Top 10 Camera Accessories Reviews
Getting a great shot from your camera depends on more than just the quality of the camera. There are lots of factors that play a vital role in getting this great shot. The camera accessories determine some of these factors.
The camera accessories you need will vary depending on the type of photography you want to perform. Some users may require up to three extra batteries while one additional battery will be enough for other users. A camera bag is another helpful accessory that helps users arrange their kit safely and securely.
In this article, we will be looking at what are these camera accessories, camera accessories one should have, and what are the factors that you need to consider before buying essential accessories to improve your photography and the 10 best camera accessories online.
Top 10 Camera Accessories
Best Compact Flash
Best Battery Grip
Best remote control
Best Camera Backpack
Best replacement viewfinder
Best Wireless Remote
What Are Camera Accessories?
A camera accessory is any component or device you attach to your camera to improve the quality of the camera output. The camera output may be the image quality, battery life, or stability of the camera. There are lots of camera accessories that are available to anyone that is willing to invest in them.
It is essential you invest in these accessories for improvements in what you have to offer. Below are some essential accessories you need.
Camera Accessories You Should Have.
Camera cleaning gear
A camera cleaning gear is an assembly of various items and tools that aid in the maintenance and cleaning of the camera and its various parts. It is necessary in order to keep your camera in good shape for your next photography session.
An excellent camera cleaning gear consists of various tools that are essential for the maintenance of a specific part of the camera. The following are some of the tools that make up a camera cleaning gear:
This is important to help remove dust from the crevices of the camera. A soft-bristled brush is advisable to prevent it from causing scratches on any part of the camera.
A blower is a simple tool that is used in blowing air on the camera to remove dust from areas that are difficult to reach. It is essential in order to prevent the use of compressed air that may cause damage to the camera. A blower may either be made of rubber or silicon material.
A cleaning fluid is a solution that is safe for use on a camera. Unlike regular cleaning solutions, a camera cleaning fluid doesn’t cause any form of damage to the camera. The common optical cleaning fluids are usually alcohol-based solutions.
There are other tools that you can find in a camera cleaning gear including sensor swabs, cleaning wipes, cleaning pen, and more.
Having an external flash on your camera offers an opportunity to make the most of every shot you take on the camera. As a photographer, if you are in search for cool photography accessories, a flash is one of the accessories you will need in order to add a touch of professionalism to your photos. It is also important you get an external flash since the built-in flash on most cameras is usually of low quality.
Other common names that people use in referring to the external flash is a flash gun or a speedlight. The importance of the flash will vary depending on the conditions under which you intend to take your photographs. A flash is useful in taking pictures in dark environments and in minimizing the dark shadows that form during the day.
Purchasing an external flash that can function without the need to attach it to the camera body is a great option. In cases where you will be working as an architectural or landscape photographer, an external flash may not be necessary. For those that will be diving into portrait photography, an external flash is an accessory you need to invest in.
Extra Memory Cards
As the technology and output of cameras keep advancing, they require more space to store each picture file. A bigger camera sensor often results in larger image size.
The need for additional memory cards becomes apparent when you have to take photographs at an event. It is also necessary to consider the type of memory card that will be suitable for the camera. Depending on the frame per second of a camera, it may require either an SD or CF memory card.
As a photographer, it would be wiser to purchase multiple memory cards that have smaller sizes than a single memory card with a lot of space. If you develop this habit, you can limit the impact of having a memory card that is corrupted. If you have multiple memory cards, you can simply use another. Having a single large memory card implies that you will be unable to work until you purchase another memory card.
Having multiple 32GB memory cards can be helpful. Memory cards at this size are usually cheap, fast, and spacious. Purchasing a 64GB memory card may put you at risk as you will be taking a lot of shots on the memory card before it is full. Any damage to such a memory card means you will lose a large number of shots.
Inasmuch as you need a memory card that is cheap, you must ensure that you purchase memory cards from reputable manufacturers.
If you will be purchasing multiple memory cards, then it is also important you have a memory card holder to go along. The memory cardholder is a protective case that can protect the memory cards from water and shock. Most memory card holders are suitable for SD cards, micro SD cards, and CF cards.
How to Select a Memory Card
The Card Format
The type of card format you will need to purchase will depend on the camera specification. There are various card formats available on the market. The most popular card format is the SD card or Secure Digital. The CF cards or Compact Flash cards are another format that was commonly available on older cameras. These are slowly being phased out of the market.
There are other memory card formats that cameras use. These include the XQD cards and the CFast cards. If you are unsure of the type of memory card you need, simply read through the user manual of the camera to find out the card format that is necessary for operation.
The Card Speed
As camera technology keeps improving, there are now cameras that feature large sensors with very high frame rates and video capture features. On such cameras, the photo/video data is at a very high speed. It is, therefore, necessary to have a memory card that can handle these high-speed data from the camera.
A memory card that can handle the speed of the camera is essential for other reasons. One of these reasons is to prevent the buffer from filling up at a rapid rate. If the buffer should fill up, the camera will have to empty the buffer before it can capture any other shot. It means you will have to wait for a few moments until the process is complete to use the camera.
Like the card format of the camera, the user manual will also have information on the recommended speed of the memory card you should purchase.
The Card Capacity
Deciding on the memory card size your purchase can be very tricky. As memory cards become cheaper, it is now possible to get a large size at a relatively low cost. In addition, cameras now require a lot of space due to the increase in the size of camera sensors and pixel counts.
Nonetheless, it is advisable to break down a larger memory card into smaller sizes. For instance, instead of purchasing a single 64GB memory card, you can opt for two 32GB memory cards. This method may require additional money investment, but it protects you from losing all your valuable files in case the memory card gets damaged or corrupted.
Do You Need a Memory Card Reader?
After taking a lot of important photos and videos using your camera, you must think of how you will be transferring these photos and videos out of the memory card. With most cameras, you have the option of connecting directly to your computer through a USB cable. Other cameras offer the option of transfer using the Wi-Fi option. If your computer has an SD card reader built-in, this is another option.
For those that don’t have the Wi-Fi option or a built-in SD card reader, then purchasing an external memory card reader is advisable. The memory card is more versatile and is useful in various situations. In case you don’t have battery power on your camera for USB transfer, no built-in SD card reader on the computer, or no Wi-Fi on the camera, then the memory card reader will come in handy.
The remote control is a useful accessory for anyone who intends to take their photography to the next level. The remote control or remote shutter release is an accessory that lets users take a photograph without touching the camera.
It is important in cases where you need to use a macro or telephoto lens. It is also useful when there is a need to reduce the shutter speed to take photographs with motion blur, low light, and light paintings. If you need to take pictures of timid or dangerous objects as well as in shooting multiple exposures, then a remote-control shutter is essential.
Depending on the conditions you intend to use the shutter, there are different shutters available. It is important you consider a few factors before selecting a shutter for your camera. Below are some of these factors:
Factors for selecting a remote control
There are different situations when you will need to take a photograph. Depending on the situation you take most of your photographs, you will need to determine if remote control is useful.
Any situation with a low light condition will require a remote-control shutter release since it will be necessary to slow down the shutter speed. Shooting HDR images and skittish subjects also require a remote control.
In situations where you must take a picture of a dangerous subject, the remote control will enable you to keep a safe distance from the subject. Taking photos of momentary bursts of light and multiple exposures also require a remote control.
Macro photography and the use of telephoto lenses also require a remote control for high-quality output.
Tethered or untethered remote control
The remote control for a camera can either be a tethered remote control or untethered.
The tethered remote control refers to those that require a cable to connect to the camera. In this regard, the distance at which you can stay from the camera is limited by the length of the cable.
An untethered remote control offers more versatility in its use. It operates wirelessly and is often in two parts – a transmitter and a receiver. The receiver is connected to the camera while the receiver will be in your possession.
This is a feature that is available on some remote controls. By activating this function, there will be a delay in the response of the camera after you press the shutter release button. The delayed shutter can help improve the clarity of the image when using slow shutter speed.
You can select a long delay, or a short delay and the feature also helps in minimizing vibration. There is usually an LCD screen to indicate the timer on the camera.
Number of shots and intervals
The remote-control shutter release also offers users the option of selecting the number of shots they intend to take. They can also select the interval between each photograph you are taking on the camera. It gives you an opportunity to set a new background or get a new posture.
Purchasing extra batteries is very important if you decide to use an external flash with your camera. As the flash uses up a lot of battery power, you will need additional batteries to get you through your photography session.
Extra batteries are also essential if you are traveling to a location where you won’t have easy access to an electrical outlet. You don’t want to travel a long distance only to return without achieving your objective due to your battery running down.
The inclusion of a battery grip when using your camera also makes it necessary to purchase additional batteries. A battery grip provides higher frames-per-second on the camera. If you want to be comfortable when using the camera, having three batteries can eliminate any worries you might have.
If you want to keep your camera in place, eliminate vibrations, and prevent shaking, then a camera tripod is an accessory you must not overlook. For those that intend to use a remote control with their camera, you also need a tripod for this purpose. Images you obtain when using a tripod are usually very sharp and have a lot of detail.
Tripods come at different prices. You should also understand that the prices usually affect the quality of the product. You want to get a tripod that won’t fall over when you set up your camera or in a breeze.
Tripods are versatile accessories that find use in portrait, street, landscape, wedding, and night photography. Due to the stability, it offers your camera, a tripod is a great accessory to have when you need to take long exposure shots or in low light conditions.
There are different tripod materials available. Some have aluminum material while others use carbon fiber. Carbon fiber is a lot lighter than aluminum but it is more expensive.
Factors to Consider
The Tripod Legs
The tripod legs are very important when making your selection. You want to be sure that the legs can support the weight of the head and the camera. In most cases, legs that are sturdy and heavy are a great choice. These will complete the task of eliminating any vibration or wobbling of the camera.
There is a major disadvantage of a tripod leg that is sturdy and heavy. It is in the weight of the tripod legs. These are not usually very easy to carry around and they are often legs made from aluminum.
You can also search for legs that come with leg warmers that make them comfortable to handle when the weather is cold.
The tripod head is the part that sits above the tripod leg and below your camera. When you purchase a tripod, it usually comes in a set with the head included. Nonetheless, you can decide to get another head in case you don’t like the head that comes with the set.
Features of a Camera Bag
There are lots of features you need to look out for when selecting a camera bag. These include the material, closure, and compartments of the bag. A water-resistant bag will also be considered if you are more interested in outdoor photography.
Camera bag materials that you will find include polyester, canvas, synthetic, leather materials, and others. For the closure, you can expect to find button snaps, buckles, magnetic snaps, drawstrings, and a few others. Regardless of the various designs you find on the market, it is important the bag you select matches your taste and is functional for the purpose you intend to use it.
1. Osaka Camera – Our pick
Popular on the market for offering best camera accessories, you cannot go wrong when you pick one from this manufacturer. Each product assures users of functionality, usability, and durability. The TTL flash Speedlite is an excellent choice as it is useful for both Nikon and Canon cameras.
It features a display screen and is compatible with triggers like the TIFY and GODOX in the operation of the flash.
- It has a fast recharge feature that requires between 0.1 to 3 seconds
- There is a 4-channel wireless control that makes it useful in case of special lighting or multi-flash setup
- It offers excellent flash coverage with the wide-angle diffuser and power zoom lens control feature
- The flash protects itself from overheating and also has a power saving mode under the various self-protective features available
- Multiple flash modes including LED, stroboscopic, automatic, Canon master, Nikon master, slave N, slave, C and more
- Mounting on any Canon or Nikon DSLR camera will activate the automatic E-TTL and i-TTL detection
- It has a high-speed sync feature with an adjustable power output
- It is suitable for use on various types of camera including Nikon and Canon cameras
- There are easy to use buttons on the flash as well as a display screen to give you a clear view of your settings
- It requires 4 AA batteries that users need to purchase separately before they can utilize the product
2. SanDisk CompactFlash Memory Card – Best Compact Flash
Founded in 1988, SanDisk has remained one of the most important manufacturers of memory cards in the world. During its growth, the company continued to acquire other brands that proved to be major players in the industry. This product, like other SanDisk products, offers high-speed transfer and durability.
- This memory card offers high-speed data transfer with write speeds of up to 150MB/s and reads speeds of up to 160MB/s
- The memory card is specifically designed to address the needs of photographers and videographers
- It features the Video Performance Guarantee-65 (VPG-65) that offers a minimum of 65MB/s write speed with full HD and 4k Ultra HD video recording without interruption
- The 32GB memory space can store up to 2000 photographs and 28 minutes of 4K ultra HD video recording
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- The RescuePRO Deluxe data recovery software comes with the memory card and provides the opportunity for users to easily recover any file that they accidentally deleted from the memory card
- The memory card has a high data transfer speed that reduces the time users must wait when copying files from the memory card to a computer
- It supports use on cameras with high frames-per-second and is suitable for different types of camera
- There are lots of fake products available on the market that make it possible for users to end up with lower speeds and very short lifespan
3. Neewer Pro Battery Grip – Best Battery Grip
Neewer is a brand that focuses on the photography, music, and film industry. Established in 2010, the brand is owned by the Shenzhen Xing Ying Da Industry co. with retail outlets around the world. The brand offers equipment and accessories that range from amateur to professional level.
This battery grip supports the use of two EN-EL14 batteries on a Nikon camera.
- It can hold 2 EN-EL14 Li-ion batteries for longer use of the camera before recharging
- There is a tripod mount at the bottom that makes it possible for users to connect the grip to a tripod with ease
- There is a vertical grip shutter release button that makes it easy to use the camera with the grip attached
- A cable is included in the package and it is necessary to connect the cable to make use of the shutter release button feature
- It supports various Nikon cameras including the D3200, D5100, D5200, and D5300
- The grip connects to the camera with ease but requires users to remove the battery door
- Users can extend the use of the camera by attaching two batteries which makes it suitable for long photography sessions like wildlife photography
- The inclusion of a tripod mount makes it possible to still make use of the camera in situations where you don’t want any vibration
- The shutter release button will only function if you connect the cable that comes with the battery grip
4. QuikProf Shutter Release Cable – Best remote control
QuikProf is a brand that deals in the supply of accessories to anyone that is willing to take their photography to the next level. The accessories available include head straps, handlebar camera mounts, waterproof camera cases, remote control release shutters, and more.
This product is one of the many great designs that this brand offers and best canon camera accessories. The main benefits of this remote control shutter release cable lies in its ease of connectivity and simplicity in its use.
- It does not require batteries to operate so users can utilize this remote-control shutter release anytime and anywhere
- The product is simple to use with a cable that is easy to plug for operation
- There is a shutter release button that includes a lock feature
- It is suitable for long exposure shooting, continuous shooting, or macro shooting
- It supports the auto focus feature on a camera
- There is an LED indicator that is visible close to the shutter release button
- It is compatible with various Canon cameras
- This is an essential accessory to prevent the camera from shaking during a shoot
- Pressing the button on the remote control halfway will activate the exposure metering and autofocus features
- Ideal for beginners
- The inclusion of a cable to connect the remote control limits the distance from which a user can stand
5. AmazonBasics Tripod with Bag – Best Tripod
Known for their excellent delivery and product sales around the world, Amazon offers a lot more than just retail services. With the AmazonBasics brand, users can get a lot of high-quality products designed to meet the needs of customers.
This tripod is no exception is the best tripod on amazon as it offers a lightweight, swivel feature, and a bag for easy portability.
- The tripod features a quick release mounting plate that is an excellent addition for users that will need to move from one location to the other very quickly
- It features a collapsible tripod leg design with aluminum materials for the leg design which make it sturdy but relatively lightweight
- To prevent damage and ensure proper storage, the tripod comes with a storage bag into which the tripod can easily fit
- The legs offer a full height of 50 inches and offer the option of individual adjustment and a lever lock
- The 3-way head of the tripod allows users to adjust the camera to any angle and it also includes a 360-degree swivel function
- It is compatible with video, still, and digital cameras
- Using this tripod on uneven surfaces is possible thanks to legs that can be adjusted individually with a lever lock to hold it in place
- The bag that comes with the tripod is very useful for storage and transportation
- Due to the lightweight aluminum in use, it is not sturdy enough for use in certain outdoor conditions
- While you can make use of a mobile device with this tripod, there is a need to purchase a phone holder separately
6. Brain Freezer DSLR/SLR Backpack Case – Best Camera Backpack
Brain Freezer is quite popular for the production of accessories and the brand is also common on the Amazon platform. This camera backpack is a great addition to your camera gear, and it is a suitable option to ease the stress of moving from one location to the other. It will meet the requirements of a travel bag and also a simple bag.
- It has shoulder straps that are adjustable in addition to the heavy paddings to make it very comfortable
- There are two mesh pockets that can be used as storage space for smaller accessories like batteries, cardholder, memory card, and so on
- It is a lightweight bag with excellent padding, so it does not compromise on internal safety
- The padded dividers on the inside of the bag are adjustable to make it possible to customize the arrangement of your gear
- Maintenance is very easy as it cleans and washes without stress
- The bag is made of high-density durable nylon that is abrasion resistant
- It is suitable for use in all weather and it is waterproof
- The exterior straps are designed for users to attach and carry a tripod with the bag
- The design of the bag and the shoulder straps make this bag very comfortable to carry around
- It is compatible for use with various cameras including Nikon, Sony, Canon, Olympus, and more
- For some users, the size of this bag may be quite small
7. Samsung Memory Card with SD Adapter – Midrange
Samsung is more popular for its high-end smartphones, laptops, televisions, and so on. Another area that the company invests in is in the memory cards sector. It is an essential aspect that provides support for the operation of its other devices.
The Samsung EVO Plus is a high-quality SD card that is useful for recording 4K UHD videos at a high speed. There is also an adapter for easy connection to laptops and other devices.
- The memory card features 4-proof protection that makes it x-ray proof, magnet proof, temperature proof, and waterproof
- It offers high-speed data transfer with users enjoying up to 95MB/s file transfer speeds
- Based on the type of file, this 32GB memory card can store up to 7,500 photos, 4 hours of full HD video, or 1 hour 30 minutes of 4K UHD video
- It comes with an SD adapter that makes it easy to connect to other devices such as a laptop for file transfer
- It has a UHS-I interface that is compatible with the HS interface. Using the product on an incompatible device will result in variations in the speed
- The waterproof feature of this memory card makes it a great product with the ability to withstand up to 72 hours in seawater
- The large memory size can store up to 7,500 photos but it may vary depending on the specification of the camera
- A lot of users complain about the durability of the memory card but this may be as a result of fake products circulating the market
8. SHOPEE Eyecup Viewfinder – Best replacement viewfinder
Looking through the viewfinder on your camera is necessary to get the best quality image output and stability when taking a photograph. To ensure that it is comfortable to look through the viewfinder, there is a small eyecup on the surface of the viewfinder for users to rest their eyes comfortably.
This product serves as a replacement and is available at a low price. The rubber material also makes it very comfortable to use.
- It connects to the viewfinder eyepiece with ease to unnecessary light from getting into the eye
- The rubber body of this eyecup viewfinder makes it very comfortable for use to anyone including those that use glasses
- It is an excellent accessory that also protects the eye by reducing the vision fatigue of the user
- It is suitable for various Nikon cameras
- The eyecup mounts on the viewfinder of the camera with ease and protects the viewfinder during storage
- It fits excellently as a replacement for lost eyepiece on your camera
- It is lightweight, durable, and very easy to use
- The use of rubber in designing this viewfinder makes it comfortable for the user with a cushioning effect
- Users have appreciated the quality
- There is no warranty on this product
9. AmazonBasics Wireless Remote Control – Best Wireless Remote
Another important camera accessory from Amazon, this wireless remote control offers easy use of the camera when taking night shots, long exposures, or dangerous objects. This remote is suitable for Nikon cameras but there is also an option for Canon cameras.
It has a very slim design that makes it easy to keep out of sight during use.
- It allows users to control the camera wirelessly with a range of 16-feet
- There is a carry case that provides protection and improves portability
- It uses long-lasting CR2 batteries
- The remote control has a slim form factor and a small design that makes it difficult to notice when holding
- It works from any direction, front, back, and sideways
- There is a 1-year warranty on this remote control
- It is compatible with various Nikon cameras
- The remote control is very easy to connect and setup for use with a camera
- This remote enables a wireless shutter activation for various Nikon cameras in order to eliminate vibration and prevent the camera from shaking due to touch
- There is a simple pouch that makes it easy for users to carry the remote around
- The AmazonBasics 1-year limited warranty is available on the remote
- It is a simple remote that only offers the option for a few seconds delay
10. AmazonBasics AAA Batteries – Low range
Cameras and accessories that use the AAA type of battery are still quite common making these batteries very useful to photographers. A significant downside of this battery is that it is non-rechargeable, but it has a very long life of 10 years. There is an anti-leakage feature that makes the battery excellent for storage.
- The high-quality design of these batteries gives them an anti-leakage property in cases of over-discharge use and storage
- It has a shelf life of up to 10 years due to the use of a unique triple layer structure
- The pack features 8 AAA batteries
- In addition to digital cameras, it is also suitable for use in controllers, toys, and other devices
- It has a new and improved zinc composition with enhanced anti-corrosion components
- The design makes it suitable for use in both high drain and low drain devices
- Unique processing ensures that the terminals of the battery maintain contact with the device
- There is a short circuit preventive washer to protect against the build-up of heat and also hinder leakage
- The long battery life makes it an excellent choice to purchase for use in a camera
- Many users have appreciated the quality of the product
- These batteries are not rechargeable
There are various camera accessories listed in the product review and each is unique to a category. We have selected the best from each category to give a variety of accessories that can help improve your photography.
There are lots of other camera accessories that you may find on the market. It is essential you buy from a reputable retailer since there are lots of fake accessories available on the market.