Top Torch Lights in India For Emergency Situations
One of the essential gadgets to carry with you on a hiking or camping trip is a torchlight. Even while going on an evening stroll, keeping a torchlight with you comes in handy. Many recommend storing torchlight in the house and outside the house, like in your car or motorbike.
David Misell invented the first portable light in 1899. As technology advanced, so did torchlights. Today, we have LED torchlights, rechargeable torch lights, multi-functional torchlights, and much more.
Through this article, we intend to introduce you to some of the best torchlights available in India. We have also elaborately explained the different types of torchlights, their benefits, and some common FAQs at the very end.
Top 9 Torchlights in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Benefits of Torchlights
Compared to conventional emergency lights, torchlights have several advantages that make them a necessity.
While emergency lights and bulbs have a limited life, torches live longer because they depend on batteries.
Changeable batteries make torchlights costlier, but if you invest in a rechargeable torchlight, you can eliminate the cost of batteries.
With the invention of the first torchlight, David Misell intended to create a portable light source, and he was much successful at that.
Torchlights can be easily carried along from one room to the other or carried along outdoors.
Have you ever dropped an earring and found it difficult to find even with the room’s bulbs switched on? This is where torchlights come in handy.
The beam of light emitted by torchlights concentrates on smaller areas like under the bed or table, so it enhances your vision.
As stated earlier, keeping a torchlight in hand at all times gives a sense of safety. This applies especially to aged people who can’t manage to run around looking for an emergency light device during power outages.
Types of Torchlights
Torchlights have evolved a lot in the past few decades. Today, you can choose from a variety of torchlights according to your preference.
There are many ways to classify torchlights. Based on the battery used, torchlights are classified as:
Traditional torchlights depend on readily available batteries. They are inexpensive but make you spend a lot more on batteries. They work on AAA or AA batteries.
The advantage of non-rechargeable torch lights is that they are light-weight and have a higher voltage output. Because of their smaller size, they are also travel-friendly.
The most common these days is the rechargeable torchlight. It comes with either chargeable lithium-ion batteries or lead-acid batteries. This eliminates the expense of changing batteries frequently.
Rechargeable torch lights can be charged by connecting to a plug via a chord. Some rechargeable torch lights can be self-recharged manually using a crank. The latest addition to torchlights is the one that gets charged by solar energy.
Based on the material used, torchlights can be plastic or metal. The most common metal torchlights are those made of aluminium alloy. They are sturdier than the plastic ones and hence last longer.
Another classification of torchlights is based on the light dispersion:
These torchlights produce a spotlight with a long-range. They are preferable for outdoor use.
This kind of torchlight has a wider range of light dispersion. They are suitable for power outages indoors.
In some torchlights, the focus of the light can be adjusted and interchanged from spot to flood. They are expensive but serve multiple purposes.
Other classifications of torchlights are based on:
Size – Some torchlights are simple, small, and easily portable, while others are large with extra features.
Weight – There are lightweight as well as bulky torchlights based on their size and the material used.
Charging Point – This applies to rechargeable torch lights. Some torchlights have an in-built two pin that needs to be plugged into a socket to charge the torchlight. Others come with a charging cord or a USB cable.
The design is another factor that determines the type of torchlight. Some modern torchlights have a dual function that makes them usable as an emergency light as well.
Torchlights come with different light options like bright light, dim light, blinking light, and SOS.
Torchlights are available in many shapes, sizes, and recharging options. There are many light-related terms you need to familiarise yourself with to ensure you invest in the best torchlight.
Keeping these factors in mind, we have compiled a list of features you need to look for while investing in a torchlight:
Almost all electronic devices have a common problem – heating. The same goes for torchlights as well. Invest in one with proper heat distribution, so the torchlight does not get heated too quickly and becomes easier to carry.
Torchlights that have different modes are more useful than the ones that come with a single light setting. The ideal torchlight should have both bright and dim light options accessible with an easy press or push button.
This is the intensity of light produced by the torchlight. It is measured in lumens and is usually mentioned in the description. The higher the lumens, the better the light. Torchlights with a higher light output are preferable for outdoor purposes.
If you intend to use the torchlight more outdoors, look for one that is water-resistant. This is usually mentioned in the description in the form of IPX ratings. Choose a torchlight whose IPX rating is between 4 to 8.
This is the distance covered by the torch’s light output, and it is measured in meters. A higher light output distance is suitable for outdoors, while shorter ones are good for indoor use.
Impact resistance is measured in meters and indicates the dropping distance at which the torchlight does not get impacted.
The inner seating of the torchlight should be protected to minimize the impact of an accidental drop. The torch should have a high impact resistance to keep it safe in emergencies.
This is noteworthy if you plan on investing in a rechargeable torchlight. Those who take 10-12 hours to recharge are not useful, especially if you live where power outages are frequent.
This is the number of hours the light output remains 100% or begins to drop to 10% of the actual output. The run time of torchlights generally decreases with time.
Pay attention to the material of the torchlight because this determines its sturdiness. The cheaply available torchlights usually are made of plastic. They are affordable but not durable.
Metal torchlights have a longer life than plastic ones. But the disadvantage is their weight.
There are many factors associated with the battery of the torchlight that needs to be taken into account. Consider the kind of battery that works in the torchlight. Is it a lead-acid or lithium-ion battery?
Lead-acid batteries take more time to get completely charged. Lithium-ion batteries provide a longer run time but are expensive.
The capacity of the battery is also a key factor that needs to be considered. This is measured in milliampere-hours or mAh.
Batteries with a higher mAh make the torchlight usable for a longer time. But these batteries will be bulkier hence making the torch heavy to carry around easily.
Best 9 Torchlights
1. Havells Ranger 10 Rechargeable LED Torch
Havells is one of India’s largest electronic goods companies. It specializes in fans, lighting, water heaters, air coolers, and much more.
Havells Ranger 10 LED torchlight is an innovative product with a rechargeable battery. Its wattage is 1watt and has a medium beam LED.
- This torchlight can be easily recharged by plugging it directly into a plug socket
- It has a 400mAh battery that is maintenance-free
- It has a sturdy ABS housing that is resistant to cracks and scratches
- It produces bright white light with a metalized reflector and adjustable head
- There is a slide button on the bottom to release the charging point
- Its ergonomic design allows you to get a stable grip in the palms
- This torchlight does not contain mercury
- It eliminates the need to purchase separate batteries
- It produces low running temperature
- This is an energy-saver torchlight as it consumes low energy
- It does not produce UV and IR radiation for safety
- No negative points were observed so far about the product
2. Wipro Emerald Plus Rechargeable Emergency Light
Wipro is an Indian IT pioneer that caters to IT, consumer goods, and business process services. It is one of the leading IT companies in India that has multifaceted itself over the years.
Wipro Emerald Plus Rechargeable Emergency Light offers dual-brightness along with a high-quality rechargeable lithium battery.
- This is a powerful 5 watt LED torch
- It has two brightness levels – bright and dim
- It has a 4000mAh battery that provides 8- 10 hours of light
- It has voltage surge protection
- This torch can be easily charged using a USB cable
- The stylish design looks attractive and easy to handle
- A power cord is also included with the torch
- It produces long-range light
- It is quite expensive compared to the other options
3. Syska T112UL Bright LED Rechargeable Torch
Syska has been around for a long time and has been delivering high-quality products to its customers, especially their lighting products. We have reviewed one such amazing product from Syska below.
This is a rechargeable torch with a bright 1W LED. Its battery has a run time of 6-8hours in bright light and 10-12hours in dim light.
- This torch takes up to 4-5 hours to charge completely
- It has a 3.7V lithium-ion battery with 1200mAh
- The body is made of ABS break-resistant material, which means it can withstand drops
- It has an ergonomic design that has a comfortable grip
- The compact size of this torch makes it usable
- There is a sliding switch that allows you to turn it on or off easily
- It can be charged with a micro-USB cable
- It gives an output of 130lm
- It has two light options – bright and dim
- The built quality could have been better
4. iBELL FL8336 Torch Flashlight
iBELL is a power tools manufacturing company that makes a huge array of electronic goods, including air conditioners, flashlights, beauty tools, home appliances, fans, and security cameras.
This classic torchlight by iBELL is a heavy-duty rechargeable torch with a light distance of 650mtr. It produces a bright, cool, daylight colour beam.
- The LED lamp has a life of up to 100,000 hours
- It has a built-in rechargeable battery
- It has an unbreakable front cover glass
- It comes with a charging cord
- The switch is water-proof for durability
- This torch has an aircraft aluminium body
- There is a night glow band on the rod that helps you detect the torch in the dark
- The mirror-finish reflector reflects maximum light
- The non-slip rubber comfort grip helps you hold the torch steadily
- It is light-weight and perfect for travel and adventure
- It has only one brightness mode
5. Syska T0790LA Tuo Portable Rechargeable Led Torch
Syska is an Indian lighting solutions brand that specializes in LED lights. They provide LED bulbs, tube lights, ceiling lights, etc.
Syska’s Tuo lamp-cum-torch is an innovative product used as an emergency lamp and a torchlight. It has a sliding switch and a charging indicator.
- It is uniquely designed to be used as a lamp and a torch as well
- The lamplight works for 3 hours and the torchlight for 4 hours
- It produces light of 7watts
- It comes with a 4V 900mAh lead-acid battery
- There is a carry handle on one end that makes it travel-friendly
- It is made of ABS plastic that is sturdy
- There is an in-built 2-pin plug that makes charging easy
- The handle can be folded into the body to make it concealed
- It requires 12-15 hours to get completely charged
6. AmiciVision Metal LED Torch Flashlight
AmiciVision offers a torchlight with an adjustable focus which makes it easy to view things in the dark. The torchlight is also highly durable, which makes it an ideal choice for outings.
This torch is powered by a high lumens CREE LED that makes it brighter than ordinary flashlights. It comes with 3 AAA batteries.
- There are five lighting modes in this torchlight – high, middle, low, strobe, and SOS
- The neck of this torchlight can be zoomed in and out to change the light range
- Zoom in for floodlight and zoom out for spotlight mode
- The lighting distance of this torchlight is 600meters
- The body is made of aluminium alloy
- The body is anti-abrasive and skid-proof
- The compact design of this torchlight makes it suitable for outdoor use
- It has an adjustable focus and produces long-range light
- This torchlight is waterproof
- There are anti-slip strips on the body to give you are firm grip
- It is not rechargeable
7. Pigeon Radiance LED Torch with Emergency Light
Pigeon is one of India’s all-rounder companies that makes appliances for the home and kitchen. Pigeon’s Radiance LED torch is a convenient product that can also be used as a lamp. A simple press button can activate this dual-function.
This 2-in-1 torch light is highly effective in places where power outages are very common. You can use it as lamp while studying and as a torch in dark places.
- This is torch-cum-lamp works on a 1600mAh lead-acid sealed battery
- There is a normal round charging 2-pin plugin it
- This is a rechargeable torch
- There is a charging indicator light on it
- It requires 12 hours to be charged completely
- The back-up time is 4 hours
- It has a sturdy body
- It is portable and easy to use outdoors
- It has overcharge and deep charge protection
- It can be mounted on the wall to illuminate the whole room
- There are three light modes in this torch
- It takes a long time to get charged
8. DOCOSS – NEEM 2 in 1-6W Torchlight
This is a 2-in-1 torchlight. It can work as an LED torch and an emergency light. Docoss torchlight is highly durable and lightweight as well. This makes it a perfect choice for any picnic or trekking trips.
Its compact size and ABS plastic body are addon points that make this torchlight stand out among others.
- It has a 1200mAh lithium-ion battery that provides 3.5-6 hours of backup
- It is made of ABS plastic and has a fully enclosed structure
- It has a high-strength head ring and acrylic lens
- The emergency light is a 3W LED, and the torch is 6W LED
- This torch is compact and travel-friendly
- There is a high reflectance concentrator cup
- It is portable and can be used outdoors
- It comes with a charging cord
- No negative points were observed so far
9. Pick Ur Needs ® Rechargeable Bright Led Torchlight
This is a dual-function product that can be used as a torchlight and an emergency light. It has long-range and long-life LED bulbs. The design of this torchlight makes it easy to hold. It is compact and thus is easy to carry around.
It’s charging indicator keeps you alerted in case of less battery. The 3 light modes available allows you to choose from strong, light and blinking.
- It includes a 2500mAh long-life battery that gets charged quickly
- Just plug in this torch to a 220V socket to charge it
- It has a superior design that is not bulky
- It has a rechargeable high-brightness torchlight and a bright emergency light
- There is a handle with grooves on it to fit perfectly in the hand
- This is a fast-charging torchlight that does not require separate batteries
- The charging point is concealed with a liftable cover
- There is a charging indicator light on it to let you know when the torchlight is completely charged
- The body is water-resistant due to its sturdy build
- There are three light modes – strong, light, and blinking
- The quality could have been better
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can torchlights harm the human eye?
Yes, they can. Torchlights with a lumen factor of above 50 can potentially harm the eyes. Avoid directing the torchlight to anyone’s eyes. Whenever possible, use your torchlight in dim light settings than bright light.
2. Which kind of reflector will work the best?
The reflector of a torchlight ensures light gets reflected from the torch’s light beam. This enhances the light output and beams distance. Reflectors are concave-shaped, but the ones that are mirrored give a better output.
3. Should the batteries of a torchlight be removed when not in use?
This applies to non-rechargeable batteries because prolonged periods of inactivity can lead to the battery fluid leaking and damage the torchlight. Rechargeable batteries don’t face this issue, but this depends on the quality of the battery used.
4. Does the heating of a torchlight indicate it is unsafe?
No. It is common for any artificial light source to experience some heating while it is in use.
Torchlights can heat up for two reasons – the batteries are too old or of poor quality, or the inner unit cannot disperse heat properly. If your torchlight heats up too quickly, it needs to be checked for any defects.
5. Which torchlight is suitable for travel purposes?
It depends on the kind of battery and the run time of the torchlight. The ones with a higher lumen factor are suitable for outdoor purposes in general. For travelling, the torchlight should have a spotlight beam, so it covers longer distances.
Lightweight torches are recommendable for travel purposes, so they can be easily packed in the luggage. The size of the torch also should be considered.
Torchlights are the most convenient yet underrated electronic devices. It is only in the time of a power outage or an emergency that we realize the importance of torchlights. Keeping a torchlight in hand at all times can prove useful, but it depends on the type.
As stated earlier, many factors need to be considered while choosing the ideal torchlight. We hope our elaborate buying guide will help you choose the right torchlight based on your preference.
For household purposes, opt for one that has a higher run time. The ones that can be multi-purposed as an emergency light are also beneficial for indoor use. For adventures like camping and trekking, it is best to invest in advanced torchlights.
The charging time, battery capacity, lighting options, switch, and reflector of the torchlight play an important role in selecting the ideal one. To help you make the best choice here are our top 3 picks Havells Ranger 10 1-Watt LED Torch, Wipro Emerald Plus Light and Syska T112UL MAXLIT 1W Led Torch.