Best Heating Pads: Get Rid of Pain Quickly
Heating pads are a great tool to soothe pain if you are constantly suffering from aches and muscle pain. This handy product can provide you relief from period cramps, back pain, or sore muscles from a workout, etc.
The invention of a heating pad has done a lot of good; it is a pad for warming affected parts of the body to alleviate pain. It works in a mechanism whereby blood vessels are dilated in affected parts when the heat is applied, causing perfusion to the tissue where the pain is being felt.
It makes sense why people are constantly looking for the best heating pads to relieve many different forms of muscle discomfort.
In this guide, we have mentioned various uses of heating pads and the advantages of using one. You will also find the types of heating pads and a comprehensive buyers guide. In the end, we have provided you with the list of top-rated heating pads and a few FAQs for better understanding.
Top 12 Best Heating Pads in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Best for Hypothermia
Wireless Heating Pad for Back Pain with Adjustable Heat
Wireless Heating Pad for Back Pain with Adjustable Heat
Best Heat Up Time
Best for Muscle Fatigue
Uses Of Heating Pads
A heating pad can be very relaxing when applied to parts required, and there are more positive results from the therapy than modern treatment/therapy. It can be said to be a miraculous form of healing because it can alleviate different kinds of pain.
However, it is essential to know that as there are many things heat can work on, there are also several things heat may not be suitable for. Since heat works by dilating blood vessels, below are situations where a heating pad can be applied;
Soreness caused by over-exertion of body parts, muscles, or tissues
For instance, if you haven’t played or performed an activity in a while, like cycling, the pain afterward is inevitable. Heating pads can be very effective for relief.
The stiffness of body parts or organs associated with osteoarthritis
Many times, pain could result from the stiffness of body parts due to one activity or another. Painkillers may not work, and the only choice you get is heat therapy.
Some diseases or illnesses cause body sensitivity either to water or the environment generally, and the only solution is heat therapy. Heating pads can go a long way to reduce body sensitivity to these factors.
The heat caused by the heating pad dilates the blood vessels, which stimulates blood circulation and reduces muscle spasms. Along with that, it reduces the sensation of pain.
Muscle pain in the lower back results from strain and over-exertion, which creates tension in the lower back part. This will stop the blood circulation and sends pain to the brain. The working of this heating pad is such that it stimulates the sensory receptors in the skin, which eventually decreases the pain signals which are sent to the brain.
Advantages of using a heating pad
Performing heat therapy on the body is fantastic because it takes away an amount of pain better than drugs. When placed on the area of impact, there is a result to look forward to because it works miraculously.
However, this is the general advantage of heating pads, what then are the advantages of the different types of pad mentioned above.
Electric Heating Pad
- The user gains control over how long to use the pad
- A wide range of temperatures
- Highly durable and can be used as many times as possible
Microwavable Heating Pad
- No burning risk if proper attention and careful use is regarded
- Can be used at any time of the day, even while sleeping
- Less-expensive and very affordable
- Durable on the better average
Chemical Heating Pad
- Available in small sizes and can be carried anywhere
- Fast speed for heating up
- Varying heat patches, i.e., moist (1-2 hours) and dry (8-12 hours)
- Can be applied to any part of the body
- Can be worn anywhere without being discoverable with the use of clothing
- Less-expensive and doesn’t require electricity
As you can see, the advantages each of them has to offer varies; hence, people are often advised to go for that which is suitable for them.
Types of Heating Pad
Categorically, there are three types of heating pad, even when they are available in different brands and modes of operation. These three types have distinct characteristics, and you get to make a choice which you would go for after realizing how they work and degree of effectiveness.
Electric heating pad
This is one of the customer’s top choice, and there are many brands or products under this category. It makes use of a DC voltage, i.e., requires being connected to a power source and available in different sizes ranging from small to large. They also have heat options, i.e., dry or moist, with incredible features at a good price.
Microwavable heating pad
This heating pad was built with several features put together, which makes it half electric and half mechanical or disposable. They come mostly has cooling pillows with constituents such as gel or rice that can be microwaved, causing heat, which can be applied to affected areas.
Chemical heating pad
Another customer’s choice also called the disposable heating pad available in 2 heat options, i.e., moist and dry. They are available in small sizes and can either be placed directly on the affected skin or worn in a cloth before being placed on the affected part.
Buying Guide: What you should consider?
It could be quite difficult to choose from a wide range of options when shopping for the best heating pad to use for pain. Therefore, we have brought a few of the basic things to consider before buying a heating pad.
Auto Switch off
If the heating pad becomes too heated, it causes a threat to users. If it comes with an auto-switch off feature, when the pad becomes too hot, it will automatically turn off, making it safer for users.
Length of the Power cord
It is an important factor while buying a heating pad. If you are planning to buy a wired heating pad, it should have a long wire so that it does not hinder your movement.
It is good to go for a product having the wireless capability because it gives you the freedom to move and work when this pad has been applied.
Before making any decision, the first thing one should be aware of is the type of ailment he or she wants to use the heating pad for. Pain varies in types, degrees, and treatment. Ensure you seek medical attention first before anything. What you may be experiencing could be a result of a severe ailment in the body, which requires more than just heat therapy.
Even though heat therapy could be recommended later, ensure you get yourself checked first before anything. However, if it is a usual pain like soreness as a result of over-exertion or backache, heating pads are highly recommended.
Having discovered the type of ailment with the recommendation of heat therapy, it is important you check a heating pad on its mode of operation and heat source. There are different types, as aforementioned, with each having its mode of operation.
Heat up time seems like an important factor because it deals with time in which the pad gets ready for use. While some may require a shorter period, some require longer, and this gets bothersome, especially for busy people.
Sometimes, those with short heat-up time often have additional features and looks expensive. It is a good choice to pick a heating pad with a heat-up time greater than average and remains effective at the same time.
Heat settings and Features
Also, many people fall in love with products with incredible features and qualities. However, on heat settings and features, an electric heating pad is the subject here because it can be regulated. It has been designed to have varying heat options or temperatures, which will be suitable for different kinds of pain.
In addition to this, an automatic on-and-off feature could be made available to adjust and regulate the functioning of the heating tool. Ensure you are careful to pick the right thing when shopping.
Going further, comfort must be derived in whatever way as possible when using the pad. Sometimes, people may not get the chance to use during the day and would rather love to use at night; hence, the heating pad must be comfortable to use while sleeping, and positive results should be seen when awake.
Pad size and type
There are three sizes of pads (small, medium, and large), depending on the area of impact and comfort, it is advisable to get the size that suits you. The medium-sized pad is useful for multi-purpose use, while Chemical heating pads are usually small in size.
They also have different colors that ignite choice in the selection process. The material used to make them is important, and while some have been designed with an in-built material like gel or rice, e.g., an electric hot gel pouch, some are plain.
This factor is important, especially for the microwaveable and chemical heating pad, because the built-in material must be able to pop and hold heat, which will make it useful for its designed purpose. The two common materials used are gel and rice. For instance, the rice in the pad is microwaved, causing heat helpful in relieving pain.
Lastly, what makes the best heating pad different from every other type is how safe it is to use. The security of whatever you purchase, whether Electric, Microwaveable, or Chemical, must be topnotch both in quality and safety, and this can only be known from its durability and warranty.
12 Best Heating Pads
1. APEX Heat Therapy Orthopaedic Pain Reliever Electric Heating Pad
Apex Orthopedic heating belts are one of the best pain-relieving tools you can have at a very low price. This is one of those companies that makes affordable products for you to use. The soft material of this product is very convenient to use and works like a charm.
Along with being shockproof, flexible, and pocket-friendly, it is also user-friendly and can be used regularly. This fully automatic machine comes with a built-in thermostat with decent product quality at this price range. It comes with different heat options to choose from and is safe and effective to use.
- This orthopedic heating belt will ensure to provide relief from joint pain, muscle pain, back pain, leg pain, shoulder pain, knee pain, wrist pain, cramps, neck pain, and elbow pain.
- The heat pad runs on a heating coil that is of superior quality, even at this low price. It is durable and long-lasting.
- The product is tested and proven to be shockproof and safe to use for everyone. Starting from the built-in thermostat to temperature control, everything is safe.
- This heating pad comes with adjustable velcro tape so you can adjust and fit this pad as per your needs.
- There is a built-in LED thermostat indicator to let you notify about the temperature.
- It is an energy-efficient device that consumes very little power.
- There are three pre-set adjustable heat levels for you to choose from in this device. Choose your desired temperature accordingly.
- The build quality is decent, and the material that has been used is very soft and feels comfortable as well.
- This product comes with no side effects. Also, it has multi-level insulation to make sure that you are comfortable while using it.
- The temperature control switch of this device is made of poor quality plastic and is not long-lasting.
2. Caresmith Eon Premium Electric Hot Water Bag
This Caresmith Premium electric hot bag is a traditional hot water bag at an affordable mid-range price. There are many features and advantages of using it. The dual silicon technology, along with its compact size, is a total package.
Caresmith is a brand that manufactures many products, and all of them are made with high-grade materials for better comfort and customer satisfaction.
This hot water bag is no exception and comes with tons of features, to begin with. This is one of the most effective tools for cramps and stomach ache as well.
- This is a very compact-sized hot bag from Caresmith that you can carry with you easily.
- This runs on electricity and gets heated very quickly in no time.
- You do not need to fill water in it manually.
- This hot water bag also comes with overheating protection, which means it switches off automatically after reaching a specific temperature to prevent any harm.
- This is an ideal choice for a bed warmer.
- This hot bag is filled with distilled water and does not contain any synthetic gels or additives.
- This can resist a weight of up to 100kgs.
- This hot bag has been tested properly and is proven to be safe and secure to use. It comes with six layers of protection to prevent any injuries from happening. Your protection is their top priority.
- It comes with Dual insulation silicone technology that keeps the hot bag warmer for longer.
- This energy-saving hot bag does not consume much electricity and also is environment-friendly. When charged fully, it will keep the bag warm for up to 4 hours.
- The charger that comes with this heating pad is anti-explosive, and an additional cloth cover is provided with it in case if it is overheated.
- It gets charged within 6 to 10 minutes and makes no noise.
- The heating coil is made of premium quality silicone for longevity.
- The water in the hot bag and the electrical parts are separated properly, so it does not get short-circuited.
- The intelligent thermostat makes sure to provide you with warm bliss.
- The product is a little overpriced.
3. Tynor Ortho Heating Gel Bag
Tynor ortho heating gel bag is a portable device for effective heat therapy for a long duration. It is a cordless heating pad with quick electric charging that makes it convenient to use.
- The product is cordless that ensures safety and unrestricted access.
- It has a quick charging system. The heat gel bag heats up within a few minutes of charging.
- The heating gel bag weighs 1 kg 430 grams and is compact with 39.7 x 48.5 x 11cm.
- It is a portable heating gel bag.
- The device induces vasodilation and tissue healing that helps treat sub-acute and chronic injuries.
- It runs on electricity with no hassles of heating water on gas or heaters.
- The quality can be improved.
4. Flamingo Orthopedic Heat Belt – Best Sizes
Flamingo Orthopedic is a fast solution for pains such as backaches, sprains, abscesses, boil, cramps, and those of the joints and muscles. It has been designed in such a way that it brings comfort to the user before and after use.
Although, this heat pad alongside belt only goes well with guidance from medical personnel, especially for women to avoid complications. To use effectively and ensure absolute relief is recorded, the heat pad is in 3 sizes with a great amount of heat, which is suitable for the body.
- Two in-built thermostats
- Soft cotton cover
- Heating coil
- Four layers of insulation
- Velcro waist/heat belt
- Three different sizes are available to enhance customer’s selection/choice
- For safety, four layers of insulation and two in-built thermostats are available
- Great use of heat as a result of its long lasting-heating coil
- The cover is soft and washable
- Flexible, portable and versatile
- Very expensive
- Not suitable for everyone
5. Elove Orthopedic Electric Heating Pad with Waist belt – Best Technology
Elove Orthopedic Electric heating pad is one of the most expensive products on the market because it comes with a waist belt as well as a temperature controller.
It is also one of the fastest heat pads ever known with its 30-seconds relief time. Improved with high tech, it heals sore muscles, increases blood circulation around the body, and comfortably relaxes the muscles.
Maintenance of this product is quite good because the soft pad cover can be washed and dry in a washing machine to reduce the stress of cleaning with hands. With a 1.5-meter power cord and a single-button controller, it is easy to use this heat pad at home.
Lastly, the product is very expensive, but it is an ideal choice for treating arthritic pain, muscle ache, stiff joints, discomfort in the back area, body cramps, and other ailments. However, it is recommended that heat therapy with this heat pad should be done for at most 20 minutes in a day.
- Three heat settings to choose from
- Built-in thermostat
- Heat or waist belt
- The material is soft and flexible in quality
- Pad can be washed easily with the machine
- Durable and consumes low power
- Short and fast in effect
- Relieves pain from the joints, muscles, arthritis, etc.
- Single-button controller for performance.
- Very expensive
- Doesn’t have an automatic on and off feature
6. Ledzz Electric Hot Water Bag Heating Gel Pad with Hand Pocket – Best Price
This is a hot water bag covered with fur and velvet for effective heat therapy. With the help of the fur covering, heat can be retained for a very long time when placed directly on the skin. The quality and texture of the fur give a smooth feeling on the skin; hence, it is very comfortable to use.
One important thing to know is that: the outlook of the heat pad makes it one of the best customer’s choices provided with the fact that it comes at an affordable price. Furthermore, it is a rechargeable heat bag which can be charged for some minutes before being put to use.
Also, on its safety, Ledzz electric hot water bag has been sealed with a special gel that cannot spill directly on the skin and made to be electric shock-free. In general, it is an ideal choice for the treatment of aches and warmth.
- Artificial fur and velvet pad, which means it has been designed for quality purposes.
- It has no battery and requires only a connection to a power source.
- Pocket-size pad
- Soft pad material
- Available in various customer’ design
- Shock-free, safe and comfortable to use
- Artificial fur covering retains heat for a long time
- Uncompromised quality and performance
- Relatively cheap and easy to use
- Designed with a hand pocket
- Rechargeable and improved with a special gel
- No heat-up time and limit for use recorded
7. Asbob Electric Rechargeable Heating Pad – Best for Hypothermia
Ordinarily, one could see the structure and design of the bag and fall in love with it. It is a warm bag, and if there is something it does best, it is to provide warmth in cold weather. It can be used effectively for as long as 3 hours with only a heat up time of 5 to 10 minutes. The pouch has been sealed with gel, enhancing performance and making it comfortable to use.
The heat pad/bag can be used to relieve pains such as Backache, Arthritis, discomfort in the joints and muscles, hypothermia, sprains, and even cramps. It is a good product because of its topnotch quality and warranty that comes with it directly showing its durability.
- Automatic switch (on and off)
- 5 to 10 minutes heat up time
- Special gel-filled pouch
- Portable body and rechargeable
- The heat pad can be used for as long as 3 hours to relieve all kinds of pain
- Requires little amount of electricity
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- Effective to use in cold conditions
- Requires maximum maintenance
- Heat time may be too long
8. Tynor Ortho Heating Pad
Tynor Ortho Heating Pad is a safe and secure product that is made up of fabric that is waterproof and easy to clean. There are many features available with this product.
- A safe and secure product that does not cause a threat to users while applying over sore muscles and painful areas.
- The pad is made up of fabric that is washable. The waterproof feature makes it one of the preferable choices.
- It comes with 3 temperature mode setting, which can be adjusted according to the user’s wish.
- The heating pad is designed in such a way that it makes it flexible and soft for use.
- This is portable and convenient to carry.
- The fabric is shrink-proof as well.
- The heat control switch is a little bulky.
9. SandPuppy New Fitbelt – Wireless Heating Pad for Back Pain with Adjustable Heat
If you want to get the best healing experience for sore muscles, SandPuppy New Fitbelt – Wireless Heating Pad for Back Pain with Adjustable Heat (Medium) is a new product available in the market.
- The heating pad works with the infrared technology that creates a soothing experience for users, which affects deep inside the muscles.
- You can easily adjust the heat settings according to your wish. It comes with 3 varying heat settings, low, medium, and high until your body feels relaxed.
- The product comes with a rechargeable battery that can be charged. If you have a mobile phone or a power bank, you can easily charge it.
- With just a single charge, it can be operated continuously for 2 hours.
- No negative points were observed
10. HEJ Electric Rechargeable Heating Pad – Best Heat Up Time
HEJ Kawachi is a heating pad made of rubber, wrapped in beautiful colors but with high durability and quality. And can be used for 2 to 4 hours on a single charge.
It alleviates a great deal of pain of the muscle and tissue such as cramps, aches, sprains, boils, arthritis, etc. and makes one comfortable after use.
The heating pad has been designed to be leak-proof to ensure that the gel in the pad does not spill directly on the skin, which could be hazardous. It is also shockproof, which makes it a better choice than many other types available on the market. Although there are various heat up times, there are also a different number of hours it can be used for about temperature.
Lastly, if you need something portable and rechargeable, HEJ Kawachi is an ideal choice because it comes at a reasonable price and quality.
- Automatic switch (on and off)
- Heating pad made of rubber
- Water gel-filled pouch
- It runs on electricity; hence, it requires an extensible cord to connect it to a power
- The pad contains water gel which can be heated up within 3 to 4 minutes
- Consumes less electricity
- Very affordable
- With a sturdy and compact design, it allows one to pack and fold appropriately into a box to carry around conveniently.
- Leak-proof and shock-proof
- Less gel in the bag
11. Thermocare Heating Gel Pad – Best for Muscle Fatigue
This is a product from Thermostat industries which has been designed for absolute comfort. The gel pad relieves all kinds of pain and restores one to total complete health after use. The heat pad has a heated time of 7 to 10 minutes signaled by an indicator (red light) and supported by an automatic on and off feature. Once it is charged or heated, it can stay for as long as 1 to 2 hours.
However, the product requires proper maintenance because it is made of soft material that ensures a smooth feel on the skin. As designed with advanced technology, it is a better version of a traditional hot water bag that can be used to alleviate ailments such as soreness of muscle and an increase in blood flow all around the body. Also, it is an ideal choice in cold, unfavorable conditions.
Lastly, it is portable and very easy to use; one doesn’t need a manual on how it works before it is put to use.
- 7 to 10 minutes heat up time
- Automatic switch (on and off)
- Heat use time between 60 to 120 minutes
- Very portable and safe to use
- An ideal choice for cold weather
- Relieves all kinds of pain especially those from the muscle
- Soft design and material
- Heat up time is long and can only be used within 1 to 2 hours
- Requires proper maintenance and care.
12. Vissco Orthopedic Electric Heating Belt Pad PC1009 – Best Comfortable
This is, by far, the most expensive heat pad you will ever find in this review article. It consists of an electric belt that can be placed on any part of the body, and it will hold well. With an electronic controller by the side of the pad, heat can be regulated into three modes.
The body is made of a soft material that enhances a smooth feel on the skin rather than a sticky one, which is another form of comfort to the user. No doubt, a speedy recovery is feasible after moderate use, and it can rejuvenate users back to a good state of health.
Lastly, some ailments it works perfectly on aches, discomforts, sore muscles, and stiff joints, injuries, minor inflammations, etc. Orthopedic ailments are not left out for treatment with the aid of this heat pad. It is a great quality product that has a lot to offer when used to its full potential.
- Orthopedic support
- The 3 modes are adjustable temperatures that will suit your skin and heal up whatever ailment you are suffering from.
- Controller side switch
- Treats all kinds of pain and ailment effective
- Versatile and can be used anywhere
- The heat pad has a dual thermostat with six heating coils which enhances safety
- Features such as a thermostat, controller improve safety
- Very expensive
- Maintenance is high.
Frequently Asked Questions
Many times, we see questions on the use of heating pads and how active people expect them to be. From a wide survey on the study and use of heating pads, below are frequently asked questions on heating pads and perfect answers to them;
1. How long should you apply the heating pad?
It is ideal for applying the heating pad for about 20 minutes for the best results.
2. What happens if you leave the heating pad on for too long?
It is possible to sustain the burn, which arises due to leaving the heating pad on for too long than what is recommended.
3. What is the mode of operation of any heating pad?
It is no news that heating pads are mostly placed directly on the skin to enhance sensory receptors of the skin and creating a form of delusional response of the pain felt in an affected area. The brain triggers this delusional response; hence, it gives a form of relief after some time.
Also, there is another thing heat does: it enhances the elasticity of the tissues of the muscle, creating a release in tension and increasing blood circulation all around the body.
The blood flow allows beneficial nutrients to be brought to the affected region, ensuring the proper repair of worn-out tissues and reducing pain.
4. What makes infrared heat pads different from electric heat pads?
While the former (infrared heat pads) penetrates deep into the tissue, touching the bones and cells, the latter (electric heat pads) only penetrates the skin, and heat does all the tissue repair work. Although both allow an increase in blood flow, injuries heal faster in infrared heat pads than electric heat pads.
However, people don’t necessarily have to use infra-red heat pads for small injuries, and its use only depends on the degree of injury or pain.
5. What is the maximum temperature of a heating pad?
Although there are different types of heating pad, it is still possible to get the maximum temperature a pad can give. However, some factors ultimately determine the limit of a heating pad, and these are; the size of the pad, style of the pad, a brand of heating pad, and so on.
Most often, the common range of temperatures is between 60 degrees to 70degrees for dry pads while it gets to 79degrees at the hottest and the hottest for moist pads is 80 degrees
6. How effective is it for back pain?
Heating pads are great for back pain, and it requires the right type of product having available features. There are heating pads with a belt, which is great for back pain; however, it is important to get a diagnosis of what could cause back pain before making a move.
The back pain could be as a result of a debilitating sickness that would require proper medical attention. Treatment with heat therapy is a great one as long as you have successfully discovered the point of impact and cause of pain.
7. Do heating pads work for menstrual cramps?
One recent discovery is that heating pads work perfectly for menstrual cramps, and this is a solution for women who constantly suffer from them. It works in such a way that the heat relaxes the contracting muscles causing cramps and provides instantaneous relief.
8. What is the effect of heating pads on arthritis?
There are two types of arthritis, i.e., benign and malignant. For benign arthritis that may affect the hand, heating pads would relax the muscle and alleviate pain. Still, for malignant arthritis that comes with inflammation, medical attention is required before you proceed with any treatment.
10. What can heating pads do to swelling?
In the case of swelling, applying heat wouldn’t help at all because you are enhancing more blood flow to the affected region. The muscle tissue is bleeding; hence, what you need is cold pressure that will repair the tissues.
11. Do people sleep on heating pads?
Some heating pads have been designed with features that allow you to make use of them while being asleep; however, it is not advisable for some types because health hazards could result. Continuous application of heat over some time could burn your skin, and there is a higher risk of the heat pad catching fire in little time.
12. Who shouldn’t use heating pads?
There are exceptions to people who can use heating pads, and they are;
- Children under the ages of 8
- People with body sensitivity issues
- People with allergies
- People under the influence of drugs and alcohol
From the review above, we have seen what heating pads are and how they can improve our lives and day-to-day activities. Going further, the different types of the heating pad were explained about how they work and the advantages of using them. If there are questions yet left unanswered before now, the frequently asked questions section will give convincing answers.
In conclusion, ensure you choose any of those listed above and ensure it works for the kind of ailment you are suffering from. If there is no visible improvement after a while, you must seek medical attention.