Best USB-C Hubs and Docks
With technology growing by every day, we are being welcomed with a lot of changes in our day to day lives. Be it our way of lifestyle, our food and the very important, our technology. Due to advancements in modern technology, the rate of work has been increased, and everyone demands actual production in less amount of time.
The mobiles, speakers, and laptops which we use have the primary motive of transferring and accepting data. Alongside this, they need to get fully charged to perform specific functions.
Earlier, the type of cables that were used was Type-A and Type-B. Unlike the Type-C cables, they were bigger. Due to the emerging standards in technology, Type-C cables were introduced first in the year 2014, but it was really in the last year that it caught up the pace. Not all the devices which we use are Type-C compatible, but sooner or later, they will replace the older and large USB connectors. Testing is being done for using this USB cable as a replacement to the 3.5mm audio jack as well. This USB cable is intertwined with other new standards as well as the 3.1 USB for faster input/output delivery and improved power delivery.
Along with the introduction of USB Type-C cables, the USB C hubs and docks are also introduced now. Now we can see a transition from the legacy of USB ports because companies are in a run to develop devices that are thinner in size and faster in service.
USB A ports as we all know, take up a lot of space, slower than the Type-C and when it comes to multiple connections, they are limited to a few.
Rising to the standards of the new developments, USB C Hubs and Thunderbolt docks have been introduced.
They have been designed with multiple Port A connection, HDMI, DisplayPort, and SD card readers—and other ports. This product is used when you have multiple devices in use, and you need to connect all of them to your Laptop or PC. Also, those devices that are not Type-C compatible and needs to be connected to your PC can also be done.
So, the introduction of this product was to bridge the gap between your PC and everything you want to use. The added advantage is the fast data transfer that can take place with the help of Type-C cables.
9 Best USB-C Hubs and Docks
USB C Hubs-
The two most current types which often gets confused with one another is the USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3. Both of them ideally look the same in shape and size. They both look like ovals like holes in the side of your laptop, smartphones, and PCs.
The USB C 3.1 standard has two generations which mainly differ in their transfer speed. It is compatible with transfer speed up to 5Gbps while Gen 2 support speeds up to 10Gbps.
Apart from that, the other feature that differs in both is that Gen2 offers 20 volts(100 watts) of power delivery which allows it to charge the devices as well as connect them to the external drives.
Thunderbolt 3.1 offers a greater deal of features along with it than the USB 3.1 Gen2. The rates of data transfer between the devices are very fast as it can offer up to 40GBps. Apart from that, it offers 100 watts of power delivery which allows you to charge your devices in a high-speed and 4K 60Hz displays, four lanes of PCI Express Gen 3, eight lanes of DisplayPort 1.2, and daisy-chaining for up to six devices.
Daisy chaining allows you to connect more than one peripherals at a time. So, your limited connectivity has now been resolved through this method. Thunderbolt 3.1 is bi-directional which means that at the same time, you can receive and transfer data.
It does not matter if these features are relevant to you or not; it is proven that Thunderbolt 3.1 has the upper hand than the USB 3.1 Gen2 port. It is difficult to identify them, but the former has a lightning bolt next to it.
With advancement happening each day, it is not possible that we change ourselves too soon, it takes time! Then it would be very difficult for us to connect our old peripherals with the new ones. With the presence of USB C docks and hubs, it has become very easy!
- Number of Peripherals: USB C Docks have several ports to connect your old peripheral devices which have the older version of USB ports such as Type-A and Type-B. In that case, you should have a Hub which can connect them to your new device. Most of them have multiple Port A connection, HDMI, DisplayPort, and SD card readers—and other ports. You need to know how many peripherals you would be connecting to it and buy accordingly.
- Read/write speeds: The performance of the product is an important aspect that needs to be correctly identified before buying it. The transfer of data ranges from 5GBps to 40GBps, depending upon the type which you choose to buy. If you have a heavier work, go for a better read/write speed. Otherwise, the normal ones are far enough for your use.
- Laptop-charging times: Your devices could also be charged using these hubs, but the charging time differs. USB 3.1 offers 20 volts of power delivery, and Thunderbolt 3.1 offers a precisely better charging time which makes it a better choice.
- Data transfer speed: If you have a large file that needs to be transferred between the devices, your data transfer speed should be high, or you will be annoyed while waiting for the transfer. A good USB C hub provides a fast data transfer speed.
- Smartphone charging time: A fast smartphone charging time reduces your waiting time and lets you perform multiple tasks in no time.
- Budget: With lots of ranges and varieties of products being released, their price varies significantly. If you need more functionalities and features through your product, it is well understood that you need to pay more. Have a rough idea about what all you need and how much you can pay!
Top 9 USB-C Hubs and Docks
1. UGREEN USB Hub, Type C 3.1 Adapter Dock
UGREEN USB Hub, Type C 3.1 Adapter Dock with 4K HDMI for MacBook Pro 2017 2016, Dell XPS 15 13, HP Spectre/Envy, Lenovo Yoga 720, Chromebook, Galaxy S9 S8 is known for its compatibility with many devices which make sit one of the preferable choice available to the users. The 5-in-1 USB Hub is a stylish and portable companion with all your laptops.
- The 5-in-1 USB hub provides you with 4K HDMI, 3 USB 3.0, 60W USB c PD charge port.
- The 4K HDMI provided in this product allows you to mirror/screen your laptop monitor through a projector. This proves to be very helpful in case when you have to attend a business meeting to show up your presentations.
- The USB 3.0 ports support a faster data transfer rate of up to 5 Gbps which facilitates your file transferring at a much faster rate.
- It can be used to connect your mouse, keyboard, and Pendrivewhich is a basic requirement when you operate your laptops.
- The HD output produced with these ports makes you experience a better watching experience.
- It is a self-powered Hub which means that an external AC adapter has to be used to make it work. It supports Power delivery which facilitates fast charging of your laptops.
- It comes along with an IC which provides stable and fast performance.
- Not recommended to charge other devices.
- No MicroSD slot to access files through it.
2. AmazonBasics USB 3.1 Type-C to 4-Port Aluminum Hub, Black
The product provides all the basic requirements which a user needs from a USB hub. It is compatible with devices having Windows 10, 8, and 7 and Mac OS 10 or later which increases the versatility of the product.
AmazonBasics USB 3.1 Type-C to 4-Port Aluminum Hub, Black is a four-port device that can be used to connect all the basic things needed in a computer such as a mouse, keyboard or a USB drive. It is easy to operate, and you need not have to install any specific drivers to use this hub.
- Due to its compatibility with Windows 7, 8, 10 and Mac OS, it is a very versatile product as it can be used along with any tablets or laptops easily.
- The set up of this product is not at all difficult, you need to plug this hub on to your device, and it starts working. You need not have to install any drivers to access its features.
- It has four ports on it which are ideal for mice, keyboards, cameras, and smartphones.
- This Type-C hub supports USB 3.1 and backward compatible with USB 3.0 and 2.0.
- The Aluminium case by which it is made allows heat to dissipate easily from the product while you are using it which prevents the overheating of the device.
- The Ports are positioned at an upper angle which makes it easy for you to plug and unplug devices.
- The self-adhesive velcro tapes provided beneath it prevents any movement caused during working.
- The design is such that it is sturdy and stable at a place.
- No slots for MicroSD cards.
- It is not recommended to connect high charging devices like tablets.
3. HyperDrive Compatible with MacBook Pro/Air 6 in 2 USB C Hub
HyperDrive Compatible with MacBook Pro/Air 6 in 2 USB C Hub (40 Gbps,100W Charging, 5K Video) Thunderbolt 3.0,1000 Mbps Ethernet, 4K HDMI, USB A, Dual USB – C Power delivery – Space Grey delivers a fast data transfer of 5Gbps which means any big files which you need to transfer from one device to another would be completed in just seconds. Many other features come along with this device
- The hub is compatible with 13? and 15? MacBook Pro 2016/2017/2018/2019 & new MacBook Air 2018/2019 which makes it a good choice for those who own the following devices.
- It is designed and manufactured to complete most of the works simultaneously. It comes along with 6 ports-1 x RJ 45 LAN port ,1 x HDMI, 1 x 40Gbps USB-C Thunderbolt port ,1 x 5Gbps USB-C , 2 x USB 3.1.
- The product is designed to help you connect two displays to MacBook through 4k HDMI port (1080p @ 60 Hz /4K @ 30 Hz) and Thunderbolt port (5K or Dual 4K at 60Hz)
- The RJ45 port is responsible for delivering a faster and reliable communication than the Wifi due to its fast communication speed up to 1000 MBps.
- You can also connect LAN devices/routers to MacBook through superfast 1000 Mbps Ethernet port which makes it easy for you to set up a network of devices.
- The 2 x latest USB Port A available in the hub lets you transfer files using USB Pendrive and other similar devices at a much faster rate about 5Gb ps.
- The LED glowing on the product indicates that it is being connected to the device and is operational now.
- The LAN port cap has to be pulled out before connecting any cable, and because it is made up of plastic, it can wear out easily.
4. Ugreen USB C to 3.0 OTG Adapter Cable
For those people who need to transfer their data in no time without being dependent on the laptops and tablets every time, Ugreen USB C to 3.0 OTG Adapter Cable for Type C Smartphones is a smart OTG for your Type-C port to transfer all your data and files in no time quickly.
Due to its small and compact size, it can be traveled along with you in your bag and used whenever required. Let us take a look at all the features offered by this product.
- You can easily convert your USB A to USB c with the help of this OTG Adapter cable. Now you need not have to be dependent on laptops and tablets every time to access those files.
- The compatibility of this product is very high as it can be interfaced with multiple numbers of devices – such as with the new MacBook 12? 2016, Touchbar MacBook Pro 13? 2017, 2016 MBP, for Google Chromebook Pixel, Samsung laptop, Dell XPS 12-9250, HP Spectre x360, Samsung Galaxy Note 9 S9 S9 Plus S8 S8+ Note8 Tab S3 A5 2017, LG G7 ThinQ V30 V20 G5 G6, Google Pixel XL Pixel 2 Pixel C, Nexus 5X 6P, OnePlus 5T 5 3T 3, Motorola Droid Moto Z Force Moto Z Play, HTC 10, Blackberry KEYone, etc.
- The durable Aluminium casing gives an assured that your product does not get damaged. It prevents overheating of the cable by allowing heat to dissipate at a much faster rate.
- The product comes along with the advantage of providing a superfast data transfer of about 5gbps. If you need to transfer an HD 4K movie, it would be completed much faster.
- The size is so small that it can be carried along wherever you go.
- Compatible with many accessories such as a mouse, keyboard and other gaming pads.
- Now you can easily enjoy a movie on your smartphone by simply connecting a USB drive through this OTG. Due to external storage, your phone’s memory doesn’t exhaust.
- No negative points observed so far.
5. UGREEN USB C Hub Multiport Adapter 3.1 Type C Dock Station
Not every Hub is compatible with most of the devices which limits the user-friendliness of that product. This device works perfectly with 12-inch new MacBook, MacBook Pro 2017 2016, Google Chromebook, Dell XPS 13 15, Lenovo Yoga 900, HP Spectre notebook, ASUS ZenBook3, Huawei Notebook, Samsung Galaxy S8 S8+ S9, etc.
UGREEN USB C Hub Multiport Adapter 3.1 Type C Dock Station with 4K HDMI, SD Card Reader, PD Charger Port, Gigabit Ethernet, 3 USB 3.0 Ports for MacBook Pro 2017, Dell XPS 13, Google Chromebook is one such product which is available in the market which is user-friendly and versatile together.
- This is a multiport USB hub that comes along with 3 x USB 3.0 female ports, SD TF memory card reader, 1000 Mbps Ethernet adapter and 1 USB Type-C PD 3.0 charging port, expand your Macbook’s connectivity incredibly.
- You can mirror or extend your screen through USB C HDMI adapter and directly stream max 4K UHD 3840×2160 at 30Hz, Full HD 1080P or 3D video to external HDTV display, monitor or projector.
- This USB hub is made up of Aluminium case, which dissipates heat faster. The heat which is released during its working releases faster from the case which prevents the hub from overheating and causing damage to your product.
- Though the case gets heated a little bit, it would not cause much damage as the plastic case does.
- You can rely upon its fast and stable communication than WiFi due to the presence of RJ45 port available in this dock. It can provide a speed of up to 1000 MBps. You can imagine yourself the ease in which you can complete all your works.
- The 3 USB port which is provided on this product allows you to connect a USB flash drive, hard drive, keyboard, mouse, printer, thumb drive, USB sticks, MP3 player, etc.
- The built-in SD and TF slots allow you to access the contents and files of Memory card and MicroSD cards. It supports two cards reading simultaneously.
- The Hub is fast, compatible and multifunctional which allows you to carry it wherever you want to.
- Please make sure that when you unplug this product from your laptop, remember to unplug the Ethernet cable from the hub to because it may cause network interference.
6. Hagibis 10in1 Multiport Thunderbolt 3 Dock Hub Type C Adapter
The multi-purpose USB C Hub allows you to perform multiple functions in one go. Hagibis 10in1 Multiport Thunderbolt 3 Dock Hub Type C Adapter with HDMI 4K VGA and 1gbps Ethernet 3.5 mm Audio, 3x USB 3.0 SD/TF Card Reader, Type C Power Charger for Type C Laptops Windows and Mac is a 10-in-1 multi-purpose Hub.
Along with that, the super speed data transfer allows you to access and transfer files in a fraction of time. With all these multifunctional features it is one of the most preferred choices for the users.
- The product comes along 10 ports-Type C Thunderbolt 3 Port + 3x USB 3.0 + HDMI 4K + VGA + TF Card Reader + SD Card Reader+ 3.5mm Audio Port. With all these features coming in a single product makes it one of the best choices available.
- The beautifully designed Aluminium case dissipates heat at a much faster rate due to which it prevents overheating of the product.
- This product supports PD(power delivery) charging via USB-C female port.
- If you are working in an office and get the chance to present a video or presentation, you can present it beautifully by extending or screening your monitor through a projector because of the presence of a 4K video adapter in this hub.
- The 3* USB-A 3.0 supports super speed data transfer up to 5 Gbps which allows a large file to be transferred in no time.
- The Backwards is compatible with USB2.0 and USB 1.1 Type-A devices.
- Now connect the mouse, keyboard, USD drive together using this USB Hub.
- The device gets hot if it is operated for too long.
7. Tobo USB C Hub Multiport Adapter 3.1 Type C Dock Station
The Tobo USB C Hub Multiport Adapter 3.1 Type C Dock Station with 4K HDMI, SD Card Reader, PD Charger Port, Gigabit is an 8-in-1 multi-purpose USB C dock which supports a lot of functionalities which make it one of the most preferred choices by the users.
- The 8-in-1 product features three USB 3.0 ports, sd, and micro sd card slots, Ethernet, charging port, and 4k HDMI video output. With a single product, you get to experience a lot of features together.
- It supports Type-C products such as Apple MacBook Pro 2017, Dell XPS 13, Google Chromebook and many others.
- If you wish to mirror your screen to an external output, it can be easily done with the help of the HDMI video output port.
- The quality is good and works perfectly fine.
- The robustness and the stylish design of the product make it one of the best choices available in the market.
- No negative points observed so far.
8. MoArmouz Aluminum Slim Type-C 7 in 1 USB-C Multi-Port Hub Adapter
Due to the compact, reduced design and size of your devices, it is important to have a USB C Hub which provides the port for multiple functionalities such as HDMI, Pendrive. MoArmouz 7 in 2 Thunderbolt 3 USB-C Hub w/Dual Display, 4K HDMI, 1 x USB-C Power Delivery, 1 x USB-C Data, microSD/SD Card Reader, 2 x USB 3.1 for MacBook Air 2018, MacBook Pro 2018/2017/2018 – Grey is a good option for the users to serve this purpose.
The USB C power delivers for Macbook can be simultaneously used for transferring data as well as charging based on the USB C Power delivery protocol. There are many such features that come along this product.
- It is an Intelligent Power Delivery for Macbook devices which can be used both for transferring data from one device to another and charge them based on the USB C Power delivery protocol.
- The hub comes along with seven ports in one product. There are two USB Type-C ports, an SD and Micro SD card slot, two USB 3.0 ports and one HDMI port, which supports 4K 30Hz. All your requirements are met through just one single product.
- The product comes along with a 12 months warranty and along with that continuous assistance for customers through communication, which would help them in case of emergencies and help.
- The USB Hub is specially designed for 13? and 15? MacBook Pro 2018/2017/2016 models.
- Its sleek and compact design allows it to take it along with you while you travel anywhere.
- The heating produced in the device is controlled by the polished aluminum alloy shell to prevent the hub from overheating which is a big advantage for those who have to use them throughout their day.
- It comes along with 2 USB-C male ports, specifically designed for MacBook Pro models. One is for power delivery, and the other is for data transfer to regulate the speed of heat.
- The Thunderbolt 3.0 gives high-speed data transfer up to 40 Gbps which eases your job.
- No negative points observed so far.
9. HP 1PM64AA USB-C Mini Dock for Laptops (Gray)
Often the wires of the products which we buy are not reliable as they wear off easily creating problems for you. HP 1PM64AA USB-C Mini Dock for Laptops (Gray) comes along with a soft-coated USB CTM cable that can be folded and looped into a channel and placed at the bottom of the cable which ensures the protection of your wires from extra folds and wears.
It is compatible with multiple HP devices such as HP x2 1012 G2 tablet, HP x2 612 G2 tablet, HP ProBook 470 G5, HP ProBook 450 G5, HP ProBook 440 G5, HP ProBook 430 G5, HP elite book x360, HP Chromebook 13 G1, HP elite book x360 1020 G2, HP elite book folio G1, HP elite book 1040 G4.
- The compatibility of the product is very good as it can be connected with several devices.
- It is a self-powered USB Hub that needs a power supply of +5V which means that along with an AC Adapter that comes with it, plug it to the external power supply to use it.
- It also supports DisplayPort Alt mode (video, charging, and USB 3.1) over the USB-CTM connector, also compatible with USB Type-CTM thunderbolt-enabled ports.
- You can charge your device with this dock if you connect its USB-CTM AC adapter to the dock’s USB-CTM port. The charging feature is an added advantage to this hub.
- PXE Boot support, Wake-on LAN, MAC address pass-through, and LAN/WLAN switching features allow network manageability.
- You can screen your device to an external display with the help of an HDMI port that supports 4k and VGA support up to 1080p.
- LAN/WLAN switching is only supported on Windows 10 with select platforms.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the two types of USB hubs?
While buying the USB C dock and Hub, you need to know that there are two main types of this product available which are :
- Self-Powered Hubs: These hubs have an AC Adapter along with it which provides external power to the hub. So, to use the hub, you need to plug in it to an external source of an electrical outlet or power strip.
The hub supplies its power so that you can connect many USB devices into it. Typical Self-Powered Hubs generally have 4-7 ports for connection.
- Bus-Powered Hubs: These are the hubs that do not need an external source of electricity or a power strip. It can be connected to another self-powered hub. These hubs can be used to connect low-powered USB devices such as mouse or joystick.
One of the important things to be noted is that you cannot connect two bus-powered hubs because there would not be the power for both the hubs. So, there must be at least one self-powered hub to connect both of them.
Do I need a Type C USB hub for my laptop?
With emerging technology every day, we can see that the electronic devices are becoming compact and small in size without compromising in their features and functionalities.
So, the ports for USB and HDMI have been removed from the newly released laptops. For those people who need to work on them or for those who need to connect multiple USB devices, a USB C hub is very important.
With increasing ranges of products that are being delivered on your doorsteps, it is becoming compact day by day. To keep pace with the fast-growing technology, it is important to have a USB C dock and Hub to facilitate your work.
Looking at the features and specifications of every product, we suggest that the best choice available for the users would be UGREEN USB Hub, Type C 3.1 Adapter Dock. The 5-in-1 product provides you with HDMI, 3 USB 3.0, 60W USB c PD charge port. In case if you have a business meeting where you have to present a presentation, the HDMI support helps you to screen your device through a projector.
Another product that is suggested for the users would be HyperDrive Compatible with MacBook Pro/Air 6 in 2 USB C Hub. If you have any big files which need to be transferred to another device, you can rely on this hub due to its fast data transfer. The RJ45 port allows you to connect faster than Wifi. It can produce a communication speed of about 1000 Mbps.