Top 5 Kid’s Laptops
The computer is fast becoming a part of our everyday lives. Kids these days are head to head with the technology. From playing games to learning online, everything is not available through electronic media.
However, you do not want your kid to access unnecessary content that computers offer.
Therefore, introducing the concept of an educational toy to your little one at the earliest age possible can be a great step to prepare him/her for the increasingly sophisticated world ahead. It can be an effective way of introducing the language, mathematical, and problem-solving skills to your little one at an early age.
This guide will look at these factors like plus points of buying the kids laptop, buying guide, and travel the extra mile by looking at the best options you have at your disposal on the market. We have also answered the common questions you may have while shopping.
Top 5 Kid’s Laptops
Benefits of buying educational laptops for kids?
Kids’ laptops are known for encouraging a good number of mental/cognitive abilities as well as specific excellent motor/physical skills. Here is a round-up of the key benefits.
This is fostered through different play activities aimed at certain aspects of language, including the alphabet, vowel sounds, words, and sentences. Good examples include letter recognition and pronunciation games, word building, and word puzzles.
Numbers and mathematics
Certain kids’ laptop games are focused on developing a child’s ability to recognize names and perform basic arithmetic operations. These include number recognition and pronunciation games, and basic arithmetic and number puzzles.
Logic and problem solving
Some kids’ learning laptops come with games or activities that encourage the child to develop problem-solving skills. These include a variety of shape puzzles and various mathematical operations.
Typing and hand-eye coordination
Most kids’ learning laptops come with essential input devices such as the keyboard and mouse. These are used in conjunction with various games to enhance the child’s ability to perform fine motors (precise hand manipulation) skills such as typing and mouse manipulation.
Types of kids laptops
Laptops for kids can be classified based on age ranges and their primary purpose/focus. Some laptops fall within the 1+ age range.
As expected, they are designed to encourage the kid to learn basic sounds and images without any emphasis on words and arithmetic.
Some more advanced laptops fall within the 3+ range, and they are focused on helping the child to learn more complex sounds, letter recognition, and few-word sentences. The 6+ range incorporates more advanced features which involve sentence construction, simple puzzles, essential arithmetic functions, and shapes.
Using the primary purpose, kids’ computers can be broadly categorized into educational and general purposes.
Educational laptops are a bit more oriented towards helping the child learn a particular set of skills. They are generally more abundant in activities tailored to developing language, arithmetic, or problem-solving skills.
On the other hand, general-purpose laptops are a bit more balanced as they combine educational and general play activities such as games.
Buying guide: What factors should you consider when purchasing a laptop for your kid?
The best gadget for a 6-month-old baby will not necessarily be the best for an 8-year-old.
The first 8 years of life come with distinct developmental stages where children have varying mental and physical limitations, which also affect how they can benefit from different toys or gadgets.
For instance, while an 8-year-old may easily appreciate a shape puzzle or keyboard typing practice, a one-year-old may only be interested in vowel sounds and random keypunching so long as it produces some sound.
For this reason, kids’ laptops online are designed with different key age groups in mind, which is reflected in the different sets of activities included in the mini laptop.
To save you from having to guess or going through the trouble of coming up with the correct combination of features for the little one, manufacturers indicate the suitable age group in the specifications list.
Therefore, one of the first steps to choosing the best gadget for your kid is to look at the specified age group while relating to the actual abilities and preferences that your child has.
Kids are clumsy, and it’s only natural and sometimes great for their learning. However, you surely don’t want to be buying a new laptop every week just because you rushed into the market for any product that looks like a kid’s laptop.
First of all, make sure you are buying a product from a well-established and recognized manufacturer. Secondly, make sure you are getting something with sturdy construction and durable material.
Most kid’s laptops are made of three main plastics, namely: Polyolefins, ABS, and plasticized PVC, which offer great resistance to daily impact and rough handling. Credible manufacturers are transparent enough to indicate these details; thus, you should check in the specs list if there is any information.
In addition to checking for specs and simple inspection of the device, it pays a lot of dividends to consider credible reviews from actual users of the product, and see if it is really what the manufacturers claim it is in terms of quality.
The rule is simple: consistent and reasonable complaints relating to the product’s durability are a serious red flag urging you to move on.
Kids’ laptops come in with different features aimed at nurturing certain capabilities according to the child’s age, as well as keeping the child engaged. However, most of the functions in today’s kid’s laptops are geared towards promoting a variety of cognitive and physical functions.
These can be broadly categorized into language, mathematical, logical, problem solving, and coordination/manual dexterity functions.
These include games that encourage the child to develop language basics and may range from simple activities such as letter recognition and pronunciation to advanced tasks such as compound sentence construction.
Popular features include spelling correction, scrambled word, antonyms, synonyms, plural and singular terms, and Anagrams.
These are mainly featured to assist the child with understanding numbers as well as performing basic and fairly advanced arithmetic operations. They also assist the kid in identifying different geometric shapes.
Popular activities include basic math (addition, subtraction, division, multiplication), percentages, algebra, and basic geometric shapes identification.
These aim at sharpening the child’s ability to recognize and come up with solutions to a variety of problems by using various language, arithmetic, and geometric tools. Common examples include word puzzles and shape puzzles.
Manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination functions
These encourage the kid to develop essential coordination skills such as writing and typing through tools such as the keyboard, mouse, and sometimes the touch screen/slate. Popular examples include typing different words, playing musical notes, and drawing/coloring different characters on the screen.
In general, there is a myriad of activities associated with different kids’ laptops. The key to getting the best is in finding a well-rounded feature set that addresses a greater number of cognitive-developmental aspects at a reasonable price.
Most consumers are just looking to jump onto the market and grab any higher-priced product that looks like a kid’s laptop with the assumption that it should have more in terms of value. Dubious consumers tend to realize this and naturally take advantage of it by packing their exorbitantly priced models with a lot of activities that do not do much for the kid.
Great educational kids’ laptops are based on sound research and expert knowledge on child development. Therefore, before you reach out in your pocket and fish out a few coins, take a look at what the gadget has to offer, look at the brand, check out the reviews, and then decide if the gadget is worth the price tag.
High-end gadgets tend to fall somewhere around R1,000, whereas those on the opposite extreme tend to linger within the R300-400 price range.
5 Best laptop for kids
1. Urban Infrotech kids laptop – Durable and rich in functional features
The first slot on the list goes to the Urban Infrotech Kids laptop for a good reason. It is one of the richest in terms of essential functions/features which are necessary for a well-rounded kids’ laptop.
Its feature set includes a wide range of language, mathematical, logical, and problem-solving activities to furnish the little one with exceptionally rich experience. Let’s have a closer look at the device.
Design and key features
Unlike most kids’ laptops, it comes in with a more laptop-like look to allow the kid something closer to the feel of a real laptop. It does provide a wide variety of colors on the screen though it can be considered as a predominantly Silver device.
The body is made of plastic material and measures 30 x 20 x 10 cm in terms of length, width, and height. The package also comes with a mouse that is attached to the right side.
As indicated above, the device is endowed with a wealth of education-focused functions which can be divided into four main groups.
- Language – Spellings and pronunciation, Scrambled words, Singular and plural identification, etc.
- Mathematical and logical functions – Basic math, Completing equations, Geometry, Algebra, Percentages, Numbering logic. Problem-solving – Shape puzzles, Tower of Hanoi, Tic tac toe.
- Hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity- Keyboard typing games.
- Music– Music karaoke, the music maker. It comes with Flash memory functionality.
- It has a rich supply of activities aimed at nurturing a wide range of cognitive abilities.
- Durable construction.
- Ideal for preschoolers
- It has a more realistic design, thus giving kids a more proper introduction to laptops.
- The flash memory functionality enhances the learning process by allowing for more effective revision.
- Relatively higher priced than most of the models in the market.
2. Tec Tavakkal Kids Laptop
For learning purposes, a laptop with multiple activities is essential. TEC TAVAKKAL Kids Laptop
- This laptop has been designed for kids between the age of 3-10 years. The design and the color of the laptop, which includes cartoon series sketches on it, make it more appealing to kids.
- The laptop features an LCD screen, a keyboard, and a sound pad. It also includes a mouse that looks like an Omnitrix.
- The laptop includes over 20 activities, learn alphabets and numbers quickly.
- The laptop is an easy way to make your kids learn alphabets and numbers. They are taught to write them by identifying the numbers visually.
- It also comes with various musical notes and melodies. They would be able to learn musical notes and recognize it quickly.
- The laptop also comes along with different games such as falling objects, finding the matching pair, and drawing pictures.
- The display quality is excellent, which makes them see the alphabets and numbers easily.
- No negative points observed so far.
3. Viihaa kids laptop – Affordable
Like the Urban Infrotech, this model is also geared towards providing something closer to a real laptop while assisting with the development of a variety of mental/cognitive abilities. It has enjoyed several encouraging reviews from current users.
Thus it deserves a place in this review. Let’s get into the details.
Design and key features.
It comes in a basic laptop’s clamshell design, where the screen board articulates with the base through a solid single hinge system. The base holds an alphanumeric keyboard along with a set of control buttons on the adjacent surface on the front edge.
Like the previous model, the laptop affords a wide range of functions to assist with the development of key cognitive abilities.
- Language – Letter recognition and pronunciation, Capital and small letter recognition, word recognition, spelling and pronunciation.
- Drawing for Hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity
- Music – Musical note recognition, note playing, Melody recognition.
- Games – Star shooting, matching pairs
- A well-balanced set of features for kids who are getting started with numbers, letters, and words.
- Durable build quality.
- Affordable price tag.
- Limited features for kids above 8 years.
5. Aquaras kids laptop – Colorful
If you are looking for something to get that 3+-year-old up and running with the alphabet and basic numbers, this little gadget can be a handy companion. A great alphanumeric keyboard and audio-visual feedback system are at the center of its overall value.
Design and key features.
It’s a single-hinge clamshell design featuring an LED screen and an alphanumeric keyboard that accommodates a full alphabet and a set of numeric keys. The left side of the keyboard holds a speaker that provides audio feedback during activities.
The laptop affords a wide range of functions to assist with the development of key cognitive abilities.
- Language – Letter recognition and pronunciation, word recognition, spelling, and pronunciation.
- Numbers and basic mathematics – Number recognition, Number pronunciation.
- Many users have appreciated its durable build quality and material.
- Good color scheme and attractive design for the appropriate age range.
- Ideal for kids up to 5 years of age
- Learning made simple with inbuilt LED screen and audio
- Efficient input and feedback system.
- Limited activities for older kids.
5. Storio kids laptop – Highly affordable
Simply a colorful device to keep your kid interested while getting along with the basics of language and numbers. The device has managed to rack up a commendable number of reviews from current users due to its simplicity and clever design.
Design and key features
Like the previous models, the device takes a basic clamshell design and incorporates a plastic, green colored base which articulates with a bright screen. It weighs at just 249g and measures at around 17 x 13 x 2 cm in terms of dimensions.
- Language – Alphabet letter recognition and pronunciation, Word typing, and pronunciation.
- Mathematical and logical functions – Keyboard number recognition(1-10), Number logic, and pronunciation.
- The efficient voice feedback system for easy character identification.
- Users have appreciated the sound quality.
- Colorful and great design for kids.
- Affordable price tag
- The relatively fewer number of activities. A little more in terms of educational games would be great.
6. Babygo learn kids laptop – Well-balanced feature set
The Babygo learn kids laptop provides another great learning tool that effectively blends play into cognitive development. A balanced feature set combining language, mathematical, musical, and problem-solving activities make it one of the most sought after kid’s gadgets around.
Design and key features.
A colorful clamshell design should provide a good way of introducing the world of laptops and numbers to the child. The base holds an alphanumeric keyboard, a speaker(on the left), and a side attachment for the mouse. It articulates with the screen through a solid hinge, which allows backward movement to an acute angle close to 180 degrees.
It weighs at just 99.8 g while the overall size measures 26 x 13 x 3 cm.
- Language – Alphabet letter recognition and pronunciation, Word typing and pronunciation: It features 40 English words, which can be learned in three different modes of practice, namely: letter, word, asking, and spell mode.
- Mathematical and logical functions– Number identification and pronunciation.
- Music– Note identification and music learning through songs.
- Effective feedback system for easy character and musical note learning.
- Many users have appreciated their efficiency in making children learn new things.
- Colorful and well built.
- It lacks problem-solving activities for older kids.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I get a regular laptop for my 10-14-year-old?
A real laptop can give your kid that extra lift into the world of computers.
However, it’s great to keep it simple and cheap as most kids in this range can’t benefit from highly advanced features rather, the kids’ laptops have functions specifically designed for them.
2. How good are kids’ laptops at assisting with learning language and mathematical skills?
Of course, there isn’t any objective information from formal research. Still, the principle is in allowing your child to practice the basics of language and calculations in an innovative and fun environment.
3. What language do kids laptops come in?
While most toy laptops come in English, there are some which incorporate several languages, while others are entirely designed with a language other than English.
If you are looking for something that offers much more than just English, it’s best to check on the specs list.
4. Can you plug in headphones in kids laptops?
It’s currently hard to find any kids’ laptops with headphone functionality. This is chiefly because of health concerns as kids may not always know which sound levels are appropriate and safe.
Additionally, a more natural and well-moderated environment is better for learning.
Landing the best laptop for your kid requires you to consider key factors such as your child’s age, durability, and proper functions. This allows you to get something that is well-tailored to your child’s learning and play needs.
The products furnished in the last section should provide a tangible foothold to get you started. Our picks – Urban Infrotech kids laptop and Viihaa kids laptop