Best Baby Bathing Products
Don’t we all just love the sweet smell of babies after a bath? They are delicate darlings and it is important to keep those little toes and fingers squeaky clean. Since their skin is soft and prone to reactions, special bathing products need to be used.
There’s nothing that will make your baby feel more relaxed than a soak in the bathtub. Bathing your baby can be a lot of fun but to a new parent, a nightmare.
There is a whole range of products made specially to bathe your babies. It can be quite daunting to select the right product for your baby’s healthcare but our guide will help you out.
To give your baby a proper bath, you need to equip yourself with the right items. First of all, you should get the essential products you’ll require when washing your baby such as a bathtub, bathing soap or shampoo, bath thermometer, washcloth, bath toys among others. Get these items early enough to avoid last minutes’ rush which might make you get low-quality products.
This article will give you a guide on how to wash a baby. You will also learn of the things to look out for when looking for baby bathing products, safety tips as well as the procedure to follow when bathing your little angel, and the baby bathing essential products. The guide also contains Top 11 recommended products you can consider getting for your baby and FAQ’s.
Top 11 Baby Bath Products in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Best moisturizing baby wash
Great design for Eye Protection
Best affordable baby shampoo
Best baby bath seat
Best Baby bathing tub
Best baby washcloths
Best baby natural shampoo
Best natural baby wash
Best baby towel
Best baby bath thermometer
How to bathe your baby
Set the washing station and ensure that there aren’t any sharp or hard things that can cause injury to your little one. Also, make sure that your baby’s head is positioned away from the faucet. If possible, get a faucet cover for your baby’s safety.
The temperature of the bathwater should be lukewarm. Always check the water before using it for bathing your little one.
Look for a mild, tear-free soap that can be used both on your baby’s hair and body. The soap should not be too strong or harsh, and utmost care should be taken to ensure that the soapy water does not enter your baby’s eyes.
The baby should be cradled with one hand while you undress them. All the body parts should be cleaned one by one, gently and delicately.
Do not use too much soap or apply more pressure than necessary. Make sure to wipe your baby dry properly, to prevent them from catching a cold.
Bath Set up
Ensure that you have the following things nearby when washing your baby;
Keep a few towels handy, one to carefully dry out all the folds and the other to wrap your baby in. To get your baby dry, gently pat them and avoid rubbing vigorously.
Ensure that you have a clean diaper to put on your baby after bathing. You do not want your baby to mess themselves up after you’ve just bathed him/her. Elongated use of diapers can cause rashes, so use a good diaper rash cream.
Kids love lotion massages after a bath. A gentle massage with lotion after a good bath will put them in deep sleep.
- The water temperature should be ideal, in the lukewarm range.
- The tub should not be filled to a height more than your baby’s waist.
- The baby should be placed away from the faucet.
- With all the splashing and pouring of water around the tub, you need to get a non-slip mat and also ensure that you wipe the spills to avoid tripping off.
- At no time should you leave your baby unattended when in the bathtub.
Baby Bathing Essentials and Buying Guide
Let’s check the best baby bathing products in India and that you need for your baby to stay safe and protected. We have also included a few features to look out for when buying these products.
Babies can’t be bathed in the normal bathtubs. They need special bathtubs that cater to their small size. A small tub for your baby will make work easier for you, and it’s also safe for your child. You can also choose to go for a mat since these are less slippery than bathtubs.
Smooth overhanging rim
A tub with a smooth overhanging rim will make it easier for you to pick your baby from the tub without the worry of her getting injuries from scratches.
Can you imagine carrying a tub full of water to drain? That’s one difficult task. To avoid going under such an experience, look for a bathtub with a drain plug.
Using a baby bath seat when cleaning your baby will help you a great deal especially if you are a new parent. It will take away the fear of cleaning your little one for the first time. The seat supports the baby’s back and head making him stay put.
Gentle soap, shampoo, and lotion
Babies have very delicate and sensitive skins, and therefore you need to get the best baby soap in India as well as shampoos that are free of chemicals. You do not want your little one to suffer from skin irritation and allergic reactions. The soap you use for the little one should also be tear-free.
Baby soap ingredients to avoid:
Triclosan and Triclocarban- the chemicals are mostly found in anti-bacterial soaps and associated with liver problems and inhalation toxicity.
Phthalates and Parabens-You’ll find most of these chemicals in cosmetics and skincare products. They are classified as highly toxic and disrupt hormonal systems.
Diethanolamine, Monoethanolamine, tri-ethanolamine- DEA, MEA, and TEA are hormone-disrupting chemicals known to cause liver and kidney damage. These ingredients also cause cancer.
Fragrance-Most parents go for soaps with fragrance but what they fail to know is that the chemical can cause allergic reactions to the skin and lung irritation.
Retinyl Palmitate-The chemical causes biochemical and cellular level changes. It’s also toxic to the human reproductive system.
DMDM Hydantoin-This chemical causes chest pain, dizziness, ear pain, headaches, and chronic fatigue.
Sodium Laureth Sulphate and Sodium Lauryl Sulphate– These harmful and toxic substances cause skin irritation and also irritation around the eyes.
Polyethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol-PEG strips off the protective oils on a baby’s skin and hair making him vulnerable to toxins. Propylene Glycol, on the other hand, is linked to the brain, kidney, and liver abnormalities.
Most baby soaps and shampoos contain these chemicals, and you can’t tell unless you go through the ingredients’ list. Ensure that you check the list if you care about your baby’s health and wellbeing.
To wipe clean your newborn, you’ll have to use a soft sponge for the fast few days. A small washcloth with smooth scrubbers on it is helpful since kids get messy and dirty and you’ll need something more than just your hands.
Cup for rinsing
As your baby continues to grow, their hair gets thicker. Some kids even have thick hair at birth and rinsing the hair clean after may be quite a difficult task if using your bare hands. That’s why you need a rinsing cup. The cup will help you rinse off the soap with a lot of ease. You can use a plastic cup of your choice.
Look out for the following when purchasing a rinsing cup for your little one
If you want to rinse your baby’s hair effectively, do not go for a small rinsing cup. It should also not be too big to hold a lot of water making it difficult for you to lift. The best cup to go for is one that holds just the right amount of water, enough to rinse your baby’s hair with ease and with only a few water scoops.
You need to remember that a rinsing cup will hold water to rinse your little ones’ hair. You, therefore, need to go for a very lightweight cup so that even after adding water to it, it’ll still not be too heavy for you to use effectively.
Ensure that you get a cup that lasts for a long time to save on money. You also don’t have to go for an expensive one when you can get a high-quality one at a low price.
After bathing your baby, which should take the least time possible, you need to wrap them in a towel as this will help them keep warm.
Hooded baby towels are the best since they help cover your baby’s head protect them from catching a cold. Most kid’s towels have beautiful patterns and colors, and you’ll have to do is select one that you feel your baby requires first.
Most towels have cotton and flannel fabrics which work the best. If money isn’t a big deal to you, you can use more exotic ones like bamboo.
A bath towel should hold well without pilling even after vigorous washes. Pilling can make fabrics rough, something that you do not want to happen.
Also, look for fabrics that come tightly knit as these won’t pill with ease. Get such a fabric if too do not spend your money from time to time purchasing washcloths for your baby.
Always get a washcloth or towel that absorbs the water off your baby’s skin without applying pressure.
Having a few bath toys for your little one makes bathing time more fun. You’ll need these toys especially if your baby starts crying immediately after you place him/her in a bathtub. The toys will keep them engaged, and keep them distracted while bathing.
Look out for the following when getting your baby bath toys.
Get toys that your baby can use in the tub safely without putting her health at risk. The toys shouldn’t have smaller parts that your baby can swallow or strings that can strangle her.
Toys that your baby can use to splash water with are much fun and will keep him engaged enabling you to wash him with ease.
Get bath toys that are light in weight. You do not want your baby to have difficulty trying to lift them when playing with the water in the tub.
Purchase toys that will last for long for your baby. You do not want to keep on spending money on the same items from time to time. Get ones that your baby will use until that time they need toys to enjoy a bath no more.
A spout cover will help avoid accidents during bath time as it prevents head injuries. It covers the hard metal and sharp edges.
Always go for a softcover that sticks firmly. If you can get a spout tub with a thermometer the better as it will save you from buying a separate bath thermometer.
Before you place your baby in a tub, you need to ascertain that the temperature of the water isn’t too hot or cold. Water that feels warm to you might be too hot for your baby. To get the right water temperature for your baby’s birth, get a thermometer.
Go for a thermometer made of heat resistant materials. You do not want to dip it in water, and it starts melting. The thermometer should also not break after using it in hot water.
Go for a waterproof thermometer if you want to use it for a long time. Such a thermometer won’t get destroyed even if it fell in a tub full of water.
Purchase a thermometer that lasts for a long time. You can even pass it to other siblings. Such a thermometer will save you a great deal.
Baby Shower Cap
A shower cap will help to protect your baby’s eyes from water and soap when you clean their head and hair. It allows your baby to breathe freely and provides a sense of protection.
1. Himalaya Gentle Baby Bath – Best moisturizing baby wash
Gentle Baby Bath from Himalaya is one of the best body wash to bathe your baby. You can use the body wash to clean your baby from head to toe without subjecting their skin to irritation.
The formula contains Chickpea that helps in cleansing and soothing your baby’s skin, fenugreek, and green gram that moisturizes kids’ delicate skin and scalp. It makes their skin soft and supple at the same time.
This soap is also free from parabens, SLS/SLES, synthetic colors meaning that it’s safe for your baby’s skin. It is mild on kids’ scalp and will never irritate the eyes.
It also hydrates your baby’s skin and keeps his skin protected from infections and dandruff.
- Contains herbs that help in moisturizing your baby’s skin at all times
- Cleanses your baby’s body with ease leaving the skin soft and supple
- The formula keeps skin infections and dandruff at bay
- Helps to treat skin problems
- Nourishes the skin leaving it soft at all times
- Helps to clean your baby’s skin gently
- Kid’s skin may become dry after using this product
2. Ruby Eva Foam Baby Bath Shower Cap
This shower cap for babies is made from soft and flexible materials. It has no hard surfaces or edges that can harm your baby. It is made from a delicate foam material that is foldable, so your baby can play with it without any harm.
The grooves and contoured design makes the waterfall away from the baby’s face and protect their eyes. This also prevents clogged breathing due to water running over their faces.
- Comfortable fit for any size
- Ultra soft material with good elasticity
- Attractive color that will entice the baby
- Playful design
- Simple and easy to use design
- It has a long life is used properly
- The quality of the material could be better
3. Mother Sparsh Plant Powered Natural Baby Wash –
Plant-powered natural baby wash is an innovative plant-based natural baby wash by Mother Sparsh. It comprises a potent blend of organic herbs and essential oils that provide tear-free care from the first day of usage.
Due to its plant-based properties, this baby wash provides immense relaxation and -calmness for the sensitive baby’s skin.
As it is packed with the goodness of essential oils like avocado oil, chamomile oil, calendula oil, and grape seed oil, it boosts the natural glow of the skin and treats many skin ailments.
- A botanical blend of natural ingredients including essential oils, plant extracts, and organic herbs for taking great care of the baby’s skin
- It contains coconut oil that provides gentle and mild cleaning for enhanced safety of the baby’s skin
- The presence of chamomile oil in this mix ensures calming effect and anti-inflammatory action on the delicate skin of babies
- Formulated with avocado oil that serves as an active moisturizing agent and provides effective protection against harsh sun rays
- Designed for providing optimal care of the folds on the tender skin of babies
- Safe baby wash for babies as it is free from allergens and harsh chemicals like parabens, dyes, silicon, formaldehyde, SLS, and SLES
- A purest natural formulation that is suitable for daily usage and provides perfect cleaning of delicate and soft skin of babies
- Packed with aromatic fragrances of essential oils
- Baby wash that is packed with natural elements for ensuring gentle cleansing of sensitive baby’s skin throughout the body
- A mild and pleasing fragrance that is loved by both baby and mother
- It contains natural herbs with skin-soothing properties that ensure calming comfort for babies
- Skin-friendly baby wash that is readily accepted by baby’s soft skin
- It comes in an attractive packing with pump-mechanism for avoiding the wastage
- Produces rich lather for effective cleaning
- No negative points were observed.
4. Johnson’s Baby No More Tear Shampoo – Best affordable baby shampoo
This is a good baby shampoo that will help you keep your baby’s hair healthy and smooth at all times. With it, you won’t have to buy any other soap to use on your kid’s hair. It doesn’t sting the eyes or irritate the skin making it safe to use on your baby.
Most doctors recommend parents to use the shampoo as it is mild and delicate on kids’ skin. It is also hypoallergenic and won’t expose your child to any allergic reactions. The shampoo passes a thorough 5 level safety assurance process.
The shampoo is free of soap and makes it easy for you to rinse your kid’s hair. It also has antifungal and antibacterial properties that protect your baby from allergies and infections.
- Tear-free and thus won’t irritate your baby’s eyes
- Recommended by doctors and thus safe to use on your baby
- Gentle on your baby’s skin and eyes
- Makes hair shiny and smooth
- Very gentle on hair
- Reasonably priced
- Easy to use
- The shampoo is a little watery consistency
5. Luvlap Pink Ocean Compact Baby Bather – Best baby bath seat
If you have a newborn baby and having difficulties trying to bathe them, this bath chair will make the process easy. With it, bathing your baby becomes a lot more fun.
The seat lasts for a very long time since it is made from very high-quality materials. It has a solid base and will provide excellent support to your baby. You will have an easy time bathing your young one.
The seat has soft molded feet that prevent it from slipping. It also has a mesh sling that puts the baby at ease when taking a bath. You can also clean it with ease since it’s machine washable.
- Has three recline positions for comfort and that also makes it easy for you to wash your baby.
- Has a solid base that provides proper support.
- Padded footrests and headrest for comfort.
- Foldable and easy to carry around to your convenience
- Makes it easy for you to bathe the baby
- Makes baby bathing fun
- Good for kids who can’t sit properly
- Very easy to clean
- Lacks proper side protection
6. Baybee Divo Bathtub for Newborn Baby – Best Baby bathing tub
If you are looking for a baby bathing tub that will last long and keep your baby safe during the bathing process, this is the tub for you. It is ENTI certified meaning that you have nothing to worry about when bathing your baby.
The tub comes in a unique design with anti-slip armrests.
It also comes with an additional anti-slip mat that will ensure that your baby stays put in the ideal bathing position all through with this tub. Your baby will never be at risk of sustaining injuries from slips.
This tub features a gender-neutral design, so it makes a great gift option for someone expecting a baby.
- It has a good grip that keeps it in position at all times preventing your baby from slips
- Comes with a unique and no gender design making it appropriate for both boys and girls
- Comes with a drain plug that makes it easy for you to drain after use
- Made of high-quality materials and thus very durable
- Has smooth edges therefore very safe for your baby
- Large enough to fit big babies
- Easy to drain
- Portable and therefore easy to carry to any room you want to use when bathing your baby
- The base support is not proper
7. Muslin Baby Washcloths – Best baby washcloths
You can never go wrong by purchasing these washcloths for your baby. The open weave makes them the best for your newborn child.
You can use the washcloths to wash your baby’s body and to wipe them clean during meal times. They can be used as both face and body wash towels. You can also use them as comfort blankets, infant handkerchief, burp cloth or bib.
The washcloths are very safe to use since they are chemical-free. If your baby is suffering from eczema, acne, or cradle cap, these washcloths are the best to use when washing them since they do not contain harmful dyes or chemicals.
You can clean the cloth with ease since they are machine washable. They get smoother with every wash and making it the best to use on your kid’s delicate skin. They can also make a perfect gift for a baby shower.
- Made from ultra-soft and durable cotton material
- You can use them to wipe your baby’s mouth during meal
- Chemicals free and very safe for babies to use
- It is machine washable, making it easy to clean
- Very soft and high-quality
- Soaks up all spills and messes
- Come with lovely prints
- Get softer with every use
- The size is small – can be used to wipe face only
8. Cetaphil Baby Shampoo and Wash – Best baby natural shampoo
This baby wash will enable you to clean your baby’s hair and body with ease. It does not cause irritations and allergic reactions to their delicate skin. The liquid is safe for your baby’s skin and will have no adverse effects.
The soap has natural ingredients such as chamomile, wheat, protein, and glycerin. It is tear-free, allergy tested, and dermatologically tested as well for the safety and comfort of your baby. This is one of the safest baby shampoo available that you can trust on.
The baby wash also contains panthenol and glycerin that nourishes your baby’s skin without leaving it dry. It cleanses the baby’s hair and scalp without irritating the eyes. You can use it daily since it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals.
- Chemical-free and thus very safe to use
- Gentle on the kids’ scalp and hair
- Safe to use even for newborns from day one
- Best for babies with very sensitive skin
- Leaves your baby’s skin nourished and soft
- Tear-free and thus doesn’t irritate the eyes
- A lot of liquid comes out after one squeeze
9 Mom and World Baby Wash – Best natural baby wash
This soap will help you to care for your baby’s sensitive skin without exposing him to irritants and allergens. It will give your baby a calming comfort bath that will soothe and relax your young one. This gentle formula will also cleanse and moisturize your baby’s delicate skin.
The formula has almond and organic Moroccon Argan oil that soothes your baby’s skin.
It also features Chamomilla flower extract that helps in skin-soothing. The soap cleanses without drying out your baby’s skin.
You can use the soap combined with a warm bath to calm and help your baby relax. The formula comes enriched with pro-vitamins, Aloe Vera, and oats that help to replenish moisture and nutrients on your baby’s skin.
The formula is tears free and won’t sting your baby’s eyes. It also lathers with ease so you’ll only require a little amount at a time.
- Made with Almond and organic oil that helps in moisturizing and helping your baby to relax
- Tear-free and specially formulated for infants
- Very gentle and cleans baby’s hair and delicate skin
- Leaves no residue and will never irritate your baby’s skin.
- Leaves baby’s skin soft and moisturized
- Doesn’t leave baby’s skin and hair dry after washing
- Chemical-free and safe for your baby
- No negative points observed so far
10. Newborn Baby Bath Towel – Best baby towel
If you looking for a super-soft robe for your little angel, go for this hooded towel.
It is made from super soft flannel fabric and will keep your baby dry and warm after a bath. It comes in beautiful colors and will make your baby look cute when wrapped in it.
The towel is very light in weight and easy to fold. You can carry it along if traveling for a trip with your baby. Woven from soft fleece, the towel is very skin-friendly and will comfort your baby.
This towel is free of chemicals and dries fast after a wash. It is made with odor-free materials and thus very safe for your baby.
- Made from soft flannel fabric and thus very soft and comfortable for a newborn
- Easy to fold making it easy to carry along when traveling with your baby
- Made with odor-free materials
- Comes in a unique design
- Super soft and attractive
- Dries up quickly
- The quality could be better
11. Rikang Hippo ThermometerBest baby bath thermometer
Before bathing your baby, you have to ensure that you get the ideal water temperature suitable for your young one. This thermometer will adequately serve the purpose. Made of high-quality materials, the thermometer doesn’t break easily and will last for a very long time.
You can be free from worry about the water being too hot for your baby.
- It has heat resistant characteristics and will not malfunction if you place it in a tub full of hot water.
- Comes in a water fish shape to stimulate your baby’s curiosity.
- Can also be used to measure room temperature
- Very easy to use
- Lasts for a very long time
- Helps to avoid accidental scalds
- Doesn’t break easily
- No negative points were observed so far
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When should I bathe my newborn?
In the beginning, wiping them with a damp sponge is enough. After that, you can start giving them a soft bath with a washcloth.
2. How often should I bathe my newborn?
You do not have to bathe your baby daily. Three times a week is enough until the kid starts moving around. Bathing too frequently will cause their skin to dry.
3. How do I tell that my baby’s bath water is too hot?
Always run cold water first before adding the hot water to get the right temperature.
Test the water’s temperature before you place your baby in the tub. If it’s hot for you, it’s scorching hot for your baby. You can also use your elbow to test the temperature. The ideal temperature should be 37 degrees C to 38 degrees C.
4. How long should I wait before bathing my newborn?
WHO- World Health Organization recommends delaying a newborn’s first bath at least 24 hours. Other health professionals suggest that you do it after 48 hours.
5. When can I start bathing my baby in a bathtub?
The best time to start bathing your baby in a bathtub is when she can sit and support themselves comfortably.
6. When do I start bathing my baby daily?
Only start bathing the kid daily when he starts crawling and getting into messes. Even at this stage, three times a week will be sufficient.
7. How often should I wash my kid’s hair?
Kids’ hair produces very little oil meaning that washing the hair twice or once a week is fine enough. A mild shampoo should be used.
8. How long should baby bath time be?
You should take the least time possible to clean your baby if you do not want your little one to catch a cold during bath time. The bath should take at least five to ten minutes.
9. Can I bathe my baby with cold water?
At no time should you use cold water to wash your baby as they may catch a cold.
If you have made it this far, you are now armed with enough knowledge to make sure that you can bathe your baby. The variety of products we have covered will provide you with everything you need to take care of your baby’s bathing needs.
Combined with our guide and tips, we are sure that bathing time will become your favorite activity of the day, both for you and your baby.