The Best Electric Blanket
A good electric blanket will get rid of the chill on a cold night. It will also help to alleviate muscle aches, joint aches and also reduces dust mites and other allergy triggers in your mattress.
With the current rising cost of heating, more and more people are opting to use an electric blanket so they can be able to save on the energy cost. This is not a blanket that requires to be on all night long, all you need is to ensure that your bed is warm enough before getting in, and then you can switch it off.
A heated blanket also helps to make your bed extra cozy. This will help you sleep comfortably and you get sleep quick, especially when it is very cold and probably raining outside. Most people even use them to sit on their couches and catch up on their reading as they warm up. These are available in different sizes like for single bed or king size electric blanket.
If you are looking to buy an electric blanket for your home, then we have listed everything you require to know before making a purchase like the benefits of using, working of heat blanket electric, a detailed buying guide, FAQ’s and top 10 product recommendations.
Top 10 Best Electric Blanket
Our Top Pick
Best for single bed
Ideal for Back and Leg Muscles
Best for a cozy night
Best for Sore and Stiff Backs
Best for Arthritis and Old-age Pain
Best for a Double Bed Warmer
Best for Insomnia
7 heat settings
Best for a Super King-Sized Bed
Benefits of an electric blanket
It is cheaper compared to central heating
These blankets are extremely efficient, and they are designed to keep you warm at less the cost. This is because, you only need enough energy to keep you and your bed warm, rather than keeping the entire house heated.
If you get a big enough blanket to fit on your bed, or one that can fit your entire family, you can end up keeping everyone nice and warm at a very low cost.
In order to increase your savings, get one that is thick and plush, you may end up spending a little more than expected but, it is more than worth it.
It helps with pain relief, arthritis and sciatica:
Heat has natural healing power, and when you apply it to specific areas of your body, it can give you lasting relief from this pain. People who suffer from arthritis have been known to benefit greatly from a heated blanket on their beds.
This is what happens: The heat receptors in your body are normally activated by the electric blanket, and they then block out the pain signals that are normally sent to the brain. As a result, any pain you may have been feeling is quickly eliminated.The heat will also help increase the circulation in your body, and this provides oxygen to all the needed areas, thus, you end up feeling more energized and flexible.
When you use an electric blanket, your entire body feels very cozy, and it also helps you to relax and gives you that contented feeling. You will also not wake up stiff in the morning.
People who suffer from chronic pain conditions such as sciatica can also benefit greatly from using a heated blanket every night.
It helps you to sleep much better
There are basically 5 stages of sleep. Your body normally cycles through these stages during the night. If at any stage your sleep is disturbed by e.g. a sudden temperature change, this will affect you and you may end up being pulled from some deep sleep.
It will set your sleep schedule for you
We all have what is called a circadian rhythm in our bodies, and this is what tells us when to sleep and when to wake up.It is normally influenced by many different things such as diet, activities, light, darkness and even temperatures. If you keep changing your temperature especially at night, this may affect your circadian rhythm.
As a result, you may end up struggling to fall asleep at the right time.
Now, having a good electric blanket will ensure you are comfortable and that you maintain a consistent temperature at night, which will help you maintain a healthy sleep schedule because regardless of what the temperature is outside, your bed is always nice, warm and cozy.
It is scientifically proven to help improve your mood
Your body naturally uses plenty of energy to keep you warm on a cold day. With an electric blanket, it doesn’t need to do any work at all. The brain will receive good signals from your body that you do not need to work and as a result, you start to feel happy.
Another reason is that heat is a form of massage therapy, and any time you expose your body to pressure, it releases endorphins or what is called “the feel-good hormones,” and these help your body to feel naturally happy and relaxed.
Helps to warm your bed in advance:
When it is very cold and the temperatures are well in the negative, the last thing you need is to climb into a super cold bed. This actually feels so bad that you may end up sleepless all night long.
A good electric blanket will come with some warm settings which you can use to set it up in advance before going to bed in order to ensure that by the time you need to sleep, your bed is very warm and inviting. In most cases, you will fall asleep immediately.
In most cases whenever 2 people are in bed together, one is usually warmer than the other. An electric blanket comes with dual control that enables you to set your own comfort levels.You do not share this, and each person receives heat from their end that is different from the other person.
Dust mites and allergies reduction:
Mites naturally love humidity. The moisture in your mattress normally contains skin cells, and hair that you shed from your body. This is a perfect breeding spot for mites and other parasites that are found on mattresses.
Dust mites, on the other hand, do trigger asthmatic attacks and other allergic conditions.
According to research, electric blankets help to reduce dust mites by up to 50% through the principle of heat reduction.
Sinuses are normally caused by cold temperatures. Most people are also known to experience these symptoms mostly at night while they are sleeping, whereby the sneeze a lot. A good electric blanket will help to increase the temperatures in bed and keep you very warm, and hence you will not suffer from sinuses.
How do they work?
Just like an electric heating pad, these blankets work by use of an insulated wire or through a heating element that is normally inserted into the blanket and provides heat when it is plugged into a power outlet.
They have a temperature control that is located between the blanket and the electrical outlet. This is what manages the amount of current entering the blanket’s heating elements.
Some modern electric blankets make use of carbon fiber elements that are less bulky and also less conspicuous compared to the normal heating wires. This carbon is normally used as the main heating element. This is available in the high-end products mostly.
You can also choose to purchase blankets that come with rheostats which are used to manage body heat and the blanket’s temperature. This ensures a very comfortable experience with the blanket at all times.
Buying Guide For Best Electric Blankets
When looking for an electric blanket, you need to be aware of what to expect and what to look out for. Being more informed makes it easy for you to choose the best blanket there is in the market. Now, the factors that you should consider are;
Electric blankets normally come with some adjustable settings for the heat. This means that you can be able to adjust the settings as per your needs and desires. There is usually a wide range of settings to choose from.
Some advanced models, however, give you advanced settings or pre-programmed settings that allow you to simply press a button and you are good to go.
Choose a blanket that offers you both types, settings you can choose for yourself and those that are pre-programmed in order to be able to customize the electric blanket to your exact requirements.
The blanket comes with very specific and precise instructions on safety and care.
In order to clean the blanket, you need to remove all the plug-in controls and the remaining fabric of blanket can then be machine washed or washed in the way that has been specified by the manufacturer in the manual.
Some come with strict instructions not to wash, so be on the lookout for that.
Size of the blanket:
The size of the blanket matters a lot, because it determines whether the blanket will fit you and your bed or not.
Electric blankets are available in different sizes and of course, each size has its own cost. Generally, the bigger the blanket, the more expensive it will be.
Choosing a big blanket also comes with many advantages, such as dual temperature controls for the different ends, and also, this is a blanket that can comfortably fit many people at the same time, so you would be saving a lot of money on energy cost during the cold seasons.
Dual temperature control:
This is a great feature to have in the electric blanket because it gives you the freedom to choose your own unique settings, especially when sharing with someone else. You do not share the heat settings as each person sets their own.
If you are going to be sharing the blanket, this is a good feature to look out for in an electric blanket.
A good quality electric appliance always comes with a warranty. This shows that the manufacturer stands by their product and they reassure you that it does not fail. Some even go further and offer a money back guarantee and they are mostly the best.
Ensure to find a blanket that will good with a good warranty.
The blankets come in 2 varieties when it comes to voltage. Regular voltage and low voltage. Both are completely safe of course, but the low voltage blankets are known to be safer and they do not drain your electricity as much. They, however, take too long to heat up.
10 Best Electric Blanket
1. Cozyland Polyester Single Electric Bed Warmer – Our Top Pick
This excellent and beautifully designed electric blanket from Cozy land comes highly recommended. The elegant green will also work great with your bedroom décor and leave it looking sleek, modern and amazing.
- Doctor recommended – It comes highly recommended from warm land, to offer you warmth on those very cold winter nights. You can use it on your bed or on the couch when relaxing and take away the cold in your home.
- Heat therapy: The beauty of an electric blanket is that it; It is not only used to warm you up, it also offers heat therapy, but that is also very beneficial for your sore legs and painful back. Every morning you wake up, you will feel more relaxed and rejuvenated, just like someone who had a long massage.
- Comfortable sleep – This blanket will ensure you are warm and cozy all night long. It will help you experience a very comfortable sleep that is temperature controlled.
- Better sleep patterns – This blanket will also help with your sleep schedule, because whenever you get into your warm and inviting bed, it will make you sleep immediately, and hence you can be able to control the time you sleep and wake up with this bed.
- Ensure to follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions such as DO NOT wash.
- Made of polyester: It is made of a high-quality polyester material that is warm, soft and cushy.
- 100% shock proof and also 100% waterproof. This means that it has some shock absorbers in case of overheating, and water does not destroy or affect the blanket in any way.
- Easy to use.
- Waterproof and shock proof
- Helps with your sleep patterns.
- Helps to alleviate pain in your body.
- 5-year warranty.
- Protected from overheating
- Takes a while to warm up.
- Quality of the power controller is not up to the mark.
2. Warmzzz Electric Blanket for Single Bed – Best for single bed
This is an excellent electric blanket from Warmzzz that offers you great warmth especially at night during the cold seasons. It is shockproof and ideal for a single bed setting.
Important points to note about this blanket:
- This blanket is not an over the bed kind of blanket, so, do not use it as so. It should only be placed under the bedsheet and you should NEVER cover yourself using it.
- Ensure to unfold it completely before using it. DO NOT connect it to the power source when still folded because of these forms some hot spots that are not very safe.
- DO NOT leave it unattended with children, the elderly or the disabled.
- DO NOT mess with the fabric regarding the seams or even pierce it with a needle as this will affect its performance.
- DO NOT turn the power on if the blanket is wet.
- Connect it to the right AC unit and the right Voltage power supply only.
- DO NOT use it with pets.
Here’s how to use it:
- When you receive the blanket, ensure to first read the manufacturer’s instructional manual carefully before attempting to use it.
- Unfold the mattress carefully and spread it over your mattress very gently.
- You will find the control unit near the head of the blanket. It is within your reach at all times.
- Cover the blanket completely with a bedsheet and do not leave any part exposed or uncovered.
- Connect it to the power source and for a few minutes, wait for it to heat up to the highest heat setting to test its working.
- You can either let it be powered throughout the night or wait for your bed to be warm and then put it off.
- Use: This electric blanket is ideal for use under your bed sheet as a bed warmer. Place it after the mattress and cover it with the bed sheet for excellent results.
- Heat settings: It comes with 2 heat settings, a high and a low setting – These are perfect for when you want to control the blanket. When it is not very cold or when the bed is already warm enough, you can be able to put the low heat setting and when it is very cold and probably snowing outside, then you can be able to use the high heat setting.
- Material: It is made of polyester. This is one of the most common materials used in these blankets because it is soft, a good conductor of electricity and long-lasting.
- Overheat protection: One of the biggest concerns when it comes to electric blankets is the possibility of overheating. With this feature, the blanket automatically switches itself off to ensure you do not get burnt or get too hot at night.
- Easy to use.
- Comes with an overheating control.
- It is made of polyester which is good quality material.
- It is reasonably priced.
- It is only ideal for a single bed.
3. Odessey Product 75×150 cm Electric Blanket, Single Bed – Ideal for Back and Leg Muscles
This woolen electric blanket from Odessey will definitely transform your cold nights into warm and cozy, and offers you more than you had bargained for at a very reasonable price.
- Saves electricity cost: According to Odessey, this electric blanket will help you save up to 95% of your electricity cost. It is also perfect for people who suffer from arthritis and joint pains due to old age as it helps with the pain.
- Teflon coating: It is coated with Teflon material in the wiring, and this is very important as it acts as a protection against overheating.
- 3 heating modes: These are off, Low and high. These will help you to control the blanket. Choose the one that is most ideal for your nights.
- Heat therapy: The heat produced by the machine helps to massage your body, and offer relief from back and leg pains. It also radiates some good heat that can help to induce your sleep effectively every night.
- Water proof – It is 100% water proof, meaning it cannot be affected by heat and also it is 100% shockproof meaning you are protected with this blanket.
- Recommended by doctors – This blanket is recommended by most doctors as it offers lasting relief from back pains and soreness in the body. It also helps you to sleep cozy all night long.
- It comes recommended by doctors.
- Helps with your back and let pains.
- Heat therapy is very helpful.
- Has 3 heating modes for great control.
- Has overheating control.
- Reasonably priced.
- No negative point about the product by users.
4. Home Lovers Single Bed Electric Bed Warmer– Best for a cozy night
This comes in a beautiful maroon color that is perfect for those cold winter nights. It is well made, and designed to not only offer comfort on a cold night, but also to enhance the look of your bedroom because of its elegant design.
- Easy to use: It is very easy to use, and requires you to only connect it to a power outlet and you are good to go.
- Easy to clean: Cleaning this blanket is very easy. All you need to do is remove the power cord, then put it in the washing machine. This also makes it very easy to maintain.
- Material – It is made of polyester which is always a good idea, because this is a good conductor of electricity and it is also durable and long-lasting. Perfect for the whole family.
- Size – This blanket is ideal for single person use. It is also for a single bed.
- Use: You can be able to use it under your sheets and also above your bed.
- Overheat control: It comes with an overheating control that ensures that you do not suffer any burns at night as a result of overheating. You can therefore sleep easy knowing that the blanket is of good quality and it will not harm you.
- Easy to use.
- Beautiful color and design.
- Easy to clean.
- Made of high-quality material.
- Reasonably priced.
- Can only be used on small/single beds.
5. Genius Homes Premium Shock Proof and Heating Electric Single Bed Warmer – Best for Sore and Stiff Backs
This electric blanket is one of the best you are going to find in the market. It is shock proof and waterproof and offers much more than you bargained for.
- Heat feature: This is perhaps one of the main reasons why people buy electric blankets. For the heat feature. This is extremely therapeutic and can be used to help with problems such as back and leg pains which are very common. Also, for people who suffer from arthritis, this can provide better management of the condition.
- Safety feature: Please note that this is designed for use as a bed warmer only. It is not an over blanket and should also not be used with pets. Also, do not leave it unattended with kids or the elderly or the disabled as it may not be too safe.
- 3- heat settings – It comes with a high, low and off heat settings in order to give you maximum control as you use the blanket.
- Helps to induce a restful sleep – The blanket radiates heat from below the surface, which ensures that your bed is nice and warm, and as a result you end up feeling very sleepy and happy as you sleep.
- It is well protected against overheating with the auto cut off feature and water.
- Doctor recommended – It comes recommended by doctors, so, you can be able to rely on it 100%.
- Easy to use.
- Helps to alleviate pain -back, let and arthritis pain.
- Shock proof and also waterproof.
- Perfect at inducing sleep.
- Available in single and double sizes
- Takes a lot of time to heat up.
6. Pindia Double Bed Heating Electric Blanket – Best for Arthritis and Old-age Pain
This is one of the most beautiful blankets you will ever find. It comes in a beautiful blue color and has got 2 controllers of polar fleece for maximum efficiency.
- Heat therapy – For people who suffer from arthritis and other types of old age-related pains, this blanket works great, because it provides heat to your entire body, and as a ,result it helps to alleviate this pain in the joints.
- Under bed warmer – This blanket is ideal for use as an underbed warmer. What this means is that you should put it on your bed, after the mattress. You cannot use it in the living room to feel warm because this is not recommended. You should also ensure to cover it up with a bedsheet before getting into the bed to sleep.
- Material – It is made of the high-quality polar fleece material. This has an excellent soft feeling and also the finishing is perfect. This material is also lightweight, easy to clean and anti-slip.
- Helps with energy bills – This is a very efficient and low-cost blanket, because its main purpose is to warm your bed. Once the bed is warm, you can disconnect the blanket to save on the electricity bills.
- Alleviates respiratory problems – The use of heaters and heat pillars is not always ideal as it increases the moisture in your home and this leads to respiratory problems. With the electric blanket, you are safe from such problems.
- Overheat protected – It has an auto shut off feature that ensures the blanket goes off incase of overheating. This is perfect because you can sleep comfortably knowing that you are safe all night long.
- Temperature control – It has 3 temperature control features that will allow you the freedom to choose the one you want and the one that is best suited for your night.
- Easy to use.
- Beautiful and elegant.
- Overheat protected.
- 3 temperature controls.
- Helps to alleviate back pain.
- Ideal for old people who suffer from arthritis.
- You will have to wait a while for it to heat up.
- Only ideal for a double bed.
7. Yatin International FurniShing Shock Proof and Heating Electric – Best for a Double Bed Warmer
Yatin International is a company that provides high-quality products that are highly dependable, and this electric blanket is no exception. It is made of the best products and offers you more than you could have bargained for.
- Size – This blanket is perfect for a double bed, and can be used comfortably by more than 2 people at the same time as it is big enough.
- Bed warmer – It should never be used as an over blanket. It is designed to be used as a bed warmer, which means that you should spread it in your bed after the mattress. Also, DO NOT use it in the living room or near pets. In addition, do not hang it over the door or leave it unattended with children, the elderly or even mentally disabled people as it can be dangerous.
It is 100% Shockproof and also 100% water proof, which means that this is a safe product to use in your home.
- Certified – It has been accurately certified by all the necessary bodies and it meets all of their requirements. This is a blanket you can use at any time without any worries.
- Ease of use.
- Water proof and shock proof.
- It offers heat therapy at night and is ideal for alleviating bak and leg pains especially in the elderly.
- Comes with many heat settings for maximum control.
- Made of polyester.
- It can only be used as a bedwarmer and not a throw blanket.
8. Comfort Wool Single Bed Electric Blanket – Best for Insomnia
If you love beautiful things, then, this purple electric blanket is the right product for you. Made elegantly and stylishly, it will not only help in improving the décor in your bed, but also help with back and shoulder pains.
- Heat therapy – This is a blanket that will keep you warm at night, and also heat up your body. This heating helps with better blood circulation, alleviates pain and also improves your health status. For people that have constant back pain when they get up in the morning, this can really help.
- 2 heat settings – It has both high and low settings, which you can use when temperatures are both high and low.
- Safety feature – Do not wash the blanket. Do not use when folded either as this is not safe. Also, switch it off before getting into bed.
- Induces deep sleep – With this blanket, you can sleep a very deep sleep since your bed will forever be nice and warm.
- Helps to alleviate back pain.
- Used as an under warmer.
- Has an overheat protector.
- Perfect for control of arthritis and other body pains.
- Offers heat therapy.
- Does not have the auto off feature to prevent over heating.
9. Electric Heating Under Blanket (MADE IN KOREA) – 7 heat settings
This is an excellent product that will ensure that your winter nights are nice, warm and cozy. It is also a heater under blanket that is hand washable. That makes it extremely convenient for everyday use.
- Beautiful design – The mattress warmer is very beautiful and will enhance the look of any bed you use it on. It really doesn’t hurt to have a beautiful bed.
- Easy to wash – This electric blanket can both be hand washed and machine washed – this is perfect as it keeps it hygienic for use every day.
- Advanced features – It comes with a number of features that make it ideal for use in your home. It has a non-hazardous power saving, and on/off switch, and overheating control. All of these make it easy for you to sleep soundly as the blanket is very safe.
- Easy to use – It is very easy to use, and only requires you to set it up and switch it on.
- 7 – heat settings – Now this is just perfect, most machines come with just 2 or 3 heat settings, but this electric blanket from temperate has 7 heat settings that you can choose from for maximum control. No wonder the price is much higher.You definitely find value for your money.
- Extra layers – It has many extra layers of micro fiber for excellent warmth. It offers you warmth at all times and enables you to sleep soundly all night long.
- Heat therapy – In addition to warmth, it offers heat therapy that ensures you sleep soundly all night long, and helps to alleviate any pains you may be experiencing in your body.
- Easy to use.
- Easy to clean – it is both machine and hand washable.
- Has 7 heat settings.
- Comes with extra layers of fiber for maximum warmth.
- Offer heat therapy.
- Helps alleviate back and shoulder pains.
- The price is very high.
10. LIVIVO Deluxe Electric Under Blanket – Best for a Super King-Sized Bed
If you want to indulge in a little luxury as you sleep, then, this LIVIVO dual LED controlled blanket for a king-sized bed is the perfect bed time accessory for you.
- Design: The blanket is very well designed and it is beautiful to look at. It comes in a great color too. The cream color goes with any room in your home, so, you will never clash with this incredible blanket.
- 3-heat settings – These help you with better control. With this blanket, you can be able to choose the heat setting you want for maximum satisfaction, especially at night.
- Quick heat up time – It offers you a quicker heat up time compared to the other types of blankets in this category.
- Dual zone temperature control – This is one of the best features when it comes to this blanket. Because it is too big, you can be able to control the temperature when 2 people are using it. It also means that you do not have to share the same temperature as each is allows to have their own settings.
- Timer function – Another great feature is the fact that you can set it up in advance.It allows between 1-8 hours of advanced settings. In this way, you can make the blanket start warming your bed even when at work, and when you get home, you find your bed nice and warm.
- Comfort – There is nothing else that this blanket is made for except comfort. It is made of an ultra-soft and durable extra warm polyester material that will ensure your bed is snuggly and cozy. You can sleep for so long in your bed, so ensure to have an alarm set up.
- Advanced technology – It is made using the most advanced standards in the heated blankets industry and it ensures that you are always safe and protected with its overheating feature.
- It helps alleviate pain in your body through the heating therapy.
- It has the dual control temperature.
- It comes with the timer function.
- It is very comfortable.
- Made using the highest technologies.
- It is easy to use.
- This is a very expensive blanket, but it is definitely worth the price.
- It is only ideal for a king-sized bed.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is the electric blanket really safe?
Even when the blanket is working the way it should, sometimes, it can get quite hot for the user. It is for this very reason that electric blankets are recommended for use by some specific people and not by everyone.
2. How do I take care of my electric blanket?
When dealing with any heating device, it is always important to take proper care and follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions.
Now, first of all, you are not supposed to fold the blanket at all. Folding creates hot spots. It is recommended that you place the blanket on your bed and also do not put any pillows or any sheets on top of it.
For cleaning, simply follow the instructions given.
The key to ensuring your blanket lasts a long period of time and serves you very well is to ensure that you be sensitive with it and ensure to strictly adhere to all the instructions given with the manual as this will safeguard it.
3. How does the electric blanket work?
It uses electricity. This electricity normally heats up the insulated wires that have been put in the blanket and once they heat up the fabric surrounding the blanket quickly begins to make your body feel warm as a result of the electric current.
4. Will it raise my electric bill?
An electric blanket will actually do the opposite. It will significantly save you when it comes to electricity cost. This is because, with an electric blanket, you do not necessarily need to have the heaters on in your home when it’s cold.
You can simply use the blanket to keep you warm and you cannot compare the cost of heating your whole home to heating an electric blanket.
Having and electric blanket saves you energy cost.
In fact, some of these blankets made of plush materials such as microfleece do not even need to be connected to a power outlet for them to provide warmth in your body. The wires inside the blanket are flexible and thin, and they offer comfort and warmth.
5. Can the heat affect my sleep?
No. it will make you sleep more soundly and more comfortably. This is because electric blankets come with a temperature control that allows you to take it a little lower in case it is too much.
Most people however use these blankets to just warm their beds before they sleep, and then they turn it off. This is a good way of ensuring that the blanket works only when needed and that it doesn’t end up overheating your bed and making it uncomfortable for you to sleep.
Nothing feels as great as a nice, warm and comfortable cozy bed on a cold winter night. This also goes a long way in ensuring you are not sick.
Investing in a good quality electric blanket is a great idea because it will help warm up your bed and also help with a reduction in your energy bills. The other good thing with these blankets is that they come with the heat technology that is very beneficial in alleviating pain in the muscles.
We highly recommend that you get yourself one of the amazing blankets we have outlined above. Our picks: Cozyland Polyester Single Electric Bed Warmer, Warmzzz Electric Blanket for Single Bed and Pindia Double Bed Heating Electric Blanket.