11 Best Baby Teethers
Teething is a difficult phase for babies, and even though it feels great to see their first tooth, the pain they undergo is too much to bear. To soothe your baby’s aching gums, you’ll need a teether. When chewing and biting on it, they’ll get relieved from the pain.
Some parents like using teethers that have already been chilled in a refrigerator as they provide a soothing coolness to kids. You, however, need to be careful not to freeze it for long as they can hurt your little ones’ gums since kids have very delicate mouths.
For extra relief, some teethers have a vibration when babies chew on them. Although chomping down on teethers helps infants to feel good since they offer counter pressure to the rising tooth, you need to be extra careful since some teething toys provide more harm than good.
There are a lot of baby teething toys in the market meaning that you need to be extra careful when shopping for some if you want the best for your baby. You need to decide whether you want your baby to use a silicone teether, wooden one, one made from natural rubber or plastic among others. You might also have to purchase several of them before you get the type that works for your baby.
This guide will help you to get the right teethers for your little one and with ease. It will also equip you with knowledge on teething and narrow down your search. You’ll know the different types of teethers you can find in the market, benefits, things you need to consider before purchasing one, frequently asked questions, also get to learn some few tips that will help you handle your baby properly during the teething period and the best 11 Top rated baby teethers.
11 Best Baby Teethers
Best Plastic Teether
Best for Baby’s Gum Development
Teether and a Toy
Best Silicone Teething Toy
Best Silicone Teether for Babies
Best Durability Feature
Best Natural Teething Toy
Best When Traveling
Best Wooden Teether
Benefits of Using Baby Teethers
Teethers help kids to feel less pain during the teething period. They make the entire process easier for you and your kids as well. When your baby applies a little pressure on a teether, his gums feel much better and comfortable.
Keeps kids engaged
Suckling comes naturally for infants, and whenever they come across something that they can suck, they get happy and fully engaged into sucking. Give them a teether, and you’ll have all the time you need to carry out different tasks around the house.
A teether will help your baby a lot especially when in stressful conditions such as during an injection. Some Kids also find it difficult to settle during sleep time always get comfortable when given a teether.
Prevents kids from putting foreign things in the mouth
During the teething process, your baby will always want to bite on something and thus take anything they can lift with their tiny hands to their mouth. With a teether, your baby will remain safe from using anything they come across since some can harm their mouth or even choke them.
A teether will also prevent your baby from sucking on her thumb or fingers as this ends up being a bad habit.
Helps kids to develop excellent motor skills
A teether will enable your baby to develop motor skills when lifting and placing it in their mouth from time to time. With a teether, your baby’s fingers will get firm and gain the ability to grasp things on their own. It will also enhance their eye-hand coordination.
Consider the following safety tips;
- Never leave your baby unsupervised when using a teether. You also have to ensure that you get your baby a teether that they can grip, hold and put it in the mouth safely.
- Avoid using items not meant to be teethers, as teethers for your baby. Toys with small parts that can break in your baby’s mouth and choke them should never get within their reach.
- Always verify that the teether is safe for your baby’s use before she puts it in her mouth. It should be BPA free and made from non-toxic paint.
- Avoid buying used teethers at all costs. Most used teethers get scratches which can harbor bacteria exposing your baby to health risks.
Types of Baby Teethers
Silicone baby teethers
Silicone rubbers are the best and safest choice for babies. They are non-toxic, allergy free and BPA free. These teethers are hypoallergenic and guarantee your baby of safety at all times. They also eliminate the dangers of choking since they are a one-piece of chewy, soft, soothing toys.
Silicone teethers are odorless, and you can also clean and refrigerate them with ease to enhance soothing. With them, there’s hardly the growth of mold in the teether. They come in different forms, lightweight and easy to carry and keep.
These teethers are made from latex and considered a safe choice for babies as well. It’s easy for your little one to chew on them and they also last for a long time. The only set back of using rubber teethers is that they tend to cause latex allergies to some kids.
When selecting plastic teethers for your baby, ensure that you get the BPA free ones. While doing so, remember that some may claim to be toxic free but still contain toxins. Plastic teethers come in different shapes and designs giving a variety to choose from for your baby.
These teethers are made from softwood and help your baby to go through the painful process with a lot of comfort. They are very safe for infants since most are non-toxic. Chewing on these wooden baby teethers alleviates not only pain but also strengthens your baby’s gums.
When selecting a wooden teether for your baby, ensure that the edges come rounded off since you don’t want your baby to suffer from mouth injuries.
In the past, clean cotton cloth with knots at the end worked perfectly as teethers. The practice continues even today the only difference being that they come in better variations. Fabric teethers can double up as teethers and soft toys at the same time.
The only drawback of these teethers is that they need proper maintenance since you have to keep them clean and dry at all times.
Liquid filled teethers
These teethers can come filled with either water or gel. Water filled ones make it easier for your baby to bite and relieve pain from the aching gums. They help settle the irritation and are a favorite to all kids.
For gel filled ones, instead of water, a non-toxic gel gets filled in the teething ring making it easier to chew on. You have to keep a keen eye on your baby if using this teether since her sharp tooth may puncture it making the gel to flow out,
If possible avoid using these teethers since should your baby break them, and the water or gel gets out, it might choke them. The gel may even be contaminated exposing your little one to diseases.
The following are the things you need to look out for when purchasing teethers for your baby.
You need to consider the material used for making the teether before you purchase it for your baby. There are plenty of teethers to consider including silicone ones, plastic, rubber, wooden or fabric made teethers. Go for ones that you feel will work for your baby and ensure that they are 100% safe for your baby’s use.
If possible, get a teether that comes with an attached clip. The clip makes it easier to clip the toy on your baby’s dress. With the clip, your baby will always have the teether with them. It will also reduce the chances of teether getting soiled.
The size of a teether matters a lot. For a four-month baby, you need to get a thin teether, one that they hold, lift and bite with ease, if you get a bigger one, it won’t work for them. Older babies require bigger teethers as they can hold them with ease. If you give your 13 months old a thin teether, they will most likely get bored with it after a short time.
Easy to hold
Always select a teether that your baby can grasp with ease at all times. Such a teether will most probably have grips to enable your baby to hold it better. If your baby can hold a toy, they’ll fall in love with it and always want to have it in their mouth.
Consider the weight of a teether before purchasing one for your little tot. Always go for a lightweight one since you don’t want your baby to give up on it.
Some toys give out squeaky sounds when kids bite on them keeping your little one engaged. They also entertain babies who always look forward to using them. If you get irritated even by the slightest of noise, avoid these teethers.
Content filled in it
If going for liquid-filled teethers, always consider the type of liquid used. Most come filled with purified water or cooling gels that make your baby’s teething process easier. Constant chewing can make holes in the teether exposing your baby to these liquids. In fact, they might end up ingesting some of the liquid and thus the need to know the type of content used before paying for the teether.
The safety of your baby should always remain paramount. Since you don’t want to expose your baby to any health issues, you have to ensure that the teether you purchase for them is safe for them to use. You can’t buy a teether with rough edges or one with small parts that can break when in your baby’s mouth. Keep your baby safe at all times.
The teether should also be free of toxins and BPA-free as well since you don’t want to expose your baby to chemicals.
Easy to clean
Since the teether will be going into your baby’s mouth, you need to ensure that you get one that you can wash and sterilize with ease. Most silicone, rubber, wooden and plastic teethers are easy to clean and thus a better choice. If you can get a dishwasher safe one, the better.
Fabric teethers, which get dirty with ease, might give you a difficult time when cleaning them.
Always consider your budget when going for anything. Ask yourself whether you want to spend the amount on the price tag for that teether. If it’s okay with you, then go for it. If you feel that the price is too much for you, you can always select one that suits your budget. Even when choosing cheap baby teethers, always go for quality.
1. Mee Mee Multi-Textured Silicone Teether – Our Pick
If looking for a teether with the best shape that will enable your baby to get a firm grip at all times, this teether will work for you. It comes in a unique shape that allows your baby to hold it with ease. It also comes in attractive colors to attract your baby’s attention.
The teether has a soft textured surface that helps in massaging your baby’s gums when teething and easing the pain. It comes with rounded edges that are smooth as well to provide your baby with all the comfort they deserve.
This teether for babies provides kids with the requisite amount of stimulation for your baby’s gum development. It has non-toxic colorants assuring you of your baby’s safety at all times. You can clean it with ease and also easy to sterilize, store and carry around when traveling
- Comes in a specially designed shape enabling your baby to hold it with ease.
- Light in weight and therefore easy for your baby to hold
- Has a soft textured surface that provides perfect oral stimulation
- Contains non-toxic colorants and therefore very safe for your baby to use
- Easy to grasp and hold
- Comes in a pop color that attracts kids
- Easy to use, clean and sterilize
- Has a soft textured surface that soothes your baby’s gums
- Comes out when chewing
- Not returnable
- Some users found it smaller than expected
2. Funskool Orange Teether Rattle – Best Plastic Teether
The teether comes in a specific design to help keep your baby engaged at all times. It introduces your kids to different textures, shapes, and sounds at the same time. This teether will surely give your baby the best time ever.
Made from high-grade plastic, the teether will help your baby get instant relief during the teething period. It is comfortable to hold and also safe for your baby’s use. You won’t have to worry about your baby’s mouth getting hurt as it comes with smooth edges.
The teether will help your baby develop excellent motor skills as well as perfect eye and hand coordination. It also helps your little one to develop a sense of touch. Precise movements of this teether create specific sounds enabling your baby to learn the basics of cause and effect.
Due to its lightweight, you can carry it everywhere when traveling with your baby.
- Made from high-quality child-safe plastic and therefore long lasting
- Makes precise movements enabling your little one to learn all the basics of cause and effect
- Designed to keep your baby engaged at all times
- Introduces kids to different shapes, textures, and sounds
- Small and perfect for kids
- High-quality and comes in vibrant colors
- Relieves gum irritations
- Helps your baby to develop excellent motor skills
- A little difficult for kids to chew
3. Maxbell Baby Banana Toothbrush Teether with Soft Bristles – Best for Baby’s Gum Development
This teether acts as toothbrush as well and thus very economical. It’s made from non-toxic and non-allergic silicone and therefore the best for your baby. It is also BPA, latex, and phthalates free and thus very safe for your baby’s use.
The teether comes with handles that enable your baby to grasp and take it into their mouth with ease. It is also bendable and thus easy for your baby to use. With it, your little will develop excellent hand, eye, and mouth coordination.
You can cool the teether in the refrigerator or freezer for enhanced soothing. The brush comes with soft silicone bristles that help in removing food particles from your baby’s mouth and cleaning existing teeth as well as her gums.
With this toothbrush, your baby will develop good oral hygiene habits at an early stage and learn to do them even without your presence in the future. It is easy to wash and dishwasher safe. Get your baby this teether and help them relieve their gums from pain and keep their mouth clean at the same time.
- Multipurpose since it acts both as a toothbrush and a teether
- Made from 100% silicone and therefore incredibly soft and bendable
- Refrigerator and freezer safe for enhanced cooling and soothing effects
- Banana peels handles makes it easy for your baby to hold
- Dishwasher friendly and thus easy to clean
- Made from silicone and therefore easy for your baby to bite
- Free from toxic materials and thus safe for your baby to use
- Easy to hold and use
- Bristles start falling after sometime
4. Green Toys Twist Teether Toy – Teether and a Toy
Green Toys brand is known for its baby toys. It offers a great variety from planes to trains to car. They also make toys for 6-7 month babies one such toy is this twist teether toy. It has dual functionality which is of a toy and a teether.
- Product Dimensions are 4.2 inch height
- Easy to hold with its twisted Design
- Perfect size making it easy for kids to hold it and chew on it
- The teether also have few tanglers that distract kids from crying
- Made out of safe quality
- Kids respond to this teether well because of its color and design
- Some parents have stated that the toy is too hard to chew on for their kids.
5. KIDZVILLA Fruit Shape Silicone Teether for Baby – Best Silicone Teething Toy
Nothing will make your baby happier than using this silicone teether during her teething period. It is entirely made of silicone and very soft, reliable and durable to use. Your baby will chew on it for long hours but still retain its original shape.
Your little one will have an easy time putting it in her mouth since it comes with a comfortable grip. It has a soft textured surface that massages kids’ guns relieving them of pain. Every bite on this teether brings a cooling effect to your baby’s delicate mouth.
This teether is 100% non-toxic and BPA-free and therefore safe for your baby’s use. It also comes in attractive colors to attract your baby’s attention. The product is multifunctional and can be used both as a teether and a toy to keep your baby busy at all times.
You can clean the teether with ease and also sterilize it for your baby’s hygiene. Due to its soft nature, it’ll never hurt your baby’s mouth.
- Has a soft textured surface that helps in massaging kids’ gums
- Made from non-toxic and BPA-free silicone material and therefore safe for your baby
- Comes in beautiful colors to attract your baby’s attention
- Has a comfortable grip that makes it easy for your baby to hold
- Soft and doesn’t hurt your baby
- Can easily be sterilized by boiling
- Keeps your baby engaged for long
- Soothes baby’s gums relieving them of pain
- Thick and therefore makes it difficult for infants to bite
6. Fisher Price Alligator Teether – Best Silicone Teether for Babies
This teether comes in just the right size for your baby. It is also light in weight enabling your baby to hold it by the tail to her mouth with ease. It is made from 100% silicone and thus very safe for your baby’s use. The silicone material also makes it very soft and easy to chew.
The teether offers kids tactile stimulation easing them of teething pain. The product will also help them to harden their gums if they use it regularly. The bright colors it comes in makes it appealing to kids who always look forward to using it.
This teether from Fisher Price helps your little one to develop excellent motor skills when grasping it and bring it to his mouth. It also helps your baby to improve eye-hand coordination. It is easy to clean and sterilize as well.
- Soft and comfortable for your baby to chew
- Very handy for a five months old kid
- Made from 100% silicone and therefore safe for your baby’s use
- Comes in a small size suitable for babies
- Has a scale texture that is perfect for gaming
- Thin and therefore easy for your baby to hold
- Easy to clean and sterilize
- Easy to bite
- Light in weight
- A little hard
- Attracts dust
7. Dakos Baby Food Grade Soft Sensory BPA-free Stimulation Corn – Best Durability Feature
Are you in search of a teether that your baby will use for a long time? Dakos baby teether will work best for you and your little one. It is made from baby-friendly material and doesn’t break with ease. It is also eco-friendly and therefore one of the best teethers you can find in the Indian Market today.
The soft silicone material makes the teether easy for your baby to chew. Its smooth texture helps to soothe your baby’s aching gums providing her with instant relief. It comes in perfect shape to fit your baby’s small mouth. It is also big enough to prevent your baby from choking.
The teether is super lightweight and therefore easy for your baby to grasp and lift it into their mouth. It helps your baby to develop excellent motor skills as well as eye-hand coordination. If your baby is crying and looking for a bite, give them this corn as it will help them calm down.
The teether comes in beautiful colors that will make your baby fall in love with it. The ears, legs, and horns of the teether come in just the right size for your baby to hold. It is easy to clean since it’s dishwasher safe. You can also sterilize it with hot water.
- Super lightweight enabling your baby to grasp it with ease
- Comes in the right shape to fit your baby’s mouth
- Big enough to prevent your baby from choking
- Made from durable and eco-friendly silicone material
- Comes in an attractive design that makes it fun for kids
- Soft and easy to hold
- Doesn’t break with ease and therefore durable
- Easy to clean and sterilize
- Comes in a smaller size than expected
8. U-Grow Multicolor Silicone Teether – Best Natural Teething Toy
This teether is made from food-grade silicone and thus very safe for your baby’s use. With it, no chemicals will get into your little one’s fragile system. The high-quality silicone material also makes it durable.
The teether is soft and flexible, a craft that makes it stand all the chewing and sucking. It doesn’t damage the oversensitive babies skin. It comes in a malleable form that makes it contour its form as your baby chews on. It is also high heat and tear resistant.
It comes in a watermelon shape and colors that makes it appealing to kids. It will help your baby to cool down any unpleasantness before her teeth erupt. It also comes with an appendage that makes it easy for you to control when in your baby’s mouth. You can easily remove it from their mouth.
Due to its silicone built, it is easy to clean and sterilize. The material also makes saliva, and other foreign particles easily slide off the teether.
- Made from food-grade silicone and therefore very safe for your baby’s use
- High heat and tear resistant thus very safe for your baby’s use
- Comes in a malleable form that makes it contour into any shape when chewing
- Has an appendage that makes it easy to dislodge from your baby’s mouth
- Lasts long even after frequent sterilization
- Baby friendly and chewable
- Non-toxic and therefore safe for your baby
- Brightly colored to attract kids
- Some parents complained that the design isn’t suitable for kids
9. NOYMI Food Grade Baby Teether/BPA Free Soft Silicone Teething Toys – Lightweight
The product is made from 100% food grade silicone as well and the best to purchase for your kid if worried about her safety. If plastic isn’t your thing, this teether will suit you and your baby best. It will help keep your baby safe from chemicals and toxins at all times.
The teether is lightweight and small enough for your baby to hold with ease. Its design makes it safe for your baby’s use as they can never swallow it. It also has a unique bottom that offers your baby a perfect grip every time they use it.
Since the teether is easy to grasp, it helps your baby to exercise their fingers grasping ability. With it, their fingers become firm with ease as well. It is incredibly durable and will last beyond your baby’s teething period where she can use it as a toy.
The teether also acts as a stimulating sensory toy for kids. It will help soothe your baby’s sore gums and enable him to calm down. It is one of the best gifts you can get for your little one since it works effectively for the front middle and back teeth.
To sterilize the teether, all you need is a steam or boiling water.
- Lightweight and small enabling your baby to grip the ring well
- Comes with an easy to grasp bottom that helps your baby to exercise fingers grasping ability
- Acts as a stimulating sensory toy for babies
- Made from high-quality food grade silicone and therefore durable
- Comes in perfect shape and also safe for kids
- Flexible and easy to hold
- Light in weight and easy to carry when traveling with your baby
- Toxin-free and free of BPA, lead, latex, and phthalates
- Has a weird rubber smell
- Not suitable for infants under six months’ old
10. KACOOL Baby Teething Mittens Self Soothing Pain Relief Mitt, Stimulating Teether Toy – Best When Traveling
If looking for a unique teether, especially if your baby likes to suck on her thumb, this is the teether to go for. It is made from food-grade silicone, and FDA approved for safety. Your baby can, therefore, use it without you having to worry about her health.
It comes in a unique design, crinkle sound and pain relieving texture. The teether will stimulate learning to help your baby acquire the best growing up experience. It will also help your baby to grow teeth happily as it will relieve pain from their sore gums.
The teether will also protect your baby from self-scratching and irritating their skin and also lessen the chances of your baby suffering from blisters associated with thumb scratching. It will soothe your baby’s gums making her happy at all times.
The mittens come with an adjustable Velcro strap that keeps them on your baby’s hands all the time preventing them from falling on the ground. It comes with a soft, breathable fabric that absorbs all drool. It is also easy to clean and dry since all you need to do is put it into the water and dryer.
- Comes in a unique design to help your baby go through a pain-free teething experience
- Made from food-grade silicone and FDA approved for your baby’s safety
- Comes with an adjustable Velcro strap that helps to keep it in position at all times
- Has soft and breathable fabric that absorbs all drool and also makes it easy to clean
- Easy to clean
- Keeps your baby’s hands clean
- Smooth and durable
- Effectively relieves pain from kids’ sore gums
- A little pricey
11. Mintbowl Wooden Teether Stick and Wooden Ring Teether – Best Wooden Teether
If you would rather go for a wooden teether than any other type, give the teethers a try. The ring and stick come from hand-made pure organic wood that is very safe for your baby’s use.The teethers are also eco-friendly and therefore the best to use for your little one.
The teethers are easy to bite since they have smooth surfaces. They will also never hurt your baby’s mouth due to the same feature. They are also very light in weight and easy to hold making it possible for your baby to place it in their tiny mouth.
You can clean the teethers with ease since all you need is mild soap. To sterilize the teethers, place them in boiling water to keep them free from bacteria.
- Made from Milkwood and therefore very soft for your baby to chew
- Have smooth surfaces and therefore best for your teething baby
- Light in weight and hence easy for your baby to hold
- Made from pure organic wood making it safe for your baby to use
- Contains no artificial colors
- Soft and smooth enabling your baby to enjoy every bite
- Eco-friendly and therefore safe to use
- Ring breaks with ease
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I tell that my baby is teething?
You will tell that your baby is teething if her gums get swollen and sensitive or when you see a tooth below her gums. Drooling, irritability, fussiness, refusing to eat, trouble when sleeping and trying to bite or suck on everything are also indicators that your baby is teething.
Should you notice several symptoms, there is a very high chance that your baby is teething. However, you need to be cautious since it could be something else altogether.
2. Are teethers safe for babies to use?
Teethers help to soothe your baby’s gums and keeping her comfortable during the teething period. Since kids suck on them, the presence of potential chemicals is alarming and therefore the need to select the best. Avoid plastics if possible and also avoid freezing teethers as they can get hard and bruise your baby’s gums.
To ensure that your baby remains safe when using a teether, select those without small pieces as well.
3. How long do babies need teethers?
Basically, your baby will require a teether throughout the teething period which mostly ends by the time she becomes six months old. Some kids will, however, use them until they get 13 months old.
4. How do I get my teething baby to sleep?
To help your teething baby feel more comfortable to sleep, give them a cold but not frozen teething ring to chew on. You can also try to rub her gums with a wet gauze pad or a clean finger.
5. How long does teething pain last after the last tooth appears?
The first tooth can appear at any time between 3 to 15 months with an average of four to seven months. For most babies, if teething causes symptoms, it’s usually four days before the tooth comes in and three days after the tooth appears.
6. Does breastfeeding soothe teething?
Breastfeeding will only help soothe your baby who is in pain or unhappy. When it comes to teething, you may not achieve much by breastfeeding your baby. Remember that teething kids mostly like to chew and bite on things. Only teething toys can help soothe your baby’s sore gums during this period.
7. Will teething stop my baby from eating?
The pain will make your baby stop eating. However, as long as your little one takes fluids refusing to eat shouldn’t become of great concern since it’s okay for babies to eat less during teething. The only thing you need to do is keep offering them food since once the pain is gone, they’ll start eating again.
8. Can I boil Baby Teething Products?
Yes, you can. Boiling is one way of sterilizing your baby’s teethers. By sterilizing them, you’ll be protecting your baby from disease-causing bacteria. All you need to do is bring a pot of water to a boil and let the teethers boil for a few minutes.
9. When should I give my baby a teether?
Most babies start teething between the age of 4 to 6 months, and that’s the best time to introduce a teether to them. To be always prepared, ensure that you get teething toys by the time your baby is two months old to avoid rushing at the last minute.
10. How many teethers do I need to purchase for my baby?
Try an assortment of different types since your baby may hate some. You don’t want to purchase one teether that your baby ends hating it. You need more teethers so that if one gets misplaced, you’ll always have another one to replace it.
For a start, try having at least five teething toys for your baby, to begin with.
Our three best choices of baby teethers online include Mee Mee Multi-Textured Silicone Teether comes at an affordable price but still works great for teething kids. It comes in the right shape and size for infants and serves its purpose effectively. It is exceptionally soft and comfortable to chew as well. Maxbell Baby Banana Toothbrush Teether, on the other hand, comes in beautiful colors and acts both as a toothbrush and a teether as well. It provides kids with excellent grip enabling them to put in the mouth with ease. It is also easy to bend and flexible too. Funskool Orange Teether Rattle comes with the best silicone material to keep your baby safe from toxins and harmful chemicals. The teether is also easy to clean and sterilize.
After going through the guide, you should have an easy time getting your baby the best teether. Select the best that you feel will help ease your baby’s pain during the teething period and help them overcome the pain.