Top 12 Antivirus software
Having a secure antivirus nowadays has become as important as storing valuables safely. The increasing number of cyber threats targeting businesses and consumers has compelled everyone to choose an antivirus.
Antivirus software is a computer program that is designed to prevent, detect, and bring about a total removal of malware from a computer system.
In the early days of their production, these were made to remove viruses from the computer system. However, as a result of the proliferation of various other kinds of malware in the computer, the functions of anti-virus software has extended beyond.
Antivirus software is now designed to help the computer combat overall threats to its system.
A modern antivirus software optimized for this function can go ahead to combat many threats, ranging from the browser helper objects, browser hijackers, ransomware, keyloggers, backdoor, rootkits, trojan horses, worms, malicious LSPs, dialers, fraud tool, adware and spyware.
These are just the tip of the iceberg on the various threats that the modern antivirus software can combat the computer system. Computer virus dates back to as far as 1949, however, the very first computer virus dates back to 1971, with the name “Creeper”.
Subsequently, a program (another virus) was written by Ray Tomlinson, named “Reaper”, to remove the Creeper virus.
Functionality depends on choice, and to help you make the right choice, we will go through this guide. This guide will include everything about anti-virus, advantages of using anti-virus, how to install, things to consider, frequently asked questions, and the top 12 antivirus software present in the market.
Top 12 Antivirus software
Two Way Firewall System
Protection and best performance
Ensure complete data protection
Effective protection against threats
Additional anti theft protection
Easy to use
Ensure safe web browsing
Very tough on Malware
All You Need to Know About Anti-Virus
How do antiviruses work?
There are millions of viruses and malware out there in the computer world, and all you know is that installing antivirus will do the trick and get rid of them.
This is general knowledge, but in being able to buy the right antivirus software, there is a need for you to understand the underlying principles of how they work.
This would aid in knowing the right product and software you should go for. How does antivirus work?
Computer viruses and footprints
Once you can program computer software, you can always create a virus. These viruses are simply compiled software that runs on the computer.
The simple difference between the virus and a regular computer program is that the virus is designed to crash your computer, to delete data, or even steal them.
Just like any application, compiled applications are always made of bits. Once the code does not change, the application would still collect into the same sequence of bits every time. In the computer world, this bit sequence is always referred to as a signature.
As a virus passes from one computer to another, it creates a footprint by keeping a fixed signature in its tracks. Viruses have the same bits, and as a result of this, antivirus vendors can store the sequence to recognize the virus when it is stored on your computer.
The only reason why tracking viruses might be difficult is the addition of new virus signatures to the existing ones.
When you decide to do a study on the various viruses that we have in the world, you will notice that a single virus might have different names.
The simple reason for this is that people take the existing virus, modify it to what they want, compile it, and get it distributed. Because the codes are similar for this form of virus, the variant would have a slightly different signature
Antivirus Definitions and Virus Signatures
The name of the virus is what makes it possible for the antivirus to perform its function. This is what enables it to defend your computer from malware.
Antivirus checks its database for multiple virus signatures, as well as checking executable files for these signatures.
Viruses surface daily, the more reason why antivirus vendors create definition files that you get to add to your existing antivirus software. The reason why you are being told to update your antivirus software is so that you get to add to your software’s database of virus signatures.
If you do not carry out this update, your software would be unable to recognize the new virus’s signatures, and you might end up with a troublesome malware on your computer.
However, if you allow antivirus software to run in the background on your computer, it might result in slowing down the computer. This reduction in speed is because the software is sifting through all executable files on the computer, running them against its database of software signatures.
If you are going to run software on your computer, you might need to disable the antivirus software for a moment.
If you are a gamer, you might need to turn off anti-virus software for a moment, as this can interfere.
You have control over the running of your antivirus. If you are the one that does not install executable files often, you might automate your antivirus always to run its checks at night.
However, you shouldn’t trust this too much; it is not too much if you run manual scans each week. No level of being cautious is too much when it comes to your computer software.
Other approaches to virus protection
It has been explained that the traditional method of virus protection is the recognition of signatures. This enables antivirus software to disable such programs before they launch and damage the computer.
The known virus can be eliminated with this approach, but it might be limited in handling new and evolving malware.
To this effect, there is other antivirus software that attempts to monitor computer programs and the functionalities of the computer for unusual behaviors.
Some of these unusual behaviors include sudden data usage, an attempt to access a wide swath of files on the hard drive, or if the computer is trying to connect to an unwanted site.
Newer forms of antivirus are equipped with machine learning abilities that help to monitor and determine the normal behavior of a computer or network. This would be able to limit the programs that are acting strangely.
These forms of antivirus software are designed to run across an entire commercial network, rather than on separate devices.
Antivirus software can also be included in email services; this way, it gets to scan messages for suspicious files. You should know that the easiest way to transmit viruses is to transform them via emails.
Antivirus software is also available for corporate firewall computers; this way, it can detect code that attempts to enter or exit a particular network. This is done before such malware causes any harm.
Advantages of Best Antivirus Software
If you really want your computer to have a very long life-span with you, it would be best if you get an excellent and professional antivirus for your system. Just as it has been said, there are many viruses out there, and protecting your PC and desktops should be a priority.
More than just dealing with viruses, some very good antivirus software can help you provide a firewall for the all-around security of your computer.
Below are some advantages that are having a running antivirus can afford you;
Protection from the virus
We do not need to talk anymore about this; this is the basic function of having an antivirus installed on your computer. With an antivirus, your system is protected from trojan horses, malware, and spyware.
Software virus varies in their virility, from harmless ones to those that can crash your computer in a matter of minutes. Not only would data be tampered with, but the whole system can also be rendered useless in no time.
Protecting personal information
When you hear of viruses, your mind should think of the possibility of a hacker being around the manifestation of that virus.
With the top antivirus software installed, you can be protected from prying eyes and fingers of hackers as you surf the web. This would protect critical information stored on your computers, such as passwords, credit card info, and other sensitive data.
The firewall will block any unauthorized connections towards your computer in most of the sophisticated antiviruses. You can prevent hackers from getting access to this info.
You save cost
To get the best functionality out of most antiviruses, you might need to pay. However, there is some other antivirus software that would offer the same level of protection as those with a paid subscription.
Whichever you wish to go for, it is sure that you will get to spend less on fixing computers or getting another one entirely. Antivirus would protect your computer from being destroyed by viruses. Hence, you pay less.
It might be a toll on your schedule if you have to take out time to run scans for your computer; however, you would spend a greater deal of time if your system gets infected with the virus due to lack of antivirus.
A computer liable to attacks from viruses and hackers would slow down in the early signs of being infected, taking more time for tasks to be completed.
The time you can spend on running scans would need to be doubled or even tripled to get rid of viruses. If your system is not protected, you might end up losing files, you would never be able to recover.
These, among many other reasons, are why you should get a very good antivirus software up and running on your computer.
How to Install Antivirus on Your Computer
There are a few steps you should follow if you are trying to get antivirus installed on your system.
- If your antivirus software is purchased from a retail store, you should insert the CD or DVD into the computer’s disc drive. The process for installation would start automatically; there would be a pop-up window to guide you the process of installation.
- If the antivirus software is downloaded from the internet, locate the file you downloaded. If it’s a zip file you downloaded, you should extract the file and access the installation package in it. You should search for the file named setup.exe or install.exe. Double click the file. The installation would begin immediately. An open window would guide your installation process.
- Once the window opens for any of the processes above, you should follow the instructions provided for the installation. On the window, there would be recommendations that would allow the software to function properly, and you can also accept them as they are however, if the window requires you to install toolbars for internet browsers or other useful programs meant to run on the computer. You should also uncheck all boxes, pointing to the fact that other software should be installed alongside the antivirus.
- Once the installation procedure has ended, you should close the window.
- If you made use of a CD or DVD in the installation process, you should remove it from the disk drive.
- Your software is now good to go, and ready to use.
Buying Guide for Your Antivirus Software
If you are convinced that the next good thing to do for your computer is to get antivirus software, then you have made the right decision. However, there are some tips you should have in mind when trying to pick the best antivirus software for your computer.
- Pick a software that features a high malware-detection rate: If you are going to get any antivirus, you should ensure it is one that would protect your system against about 95% of malware. However, you should make sure that this detection rate is not composed of a high rate of false positives, which are benign files that are mistakenly thought to be malware
- Go for those with paid features: Yes, you might enjoy some cool features on free software, but you would enjoy even more with the paid features. These features come especially if you are using a windows system.
- Look for a light system load: You should check and confirm how much the software would slow your system down. Test for the speed when you run it in the background or during active scans. This is very important if you are using an older or slow PC.
- Check for the ease of use of the software: For an average computer user, you might prefer the software in which you just set it up and forget about it. However, sometimes, it might be of additional benefit if you get under the hood to tweak the software to your liking. You should check if you would be able to do this quickly, with next to technical knowledge.
- Search for the email and web protection feature: The best emails are those that scan email attachments right before they are opened on your system. These antiviruses also scan web pages before you load them. These features are more common on paid versions of the various software.
12 Best Anti-virus softwares
1. Quick Heal Antivirus Pro – Our Pick
With the improved Virus scan engine, the Quick Heal Antivirus software can make your system thoroughly free without slowing it down. It features a firewall technology and cloud-based web security of Quick Heal, which shields your PC from attackers and other infected websites.
This software has a user-friendly interface, and it offers optimum protection to your PC at a pocket-friendly price. Its features make it the top antivirus software for PC.
This software offers protection against unknown malware and threats, and with an ultra-fast speed, it performs system scan in no time. This software features an advanced DNAScan technology which is now enhanced to combine behavioral and characteristic inspection and monitoring of unsafe programs.
This results in a clean, more up-to-date and accurate detection of threats.
In a bid to optimize scan time, the revamped antivirus scan does not rescan files that have not undergone any alteration from the previous scan. Once you run your web browser through the sandbox, you get to enjoy uninterrupted and secure browsing experience.
It serves as the screen between the operating system of the PC and the malicious threat to the system. It also has a USB drive support.
When the software is running on safe mode, it is impossible for unauthorized users to effect any change in the settings.
A cool feature of this software is the fact that the intelligent antivirus engine effectively detects and resolves any threat. It offers additional systems like the Antispyware, Antimalware, Anti-rootkit, silent firewall and all-around virus protection.
If you are in search of an engine to keep your computer safe, this is your best bet.
- Works with all versions of the Windows OS.
- Features a firewall that affords protection against website traffic and application that might want to have access through the network
- It features the sandbox which protects the OS from malware
- Features an indigenous quick Heal DNAScan technology for an in-depth inspection.
- It is easy to use, as it automatically detects and removes viruses, trojans, and malware from your computer.
- It keeps your device safe, secure, protected against malicious virus attacks
- It filters emails with infected links or attachment
- Blocks website infected with viruses and malware.
- It is customized to work with only India IP addresses
2. NPAV Total Security
NPAV Total Security
The NPAV Total Security is a 1-year gold edition that scans ultra fast. It cleans all complex malware. The software’s threat research lab sends an hourly update about any threat.
The company send an activation key and download link within 2 hours of order placing. You can also find it at Amazon.in/msg
- The antivirus protects against malware, ransomware, malicious cyber-attacks and wipers.
- It is compatible with Windows XP, Windows 7,8,8.1, and 10.
- The software is easy to install and use.
- Value for money product.
- N0 negative points observed so far.
3. Max Secure Software Anti Virus Plus Version 6
You would not want any type of ransomware or spyware applications to hinder your data as you need your data privacy. To maintain it, you need to have a good Antivirus software and Max Secure Software Anti Virus Plus Version 6 is a preferable option for users as it provides 1-year validity for 1PC use.
- It is a one-stop solution for total ransomware protection as it can work as an Antivirus, Antispyware, Antimalware, Antitrojan, Antikeyloggers.
- It detects and automatically removes all the malicious applications such as viruses, Trojans, malware.
- It is responsible for blocking ActiveX, includes browser helper objects and also Tracking cookies.
- State-of-the-art research labs and a dedicated team of experts are responsible for finding out new threats to your computer.
- It detects and removes malicious spyware from attacking your computer without taxing your computer’s memory.
- It also prevents malicious applications from invading your PC. This will help you maintain your data privacy. No one would be able to access your data without your knowledge.
- While the PC is idle, it automatically scans all the files for any possible threats.
- You would get free email and chat support for any support.
- This antivirus doesn’t support Apple MacBook.
4. K7 Total security – Full Security
As the world comes closer virtually, there are chances that we face a number of threats that obstructs with the working of our system. In this respect, the latest 2016 edition K7 total security antivirus software would suffice to protect your laptops and computers from malware and external malignant threats.
One cool thing about this software is that it is an Intelligent anti-virus with scheduled scan. The K7 total security comes with enhanced real-time scanner and smart file scanning algorithm to detect exploits in any file. Isn’t this just great?!
Its activity report monitors your children’s Internet activities and blocks access to a hostile environment. The content filter protects what kind of content children are allowed to view.
The software has a full device control feature to read, write and execute access to external devices.
- It features a cloud-based website verification program
- It features a virtual keyboard meant for identity protection
- An automatic behavioral firewall which scans through USB for threats
- Consumes less RAM on PC
- The web protection tool is very efficient
- Does not consume a lot of space and thus the system can work perfectly
- No negative points found.
5. McAfee Total Protection – Two Way Firewall System
McAfee Total Protection is the next-gen security for your computer. It easily detects and blocks viruses and malware wherever they might be hidden in your computer.
It deploys real-time protection from all the latest threats for millions of users. You don’t have to keep the search on; this is your one-stop solution provider of virus protection, parental controls, spam filter, and the perfect ability to secure sensitive files.
It features a two-way firewall system, which gives you added layers of heavy-duty protection. The quick clean feature deletes unnecessary cookies and temporary internet files.
Also, it automatically sends alerts on missed updates or insecure Wi-Fi networks. It also checks applications and drivers for valid digital signatures.
- It features the best clock-active protection
- It features the McAfee Quick Clean which deletes all unnecessary cookies and temporary files.
- It features the McAfee shredder which helps you destroy sensitive files
- It features a two-way firewall which monitors that traffic on your PC
- It features the SiteAdvisor which identifies a URL that might be harmful to the computer.
- You are also provided with a password manager
- It comes at a very cheap rate compared to the features it has to offer
- You can trust the protection from McAfee
- Comes with an instruction manual for easy setup
- The software might come with requirements that old systems might fail to meet
6. BitDefender Total Security – Protection and best performance
With the BitDefender Total Security, you can be sure of ironclad protection for computer, even against the most advanced of malware and viruses. It is designed to offer you protection and privacy across a variety of platforms.
It does all this great job without slowing your devices down. It makes use of the most advanced of security technology, which you would find simple and intuitive.
With this software, you can be sure of protection and performance for your PC or Desktop.
The malware detection in this software is top-notch, which you would find hard to beat in the market. It offers pure performance, as it preserves the speed you are working with, and extends the battery life considerably.
The anti-ransomware is born out of innovation, and you can be sure of a valid defense in the case of ransomware. Even when connected to Wi-Fi, you can be assured of security on the go.
In cases where help is needed, the customer care is always ready to discuss with you.
- Zero Performance Impact: With Bitdefender Photon Adaptive technology handling processes as per usage patterns & provided the best performance
- Antivirus & Anti Malware Protection: It prevents, detects and remove viruses, worms, trojans, ransomware, keyloggers, backdoors, rootkits, etc
- Ransomware Protection: Bitdefender Ransomware Protection ensures system integrity by protecting critical system areas against damages without impacting the system This feature provides security from ransomware infection
- Active Threat Control: Bitdefender Active Threat Control is an innovative proactive detection technology which uses advanced heuristic methods to detect new potential threats in real time
- Vulnerability Scanner: Scan your computer for vulnerabilities to make sure that all installed applications, along with the Operating System, are updated and properly functioning
- Friendly UI
- You are bound to receive daily updates
- The user interface is friendly
- The many features might sometimes feel as though they are cramped into it.
7. Kaspersky Internet Security – Ensure complete data protection
This software is equipped with features that help families and their computers stay safe from hackers, irrespective of the website and devices connected to it. They are safe from hackers, attackers, and ransomware.
With this software installed on the family computer, there is freedom of surfing the internet, shopping, streaming and socializing without restriction.
Kaspersky antivirus is explicitly designed with the family at heart. It helps to defend your family privacy and other important info from phishing, tracking, and spying.
Data is securely protected, and it is relatively impossible for behavior on the internet to be tracked, or the users being spied on. It also features a patented technology that helps it in preventing audio surveillance by blocking unauthorized access to microphone data.
With this software, it also possible to use code locks for android devices.
When a member of the family is to use a shopping site, the antivirus software scans to ascertain the Genuity of the website, to prevent the person from being extorted by a fake website. Verified website are opened in a safe mode.
This software is made with the family at heart, and one major function of its is that it can store passwords of family, which would be accessible from any device connected to the internet.
You don’t have to worry, you get to manage your family’s security effectively in spite of your busy schedule.
- It features password safe for the family
- It is equipped with features that help with online privacy
- It features an easy-to-use interface
- It is very easy to set up
- It works with different PC versions
- The 3 years total security is real
- Priced affordably
- It scans at a very fast speed
- It focuses too much on family security and might be leaving out needs of corporate businesses
8. Max Secure Software Total Security – Effective protection against threats
With this software, you can provide real-time security for your home and small office. You get protected from malicious threats and other advanced technology.
You can even go a bit further with your protection by using the Smart Firewall.
This software offers adequate protection against Spyware, Malware, Adware, Key logger, and Rootkit makes it more suitable against security threats.
The max secure’s smart scan engine with advanced virus control and heuristic algorithms are set to deliver the best form of security you would experience. It provides maximum security, protecting your online banking and shopping, hence, keeping you safe from cybercriminals.
Your data is also protected from thefts.
There are other features you get to enjoy, including the Whitelisting, crypt monitor, laptop tracker, data backup and restore. This is the security to pick if you are particular about securing your data.
- It features the POPS/SMTP/IMAP with which it checks messages
- It features a two-way firewall which is capable of stopping threats
- Provides data theft prevention of sensitive information
- Can be used with laptops, not of the Indian IP address
- It is a very good product
- If not properly installed, it could lead to your applications crashing
9. AVG Protection – Additional anti theft protection
Are you in search of the premium antivirus software, at a very cheap price? I can say that this would suffice your basic security needs. You have nothing to worry about.
It brings your very best online protection to your Windows PC, notebooks and tablets to give you safer online browsing, banking, and shopping.
The AVG antivirus for Android also Includes advanced anti-theft features to help recover your devices in case of theft or loss. AVG Antivirus for Mac Protects your Mac computers with real-time scanning and triple protection against Mac, Android and PC malware.
You can always Install the software on unlimited devices for your personal and family (home) use. However, you should beware and know that resale and commercial use prohibited.
AVG Protection Secure all your devices Internet Security for Windows Antivirus, Android Antivirus, and Mac Unlimited Devices.
AVG Internet Security for Windows provides the very best protection for your Windows PC, notebooks and tablets. It also assures you of safer online surfing, banking, and shopping.
AVG Antivirus for Android Protects your Android phones and tablets from malware and gives you powerful tools to help you retrieve them in case of loss or theft.
- It is equipped with advanced antivirus software
- It features anti-theft program in the case of thefts
- It also features the call blocker technology
- It is designed to optimize battery use
- It also features technology with which it can keep track of your data plan.
- This software can be used across many devices all at once
- The installation guide is very easy to follow
- You would be exposed to less frequent issues with this software. You can use it for a long time
- The security might not be up to the professional extent you would need
10. ESET NOD32 Antivirus – Easy to use
With the ESET antivirus, you can be sure of protection against hackers, malware, and other data theft. It does all these effects without slowing you down.
You can be sure of protection against all viruses, ransomware, rootkits, worms, and spyware. Isn’t this all you need in an antivirus?
It is simple and offers reliable protection. The internet security feature is also easy to use; you can get it up and running in no time.
Again, you should know, you won’t be subject to being slowed down while working with the computer.
Also, this software does not consume much power; its efficiency rate helps you optimize power use. Hence, you can play, work and browse the internet without being slowed down.
You can run this software on any Windows version, however, you would need the internet for this product
- It features protection device control
- It features a gamer mode, which is optimized specially for gamers, without crashing their games, while providing security.
- You get to protect your data from ransomware, phishing.
- Ideal for home and office use
- It is very efficient and effective.
- It needs internet connection for proper functioning
11. Escan Internet Security – Ensure safe web browsing
EScan Internet Security Suite guards your digital identity, you don’t have to be worried about being stalked online or being hacked. It also provides security for your online communication, safeguard your sensitive financial transactions and stay away from spam and phishing emails.
With the eScan Antivirus, you will get a safe web browsing experience, protection from malware and computer virus.
- Designed to work with all versions of windows
- Developed to provide smart proactive protection
- Provides enhanced security from all kinds of evolving cyber-threats, such as Ransomware, Adware, Spyware, Trojans, and phishing attack.
- You can use this antivirus for as long as possible
- They have good features that would surely appeal to you
- Many users have appreciated its effectiveness and stated that they have been using it for years
- It is only an internet security suite, it cannot work offline
12. BullGuard Antivirus – Very tough on Malware
BullGuard Antivirus features powerful layered protection. You don’t have to be worried about malware such as phishing attempts and Trojans designed to steal your banking data.
It rids your system of ransomware.
While using this software, you are bound to experience the same speed you enjoyed when it is not in use, either in the background or active. Whatever you do online, your computer will be fast, clean and malware-free. Easy to use, tough on malware.
- It is designed to work on all versions of windows
- It can work on both 32- and 64-bits system
- Provides you with total security
- It comes with a game booster
- It can only perform basic antivirus functions
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does antivirus software do?
Antivirus software is a software that is designed to detect and prevent all types of malicious software from your computers, such as viruses, worms, and Trojan Horses.
It can also be used to prevent any spyware or add internet security from the threats of hackers and crackers. Antivirus software scans the computer for the presence of any new, unknown malware.
2. How is antivirus useful?
Antivirus software is not only useful for detecting any type of viruses inside your system, but it can also be used to prevent malicious programs such as worms, viruses and Trojan horses and unwanted invaders from making your computer sick.
The malicious acts include acts such as deleting files, accessing personal data, or using your computer to attack other computers. Antivirus programs could be used to prevent intrusion into your computer.
3. Which software should I choose for my business?
There are a lot of options you can always pick from when choosing antivirus software. However, if you really care for your business, you shouldn’t compromise on getting the best one out there.
Protection against viruses directly involves your data and the business at large, there is no harm in going for the best protection out there.
4. Some people say complete antivirus software protection is not enough:
Yes, the times have changed, and the rate at which malware surface is alarming. Some malware even find their way into the system before an antivirus software is written for it (before the software updates its signature library).
So, it is safe to say that no antivirus software can completely protect your computer. So, if you can afford to go for other security measures, it would be a great idea.
5. What are the other protective measures I can have for my business?
There are lots of them, and you might need to hire an IT security expert for that. They however include; firewall protection, cloud security software, endpoint protection, POS security programs, etc.
6. Would it be safe to use more than one antivirus software at a time?
It is safe for you to use just one software at a time. Using just one takes up a whole lot of memory space, not to talk of making use of two.
They would only be a burden to your computer.
With so many choices available in the market, hopefully, the top 10 antivirus software will help you serve your needs. From these, our top 3 picks are Quick Heal Antivirus, Max Secure Software Anti Virus Plus Version 6 and K7 Total Security .
There are hackers out there willing to access your data at any slip in security.
So also, there are millions of malware that can corrupt and crash your system in no time, hence, it is left to you to offer maximum protection to your system, with a rightly chosen antivirus software.
Do not be complacent with this; it is better to act on this immediately and make it a conscious effort always to scan your computer regularly. Also, make it a point of duty continually to update your software, so that its signature library can be up-to-date.