Best Board Games for Kids
Any classic board game is a great and nice inexpensive way for families and friends to spend quality time together, especially on a rainy day. The board game has a unique way of connecting family members thereby making them bond easily.
Most times when it is raining, or it’s pouring cats and dogs, and the kids are climbing the walls, running from one end to another! Don’t sweat it or get annoyed at this behavior of most of these kids. There are many classic board games for kids to get into while keeping them entertained and also learning new skills. Ther are many board games for adults and kids that can be played together. This board games can be fun for the whole family, and they’ll keep your kids away from their screens for a few hours.
Kid board game is one of the best ways of spending unhurried quality time with your family. Kid board games have a way of getting the entire family happily engaged with one sort of activity or the other. Kid board games come in different sizes, colors and shape and functionality depending on family tastes and likes. Kids want and need you to spend time and play with them.
Some of the challenges in games could be physical, while few others could be electronic – board games give you the needed knowledge to understand that different members of your family are wired differently and thus are good at different things all together making them authorities in different areas of their strengths.
This article will provide you with all the information you need in order to buy the perfect board game for your kid. This article includes include benefits of playing board games, Different types, what to do when a child loses a game and a comprehensive buyers guide. Lastly, we have also mentioned our Top 10 Recommended products along with their links from which you can buy online and general FAQ’s.
Buying Guide for a Kid Board Game
Best Creative Games for Kids
The Best Kids Botany Game in India
Best Game for Outdoor Picnic
Best Imaginative Kids Board Game
Best Original Kids Scrabble Game
The Best Board Game for Building Tenacity and Perseverance in Kids
The Best Stacking in India Game
The Best Skill Building Kid Board Game
Best Kid Board Game That Teaches Life Vital Lessons
Best Kid Competitive Game
Benefit of Kids Board Games
Kid’s board games are fun activities for kids and at the same time an educational item for them. Kids learn lot of life skills playing the various board games. Some of the other benefits and importance of this board games to the development of your child include the following
This is one of the most important needs of a kid board game. An example is in the game of Monopoly where the child needs to find a way to purchase assets and move from one place to another. This game teaches this vital life skill.
Most board games also help in building sportsmanship. It builds the spirit of knowing how to cope with losing. It teaches kids the very important skill of being a good sportsman whether they win or loss
Board games help in building connection among family. It helps in the bonding time and phase of a child and parent.
It’s a good way of developing matching skills among preschoolers and toddlers. Matching helps them in learning their shapes and colors
Games for kids helps to build bonding time among kids and parents. This could be either for fun or as a team. It is a way to develop a great social skill
These board games help in the development of this skill. Most of these board games are interactive and requires building or moving pieces around or simply matching the game to improve the kid’s hand-eye coordination.
Playing board games can also help pre-readers to learn how to pronounce new words and also learn how to read. Some of these games also help in vocabulary building.
Benefit of Kids Board Games
Children often get pissed off when they get to lose a game and someone else wins. This might lead them to scream or even tear the game up. This might not be peculiar with just your child as most kids hate losing. But what should a parent or caregiver do if the child is a sore loser? Here are ways to help a child understand the spirit of sportsmanship
- Don’t freak out
When your child gets angry or shouts on top of their voice, remember to stay calm. Don’t yell back else you end-up turning the home to a house of ZANGA (Chaos)
- Acknowledge the feeling
Let them know that you understand the feeling of what losing can be like. Nobody loves losing in life. It’s a hard feeling – so have them talk about it with you.
- Explain how the game of chance works
Toddlers and little kids often don’t understand what it involves in playing a game of chance. Explain to them to understand that such as in life you may not often win all the time. And most times we lose not because we did something wrong but they are things we cannot control.
- Allow them to lose at times.
Letting them lose most time helps to build patience and tenacity. Allowing them to win all the time might seem right but they might never learn what it is to be a good loser if you continue to let them win.
- Show them how to be a good loser
Let them see how it is to be a good loser. Shake them when you lose and congratulate the winner of any game. Let them see what the right position is when one loses a game.
Different Types of Kid Board Games
There are different types of kid board games in the market. Furthermore, it is of great essence that buyers understand and internalize this deeply. Because a good understanding of these various kid board games will enable buyers to make a good and informed business decision on what product to buy and what he stands to benefit by purchasing such a product.
Customers or parents purchase kid board games depending on what they want to achieve with it.For example, a customer that wants to improve the strategic capacity of his or her kid can decide to purchase a chess game.
Below are some of the kid board games in India markets. They are viz:
Magnetic Puzzles Triangles :
This is a potent educational tool that helps kids develop imaginative skills. It improves spatial and geometric in kids while building their intelligent quotients respectively.
The only noticeable challenge with this game is that the piece puzzle is small and can easily be swallowed by the kids
Pola puzzles funny, wild animals
By doing this puzzle, it boosts aesthetics, memory. The concentration level is taken higher, excellent motor skills and powerful cognitive skills are also developed.
Pola puzzle wild animals enable kids to prioritize and set life goals while developing patience towards achieving the set goals.
This is a specially built game, entertaining and thrilling geared towards enabling kids to learn and understand the states of India, their respective capitals and union territories.
With the help of the game, it helps kids that are still school-goers have an excellent and good break from traditional geography books. Kids interact amongst themselves thereby stimulating their minds to learn in a playful way manner.
The only set back to the game is the quantity of plastic and cardboard that is usually wasted.
Connect 4 games is a smartly designed game for kids, it kills boredom in kids. While in transit, during the torrential downpour and long holiday’s boredom tends to set in. With connect 4 such is far away as kids are actively engaged mentally and physically.
It is a uniquely designed game for the development of logic and reasoning in kids.
This is an exciting game of hiding and seek, highly entertaining for the whole family and most especially for kids up from ages 6. Players keenly contest for most mission cards, if they are to win the game.
The game can be a highly impactful picture hunt exercise; players need to be ready to find it first and fast at all cost humanly possible
Spot it out
As preschoolers get excited about learning their letters, this ABC version of the ever-popular game Spot it is a hit and a must have in every home. Each card has at least one match to every other card.
A couple of games versions to play including one in which three cards are flipped over out and whoever spots a match first gets to grab them, Great practice for kids learning their letters, this enables kids to have a quick grasp of letters.
Creative educational aids 0734 math puzzles:
This game is purely aimed at improving kid’s ability for calculation and division in such a unique way that over some time this new found study habit becomes a game to him. Kids are actively engaged because they can relate to their immediate environment. Thus whenever the child completes the puzzle, he quickly comes to terms with wonderful pictures that are involved in his daily activities.
Hoot Owl Hoot
Hoot owl Hoot is the most popular games ever. The primary aim of this game is for the group to cooperate, put their hands on the deck to get the owls back in the nest before the sun rises. The game has enough strategy to be fun, and kids get to learn how to work and bond together as a team.
Buying Guide for a Kid Board Game
In buying the best board games for kids, make sure to note that they have all the required features for the best purchase. Some of these features act as a boost that will balance your specific need and situation. Here are some carefully researched buying guides one needs to factor into before making any purchase of any sort.
Should be easy for the kid to learn
The best board game should be easy to learn and assimilate at such an infantile stage. We strongly advise that parents or caregivers reserve the complex or brain tasking ones for later stages in life when the brain capacity of the child has developed reasonably. For the now, settle for the ones whose guidelines and rules the child can quickly grasp.
Can easily be set up
A board game that tends to be set up quickly is a great delight for kids. Conversely, if it is pretty challenging setting up, the child naturally loses interest in such a game. This can make him/her store such a game far away from him.
Easy of cleaning
Every good and excellent kid board game should be easy to store and clean. Such a game should come with a limited number of props to its kit so that cleaning it up would be less hassling. A good board game is one that is easy to store and one that is easy to maintain as well. It should be pretty easy to keep track of all the parts that are present in the board game set. Board games with one too many parts to it may end up useless once one or two pieces get lost.
Number of players allowed
Most board games for kids are built in such a way to accommodate 2-6 active players. But the best form of a game for kids in the family should be all-encompassing. In this light before purchasing a board game for your kid, factor in the number of persons that make up your family.
Length of playing time
The best board game for kids should not exceed 10-30 minutes for each round of the game. This length of time is sufficiently enough for them. Thus this amount of time will significantly engage them and not necessarily boring or stressing them. This will often make these kids to always look forward to having their game night time.
1. Creative’s Education More Fun with Words – Best Creative Games for Kids
With the help of creative’s education more fun with words, kids learn best how to build 4/5 letter words. By bringing together finely illustrated pictures of objects that have to do with the child surrounding.
As the child makes an effort to fix the correct pieces together to complete the pictures and at the end spell the word. The child in the cause of this builds sound vocabulary, learns how to spell and form new words.
As the child further progresses to practice new words, this helps to strengthen the child’s visual discrimination skill, observation, and concentration.
- It has beautiful images
- It has a product dimension of 28 x 23.3 x 3.3 cm
- It has a 24-page activity book and also has the activity guide
- It has 30 puzzles
- it comes with cards
- More fun with words
- An item weight of 4.54 g
- Help the child learn how to spell
- It helps in strengthening the spelling and to improve concentration, observation, and visual discrimination skills for the child.
- It builds vocabulary skills in kids
- It improves concentration in kids
- This is a real booster to the brain capacity
- The coordination between the eyes and hands is significantly enhanced.
- The card quality is too poor
- The puzzles are not sturdy enough
2. Jungle Magic – The Best Kids Botany Game in India
The game is all about the act of teaching and exposing kids to botany. What plants need to survive, how come plants usually grow towards the direction of sunlight? This board game helps in the improvement of the kid’s knowledge of the plant.
It improves the kid’s in entirety i.e. 360 degrees (mentally, physically, emotionally etc.). This is the first of its kind in India that helps kids to learn botany.
- Consist of 7 different seeds for each pack
- Comes with 6 small pots
- Has 2 measuring cups
- It comes with 2 wooden spatula
- It has 2 droppers
- Comes with 6 soil pallets
- Has 1 instructional booklet
- Has 1 colored yarn
- Comes with 1 India shaped gardening tray
- The instructional material comes with 20 different experiments to learn from.
- It is the first of its kind in India
- It helps the kids to learn garden science easily
- It helps to teach children how plants germinate? What is needed for plants to grow, how plant roots work and why a plant grows towards the light?
- The only challenge to this game is that it asks so many questions.
- It is not suitable for kids under 3 years of age
3. JLG Wooden Board 12-12 Ludo Snakes & Ladders – Best Game for Outdoor Picnic
If you are looking for a board game that can be played at a picnic then this is an ideal choice. This comes with a dice shaker cum roller that helps in preventing cheating among players. The board game is a superb game. A very cool game to keep the kid busy.
In playing this very fun game, a player rolls the dice and then race 4 pieces around the board before the next opponent takes a turn. In playing this game, a player rolls strategically and if you are opportune to land on the same place or space that an opponent landed, then the piece is sent back to the home base and then need to start over.
- The Ludo Canvas surface is attached to the lawn like sheet mat
- Made from wood
- Teaches children patience, sharing, taking turns, color coordination and counting.
- Help to teach cognitive thinking
- The pieces can be moved on the board
- Has four colors (Blue, Red, Green, and Yellow)
- Standard size Ludo Snakes and Ladder
- Light weighted
- Great quality material
- It helps in the development of counting and addition for kids
- The dices are not of great quality
4. Magnetic Puzzles Squarethe – Best Imaginative Kids Board Game
This is an excellent building tool, which fires imagination in kids in their quest for knowledge. This game is entirely engaging; thus it keeps kids in-doors developing their innate creative abilities.
- It has a display stand
- It has 250 colorful magnetic square
- It has a puzzle book
- It comes with a magnetic canvas
- The board game comes with a bigger tray
- The board game for kids comes with a stronger and better magnetic board
- It fires kids up for deep thinking and logical reasoning
- It exposes kids for infinite and boundless opportunities
- kids can start brainstorming on various subject matters at a very tender age
- It is a beautiful art piece
- Small parts can easily be swallowed by kids if not adequately guided
- The packing is not the best.
5. Mattel Scrabble Board Game, Multi Color – Best Original Kids Scrabble Game
Mattel is known for its famous Scrabble Original. This scrabble board is made from very high-quality materials that followed proper check and control. It is built are built to withstand years of usage.
The unique feature of this board game is that it can be enjoyed both by kids and adults. This fun game is very educational as well as entertaining. It helps children to develop their spelling, vocabulary, and others preparing for tests. This kids board game enables the child to study, learn and at the same time enjoy a game.
- Can be played by two to four players
- Unisex suitable for both genders.
- Recommended age of 10 years of age and above
- The game is strong and sturdy
- The game is both educational and entertaining
- Comes with robust tiles and lasting printing
- A good game in developing vocabulary and spelling formation
- Comes in multicolor
- An item weight of 980 g
- A package dimension of 37 x 26.6 x 5 cm
- It has plastic cards.
- Form a word using any of your 7 letter tiles drawn at random
- Word must use a letter tile already in play on the board
- Scores are given for letter values and are boosted by premium squares on the grid
- Can withstand years of use with an indelible and lasting printing
- Can be enjoyed by all age of kids and even adults
- A great product with just low price
- Plastic cards and lovely print to play with
- The cards are eyes catching
- The game gets complex when we use action cards
- No sufficient player rules
6. Hasbro Sorry – The Best Board Game for Building Tenacity and Perseverance in Kids
Players are expected to Slide and be on a collision course and score to win the game of Sorry. Cards are drawn to see how far you get to move one of your pawns on the board.
If you happen to land on a Slide, you can zip to the end and blow your opponents’ pawns – or your own! You are expected to Jump over pawns and hide in your safety zone while getting powers with the 2 power-up tokens.
It is expedient and also expected that you Keep moving and bumping until at last, you get all three of your desired pawns from your color. Start to your color Home. In all of these Endeavour to watch out, because if eventually you get bumped, Sorry! It’s all the way back to Start de novo!
- Classic Sorry! is mystery cum solving guessing fun game.
- To keep it real, fun and going you Bump other players’ pawns and hide in your Safety Zone, where pawns of different colors can’t enter
- Ability to Power-up tokens gives you special powers which invariably positions you for the championship
- It has a product dimension of 4.1 x 25.7 x 26.7 cm
- It has an item weight of 1 pound
- It has a shipping weight of 454 g
- It comes with 2 power-up tokens
- Slide, collide and score
- The number of game players is six
- It is multicolor
- This is an excellent set in a very sturdy box
- It has superb and great good cards
- It has got great pawns and fantastic game boards
- There is no consistency in the rules governing the sorry game.
- The number of pawns per person is less.
7. Funskool Jenga – The Best Stacking in India Game
This game is mostly all about arranging and stacking of wooden blocks in such a way that you end up building a commanding tower. The beauty of the game is not just all about building the tower, it goes beyond that because the players will need to dismantle the tower after it had been erected.
This is a game that can be played by kids and adults. It comes with no learning curve and you don’t get tired of playing it. It is often seen as the original wood block game. One thing that makes the game an easy catch for kids is that the rules are simple as it involves just stacking a block into a tower and not allowing them to fall.
In pulling the building blocks, he ensures that the tower does not topple or collapses. It requires patience and accuracy of the highest level.
- The game stands the test of time; it lasts for a very long time
- The blocks are tough and does not get easily damage.
- It is safe proof because it is devoid of sharp edges
- The rules of the game are precise.
- The wooden blocks are nicely finished
- A stacking block game
- The wooden blocks are nicely and thoroughly finished
- It is compact, small and very much easier to move about
- It is highly durable
- It has been designed both for the aged and young.
- The cubes are uneven
- The game can entirely be tasking since it requires a whole lot of patience.
8. Skillmatics Educational Game: Brain Games, 6-99 – The Best Skill Building Kid Board Game
The game is skillmatics and it is centered on building core skills in kids. The skills includes but it is not limited to strategizing, logical thinking, trouble shooting, observation, problem-solving, critical thinking, focus and attention etc.
The game is scientifically built, thus allowing kids to brainstorm, stretch their mental power and at the end the mind is subjected to real training. This game is fully designed for the age bracket of 3-6 years and 6-9 years. The product comes with an innovative write and wipes technology with a completely new avatar.
- It comes with re-usable activity mats
- An achievement certificate
- It comes with a pen and a Squik.
- It also has a duster
- An item weight of 200g
- Product dimension of 22.9 x 19 x 2.5 cm
- It helps to build the mental capacity and cognitive ability of kids
- It is portable and very much easy to carry
- It has a highly engaging game, which helps to build core skills
- It helps kids to decode patterns and ensure that they do things differently.
- The pen is not strong enough
- The game seems too technical for kids that are under 10
9. Funskool Game of Life – Best Kid Board Game That Teaches Life Vital Lessons
The game mostly emphasizes the fundamental things about life, it teaches and promotes hard and smart work in kids. It also teaches kids the need to prioritize their activities.
Game of life is a life changer in the sense that it teaches kids the basics and tenets of life which goes further to sharpen their life as they grow into adulthood. It touches on all aspects of life in an easier and fun packed way.
- An item weight of 1.42 kg
- It has a product dimension of 5 x 52 x 30 cm
- It has game pieces
- It comes with a wheel
- A chance to Earn valuable life tiles by doing good deeds
- It teaches the essence of good deeds in life
- It promotes prudence in kids
- It helps kids to gain mastery and efficiency in math’s
- It teaches all aspects of life in an easier way
- It exposes kids to learning curves in life
- The insurance and rupee notes are not made of top quality
- The insurance notes and rupees were not laminated.
10. Funskool Monopoly Deluxe – Best Kid Competitive Game
In this fun-filled game, players compete and play amongst themselves in a bid to seeking who will emerge the wealthiest amongst themselves. With the help of monopoly deluxe kids are taught the very act of purchasing choice properties.
To emerge as the winner in the game, you must have won choice and valuable properties and collected the money also. Kids are taught how to be careful, frugal and trained on how to make wise investments on properties.
- The graphics on the board is of great quality.
- It has a product dimension of 37 x 25.8 x 7
- It comes with a pack of money, dice, 32 luxury houses, and 16 community chest cards.
- Suitable for kids above the age of 8.
- Comes with an instruction manual.
- It helps to boost strong judgment skills in children
- It actively develops cognitive abilities in kids
- It helps kids develop interactional skills
- Kids come to speed with the essence of investments in choice properties.
- Kids tend to be exposed to money very early
- The board is folded which may not guarantee durability.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the differences between a 1st generation and 2nd generation games?
The significant difference between 1st edition and 2nd edition of children board games are some updates in 2nd edition. These can be an updated rule, easier to learn and comprehend than the previous version.
2. Kids usually throw their pieces away when they lose out in a game. Thus they have challenges controlling their frustration?
Choose games with lower conflict potential or games that are entirely co-operative.
3. Kids have difficulties understanding the rules of board games
If a child has challenges understanding the rules, go further and simplify the rules. It will aid the child in coping and understanding.
4. Should kids win all the time while playing with an adult?
Playing a board game with a kid is an art form. Letting the child win always creates a falsehood that may not be sustainable. You can as well let him win sometimes, but try and teach him the act of learning to lose graciously.
5. Most of these games seem too exorbitant why?
Remember quality comes with a price tag on it. Remember quality games hold their values, and they tend to they tend to hold up better over time.
6. Does playing kid board games make me smarter?
Kid board games do not only make you smarter, but it also broadens your general knowledge and gives you that security on the mind that you have always sought for.
7. Is the kid board game a necessity in the family?
It is not necessarily a necessity in the family, but it is highly recommended because it helps to bond family members and also kills boredom.
8. When is the best time to play kid board games?
There is no fixed time to play games, but most families prefer playing kid board games in the night. Some parents usually use it to distract the attention of kids from the television.
9. How long does it take to play kid board games?
There is no slated time for board games; it is dependent on the nature of the board game played.
10. Any precaution in making sure that kid board games are kept safe condition?
Avoid food or drink that could spill on the components in the cause of playing games.
11. Is it worth spending on board games?
Yes, it is worth spending on because it helps build the interpersonal relationship, stimulates the brain and thinking ability amongst kids.
12. How often are board games played?
It is dependent on the occasion, i.e. (during vacation, weekends, and school days) so the play time varies depending on the event.
13. How many board games are expected of a family?
This is purely dependent on your financial strength because no quantity can be a waste provided you are getting the maximum entertainment and knowledge from it.
14. Who are the persons expected to play kid board in the home?
The game can be played by all persons who are interested (parents, grandparents, children, uncles, aunties, friends, visitors, nephews, etc.)
15. Where is the best or ideal place to play kid board games?
Anywhere can serve as long as there is a space that can contain the number of players and kids to make a complete number for the game and also comfortable for the children
16. Why should kids play board games?
It is expedient that kids play board games because it strengthens their mental faculties and broadens their knowledge on different issues.
Kid board games are essential in the growth process of kids because it goes a long way in improving their brain capacity, viz-a-viz their numeral skills and vocabulary ability. Board games improve the bonding of parents with their kids at home, so it is highly and significantly recommended in every home. Parents/guardians should always factor in the age of their kids/wards before purchasing any form of a board game.