Top 6 Kid’s Laptops
The next-generation kids are way smarter and advanced learners than ever before. These child prodigies need opportunities to nurture their unique talent and explore the world of possibilities to become the global leaders of the future.
To shape your kids’ extraordinary future and accelerate the intellectual development in them, you need to provide them with toys with great infotainment values at the earliest age possible.
A kid’s laptop is one such educational toy that offers an awesome way of introducing your kids to the world of numbers and languages. It also promotes their problem-solving skills, logical reasoning, mathematical ability, and motor skills in your kids.
Top 6 Kid’s Laptops in India
Benefits of buying educational laptops for kids?
Kids’ laptops are known for encouraging a good number of mental/cognitive abilities and specific excellent motor/physical skills. Here is a round-up of the key benefits.
This is fostered through different play activities aimed at certain aspects of language, including the alphabet, vowel sounds, words, and sentences. Good examples include letter recognition and pronunciation games, word building, and word puzzles.
Numbers and mathematics
Certain kids’ laptop games are focused on developing a child’s ability to recognize names and perform basic arithmetic operations. These include number recognition and pronunciation games, and basic arithmetic and number puzzles.
Logic and problem solving
Some kids’ learning laptops come with games or activities that encourage the child to develop problem-solving skills. These include a variety of shape puzzles and various mathematical operations.
Typing and hand-eye coordination
Most kids’ learning laptops come with essential input devices such as the keyboard and mouse.
These are used in conjunction with various games to enhance the child’s ability to perform fine motor (precise hand manipulation) skills such as typing and mouse manipulation.
Types of kids laptops
Laptops for kids can be classified based on age ranges and their primary purpose/focus. Some laptops fall within the 1+ age range.
As expected, they are designed to encourage the kid to learn basic sounds and images without emphasizing words and arithmetic.
Some more advanced laptops fall within the 3+ range, and they are focused on helping the child learn more complex sounds, letter recognition, and few-word sentences.
The 6+ range incorporates more advanced features which involve sentence construction, simple puzzles, essential arithmetic functions, and shapes.
Using the primary purpose, kids’ computers can be broadly categorized into educational and general purposes.
Educational laptops are a bit more oriented towards helping the child learn a particular set of skills. They are generally more abundant in activities tailored to developing language, arithmetic, or problem-solving skills.
On the other hand, general-purpose laptops are a bit more balanced as they combine educational and general play activities.
Buying guide: What factors should you consider when purchasing a laptop for your kid?
The best gadget for a 6-month-old baby will not necessarily be the best for an 8-year-old.
The first 8 years of life come with distinct developmental stages where children have varying mental and physical limitations, affecting how they can benefit from different toys or gadgets.
For instance, while an 8-year-old may easily appreciate a shape puzzle or keyboard typing practice, a one-year-old may only be interested in vowel sounds and random keypunching so long as it produces some sound.
For this reason, kids’ laptops are designed with different key age groups in mind, which is reflected in the different sets of activities included in the mini laptop.
To save you from having to guess or going through the trouble of coming up with the correct combination of features for the little one, manufacturers indicate the suitable age group in the specifications list.
Therefore, one of the first steps to choosing the best gadget for your kid is to look at the specified age group while relating to your child’s actual abilities and preferences.
Kids are clumsy, and it’s only natural and sometimes great for their learning. However, you surely don’t want to be buying a new laptop every week just because you rushed into the market for any product that looks like a kid’s laptop.
First of all, make sure you are buying a product from a well-established and recognized manufacturer. Secondly, make sure you are getting something with sturdy construction and durable material.
Most kid’s laptops are made of three main plastics: Polyolefins, ABS, and plasticized PVC, which offer great resistance to daily impact and rough handling.
Credible manufacturers are transparent enough to indicate these details; thus, you should check in the specs list if there is any information.
In addition to checking for specs and simple inspection of the device, it pays a lot of dividends to consider credible reviews from actual users of the product and see if it is really what the manufacturers claim it is in terms of quality.
The rule is simple: consistent and reasonable complaints relating to the product’s durability are a serious red flag urging you to move on.
Kids’ laptops come in with different features aimed at nurturing certain capabilities according to the child’s age and keeping the child engaged.
However, most of today’s kid’s laptops’ functions are geared towards promoting a variety of cognitive and physical functions. These can be broadly categorized into language, mathematical, logical, problem solving, and coordination/manual dexterity functions.
These include games that encourage the child to develop language basics and range from simple activities such as letter recognition and pronunciation to advanced tasks such as compound sentence construction.
Popular features include spelling correction, scrambled words, antonyms, synonyms, plural and singular terms, and anagrams.
These are mainly featured to assist the child with understanding numbers and performing basic and fairly advanced arithmetic operations. They also assist the kid in identifying different geometric shapes.
Popular activities include basic math (addition, subtraction, division, multiplication), percentages, algebra, and basic geometric shapes identification.
These aim to sharpen the child’s ability to recognize and come up with solutions to various problems by using various language, arithmetic, and geometric tools. Common examples include word puzzles and shape puzzles.
Manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination functions
These encourage the kid to develop essential coordination skills such as writing and typing through tools such as the keyboard, mouse, and sometimes the touch screen/slate.
Popular examples include typing different words, playing musical notes, and drawing/colouring different characters on the screen. In general, there is a myriad of activities associated with different kids’ laptops.
The key to getting the best is finding a well-rounded feature set that addresses a greater number of cognitive-developmental aspects at a reasonable price.
Most consumers are just looking to jump onto the market and grab any higher-priced product that looks like a kid’s laptop with the assumption that it should have more in terms of value.
Dubious consumers tend to realize this and naturally take advantage of it by packing their exorbitantly priced models with many activities that do not do much for the kid. Great educational kids’ laptops are based on sound research and expert knowledge on child development.
Therefore, before you reach out in your pocket and fish out a few coins, take a look at what the gadget has to offer, look at the brand, check out the reviews, and then decide if the gadget is worth the price tag.
High-end gadgets tend to fall somewhere around R1,000, whereas those on the opposite extreme tend to linger within the R300-400 price range.
6 Best laptop for kids
1. Urban Infrotech Kids Laptop
The Urban Infrotech Kids laptop is one of the richest in terms of essential functions/features necessary for a well-rounded kids’ laptop.
Its feature set includes a wide range of language, mathematical, logical, and problem-solving activities to furnish the little one with a vibrant experience. Let’s have a closer look at the device.
Design and key features
Unlike most kids’ laptops, it comes in with a more laptop-like look to allow the kid something closer to the feel of a real laptop. It provides a wide variety of colours on the screen though it can be considered a predominantly silver device.
The body is made of plastic material and measures 30 x 20 x 10 cm in length, width, and height. The package also comes with a mouse that is attached to the right side.
As indicated above, the device is endowed with a wealth of education-focused functions, which can be divided into four main groups.
- Language – Spellings and pronunciation, scrambled words, singular and plural identification, etc
- Mathematical and logical functions – Basic math, completing equations, geometry, algebra, percentages, numbering logic problem-solving – shape puzzles, tower of Hanoi, tic tac toe
- Hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity- Keyboard typing games
- Music– Music karaoke, the music maker. It comes with flash memory functionality
- It has a rich supply of activities aimed at nurturing a wide range of cognitive abilities
- Durable construction
- Ideal for preschoolers
- It has a more realistic design, thus giving kids a more proper introduction to laptops
- The flash memory functionality enhances the learning process by allowing for more effective revision
- Relatively higher priced than most of the models in the market
2. Jiada Kids Laptop
Jiada kids laptop is an ideal educational toy for kids that stimulates their mental development and promotes their problem-solving skills. It comes in colorful and attractive designs. It features a plastic LED screen that provides fun-filled learning without any stress.
It is packed with numerous kid-friendly features. It comes with a voice support feature that helps your kids listen to the correct pronunciation of commonly used words.
It comes with a wide range of activities like spelling missing letters, writing words, and alphabetical learning.
- This multi-colour toy offers a great way of introducing numbers (from 1 to 10) to your kids
- The kids get introduced to alphabets, and they can quickly learn alphabets from A to Z
- This toy features various letters and number songs/melodies for your kids to listen to and learn
- The laptop screen comprises stickers with names and pictures of 26 English words, including colours, animals, objects, body-parts, shapes, etc
- It is an AAA battery-operated toy that is suitable for kids in the age group of 3-6 months
- It features a clear LED display that helps your kids to view whatever they are typing clearly
- This educational laptop toy measures 16 X 14 cm in dimensions
- It provides various fun-filled learning activities for your kids, such as learning numbers, alphabetical learning, spelling missing letters, writing words, etc
- It looks modern, elegant, and trendy in appearance
- It is a great education toy for your kids to help them learn about relative words
- It introduces your kids to basic colours such as white, green, yellow, red, and orange
- It makes an ideal gift idea for the kids of your friends and family members
- It is a musical toy that keeps your kids engaged for hours
- The cells are not included along with the toy
3. Amitasha Laptop
Amitasha fun laptop is an exceptional computer toy for kids packed with 65 educational activities and games. It is prepared from high-quality material and is operated by AAA batteries. It is a fun-filled educational laptop that comes with a mouse.
This computer toy comes with a QWERTY keyboard design that helps your kids master the typing skills required for efficient working on real laptops.
It engages your kids in a wide range of educational activities such as learning letters, typing games, memory-increasing games, logical games, painting tools, mathematical numbers, musical games, etc.
- It is an excellent educational toy constructed using high-quality material, and hence it is 100% safe for your kids
- 3 AAA batteries operate it
- It comes with a normal laptop keyboard design with a QWERTY arrangement of alphabets and track-pad
- It comprises various letter activities such as learning letters, letter-test, letter completion, and small-capital letters
- It comes with various word activities like learning words, word spelling, word order, word completion, word-test, word-correction, word-guessing, etc
- It includes various typing games
- It comes with a wide array of mathematical activities, including learning number, number spelling, counting numbers, odd or even numbers, addition-test, subtraction-test, division-test, multiplication-test, arithmetic progression, equation completion, mixed maths operations, etc
- It measures 10 x 8 x 3 cm in dimensions, and it weighs only 310 grams
- It is suitable for kids aged 3 years and above
- It helps increase memory in kids through various activities like push objects, car-racing, returning home, boxing, galaxy fighter, aircraft, etc
- It promotes logical building and problem-solving skills in kids through logic activities like number memory games, letter memory games, graph memory, picture matching, same picture, etc
- It comes with various useful tools for your kids, including a painting board, clock, calculator, countdown, etc
- It provides entertaining musical activities for the kids such as music box, piano, play randomly, Hanoi tower, complementary graphs, count the figures, etc
- Smaller screen size does not hold the attention of kids for long
- Control buttons on the mouse pad are difficult to locate as these are in the same colour as the background
4. Aquaras Kids Laptop
If you are looking for something to get that 3+-year-old up and running with the alphabet and basic numbers, this little gadget can be a handy companion. A great alphanumeric keyboard and audio-visual feedback system are at the center of its overall value.
Design and key features.
It’s a single-hinge clamshell design featuring an LED screen and an alphanumeric keyboard that accommodates a full alphabet and a set of numeric keys. The left side of the keyboard holds a speaker that provides audio feedback during activities.
The laptop affords a wide range of functions to assist with the development of key cognitive abilities.
- Language – Letter recognition and pronunciation, word recognition, spelling, and pronunciation
- Numbers and basic mathematics – Number recognition, number pronunciation
- It has a durable build quality and material
- Good colour scheme and attractive design for the appropriate age range
- Ideal for kids up to 5 years of age
- Learning made simple with inbuilt LED screen and audio
- Efficient input and feedback system
- Limited activities for older kids
5. Storio Kids Laptop
Simply a colourful device to keep your kid interested while getting along with the basics of language and numbers. The device has managed to rack up a commendable number of reviews from current users due to its simplicity and clever design.
Design and key features
Like the previous models, the device takes a basic clamshell design and incorporates a plastic base that articulates with a bright screen. It weighs at just 249g and measures at around 17 x 13 x 2 cm in terms of dimensions.
- Language – Alphabet letter recognition and pronunciation, word typing, and pronunciation
- Mathematical and logical functions – Keyboard number recognition(1-10), number logic, and pronunciation
- The efficient voice feedback system for easy character identification
- Users have appreciated the sound quality
- Colourful and great design for kids
- Affordable price tag
- The relatively fewer number of activities. A little more in terms of educational games would be great
6. Babygo Kids Laptop
The Babygo learn kids laptop provides another great learning tool that effectively blends play into cognitive development.
A balanced feature set combining language, mathematical, musical, and problem-solving activities make it one of the most sought after kid’s gadgets around.
Design and key features.
A colourful clamshell design should provide a good way of introducing the world of laptops and numbers to the child. The base holds an alphanumeric keyboard, a speaker(on the left), and a side attachment for the mouse.
It articulates with the screen through a solid hinge, which allows backward movement to an acute angle close to 180 degrees.
It weighs at just 300 gms while the overall size measures 26 x 13 x 3 cm
- Language – Alphabet letter recognition and pronunciation, word typing, and pronunciation: It features 40 English words, which can be learned in three different modes of practice, namely: letter, word, asking, and spell mode
- Mathematical and logical functions– Number identification and pronunciation
- Music– Note identification and music learning through songs
- Effective feedback system for easy character and musical note learning
- Colourful and well built
- It lacks problem-solving activities for older kids
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I get a regular laptop for my 10-14-year-old?
A real laptop can give your kid that extra lift into the world of computers.
However, it’s great to keep it simple and cheap as most kids in this range can’t benefit from highly advanced features rather, the kids’ laptops have functions specifically designed for them.
2. How good are kids’ laptops at assisting with learning language and mathematical skills?
Of course, there isn’t any objective information from formal research. Still, the principle is in allowing your child to practice the basics of language and calculations in an innovative and fun environment.
3. What language do kids’ laptops come in?
While most toy laptops come in English, some incorporate several languages, while others are entirely designed with a language other than English.
If you are looking for something that offers much more than just English, it’s best to check on the specs list.
4. Can you plug in headphones in kids laptops?
No. It’s currently hard to find any kids’ laptops with headphone functionality. This is chiefly because of health concerns as kids may not always know which sound levels are appropriate and safe.
Additionally, a more natural and well-moderated environment is better for learning.
A kid’s laptop is an ideal infotainment toy for your kids as it provides both entertainment and education values. It allows your kids to play with numbers and the alphabet. It develops manual dexterity and improved hand-eye coordination among kids.
Depending on the kid’s age, this toy helps them learn correct spellings and build their vocabulary through various features like scrambled words, synonyms, antonyms, anagrams, etc.
It is an ideal toy for your kids to jump-start their comprehensive learning process and fast-track their intellectual development.