Best Microwave Ovens
Microwave ovens have now become the basic necessity of Indian families today. In this fast and busy moving life, it is impossible to spend hours in the kitchen. Everyone needs something which speeds up the kitchen chores so that you can take care of other important things. There is a difference between microwave and traditional ovens. The microwave oven not only satisfies your basic needs for cooking but also assist you in the cooking of restaurant-style delicious food at home.
The Indian market today is flooded with a wide variety of options for you to choose. It might get a little confusing while buying the one that suits you the best. Therefore, we have all the information you require to make the right decision including microwave ovens types, ideal microwave oven capacity guide for your family, and comprehensive buying guide to help buy the best microwave oven, followed by a list of 10 best microwave that would help you in choosing the right product and also few FAQs
Top 10 Microwave Ovens
Easy to clean
The Smart Oven
Quality on a Budget
Perfect for Large Family
The Energy Efficient Microwave
Suitable for Small Families
Difference between a traditional oven and microwave oven
How does a traditional oven work?
A traditional oven is an enclosed appliance with metallic elements on the top and bottom. When an electric current flows through these elements, these are heated up. Now, these elements heat the enclosed space between the top and bottom elements. When the food is placed in the cavity of the oven, electromagnetic waves are developed which heats the food and cooks it.
Electromagnetic energy is used to generate electromagnetic waves. These waves cook the food providing them the right taste. They are good for reheating, roasting, and other forms of cooking. Some of the traditional ovens have fans that help in distributing heat uniformly, which cooks the food evenly. These fans also help in cooling down the thermostat, which gets heated up while producing heat. They are good for baking and simple cooking.
How does a microwave oven work?
Microwave comprises of a generator called Magnetron. When the food is placed inside the cavity, and the microwave is switched on, the Magnetron takes electricity from the power source and converts it into high-powered radio waves.
The Magnetron transfers the radio waves to the cavity where the food a through the waveguide. The food is placed on a turntable. This turntable is mounted on a roller ring so that the table rotates and the food is cooked evenly and uniformly. The microwaves bounce back and forth off the reflective walls of the cavity.
When they reach the food, they do not bounce back just like that but penetrate inside the food and cooks them. Then the molecules of the food vibrate, which leads to vibration of other molecules and in this way the entire food is heated and cooked.
Microwave Oven versus OTG
OTG (Oven Toaster Griller)
- It is an oven which is utilized for baking. It is mostly used by professional bakers
- An OTG needs more time in baking foods compared to a microwave oven as it uses traditional heating technology
- It possesses heating elements on it’s top and bottom portion.
- If you want to grill you will need to activate the top coil and on the other hand if you want to bake it will require you to activate both its coil to become efficient.
- This is perfect for crisp cookies, lovely muffins, and personally-made cakes.
- The cost of OTG is generally low. It starts from RS 1500 and above
- The baking quality of OTG is even and is best.
- You can use all kind of utensils for ovens in OTG. Even metal vessels.
- It utilizes microwaves, which is a kind of radio wave in order to heat food.
- These waves utilize the molecules of liquid in the food to increase its temperature in order for it to bake, cook, or grill.
- It helps you achieve a perfect browning effect on your foods, making it taste more desirable.
- Microwave ovens do its functions rapidly which makes it ahead of its OTG counterpart.
- The cost of Microwave oven is generally high. It started from 3,000 and above
- The baking quality of microwave oven is good.
- You can not use Metal vessels in Microwave ovens
Microwave Oven Ideal Capacity Guide
Before you buy a microwave oven, it is important to be mindful of the number of people in your household. It is important because you will get to know if the microwave oven that you will buy will be sufficient enough for your needs and will not give you any hassles.
Here is the following guide that you should take note before buying one.
- For the solo microwave ovens, if you are a bachelor, couple, or an extremely small family (2-4 members), then 15 to 20 liters is enough already.
- However, its equivalent for the grill or convection microwave ovens is quite different because it will require you to have 21 to 30 liters in order for you to accommodate 2 to 4 persons in one serving.
- For the large families who are 4 to 6 members, it will require you to have 25 to 30 liters for the solo microwave ovens. However, for the grill and convection type ovens, it will require you to have 32 liters or more of maximum capacity.
To simply everything please refer to the table below.
|Type of oven||2-4 persons||4 to 6 members|
|15 to 20 liters|
21 to 30 liters
21 to 30 liters
|25 to 30 liters|
32 liters above
32 liters above
Microwave oven based on price range
As mentioned above, there are three types of microwave ovens available in the market. In this table below, we will distinguish these three types of microwave ovens based on the price range.
|Microwave oven type||Microwave oven price||Useful links|
|Solo microwave oven||4000 – 6000||Best Microwave oven under 6000|
|Grill microwave oven||7000 – 10,000||Best microwave oven under 8,000|
Best microwave oven under 10,000
|Convection microwave oven||10,000 – 15,000||Best microwave oven under 15,000|
Types of Microwave Ovens
There are many types of microwave ovens available in the market today.
Solo Microwave ovens are suitable for those who have a small family of two or three members. This kind of microwave oven is the most basic form of microwave available in the Indian market today. They use one single Magnetron that produces microwaves, and they can be used for simple cooking and reheating your food. These microwave ovens cannot be used for baking and grilling. They are quite cheap as compared to other types of microwaves due to their minimal features.
Grill Microwave Oven
This type of microwave oven is used in grilling, roasting, and toasting. This is a specially designed microwave oven that has heating coils for grilling purposes. It can grill sandwiches, chicken, meat, veggies, and paneer. The microwave works in conjunction with the grill and provides you with delicious grilled food. They have grilling accessories that add grill and char marks to the food and browns them to perfection.
Convection Microwave Oven
Microwave convection oven work just like any high-end device. It can be used for baking and grilling purposes independently and even in conjunction with each other. It uses a heating element which generates heat waves. These heat waves are circulated in all directions by a fan which cooks each part of your dish by exposing to it to hot air thereby cooking your food properly without under-cooking it.
Buyer’s Guide – Tips to Choose Best Microwave Oven
Different cooking options
It is very important that your microwave oven has multiple cooking options for you to choose so that you can grill, bake, defrost, reheat, and even cook tandoori food whenever you want. It should have auto-sensors along with auto cook menus which shuts down the microwave when the food is perfectly cooked.
Capacity and size
It is very important to consider these two factors while buying a microwave oven. The capacity of a microwave is measured in liters, and the size is the volume of space inside the microwave oven. If you buy a microwave of large size and capacity and use if only for a small quantity of food, a lot of money and energy would be wasted, and you will also not get properly cooked food. So, it is better to analyze your requirements and then choose the one which suits you the best.
You should look for a microwave in which you can manually set the cooking time or the one which automatically switches off once your food is cooked. This way, you do not have to worry about your food getting over-cooked or burnt.
Microwave ovens come in different panels. If you want an easy to use a panel which has a long life, then you should go for a mechanical type. If you want a stylish design, which is easy to clean and has a touchscreen panel then goes for a feather touch design. Panels having jog wheel controls, which are easy to set the time and temperature are the ones with tactile buttons.
You need to make up your mind on how much you are ready to spend buying a microwave. After this, you can look for the product that has maximum features within your budget and buy that one. The price depends on many factors like size, brand, features. So, all these things need to be analyzed before you buy something that would not make you regret later.
Wattage and Power Rating
You need to look for a microwave oven that is intelligent and can reduce the consumption of power. Microwave with higher wattage will lead to fast cooking but would also increase your bills. So, choose a microwave oven that ensures efficient cooking with low power bills.
Child lock features
This feature is very important if you have kids at your home. With just one code, the appliance locks all the keys and controls. It even switches off the microwave if the door is opened slightly, thus preventing any mishaps.
The smell of the previously cooked food should not ruin the freshly cooked food. Thus, it is very important that the microwave is deodorized after every usage. This forces out the bad odor from the microwave, so your food always smells fresh and nice.
Every microwave should have a turntable so that it rotates and there is even distribution of heat which ensures that every part of the dish is cooked properly and you don’t have to rotate your dish every time.
Top 10 Best Microwave Ovens
1. Bajaj 20 L Grill Microwave Oven – Our Pick
Bajaj is a brand that offers a wide array of products. Bajaj is an Indian product which takes care of its customers in delivering what they need and makes sure they deliver a good quality product.
Bajaj 20 L Grill Microwave Oven (MTBX 2016, Black) is a very nice product if you are on a budget. This product will satisfy all your needs if you are looking for a microwave oven with some basic functions. Bring home this simple and user-friendly microwave oven and enjoy the goodness of delicious food at home. It has a capacity of 20 liter which is suitable for small families and bachelors. Apart from having microwave functions, it is also equipped with grill functions.
- It helps you to defrost your frozen food very quickly.
- It is equipped with multi-stage cooking, which helps you to cook food faster and easier.
- It has an integrated cooking timer alarm which keeps you posted of what is happening so that you do not ruin your dish.
- It has many different power level from which you can choose the desired power level and cook as per your need. This also allows you to set the temperature according to your need.
- It uses a thermal fuse to ensure safety.
- It can be used for baking, grilling, reheating, defrosting, and cooking.
- The jog dials of this microwave are very easy to use and are highly durable.
- One of the cheapest microwave ovens on the list with amazing quality.
- It cooks food at a very low temperature leading to undercooked food.
- Does not come with a starter kit with the product.
2. Samsung 23 L Solo Microwave Oven – Easy to clean
The Samsung microwave oven model comes with a scratch-resistant ceramic interior that is made to last. It features solo, tact and dial control buttons with a digital display. The CMF design with mirror and stainless steel build make it an ideal option for any kitchen because of its stylish appearance. The model also comes with functions like food warning, power defrost, and 16 pre-programmed recipes that make cooking a convenient task.
- Features a ceramic interior that is made to last.
- CMF design with mirror and stainless steel.
- Capacity: 23 Liters.
- Voltage: 230 Volts.
- Comes with a food warning feature that will keep food warm at a proper temperature without over-cooking it.
- It has 16 pre-programmed recipes for your convenience.
- Has a power defrost function that can defrost frozen food quickly and evenly so that the food is not soggy.
- It has four modes that you can select for chocolate, butter or sugar for melted or softened recipe ingredients.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty on product and 5 years on the magnetron.
- Durable interior with up to 99.9% anti-bacterial protection and scratch-resistance.
- Easy to clean.
- The stylish model that perfectly fits in your kitchen.
- Allows you to cook anything and everything be it green beans, brown rice, boneless chicken breast to grilled salmon steaks with moist and flavorful results.
- The non-transparent dark glass door does not allow you to see or monitor the cooking process inside.
- The cords provided is short making it inconvenient to reach the power source.
3. LG 32 L Convection Microwave Oven – User-Friendly Microwave
The LG 32 L Convection Microwave Oven (MC3286BRUM, Black) is something that would make your work extremely hassle-free in no time. It is power-packed with great functions. This microwave oven has specially designed features which makes it stand apart from the crowd.
The diet fry technology allows you to prepare with dishes via the minimum of oil. It uses up to 88% of less oil. It allows you to prepare many kinds of roles like naans, lachcha paranthas, tandoori rotis, missi rotis with just a touch of a button. Also, the LG microwave oven is very easy to prepare fresh paneer and curd with this microwave oven.
- The pasteurized milk features help in getting germ free milk while retaining all the nutrition of milk anytime you want.
- It gives you fresh and odor-free ghee in just 12 minutes.
- It has a 360-degree motorized rotisserie which allows you to barbecue your food at home without any hassle.
- The stainless steel cavity helps in better reflection and ensures uniform heating so that the food is cooked evenly.
- It comes with specially coated non-stick Tawa for food that requires extra browning and bottom heating.
- It has 365 auto cook menus with the preset feature. All you have to do is press the ‘start’ button, and your dish will get prepared.
- It can be used for reheating, defrosting, and cooking.
- Stylish design to suit your kitchen’s layout
- Tactile buttons and jog dials make it easy to use
- Long-lasting quality
- Auto program feature is the best for beginners
- It produces noise during operation.
4. Samsung 28 L Convection Microwave Oven – The Smart Oven
Another brand that has never failed to surprise its customer with its durable and highly functional products is Samsung. They have some amazing products that are sure to make your work more comfortable than before. Samsung has always been a brand of trust.
Samsung 28 L Convection Microwave Oven is power-packed with world-class features that would help you to make national and international dishes at home. The tandoor technology and the fermentation function makes the microwave stand out in the crowd. It allows you to fry food with its slim fry technology. This Samsung microwave oven combines a grill with warm air circulation, which cooks crispy food inside and outside.
- The fermentation function of this microwave helps you in obtaining homemade curd and dough at any time. It uses advanced fermentation technology, which sets the right temperature and gives you the perfect dough and curd.
- It has a wide variety of pre-programmed local recipes for you to choose and replicate the taste of those dishes in your food with just a touch of a button.
- The strong odors of your food won’t prevail inside the microwave as all you have to do is use the deodorizing function that forces the inside air to the outside which helps your food to smell fresh and delicious.
- It has a scratch-resistant ceramic interior which is very easy to clean and would not get scratched or discolor with time.
- Multiple functions like curd making, roti heating, auto-sense, Indian food options, etc.
- It is super easy to clean.
- check the slim fry function helps in cooking diet food.
- The 28-liter capacity is suitable for large families.
- The microwave is a bit heavy.
5. Bosch 28 L Convection Microwave Oven – Quality on a Budget
Bosch is one of the leading brands in the field of microwave ovens. Bosch has emerged as the supreme power in delivering products that are equipped with the latest technology and have extra-ordinary features.
Bosch 28 L Convection Microwave Oven (HMB45C453X, Stainless Steel and Black) with Borosil Starter Kit which can be used for baking, storing, reheating and serving. You would not regret your purchase as it is designed using the best and the latest technologies with features that would assist you even in the smallest task.
The rotisserie function and the fry lite function ensures tasty yet hygienic food for you and your family. This microwave comes with a borosil kit in which can be used for cooking, storing, reheating, and even serving the food. It has a rotisserie function which allows you to cook yummy and roasted dishes in the comfy of your home. It is one of the best convection microwave ovens.
- It has a Fry Lite function which allows you to fry your food with minimum fat and is less time. So, you can even fry your food in the most hassle-free and cleanest manner.
- It has a tandoori function which cooks your tandoori food like chicken, prawns, and paneer with maximum precision.
- It consists of a glass-covered door that is fully shielded from microwave emissions, and it stops functioning even if the door is opened slightly.
- It comes with a heat-proof baking tray that has covered feet so that you can safely place it on your kitchen worktops and tabletops.
- It consists of a glass turntable so that each part of your dish is evenly exposed and heated, which gives a perfect taste to your dish.
- The glass turntable is mounted on a roller ring which ensures the even distribution of heat.
- It has two wire racks of two different levels which grill the food at two levels.
- This microwave oven cooks food, ensuring that no nutrition is lost from the food and your food tastes the best.
- You can cook your food in this microwave without any risk of health.
- It has seven modes of cooking that are Frylite, Convection for baking, Grilling, Combination, Tandoori, Motorised Rotisserie, Reheating along with defrosting.
- No complex settings, very simple to use.
- Large turntable
- After-sales service is not up to the mark
6. LG 28 L Convection Microwave Oven – Perfect for Large Family
Another promising brand that has made a mark on the Indian market today is LG. LG is known for its sturdy design and great performance and is the best microwave oven brand. LG has made a mark in the Indian market today because of the fantastic service delivered by them to their customers. They have multiple service centers in India, which help the customers to easily get in touch with the technicians and get their work done.
LG 28 L Convection Microwave Oven (MC2846SL, Silver) is the best microwave oven that would help you in your kitchen chores and also compliment your kitchen setting. So, without any further ado, bring home this microwave oven and enjoy tasty food. It has some auto-cook menus that would help you in preparing some dishes. This microwave also allows you to make delicious paneer and curd at home in just a couple of minutes.
This LG microwave oven also has 251 auto cook menus. These auto cook menus have preset menus. All you have to do is select the dish you want to cook and press the ‘start’ button. In a short time, your dish would get prepared without any hassle. The different auto cook menus are specially designed for people who are health and calorie-conscious.
- This microwave oven comprises a quartz heater which is concealed. This helps in eliminating any risk of a hand injury. So you can place large portions of food inside the oven and cook them fast.
- It has a stainless steel cavity which helps in better reflection and uniform heating. Thus, helping in even and better cooking.
- It allows you to make odor-free and hygienic ghee in just 12 minutes.
- It comprises a recipe book which helps you in learning different and new dishes every day.
- Controls: Touch keypad is sensitive to touch
- This microwave oven will keep your food warm at the right temperature for at least 90 minutes.
- Setting the food menu is easy.
- It is also simple to clean and maintain.
- The oven has multiple preset menus, which make it convenient to use even for a beginner.
- CheckIt has a capacity of 28 liters, which is suitable for large families.
- In some cases, vapors start coming out of the oven.
7. IFB 30 L Convection Microwave Oven – The Energy Efficient Microwave
IFB is a very old brand that has always upgraded its technology with time and delivered some amazing products to suit our requirements. They have never failed to serve its customers with products that have helped them in a way no other product could. IFB is a well-known brand for its quality and supreme performance.
The IFB 30 L Convection Microwave Oven (30BRC2, Black) is the best microwave oven that would help in satisfying all your requirements and would make your work easy and fast. The deodorizing feature and the auto cook menu helps you in keeping your microwave clean and gives you many options to prepare new dishes every day. Apart from extraordinary performance, This IFB microwave oven offers an amazing function which would help in making your work super easy.
- It has a rotisserie feature which allows you to prepare crispy meat dishes, and you can even roast poultry. All you have to do is use it with an upper and lower heater.
- The fermentation function gives you fermented batter, dough, milk products whenever you want them.
- It has 101 auto cook menus for you to choose. All you have to do is enter the weight of the food item and wait for your dish to get ready.
- It allows multi-stage cooking, which makes cooking save time and more convenient by automatic sequential execution of various modes of cooking.
- It has an in-built memory that stores three levels of cooking, micro, grill, and convection.
- The keep-warm feature keeps your food warm for 90 minutes. So, you do not have to worry about your food getting cold. This feature even delivers a very low power microwave pulse, keeping the temperature of your food constant without over-cooking it.
- In order to defrost your food, just enter the weight of the food, and it would get defrosted in a couple of minutes.
- It combines the technology of grill and micro, which browns and cooks delicious meals.
- The steam cleaner cleans all the grease of your microwave oven in just a couple of minutes and leaves a nice refreshing lemon fragrance.
- It has a child lock feature to avoid any accidental mishaps.
- Overheating protection, so no worries of food getting overheated.
- Some Amazon users doubted the quality of the product.
8. BPL 30 L Convection Microwave Oven – Multi-Tasker
BPL is a brand of trust that has left an impression of trust and faith in their customers because of the amazing products they deliver. Their products are robust in design and for heavy-duty usage. The quality of parts used in their products in extra-ordinary.
BPL 30 L Convection Microwave Oven (BPLMW30CIG, Silver) is an intelligent microwave oven which serves the best functionality to help you to cook the dish according to your taste. It is highly affordable, and the matte finish design of the microwave compliments your kitchen as well. It has a capacity of 30 liters, which is sufficient to prepare meals for your family at one go. It is suitable for large families. It can bake, grill, cook, reheat, defrost, in just a couple of minutes.
- It has a stainless steel cavity inside the microwave oven that allows even circulation of heat and cooks your food uniformly without over-cooking or under-cooking it. The cavity is scratch-free and stain-resistant, which makes it highly durable.
- It comes with child lock.
- It has a smart power selection.
- It has many auto-cook options that intelligently calibrate time and heat for your various cooking needs.
- It has many different power levels which allow you to choose from them and select the one according to your preference, thus ensuring the proper cooking of your food. This also helps you to conserve energy by customizing power usage.
- Amazing quality product.
- Perfect for re-heating.
- Easy to operate.
- Compact in size, so doesn’t take a lot of space in your kitchen.
- The jog dials are durable and very easy to use.
- Some Amazon users stated that it does not switch off automatically.
9. Godrej 20 L Convection Microwave Oven – Aesthetic Design
Another brand that offers a very good microwave oven is Godrej. Godrej offers products that are amazing in performance, and also they do not burn a hole in your pockets. These products are highly functional and reduce your work-time to half. The brand focuses on providing good products at a low price.
Godrej 20 L Convection Microwave Oven (GMX 20 CA5 MLZ, Silver) offers amazing features with great performance. It comes at an affordable price and offers incomparable functions, which are enough for you to cook any type of food you want. It combines the technologies of convection and microwave energy, which ensures efficient and faster cooking. It is a multipurpose device which helps in baking, grilling, reheating, and defrosting.
- It has many different stages of cooking so you can preset the stages, and it automatically goes to the next stage as soon the previous one ends.
- The temperature settings allow you to set the temperature of the oven as per your cooking need.
- It helps in cooking delicious food by using the convection technique, which cooks food from inside and outside, retaining the moisture of the food.
- It has fans which cool down the oven quickly once the cooking is finished, which increases the life of the oven.
- It has 140 auto cook menu options from which you can select and cook delicious food.
- It has tactile buttons which allow you to operate the microwave oven with unclean hands.
- It has a glass turntable mounted on a roller ring which rotates so that the heat is distributed uniformly and the food is cooked evenly.
- The door of the oven is designed well with some alluring floral pattern that adds beauty and aesthetic charm to your kitchen decor.
- The knob buttons make it very simple to operate.
- It is compact, so it saves a lot of space.
- Great durability.
- Falls in the affordable price range
- Some Amazon users stated that the fuse went on and off repeatedly.
10. Godrej 19 L Convection Microwave Oven – Suitable for Small Families
Godrej is a brand that has a wide variety of electronic appliances to offer. One of the best appliances this brand offers is the large collection of microwave ovens. These products will not make you regret in the future after you buy them.
Godrej 19 L Convection Microwave Oven (GMX 519 CP1, White Rose) is an incomparable microwave oven that would make your work zippy. This smart appliance has many supreme features which are very easy to operate. It is a multi-tasker and can be used for many purposes. It has a capacity of 19 liters so that you get enough space to cook your finger-licking food with maximum ease. It is suitable for small families or bachelors. It can be used for many purposes like baking, grilling, defrosting, and reheating.
- The interior gets heated very quickly as the hot air flows, which cook food very fast.
- It has a beautiful exterior which adds charm to your kitchen layout.
- The roller ring provides smooth rotation, thus making the food cooked evenly.
- You can easily defrost your frozen food with this microwave oven.
- It has flexible temperature settings which allow you to set the temperature as per your need.
- The tactile buttons can be used to operate the microwave oven even with stained hands.
- It has an insta-cook feature with which you can make a variety of dishes.
- It can be used for multiple purposes like baking, along with grilling, reheating, defrosting, and cooking.
- It comes with a child lock to ensure your child’s safety.
- It offers multi-stage cooking that would help in saving your time.
- CheckMany users have appreciated the auto-cook menu.
- No negative reviews on Amazon on working of the product.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What type of microwave oven is best for home use?
Micro-wave oven for home use should be chosen based on your family size and the cooking functions i.e. grilling, baking, toasting, heating. So, the best microwave ovens for home use based on their types are:
2. Which microwave oven is better – convection or grill?
The answer to this question depends on the cooking functions you are looking for. A convection oven can perform all the functions of grilling, heating, and baking. However, a grill convection oven can only grill and heat food items. They are not designed for baking which is one of its limitations.
On the other hand, convection ovens are more expensive than compared to grill ovens. So, if the price is not a restraint for you a convection microwave oven is better than a grill oven.
3. What is inverter microwave and is inverter microwave better?
An inverter microwave oven basically uses the power supply of an inverter rather than the magnetic coils. It is indeed better since it uses substantially less amount of energy and is more efficient than traditional ovens. In fact inverter ovens also ensure proper cooking of the food.
4. Which are the top brands of microwave ovens?
The top brands of microwave ovens are Morphy Richards, Samsung, Bajaj, Kenstar, LG, Godrej, Bosch, BPL, etc.
According to us, the best product on the list is Bajaj 20 L Grill Microwave Oven. We highly recommend this product due to its amazing features at an affordable price. Also, it is from a trusted brand, so you do not have to worry if you receive a faulty product. You would be easily able to return the product and get a new one. The fermentation and banishing food odors technology makes it exceptional and worth the price.
We have researched over 100 microwave ovens and found that these ten will definitely meet your expectations. All the products listed are from trusted brands that will not lead to any malfunctioning as acclaimed by the brands.
So, analyze your requirements well and buy the one that suits you the best. Bring home these wonderful appliances and enjoy the taste of delicious food every day in the warmth of your home.