Top Rated XBox One Games
One thing a gamer loves is a good noise-canceling headphones and gaming keyboard while playing on PC, but ask anyone on what they want to play games on the answer will be Xbox. Xbox One is the gaming console developed by Microsoft as a successor of Xbox 360. All the way back in 1998, Microsoft collaborated with Sega to create the Dream-cast. Microsoft provided a windows CE development environment and the Direct X API to make development on the Dream-cast easier than ever before.
This gaming console was initially called “Direct X box,” but later it was shortened to just Xbox. For those who got there hands on the Xbox gaming console, we’ve put together a list of the best Xbox One games you can buy right now. We have also provided a comprehensive guide to types of Xbox games which will help in your decision making.
Top 11 Xbox Games
Types of Xbox Games
Adventure RPG games (role-playing games)
These are single-player games which require you to hack and slash in order to advance to the next level, set in a fantasy world the game starts with a backstory of the main character which you can customize a ton and the missions he has to complete which will be assigned to you.
Generally, the story of a simple adventure game won’t be that deep compared to an RPG (role-playing game).
Action FPS games (first-person shooter)
These games pump up your adrenaline and take you on a fast-paced ride that gets you addicted very easily. Usually, Action FPS games are multiplayer based so you can play with your friends, but of course, you need Xbox live subscription to get all that good stuff and to be honest it is worth it.
FPS or first-person shooter simply means you see what your character sees. The only downfall to this is that you can’t customize your character.
Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO)
These games are played over the internet with players from all over the world playing with or competing against each other through a certain network.
Players can create virtual lobbies and voice chat with each other to discuss strategies. This kind of games gets updated each month, which brings in a ton of new features and provides a virtual ladder for you to climb and be competitive.
Playing real-world sports which includes baseball, basketball football, hockey, racing cars, WWE etc without moving your body has been made possible, you can play as real-world athletes, drive real-world cars and bikes, improve your skills, obtain rare loot items and play against your friends in real-time as the Xbox can support up to four players locally and more via other networks.
Educational games are a no-brainer; they allow you to have fun and learn things at the same time. Puzzle games involve much thinking and decision-making elements to solve puzzles with different colors and shapes with simple actions.
Educational games are aimed at children, and puzzle games are for adults.
X Box Games Buyer’s Guide
You should know which type of game you want to play before you buy the game if you have been reading till now you have a fair idea of the different type of games that are out there for the Xbox. It’s time to choose whether its an MMO (massively multiplayer online) or an RPG (role-playing game) that you want to get your hands on.
My personal recommendation is to check out the RPG section if you are new to buy Xbox games. You and its usually single player could get used to the controller before you jump into that unforgiving world of Multiplayer mayhem.
This is where it’s going to get a little bit confusing, and price varies if it’s a digital copy or whether the game is used or new, or if it’s a physical copy.
You can get a cheap sports game or an FPS or whichever genre, but you can also get one that’s expensive of the same, the difference, however, for the expensive game is in the graphics and other elements including storytelling voice acting and immersive feel.
Physical or Digital copy
The all-new Xbox comes with a hard drive and the option to download games from the game store by spending real money. The game will be stored on the hard drive, and you could play the game.
A digital copy has a couple of advantages over a physical copy, the game data will not get damaged by any physical means nor do you need to go to a store to buy the digital copy of a game.
Some people prefer physical copies because they like to collect things and show them to friends and family; it’s like reading a book online and reading it the traditional way.
You can’t run an Xbox 360 game on an older Xbox console, but some of the Xbox 360 games are backward compatible with an Xbox one by using an emulator.
A list of those games is available on their website so do check that out before you buy other than that just check whether the game you are purchasing is compatible with your version of the Xbox.
11 Xbox Games – Top Picks
1. Cricket 19 International Edition
This is the ideal Xbox game for the cricket fans as you get everything in this game from 4 K graphics to rich content. The game comes with enhanced handling edges that enable you to field in the outfield and bat against spin bowlers like in the real world. The in-depth details give you a realistic feel while playing.
- Features five matches of the Ashes competition where you can lead the Australian or English teams to glory.
- Allows you to use the Big Ant Studios’ famed community features to create situations for the players to jump into the match at any time.
- Comes with a full ten-team ODI championship mode.
- Control a junior player and develop him into one of the greatest players in the world.
- Comes with enhanced mechanics handling edges.
- Can be played for good family time as it is rated for ages 3 and above.
- Recreates the match with photo-realistic players.
- Includes exciting features to add depth and rich content.
- 4 K graphics.
- No negative points were noticed so far.
2. Destiny 2
Destiny 2 is an online-only FPS (first-person shooter) multiplayer game with elements of an RPG (role-playing game). The game is divided into PvE (player vs. environment) and PvP (player vs. player). The game was developed by Bungie and published by Activision.
Players play as guardians who protect the last safe city on post-apocalyptic earth — exploring other planets to defeat the alien race that stole a certain power from these guardians who are essential to the human species survival. I’m not going to ruin the story for you guys so go play the game ASAP.
- Many game modes to keep you playing.
- Expansion packs are released even as we speak.
- PvE (player vs. environment) includes up to 6 players.
- Exploring other planets and interaction with NPC’s (nonplayer characters).
- Customization of characters.
- Exploring the game world rewards you.
- Events that let you compete for great rewards.
- The economy in the game is simplified so that even a new player can know exactly what to spend their hard-earned resources on.
- More Robust story and a great villain compared to destiny 1.
- You don’t need to play destiny 1 to play destiny 2.
- Fast travel around the map
- Boss fights have stages to them which are different from each other, so it provides you with a far greater challenge.
- Not as fast-paced as it should be.
- A large portion of the map has content that is useless to the players.
- Online only means you need an internet connection to play the game.
3. Witcher 3: The wild hunt
Witcher 3: the wild hunt is the third and final installment of the Witcher franchise. Its a 2015 role-playing game developed by Cd Projekt red which won numerous game of the year 2015 awards.
The Witcher series is based on a fantasy novel written by author Andrzej Sapkowski. It is considered the greatest game of all time.
- The deep storyline with the option to play your version of the story
- 100+hours of playtime
- Great character development and customization
- Dense and deep RPG (role-playing game) mechanic
- Massive open-world environment
- Play the game again to make better decisions and experience an alternate ending
- Expansion packs that let you discover more to the story
- Great controls and optimization for Xbox
- Great dialogues, soundtracks, and Graphics
- Witcher 3 is an expensive game with a very high download size if you want a digital copy.
- PEGI !8 (includes blood,sex&violence) which means its not for kids.
- Have to play the previous witcher games to understand what’s going on in witcher three-story fully.
4. Forza Horizon 3
Forza Horizon is an open-world racing game developed by playground games, and it was published by Microsoft Studios for both the Xbox One and Pc.
The map used in the game is a fictional representation of Australia. A total of 350 real-world cars are available for the players to choose from. Players compete in the many events provided by the game and climb the ranks online to see who is the best rider in the world.
Playground games released eight DLC packs with a lot more car collection to add to the massive collection since the games official release.
- Cross-platform play (PC and Xbox).
- Co-operative multiplayer Campaign.
- Many DLC car packs
- Amazing graphics on both the car and the map.
- Upgrade your cars.
- Various climates.
- Forza Horizon 3 Cars featured have realistic prices.
- Game Option to Tune these cars.
- You can auction cars and buy them at a low price.
- Amazing car sounds and the overall soundtrack.
- Controller vibrates.
- Ultimate Edition of the game unlocks 44 valuable cars which ruin the game experience.
- You earn very little completing races, and the best cars cost so much. So you have to play a lot even to buy one of them.
- Long loading times.
- DLC car packs take a long time to come to your garage because of the long download times.
- Porsche cars not available until you buy/download the packs.
- The menu is not user-friendly.
5. Fallout 4
Fallout 4 is an action-adventure role-playing game that is set in a post-apocalyptic world. Players assume the role of the main character who is called as the “sole survivor.” The game starts with the main character waking up from a state of stasis in an underground shelter.
After being witness to the murder of their spouse and the kidnapping of their child, the players set out on a journey to discover the broken world that lies above the shelter. Fight huge monsters, create and help out factions and level up your character in this open-world one of a kind game. It is developed by Bethesda games and published by the same.
- Switch between first-person and third-person perspective.
- 11,000 lines of dialogue.
- A crafting system that lets you build settlements.
- Free roam and leave a conversation with an NPC (nonplayer character) anytime.
- Customization of armor (adding different layers of armor etc..).
- Best gun-play in any game.
- Lots to explore with each sector having a different touch.
- A lot more fun than other fallout games because of the crafting system that lets you construct and destroy buildings.
- Great immersion to the story.
- The story feels very rushed with a lot of plot holes
- Poor quest designs.
- Except for the crafting system and the improved gun-play the game feels just like the old fallout three games which pissed off the community.
- Fast-paced action lovers won’t like this one.
6. Dark souls 3
Dark souls 3 is the third installment of the dark soul series. It is developed by Form softwareand published by Bandai Namco Entertainment. It is known as one of the hardest action-adventure Role-playing game.
Played in a third-person perspective, players take on a journey to discover one of the most interesting and weird plots that once you complete the game, you feel the hardship worthy of the game. Seriously, by hardship, I mean dying 20 times to figure out how to deal with the very first boss of the whole game.
- Different enemies all with different types of behaviors.
- Deep and twisted storyline.
- Breathtaking graphics with environments you have never seen before in the real world.
- Hard to play and complete (not for the average gamer).
- Huge variety of traditional weapons
- Beautiful level designs.
- Controls are buttery smooth.
- Hard bosses are very hard to defeat, but the game also provides weaker one’s for you to practice for the big one and calm your frustration.
- Expansion packs are available.
- Simplified menu and in-game item mechanics.
- No new spells in-game just the old ones from dark souls 2
- Using spells takes stamina in boss fights.
- Very hard to play, get you frustrated very soon.
Overwatch is a first-person shooter online multiplayer battle arena game developed by Blizzard entertainment. It was released in May of 2016 and is the company’s fourth major franchise.
Players are grouped into two teams of six players each. They fight each other until a certain score limit is reached with being best-scored team taking the victory.
The game provides 20 characters with different attributes and skillsets. Defense, offense, support, and tank are the roles which a player can assume. This is what makes this game different from your typical FPS shooter games like call off duty. These games take a fun approach instead of the more serious military-like game that everyone thinks about when they first hear “FPS.”
- Twenty characters to choose from all with a different set of skills.
- Expansion packs and new maps.
- Ranked mode to play competitively.
- Unique abilities for each character.
- Switch characters while you are playing (after you die as one character, you can change to another character during the death timer).
- Replay system that lets you see your own game-play after the match to improve yourself.
- Insanely fun and very competitive.
- All team members have to work together to win.
- Great community with blizzards top-notch customer services(fixing bugs etc.).
- Rewards can be earned by playing the game.
- Expansion packs are free to download.
- Great matchmaking system that lets you compete against and with the players of your own skill level
- Toxicity in a solo queue (strangers will talk trash about you if you play bad).
- Support role doesn’t get ranked as the other roles in the game(if you want to play support and if you even play that role very well the other roles who played worse than you gets a higher rank when the match ends).
- Players in your team might leave during game-play leaving your team with a disadvantage, and these people don’t get punished much.
8. Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rise of the tomb raider developed by Crystal Dynamics is an action-adventure game played in a third-person perspective. The game was published by Square Enix and its a sequel to tomb raider 2013.
Players assume the role of Lara croft, who is an adventurer to find the fictional legendary city in Siberia. Survival and combat are the main aspects of this game. Slow-paced combat which requires you to think before you act.
This doesn’t mean the game has heart-raising moments in fact activities like climbing steep mountains during harsh windy climate and exploring unknown dangerous environments will keep your adrenaline pumping.
- Siberia’s arctic environment.
- Syria Desert environment.
- More tombs to raid and loot-filled with puzzles.
- Stealth techniques for combat, both against animals and enemies.
- Crafting system (collect specific materials to craft specific item)
- Human-like avatar (amazing graphics).
- New combat (dropping from trees and swimming underwater for a stealth take-down).
- Epic graphics(one of the best graphics in any game).
- Freedom to Choose to kill enemies or you can just evade them by playing stealth.
- Hunting animals to craft items require you to schedule your arrival at the certain location of the map because some animals will only be available at certain times of the day.
- Different climates that look so realistic.
- Interaction with the environment for combat.
- Playing the game on a controller is a bit harder than in a PC.
- Single player-focused game.
9. The Elder Scrolls V : SKYRIM
The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim is an action role-playing game developed by Bethesda games and published by the same. The main objective of the game is to find and destroy a dragon who has taken it upon himself to destroy the world. It is one of the best RPG games ever made.
This game is an open-world game that allows you to roam around the map and complete quest to level up your character and ignore or postpone the game’s story-line. You have the option to switch between First-person and Third-person perspective. The game world provides us with non-player characters which to whom we can interact in a lot of different ways. Players main combat is by sword and magic, but stamina also plays a big part.
- Unending game (the game hasn’t been completed 100% by anyone).
- Dungeons and new expansions keep you doing more and more.
- Great in-depth combat system.
- Hard quest mixed with hard ones to give you a breather.
- Stunning visuals.
- Choose what you want to specialize in (magic,hand to hand combat).
- Using two spells with each hands (heal and cast fireball magic).
- People who want to play it as the First person has the option to switch
- Beautiful soundtrack
- Travel through the map on a horse back or use the fast travel system
- massive open world
- Special edition gives you more realistic graphics
- Bugs and glitches.
- Awkward looking characters.
10. Monster Hunter World
Monster hunter world is an action adventure game developed and published by Capcom. It is played in third-person perspective.
Players assume the role of a hunter and receive bounties to kill monsters out in the wild. This game is for those specific players who likes something different out of their game.
Building traps and investigating on monsters , finding them and killing them by yourself or with up to four of your friends that’s the loop of this game.
Killing low-class monsters and looting resources from them to make better weapons so as to fight bigger stronger baddies. The fight against the monsters are slow paced but there are a ton of ways for you to take the beast down and that what makes this game so unique and fun to play.
- Weapon upgrades
- 14 different weapon types with different play styes for each
- Option to catch or kill monsters
- Lore monsters into the lair of other monster and watch them fight and kill them when they are exhausted.
- Nice consistent challenge
- Co-op up to four players and also interact with other players
- Variety of environments that are designed beautifully.
- Japanese game design that a lot of people like.
- The deeper you go the more you realize other forms of wild life with different behavior which is awesome.
- Stealth techniques.
- Weapons have upgrade trees that will keep you busy for even longer playtime.
- Action-packed cut scenes and a story arc.
- For specific players who just enjoy the thrill of the hunt because it’s slow-paced
- Expensive game as it came out in 2018
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the most popular game on Xbox?
The most popular games on Xbox:
Which is the best Xbox game?
The best Xbox games are:
Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
The Elder Scrolls 5: SKYRIM
Red Dead Redemption 2
Xbox games have constantly been evolving over the past few years. Microsoft’s plan on releasing more exclusives for the Xbox seems like a great idea to catch up to its main competitor, the Sony PS4. The future does look promising with the new titles such as Anthem which is set to release in 2018.
You can choose whichever game you like from our top 10 list of Xbox games but do keep in mind the compatibility when you buy the game. After you decide on the type of game you want to play, just read through the article and find the best game that interest you. However, if you want to play a sports game I would suggest FIFA 18, the reason why the game is not listed here is that the list has better games in terms of overall game-play experience.