9 Best Pacifiers For Your Baby
Does your baby need comfort in between feedings? Is your baby is a thumb sucker? Does your baby sleep while sucking the fingers? Pacifiers come to your rescue. Pacifiers can be used to remove the habit of thumb sucking or fingers sucking.
Whether you call them a dummy, doodie, soother, or binky, pacifiers are a must-have in the first year.
Usually, pacifiers have a handle to hold it comfortably, a teat, and a mouth shield. However, mouth shield and handle are made bigger to avoid swallowing.
Pacifiers are truly lifesavers but it is hard to determine which one will your baby prefers. You might have to try a few to find out which one your baby loves.
Pacifiers also have adverse effects. They can not be used for a long time. Pacifiers need to be replaced from time to time. Also, a toddler should not get habituated to sleep only with a pacifier. Tips are provided on using pacifiers.
So, here we have given complete details regarding pacifiers like pros and cons of pacifiers, what are the various types of pacifiers, Its cleaning procedure. Finally, we have picked the best pacifiers available on the market along with a buyers guide, FAQ’s and Do’s and Don’ts of Pacifiers.
Top 9 Best Pacifiers for Your Baby
Perfect Oral Stimulation
Pro and Cons of Pacifiers
- Pacifiers may help to make your baby fall asleep by relaxing
- It provides a good soothing effect
- Also, using a pacifier at nap time or night time can reduce the chances of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Pacifier calms down the baby if the baby is fussy
- Moreover, pacifier usage can be stopped, but thumb sucking cannot be stopped
- Pacifier will provide a great soothing effect on your baby
- A crying baby can be calmed down quickly with a pacifier
- Most importantly reduces the risk of SIDS
- Offering your baby a pacifier during a blood test or shots can make the work easy
- Early use of a pacifier may affect the nursing cycle. As sucking will be different and hence many suggest to offer a pacifier when the baby is not hungry.
- Many dentists say that sometimes on regular pacifier usage, imperfect teeth are observed.
- Also, a jaw problem and other dental problems may be observed.
- Pacifier may also cause an ear infection if used for a more extended period.
When Should a Pacifier Be Replaced?
Pacifiers are not expensive, so; you can be replacing them whenever you find it to be done. Proper maintenance of pacifiers can be used in the long run.
However, every pacifier comes with age; it means pacifiers can be used for those particular age babies only. It is mandatory to check the age mentioned before buying the pacifier.
Always replace the pacifier whenever a tear or hole or crack is observed. In many cases, the continuous usage of the pacifier may get damaged quickly. Also, replace the pacifier if the teat gets stretched or changes its color.
It is best to replace the pacifier whenever you find it sticky even after washing it with hot water thoroughly.
Moreover, if you find the handle or mouth shield is cracked, it is advisable to replace the pacifier with new ones. So, it is a good option to check the pacifiers regularly before offering it to your baby.
Finally, it is best to make your baby or toddler stop using a pacifier when they are grown. It will be a difficult task for parents to make toddlers get rid of pacifiers.
Eventually, it is the responsibility of parents to make their toddlers stop using pacifiers.
Do’s and Don’ts of Pacifiers
- Do talk to the pediatrician before offering your baby a pacifier. Take a few advice from him.
- Never offer a pacifier to your baby when they are hungry and need to breastfeed.
- Do clean the pacifier regularly before offering them. If you sterilize the pacifier, ensure it is cool and ready to be used.
- Don’t offer the pacifier which has tears or cracks, or the handle is broken.
- Always do ensure that the handle and mouth shield is large enough, and the baby doesn’t swallow them by mistake.
- Don’t’ allow your baby to chew the pacifier; this may lead to damage of pacifier.
- Also, don’t allow your baby with a pacifier for a longer time.
- Don’t’ dip the pacifier in sugar or honey; this may damage your baby teeth.
- Homemade pacifiers are not recommended.
- Moreover, pacifiers must not be tied to your baby neck. Instead, use ribbon clips to hold it.
- Always cover the pacifier when not in use or while traveling from one place to another place.
- Don’t offer the pacifier to an underweight baby.
- Don’t make compulsion for your baby to use a pacifier.
Tips on Using Baby Pacifiers
- Always offer a clean pacifier to your baby.
- Avoid offering pacifiers forcibly.
- Use a correct pacifier as per your baby age.
- Use the pacifier in a limited period while napping or at bedtime.
- Avoid tieing the pacifier to the neck.
- Try to stop the pacifier usage when the correct age is attained.
- At the top of all, never use a pacifier, which does not fit the standards and is made from low quality plastic.
How to Clean Baby Pacifiers?
Babies keep the pacifiers in the mouth. Hence, they must be cleaned properly. Using uncleaned pacifiers may result in inviting infection, germs in the mouth.
Perhaps it is advisable to always clean the pacifier before giving it to your baby.
Always rinse the pacifier with soap water thoroughly and wash it with hot water. Few pacifiers are advised to be boiled before use.
By mistake, if your baby places the pacifier on the floor, wash the pacifier with hot water before giving them. Ensure that you have another pacifier in spare.
Also, few pacifiers are dishwasher safe, so you can simply put them in the dishwasher. It is highly recommended to sterilize the pacifier every time before you offer it your baby.
Once you sterilize the pacifier, allow it to cool completely and then offer your baby.
Types of Pacifiers
Choosing a pacifier will be a hard task as a pacifier for a newborn will not be the same for a two-year toddler. Pacifiers are designed for different aged babies. Moreover, we have different types of pacifiers available in the market.
We have mentioned below the different types of pacifiers.
Round tip pacifiers are considered as the traditional kind of pacifier. The tip of the pacifiers is round.
Moreover, these kinds of pacifiers avoid nipple confusion, and hence they are advised to breastfeed babies.
Pacifiers with silicone material nipples are called as Silicone pacifiers. They are easily available in the market.
Also, they are easy to clean and dishwasher safe. They can also be used in the long run. However, one must keep replacing the pacifiers.
Moreover, silicone pacifiers suit for newborn to 3-year toddler. Silicone pacifiers are easy to clean and less prone to odor.
Also, they are transparent in color and longlasting.
The nipple of the pacifiers is made from latex material. They are considered as smooth pacifiers. Also, latex pacifiers are flexible, soft.
Due to the softness, teethed babies can easily bite the teat and tear them. Few babies are allergic to latex pacifiers, so stop using if you found such allergic conditions in your baby.
Usually, they are not considered dishwasher safe. Also, they are in yellow or brown color, and the color becomes, even more, darker on regular usage.
One piece pacifiers are made from a single piece of silicone or fine plastic or latex. Usually, the nipple, ring/mouth shield, and handle are made from a single-piece only.
Also, they are considered safer to use as it reduces the choking risk.
A multiple-piece pacifier is the most available and common pacifier in the market. The pacifier is made from three different pieces or two different pieces or sometimes even four separate pieces and club together as a pacifier.
For example, the teat may be from silicone material while the ring and handle may be from a plastic material. Here, each part is manufactured separately and then combined into the shape of the pacifier.
Orthodontic baby pacifiers
Orthodontic pacifiers are uniquely shaped, and doctors prefer this type of pacifier as it avoids dental problems in toddlers. The tip of the teat is not round and is flattened shaped and help significantly in sucking.
Moreover, using pacifiers enhances jaw development. Also, sucking this pacifier reduces pressure on gums.
Glow in the dark
Glow in the dark pacifiers is easy to find at night time when the baby drops the pacifier. Moreover, it provides a soft light that helps while a baby is sleeping.
It has all the features of pacifiers and work similar to standard pacifiers but with extra light. They are available in plenty of colors in the market.
Feeding pacifiers are best when the babies start their teeth. You can place either a juice or juicy fruit in the pacifier, and whenever your baby chews the pacifier, they can enjoy the flavor and taste of the fruit or juice.
Offer this kind of pacifier only when you have started solids to your baby.
Novelty pacifiers are the funniest pacifiers and are for entertainment purposes. You can use this pacifier as per the costume of your baby, in some parties, to look attractive.
Wide varieties are available in the market like crooked teeth, mustache, beautiful lips, etc. They bring a smile to your face while you look at your baby.
The bright, attractive pacifiers will be favorite pacifiers for your baby. Animal pacifiers are designed innovatively to attract babies.
We can find many varieties of baby pacifiers in the shape of monkey, elephant, lion, turtle, etc. The teat and ring parts are attached to soft animals, which can also be used to play.
Many parents don’t choose them as they are not easy to use.
Guide to Choose the Best pacifier
It is the first thing to see while buying a pacifier your baby must be comfortable to use the pacifier. Few babies feel comfortable using orthodontic pacifiers, and few feel comfortable using round-shaped pacifiers.
If any pacifiers irritate your baby stop using them and buy a different one.
Pacifiers that are BPA free come in the long run and safer to use. Also, make sure that pacifiers are BPA free as few brands may simply mention the pacifier as BPA free, but they are not.
Type of pacifier
We have seen at the beginning of the article, various types of pacifiers are available in the market. Every baby prefers a different kind of pacifier.
If your older baby prefers a feeder pacifier, your younger one may prefer glow in the dark pacifier.
Choose the pacifier which attracts your baby and makes comfortable to use. Experiment with two different styles and stick to one. Babies are more concerned about the color of the pacifier.
Size of the pacifier
It usually depends on the requirement of a baby. Newborn’s pacifier does not fit for a toddler who is 2+ years old. Also, many pacifiers mention the suggested age for the pacifier.
Hence, before buying a pacifier cross-check the age of your baby matches the pacifier.
The shape of a teat
Usually, teat of the pacifiers comes in different forms – cherry or round tip, orthodontic. The round tip shape is considered as the traditional one while the orthodontic shaped teat is flat at the tip.
Moreover, orthodontic teat avoids nipple confusion.
Before buying a pacifier, look at which material is used to prepare the teat as they are either made of latex/silicone. If you prefer silicone material, choose silicone-based pacifiers.
Few people consider latex pacifiers may cause some allergic reactions. However, it purely depends on your baby preference.
Easy to clean
It is an important thing to check while buying a pacifier. Every pacifier comes in different shape and size, newborn baby pacifiers are tiny and needs more effort to clean.
Few pacifiers come with dishwasher safe choose them if you are not sure that you can clean the pacifier by hand appropriately. Sterilize them before use.
Also, few pacifiers are restricted from sterilizing and are preferred to be washed by hand.
The durability of the pacifier is important as you do not need a pacifier whose teat get damaged quickly. Otherwise, tears off easily or the handle part break down soon.
Ensure that pacifier comes with good durability.
Babies are more creative, and if they start playing with the pacifier instead of placing it in the mouth, and if your pacifier is not of good quality, you may harm your baby.
Plenty of designs are available in the market. Make sure you choose the right shield with ventilation. Also, few guards come with handles, and others do not have handles.
So, if your baby needs to handle to hold the pacifier easy it is better to opt handle shield pacifier. Moreover, few shields have a soft edge, while few shields have textured bumps both inside and outside.
Bright colored pacifiers are easily visible when your baby drops them on the floor while playing than a light-colored pacifier. Also, bright-colored pacifiers are attractive, and baby easily gets attracted.
Every pacifier is disposable just simply through the pacifier when your baby stops using it. Otherwise, you may end up in a situation where your baby will be using the pacifier even when he started his schooling.
1. Philips Avent Glow in the Dark Night Time Soothers – Glowing pacifier
Philips India Limited is the subsidiary of a leading health technology company, Netherlands, Royal Philips. Philips has a wide range of personal care products, sound and vision products, baby products.
Baby products include pacifiers, warmers, sterilizers, bottles, and nipples.
Philips Avent Glow in the night pacifier comes with an odor-free silicone teat. Also, the teat is collapsible and supports in oral development of the baby.
To keep the sterilized teat hygienic, the pacifier comes with a snap-on cap.
- Philips Avent pacifiers are odor-free and made from silicone
- Orthodontic teat help in the natural growth of gums, teeth, and jaws
- Pacifiers are developed for newborn babies. Also, the product is available in two packs
- Small and lightweight shield of pacifiers allow easy flow of air and prevent saliva build-up
- Moreover, the pacifier is hygienic and can be sterilized. Additionally, the pacifier comes with a snap-on cap which can be used when a pacifier is not in use
- Glows perfectly at night
- Nice product baby sleeps easily
- Moreover, the nipple of the pacifier is soft
- The pacifier can easily be cleaned. The teat is transparent, smooth and strong
- The handle of the pacifier can be improved more as it is not strong enough
2. Pigeon Silicone Pacifier – Infants pacifier
Pigeon products are designed innovatively and can be used easily. Also, pigeon promotes the healthy growth of the baby. Their products include cleaning and sterilizing, nursing bottles, breastfeeding, baby skincare, oral care, hygiene, maternity products, teethers, and pacifiers.
Pigeon Silicone pacifier is designed with safety standards and is BPA free. Also, the shape of the pacifier is unique, and the teat is super soft, easy to use.
- Pacifier comes with a protective hood to cover the teat when it is not in use
- The base of the nipple allows easy sucking movement
- Also, extra safety is taken by providing the holes for the mouth shield for easy airflow
- Supports oral development system
- Moreover, the product has a great soothing effect on the baby
- Works efficiently and ideal for infants
- Silicone quality is good
- Comforts the baby well during sleep
- Pacifier is available in different colors and different symbols on it
- Water resides in the teat of the pacifier while cleaning
3. Fisher-Price UltraCare Polypropylene Silicone Nibbler – Self-feeding pacifier
Fisher-Price is an American company fisher price that produces toys for infants and children. Fisher price is the subsidiary of Mattel.
Self-feeding food nibbler creates curiosity among babies. It has a great feature of feeding and storing vegetables, fruits. Moreover, it allows eating the fruit in small pieces avoiding choking.
The interesting thing is, it requires minimal supervision.
- Supports in muscle development
- Self-feeding baby nibbler helps the baby to make it more interesting while chewing the fruits and vegetables
- Baby can swallow only small food particles from the food nibbler, thus avoiding choking
- Silicone mesh comes in two different sizes one suitable for four months and another for six months
- Additional safety is provided by including a safety lock which avoids spilling of food from the nibbler
- Easy to feed fruits to baby
- It can be sterilized and easy to clean
- Also, it serves the 2-in-1 purpose by massaging the teeth and storing the fruits
- Colour of the pacifier is very attractive also available in different colors
- Sticky texture after washes
4. Philips Avent 75154 Mini Orthodontic – Extra Airflow
It is a product that confuses your babies with the actual feeding bottle or nipple and makes them calm and relaxed. Philips Avent Mini Orthodontic pacifier is one of the best product which could be helpful during night time when your babies get cranky.
It provides a peaceful time for both babies and parents. Have a look at the features of this product.
- This pacifier is designed for babies of age group 0-6 years.
- It is an orthodontic product that prevents the misalignment of developing baby teeth, which may become a problem while sucking as they exert much pressure on gums and teeth.
- It comes with the symmetrical collapsible nipple.
- It is a user-friendly silicone nipple that is easy to be cleaned and easy to be maintained. It also does not get worn out easily.
- The snap-on protective cap prevents the pacifiers from getting infected and causing health problems for your kids.
- It also comes along with a security ring handle.
- It is helpful during night time when your babies get cranky and start crying.
- It is a little slippery on its surface, and the baby takes a little time to get a good latch on it.
5. Kassy Pop Baby Bite Pacifier – Great Grip
Kassy Pop products are well designed stylishly and fashionably as per the needs of the parents and children. The products are developed using organic material to enhance the joy.
Also, their products give extra comfort, style in maternity, childcare. A wide range of collections are included, like Stylish animal hooded baby towels, pacifiers, diaper covers, swaddle wrap, feeding spoon, etc.
The solid-introducing pacifier designed perfectly to enjoy the food more safely. Also, the feeder is easy to use, and your baby loves the taste and flavor of different fruits.
Your baby can simply chew, suck to get the juice out of it. A BPA-free feeder is very attractive to look at and enhances the curiosity of a baby.
- The feeder can be sterilized at a high-temperature but the time limit is restricted to only 3 minutes
- Also, the durability of the feeder is good as it is made from polypropylene and environmental silicone
- The handle of the pacifier/feeder is easy to grip, and your baby can hold it easily without any pain in handling
- Teat or silicone mesh bag which comes with the pacifier is easy to chew and suck
- Teat or mesh bag is made from soft silicone and promotes the growth of teeth and relieving gums and teeth ache
- Fruits and vegetables can be easily placed into the feeder to feed the baby
- The pacifier/feeder comes with a protective cap to keep the teat or mesh bag hygienic when not in use
- Moreover, the locking system is safe such that it will be difficult to open for baby
- Easy to feed fruits and veggies to your toddler
- Feeder-cum-pacifier quality is excellent
- Easy to clean and use the feeder
- Design, touch, and feel of the product is good
- Moreover, the product is available in different colors. So, you can choose the color which your baby loves
- No negative points observed so far.
6. Mee Mee Baby Pacifier with Orthodontic Nipple – Non-toxic pacifier
Mee Mee aims to make the journey of the mother more enjoyable with innovatively designed products. Also, their products are certified.
Mee Mee pacifiers aids in developing proper jaw shape and baby palate. Also, they are designed to prevent tongue thrush. Moreover, they reduce the teething phase discomfort.
Mee Mee pacifiers provide babies with oral stimulation.
- Soothes the cranky baby well
- Pacifier is made from BPA free, non-toxic silicone
- Babies feel easy to latch, and teat of the pacifier is soft and elastic
- The shield of the pacifier is protected from humidity, bacteria, and harmful germs
- Quality of the product, as well as the shape of the pacifier, is good
- Pacifier is worth for money
- Comfortable and easy to use
- Does not fit for few outgrown babies
7. Dr. Brown’s Timmy the Turtle Lovey with Blue One-Piece Silicone Pacifier – Animal pacifier
Dr.Brown’s products are BPA free, PVC free, and are more trusted products. They mainly focus on providing innovative baby care products to create healthy growth of babies.
They received numerous awards for their well-designed products. Moreover, their products are clinically tested.
The shape of Dr.Brown’s silicone pacifier has the same as the standard nipple to avoid confusion for the baby. They have a wide range of pacifiers, and also the pacifier soothes your baby when he or she is fussy.
- The pacifier is suited for three months and above the age
- Design of the pacifier is very attractive, interesting
- To attract the baby, the pacifier is attached to a turtle which is soft
- Also, the pacifier can be attached or detached as per your need.
- A durable snap holder is provided for convenient usage to hold the pacifier.
- The pacifier is made from a silicone material and is very safe to use
- Once you stop using the pacifier, your baby can play with the turtle.
- Baby sleeps well with this pacifier even at night time.
- It provides soothing comfort to the baby.
- It has a Patented Suction-Free Air Channel, which opens up as baby sucks for low-pressure comfort.
- The pacifier is easy to clean but should be done with hand only and then air dry
- The pacifier cannot be placed in the dishwasher for cleaning purpose
8. Buddsbuddy BB7039 Premium Pacifier – Perfect Oral Stimulation
Buddsbuddy aims to provide modern-kits for easy usage. For providing a quality product, they give special attention to manufacturing their products. Also, the products are made as per the standards, requirements, and budget.
Buddsbuddy pacifier comes with ribbon and clip to prevent falling from the baby hand. You can easily clip the pacifier to their dress. It provides a soothing effect while the baby is sleeping.
- The teat of the pacifier is made from hygienic silicone material
- Supports in the development of baby palate and jaw
- Holes are provided to the mouth shield for easy air circulation
- The pacifier is non-toxic and BPA free
- Also, it provides perfect oral stimulation to the baby
- Moreover, it prevents tongue thrush
- The pacifier comforts your baby during sleep and fussy
- Reduces the discomfort caused during the teething phase
- Product available in different colors and attractive design
- Easy to clean and use
- You can start using this pacifier when he/she attains two months
- Quality of the teat is good
- Ribbon quality may get damaged after many washes and usage
9. Baybee GoBanana Pacifier (Chocolate) – Orthodontic pacifier
Baybee products are certified and tested. Also, their products are designed based on the inputs given by the parents and scientific research.
Moreover, their products undergo a stringent test before the final packing. Also, their products meet the USA and European standards. Baybee products are in different categories, like baby care, baby furniture, toys.
GoBanana chocolate pacifier is ideal for both boys and girls. The pacifier is clinically designed and tested for easy to use.
The mouth shield of the pacifier has two holes for easy flow of air and thus avoid choking.
- Teat of the pacifier is made from silicone material
- Also, the pacifier is tested and complies with European standards
- Moreover, the BPA free pacifier is very attractive, and it is recommended for three months and more baby
- The pacifier is designed clinically to comfort the baby
- To keep the teat hygienic when not in use, a cap is provided to cover the teat
- Pacifier is easy to clean and does not require an additional technique to keep it clean
- Design, look and feel of the pacifier is attractive
- Teat of the pacifier is perfect, and baby latches it easily
- Also, the pacifier is available in three variants with an affordable price
- The handle of the pacifier is made from plastic which is not safer to use in the long run
- Pacifier may be small for large-mouthed babies
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is an orthodontic pacifier?
The orthodontic pacifiers are used to prevent the misalignment of growing teeth. It has a nipple that is flattened from the bottom and rounded on the top.
They flatten in the baby’s mouth during sucking just like the mother’s nipple, which provides the best sucking action without exerting much pressure on the gums and teeth.
2. Are Silicone or Latex Pacifiers Better?
Latex pacifiers are flexible and softer as compared to silicone pacifiers. They are even bite-resistant, which makes them more useful for babies.
They even trap odors. Silicone, on the other hand, does not trap odor, but it is much easier to be cleaned. The only feature that makes silicone better than latex is, they do not get worn out easily.
Otherwise, latex pacifiers are a better option for babies.
3. Do All Babies Like Pacifiers?
All babies love sucking as they remind them of the womb. Sucking is one of the 5 S of womb sensation. It makes your baby calm and relaxed.
So, buying a pacifier for your baby would be one of the best options to prevent them from crying over again.
4. Which pacifier is best for teeth?
Buddsbuddy BB7039 Premium Pacifier is the best pacifier for teeth.
Thus before buying a pacifier check, does your baby want the pacifier or not? If your baby needs a pacifier, he/she will be sucking thumbs or fingers or even sometimes just latch to the mother’s breast but doesn’t suck the milk.
Sometimes a baby may also be sucking the corner of the toys or small toys that provide comfort to them.
Every pacifier we mentioned has its specified features. If you like any of the pacifiers and planning to buy them, then simply click on them to reach the site.
Hope this article has washed out your confusion regarding pacifiers and made you understand different types of pacifiers easily.