Best Microwave Oven Utensils
The microwave oven has recently gained momentum in the Indian household. It can be used for reheating food, and also for rapid heating of otherwise slowly prepared food items.
For those who do not know how to cook, microwave ovens are a lifesaver. Many food items in the market are available which are ready to make and can be prepared in minutes.
But this food available in cans and plastic wraps cannot be directly reheated in the oven as the plastic used may not be oven friendly and it also may lead to harming the food.
To avoid such danger happening microwave cooking accessories such as microwave bowls and utensils is used. They are oven friendly, and food can be cooked without compromising the nutrition value of food and making it harmful to eat.
Microwave radiation in the electromagnetic spectrum helps to reheat and cook food in the oven.
Due to these radiations, not all utensils are considered microwave safe; regular cooking ware is not always reliable and durable to use in the oven.
So here we provide you with a Buyers guide for utensils which are safe and specifically designed to use in a microwave oven and a list of Top Microwave-safe utensils and FAQ’s that will make it easy for you to choose from.
Top 9 Best Utensils for Microwave Oven
Microwave Oven Utensils Buyer’s guide
The bowls or containers should have a capacity sufficient to store your food for heating purposes. You can go for a set having different capacities ranging between 500-1500 ml, or you can choose to go for a set with a smaller capacity of 300 ml. Choose an option based on your needs.
Going for a microwave utensil that comes with a seal is beneficial so that you can always cover the food after heating to keep it safe and protected. The seal should be made using excellent quality material and should be airtight, waterproof, and spill proof.
It must be specified in the description if the vessel is microwave safe.
If it’s not mentioned, you must look for a microwave symbol on the bottom of the vessel to verify that it is safe to use in the oven.
If no specification is mentioned, avoid using such utensils.
We can use any microwave-safe plastic container or mug which has a microwave safe symbol embossed on it.
Do not use any material which is not oven safe; this may cause damage to the stove, and the heating process may lead to the non-oven friendly product to melt or burn.
The reach of oven safe utensils available in the Indian market has widened, there is a large variety of product available in different materials which are easy to work with and stylish enough not to make it look like they are specifically made for cooking.
Here are a few different products available in various material.
Any glass vessel can be used in the oven except for those with silver and golden lining. They should not be used as they may create a spark.
Glass vessel should not be used in the oven after directly taking it out from the refrigerator as it may crack.
It is suggested to use glassware in the oven with high precautions as it may lead to an electrical mishap in the kitchen, causing harm to surroundings.
Not all plastic products available are oven friendly; there are certain companies who produce which are oven friendly as well as for regular purpose.
Plastic containers found in your kitchen can also be used in the oven only if it has a microwave-safe symbol on it. Otherwise, there are chances of plastic melting at a higher temperature in the oven which may ruin the food as well as oven and there might be a foul smell.
It’s suggested checking with the seller or the instruction manual available with the utensil. Soft material plastic or any container with a metallic lining should not be used.
Debates are going on whether to use ceramic in the oven; many experts do not accept the usage of ceramic in the oven as it may get heated quickly and cause a kitchen mishap.
Before using a ceramic product, make sure there is no silver, metallic gold metallic lining.
To assure the ceramic product is oven friendly take a cup of cold water and put in a corner along with the ceramic plate in another corner of the oven, let it heat for a minute or so, and if the plate gets hot too quickly, it should not be used in the oven.
Do not use fine china in the oven or even the user manual says its oven friendly use the water test before actually using the utensil.
Silicone bakeware is considered to be more non-stick than any other traditional bakeware, which makes them easy to use.
Silicone should be used preferably at low temperatures rather than high because there is no final verdict on the safety of it in the oven.
Silicone bake pans and molds are easy to clean and prevent sticking while baking. Make sure to use high-quality silicone which does not contain fillers or dangerous additives. Some people find silicone to be more safe than plastic; it depends on the customers choice and preference.
1. Kinship India Microwave Safe Lunch Containers
The Kinship India Microwave Safe lunch containers come in a set of 6 airtight stainless steel bowls that manage to heat your food conveniently without any compromise on its safety. The exterior is made of Polypropylene and is red, making it a beautiful set of microwave oven safe containers to have in your kitchen. They have a decent capacity of 300 ml each allowing you to heat a sufficient quantity of food at a time.
- Come in a set of 6 airtight and leak-proof bowls.
- Dimension of each container: 11 X 11 X 6 cm.
- The capacity of each container is 300 ml approximately.
- The interior is made of stainless steel while the exterior is made of Polypropylene.
- The exterior is heated first followed by the interior.
- Color: red.
- The lids are spill-proof.
- Ensures the safety of your food.
- Ideal for reheating food purposes in the microwave without a lid.
- A user complained that they found cracks after a few months of use.
- Did not heat food uniformly.
2. Treo Borosilicate Microwave Safe Mixing Glass Bowl
The Treo Microwave oven Mixing bowls are made using high-quality Borosilicate glass that is non-porous and scratch resistant, making it a durable option to consider. The set of 3 mixing bowls differ in their size and dimensions to cater to the different requirements of its users. Moreover, these bowls come with a premium finish that makes it a stylish set of dishwasher and microwave oven safe bowls to have in your kitchen.
- Comes in a set of 3 microwave oven safe bowls.
- These bowls are round and are made of Borosilicate glass.
- The capacity of the bowls is 500 ml, 1000 ml, and 1500 ml respectively.
- Dimensions: 12.5 X 7 cm, 16 X 8 cm and 17 X 10.3 cm respectively.
- The bowls are transparent.
- Made using high-quality glass and have a premium finish.
- Microwave oven and dishwasher safe.
- Non-porous and scratch resistant.
- Users have complained about manufacturing defects and quality.
3. Tupperware Crystal Wave Generation 2
Tupperware has been ruling the market for quite a long time. It is highly known for the home products line, which includes plastic container used to store food.
It has a wide range of products which also includes microwave-safe plastic containers which come quite handy.
It’s preferable for those who use the oven regularly and would not like to spend on a separate set of utensils.
It is a very famous brand and also provides lunchboxes, water bottles, and containers which are of different shapes and sizes, making it different from its other products.
- It’s microwave and refrigerator safe
- Designed using the latest injection molding technology enhancing its durability and resilience
- Container is lightweight
- Item weight-222g
- Material-plastic, Colour-green
- Easy and lightweight to carry around
- It’s appealing and comes in different shapes, color, and sizes
- Can be used as tiffin box due to the way product is designed
- It has a steam vent which makes a hissing noise when food is cooked
- The container is made of food grade plastic
- The steam vent is not detachable and creates a problem while cleaning
4. Borosil Round Casserole
The company is one of the largest glassware producers in India. The company’s product includes laboratory glassware and microwavable glassware.
It is the king of microwave-safe glassware with a wide range of variety. It also assures with good durability and resilience.
It’s made of borosilicate glass which is guaranteed to withstand temperatures up to 350-degree centigrade.
Unlike any other plastic or melamine, it will not leech chemicals into your food even after repeated usage.
It can be used in a microwave oven and or electric oven but should not directly use over flames.
Usage of abrasive cleaners to ensure that glass stays scratch-free should be avoided. Also, do not use plastic lids in the microwave oven.
Allow the dish with hot food to reach room temperature before putting it in the freezer.
- It’s a microwave oven and refrigerator safe
- Will not leach chemical into food even if used repeatedly
- Product is designed elegantly to be used for serving directly
- Round casserole (1-Litre)
- Product dimension:21 x 18 x 5.7 cm ; 1.1 Kg
- Material-borosil glass, color-transparent
- Made of borosilicate glass which helps to sustain temperature
- Non-porous glass does not absorb stains or odors
- Will not turn milky or cloudy unlike soda lime glass
- It’s a bit higher in range
- Being glass, it increases the probability of breaking
5. Sivica Porcelain Square Serving
It is the largest producer of porcelain kitchenware in the market. The wide range of variety of products with a touch of modern art is very attractive.
It has a great market in porcelain products and has an array of different products which makes buying easier.
Sivica is a premium brand of white porcelain which offers a wide range of products ranging from serving sets, dinner Sets, mugs, cups, etc.
It has established its presence in the Indian market by offering a wide range of designs/shapes of porcelain products all across the country.
It not only provides the uniqueness in designs and shapes but also adds a classy image to your kitchen and makes your sumptuous dinner more elegant and stylish
- It is durable and resistant
- Wide variety of range
- It has one serving bowl and one lid
- Product dimensions:15 x 15 x 10 cm ; 399 g
- Its microwave as well as dishwasher safe
- It’s not as fragile as glassware
- It can be used for serving too because of its modern designs
- It is not budget friendly and on a much higher range
- Cannot be used as regular kitchenware
- It’s not stain-resistant
6. Yera Glassware Polo Glass Bowl with Lid
Yera is an Indian brand known for producing glassware and kitchenware. Its products come in a wide range of sizes and have proved their utility in a wide range of applications.
- It is durable
- It is lightweight and easy to carry around
- Two pieces bowl with lid,435ml
- Material- glass bowl, plastic lid
- Its microwave, dishwasher, and refrigerator safe
- It’s resistant to heat, scratch, and breakage
- It has an airtight lid to the container
- It will not etch, cloud or discolor
- Irrational use may lead to sudden breakage
- It is not fully stained and odor proof
7. Signoraware Microwave Cooker Set, 3 Litres, 7-Pieces
Signoraware aces in making microwave safe products. It has computerized designs and competitive price strategy.
Signoraware is a trusted brand, and many Indian households use products from these brands. They not only make microwave oven safe bowls and pans but also cooker, idli maker, etc.
Signoraware’s microwave safe cooker is the perfect answer for a quick meal when you are in a hurry and don’t have time to cook the traditional way.
- The company has its machines to design and develop their molds with the latest technology
- High range quality and products have been produced all over India
- 1 Cooker Body 3 ltr + 3 pieces Idli stand + 1 Stem Adjusting knob + 1 Steam Hole Socket + 1 Steam Plate + 1 Main lid + 1 Steamer Basket
- Product dimensions :23.5 x 24.2 x 18.4 cm ; 971 g
- Material- Polypropylene
- Its microwave safe and is unbreakable
- Made of virgin plastic which is food graded
- Available at a competitive price
- It’s not stained proof and odor friendly
8. Regalo Twist Microwave Safe
Twist produces microwave safe and unbreakable kitchenware products. It also has a wide range of variety and is available at an affordable price.
The products are very eye-catching due to the variety of colors available in different products. They also come in a set of 2 or 3 containers which are very useful for storage and serving and making it a complete set.
- It’s dependable and durable
- Volume capacity of containers: 500ml, 1100ml, and 2100ml, respectively.
- Variety of colors
- Set of 3 containers with the lid
- It’s microwave safe
- It’s used to reheat as well as serve at the same time
- Affordable price
- It’s not as high quality as other products available in the market
9. Princeware Fresh Ven Bowl Package Container Set
Princeware makes a wide range of microwave safe products which are available at reasonable rates.
It also has a wide range of sets of bowls and other products which can be used in the kitchen regularly too.
It has products like casserole, containers, and bowls. It comes in different sets and a variety of colors which gives the customer a wide range of option to select from.
- It’s heat resistant and durable
- 1-Piece Container (2.6 Litres), 1-Piece Container (1.6 Litres), 1-Piece Container (1.125 Litres), 1-Piece Container (525ml) and 1-Piece Container (296ml) 3
- It’s microwave safe and unbreakable
- It has a wide range of variety
- It has steam holes which help to keep food warm
- The material used to produce these products is not as food-friendly as others
- It’s not stained proof or odor friendly
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What utensils can be used in a microwave oven?
Not all utensils can be used in a microwave. Only those utensils which are marked as “Microwave Safe” are suitable for heating food in a microwave oven. Utensils having an exterior made of Polypropylene, ceramic and an interior made of stainless steel is ideal for use in a microwave oven. Borosilicate glass utensils are also microwave oven safe.
2. Can we use aluminum utensils in a microwave?
Aluminum is an insulator of heat and should be used in case of baking in an oven. You can use aluminum utensils in convection microwave ovens in the convection mode.
3. Can we use stainless steel bowls in a microwave?
You can use a utensil that has an interior made of stainless steel. The exterior, however, should be made of ceramic or polypropylene so that the exterior is heated up first. This keeps your food safe and prevents damage to your microwave oven.
The most trusted, durable, and the pocket-friendly item is Tupperware, it has multipurpose use and is affordable for the common man.
If you wish to splurge on glassware and make your dining table look more elegant, you must spend on buying Treo Borosilicate they have classy glassware with a pop of color of the lid, making it seem updated.
If you do not trust yourself around glassware and still wish to make your crockery look pretty, you should go for Sivica which is made of porcelain and which is not easily breakable but is still stylish and decent enough to make your dinner time more beautiful.
These all products are easily available on Amazon and are delivered within reasonable days. The editor goes with Tupperware as it is the most trusted and renowned for its product is not only baking utensil but also for regular kitchenwares.