Best 10 Car Chargers
Listen! Do you remember the last time you left the house without a mobile electrical gadget? Not a day you can recall. Right..? Yes! There’s no doubt that tech gadgets have established a constant presence in human life these days.
Whether it’s a Smartphone, tablet, or music player, most individuals need these devices in their day to day activities.
Wait! There is one thing- almost if not all mobile gadget relies on battery power. And until now and with all the technological developments, no battery-powered gadgets come with the ability to function without requiring frequent charging.
So wherever you go, you’ll need a way to charge your devices to keep them working. And that’s precisely where a car charger comes handy.
But, with a seemingly endless list of alternatives, how do you know what suits your needs? Well, in this article, we’ve done all the heavy lifting to provide you all the information necessary to make the right purchasing decision.
What is Car Charger?
Simply put, a car charger is a device that plugs into the vehicle’s accessory port and features a USB powered port from which certain electrical gadgets can charge. In real life, it is used for charging day to day gadgets such as Smartphones, tablets, music players, and the likes in the vehicle.
So, if you are the type that spends a significant amount of time in the car or frequently heads out for road trips, a reliable car charger is a must-have companion. With one, you can forget about your devices shutting down when driving in the middle of nowhere.
Top 10 Best Car Chargers
Smart IC Charging Technology
Best Overall Pick
Best 2 in 1
Intelligent Charging Circuitry
Best 3 in 1
Compact & Sturdy Build
Benefits of Car Chargers
If you spend a significant part of your time in the car driving around running errands, with a car charger you can always power your devices hassle-free. Think about those awkward moments when you forgot to switch on the socket after leaving your phone on the charger when heading to bed. A car charger comes to the rescue when you have to leave for a road trip the next morning with no hassle at all.
Handy during emergencies
Ever had your phone switch off when you least expect? Whether you are far away in the wild or right in the middle of the highway with no possibility of stopping, such a little device can keep your phone connected in the face of emergencies. Once you have one in the car, you can quickly recharge dwindling power levels and keep your talking.
Makes long distance tolerable
Having a way to keep your gadgets powered can keep you going all through your journey. Whether you have a music player that keeps you company with soft music or you are relying on your phone to map out the direction, low battery power sits among the least of your worries. The result is that you can keep yourself entertained or connected to the rest of the world with no room for boredom.
Types of Car Charges
Wired/ USB car chargers
As the name suggests, this type utilizes a USB cable for charging connection. The charger specifically features either one or multiple USB ports from which the charging cable is plugged in. Wired USB car chargers are by far the most popular and are known for their versatility. They can be used to charge wide-ranging devices with the same level of efficiency
Wireless car chargers
These are relatively recent arrivals and use wireless charging platforms. They are a little sophisticated and flashy and tend to cost more.
What to Consider When Buying a Car Charger
As already hinted above, not all car chargers you’ll come across in the market are the same. Each model has different features hence offer varying performance in distinct circumstances of use. To help you filter through your options for the best product, here are some factors you’ll need to have in mind when out shopping:-
Power output/Amps rating
Perhaps the number one thing that should cross your mind is the Amperage output that the charger can deliver. As you might expect, car chargers come rated to charge at varying speeds say 1.0A, 2.1A, or even 2.4A.
A reliable pick should provide commensurate power output that matches the capacity of the devices you will charge. That way, you can power the battery of your gadgets much faster hence save charge time.
Car chargers are made of different material combinations. From variants of plastic to metals and so on, the variety is quite open. The nature of the material, to some extent, determines how the product will withstand day to day wear and tear. In this regard, go for something with a decent quality build that is scratch resistant, helps dissipate heat, and boasts of a generally sturdy build.
Another essential consideration is the built-in capability to function on your car and type of devices. It makes no sense to acquire a product that won’t accommodate your phone or worse plug into your car’s accessory port. For instance, if you own Android devices, look for a model that works with that line of gadgets. The same way, owners of Apple products should prefer a car charger that is compatible with their devices. Otherwise, you can opt for universal models that work without any restriction.
Number of ports
Depending on the level of need, your pick should have the requisite capacity to keep your gadget(s) charging. For instance, if you will only need to charge a Smartphone, a single port may be good enough. However, if you may need to plug in several devices at the same time, most of the time going for a product equipped with two ports or more is more advisable. Perhaps you’ll also need to put into account the number of people that may use the car charger on a road trip or any other time.
You don’t want to risk damaging your gadgets or even your car in the charging process. Built-in safety features are, by all means, crucial in a car charger. To ensure no serious issues arise during use, lookout for a product equipped with the ability to prevent overcharging, overcurrent, overheating, over-voltage, and any other safety concerns. Perhaps the presence of certification by statutory or reputable safety standards agencies should help you decide.
A good car charger should also be designed to offer optimal charging speed while guaranteeing safety. Therefore, in your quest for the most ideal, lookout for advanced charging technology, the market can offer. Also, ensure the charger is designed to automatically vary charging depending on the rating of every device undercharge.
For car chargers that make use of charging cables, be sure to find something that is tailored to provide a pain-free use experience. Crucial aspects you need to check in this regard include the length, strength, and flexibility, or even the ease of connection. To top it all, the cable should be optimized to deliver an optimal charging rate.
To allow you to recover the optimal value for money spent, you should go for something usable of multiple devices. Avoid a car charger model that works on for mobile phones alone. Instead opt for something that can charge with the same level of efficiency, Smartphones, tablets, cameras, and so on.
While these are not a must, there are worth considering as well. First, look for a car charger that has a lightweight and compact build. That way, you can avoid having something bulky and domineering sticking out your car’s dashboard.
Similarly, consider having a subtle light indicator for giving visual confirmation of charging connection and when the battery becomes full. However, the light should not be too strong to a level that it becomes a distraction.
With everything else in mind, it is the price that will come between you and the charger of choice. Although you should never compromise desirable features or components for a lower price, you shouldn’t be fooled that a higher price translates to premium quality. In everything, strike a balance between the value you’ll reap and the amount you pay.
1. boAt Car Charger – Smart IC Charging Technology
Looking for a dual-port charger that delivers up to four times of normal charging speed? If yes, look no further that the boAt Rapid Car Charger. Boasting of the leading-edge Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 technology, you can’t get any better charging efficiency from alternatives of its kind.
boAt Rapid Car Charger is tailored to offer a flexible charging experience with two handy USB charging ready to offer you the much-needed power output. And as far as safety is concerned, it offers 100 percent safety guarantee. Talk about protection from overcharging, overheating, excess current, and more, it takes every risk into account with in-built safeguards.
But perhaps the most impressive aspect is its Smart IC optimum smart charging technology. So you are guaranteed optimal performance for both Apple and non-Qualcomm quick charge compatible devices.
- Features Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Technology that ensures up to four-time fast charging speed for all compatible gadgets
- It is optimized to function with all USB and type C powered gadgets allowing more flexible use.
- Features reliable built-in safeguards to offer charging devices sufficient protection from excess current, overcharging, and overheating
- Boasts of an exclusive Smart IC optimum charging technology for Apple among other non-Qualcomm Quick Charge enables devices rated up to 3amps
- Comes with a soft jacket heavy-duty braided micro USB cable making it ready for use
- Offers efficient charging rate
- Smart charging technique
- Flexible charging options2
- Full range compatibility with USB powered devices
- Convenient size and design
- Reliable in-built safeguards
- Ideal for typical charging needs
- Comes complete with a durable cable
- Would be better with more ports given its size
2. Mi CZCDQ01BY Car Charger – Best Overall Pick
A decent quality charger that supports charging in standard cars, the Mi Basic CZCDQ01BY is a good bet for your money for several reasons. First, it features two distinct USB ports allowing charging of up to devices with the same level of efficiency. It means charging modern-day devices couldn’t be any easier.
Secondly, it is designed with Qualcomm 3.0 Quick Charge technology which ensures it shines in delivering power on to your devices. And while at it, it takes safety a notch higher.
That’s not all. It shines with a minimalist compact and lightweight design that makes it non-imposing on the car dashboard. Perhaps the icing on the cake, is the blue LED lighting that not only gives it an aesthetic appeal but allow visibility of the charger and it’ ports, especially when driving in the cover of darkness.
- Features Qualcomm Quick charge 3.0 technology to ensure a delivery extremely fast charge for contemporary USB chargeable devices
- Comes with two distinct USB ports to allow charging of up to two devices at the same time
- Boasts of a stylish blue LED ring that not only gives it an aesthetical appeal but allows visibility of the ports and the charger as a whole when driving at night
- Features an advanced chipset four-layer protection including overcurrent protection, short circuit protection, output overvoltage protection, and high-temperature protection that allows fast charging while optimizing safety
- Comes in a compact and lightweight design to ensure ease of portability
- Universally compatible with a rating of 12V/24V
- Delivers fast charging
- Compact and lightweight
- Advanced chipset ensures high safety standards.
- Universally compatible
- Works in all standard cars
- Decent build quality
- Constant in-out plugging may cause scratches on the body
3. AmazonBasics 4.0 Car Charger – Best 2 in 1
The AmazonBasics brand needs no introduction when it comes to decent quality and reliable day to day accessories. And this car charger model is by many standards no different. Designed to work for Android and Apple devices alike, you can’t possibly ask for more from a 4.0 Amp USB car charger.
Ideally, it comes as an excellent pick for mobile phones, tablets, among other contemporary devices. And that is all thanks to nearly universal compatibility. Furthermore, it comes with dual ports that enable charging two devices at a go.
But wait! Perhaps you will appreciate the built-in safety system that guarantees protection from overload, short circuit, power surge, and more.
In all, with this, you’ll have no problem charging anything from a smartphone to other pieces of everyday mobile electronics.
- Features dual 20 watts USB ports rated to charge up to two devices such as phones and tablets at the same time
- Boast of near-universal compatibility allowing charging of devices such as iPhone 7 Plus / 7 / 6s Plus / 6s / 6 Plus / Galaxy S7 / S6 / Edge / Plus / iPad Pro / iPad Air / Air 2 / iPad mini / LG, Nexus, HTC among others
- Features a reliable built-in safety system that caters for overload, short circuit, and surge protection
- Equipped with a discrete and non-distracting LED light indicator to give visual confirmation of connection.
- Boast of a lightweight and compact design to allow hassle-free portability
- Offers a reliable way to keep portable devices powered
- Handy dual-port design
- Efficient, quick charge technology
- Safe high-speed charging
- Compatible with wide-ranging devices
- Easily plugs in-car accessory port.
- Doesn’t come with a charging cable
4. Philips DLP2553 3.1 Car Charger – Intelligent Charging Circuitry
Whether you are heading out for a road trip or running errands around, this car charger by Phillips can help you keep your mobile devices flowing with power.
Designed to enable fast charging for Smartphones, tablets, music players, and cameras among other contemporary mobile devices, the manufacturer really had all the modern car charging needs in mind.
Indeed, once plugged-in into the car’s accessory port, it automatically varies the current that flows depending on that rating of the device. Granted, with its dual-port, you can charge two devices at the same time and at a high-speed charge.
And while this is one of the smallest chargers you’ll find in the market, make no mistake. It delivers quite efficiently thanks to an intelligent circuitry designed to optimize charging while protecting your device as well the charging system from overvoltage and overcharging.
- Boasts of an efficient circuitry with multiple built-in safeguards that guarantee fast charging while providing protection from over-current, over-voltage, overheating, over-charging, and short-circuiting
- Features powerful dual USB output port that can support charging of high power-consuming devices
- Designed to safely and automatically adjust the voltage output from the vehicle thus any device connected charges at a uniform rate
- Compatible with multiple devices brands including iPad, iPhone, iPod, Nook, LG, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Kindle, and more
- Multiple built-in safeguards
- Small and compact
- Elegantly designed
- Comes with the user manual
- Delivers fast charge irrespective of voltage variations
- Decent build quality
- Package doesn’t include a USB cable
5. Amkette Power Pro Car Charger – Best 3 in 1
If you are looking for a reliable car charger that delivers fast charge over three ports in one unit, the Amkette Power Pro could be the perfect fit. Manufactured with mobile devices car charging needs in mind, it delivers up to four times charging speed for all Qualcomm compatible devices.
But, perhaps what makes it tick all the right boxes is the ability to deliver on the job without causing damage to the charging devices or the car charging system. Thanks to built-in advanced chipset design, you’ll face no risks of overcharging, overheating or short circuit problems.
Beyond that, the Amkette Power Pro 3 boasts of well-thought-out SmartFLUX technology that ensures automatic adjustment of optimum charging speed under different circumstances. And that makes it safe for use with all kinds of compatible devices.
Overall, this car charger is quite versatile and can save your device from shutting down on those long road trips or outdoor expeditions.
- Equipped with efficient Qualcomm Quick Charge technology hence can offer up to four times more quickly charge than typical USB car chargers
- Features up to three USB ports which can charge up to three devices at the same time delivering a total of 33 watts output for charging wide-ranging devices
- Features an advanced chipset design with three layers of safety to ensure protection from short circuit, overcharge, and overheating
- Boasts of a unique SmartFLUX technology that ensures automatic adjustment of maximum charging speed in line with a device’s power uptake rating
- Charges Qualcomm compatible devices supporting Quick Charge 2.0 and 3.0, adaptive fast charge, Turbocharge
- Comes with a Quick Charge 3.0 + braided Micro USB cable making it a complete package for ready use
- Made of sturdy and high-quality materials to guarantee a long life in use
- Delivers enough power for all manner of devices
- Automatic speed charging
- Includes a robust, high-quality USB cable
- Reliable charging speed options
- Sturdy build
- Doesn’t support Dash and Warp charge
6. AT&T CC52 Car Charger – Versatile
Now, as a product from a brand that has stood despite the tests of time, it goes without question, this is a worthy investment.
As a three in one USB car charger, the AT&T CC52 is another great pick that brings nothing but the flexibility to typical on the go charging needs. With its three output ports, you’ll enjoy the versatility of powering various devices while on the road.
Like most trusted products, AT&T CC52 will not overcharge, create a short circuit, or deliver overloaded output. And that is courtesy of integrated circuit protection plus safety fuse component that optimizes safety.
And while it is small-sized, it boasts of a super compact build so it can withstand typical wear and tear influences.
All in all, AT&T’s innovative technology guarantees the delivery of efficient charge to keep you connected wherever you go.
- Features three USB ports of which two are 2.1A rated and one 1.0A enabling optimal and simultaneous charging of up to three mobile devices
- Comes with built-in safeguards to ensure the protection of devices from overheating, overcharging, and excess current
- Boasts of a Smart IC chip that caters for intelligent communication with connected devices to increase the likelihood of compatibility while enhancing the charging speed
- Comes in a compact and lightweight design making it ideal for travel and portability
- Features a non-destructive blue LED power indicator that helps to confirm the connection status while minimizing visual distraction
- Equipped with the ability to stop charging at the full battery charge
- Compatible with wide-ranging USB powered devices such as Apple, Samsung, and Android Smartphones and tablets
- Small, compact, and powerful
- Automatic full-charge stoppage
- Optimal compatibility
- High charging efficiency
- Reliable built-in safeguards
- Universal compatibility
- No Cons were Observed
7. iVoltaa Car Charger – Compact & Sturdy Build)
When it comes to the super compact and durable quality compact charger, very few alternatives come close to the iVoltaa dual-port metal car charger. Coming with Aluminum hybrid casing, the charger is built to guarantee a long life in use. With it, typical plugin pull out scratches will be the least of the user’s worry.
And while comes in a compact size it offers efficient functionality like any other options of its class. Given its dimensions, it stands a reliable companion that can be conveniently carried in the car, plugged into the designated port with appearing bulky and overbearing. The external build appears sleek, offering a special aesthetic edge that will add some face-value appeal to the car’s interior.
And topping it all, you will be happy it comes with two USB ports so you can charge up to two gadgets all at once.
- Has dimensions measuring 2.5 by 2.5 by 6.2 cms making it conveniently ultra-slim but with a powerful punch and compact
- Features a super-compact Aluminum hybrid casing making it a portable and a highly durable pick
- Features with two 2.4A rated USB charging ports providing a total of the output of 4.8 Amps and allows charging of up to two devices simultaneously at a full charging speed
- Designed to be compatible with 24w car charger adapter allowing it to provide sufficient power while staying usable on a 12/24 volt standard input car accessory port
- Comes equipped with Intellicharge technology enabling the fastest possible charge of up to 2.4A on each charging port
- Boast of complete protection thanks to a premium circuitry with in-built high temperature, overcharging, and short circuit protection which essentially guarantees 100 percent safe charging experience
- Equipped with electromagnetic shielding capability allowing superior audio performance while charging music playing devices
- Has the capacity to adjust voltage output automatically depending on a device’s rating for a uniform charging rate
- Dual charging capability
- Complete safety guarantee
- Efficient and fast charging technology
- Impressive build quality
- Offers powerful performance on the road
- Stylish and good looking finish
- Universal compatibility
8. Ambrane ACC-74-M Car Charger – Durable Build
The Ambrane ACC-74-M is designed to provide delightful functionality for frequent road trip fanatics. All the typical car charging needs will be as well as sorted thanks awesome features optimized to deliver convenient and reliable performance.
At face value, it is an instant attraction with a sleek soft-touch and textured finish combination. But that is just the surface. Diving a little deeper, you will appreciate its compact size and lightweight built that allows pain-free handling.
Beyond that, you’ll love the fact that it is universally compatible. So with it, you don’t have to carry different car chargers for every USB charging device you own. To sum it all, Ambrane ACC-74-M is designed to deliver just the right amount of power to keep all your devices running.
- Boasts of universal compatibility hence can charge all USB powered gadgets and can work in all vehicles with a standard accessory port
- Features a compact and lightweight design to allow convenient in-vehicle use
- Fast charging capability to ensure it provides a consistent and optimal amount of power required to charge any compatible device
- Has a Smart dual port with a maximum output of 2.4A allowing charging of two gadgets simultaneously
- Fast charging
- Universal compatibility
- Sleek and stylish
- Small compact size with rugged body
- Comes with the free micro USB cable
- Flexible charging options
- Ideal for in-vehicle use
9. QuantumZERO TopGear Car Charger – Budget Pick
The QuantumZERO TopGear Car Charger makes it into this list for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it comes equipped with a SmartQ technology that allows automatic variable charge deliver depending on the device. It means, regardless of the connected device Amperage rating, it will keep charging at top speed possible, consequently saving valuable charge time in the process.
Similarly, it boasts of universal compatibility; hence, it can charge every USB chargeable device. Whether it’s an mp3 player, mobile phone or tablet that is running out of power, it gets the job done.
When it comes to protection against typical concerns such as overcurrent, overcharging, or even overheating, nothing is left to chance. With several built-in safety guards, connected gadgets and the vehicle remains as safe as ever.
- Boasts of a SmartQ technology that provides smart detection of connected devices for delivery of the right amount of charge at the quickest possible speed
- Universally compatible charger hence can keep all USB chargeable devices such as mobile phones, tablets, MP3 players, and more powered as long as the power input requirement ranges from 0.1A to 2.4A
- Comes with multiple built-in safeguards to guarantee maximum protection from overcurrent, overheating and overcharging
- Has an Amp capacity of 4.8A sharable between the two ports that can charge two devices simultaneously
- Boasts of compact and refreshing design to add to the car dashboard aesthetic appeal
- Comes with sturdy construction to endure typical day to day wear and tear
- Features a LED light indicator to give visual power ON confirmation
- Offers efficient dual simultaneous charge
- Smart charging technology
- Massive power output
- Full-range compatibility
- Complete safety guarantee
- Super compact and durable
- Refreshing design
- Compatibility limited to USB chargeable devices rated up to 2.4A
10. TAGG Roadster Car Charger – Sleek Design
The TAGG Roadster Smart Car Charger will leave you proud of your purchasing instincts when on the road for extended periods. Three words best summarise its capabilities and features- fast, smart, and durable. Maybe you are already wondering what makes the TAGG Roadster special.
To begin with, it boasts of compact design thanks to state of the art materials used in its construction. In effect, it can endure cold and hot temperatures as well as low and high pressure. Most of all, the build can withstand the shock of accidental drops allowing the user to enjoy extended periods of use.
As if that is not enough, the manufacturer took safety considerations seriously. So, while it boasts of fast charging ability, it keeps your connected devices safe from overheating, excess current, and the likes.
- Boasts of uncompromising safety standards with multiple built-in protective capabilities to ensure overheating, overcharging, excess current, and the likes remain no threat
- Features fast and adaptive charging technology to ensure optimal and variable charging for all compatible gadgets
- Has a compact design with premium-grade construction to guarantee long-life in use
- Features exclusive Qualcomm 3.0 certified charging technology allowing delivery of the fastest possible USB charging experience
- Universal compatibility hence can charge varying versions of phones and tablets among other mobile devices
- Features the reliable Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Technology which promises up to four times more efficient charging rate
- Boasts of the Smart IC technology that enables the delivery of current depending on the device rating
- Automatic and variable smart charging capability
- Flexible compatibility
- Efficient and fast charging
- Minimalistic and sleek design
- Impressive quality build
- High endurance
- Complete safety guarantee
- Costs a little more than alternatives to its class
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many amps should a car charger be?
Car chargers come rated at different Amperage levels say 1.0A, 2.1A, and so on. Ideally, the most suitable charger should have an Amp rating that matches the uptake of devices that one intends to use it with. It is important because it determines the charging rate. It means having the perfect match will save you from waiting longer to have your gadget reach full charge.
2. Is it okay to charge the phone in the car?
Of course, it is alright to charge a phone from the designated car accessory charging port. However, you must ensure that only the right charger is used to avoid any unpleasant situations. Obviously, you can’t compare charging anything in the car with electricity but the convenience it brings to replenishing battery power makes it good enough.
3. Does a charger with a higher Amps rating charge faster?
Well, not exactly. Usually, how fast a gadget can charge depends on its in-built charge circuit capacity and not the charger. That is to say if a phone is designed with an uptake rating of two amps that’s just it. The best way to optimize the charging time is by using a compatible charger.
4. What is a wireless car charger?
In the simplest terms, this refers to a charger that transmits power without a physical connection. So, in place of plugging in a USB charging cable, a charging platform is use or the charging simply happen by setting a device on the power out.
5. What is a USB car charger?
As the name suggests, this type of car charger utilizes the stand USB design for charging. So the device comes with typical USB ports and uses a cable to connect to different electrical devices. USB car chargers are quite popular for their flexibility and almost universal compatibility.
6. What is the best car charger to buy?
Like with most products in the market, there is never a one cut fit for all. By and large, personal preferences usually make the final determination. For instance, while one person will go for multiple ports, another person will be fine with a single port. The same way, a buyer with a massive budget, would most likely go the high-end route while another with a tight budget will be restricted to affordable options no matter the features.
7. What should one look for the in-car charger?
Depending on individual needs, there are several factors one should consider before putting their money on a specific product. Talk about amps rating, compatibility, ease of connectivity, price, and most importantly, safety features. While it may not be possible to find everything in one model, a balance of all the vital considerations should suffice.
8. Which mobile phone car charger is the best?
Well, while some options from reputable manufacturers can be considered popular, none can be said to be the best. If anything, most car chargers are designed to suit specific situations. There what works for Android phones may not exactly suit their Apple counterparts. In your quest for the most suitable, strive to find what can satisfy your needs as opposed to what many other consumers considers to be the king or queen of car chargers.
. Is wireless car charging safe?
Generally speaking, car chargers have to meet set industry safety standards before releasing into the market. It means when used correctly, wireless car charging is as safe as wired cable charging. A typical charging field created during wireless charging is more like that of radio waves hence present to the risk of harm. Even better, unlike when using a charging cable, there is no risk of shock.
10. How much should I spend on a car charger?
The question of how much to part way with in exchange for a car charger boils down to two things. First is your budget. Secondly, the features you prefer your pick having. In the market, you’ll find products from affordable to all the way to premium options.
Of course, the more you spend, the better quality you are likely to get. But, for a start, you can consider going affordable and scale up over time. Otherwise, ensure what you pay gives you the performance that you need.
Having a car charger with you can make a difference on those long road trips or frequent drives around town. Whether you forget to charge your mobile phone, tablet or even a music player at home, you can always keep them powered for constant connection. And with this guide, we hope you are better placed to select what suits your needs. Now go on and get the best!