another great way of knowing legit sellers is to read reviews on their web pages.
Taking Your Supplements: Once you buy the supplements, read the labels off, and find when and how you should take them. Some vitamins are taken at least once a week, while others can be consumed daily.
Follow instructions from the manufacturer and choose the right dosage. Excessive consumption of certain nutrients like Vitamins A, D, E, and K might lead to toxicity in the body. Finally, keep the supplements in a safe and convenient place. You can stash them in your bag if you consume them during the day.
1. Wow Omega-3 Fish Oil Triple Strength – Our Top pick
WOW, Omega 3 is a dietary supplement that supplies your body with the health benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are vital for your heart and joints.
To get the most benefits of WOW Omega-3, you’re supposed to take two capsules every day: 1 in the morning and the other in the evening. Take it with plenty of water along with fatty meals to avoid fishy burps. But if people under the age of 18, pregnant women, and nursing mother should consult a healthcare provider before using this supplement.
- Has Omega 3 Fatty Acids: These fatty acids are among the 11 essential fatty acids types. They have numerous health benefits. They are crucial since the body cannot produce them naturally on their own.
- However, these fatty acids play an integral part in various physiological processes, including brain and cardiac function as well as the inflammatory response. Studies have also revealed these essential fatty acids might help in reducing the risks of arthritis, dementia, heart diseases, and depression.
- Optimal Health Ratio of 3:2 EPA: DHA: EPA and DHA are among the most vital part of fatty acids because of they covert all types of omega-three fatty acids to DHA or EPA. Fatty acids later use them in carrying out essential tasks. Through various clinical studies and researches, a vitamin and mineral supplement with 3:2 EPA: DHA ratio tends to most efficiently absorbed and utilized maximum in the body.
- Anti-Inflammatory Support: The high-quality Wow Omega 3 supplement has anti-inflammatory action, which promotes a healthy heart, reduces joint pains and stiffness. It contains no flavorings, added fillers, preservatives, additives or mercury.
- Mercury-free and burpless suitable for the keto diet
- The enteric coating enhances your absorption of fatty acids
- Provides you with 3-4 times of the essential fatty acids compared to various brands in the market
- Free of fillers, preservatives, mercury, and additives
- Reduces inflammation
- It might take longer to show the results
2. Fast&Up Charge Vitamin C Tablets and Zinc Supplements – Orange, Pack of 3 Tubes
Fast & Up India is born in order to provide athletes with nutritional needs. They started in 2015 and since then the company is providing the nutrients. List of their products includes Fast & Up BCAA, Calcium & Magnesium supplements and much more. Also, the products are categorized into active nutrition, sports nutrition, pre-workout, post-workout, During Workout, and hydration.
As we know that vitamin C is the most essential supplement for the body. Vitamin C provides strength and immunity. Fast&Up tablets provide you with vitamin C in most natural form. Also, using the tablets is easy it does not require any chewing just drop the tablet in water and drink.
- The product claims it is the natural vitamin supplement of vitamin C and consists of 1000 mg of natural amla( Indian gooseberry) extract, 10 mg zinc
- Also, the company claims it is a vegetarian product and no animal by-products are used
- Sugar content added is low
- No artificial colors used, no ascorbic acid included in the product
- Moreover, the supplement is free from banned substances
- Consume this supplement as an energy drink instead of chewing the tablet. Simply drop the tablet in a glass of water, allow it to dissolve and then drink
- This supplement really charges your body as specified, can use it on a long day for instant energy.
- Many users mentioned that they loved the taste
- Taste of the supplement is good and provides orange test
- Great for immunity
- No cons found
3. HealthKart Fish Oil – Best for Pregnant mothers
The amazing benefits of fish oil include a healthy pregnancy and weight loss. In today’s world, people are trying to get in shape by working out at the gym and eating healthy and balanced diets. Fish oil is sourced from fatty fish, and it can promote skincare and fertility.
Among other things is to tackle various heart diseases, treats depression, boost the immune system, and cure ulcers and macular degeneration. This supplement has two vital omega-3 fatty acids. Here we are talking about DHA and EPA.
- Enriched with EPA and DHA: These elements are polyunsaturated fats, which greatly help in the functioning of the human body. They should be taken for the effective functioning of the brain. Fish Oil by HealthKart will then work as tissue building blocks in the brain and the retina of the eye.
- EPA and DHA components are also crucial during old age and infancy development process. In older adults, the supplement will enhance cognitive functions, boost focus, and concentration. The proper dosage will also prevent dementia, depression, Alzheimer
- Anti-Reflux Formula: The fish oil supplement by HealthKart has anti-reflux, which promotes better absorption of critical fatty acids. The product doesn’t have a fishy taste, which can be irritating.
- Several Benefits: Regular intake of fatty acids may help in controlling levels of bad fats. This leads to significant weight loss. It can also improve mobility, joint flexibility, and boosting brain health.
- The inclusion of EPA and DHA might help in fighting diseases such as Alzheimer
- It enhances cognitive functions
- Promotes joint health and flexibility
- Ideal supplement for weight loss
- At first, it might cause an upset stomach
- You might get fish burps
4. HealthKart Multivitamin with Ginseng Extract– Best Multi-vitamin in the market
Ginseng is one of the best nutrients in the market. It comes with a plethora of benefits. Its ability to increase energy, stimulate the mind, reduce stress, and soothe inflammation makes it the most preferred element in vitamins and minerals supplements. The component has also been used in traditional Chinese medicine for ages.
Rich in Ginseng: Ginseng is a potent antioxidant that can be used to reduce inflammation. Are you suffering from any inflammation condition like lupus? Well, this supplement will be of great help. Ginseng contains ginsenoside compounds which boost antioxidant capacity in cells and inhibit inflammation. The extract increases energy, fight fatigue, lower oxidative stress, and improve physical activity.
Fortified with Important Amino Acids: Amino Acids are the basis of all crucial life processes. They are vital in the metabolic process. Most of the health issues like diabetes, arthritis, obesity, and erectile dysfunction can get traced to the poor metabolic process. These fatty acids are therefore used in boosting metabolic process, which helps in burning excessive fats.
Improved Cognitive Ability: As we age, our cognitive capacity decrease, and we might lose alertness and focus. Forgetting important meetings and important dates are some of the declines cognitive effects. HealthKart Multivitamin is designed to help you trace back your focus and improve concentration, either at work or in class.
Worthwhile: The supplement is packaged with tons of essential nutrients which comes at an affordable price. It has struck a balance between quality and affordability.
Great for Nerve Health: This multivitamin by HealthKart contains Vitamin B12 which boost the overall health of the nervous system
- Loaded with nine essential amino acids
- It can boost cognitive ability
- Improves metabolic process
- Increases energy levels in the body
- It might cause body rashes
- Some clients are complaining about it inefficiency
5. Carbamide Forte Omega 3 Fish Oil Double Strength – Best Double strength capsules
Carbamide Omega-3 Fish oil supplement is specially built to make you meet your daily omega-three intakes. The double-strength capsules contain 600mg fatty acids. This includes 220mg of DHA, 330mg of EPA, and 50mg of other unsaturated fatty acids. This is in a single pill!
Other brands in the market might contain around 350mg of all the vital amino acids per capsule. This will force you to swallow two tablets instead of 1 as it is with this supplement.
Easy to Swallow: No one would like to have difficulties trying to swallow the grape-like size of a tablet. Carbamide designed these capsules with a reasonable size to make them easy to take.
No Fishy Smell: Most of the fish oils vitamins and mineral supplements are associated with a fishy smell. This can be a turn off to users. Luckily, the product is well-designed to ensure you won’t get fishy burps.
Ultra-Pure Refined Fish Oil: Mercury is a heavy metal that is known to cause varying degrees of toxicity either when inhaled or ingested in large amounts.
Shellfish and fish tend to obtain mercury eliminated into the air from water sources or industries. However, this should not scare you since this supplement of purified with the most excellent molecular distillation. The process is done at minimal temperatures to eliminate heavy metals, PCB’s, mercury, and other toxins.
Third-Party Tested: The supplement is tested for ingredients safety, product purity, nutritional value, label accuracy, and projected effectiveness.
- Safe for human consumption
- The capsules are of a reasonable size to make it easy to swallow
- The high amount of omega 3 boost normal heart functioning
- You might get burps which can be quite irritating
6. Wow Probiotics 20 Billion per Capsule – Best for fighting live bacteria
Bacteria are everywhere: in air, water, and even in the food that we eat. We cannot eliminate them, but we can toss a billion of them down with probiotics. Scientific studies show that you can prevent and treat some ailments with supplements and foods containing certain types of live bacteria. Probiotics are not the same, and various strains of bacteria can cause different effects.
- Ulcerative colitis
- Urinary tract infections
- Recurrence of bladder cancer
- Eczema in children
This probiotic supplement by WOW is pervaded with bifidobacteria and lactobacillus acidophilus which helps in relieving constipation and to boosting the digestive system.
Highly Accurate Labelling: Based on our in-depth research and reading both amateur and professional reviews, the product was hailed for delivering as it advertises with the right amount of ingredients and nutrients per serving. It means you’ll get CFUs and bacteria the supplement promises.
Cold Storage: It’s imperative to refrigerate the supplement in to sustain the life of CFUs. The packet is labeled to should be stored in the cold.
Tackles IBS: Irritable bowel syndrome is a common cause of gut dysfunction and abdominal discomfort worldwide. However, there has been no permanent solution invented for this challenge. But by taking the supplement, its effects can be reduced.
- Very effective
- Gluten-free and soy free which can aid in weight loss
- Improves digestive health
- Curbs constipation
- Might cause stomach upsets
- A little bit pricey
7. HealthVit Mulvit A to Z Minerals and Multivitamins – Best for Vitality
Studies show that 72% of supplements users take multivitamins regularly. Multivitamins and minerals offer a myriad of benefits like curbing hunger pangs, which lead to more weight loss. They also slow aging.
Another advantage of multivitamins is its ability to boost memory and improve alertness. Daily use of multivitamins can protect you from falling sick and prevent the risk of various chronic ailments.
HealthVit is a reputable company that produced vitamins and minerals supplements to ensure a healthy life. They built this supplement around various vitamins and minerals that will supplement your nutrients daily intake.
Boost Energy Levels: You need energy when working out, when in class or even at work. Sometimes it might be hard to get a meal and keeping your empty stomach might cause you to crave junk. This product is the best remedy for low energy levels and insatiable hunger.
Improve Your Skin: when added to your daily routine, Vitamins E and C, and beta-carotene will provide a range of benefit from improving hydration, keeping your skin younger, toning your skin, and shielding the skin for impacts of pollution. The ascorbic acid is a potent antioxidant the boost firmer-feeling skin.
Detoxify Your Body: HealthVit Supplement has high levels of B-complex vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant which work together to facilitate enzymatic reactions needed for detoxification.
Rectify Nutritional Deficiencies: The product has multivitamins and minerals needed to supplement your nutrients daily intake.
- It supports healthy aging
- Keeps the brain active and boost alertness
- Protect you against hearing loss
- Great in detoxification
- Improves your skin
- Elevate your energy levels
- Has a horrible smell
- It might cause nausea
8. HealthKart Vegetarian Tablets Multivitamin for Women – Best for Vegetarians
Women take daily multivitamins because it helps them get all the necessary nutrients and vitamins they need. Women have special nutritional needs that are entirely different from men. HealthKart has produced female-specific vitamins and minerals supplements.
The product is meant to fulfill key missing nutrients in the daily life of omen to help them reach optimal lifestyle. The supplement has gingko Biloba extract, ginseng extract, and multi-minerals.
- For Brain Health: Some studies handful of studies proves that Gingko Biloba and ginseng extracts helps in boosting concentration, alertness, and focus.
- For Healthy Skin: HealthKart is rich in vitamin E, which is also called beauty vitamin. This particular vitamin improves sugar levels in the body. Vitamin E is a major antioxidant that repairs and protect your skin. The presences of antioxidants lead to neutralization of free radicals, which might cause skin dryness and damage collagen. Taking vitamin E for long can also reduce sunburns from UV rays.
- For Healthy Eyes: You might have heard or read that vitamin A is vital for your eyesight. You should also know it’s essential for other organs in the body. Vitamin boosts bone strength and development. HealthKart multivitamin has vitamin A, which can be used to treat weak eyesight and keep your eyes moist and nice. Daily consumption of vitamin A enhances night vision and can potentially protect you from night blindness. Additional, the vitamin has the capability to reduced macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Quality Tested and Certified: HealthKart Multivitamin for women- both raw and finished product is thoroughly tested at accredited labs and manufactured at a certified facility.
- The product has several nutrients and vitamins that work together for the overall health benefit
- Enhances skin health
- Great for eyesight
- Promotes brain health
- Might cause skin rashes
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is supplement good for health?
If you consider taking a natural supplement then it is good for your health. However, every human body needs a few vitamins, minerals daily that are essential in keeping you healthy. If you want to have a proper diet for good health then include supplements as well. Never overdose your supplements requirements.
2. What is the benefit of taking a multivitamin every day?
If you feel that your body is not receiving complete natural supplements then taking multivitamins daily may e helpful. Multivitamins with calcium and vitamin D increase bones strength while folic acid decrease birth defects. Vitamin C and zinc boost immunity while magnesium relaxes your body and antioxidants prevents certain cancers. Vitamin B aids in providing energy. However, it is advisable to always consult the doctor before taking multivitamins.
3. Can too many supplements be harmful?
Yes, too many supplements may be harmful. In the process of being healthy and maintaining a proper diet, many people tend to take too many supplements. Overdose of vitamins, minerals may sometimes cause nausea, stomach cramps, hair loss, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems.
4. Which is the best time of day to take my supplements?
Most of your daily supplements such as Vitamin D, multivitamin, and fish oil should be taken with breakfast or lunch, that is, your largest meal of the day. What you need to understand is that these supplements should be taken with food so they can help with absorption and digestion as well.
Now, All supplements should be taken with food, but there are however some exceptions to this rule; there are some few supplements that should be taken on an empty stomach before your meals, such as; SAM-e., this is a supplement to help you with your mood, and if taken with food, it may interfere with how your body receives it.
This supplement should be taken in the morning after waking up, and before you take any breakfast.
5. How can I tell which are the best supplements for my body?
The choice for supplements should begin by first understanding your body, and most especially your diet.
They are designed to fill nutritional gaps in your diet, and for most people, it is always safe to start with multivitamins. If you are looking to find a specified formula, ensure to find one that suits your nutritional needs and your age.
A good example of this is iron in women. If you are over 50 years of age, 8mg per day is enough, while women under 50 require 18 mg per day.
For multivitamins, the dosage is the same. If you are over 50, you will need 8mg per day, but if you are under 50, you shall need 18mg per day.
Now, on the other hand, multivitamin alone is not enough, and most people tend to mix it up with calcium and Vitamin D.
The best advice, however, would be to speak to your health care provider who will be able to advice you very well and clearly on what you should and shouldn’t take, plus the amount you require of each nutrient for your body to function as it is supposed to.
6. Can vitamins and minerals interfere with my current medication?
It is always important to get advice from your primary caregiver before adding anything unusual to your daily routine, and this includes multivitamins and minerals.
That being said, the answer to this question is yes. They can interfere with your current medication. Some over-the-counter drugs cause these multivitamins to be less effective, and therefore, you will need to be careful before you mix the two.
7. Can I still take the supplements after the expiry date?
When a drug expires, it may not be necessarily harmful if you consume it, but, the necessary ingredients required to make your body strong may have expired as well, and therefore taking the supplements is simply a waste of your time.
When you purchase these drugs, ensure to check the expiration date carefully so you can be able to consume them for the duration of time required.
8. Can I cut the supplements in half if I am unable to consume them wholly?
Yes. You can cut in half, dissolve in water, or chew them. They will work just fine.
Taking good care of your body is very simple. If especially you are unable to eat healthy meals each day, choosing to supplement your nutrition with vitamins and minerals is a great idea.
Ensure to consult a doctor or a nutritionist before taking any of these products, so you can ensure they are best suited for your body. Our Picks: Wow Omega-3 Fish Oil Triple Strength, Fast&Up Charge Vitamin C Tablets and Zinc Supplements and HealthKart Fish Oil.