Best Heating Pads: Get Rid of Pain Quickly
Often, people don’t get the chance to nurse or manage pain effectively caused by various reasons, and this could affect day-to-day activities. There are several kinds of pain ranging from mild to debilitating ones, and it is important to look for alternatives on how to relieve them other than using drugs. The invention of a heating pad has done a lot of good; it is a pad for warming affected parts of the body to alleviate pain.
If you wish to know all about heating pads you are at right place. Here we have mentioned various uses of heating pads and Who benefits from using a heating pad? along with its features and the advantages of using one. You will also find the types of heating pads and a comprehensive buyers guide. In the end, we have provided you with the list of top rated heating pads and a few FAQs for better understanding.
Wireless Heating Pad for Back Pain with Adjustable Heat
Best Heat Up Time
Best Value for Money
Best for Hypothermia
Best for Muscle Fatigue
Uses Of Heating Pads:
A heating pad can be very relaxing when applied on parts required and there are more positive results from the therapy than modern treatment/therapy. It can be said to be a miraculous form of healing because it can alleviate different kinds of pain.
However, it is essential to know that as there are many things heat can work on, there are also several things heat may not be suitable for. Since heat works by dilating blood vessels, below are situations where a heating pad can be applied;
- Soreness caused by over-exertion of body parts, muscles or tissues: For instance, if you haven’t played or performed an activity in a while like cycling, the pain afterward is inevitable. Heating pads can be very effective for relief.
- The stiffness of body parts or organs associated with osteoarthritis: Many times, pain could result from the stiffness of body parts due to one activity or another. Painkillers may not work, and the only choice you get is heat therapy.
- Body sensitivity: Some diseases or illnesses cause body sensitivity either to water or the environment generally, and the only solution is heat therapy. Heating pads can go a long way to reduce body sensitivity to these factors.
Advantages of using a heating pad
Performing heat therapy on the body is fantastic because it takes away an amount of pain better than drugs. When placed on the area of impact, there is a result to look forward to because it works miraculously.
However, this is the general advantage of heating pads, what then are the advantages of the different types of pad mentioned above.
Electric Heating Pad
- The user gains control over how long to use the pad
- A wide range of temperatures
- Highly durable and can be used as many times as possible
Microwavable Heating Pad
- No burning risk if proper attention and careful use is regarded
- Can be used any time of the day, even while sleeping
- Less-expensive and very affordable
- Durable on the better average
Chemical Heating Pad
- Available in small sizes and can be carried anywhere
- Fast speed for heating up
- Varying heat patches, i.e., moist (1-2 hours) and dry (8-12 hours)
- Can be applied to any part of the body
- Can be worn anywhere without being discoverable with the use of clothing
- Less-expensive and doesn’t require electricity
As you can see, the advantages each of them has to offer varies; hence, people are often advised to go for that which is suitable for them.
Features of Heating Pad
Below are features of every heating pad, whether Electric, Microwavable or Disposable;
One important characteristic of a heating pad is its heat source. They are several ways in which heat can be derived; it can either be obtained directly by electricity or indirectly using hot materials.
In this case, the heat source is by electrical charge and soaking of heat material which can be used for a short period or long period.
Some electric ones have been designed in such a way that they can be recharged and used while those that require soaking into the water to stimulate the material can be applied directly on the body to alleviate pain.
Lastly, for any heat source, there are two heat options, i.e., dry and moist with respective time of usage.
What makes a heating pad is the ability of the pad to produce heat which can be applied on the body. The pad is an important feature and requires proper attention when picking or shopping. They are available in various sizes; small, medium and large.
They also have different colors which ignite choice in the selection process. The material used to make them is important, and while some have been designed with an in-built material like gel or rice, e.g., an electric hot gel pouch, some are plain.
Who benefits from using a heating pad?
The heating pad is useful for people who are having sore and tightened muscles. This heating pad can also be used to increase the blood flow within a particular area on your body. It could be one of the ideal ways to ease the joint pain which comes along with Arthritis.
- Arthritis: The heat caused by the heating pad dilates the blood vessels which stimulates blood circulation and reduces the muscles spasms. Along with that, it reduces the sensation of pain.
- Muscle Spasm: Muscle pain in the lower back results from strain and over-exertion which creates tension in the lower back part. This will stop the blood circulation and sends pain to the brain. The working of this heating pad is such that, it stimulates the sensory receptors in the skin which eventually decreases the pain signals which are sent to the brain.
Types of Heating Pad
Categorically, there are three types of heating pad even when they are available in different brands and mode of operation. These three types have distinct characteristics, and you get to make a choice which you would go for after realizing how they work and degree of effectiveness.
- Electric heating pad: This is one of the customer’s top choice, and there are many brands or products under this category. It makes use of a DC voltage, i.e., requires being connected to a power source and available in different sizes ranging from small to large. They also have heat options, i.e., dry or moist with incredible features at a good price.
- Microwavable heating pad: This heating pad was built with several features put together which makes it half electric and half mechanical or disposable. They come mostly has cooling pillows with constituents such as gel or rice that can be microwaved, causing heat which can be applied to affected areas.
- Chemical heating pad: Another customer’s choice also called the disposable heating pad available in 2 heat options, i.e., moist and dry. They are available in small sizes and can either be placed directly on the affected skin or worn in a cloth before being placed on the affected part.
Buying Guide: What you should consider?
It could be quite difficult to choose from a wide range of options when shopping for the best heating pad to use for pain. Therefore, we have brought a few of the basic things to consider before buying a heating pad.
Auto Switch off
If the heating pad becomes too heated, it causes a threat to users. If it comes with an auto-switch off feature, when the pad becomes too hot, it will automatically turn off, making it safer for users.
Length of Power cord
It is an important factor while buying a heating pad. If you are planning to buy a wired heating pad, it should have a long wire so that it does not hinder your movement.
It is good to go for a product having the wireless capability because it gives you the freedom to move and work when this pad has been applied.
Before taking any decision, the first thing one should be aware of is the type of ailment he or she wants to use the heating pad for. Pain varies in types, degree, and treatment. Ensure, you seek medical attention first before anything. What you may be experiencing could be as a result of a severe ailment in the body which requires more than just heat therapy.
Even though, heat therapy could be recommended later, ensure you get yourself checked first before anything. However, if it is a usual pain like soreness as a result of over-exertion or back ache, heating pads are highly recommended.
Having discovered the type of ailment with the recommendation of heat therapy, it is important you check a heating pad on its mode of operation and heat source. There are different types as aforementioned with each having its mode of operation.
Heat up Time
Heat up time seems like an important factor because it deals with time in which the pad gets ready for use. While some may require a shorter period, some require longer, and this gets bothersome especially for busy people.
Sometimes, those with short heat up time often have additional features and looks expensive. It is a good choice to pick a heating pad with a heat up time greater than average and remains effective at the same time.
Heat settings and Features
Also, many people fall in love with products with incredible features and qualities. However, on heat settings and features, an electric heating pad is the subject here because it can be regulated. It has been designed to have varying heat options or temperature which will be suitable for different kinds of pain.
In addition to this, an automatic on-and-off feature could be made available to adjust and regulate the functioning of the heating tool. Ensure you are careful to pick the right thing when shopping.
Going further, comfort must be derived in whatever way as possible when using the pad. Sometimes, people may not get the chance to use during the day and would rather love to use at night; hence, the heating pad must be comfortable to use while sleeping and positive results should be seen when awake.
There are three sizes of pads (small, medium and large), depending on the area of impact and comfort, it is advisable to get the size that suits you. Medium-sized pad is useful for multi-purpose use while Chemical heating pads are usually small in size.
This factor is important especially for the microwaveable and chemical heating pad because the built-in material must be able to pop and hold heat which will make it useful for its designed purpose. The two common materials used are gel and rice. For instance, the rice in the pad is microwaved, causing heat helpful in relieving pain.
Lastly, what makes the best heating pad different from every other type is how safe it is to use. The security of whatever you purchase whether Electric, Microwaveable, or Chemical must be topnotch both in quality and safety and this can only be known from its durability and warranty.
9 Best Heating Pads
1. Clothsfab Electrothermal Electric Pad – Best Heated
This is a top-rated product because of the fantastic features that come with it. It goes way beyond being an ordinary heating pad because it can be used for multiple purposes. Hence, it is versatile.
This heating pad is an Electrothermal water bag, as well as an Electric heating gel pad which is suitable to alleviate pains of the joint and muscles.
Clothsfab electrothermal heating pad is a modernized and advanced form of a traditional hot water bottle. It has only been improved with electrical features, gel-material and proper packaging.
Furthermore, the heating pad can be kept inside the quilt for self-heating or somewhat reduce to the minimum temperature for body massage. It relieves aches and cold in unfavorable conditions, keeping the body at its best state and making you comfortable.
Lastly, it is one of the best heating pads with short heat up time.
- It heats up within 5 minutes and can be used for 3 to 5 hours after then.
- It can be used for multi purposes.
- It is available in different colors for customers to pick from.
- Gel-filled pouch
- Short and fast heat up time
- Can be used for about 3-5 hours
- An automatic on and off feature when the charge is complete
- A red indicator shows up when it is connected to a socket
- Relieves pain from the joint and muscle
- Requires maximum maintenance
2. SandPuppy New Fitbelt – Wireless Heating Pad for Back Pain with Adjustable Heat
If you want to get the best healing experience for sore muscles, SandPuppy New Fitbelt – Wireless Heating Pad for Back Pain with Adjustable Heat (Medium) is a new product available in the market.
- The heating pad works with the infrared technology that creates a soothing experience for users which affects deep inside the muscles.
- You can easily adjust the heat settings according to your own wish. It comes with 3 varying heat setting, low, medium and high until your body feels relaxed.
- The product comes with a rechargeable battery that can be charged. If you have a mobile phone or a power bank, you can easily charge it.
- With just a single charge, it can be operated continuously for 2 hours.
- No such cons mentioned.
3. HEJ Electric Rechargeable Heating Pad – Best Heat Up Time
HEJ Kawachi is a heating pad made of rubber, wrapped in beautiful colors but with high durability and quality. And can be used for 2 to 4 hours on a single charge.
It alleviates a great deal of pain of the muscle and tissue such as cramps, aches, sprains, boils, arthritis, etc. and makes one comfortable after use.
The heating pad has been designed to be leak-proof to ensure that the gel in the pad does not spill directly on the skin which could be hazardous. It is also shockproof which makes it a better choice than many other types available on the market. Although there are various heat up time, there are also a different number of hours it can be used for about temperature.
Lastly, if you need something portable and rechargeable, HEJ Kawachi is an ideal choice because it comes at a reasonable price and quality.
- Automatic switch (on and off)
- Heating pad made of rubber
- Water gel-filled pouch
- It runs on electricity; hence, requires an extensible cord to connect it to a power
- The pad contains water gel which can be heated up within 3 to 4 minutes
- Consumes less electricity
- Very affordable
- With a sturdy and compact design, it allows one to pack and fold appropriately into a box to carry around conveniently.
- Leak-proof and shock-proof
- Less gel in the bag
4. Flamingo Orthopedic Heat Belt – Best Sizes
Flamingo Orthopedic is a fast solution for pains such as backaches, sprains, abscesses, boil, cramps and those of the joints and muscles. It has been designed in such a way that it brings comfort to the user before and after use.
Although, this heat pad alongside belt only goes well with guidance from medical personnel, especially for women to avoid complications. To use effectively and ensure absolute relief is recorded, the heat pad is in 3 sizes with a great amount of heat which is suitable for the body.
- Two in-built thermostats
- Soft cotton cover
- Heating coil
- Four layers of insulation
- Velcro waist/heat belt
- Three different sizes are available to enhance customer’s selection/choice
- For safety, four layers of insulation and two in-built thermostats are available
- Great use of heat as a result of its long lasting-heating coil
- The cover is soft and washable
- Flexible, portable and versatile
- Very expensive
- Maximum maintenance is required
- No heat regulator or controller
- Not suitable for everyone
5. Elove Orthopedic Electric Heating Pad with Waist belt – Best Technology
Elove Orthopedic Electric heating pad is one of the most expensive products on the market because it comes with a waist belt as well as a temperature controller. It is also one of the fastest heat pads ever known with its 30-seconds relief time. Improved with a high tech, it heals sore muscles, increases blood circulation around the body and comfortably relaxes the muscles.
Maintenance of this product is quite good because the soft pad cover can be washed with a machine to reduce the stress of cleaning with hands. After washing with a machine, the pad cover also supports the use of a dryer to work gently on the fabric. With a 1.5-meter power cord and single-button controller, it is easy to use this heat pad at home.
Lastly, the product is very expensive, but it is an ideal choice for treating arthritic pain, muscle ache, stiff joints, discomfort in the back area, body cramps and other ailments. However, it is recommended that heat therapy with this heat pad should be done for at most 20 minutes in a day.
- Three heat settings to choose from
- Built-in thermostat
- Heat or waist belt
- The material is soft and flexible in quality
- Pad can be washed easily with machine
- Durable and consumes low power
- Short and fast in effect
- Relieves pain from the joints, muscles, arthritis, etc.
- Single-button controller for performance.
- Very expensive
- Doesn’t have an automatic on and off feature
6. Ledzz Electric Hot Water Bag Heating Gel Pad with Hand Pocket – Best Price
This is a hot water bag covered with fur and velvet for effective heat therapy. With the help of the fur covering, heat can be retained for a very long time when placed directly on the skin.The quality and texture of the fur give a smooth feeling on the skin; hence, it is very comfortable to use.
One important thing to know is that: the outlook of the heat pad makes it one of the best customer’s choices provided with the fact that it comes at an affordable price. Furthermore, it is a rechargeable heat bag which can be charged for some minutes before being put to use.
Also, on its safety, Ledzz electric hot water bag has been sealed with special gel which cannot spill directly on the skin and made to be electric shock-free. In general, it is an ideal choice for the treatment of aches and warmth.
- Artificial fur and velvet pad which means it has been designed for quality purposes.
- It has no battery and requires only a connection to a power source.
- Pocket-size pad
- Soft pad material
- Available in various customer’ design
- Shock-free, safe and comfortable to use
- Artificial fur covering retains heat for a long time
- Uncompromised quality and performance
- Relatively cheap and easy to use
- Designed with a hand pocket
- Rechargeable and improved with a special gel
- No heat up time and limit for use recorded
- The design may vary in real life
- Requires proper maintenance to avoid loss in quality
7. Hk Villa Electrothermal Heating Pad – Best Value for Money
HK villa heating pad is also one of the fast-rising products we have for heat therapy which can be used to treat pain, aches, etc. It has fantastic quality, and it can be used during unfavorable climatic conditions.
While being made of a soft material, it contains a special gel which can be heated up by electricity within 3 to 10 minutes and usable for 2 to 5 hours.
In general, it can alleviate pain and treat ailments such as arthritis, menstrual cramps, pain from the joints and muscles, backache, sprains, etc. It has other features that make sure maximum comfort and performance is guaranteed.
- 5 to 10 minutes heat up time
- A pouch filled with a special gel
- Portable size
- Soft pad material
- 60 to 120 minutes heat use
- Effective on all kinds of pain including sore neck, arthritis, hypothermia, back pain, etc.
- Automatic on and off feature for high performance
- Moderate heat up time and extended use
- Relatively cheap
- Rechargeable and effect is instant
- Heat time may not be as expected
8. Asbob Electric Rechargeable Heating Pad – Best for Hypothermia
Ordinarily, one could see the structure and design of the bag and fall in love with it. It is a warm bag, and if there is something it does best, it is to provide warmth in cold weather. It can be used effectively for as long as 3 hours with only heat up time of 5 to 10 minutes. The pouch has been sealed with gel, enhancing performance and making it comfortable to use.
The heat pad/bag can be used to relieve pains such as Backache, Arthritis, discomfort in the joints and muscles, hypothermia, sprains, and even cramps. It is a good product because of its topnotch quality and warranty that comes with it directly showing its durability.
- Automatic switch (on and off)
- 5 to 10 minutes heat up time
- Special gel-filled pouch
- Portable body and rechargeable
- Heat pad can be used for as long as 3 hours to relieve all kinds of pain
- Requires little amount of electricity
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- Effective to use in cold conditions
- Requires maximum maintenance
- Heat time may be too long
9. Thermocare Heating Gel Pad – Best for Muscle Fatigue
This is a product from Thermostat industries which has been designed for absolute comfort. The gel pad relieves all kinds of pain and restores one to total complete health after use. The heat pad has heated time of 7 to 10 minutes signaled by an indicator (red light) and supported by an automatic on and off feature. Once it is charged or heated, it can stay for as long as 1 to 2 hours.
However, the product requires proper maintenance because it is made of soft material that ensures smooth feel on the skin. As designed with advanced technology, it is a better version of a traditional hot water bag that can be used to alleviate ailments such as soreness of muscle and an increase in blood flow all around the body. Also, it is an ideal choice in cold unfavorable condition.
Lastly, it is portable and very easy to use; one doesn’t need a manual on how it works before it is put to use.
- 7 to 10 minutes heat up time
- Automatic switch (on and off)
- Heat use time between 60 to 120 minutes
- Very portable and safe to use
- An ideal choice for cold weather
- Relieves all kinds of pain especially those from the muscle
- Soft design and material
- Heat up time is long and Can only be used within 1 to 2 hours
- Requires proper maintenance and care.
10. Vissco Orthopedic Electric Heating Belt Pad PC1009 – Best Comfortable
This is by far, the most expensive heat pad you will ever find in this review article. It consists of an electric belt which can be placed on any part of the body and it will hold well. With an electronic controller by the side of the pad, heat can be regulated into three modes.
The body is made of a soft material that enhances a smooth feel on the skin rather than a sticky one which is another form of comfort to the user. No doubt, a speedy recovery is feasible after moderate use and it can rejuvenate user back to a good state of health.
Lastly, some ailments it works perfectly on aches, discomforts, sore muscles, and stiff joints, injuries, minor inflammations, etc. Orthopedic ailments are not left out for treatment with the aid of this heat pad. It is a great quality product that has a lot to offer when used to its full potential.
- Orthopedic support
- The 3 modes are adjustable temperatures which will suit your skin and heal up whatever ailment you are suffering from.
- Controller side switch
- Treats all kinds of pain and ailment effective
- Versatile and can be used anywhere
- The heat pad has a dual thermostat with six heating coils which enhances safety
- Features such as a thermostat, controller improve safety
- Very expensive
- Maintenance is high.
Frequently Asked Questions
Many times, we see questions on the use of heating pads and how active people expect them to be. From a wide survey on the study and use of heating pads, below are frequently asked questions on heating pads and perfect answers to them;
1. How long should you apply the heating pad?
It is ideal to apply the heating pad for about 20 minutes for best results.
2. What happens if you leave the heating pad on for too long?
It is possible to sustain the burn which arises due to leaving the heating pad on for too long than what is recommended.
3. What is the mode of operation of any heating pad?
It is no news that heating pads are mostly placed directly on the skin to enhance sensory receptors of the skin and creating a form of delusional response of the pain felt on an affected area. The brain triggers this delusional response; hence, gives a form of relief after some time.
Also, there is another thing heat does: it enhances the elasticity of the tissues of the muscle creating a release in tension and increasing blood circulation all around the body. The blood flow allows beneficial nutrients to be brought to the affected region, ensuring proper repair of worn-out tissues and reducing pain.
4. What makes infrared heat pads different from electric heat pads?
While the former (infrared heat pads) penetrates deep into the tissue, touching the bones and cells, the latter (electric heat pads) only penetrates the skin and heat does all the tissue repair work. Although both allow an increase in blood flow, injuries heal faster in infrared heat pads than electric heat pads.
However, people don’t necessarily have to use infra-red heat pads for small injuries, and its use only depends on the degree of injury or pain.
5. What is the maximum temperature of a heating pad?
Although there are different types of heating pad, it is still possible to get the maximum temperature a pad can give. However, some factors ultimately determine the limit of a heating pad, and these are; a size of the pad, style of pad, a brand of heating pad and so on. Most often, the common range of temperatures is between 6 degrees to 70degrees for dry pads while it gets to 79degrees at the hottest and the hottest for moist pads is 80 degrees
6. How effective is it for back pain?
Heating pads are great for back pain, and it requires the right type of product having available features. There are heating pads with a belt which is great for back pain; however, it is important to get a diagnosis of what could cause back pain before making a move.
The back pain could be as a result of a debilitating sickness that would require proper medical attention. Treatment with heat therapy is a great one as long as you have successfully discovered the point of impact and cause of pain.
7. Do heating pads work for menstrual cramps?
One recent discovery is that heating pads work perfectly for menstrual cramps and this is a solution for women who constantly suffer from them. It works in such a way that the heat relaxes the contracting muscles causing cramps and provides an instantaneous relief.
8. What is the effect of heating pads on arthritis?
There are two types of arthritis, i.e., the benign and malignant. For benign arthritis that may affect the hand, heating pads would relax the muscle and alleviate pain, but for malignant arthritis that comes with inflammation, medical attention is required before you proceed with any treatment.
9. Can a pregnant woman use heating pads?
There is no definite answer to this because there are different opinions on the use of heating pads while being pregnant. However, there is a great deal of good when you use them in the early stages of pregnancy, while in the last stages, the temperature should be moderate while being used for a short time. Ensure you consult medical opinions before you proceed to avoid complications.
10. What can heating pads do to swelling?
In the case of swelling, applying heat wouldn’t help at all because you are enhancing more blood flow to the affected region. The muscle tissue is bleeding, hence, what you need is cold pressure that will repair the tissues.
11. Do people sleep on heating pads?
Some heating pads have been designed with features that allow you to make use of them while being asleep; however, it is not advisable for some types because health hazards could result. Continuous application of heat over some time could burn your skin, and there is a higher risk of the heat pad catching fire in little time.
12. Who shouldn’t use heating pads?
There are exceptions to people who can use heating pads, and they are;
- Children under the ages of 8
- People with body sensitivity issues
- People with allergies
- People under the influence of drugs and alcohol
From the review above, we have seen what heating pads are and how they can improve our lives and day-to-day activities. Going further, the different types of heating pad were explained about how they work and advantages of using them. If there are questions yet left unanswered before now, the frequently asked questions section will give convincing answers.
We reviewed the best heating products available on the market and in the top 10, we have classified them into ranges by their prices
- For the high range, we picked Vissco Orthopedic Electric Heating Pad because it has incredible features considers all factors required.
- For the mid-range, we picked HK Villa Electrothermal Hot water bag because it is a good value for money
- For the low range, we picked HEJ Kawachi Electric Rechargeable Heating Pad because it comes at a low price but will a topnotch quality
In conclusion, ensure you choose any of those listed above and ensure it works for the kind of ailment you are suffering from. If there is no visible improvement after a while, it is important that you seek medical attention.