Best Inkjet Printers in India
Similar to all other tech products on the market, there are lots of printers available today. This can make it very difficult to make a choice when you intend to purchase one.
There are lots of reasons why it is important to have a printer nowadays. The uses include printing essays, assignments, term papers, office documents, work files, and many more. As a result, it is important you choose a printer that will meet your requirements.
This article will point out the details of printers. You will get to know what is a printer, how it works, what are the different types of printers, some key features you should look out for when searching for a printer, benefits of having a printer, frequently asked questions and the top 10 best all in one printers available in the market.
List of Top 10 Printers
Best Editing tools and features at a low price
High quality Prints at Low Budget
Convenient and sharp print quality
Multifunctional Inkjet Printer
Wireless Color Printers
Best Single function printer
Best for AirPrint
Easy and Compatible
Portable and lightweight
What is a printer?
A printer is an output device which creates a hard copy of electronic data which is stored on a computer or any other device. It is common to use this device in printing texts and photos.
How does a printer work?
In simple terms, a printer functions through the conversion of texts and digital images into a physical copy or form. To achieve this result, it needs a specific software or driver. This driver or software assists in converting the input file into a language which is understandable by the printer. The printer then reproduces the text or image through the use of a number of tiny dots on the paper.
There are different types of printers available and the significant difference between each printer is the method through which the printer reproduces these dots on a paper.
Benefits of a printer
This is observable in the case of an all-in-one printer. These printers which offer a scan, print, and copy function to eliminate the need for a separate device for each function. As a result, you only need to power a single device to offer these functions.
It is convenient
Having access to a printer offers a lot of conveniences. It makes it easy to print homework, office documents, photos, PDFs, and more without stress.
Printers which have the print, copy and scan features offer the best convenience since users can perform all their tasks without moving away from the device.
Wireless and mobile connectivity
A major advantage of newer printer models is the inclusion of wireless connectivity to print documents. Users can simply print documents over a network without having to go to where the printer is set-up. Most printers on the market now offer support for Google Cloud Print, AirPrint, and other apps to support mobile printing.
Access to cloud storage also enables users to connect to the printer from different locations around the world. Remote access enables printing of photos from vacation spots.
All-in-one printers help to reduce costs of operation
When you have three separate devices for printing, copy, and scanning it becomes necessary to get supplies which are compatible with each device. Ink, cartridges, toners, papers, and more need to be bought.
Since an all-in-one printers offer these features in a single, compact, design, it helps in reducing the cost of operating the printer.
Types of printers
Inkjet printers are frequently purchased for home use. These printers are suitable for both black-and-white, as well as color printing of photos and documents. They offer high-quality printing at an economical price.
The common features of these printers include a print head with nozzles which are connected to the ink cartridges. These nozzles spray the ink onto a paper.
On most inkjet printers, there is a minimum of two ink cartridges – a tri-color and a black cartridge. The tri-color cartridge will consist of a cyan, magenta, and yellow ink. On other printers, each color has a separate cartridge.
Inkjet printers can print photos and documents ranging from 300 to 600 dots per inch. The high-quality printing also comes at a very low price.
Some of the benefits of an inkjet printer include a low cost of purchase as well as fast speed printing of black-and-white documents. Common drawbacks include high cost per page and slow speed for color printing. To prevent the ink from smearing after printing, it is also vital that print-outs are left to dry.
Laser printers feature a cartridge with a powder known as a toner in place of the liquid ink cartridges. The print system consists of a print drum, fusing rollers, laser, charged wires, and a mirror. By generating heat and creating electrical charges, it is possible to melt the toner powder. As the toner melts, it is possible to print images and texts on a paper.
Laser printers are common in both color and monochrome options. For people who print large quantities use laser printers. This can be thousands of prints each month.
With laser printers, users can print color pages at the rate of 25 pages per minute and 40 pages per minute for monochrome prints. The high-speed printing is one of the main benefits of laser printers. Nonetheless, running a color laser printer in the home can be quite expensive.
Printers that fall within this category include 3D printers, thermal printers, and Dot-matrix printers. 3D printers offer users the option of creating physical objects through the use of a special plastic filament and a computer modeling software.
Dot-matrix printers have pins on the print head which produce characters by pressing down on an ink ribbon. It is also popularly known as an impact printer.
Thermal printers, on the other hand, require a special type of ink or paper and use heat to print on the paper. Most of these printers are suitable for home use while others are for commercial purposes.
Features to consider when buying a printer
Depending on where you intend to use the printer, color may not be necessary. When purchasing a printer for office purposes, monochrome printers are usually a better option in most cases. This is because they eliminate the high cost of maintaining color toner cartridges. In other situations, having a color printer makes it possible to print brochures and handouts for advert purposes.
If you are purchasing for home use, color printing is a feature which you may need from time to time.
When shopping for inkjet printers, it is easier to find those with color printing features.
The size of a printer matters a lot. The space available determines the size of the printer you will select. To completely assess the size of a speaker, it is important you consider the fully extended position of the trays.
There are a lot of compact printers available on the market which is excellent for home use. There are others which may have a small base while having a height which may be inconvenient.
There are a lot of options available when you consider the connectivity of a printer. It is common for most printers to have a USB port for easy connectivity. To allow users to connect to a network, Ethernet ports are also available on most of these printers.
In addition to wired connectivity, most printers on the market now have wireless connectivity options. These include Wi-Fi connectivity or Wi-Fi direct. The Wi-Fi direct feature allows the connection of Wi-Fi enabled devices to the printer.
Other connectivity features include the Near-Field Communication (NFC) which enables the connection of printers to a mobile device. This usually involves tapping the phone on a specific area on the printer.
The quality of the output which a printer produces is very important. This includes quality when printing graphics, photos, and texts individually.
You need to consider each type of print individually because a high-quality output for photos doesn’t imply that the graphics output will be of high quality.
Depending on the number of pages you print each time you use the printer, the speed is another important factor. For users which limit their printing to a page or two, the speed of the printer may not be a crucial factor. In a case where the documents are longer, the speed of the printer is very vital.
Laser printers are usually a better option for users who require speed. These printers offer speeds close to their specification when printing simple documents. Since these documents do not require excess processing time, the speed can be much faster.
In addition to a paper support, some printers also print on CDs and DVDs. The specifications from the manufacturer will provide enough information on the media support of a printer.
The type of paper formats which the printer supports has a significant importance on its use.
Paper formats such as standard envelopes, letter, and legal sizes are usually supported by inkjet printers. Most of these additional functionalities come at a higher cost as well as a larger size.
To minimize paper consumption, duplexing is an important feature. Printers which offer this feature are capable of automatically printing on both the front and back side of a paper. This feature is not available on all printers.
The resolution of a print is different for each printer. This measurement is usually in dots per inch (dpi). Some printers produce high-quality photo prints while others provide a higher print quality on text documents.
Identifying if you can load a printer from the top or from the bottom is another feature that needs careful consideration. This feature depends on the space where you intend to set up the printer. A top loading printer is a common choice when there is a limitation in space.
There are certain printers which offer a quiet operation while others may produce a loud rustling sound. If you do not like the sound a printer makes during operation, it is important you find a model which offers quiet operation.
This is a feature which determines how frequently you will need to change the printer ink. There are a few printers which can work for years before they will require a refill and replacement of parts. Others may require a refill and replacement of parts in a few months. It is important you consider the durability of a printer before making a choice.
It is crucial that you consider the cost of owning a particular printer before making a purchase. It is common to find manufacturers rating of cost per photo or cost per page.
If you know how much pages you will be printing each year, it is easy to calculate the cost of ownership. Simply multiply the cost per page of output (say monochrome) by the number of monochrome pages you will print in a year. This gives you the cost per year. Do this for each output and add the results. Multiply the total figure by the number of years you intend to use the printer. Add this to the cost of buying the printer to get the cost of ownership.
You can perform this calculation on each model to determine the most economical.
1. HP DeskJet 2131 All-in-One Inkjet Colour Printer – Our Pick
This printer offers all the various features which make it a great choice for tight office spaces. These include the all-in-one printer functions and the top loading input tray.
- It has a front panel scan with a Contact Image Sensor (CIS) for scanning and has an optical scanning resolution of 1200 dpi
- The printer has a top loading input tray with a capacity of 60-sheets which can last up to a week for moderate users
- It supports various media types including cards, papers, brochure paper, and envelopes
- Users can connect to the printer using a USB cable connection
- There is an HP Auto-Off technology for an energy saving feature
- This is a multi-function printer offering scan, copy, and print functions
- Users can enjoy a color output printing function
- It is compatible with the HP 803 Tri-Color and Black Original Ink Cartridges
- The printer comes with a 1-year warranty
- The multi-function on this printer eliminates the need for extra space when purchasing a separate copier or scanner
- The printer provides a low noise operation
- It only supports connectivity using a USB cable
- The printer is very slow when printing
- Paper has to be set manually for duplex printing
2. Canon Pixma MG2577s All-in-One Inkjet Colour Printer – Best Editing tools and features at a low price
For users who will need to be printing at awkward times, the Quiet Mode feature on this printer is a suitable companion. It ensures that the noise from the printer is at the lowest level during operation so you don’t startle anyone in the home. It also includes an auto power off feature so you don’t need to get agitated when you are already out of the home.
- The auto ON feature of this printer recognizes print commands from a USB device and switches on while powering off after a period of inactivity
- It comes with the My Image Garden software which offers auto layout suggestions, filters, facial recognition, and more
- There is a quiet mode on the printer which reduces the noise and enables printing at any time
- Create prints from your HD movie clips using the Full HD Movie Print Software
- The scan feature offers a color depth of 48-bit and 600 x 1200 dpi
- Supports printing of web pages and other documents with print speeds of up to 4 images per minute for color and 8 images per minute for black
- The Hybrid Ink system produces sharp texts and vivid colors by combining dye ink and black pigment
- The lightweight and compact design of this printer makes it possible to fit it into small spaces and move it around with ease
- It provides an excellent scanning feature
- The Full HD Movie Print Software only functions with compatible Canon devices
- It produces a very poor output when printing on glossy paper
3. HP DeskJet 1112 Single Function Inkjet Colour Printer – High quality Prints at Low Budget
This single function printer is a very affordable option for users who only require the printing functions. It still offers color printing and energy conservation functions. It has a small size making it easy to place anywhere but the availability of only a USB connectivity limits the use of the printer.
- The fast and easy setup enables printing of documents right out of the box
- Compact design allows you to fit this printer anywhere on your desk or shelf
- It has an energy star certification which provides energy conservation features
- The printer has a maximum duty cycle of up to 1000 pages in a month
- Print resolution of up to 1200 x 1200 dpi for black while it offers up to 4800 x 1200 dpi for color printing
- A 1-year warranty from the manufacturer
- It supports printing on a DL envelope, A6, A4, and B5 page sizes
- It uses a Lithium-ion battery for use without a corded connection
- The Energy star certification approves of the resource conservation quality of this printer
- It offers only a print function
- Users have only the option of a USB connectivity when printing from this unit
4. HP DeskJet 2621 All-in-One Wireless Colour Inkjet Printer – Convenient and sharp print quality
Another printer from HP, this printer offers wireless connectivity features as well as easy control features which users can utilize. It is a great option for moderate users with the 60-sheet input tray capacity and 25-sheet output tray capacity. Although it is not a suitable option for users searching for borderless printing, it still offers a lot of high-quality features.
- It is compatible with a mobile app which enables printing on the go
- The output tray can hold up to 25 sheets and closes to minimize the space the printer occupies
- The control panel is in a linear arrangement and is easy to access for fast scanning, printing, and other functions
- It offers both Wi-Fi and USB connectivity for both wireless and wired connection
- The printer has an input tray with a capacity of 60 sheets for moderate printing
- It has a print, copy, and scan function for versatility
- It offers a print speed of 7.5 pages per minute for color printing and 5.5 pages per minute for black-and-white printing
- The printer comes with a set of ink cartridges from the manufacturers
- The HP all-in-one remote app is an excellent way to control and manage your scanning and printing tasks using this printer
- Users can choose from various options to connect to the printer include a USB port and wireless connectivity
- It doesn’t support borderless printing
- There is no support for connecting devices via Bluetooth
5. Canon MG2570S Multi-Function Inkjet Colour Printer – Multifunctional Inkjet Printer
The compact size of this printer and its lightweight make it possible to easily move it to where it is most needed regardless of the space constraints. The Auto Power On feature is another reason why this printer is a must-have for anyone. It also comes with the Image Garden Software which offers high-quality editing tools.
- This is a multifunction printer with a scan, copy, and print functionality
- It is compatible with Windows operating system and Mac OS for versatility and ease of use
- The printer is lightweight for easy portability and its compact design makes it possible to place in tight spaces
- There is an Image Garden Software which enables the creation of collages and calendars on a PC
- It automatically detects command and turns on due to the Auto Power On function
- The print speed of this device is of ISO standard at 7.7ipm for black and 4.0ipm for color printing
- It supports printing on different paper sizes including legal, letter, and sizes from 4.0” x 6.0” – A4
- There is a 1-year warranty on this printer which is from the date of purchase
- This printer has dimensions of 47.8 x 37 x 19 cm and weighs 3.5Kg
- The printer has a lightweight design for great portability and a compact size suitable for any reasonable space available
- It is easy to send a document for printing using a USB device which automatically switches the printer on
- It doesn’t work with refilled ink cartridges
6. HP DeskJet 5085 All-in-One Ink Advantage Wireless Colour Printer – Wireless Color Printers
In the computer world today, HP has become a household name. Their products range consists of laptops, webcams, projectors, desktops, mouse, keyboards, printers, and more. The company is arguably the best when it comes to computers. The HP DeskJet 5085 is one of the best all in one printers which the company offers. It is an all-in-one printer which offers an automatic duplexing feature.
- This is an all-in-one printer with a fast scan, copy, and print features for versatility
- There is an auto-duplex feature for printing on both sides of a paper
- It offers various connectivity options including the HP smart app, USB, and Wi-Fi direct
- There is a mono touchscreen which measures 5.58cm for easy selection of functions and settings
- It provides a print resolution of 4800 x 1200 dpi for color while black and white prints have a resolution of up to 1200 x 1200
- It has a duty cycle of 1250 pages per month at maximum use while regular usage ranges from 100-300 pages per month
- The printer operates at a high speed producing 10 black and white pages per minute and 7 color pages per minute
- It is easy to carry out multipage printing using the automatic duplex printing feature
- The printer has a high page yield for each ink cartridge
- It has a large input tray capacity of 100-sheets
- The ink runs out very quickly
- It is a bit heavier than a few other printers
7. Canon Pixma TS207 Single Function Inkjet Printer – Best Single function printer
As a single function printer, there are other features which this printer offers. The borderless photo printing option is another great feature it offers. The body of this printer is resistant to both scratches and fingerprints due to the grid-textured design.
- This printer supports borderless photo printing
- It has a grid-textured surface which offers a scratch and fingerprint resistant quality
- The printer provides a high-quality printing with low-cost inks offering 180-page yield
- It offers a USB connectivity for printing from compatible devices
- The printer is compatible with the CL-746 S/XL color ink cartridge and PG-745 S/XL Black ink cartridge
- It takes 65 seconds to print a borderless 4” x 6” photo
- It has a durable exterior which is resistant to both fingerprints and scratches due to the grid-texture
- It only supports a print functionality
- There is no automatic duplex printing function
- The ink doesn’t last very long
8. HP DeskJet 5275 All-in-One Ink Advantage WiFi Printer – Best for AirPrint
This printer is a complete all-in-one option with functions like copy, scan, and faxing in addition to the print function. This is a great choice for users who intend to print on various media types including matte brochure, glossy papers, plain paper, and more. The AirPrint feature also makes it an excellent choice for users with iOS devices.
- There is a 5.5cm touch display for easy control of the printer functions
- It supports the HP All-in-one Printer Remote mobile app for on the go functionality
- The printer has a 35-page automatic document feeder for faster job operations
- There is a quiet mode for a low noise operation of the printer
- The duplex feature provides fast two-sided printing outputs
- Users can connect smartphone and tablets using the Bluetooth feature
- It provides reasonable print speeds with 20 ppm draft printing
- The printer is very easy to set up1
- It offers both Wi-Fi and USB connectivity
- It allows direct connection of tablets and smartphones without the need for a router or Wi-Fi
- The printer also includes a fax function
- It has a simple design and the touchscreen minimizes the buttons on the printer to just a power button
- It has a small output tray with a 25-sheet capacity in comparison to the 100-sheet input tray capacity
9. Canon Pixma E3177 All in One Inkjet Printer – Easy and Compatible
This color printer offers the PIXMA Cloud link for users to gain access to great photos on their storage sites, social media pages, and also on photo sharing sites. It provides a reasonably high printing speed of 8 pages per minute for black printing.
- This printer is compatible with the latest operating systems for ease of use
- It prints 8 black-and-white pages per minute while color printing is at a rate of 4 pages per minute
- The printer is compatible with the PG-47(black) and CL-57(color) ink cartridges with a page yield of 180 color pages and 400 black pages
- The printer supports Wi-Fi, USB, and the Canon Selphy App connection for document printing
- This is an All-in-one printer with scan, print, and copy functions
- It offers a print resolution of 4800 x 1200
- There is a 1-year warranty on the printer
- The PIXMA Cloud link allows users to connect social networks, storage, and photo sharing sites to easily print photos
- It has a flatbed scanner
- It helps in saving space and costs of operation since it is an All-in-one printer
- The Wi-Fi direct feature of this printer provides convenience during use
- Although it has great features, the design is not very appealing
10. Epson PictureMate PM-520 Photo Printer – Portable and lightweight
Epson is one of the big names when it comes to the production of computer peripherals. They are quite popular for their high-quality printers, projectors, and scanners. The Epson PictureMate is a true gem when it comes to photo printing. The printer is very portable and offers excellent connectivity options.
- It offers a Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi direct connectivity which allows printing over a network while the iPrint app supports printing of PDFs and web pages
- There is an adjustable 6.9cm screen which allows users to view and print images from a USB device or SD card without using a PC
- It offers rapid printing with just 36 seconds for borderless 4R photos
- Supports various formats such as borderless 4R, 5R, and A4 paper
- It offers a very high resolution of 5,760 dpi for high-quality printing
- The printer weighs 2.3Kg and is lightweight while offering a handle for easy portability
- There is a rechargeable battery pack available which makes this printer suitable for on the go use
- It has a capacity of 20 sheets of glossy paper and 50 sheets of A5 paper
- It is a very portable printer with excellent photo printing features
- Prints pictures with resolutions as high as 5,760 dpi and also offers passport-size and stamp-size photos
- It is designed for photo printing and is not great for printing texts
- Replacing the ink cartridges can be expensive
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is CMYK?
In printers, the acronym CMYK refers to the different colors that make up the ink. To break it down:
- C – Cyan
- M – Magenta
- Y – Yellow
- K – Black or Key
2. What is responsible for the difference in the printer output colors and the colors on a monitor?
It is common to notice differences in colors when you compare the output color to the color appearing on a monitor. This is due to the difference in the method of color production of a printer and that of a monitor.
The color model in use by monitors is the RGB (red, green, blue) model. This model provides support for colors over a wider spectrum. On the other hand, printers use the CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) color model. Although this model is capable of reproducing colors to a large extent, it is not able to reproduce all the colors present in the RGB model. In most cases, there is an 85–90% match between the colors of the RGB model which the CMYK model is capable of reproducing.
The application which you use in printing is responsible for selecting a suitable alternative for any color in the RGB model which is not within the range of the CMYK model. While a lot of other programs do not give users the opportunity to select the color replacements, Adobe Photoshop gives users that option.
For this reason, there is a need for test prints in order to make adjustments in situations where the color match is vital.
3. What is the best resolution for saving graphics and photos?
In general, the resolution of a picture in the final stages should be at 300dpi. Saving pictures in a resolution which is lower than 300dpi will result in a blocky and pixelated output after printing.
This is especially important with images which you download on the internet. These images usually have a very low resolution with some around 72 dpi.
Saving the image in CMYK mode is also important. This is in a case where you have this option available. By saving in CMYK mode, you can avoid a lot of issues that come up when printing images in RGB mode.
4. What factors determine the total cost of ownership for a printer?
The total cost of ownership is the projected expenses on a printer until the owner decides to dispose of it. There are various factors that determine the total cost of ownership of a printer. It is also important to note that a printer which has a very high initial price may not have the highest total cost of ownership.
Factors that determine the total cost of ownership include repairs and replacements such as toner replacements, ink replacements, replacements of parts, and many more.
As a result, most printers with a low initial cost of purchase can often have a very high total cost of ownership due to the cost of replacements and maintenance. As a result, cheaper isn’t always better.
5. What is GSM or g/m2?
This is the unit for stating the weight of the paper. Manufacturers use the GSM or g/m2 to indicate the grams per square meter.
A printer will usually have a maximum paper weight which it will accept as input according to the specification of the manufacturer.
6. Do I go for a Laser or Inkjet printer?
The decision a user will make when shopping for printers will usually depend on the intended use of the printer. For users who require a printer for printing large volumes, a laser printer is a better option. For printing lower volumes, inkjets offer much better functionalities.
Nonetheless, there are still certain benefits which each printer has over the other. Inkjets produce a high-resolution on photo prints while laser printers produce sharper images. Laser printers can also produce stable colorfast prints since they make use of toner which is fade resistant and waterproof.
There are also downsides to each printer. It is possible to find inkjet printers which saturate and wrinkle standard paper. They may also have a cost per page which is higher.
What is the page yield?
Page yield is a factor that depends on the ink cartridge. This is the number of pages a printer will be able to print before a particular ink cartridge will require a replacement or refill. There are other factors which usually determine the page yield.
7. What are super-tank printers?
Supertank printers are printers that use refillable tanks in place of the more common cartridges in printing documents. These printers are a more eco-friendly option for users to purchase.
There are three areas where this type of printer is beneficial to its users. These include the positive environmental impact, improvements in workflow efficiency, and reduction in the cost of operation by eliminating the need for replacement toners or inks.
Some of the super tanks available on the market include the Canon MegaTank, Epson EcoTank, and the Brother INKvestment Tank.
Regular printers produce a significant amount of pollution. This is as a result of the disposal of cartridges as well as the toxic chemicals used in producing the inks. Cartridges that have been disposed of commonly wind up in landfills.
The large quantity of print which users can get out of a super tank before refill makes them a more cost-effective option.
From the top 10 printer brands mentioned here, HP DeskJet 2131 All-in-One Inkjet Colour Printer, Canon Pixma MG2577s All-in-One Inkjet Colour Printer and HP DeskJet 1112 Single Function Inkjet Colour Printer are the best all in one printers. Whether it is about the print quality or the price, these three has its own unbreakable reputation in the market.
So choose effectively to enjoy high quality printing at the convenience of your home or office.