Best Board Games for Adults In India
In recent years, we people have seen a drastic shift, from an age of Outdoor games and Board games to that of online and smartphone games. Whether or not these games are causing an adverse effect on children’s mind is debatable.
From early childhood, most of the children are keen towards playing games, be it a girl or a boy. 2-3 decades back, we could see a variety of outdoor games played by the children. Summer vacation called for going to a friend’s place and playing indoor board games. Board games always seem to find a soft spot in heart no matter how old you grow.
With the advancement of technology and the introduction of new ways to enjoy games, such as Play Station, Video games and mobile phones have gradually reduced the number of children playing indoor board games.
The amount of health issues that it develops by constantly sitting at one place and looking inside your television or computer screens is causing great harm. All these recent games can never be a substitute for all the board games which we used to play 2-3 decades back.
Some of the best board games are listed below. This article will provide you with all the information you need to purchase the right board game for you and your family such as Benefits of playing, Types available in the market , Buyers guide, FAQs and our best board games in India.
12 Best Board Games For Adults
Learn how to manipulate things
An electronic twist to your savings
An electronic twist to your savings
Increases your vocabulary
Deals about your day to day lives
Increases Analytical & Thinking abilities
Increase your Strategic Power
A very popular game worldwide
Develops Cognitive Skills
Decode the clues to win the game
Increase your strategizing power
Benefits of Board games:
Have fun and laughter: One of the biggest advantages of the board games is that it creates an environment of happiness and laughter among those playing it and as well as those around it.
Lowers Blood pressure: As board games increase the level of endorphin, the risk of high blood pressure is reduced which is very good for those suffering from a similar issue.
Speed up your responses: In a study at the University of Toronto, it was proved that, those who indulge themselves in these games are far quicker in responding than those who do not.
Reduces stress: Playing these games frees up your mind and you feel relaxed during the games, which gradually reduces stress from your mind.
Memory Formation and cognitive skills: Most of the board games are designed in such a way that it helps to increase your memory power as well as your cognitive skills, they tend to develop them easily.
Develops your immune system: Thoughts and negative feelings tend to stop your power of fighting with diseases. Since playing these games create a feeling of laughter, they do not make way for negative thoughts.
Ability to Concentrate: All these games require a high level of concentration, so playing them will, of course, increases your power to concentrate and will help you for your day to day lives.
Family time: The biggest problem that joint and nuclear families are facing is the lack of time that they are giving to each other. All of them are indulged in their own work, be it office or school. If we spare a little time for these games then it would surely increase the good times together which would make everyone happy.
The number of players: It is very important to know how many players can the game accommodate and the user must opt to look at this point carefully.
Easy to Setup: It becomes tiresome if the setup of the game is difficult and cumbersome to understand. Users should go for something that is easy to set up and play.
Types of Board games
There are a numerous number of board games which are introduced in the market and all of them have been favorites for most of the people. But, the major categories of board games include,
Roll and Move Games.
Rolls games are the games which fall in that category which involves rolling of dice, spinning of wheel or drawing cards. The primary aim of this game would be to move linearly in a particular direction or to reach a resource. Players start off from a starting point and have to reach some point called the finish line.
Majorly, what you roll, decides the winning factor and the game would depend on that point. Classic examples of these games are, Monopoly, Candyland, and Clue.
Worker Placement Games.
These are games which are slower and involves the use of strategies during play. The primary aim of this game is that there are just a few spaces and you need to get into those before someone else does. You are sending a worker to accomplish your objectives such as capturing territory on the board. In other games, family members are used to capturing living area, food, and resources.
The winner of the game is the one who collects more than their fellow competitors and blocks them in a strategic way. Agricola, Keydom, Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep, Caverna: The Cave Farmers are some of the examples.
The game has players who start with a specific number of cards that get changed and upgraded in course of the game played. It involves the use of fake currencies through which we can buy the upgraded cards. With the course of play, we get to know how different cards tend to interact with each other and comes up with a winner through a finely tuned strategy. Players tend to focus on how to upgrade their available utility so that they could optimize it to gain maximum value. Dominion, Roll for the Galaxy, Clank!, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game are some of the examples of this category.
Secret Identity Game.
Deception is one of the major factors in this game. If you feel joy in lying during the game then this is the best option for you. Secret Hitler, Mafia, One Night Ultimate Werewolf are some examples of this game.
Puzzle games are about numbers, combinations and arranging things. It involves the use of strategies with more emphasis on optimizing and solving problems and riddles. Those math nerds, engineers, and strategists are those who will love this game. Sagrada, Qwixx, Labyrinth, Patchwork are some examples.
Legacy/Battle Board game.
The idea behind the legacy games is that things keep on changing with the game played. You rip up the cards and may write on the board or open an envelope. The character may live and die with the due course of the game. The game proceeds in the form of storytelling and things keep on changing with these stories.
You would be getting a brand new experience each time you play this game with your friends. Those who love storytelling would prefer buying these games. Some of the notable Legacy/Battle board games are Risk Legacy, Pandemic Legacy Seasons One and Two, Seafall, Gloomhaven, Charterstone, Ultimate Werewolf Legacy.
Area Control Board game.
The area control board game revolves around the idea that a specific area belongs to a player and no other players can trespass it or cross it. It is your land and no one else can have it.
You are revolving around the idea that you want to capture a territory available on the tabletop board game and win it. Some of the notable area control board games are Risk, Star Wars: Rebellion, Twilight Struggle, Blood Rage.
One of the main issues regarding board games is the quality of the cards. If they are not of good quality, they wear and tear easily and thus, you lose all the interest for the game. Buy a product that has good quality cards which last longer.
The Number Of Participants
Buy a board game according to the number of participants you want to play with.
Better durable products are more preferable and they last long, thus, causing less wastage of money.
There are a lot of features available in different board games, each with a varying price. Always go for a good game at a good cost.
10 Best Board Games India
1. Secret Hitler – Learn how to manipulate things
This game is new board games for adults available that is about the story of Hitler in 1930s in Germany. The game is developed for players between 5-10. If you plan to have a get-together or you all decide to a night stay at your friend’s home, this game would be a perfect choice.
Each of the players is divided into liberals and fascists and one of them being the Secret Hitler. The liberals have a slight majority over the fascists. The aim of the fascists is to sow distrust among the players and install their cold-blooded leader, and the objective of the liberals is to find the secret Hitler before its too late. The game is about your deceptive features and how to betray your fellow opponents to win the game.
- At the beginning each of the players will close their eyes and the fascists reveal the other fascists their identity. Hitler keeps eyes closed but puts his thumbs up so that other fascists know who the Hitler is.
- Each of the fascists knows who the liberals and Hitler is. The liberals do not know who anyone is as well as the Hitler.
- Each round, the players have to select a President and a Chancellor who from a random deck have to enact a law and have to work together. The players have to find out if they were betrayed when Government passes a fascist law.
- The fascists will use powers to create chaos among the liberals and create war. The liberals have to stop the world from the brink of war.
- The objective of the game is that liberals have to pass 5 liberal policies or assassinate Secret Hitler and the objective of the fascists is to pass 6 fascist policies or to elect Secret Hitler as their chancellor after 3 fascists policies have been passed.
- The game is based on your deceptive power and how you would use the circumstances to manipulate your fellow opponents.
- The game is designed so well that wooden components are used to make the game look more attractive and elegant.
- With the course of play, you will get to open secret envelopes and cards which makes the game look more interesting to play.
- Some users have said that material is of average quality.
2. Kids Mandi Sequence Board Game
Douglas Reuter in Owatonna, Minnesota, in the 1970s, came up with a great idea of inventing an interesting board game called “Sequence Five”. It was first sold in 1982. Kids Mandi Sequence Board Game | Challenging Card Game for Ages 7 & Above is a strategic board game coming with a lot of features.
- Form five rows of poker chips on the board corresponding to the cards played. This is the main objective of this board game.
- This game is designed for two players/two teams or three players/three teams to play
- The package includes 1 Playing Board, 2 Set of Playing Cards, 35 Red Marker Chips, 50 Green Marker Chips, 50 Blue Marker Chips.
- This game is equally efficient to both kids and adults. It helps you to develop the skills of strategizing and thinking 3 steps ahead, lose or win graciously.
- It is fun, exciting and challenging to play this game.
- It creates leisure/bonding time with your family.
- Users have stated the quality of the board is cheap.
3. Monopoly Electronic Banking Board Game – An electronic twist to your savings
In this modern era of cashless wallet and electronic money, Monopoly Electronic Banking Board Game come up with almost the same theory of electronic money and savings. The game is all about the money. The board consists of many houses and hotels and each time you land on those spaces, you have the right to buy it using your cash or even pay rents.
Just as you have your banks to save you transactions, similarly, the game has Electronic banking to save all your money and rent. The player having the most amount of money eventually becomes the winner of this game. These type of board games for adults are popular.
- Unlike all the Monopoly games, this game has an electronic twist to it. It does not require the use of cash, instead, it uses cards to swipe your payments and your rents as well.
- As you travel on the gameboard, you have the right to buy a property or even bankrupt your opponent players for the same.
- Each monopoly game has 4 colour coded cards which can be used to carry out all your transactions.
- It transfers your money just as your real cash for fun. This electronic twist adds a fun element to the prevailing game.
- The game includes the following features: 1 Gameboard, 28 Title Deed Cards, 16 Chance Cards, 16 Community Chest Cards, 2 Dice, 32 Houses, 12 Hotels, 4 Tokens, 1 Electronic Banking Unit, 4 Electronic Banking Cards and Game Guide.
- By adding an electronic twist to the existing property games, it brings about a fun element to your game and makes your game look even more interesting.
- At a time, about 2-4 players can play the game together. This game is meant for kids as well as adults, so your whole family members can play this game.
- The game is very intuitive which means that it could be understood very well and can be set up easily.
- The electronic machine in the game is not of great quality.
4. Mattel Scrabble Board Game, Multi Color – Increases your vocabulary
Brought from the idea of our daily crosswords with which we are familiar with, Mattel Scrabble Board Game is a game of 2-4 players with the main objective of forming words. The board is made up of 15×15 cells. Each cell is designed to accommodate a single letter on it and the scores are distributed by the points given on the cells. The board is marked with premium squares over it. You will be rewarded with more points if you generate unique words.
- It is a classic word game with which most of us are familiar with. Each of the players would be using their seven drawn letter-title to form the words.
- The points are rewarded to each of the players by looking at its commonality of use. There are few spaces on the board which rewards bonuses for the players.
- The next word which needs to be added can only be added if, it adds to any of the existing tiles which is already used or which adds to an already played word.
- This feature leads to a tactical overview because it does not allow players to achieve the bonus points easily. The player which has the maximum points would be considered as the winner.
- The game helps in building concentration.
- The letter blocks are well-built and the letters are printed on them perfectly which makes the game look attractive during play.
- This game helps with the vocabulary of adults as well as children.
- The game should also have a scoring tablet as no one would be interested in writing the scores in a piece of paper.
- The background color might make it difficult in distinguishing letters.
5. Funskool Game of Life – Deals about your day to day lives
The board game Funskool Game of Life revolves around the idea of our day to day lives. If asked about your aim in life, if being diplomatic, we would say that living a good and humble life. Deep down under, we all would want to achieve assets in life, be it houses, offices, cars, and buildings.
This game has events such as going to college, office or even getting back home after work. The objective is to attain the maximum number of assets and whosoever has the maximum assets would be considered the winner of this game.
- It has a linear board in which you move along by spinning a wheel. By moving it, you land on specific spaces that tell you to move to a particular space, either forward or backward.
- There are some intersections that lead you to different directions but ultimately you have to reach the same destination.
- There are also choices regarding insurance and investments but much of the game depends on your luck and does not require too much of thinking and analyzing.
- The game is easy to set up and understand.Just spin the wheel and you will have to do accordingly what is written.
- It helps with quality family time. Adults, as well as children, can play this game together. It helps to share time with each other in their busy schedule.
- The game helps to understand the important aspects of your life.
- Some users have complained about receiving the game with some missing cards.
6. Monopoly Game of Thrones Board Game for Adults – Action packed
Base on the hit television show, Game of Thrones, this board game has been designed to suffice the GOT fans. Monopoly Game of Thrones Board Game for Adults is a new addition to the market with exciting new features.
- Inspired by one of the most hit shows in television, Game of Thrones, this board game comes with an action-packed scene of traveling through the legendary lands of Westeros and you can trade with the locations of the seven Kingdom.
- The game tokens are inspired by the honorary sigils of the great houses, who will you pledge your loyalty.
- The board game comes with a lot of different and interesting coins such as gold dragons and silver stags. The total pieces are 95. In place of hotels and houses, this game includes castles and holdfasts.
- One of the unique features includes cardholder with a music player. You just have to press a button to start playing the songs.
- The distinctive design and the idea behind creating a game based on a TV show that has a large number of fans, add interest to it making it a great option for a house party.
- Just move around the board and buy as many properties as you can.
- According to users, the placement of cards is tough making it look like that the cards are missing.
7. Funskool Scotland Yard – Increases Analytical & Thinking abilities
The Funskool Scotland Yard is a board game which involves a board which has a number of roads, subways and buildings drawn over it. One of the players becomes Mr X. He would keep on moving over the board by traveling through different roads, staying in a building or taking the subways to travel. He takes taxis through different routes. The rest of the players are the detectives acting in a concert.
They also travel through different in order to find out Mr X. The game becomes interesting as it advances and you take on different paths with an aim to find him out.
- While the mode of transportation of Mr X is clear and evident, his exact location is found only by the due course of the game.
- The aim of the players is to find out Mr X’s location, on which road he is, on which building is he staying.
- The game includes 125 fare tickets which are 5 black, 23 pink underground, 43 green bus, 54 yellow taxies.
- The game uses analytical and thinking capabilities of player to find out the correct location of Mr X inside the board game.
- It is a great game for the family which can accommodate 3-6 players.
- If you love watching the series of Sherlock Holmes or if you have a taste towards the detective series, then this game would be the best option for you.
- The font number used in the board games should be a little bigger for reading and understanding.
- All the tickets are white on one side, it would have been better if it was a mix of colors.
8. Funskool Othello – Increase your Strategic Power
True to its tag line minute to learn and a lifetime to master! It is an internationally acclaimed 2-player strategic game, which uses a huge amount of strategy to win this game. This adult board game consists of two colored discs, one side is completely white and the other being completely black.
The primary aim is to outrun your opponent by having your colored discs at both ends of your opponent’s row. The player to do it first would be considered to be the winner of this game. This game is to outrun your opponent by having your colored discs at both ends of your opponent’s row. The player to do it first would be considered to be the winner of this game.
- This board game is a strategic game which consists of an 8×8 board and 64 discs, which is coloured in both the sides, one side is completely black and the other is completely white.
- Black plays the first move and places a checker, the black side being uppermost. He/she must sandwich at least one of their opponent’s pieces that he/she just placed.
- The objective of this game is to outflank the discs that you are playing with on both ends of your opponent’s row.
- Now you would be able to flip all the opponent’s coloured discs to your colour but you have to be careful that your opponents can also do the same. There are many strategic possibilities for this game.
- This game is easy to be learned. Even though if you are new to play this game, you can learn it very fast.
- It is great fun to be played in your family. It increases the quality time that you spend with your family.
- Even when you find that you are kind off losing this game, do not worry, the lead can change at any time just by applying your strategic possibility to this game which can flip the game overall.
- the game is entertaining for both kids as well as adults, so you can even play together.
- The discs are small in size which makes it easier to be displaced, should have been bigger in size.
9. Mayfair Games Catan 5th Edition – A very popular game worldwide
A board game which is worth play and is very interesting when played, Mayfair Games Catan 5th Edition, multi-colour have come up with a cool way of getting players involved in the game. In an exciting game with your opponents, the aim of this game is to expand your settlements and cities with the help of units and buildings such as Garrisons, Libraries, Churches, etc. The German version of this game was first published in the year 1996 with the name “Die Siedler von Catan – Das Kartenspiel.”
- Settlers of Catan became the frontline combatant in the era of Euro-fueled board game scenes.
- The rule of this game is simple, you simply have to capture, occupy and develop an island full of resources such as buildings, towns villages and army.
- It also includes some of the deceptive game conditions that keep changing with the due course of play which makes the game even more interesting to be played.
- A match of Catan can become an impromptu lesson about probability or strategising.
- This board game has been awarded “Game of the Century” award, which itself speaks about how much this game is played worldwide.
- The game can accommodate 3-4 players which mean that almost your whole family can play this game together and share a fun time with them.
- The game has come up with new graphics, boards and card that makes the game look even more attractive and cool to play.
- Users have stated that quality of the game parts is average.
10. Zvata Seekers of Astrod Strategy Board Game– Develops Cognitive Skills
Astrod is considered to be an element that has the ability to power all the universe at once. Each player enters the game with the aim of finding the correct planet which holds the element Astrod. The players need to travel through different labs and spaces which contains a number of clues and findings which would guide you to the correct planet. The first person to reach this planet would be able to find out Astrod and would be considered the winner.
- Each time the game is played, players enter a parallel universe where the planet holding the Astrod would be different in every game.
- Users may have to use their logic and combinations and sometimes even your luck plays a great role to find out the correct planet.
- It has about 15 theme-space component type which makes the game interesting after each game is played.
- This game has the ability to develop your cognitive skills because you need to figure out the correct planet out of the many which require perfect observations and logic to do so.
- It develops your cognitive skills, your ability to focus, observation and logical thinking and also your problem-solving ability. With all these advantages, it becomes a must buy out of all.
- The game is intuitive in nature which makes it very easy to understand and set up.
- It consists of about 150 components in the game which does not make this game boring at all. Each time you start playing the game, you enter a different parallel universe which does not make the game cumbersome and repetitive.
- Card quality can be a little better.
- The size of the board game is big which uses almost a shelf-space.
- The binder clips to align both boards together do not fit in properly.
11. Czech Games Codenames Word Game – Decode the clues to win the game
This game Czech Games Codenames Word Game is based on secret identity. There are two rival spymasters who know the identity of the 25 agents in the game. Each of the rivals team members only knows the agent by their codenames. It would be pretty much fun to figure out all the clues which are provided in the game which makes the game look more interesting. Let us look at the features of this game.
- The objective of the game is that the team which makes contact with all the agents first would eventually win this game.
- Each of the spymasters provides a one-word clue to the members, they have to use this clue to figure out multiple words on the board which will help them to find out the real identity of the agents.
- The teammates try to identify the words through the colour which belong to them. They can even lose if they figure out words with the colour of the opposing team.
- Both the team should avoid the assassins of each other.
- This is a secret identity game which makes the game interesting by including the clues. Secretive nature of this game makes it interesting to play.
- The game can accommodate 2-8 players, suitable for larger size family or a friend’s get together party.
- The game prevails for about 15 minutes which is very good because it does not make the game tiresome and cumbersome.
- The words on the card start to get faded after being used for some time.
12. Hasbro Risk Game – Increase your strategizing power
The board game Hasbro Risk Game is designed for 2-5 players. You may have been familiar with the historical events where the rulers are engaged in battle by leading their troops. Building troops is an important part to win the battle. In Risk game, the objective of the game is to conquer your enemies by winning the battle. This game represents the same.
- The main aim is to get closer to the Global Conquest. As the game proceeds, you have to defeat your enemies to conquer their territories.
- You will have to face alliances, betrayals, and surprise attacks. Be ready to face all of them.
- You will be provided with secret missions throughout the game. The player who finishes all his secret missions and reveal his Secret mission cards first and prove it would be considered the winner of this game.
- The board game includes: 1 board, armies with 40 infantry, 12 cavalries and 8 artillery each, a deck of 56 risk cards, 1 card box, 5 dice, 5 cardboard war crates and game guide
- It is a game filled with strategies and using your wit to defeat your enemies to conquer their territories and win the battlefield.
- It has been equipped with improved cards which speed up the game and does not make it tiring and cumbersome.
- The board has been drawn with rich art which makes the game look even more interesting while playing it.
- Few users have stated that they dint receive few game parts
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which is the most played Board game in the world?
The most played Board game in the world is Chess.
2. Which is the oldest board game?
The oldest known board game in the world is a game called, ‘Senet‘. It was played in some parts of Egypt around 3100 BC.
3. What all skill gets improved after playing a board game?
Some of the skills which get improved after playing a board game are Focus & Attention, Patience, Logic & Strategy, Resource Management, Creative Thinking, and Critical Thinking & Problem-Solving.
There are numerous amount of board games available in the market. There must be a lot of confusions prevailing in your mind, so as to which is the best among these. Looking at all the features and specifications of the board games, we would suggest Secret Hitler. It is one of the popular games out of all these and the most played game. It revolves around the story of Germany in 1930s. This game deals with how manipulative you can be to deceive your fellow opponents.
Another game that we would suggest to the users would be, Monopoly Electronic Banking Board Game which brings an electronic twist to your existing Monopoly game that we are familiar with. The game is meant for kids as well as adults, so both of them can play together and spend quality time by doing so. The game is very easy to understand and set up. So, it could also be one of the options for users to buy.