10 Best Pacifiers For Your Baby
All babies are wired to have a natural urge to suck. They meet this need by way of breastfeeding or bottle-feeding. However, some babies get hooked to comfort and relaxation in sucking even after their tummy is full. A baby pacifier calms such babies magically.
If your baby is not used to sucking his thumb or fingers, then a baby pacifier works wonders in comforting him and pacifies his crying whenever the baby has a strong desire to suck. It makes babies feel secure and relaxes them.
With a baby pacifier, a baby learns to self-soothe and controls his feelings. It calms your baby and reduces his fuss factor if your baby has trouble sleeping at bedtime or if he is finicky.
Top 10 Best Pacifiers for Your Baby in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Perfect Oral Stimulation
Pro and Cons of Pacifiers
- Pacifiers may help to make your baby fall asleep by relaxing
- It provides a good soothing effect
- Also, using a pacifier at nap time or night time can reduce the chances of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Pacifier calms down the baby if the baby is fussy
- Moreover, pacifier usage can be stopped, but thumb sucking cannot be stopped
- Pacifier will provide a great soothing effect on your baby
- A crying baby can be calmed down quickly with a pacifier
- Offering your baby a pacifier during a blood test or shots can make the work easy
- Early use of a pacifier may affect the nursing cycle. As sucking will be different and hence many suggest to offer a pacifier when the baby is not hungry
- Many dentists say that sometimes on regular pacifier usage, imperfect teeth are observed
- Also, a jaw problem and other dental problems may be observed
- Pacifier may also cause an ear infection if used for a more extended period
When Should a Pacifier Be Replaced
Pacifiers are not expensive, so you can replace them whenever you find it to be done. Proper maintenance of pacifiers can be used in the long run.
However, every pacifier comes with age, that means pacifiers can be used for particularly aged babies only. It is mandatory to check the age mentioned before buying the pacifier.
Always replace the pacifier whenever a tear or hole, or crack is observed. In many cases, the continuous usage of the pacifier may get damaged quickly. Also, replace the pacifier if the teat gets stretched or changes its colour.
It is best to replace the pacifier whenever you find it sticky, even after thoroughly washing it with hot water.
Moreover, if you find the handle or mouth shield is cracked, it is advisable to replace the pacifier with new ones. So, it is a good option to check the pacifiers regularly before offering it to your baby.
Finally, it is best to make your baby or toddler stop using a pacifier when they are grown. It will be a difficult task for parents to make toddlers get rid of pacifiers.
Eventually, it is the responsibility of parents to make their toddlers stop using pacifiers.
Do’s and Don’ts of Pacifiers
- Do talk to the paediatrician before offering your baby a pacifier.
- Never offer a pacifier to your baby when they are hungry and need to breastfeed.
- Do clean the pacifier regularly before offering them. If you sterilize the pacifier, ensure it is cool and ready to be used.
- Don’t offer the pacifier which has tears or cracks, or the handle is broken.
- Always do ensure that the handle and mouth shield is large enough, and the baby doesn’t swallow them by mistake.
- Don’t’ allow your baby to chew the pacifier.
- Also, don’t allow your baby with a pacifier for a longer time.
- Don’t’ dip the pacifier in sugar or honey; this may damage their teeth.
- Homemade pacifiers are not recommended.
- Moreover, pacifiers must not be tied to your baby’s neck.
- Always cover the pacifier when not in use or while travelling from one place to another place.
- Don’t offer the pacifier to an underweight baby.
- Don’t make it a compulsion for your baby to use a pacifier.
Tips on Using Baby Pacifiers
- Always offer a clean pacifier to your baby.
- Avoid offering pacifiers forcibly.
- Use a correct pacifier as per your baby age.
- Use the pacifier for a limited period while napping or at bedtime.
- Avoid tieing the pacifier to the neck.
- Try to stop the pacifier usage when the correct age is attained.
- On top of all, never use a pacifier, which does not fit the standards and is made from low quality plastic.
How to Clean Baby Pacifiers?
Babies keep the pacifiers in the mouth. Hence, they must be cleaned properly. Using uncleaned pacifiers may result in inviting infection, germs in the mouth.
Perhaps it is advisable to always clean the pacifier before giving it to your baby.
Always rinse the pacifier with soap water thoroughly and wash it with hot water. Some pacifiers are advised to be boiled before use.
If your baby places the pacifier on the floor, wash the pacifier with hot water before giving it to them. Ensure that you have another pacifier spare.
Also, some pacifiers are dishwasher safe, so you can simply put them in the dishwasher. It is highly recommended to sterilize the pacifier every time before you offer it to your baby.
Once you sterilize the pacifier, allow it to cool completely and then give it to your baby.
Types of Pacifiers
Choosing a pacifier will be hard as a pacifier for a newborn will not be the same for a two-year toddler. Pacifiers are designed for different aged babies. Moreover, we have different types of pacifiers available in the market.
We have mentioned below the different types of pacifiers.
Round tip pacifiers are considered the traditional kind of pacifier. The tip of the pacifiers is round.
Moreover, these kinds of pacifiers avoid nipple confusion, and hence they are advised for breastfeed babies.
Pacifiers with silicone material nipples are called silicone pacifiers and are easily available.
Also, they are easy to clean and are dishwasher safe. They can also be used in the long run. However, one must keep replacing these pacifiers.
Moreover, silicone pacifiers newborns to 3-year toddlers. Silicone pacifiers are easy to clean and less prone to odour. Also, they are transparent in colour and longlasting.
The nipple of the pacifiers is made from latex material. They are considered smooth pacifiers. Also, latex pacifiers are flexible and soft.
Due to the softness, teethed babies can easily bite the teat and tear them. Some babies are allergic to latex pacifiers, so stop using if you find any such allergic reactions.
Usually, they are not considered dishwasher safe. Also, they are in yellow or brown colour, and the colour becomes darker on regular usage.
One-piece pacifiers are made from a single piece of silicone or fine plastic, or latex. Usually, the nipple, ring/mouth shield, and handle are made only from a single piece. Also, they are considered safer to use as it reduces the choking risk.
A multiple-piece pacifier is the most available and common pacifier in the market. The pacifier is made from three different pieces or two different pieces or sometimes even four separate pieces and clubbed together as a pacifier.
For example, the teat may be from silicone material, while the ring and handle may be from a plastic material. Here, each part is manufactured separately and then combined into the shape of the pacifier.
Orthodontic baby pacifiers
Orthodontic pacifiers are uniquely shaped, and doctors prefer this type of pacifier as it avoids dental problems in toddlers. The tip of the teat is not round and is flattened shaped and help significantly in sucking.
Moreover, using pacifiers enhances jaw development. Also, sucking this pacifier reduces pressure on gums.
Glow in the dark
Glow in the dark pacifiers is easy to find at night time when the baby drops the pacifier. Moreover, it provides a soft light that helps while a baby is sleeping.
It has all the features of pacifiers and work similar to standard pacifiers but with extra light. They are available in plenty of colours.
Feeding pacifiers are best when babies start to teeth. You can place either a juice or piece of fruit in the pacifier, and whenever your baby chews the pacifier, they can enjoy the flavour and taste of the fruit or juice.
Novelty pacifiers are the funniest pacifiers and are for entertainment purposes. You can use this pacifier as per the costume of your baby at some parties to look attractive.
Wide varieties are available in like crooked teeth, moustache, beautiful lips, etc. They bring a smile to your face while you look at your baby.
The bright, attractive pacifiers will be favourite pacifiers for your baby. Animal pacifiers are designed innovatively to attract babies.
We can find many varieties of baby pacifiers in the shape of monkey, elephant, lion, turtle, etc. The teat and ring parts are attached to soft animals, which can also be used to play.
Many parents don’t choose them as they are not easy to use.
Guide to Choose the Best pacifier
It is the first thing to see while buying a pacifier your baby must be comfortable using the pacifier. Some babies feel comfortable using orthodontic pacifiers, and others feel comfortable using round-shaped pacifiers.
If any pacifiers irritate your baby stop using them and buy a different one.
Pacifiers that are BPA free come in the long run and are safer to use. Also, make sure that pacifiers are BPA free as few brands may simply mention the pacifier as BPA free, but they are not.
Type of pacifier
We have seen at the beginning of the article, various types of pacifiers are available in the market. Every baby prefers a different kind of pacifier.
If your older baby prefers a feeder pacifier, your younger one may prefer glow in the dark pacifier.
Choose the pacifier which attracts your baby and makes comfortable to use. Experiment with two different styles and stick to one. Babies are more concerned about the colour of the pacifier.
Size of the pacifier
It usually depends on the requirement of a baby. A newborn’s pacifier does not fit for a toddler who is 2+ years old. Also, many pacifiers mention the suggested age for the pacifier.
Hence, before buying a pacifier, cross-check the age of your baby matches the pacifier.
The shape of a teat
Usually, teat of the pacifiers comes in different forms – cherry, round tip, orthodontic. The round tip shape is considered the traditional one, while the orthodontic shaped teat is flat at the tip. Moreover, orthodontic teat avoids nipple confusion.
Before buying a pacifier, look at which material is used to prepare the teat as they are either made of latex/silicone. If you prefer silicone material, choose silicone-based pacifiers.
Some parents consider latex pacifiers may cause some allergic reactions. However, it purely depends on your baby preference.
Easy to clean
It is an important thing to check while buying a pacifier. Every pacifier comes in different shapes and sizes. Newborn baby pacifiers are tiny and need more effort to clean.
Some pacifiers are dishwasher safe, so choose them if you are not sure if you can clean the pacifier by hand appropriately. Sterilize them before use.
The pacifier’s durability is important as you do not want a pacifier whose teat gets damaged quickly. Ensure that pacifier comes with good durability.
Babies are more creative, and if they start playing with the pacifier instead of placing it in the mouth, they may harm themselves. Make sure you choose the right shield with ventilation.
Bright coloured pacifiers are easily visible when your baby drops them on the floor while playing than a light-coloured pacifier. Also, bright-coloured pacifiers are attractive, and they prefer it more.
Every pacifier is disposable, and you can easily throw them away after your baby no longer uses it or if it gets broken.
1. Philips Glow in the Dark Night Pacifier
Philips India Limited is the subsidiary of a leading health technology company, Netherlands, Royal Philips. Philips has a wide range of personal care products, sound and vision products, baby products.
Baby products include pacifiers, warmers, sterilizers, bottles, and nipples.
Philips Avent Glow in the night pacifier comes with an odour-free silicone teat. Also, the teat is collapsible and supports in oral development of the baby.
To keep the sterilized teat hygienic, the pacifier comes with a snap-on cap.
- Philips Avent pacifiers are odour-free and made from silicone
- The orthodontic teat helps in the natural growth of gums, teeth, and jaws
- These pacifiers are developed for newborn babies
- Small and lightweight shield of pacifiers allow easy flow of air and prevent saliva build-up
- It is hygienic and can be sterilized
- Glows perfectly at night
- Nice product baby sleeps easily
- Moreover, the nipple of the pacifier is soft
- The pacifier can easily be cleaned.
- The teat is transparent, smooth and strong
- The handle of the pacifier can be improved more as it is not strong enough
2. LuvLap Pacifier
Luvlap Fruit and Food Nibbler is made up of silicone, and it serves as an excellent teething toy for providing gentle relief to gums. It is an ideal nibbler for introducing vegetables and fruits to your babies while using it as a teether.
You can also fill this nibbler or pacifier with chilled fruits or vegetables for providing extra comfort and relief for the babies. It features an ergonomic design that makes it convenient to hold and nibble upon.
- It is a safe and non-toxic nibbler that is manufactured using BPA-free and food-grade plastic
- It is prepared from a soft silicone sack that provides quick and easy filling with fruit or vegetables
- It features a mesh design that makes it easy for the baby to chew and suck tiny food particles
- It comes with an attractive handle that keeps your baby engaged in fun-filled entertainment
- It offers excellent oral stimulation and provides relief for teething gums
- It features a protective cover that helps in keeping food clean and hygienic
- It is suitable for kids aged 10 months and up
- It is a lightweight nibbler that weighs only 60 grams
- This baby nibbler has a carefully designed and sturdy snap-lock that prevents accidental leaking or spillage
- The leak-proof closure with a snap-lock ensures that your kids cannot open it easily. It provides hygienic and mess-free feeding for your kids
- It comes with an attractive handle design with a bunny shape for keeping your baby entertained
- This nibble is convenient to clean and sterilize
- The nipple colour changes to yellowish from transparent
3. Philips Infant Pacifier
Philips Avent has been at the forefront of designing and manufacturing products backed by its extensive clinical and research trials since 1884. Its impressive range of products includes toddler feeding, baby monitors, bottle feeding, breastfeeding, etc.
Philips Avent Classic Night time pacifier is an excellent product for comforting your baby if he has trouble sleeping during bedtime. It features a glowing handle that glows brightly in the dark for easy finding at night.
- This baby pacifier is suitable for babies in the age group of 0 to 6 months
- It features an orthodontic, collapsible nipple that is designed for the healthy and natural oral development of your baby’s gums and teeth
- The flat and drop-shape nipple is designed according to the shape of your baby’s palate
- It is a BPA-free pacifier that is safe for your baby
- It is an easy-to-sterilize pacifier that can be boiled or sterilized within 5 minutes
- The pacifier and its snap-on hygienic cap are dishwasher safe and hence provide easy cleaning
- It is prepared from odourless and taste-free silicone that provides enhanced durability and long-lasting usage
- The package comprises 2 glow-in-the-dark nighttime pacifiers along with 2 snap-on pacifier caps
- The nipple takes care of the baby’s palate irrespective of the position of the pacifier in the mouth
- The durable and strong silicone nipple shows resistance against being discolouration, sticky, shape-distortion
- This pacifier comes with a secure glow-in-the-dark handle that makes it easy for babies to accept it
- It has a security ring that ensures fast retrieval or removal. It provides easy grasping for your baby
- It is a little bit expensive
4. U-Grow Baby Pacifier
U-grow baby pacifier comes in attractive colours that engage your babies in extreme comfort and calmness. It works great in pacifying fussy babies. It makes babies fall asleep quickly by effectively treating their sucking needs.
This pacifier is a must-have product for any new parents. It comes in a pack of two silicone pacifiers. It is a durable pacifier that maintains its shape and colour for long periods.
- This pacifier is designed as per the orthodontic shape of babies
- It is prepared from 100 percent premium quality and soft silicone
- It is a BPA-free and non-toxic pacifier that is absolutely safe for babies
- It features a protective hood that covers the nipple when not used
- The orthodontic shape flow is suitable for babies in the age group of 6-18 months
- It helps in reducing the risks associated with SIDS
- This pacifier helps your babies to develop the habit out of their natural sucking reflex
- It generates a calming influence on your babies to make them asleep faster
- It does not feature a protective cover
5. Fisher-Price Nibbler
Fisher-Price is an American company fisher price that produces toys for infants and children. Fisher-Price is the subsidiary of Mattel. They have a wide range of collection of products like educational toys, pacifiers, rockers, etc.
Self-feeding food nibbler creates curiosity among babies. It has a great feature of feeding and storing vegetables and fruits. Moreover, it allows eating the fruit in small pieces to avoid choking.
- Supports in muscle development
- Self-feeding baby nibbler helps the baby to make it more interesting while chewing fruits and vegetables
- Babies can swallow only small food particles from the food nibbler, thus avoiding choking
- Silicone mesh comes in two different sizes one suitable for four months and another for six months
- Additional safety is provided by including a safety lock which avoids spilling food from the nibbler
- Easy to feed fruits to your baby
- It can be sterilized and easy to clean
- Also, it serves the 2-in-1 purpose by massaging the teeth and storing the fruits
- Colour of the pacifier is very attractive also available in different colours
- Sticky texture after some washes
6. Philips Mini Orthodontic Pacifier
It is a product that confuses your babies with the actual feeding bottle or nipple and makes them calm and relaxed. Philips Avent Mini Orthodontic pacifier is one of the best products which could be helpful during night time when your babies get cranky.
It provides a peaceful time for both babies and parents. Have a look at the features of this product.
- This pacifier is designed for babies of age group 0-6 years
- It is an orthodontic product that prevents the misalignment of developing baby teeth, which may become a problem while sucking as they exert much pressure on gums and teeth
- It comes with the symmetrical collapsible nipple
- It is a user-friendly silicone nipple that is easy to be cleaned and easy to be maintained. It also does not get worn out easily
- The snap-on protective cap prevents the pacifiers from getting infected and causing health problems for your kids
- It also comes along with a security ring handle
- It is helpful during night time when your babies get cranky and start crying
- The surface is a little slippery
7. Kassy Pop Pacifier
Kassy Pop products are well designed, stylishly and fashionably as per the parents and children’s needs. The products are developed using organic material to enhance the joy.
Also, their products give extra comfort, style in maternity, childcare. A wide range of collections are included, like stylish animal hooded baby towels, pacifiers, diaper covers, swaddle wrap, feeding spoon, etc.
This solid pacifier is designed perfectly to enjoy the food more safely. Also, the feeder is easy to use, and your baby will love the taste and flavour of different fruits.
Your baby can simply chew, suck to get the juice out of it. A BPA-free feeder is very attractive to look at and enhances the curiosity of your baby.
- The feeder can be sterilized at a high-temperature but the time limit is restricted to only 3 minutes
- Also, the durability of the feeder is good as it is made from polypropylene and environmental silicone
- The handle of the pacifier/feeder is easy to grip, and your baby can hold it easily without any pain in handling
- Teat or silicone mesh bag which comes with the pacifier is easy to chew and suck
- Teat or mesh bag is made from soft silicone and promotes the growth of teeth and relieving gums and teeth ache
- Fruits and vegetables can be easily placed into the feeder to feed the baby
- The pacifier/feeder comes with a protective cap to keep the teat or mesh bag hygienic when not in use
- Moreover, the locking system is safe such that it will be difficult for your baby to open
- Easy to feed fruits and veggies to your toddler
- Feeder-cum-pacifier quality is excellent
- Easy to clean and use the feeder
- Design, touch, and feel of the product is good
- The product is available in different colours
- The shape could be more comfortable
8. Mee Mee Baby Pacifier
Mee Mee aims to make the journey of the mother more enjoyable with innovatively designed products. Also, their products are certified.
Moreover, their products include different categories like feeding, skin and oral care, travel, maternity, toys, footwear, and apparel.
Mee Mee pacifiers aids in developing proper jaw shape and baby palate. Also, they are designed to prevent tongue thrush. Moreover, they reduce the teething phase discomfort.
Mee Mee pacifiers provide babies with oral stimulation.
- Soothes cranky babies
- Pacifier is made from BPA free, non-toxic silicone
- Babies find it easy to latch, and the teat of the pacifier is soft and elastic
- The shield of the pacifier is protected from humidity, bacteria, and harmful germs
- Quality of the product, as well as the shape of the pacifier, is good
- Pacifier is worth for money
- Comfortable and easy to use
- Does not last for growing babies
9. Dr. Brown’s Animal Pacifier
Dr Brown’s products are BPA free, PVC free, and are more trusted products. They mainly focus on providing innovative baby care products to create healthy growth for babies.
They have received numerous awards for their well-designed products. Moreover, their products are clinically tested.
The shape of Dr Brown’s silicone pacifier has the same as the standard nipple to avoid confusion for the baby. They have a wide range of pacifiers, and also, the pacifier soothes your baby when he or she is fussy.
- The pacifier is suited for three months and above
- Design of the pacifier is very attractive and interesting
- To attract the baby, the pacifier is attached to a soft toy turtle
- A durable snap holder is provided for convenient usage to hold the pacifier
- The pacifier is made from a silicone material and is very safe to use
- Once they stop using the pacifier, your baby can play with the turtle
- Baby sleeps well with this pacifier even at night time
- It provides soothing comfort to the baby
- It has a Patented Suction-Free Air Channel, which opens up as baby sucks for low-pressure comfort
- The pacifier can be attached or detached as per your need
- The pacifier cannot be placed in the dishwasher for cleaning purpose
10. Buddsbuddy Pacifier
Buddsbuddy aims to provide modern-kits for easy usage. For providing a quality product, they give special attention to manufacturing their products. Also, the products are made as per the standards, requirements, and budget.
Buddsbuddy pacifier comes with a ribbon and clip to prevent it from falling from the baby’s hand. You can easily clip the pacifier to their dress. It provides a soothing effect while the baby is sleeping.
- The teat of the pacifier is made from hygienic silicone material
- Supports in the development of baby palate and jaw
- Holes are provided to the mouth shield for easy air circulation
- The pacifier is non-toxic and BPA free
- Also, it provides perfect oral stimulation to the baby
- The pacifier comforts your baby during sleep and fussy
- Reduces the discomfort caused during the teething phase
- Product available in different colours and attractive design
- Easy to clean and use
- You can start using this pacifier when he/she attains two months
- Quality of the teat is good
- Ribbon quality may get damaged after many washes and usage
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is an orthodontic pacifier?
The orthodontic pacifiers are used to prevent the misalignment of growing teeth. It has a nipple that is flattened from the bottom and rounded on the top.
They flatten in the baby’s mouth during sucking, just like the mother’s nipple, which provides the best sucking action without exerting much pressure on the gums and teeth.
2. Are silicone or latex pacifiers better?
Latex pacifiers are flexible and softer as compared to silicone pacifiers. They are even bite-resistant, which makes them more useful for babies. They even trap odours.
On the other hand, silicone pacifiers do not trap odour but are much easier to be cleaned. The only feature that makes silicone better than latex is, they do not get worn out easily.
Otherwise, latex pacifiers are a better option for babies.
3. Do all babies like pacifiers?
Yes. All babies love sucking as they remind them of the womb. Sucking is one of the 5 S of womb sensation. It makes your baby calm and relaxed.
So, buying a pacifier for your baby would be one of the best options to prevent them from crying over again.
A baby pacifier is the next best thing to a baby other than his mom for quickly comforting him and preventing his crying. It also helps to distract your baby while getting him injected at the doctor’s clinic.
It might come as a surprise, but your baby pacifier can also save your baby’s life by decreasing the risks of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
When your baby sucks on the pacifier, it opens up the air space around the nose and mouth resulting in increased oxygen supply.
A baby pacifier is your ideal parenting partner for calming your baby at naptime and bedtime. It helps you to put your baby to sleep faster. Get your baby a high-quality pacifier that promises a world of comfort and goodness to him.