Best Showerheads for 2020
If you are feeling groggy in the morning and need to get energized or trying to relax post workout, a hot shower tends to cure all your problems.
The Showerhead determines our experience in the showers and works in a quite simple manner.
It facilitates bathing by providing water in the form of sprays or mists by smoothly transitioning the stream of water that comes out of the faucet.
The showerhead uniformly spreads the hard jet of water to ensure that it falls gently on your skin and avoid a messy situation in the bathroom.
Besides the improved personal comfort when taking showers and more controlled streams of water, showerheads also enable the achievement of higher water pressures, which further helps in the conservation of water.
Usually, the working of a showerhead is determined by two factors; the size of its head and power of the valve.
It is the shower valve that dictates the flow of the water, its speed, and the strength with which it flows.
It is a common practice among many people to presume that a bigger shower head is better, but that is not often the case.
A larger showerhead even with a less powerful valve may be preferable because it spreads water better with a more comfortable feeling on the skin.
Since deciding on the right showerhead is a challenging task, therefore, knowledge is a need.
To help you in choosing the right type of showerhead, here is a guide for you.
In this guide, you will go through the types of showerheads, a smart buying guide, frequently asked questions, and the six best high-quality showerheads available in the market.
6 Best Showerheads for 2020
Mist & Rain Spray
Ultimate Modern Experience
Immerse Into A Good Feeling
Multiple Showering Experience
Types of Showerheads
The best combination of head and valve will give a high-quality showerhead.
There are showerheads with one kind of stream of water while others can manually be adjusted by the bather to suit their showering needs.
The fixed showerhead is the most common type of showerhead and can only change its angle of water by adjustment of the angle of the showerhead rather than moving the showerhead itself.
There are many different types of showerheads available in the market.
You need to choose between a showerhead whose diffusing formula produces water droplets similar to that of the rain or you want a hand-controlled watering outlet that will reach and sufficiently clean the hard to reach areas of your body.
Here are a few examples of the general types of showerheads in the plumbing industry as at now:
These are showerheads that are permanently mounted on the walls of a bathroom.
They are mainly suitable for families that live in large numbers because they have a wide range of spray options freely available for bathers to choose from.
Wall-mounted showerheads are widely accepted because they are easy to use and require less maintenance, thus being the most economical type of showerhead.
These are handheld showerheads that are directly attached to the hose and held by hand while cleaning your body.
You only need to swing it around to let the water reach the hidden areas of your body.
The handheld showerheads serve both tall and short members of the family alike and can be used to clean your pet with ease effectively.
They are convenient to use.
When it comes to cleaning the bathroom itself a handheld showerhead is appropriate because water will adequately reach all the inaccessible corners of the bathroom.
Whole Body Spray
This type of showerhead diffuses water in different directions to clean the different parts of your body at the same time.
This applies to those who don’t have the time or just hate spraying their bodies with a handheld showerhead.
The whole body spray showerheads come in different sizes and formats of their heads.
The choice to choose your body spray head and swap them at any moment of your shower session entirely relies on you.
They are usually mounted on the walls at different body levels.
This is more like the body spray showerhead but different in the position to which it gets mounted onto the bathroom.
The rain showerhead is mounted right above your head on the ceiling to allow for a soft downward pour of water at a high pressure similar to that of rainfall.
This provides a calming effect desired for relaxation after a rough day at work or school.
Plumbing is an art of science, and any adjustment can be made to your experience in the shower depending on how you want it.
Just be sure to tell the different types of showerheads and their advantages and disadvantages.
Given the hundreds and thousands of the various sizes and funny-looking showerheads, it is essential to be informed of the different factors to consider when buying a showerhead.
Like all the other household stuff, different types of showerheads have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Their choice solely depends on the experience you want for yourself in the bathroom.
However, there are some essential factors discussed in the subheadings that should be considered before deciding to make a new showerhead purchase:
Cost is the one main factor that governs the law of demand and supply of every product around the world.
Different showerheads come at different prices depending on the quality of the experiences they give in the bathroom.
Look at the result you want to achieve, and if the type of showerhead in your wish-list agrees with your budget, then that is the best option for you.
It is also essential to consider the maintenance costs of the showerhead in the long run.
Water Conservation Feature
Showerheads release water differently in the nozzle. The intake system varies too.
In other words, the water conservation feature is different for every showerhead.
There are some precautions that you can to save the amount of water you use in the shower.
For instance, purchasing an attachment that fits behind the showerhead to enable you to prevent water flow to allow you to lather up with experiencing a drop in temperatures.
You can reduce your monthly water bills by buying a showerhead that has an attachment feature inbuilt.
The most universally accepted type of spray head is one that has many nozzles to spread water over your face and body evenly.
The nozzles determine the pattern and intensity of the shower.
It feels good to have uniform water droplets hit your skin rather than a scattered arrangement that might leave some parts of your body unclean.
A shower rain must conveniently cover an adequate surface area to give the bather an easy time in the bathroom.
The amount of energy consumed by a shower is dependent on the amount of water pressure showerhead needs.
Research shows that a showerhead is one of the appliances with the highest rate of energy consumption among those that use water.
To save on water usage and electricity bills find a showerhead with the WaterSense label.
The label is a certification from EPA, a world-renowned program that educates consumers in finding products that help in conserving water.
Your bathroom décor has to find a perfectly matching showerhead that completes a sophisticated, desirable look.
Don’t let the high-end fittings and fixtures like brass go to waste because of a simple showerhead.
And another factor is that showerheads relatively last for long so you might as well find the one you love and stick to it for a while.
As mentioned earlier, the water pressure translates to a percentage you pay for water in your monthly bills.
The flow heads’ current standard is 2.5 gallons per minute (GPM) at a rate of 80 pounds per square inch (psi).
But under either low or high-pressure low flow showerhead should feel useful in your desired level of intensity.
The ultimate goal here is to have a showerhead that lets off the water flow in a slow manner to provide a comfortable bath while using the least amount of water.
It is the water pressure that determines flow, and their relationship is measured per square inch (psi).
Ease of Installation
Hiring a plumber can be so expensive, especially in the current world where human services cost continues to rise.
If you lack a background of plumbing and do not want to go through a complicated installation exercise, it is essential to look for a showerhead that’s easy to install.
One that a few screws can get the job done becomes excellent.
It is essential to have a tight well-fitting showerhead to avoid annoying leaks, which are usually another problem affecting water conservation in the showers.
Head Thread Size
In the US, the standard size for stainless steel and brass fitting is prescribed by the National Pipe Thread (NPT).
This is the fitting that forms a connection with fixed pipes like shower arms and showerheads which project from the wall.
If you find out the showerhead thread sizes are standardized, then you can go deeper into options other than fitting with the pipes.
Before we move on to our list of cool showerheads, let’s first be clear about cleanliness and maintenance.
No matter how exotic and appealing a showerhead looks like it has to be cleaned and maintained in good condition like any other plumbing tool.
Ensure to thoroughly clean your showerhead with the right cleaning tools and agents.
Limescale is the number one enemy that damages the showerhead, and a mixture that contains an acidic component that can be used to help descale it.
Top 6 Showerheads for 2020
1. Alton Rainluxe Showerhead – Our Pick
This type of showerhead is permanently placed at the top of the ceiling directly over your head.
It is one of the durable rain showerheads, finished with chrome material that neither corrode nor tarnish and is famous for the many adjustments it offers.
Alton Rainluxe has adequate performance under both high and low water pressure.
You can further switch in between the spray patterns to find out what works for you during each season.
- Installing the Alton Rainluxe showerhead is a simple DIY task. All you need to do is a screw in your head in the faucet, and you are good to go.
- The showerhead nozzles spray water in smooth flow to offer a fantastic experience in the bathroom.
- The nozzles are made of heat-resistant silicone material that does not age quickly and does not breed scales on its surface. You are guaranteed clean bathing water all through the life of your showerhead. Regular cleaning of the nozzles has to be done as a maintenance action.
- This type of showerhead adequately serves the purpose if you were taking a quick shower because its flow of spray pattern is like that of rain, and you can adjust the pressure anytime.
- There is an aeration technology that gets injected into the shower system to give more pressure while saving on more water. This type of technology is what drives for determined rain showers even under low water pressure.
- It is essential to take out the washer in the box to help prevent the showerhead from leaking. Some people might complain about shower leaks when they are the ones who skipped a stage in their installations.
- It comes with a one year warranty that will take care of the manufacturing defects which might happen during this course of time.
- It is a lightweight showerhead.
- Easily fits in the faucet and installation takes less than 2 minutes.
- The quality is very extremely sturdy and hence is a durable choice.
- The outlook is aesthetically beautiful and lasts for long
- No negative points observed so far.
2. Alton Abs 5 Setting Overhead Shower – Mist & Rain Spray
Alton 5 is a sophisticated overhead shower whose architecture features a robust thick
ABS plastic material makes it durable.
It is equipped with a solidly built swivel joint that will withstand all the bad days.
This overhead shower has an option for angle adjustment that twists the spray pattern as needed by the bather.
Alton 5 maintains the shiny look because of its rust-free ABS plastic coating on its surface.
It can be used both indoors and outdoors without having to worry about rust.
You can use it on the beach, swimming pool or any other water adventures outside.
- Alton 5 provides the mist spray experience by technically mixing the water that passes through the jets with air to create a cooling and relaxing effect on the skin. Mist spray gives the ultimate shower experience because the droplets are gentle and feel pleasurable to the skin.
- With the rain spray mode, you get to enjoy the relaxing feeling of natural rainfall on your skin. The spray pattern is gentle and resembles that of warm summer rain that will tenderly hit your skin and take the stress away.
- The powerful spray engine of the showerhead may be adjusted to produce massage spray that gives you renewed energy for work and other day’s activities.
- It has an upgraded Turbo Charging technology which works by a formula that conserves water.
- The silicone nozzle ensures anti-clogging and prevents aging. It also facilitates easy cleaning of the nozzles.
- With air injection technology, you can save water while acquiring more water pressure.
- It offers five functions at the same time, which comprises of rain, mist, mist+massage, mist+rain, and massage.
- There is a massive jet spray mode that you can adopt whenever you feel like taking a heavy shower and cleaning the bathroom by taking advantage of the heavy flow. The jet spray leaves your skin with a pleasant sensation.
- Alton 5 has five different functional sprays that can be adjusted according to the bather’s needs at any moment in time.
- The many settings help to acquire the best shower experience.
- The plastic seems robust and durable.
- Commendable quality of the product
- Requires water sources with high pressure.
- Flow area is a little less.
3. Gesto Ultra Slim Stainless Steel Showerhead – Ultimate Modern Experience
As the name suggests, the Gesto Ultra Slim Stainless Steel showerhead is a sleek component supported by an 18-inch arm.
It has a broad surface full of nozzles that disperse water to create a steady rain-like effect.
The square outlook of Gesto showerhead seems all modern and the chrome finish gives it an attractive gleaming mirror-like effect, which matches appropriately with any modern bathroom décor.
It is the best luxury shower head that suits some of the modern designed bathrooms.
It has a swivel function that you use in directing the water flow in a particular direction.
The atmosphere of a fully furnished bathroom with this kind of a showerhead provides an effect that simulates that of natural rainfall.
- It has a combination of copper and nickel materials which are durable and scratch-proof. The outlook portrays a mirror-like surface that appeals to the eye.
- The Gesto Ultra slim stainless steel shower head is fixed on the ceiling to adequately provide water to the bather in a formula similar to that of rainfall. The stainless steel used is a sturdy material offer shiny looks that last for long.
- The showerhead has adequately spread silicone nozzles all over its large square surface. Another advantage of the nozzles arrangement is that it allows for easy descaling and removal of blocking impurities.
- The showerhead, together with the arm, is designed to be leakproof to discourage indiscipline drops of water that can be so annoying to the bather. From the outlook, it seems beautiful with a mirror-like chrome finish that gives it an exotic look.
- Easy installation. You simply need to attach it to either a wall-mounted or ceiling-mounted arm. Common because of its attractive shower experience and the simple, stylish look that’s economical.
- Proper maintenance enables its functionality and durability over the long term. A mild soap solution helps clean it and keep it rust-free.
- Great design and slim features make the showerhead look great. It tends to complement the bathroom interior.
- Its installation is very easy.
- The water-flow feels amazing like rainfall in the correct temperatures.
- Poor maintenance may lead to costly losses through repair
4. Kitsch Abs Plastic Hand-shower – Immerse Into A Good Feeling
This is the best handheld shower head chrome plated brass tube that spreads water on your body under high pressure that hits with intensity on your skin.
The fact that Kitsch hand-shower is personal and customized to serve individual needs may tempt many to overlook its maintenance needs.
But that’s how corrosion, leakages and rusting starts to occur on such a wonderful bathroom accessory.
Ensure to apply mild soap solutions or edible vinegar when regularly cleaning your hand shower.
Poor handling shortens the lifespan of a utility product.
- The hand shower features a leak-proof material and requires minimal pressure to produce a powerful consistent spray pattern. This provides an enjoyable experience while bathing in the showers.
- Kitsch is a lightweight product with a thickness of only 10 mm on its edges. This makes it easy to move the hand shower around to the hardly inaccessible areas of your body.
- It not only acts as a shower but also forms a mist on hitting your skin. This creates a relaxing effect recommendable after a long tiresome day.
- The shower tube is 150cm long and is made of brass material which has been fully chrome plated. This has appealing aesthetics and the fact that the hand shower can seamlessly fit in a bathtub wall mixer faucet or just any existing shower mixer.
- It comes with 4 months of warranty against manufacturing issues but does not cover any type of leakage.
- It serves right both short and tall people since the height can be adjusted.
- Water flow can be easily adjusted as per your requirements.
- Cleaning is simply by hand even if clogged by prolonged use of hard water. You only have to hard-press your thumb containing soap solution against the clogged spaces.
- The micro nozzle clogs with salt deposits by water over time.
- The 300 jets of water hitting the skin is extremely thin and might leave you with a feeling of taking a light shower.
5. Oleanna Overhead Shower – Executive Finish
Oleanna OHS-17 is a permanently fixed overhead shower with a relatively long shower arm and a wall flange.
It is an Indian made product with a sturdy look that is durable and has presentable aesthetics that match any modern bathroom décor.
This overhead shower is designed to discharge water in a round shape single flow system which has a rub-it cleaning mechanism that assists it in self-cleaning to avoid accumulating scales or any other blockages in the waterways.
Installing it is a simple task while for maintenance it requires hand cleaning.
- The materials used to make Oleanna OHS-17 overhead shower includes a plated ABS head and a brass arm. This combination of durable materials lasts for a very long time.
- To ensure a powerful and consistent flow of water, the showerhead has numerous perfectly punctuated perforations. The spray pattern can be manually adjusted to suit the desires of the bather too.
- It has a 0.5-micron chromium plating on its Brass head. This provides a gleaning look that will make your bathroom ten times more attractive.
- The rub-it cleaning mechanism of this showerhead ensures self-cleaning without the need for any plumbers.
- The Copper percentage in the Brass material adopted is certified to be 63% to make sure that casting takes place flawlessly.
- Affordable value for money bathroom fitting.
- The shower angle is freely adjustable by the use of a swivel head.
- Looks highly attractive and suits perfectly in your bathroom.
- Comes with a functional design
- It lacks stainless steel material in its composition.
- May not cover a large area as a square rain showerhead.
6. Kohler Enlighten Showerhead – Multiple Showering Experience
The Kohler Enlighten showerhead has five distinct shower experiences that you can choose right from your fingertips.
These include powerful massage, intense rinse, full coverage, or two other combination sprays that are achieved by merely twisting the thumb tab.
It has an innovative spray engine that can be adjusted to suit achy muscles while the full coverage mode gets to the whole body with high intensity.
- It requires a simple installation that does not need any special tools. You only need to tighten it with your hand, unlike other models that may require the experience of a plumber.
- The Kohler finishes used in the making of the showerhead are anti-corroding and are not susceptible to tarnishing.
- The showerhead flow rate ranges at 2.0 GPM (gallons per minute). This is an amount of water that you can comfortably take a shower with the satisfaction of the adequacy of water.
- The ABS chrome plating finish on the showerhead gives it an exotic look.
- Kohler Enlighten showerhead has an intense rinse spray that provides a smooth but thorough cleaning and rinsing on your body.
- The total dimension of this showerhead is 168mm x 153mm x 143mm.
- It offers ten years of warranty, which simply makes it a reliable choice for the people.
- Lacks a shower arm but works efficiently.
- Quality is okay and provides value for money.
- Very easy installation procedure
- Offer users to switch easily from one mode to another due to the presence of multiple modes.
- It can be effectively used to clean pets and kids.
- The plastic materials make it less durable.
- It has a small surface area.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How big is a showerhead?
Most people feel lost on what should be the right size of a shower.
But that’s a factor that solely depends on individual preferences.
That is to say that a flow rate that works for me might work differently for another person.
The thread size that works as a standard size currently in the US measures ½ inch NPT.
So the sizes are standardized to fit in the modern faucets in our bathrooms your only concern should be the type that works for you.
2. What is the best flow rate for a showerhead?
The flow rate is also represented by the term GPM, which are the initials for Gallons per Minute.
It is simply a measure of the amount of water in gallons that pours out of the shower every minute.
The acceptable flow rate in the ’80s and ’90s was 3.5 GPM and showerheads made in between these times probably have that figure as the rate of their water flow.
The most intensive water-consuming activity at home is showering, and each family consumes at least an average of 40 gallons of water every day.
A standard rate of 1.8 GPM water rate on the showerheads is appropriate, especially when blended with the right adjustments.
3. What height should a shower head be installed?
The normal allowance of the height between the floor and the position of the showerhead as per the industry standards should be at least 80 inches.
This level of height converts to 6 feet and 8 inches, which is quite a suitable level to serve all the tall people ranging within the same limits.
4. How do you stop a leaking shower?
It is common to experience dripping showerheads and faucets in our bathrooms.
When such regretful things happen, it usually has something to do with a lack of frequent repair and maintenance.
The best way to deal with a leaking shower is by turning off the main water, removing and inspecting your showerhead.
Then clean and tape it up before reattaching it for use again.
Perform regular descaling afterward.
There are millions of showerheads in the market, and all work in different ways and cost different prices.
It is important to have a personal list of checkmarks that a model must pass when picking a new showerhead next time.
These checkmarks may include, among others aforementioned earlier.
The level of satisfaction you get from the shower experience, the water conservation ability, power consumption, level of water pressure required, and number and style of spray patterns you desire for your bathroom.