Best Laundry Sanitizers to Keep your Laundry Germ-free
In recent times everyone has started using sanitisers. We have sanitisers for practically everything – hands, vegetables, surfaces, and even laundry.
Laundry sanitisers have got to be the latest addition in the laundry industry. This has proven to be an essential part of our living, especially for those working in the healthcare sector.
Even those who frequently get in touch with people in public find it necessary to invest in a laundry sanitiser. Laundry sanitisers are formulated to kill bacteria that harbour on fabric and are not cleansed away by normal detergents.
Through this article, we intend to enlighten you about this fairly new sanitization necessity. We have covered the types and benefits of laundry sanitisers. Also included are our top recommendations for laundry sanitisers. Lastly, we have also listed a few FAQ’s to solve your queries.
Top 7 Laundry Sanitizers
Types of Laundry Sanitizers
Laundry sanitisers are pretty new in the sanitization industry, yet there are many types you will find available today. Based on the need, laundry sanitisers are classified as follows:
- Some laundry sanitisers can be used along with normal detergent in the first rinse of the clothes.
- Others have to be used after the first rinse, after washing the clothes with a normal detergent.
- Laundry sanitisers have to be used as a final rinse to remove germs that normal detergents leave behind.
- Some laundry sanitisers must be used as a pre-soaking cycle before rinsing the clothes with a normal detergent.
Based on their composition, laundry sanitisers can be classified as:
- Bleach-based – These are more effective in white clothes. Along with sanitization, they also remove stains
- Non-bleach – These laundry sanitisers are meant only for sanitization purposes and not for stain removal
- Fragranced – Most laundry sanitisers come with an added fragrance that imparts freshness to cleaned clothes.
- Skin-friendly – There are laundry sanitisers that are composed of natural ingredients along with sanitizing chemicals. They are recommended for those who have sensitive skin.
Here are some key factors you may want to consider before investing in the right laundry sanitisers:
Ensure that the laundry sanitiser has effective disinfectants that are proven to work against germs. As stated above, some laundry sanitisers are specially formulated for sensitive skin. So make sure to read the ingredients list before choosing the right one.
If you want sanitization and cleansing, choose a laundry sanitiser that does both. Some laundry sanitisers can also work as fabric conditioner, while others help in stain removal.
Look for a laundry sanitiser that is easy to pour and use. It is preferable to select one whose cap can be used to measure and pour the sanitiser.
Type of Clothes
If you want a laundry sanitiser that works will all kinds of clothes, invest in one formulated for that. Today, all brands mention this on the packaging itself.
If you specifically want a laundry sanitiser for an infant’s or child’s clothes, make sure that this is mentioned on the bottle. Most laundry sanitisers are versatile; that is, they can be used for all types of clothes.
Best Laundry Sanitizers
1. Dettol After Detergent Wash Liquid Laundry Sanitizer
Dettol has been at the forefront of germ-protection for decades. They are experts at numerous household products for sanitization like soaps, antiseptic liquid, handwashes, and liquid sanitisers.
Dettol liquid laundry sanitiser is a unique product that aims at keeping your laundry germ-free. It simplifies the process of sanitizing your clothes by just adding the liquid along with your normal detergent.
It targets harmful bacteria that grow on synthetic clothes and cause illnesses. The Spring Blossom fragrance adds a touch of freshness to your sanitized clothes.
Give your loved ones the protection of Dettol, trusted by millions around the globe. This laundry liquid sanitiser is recommended by the IMA – Indian Medical Association.
- This laundry sanitiser kills 99.99% of germs from soiled clothes
- This is a 960ml bottle that will last a long time
- You can use the cap for measurement
- It targets germs that ordinary detergents may not be able to kill
- It removes odour-causing germs
- It is available in two fragrances – fresh linen and spring blossom
- Dettol laundry sanitiser liquid is gentle on the fabric
- It contains 0% bleach
- It is suitable for bucket wash and machine wash
- It works effectively just by soaking the clothes in it for 10 minutes
- It is ideal for towels, children’s clothes, underwear, socks, and bedding
- It is not environment-friendly
2. Godrej Ezee 2-in-1 Liquid Detergent + Fabric Sanitizer
Founded in 1897, Godrej is one of India’s leading FMCG companies specialising in a variety of household products. Their expertise extends to real estate, financial services, and agriculture as well.
Godrej Ezee was initially launched as a liquid fabric cleaner, especially for woollen clothes. Today, Ezee is also available as a laundry detergent-cum-sanitizer.
Godrej Ezee 2-in-1 Liquid Detergent + Fabric Sanitizer has an advanced cleaning detergent formula. It thoroughly cleanses clothes of different fabrics.
It is tough on stains but mild on clothes. It is suitable for both bucket and machine wash.
- Godrej Ezee 2-in-1 liquid detergent is suitable for regular clothes of all fabrics.
- It provides 99% germ protection
- It targets disease-causing bacterial and viruses
- You can use the cap to measure and pour this liquid detergent
- 1 cap is sufficient for a medium load in a machine or half a bucket of soiled clothes
- It does not leave any residue on the clothes
- It deep conditions the clothes, making them soft and smooth
- The encapsulated molecules in this liquid detergent leave a long-lasting fragrance on the clothes
- It maintains the colour and strength of the fabric
- This liquid detergent is available in different sizes
- No negative points were observed so far
3. Amazon Brand – Presto! Laundry Sanitizer
Presto! is an Amazon brand that specializes in cleaning essentials for the household. Their range of products includes detergents, bathroom cleaners, mops, and soaps.
Presto! Believes your clothes need more than just cleaning. Presto! Laundry sanitiser aims at making your clothes free of stains, dirt, odour, and harmful germs.
It offers maximum care and protection to the clothes. It contains effective active ingredients like Alkyldimethylbenzylammonium Chloride and Didecyldimethylammonium Chloride.
It fights against 99.9% of germs and bacteria that breed on clothes. This laundry sanitiser by Presto! It helps in maintaining the hygiene of your laundry.
- It maintains laundry hygiene by getting rid of harmful germs
- It protects the clothes from odour-causing bacteria
- The pleasant fragrance keeps the clothes smelling fresh for a longer time
- It is suitable for all clothes, including innerwear, towels, bedsheets, and pillow covers
- One bottle contains 1 litre of liquid detergent
- For bucket wash, use half a cup of liquid detergent in 4 litres of water.
- For machine wash, add a cap for a normal load of clothes.
- It does not contain bleach and hence does not diminish the fabrics’ colour
- This liquid detergent works against 99.9% of germs
- It is suitable for all types of fabrics
- It is free from harmful chemicals likes parabens, sulfates, and triclosan
- It is suitable for bucket wash and machine wash
- The bottle is not sturdy enough and tends to leak
4. SAN’TIZE clothes washing sanitiser
Sanitize is a powerful cleanser that keeps your clothes protected from 99% disease-causing germs and viruses. It has a unique formula that is 2 times more powerful than normal laundry sanitisers.
It is gentle on your clothes and skin. It is suitable for machine and bucket wash. This laundry sanitiser can be used in top load and front load machines.
San’tize works gently and sanitizes each fabric of your clothes. It washes away bacteria and viruses from soiled clothes.
Made with natural ingredients, it does not affect the fibres of the cloth. The 2X power of this laundry sanitiser ensures you need half as much as normal laundry sanitisers.
- You only need half a cup to sanitize a normal load of clothes
- It has a pleasant fragrance of fresh oranges
- It contains powerful sanitizing agents that are gentle on the skin
- The natural ingredients include neem, rosemary, orange peel, and tulsi extract
- It is a pH-balanced sanitiser that works with any liquid detergent
- It can sanitize all types of clothes like bedding, socks, innerwear, etc.
- This laundry sanitiser can be added along with normal detergent
- It is expensive compared to the other options
- You would require a separate cup to measure this laundry sanitiser
5. Dabur Sanitize Laundry Sanitizer
Dabur is India’s leader in Ayurvedic products since its inception in 1884. It has paved the way for Make in India in consumer goods.
Dabur extended its branding to sanitization and has made Dabur Sanitize – a laundry sanitiser. This is an easy-to-use product that is suitable for bucket and machine wash.
Dabur Sanitize works against 99% of germs on fabrics, including disease and odour-causing germs. It cleans as well as sanitizes your clothes thoroughly.
The formula of this laundry sanitiser is gentle on clothes. It can be used on all types of clothes and fabrics.
- It targets the germs left behind by laundry detergents
- It should be used as the last rinse and not along with the laundry detergent
- It can be used for children’s clothing, men’s wear, women’s wear, innerwear, towels, and bedding
- It hygienically cleans and provides complete protection to the clothes
- It removes 99% of germs from clothes in one rinse
- It is suitable for all kinds of fabrics
- It is gentle on the clothes as it does not contain bleach
- This laundry sanitiser imparts a long-lasting fragrance to the clothes
- It can’t be used along with detergent and requires a separate rinse
6. Grylls Laundry Sanitizer
Grylls Laundry Sanitizer is a unique formula that targets 99% germs and is bleach-free. It can be used to sanitize white and coloured clothes. It cleanses babies’ clothes, gym clothes, undergarments, towels, bedding, and delicate clothes.
After rinsing the clothes with a normal detergent, this laundry sanitiser should be added to the load and soaked for 16 minutes. One bottle contains 1.02 litres of laundry sanitiser.
It washes away all the bacteria that are left behind by normal detergents. The bottle is designed with a convenient handle that makes it easy to hold.
- This laundry sanitiser works on all kinds of fabric and clothes
- The bottle has a cap that is marked with indicators to measure the exact quantity
- It is suitable for front load and top load washing machines
- The bottle has clear instructions of how much liquid should be used for soaking, handwash, and machine wash
- It is formulated without bleach
- It can be used in high-efficiency washing machines
- It requires only 16 minutes to sanitize a normal load of rinsed clothes
- It is quite inexpensive compared to other laundry sanitisers
- The ingredients are not mentioned on the bottle
7. Shatras Liquid Detergent
Shatras Liquid Detergent fights stains and dirt on soiled clothes. It has a low alkaline level and thus does not cause any damage to your clothes.
It is designed especially for machine washing. You can use 8ml for a normal load of soiled clothes. It is suitable for all kinds of clothes, including towels, adult clothes, and children’s clothes.
This liquid detergent can be used on delicate fabrics like silk, wool, and lace. It complies with front load and top load machines. It makes the clothes softer and 100% stain-free.
- It dissolves quickly in water
- This liquid detergent reaches stains effortlessly
- Its pH neutral formula preserves the colour of the clothes and causes no fading
- It is suitable for bucket wash and machine wash
- It is available in different sizes like 500ml, 1 litre, and 5 litres
- It does not leave a residue on the clothes
- This liquid detergent dissolves stains easily
- It takes only half an hour to clean all kinds of clothes
- It provides a fresh fragrance to the clothes
- It does not have any fragrance
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the difference between laundry detergents and sanitisers?
The main difference between the two is the ability to kill germs. Laundry sanitisers are meant to kill germs, while detergents are meant for stain and dirt removal.
Not all laundry sanitisers have the ability to clean. Their targeted function is killing germs that get left behind even after rinsing the clothes with a normal detergent.
2. How should laundry sanitisers be used?
This varies amongst different brands. The usual way of using a laundry sanitiser is to add a capful or two of it to the washing machine’s fabric softener compartment during the rinse cycle.
For bucket wash, it is recommended to soak the rinse clothes in water with a capful or two of laundry sanitiser for at least 10 minutes before performing a final rinse.
3. Do I need to rinse the clothes after rinsing them in a laundry sanitiser?
This depends on the type of laundry sanitiser you are using. Generally, brands advise rinsing the clothes after soaking them in a laundry sanitiser.
Others recommend using them as a final rinse, so you have to dry the clothes later. Please read the label of the laundry sanitiser before using it.
While it is important to use only clean clothes, it is also important to ensure that they are properly sterilized. And the best way to do this is to use laundry sanitiser on your clothes.
Laundry sanitisers have proven to be a household essential, just like hand and surface sanitisers to keep germs at bay. With the use of a laundry sanitiser, you can rest assured that your clothes are free of 99% of disease-causing germs.
We recommend using laundry sanitisers to sterilize your washing machine because there are chances of bacteria getting built up in the outlets and inlets.
To make it a bit easier, here are our top picks Dettol Liquid Laundry Sanitizer, Godrej Ezee 2-in-1 Liquid Detergent + Fabric Sanitizer and Presto! Laundry Sanitizer.
With our recommendation, we assure you that you are bound to choose the right laundry sanitiser. After all, your health and the health of your loved ones should always be your top priority.