Best 3D Printers Reviews
3D printers came into existence during the year 1986. Chuck Hull held its patent. Chuck Hull invented the stereolithography apparatus in the year 1984 which formed the basis for the entry of 3D printers into the market.
3D printers find applications in various fields in this rapidly growing technological world such as manufacturing, medicine, industrial art, educational research, automotive industry and in computer-aided engineering courses.
3D printers are useful since they provide the three-dimensional view of the objects that the user wants to study or operate on from a digital file in the system. 3D printers are efficient not just because they are hassle free but also because they are better learning tools.
There are many types of 3D printers, so before considering which one to buy, one must always look into the types that satisfy the needs accordingly. So let us now look into some of the types of 3D printers available in the market.
Top 10 3D printers
Types of 3D printers
This is the simplest type of 3D printing amongst all the types we are going to discuss further. It is used to convert a digital file into a three-dimensional model for project purposes. It makes use of ink that hardens over a period after the 3D print of the object is obtained. This eventually becomes a three-dimensional model after the hardening process. Some of the examples of stereolithography 3D printers are Pegasus touch SLA technology, Form 1+ SLA 3D Printer, etc.
Selective Laser Sintering (SLS)
Here, the three-dimensional models are created using a laser. One of the vital differences between SLA and SLS is the fact that SLS makes use of the powdered substance in the process of creating a 3D model, unlike SLA which makes use of liquid ink. Some of the examples are as follows; Formlabs Form 2, DWS Lab Xfab.
Electronic Beam Melting (EBM)
This technique makes use of electron beams that are used to melt metallic powders to help create the three-dimensional models of the desired representational figures. An example is Arcam Q20.
Selective Laser Melting (SLM)
This process makes use of a laser beam to melt the successive metallic layers to form a three-dimensional model. Examples are Realizer SLM 125, Optomec LENS 450..etc.
Laminated Object Manufacturing (LOM)
Here, the adhesive-coated objects such as paper, fiber, metal or plastic that are glued together are cut into specific shapes using 3D printing tools. Example: The Mcor Matrix.
Digital Light Processing (DLP)
It is a digital micromirror device that is made use of to produce three-dimensional models. Examples: Desktop UV DLP, LumiPocket..etc.
Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM)
This technique makes use of a thermoplastic filament which is extruded layer by layer once it reaches its melting point to create three-dimensional models as per user requirements. Examples are JGAURORA 3D Desktop FDM Printer, Original Prusa i3 MK2, PowerSpec 3D Pro, FlashForge Creator Pro, ALUNAR high-resolution desktop FDM 3D Printer.
Binder Jetting (BJ)
This technique is also known as “drop-on-powder.” It is used for the creation of three-dimensional models based on a CAD file. Some of the examples are as follows; ExOne R2, ZCorp Spectrum z150, Addwii Unveils The X1..etc.
Material Jetting (MJ)
This technique uses the drop-on-demand approach where the material is jetted onto the platform. Eventually, as the material solidifies, the three-dimensional model is built layer by layer. Few examples are; ABS 3D printer, PLA 3D printer, HP Multijet Fusion.
Buyer’s Guide for 3D Printers Reviews
Before proceeding to the purchase, a prospective buyer should consider the following prerequisites;
The potential user must analyze the nature of 3D printer he may require for his particular needs. This is the first step in simplifying the buying process. Having a clear picture of what kind of 3D printer is needed is the primary step in experiencing a glitch-free purchasing affair.
The user should also look into the printing speed the particular 3D printer is capable of providing. This reduces the flaws that might arise in the later stages affecting the efficiency at which the 3D models are printed.
Print resolution is the cardinal factor of any 3D printer that must be taken into account before purchasing. The users should make sure that the quality of the print satisfies their representational needs. To prevent issues such as large 3D models being produced with poor resolution, it is necessary to analyze the capability of a particular 3D printer corresponding to its resolution capacity.
Print capacity has to be looked into before deciding to buy a 3D printer. This is because individual printers fail to cope up with the workload over a period. They slow down, thus affecting the efficiency of the machine. One must note that it is the printer capacity that decides the quantity and speed at which the three-dimensional models are produced as per user requirements.
A potential buyer sometimes should think beyond “cheap and best.” Price is a crucial factor while purchasing any commodity. But here is where paying for the quality also comes into the picture. Hence it is essential that as a customer, one should always rethink about the durability, reliability, and efficiency of the 3D printer they are going to buy. In simple words, cost should be worth the performance of the device.
Size of the 3D printer should be taken into account as well. Most users prefer portable 3D printers which again depends on how heavy or light the device is. Also, it must be noted that most of the hefty tools require a lot of maintenance in addition to the problem of portability. Hence it is suggested that users go for lightweight 3D printers that are easy to carry around.
Accuracy and precision play a crucial role as well. A 3D printer’s accuracy speaks a lot about its performance. It is expected of the 3D printer to provide an accurate three-dimensional model of the representational figure in exact measurements that the user desires. This not just reduces the inconveniences that may probably arise in the later stages but helps the user to carry out research activities without the lack of veracity.
This refers to the specific functionalities associated with the 3D printers such as its multifunctional capacity (to be able to work as a fax machine, scanner, drawing tool head. etc.), its features that might offer monochrome or colored prints. This is an essential factor since the needs differ from user to user.
1. Prusa i3 Rapid Rabit 3d Printer
Prusa printers have been pioneers in the field of 3D printer manufacturing. They are renowned for producing upgradability flexible 3D printers. Prusa printers produce a wide range of 3D printers with various configurations. One among them is the Prusa i3 Rapid Rabit 3D printer that is exceptionally efficient and user-friendly.
- Provides 210x210x210 mm printing size
- Supports Nylon material,PVA,PLA,ABS
- Comes with a heated bed
- It is a DIY kit
- Compatible with Windows 7,8,8.1 and ten along with Linux and Mac OS
- Comes with filament length of 10 meters
- 250W power consumption
- Melzi 2.0 board pre-loaded with Marlin Firmware
- Good print quality
- Prints accurately
- Good customer service
- High efficiency
- Requires frequent calibration for better results
- Not pre-built
- Consumes a lot of time for assembling
2. Flashforge wol3d Finder 3d Printer
iMakr is an eminent firm that has two 3D printing physical locations located in London and New York. Flashforge is one of the 3D printer range launched by iMakr.
Many other ranges of 3D printers are also held patented by this firm. One of the 3D printers that iMakr produced in the Flashforge field is the Flashforge WOL3D Finder Printer.
- 140x140x140 mm printing size
- 100-500 microns layer resolution
- Fused filament fabrication technology
- 1.75mm filament diameter
- 150w power consumption
- Compatible with Windows 7,8, Vista along with MAC OS X
- Single extruder
- Easy setup and printing
- Touch-screen navigation
- Excellent for initial prototype work
- Good tech support
- Includes preset of different types of filaments
- Flexible PLA
- Convenient and cost-effective filament management
- Uses only PLA filament that has no heated bed
- Designs need to be given more volume to achieve high accuracy
3. Flashforge Creator Pro
This model of Flashforge redefined precision in the field of three-dimensional printing. This device is user-friendly and popular amongst makers and enthusiasts. It provides a reliable and quality 3D printing experience. It is compatible with different printing environments for different printing materials.
- It is a very Precise and Reliable product
- A higher level of precision
- The top tier of print quality
- Enhanced stability construction
- Improved accuracy
- Provides stiffness
- Reduces vibration
- Heated aluminum build plates
- High print quality
- Versatile chamber
- Advanced assembly lines
- Noise level is high
- Poor connectivity
- Poor voltage setup
4. Prusa i3 mk2s 3d Printer
This 3D printer is manufactured in India by 3DPrintonics. This efficient three-dimensional printer consists of a one-kg filament and is fully built, calibrated and tested. It gives the same print quality as any other Prusa range of three-dimensional printer does. This three-dimensional printer was designed by Joseph Prusa.
- 50x50x50 cm build volume
- Mk42 heat bed
- PINDA sensor
- Auto mesh bed leveling
- Skew axis compensation
- Heated PEI print surface
- Exact specifications as that of original Prusa i3 Mk2s by Prusa3D
- 50 microns layer height
- 1.75 filament diameter
- High reliability, print quality, precision, and High volume
- Open source
- 40% faster printing
- Slow print speed
- Absence of dual extruder
5. Shaper Jet Desktop 3d Printer
This three-dimensional printing machine is produced by a Delhi based company called “ShaperJet.” They are renowned for the production of highly functional rapid prototyping machines with a motto of “Think it, shape it.” The founder and CEO of this firm are Raman Sachdev.
- 14.5x15x18 cm build volume
- Belongs to FDM type of printer
- Comes with a PLA filament
- 60 microns of minimum layer height
- 0.06mm of layer resolution
- 90 days of warranty
- One year of online support
- Comes with a flash drive, power cable, hex keys, scraper, vernier and USB
- High print quality and High precision
- Great print capacity
- Good resolution
- Easy setup
- Cost-effective in nature
- Lags in design and quality
- Gradual connectivity issues
- Requires frequent calibration
6. 3D Printer Vinci Nobel 1.0a with Sla Technology
This printer by Xyzprinting is the priciest one among other three-dimensional printers in the list. It is one of the full range of 3D printers released by the firm that is Da Vinci Color series, Da Vinci Super series, Da Vinci Jr. series, and Da Vinci Pro series. This one belongs to theNobel series.
- SLA Printing technology
- 280x345x590 mm dimension
- 128x128x200 mm printing area
- 130 microns layer resolution
- Photopolymer resin print layer
- XYZWare_Nobel software
- Compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, 64 bit, Mac OS X 10.10, OS X 10.11, OS X 10.12, Linux Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04
- 18 – 28 degree Celsius temperature
- Better equipment
- Better precision
- Higher accuracy
- Smart integration
- Easy and hassle-free operations
- Very expensive
- Slow print process
- Gradually decreasing efficiency in the long run
7. Xyz Printing Da Vinci Mini 3d Printer 1.0w
This three-dimensional printer from XYZPrinting is made of FDM technology with wireless connectivity. It comes under IMIK Technologies and is one of the affordable three-dimensional printers.
- 390x335x360 mm dimension
- 100 microns layer resolution
- 0.4 mm nozzle diameter
- 1.75 mm filament diameter
- OS Support: Windows 7 and above (for PC), Mac OS 10.8 and above (for Mac)
- Provides wireless connection
- Single button print design
- Non-toxic PLA filament
- Compact and productive
- Updated slicing precision and computing efficiency
- Presence of an LED status indicator
- Low cost, high-quality printer
- Printing speed is quick
- Easy to use software
- Slow pace for highest resolution printing
- Some prints fail while creating complex three-dimensional models
8. Xyz Printing Da Vinci Jr 1.0 Pro
This is a multifunctional three-dimensional printer that comes with the da Vinci pro series range from IMIK Technologies. It provides a hassle-free three-dimensional printing experience.
- 150x150x150 mm print dimension
- Fused filament fabrication print technology
- 0.02 mm-0.4 mm layer resolution
- PLA print material
- 0.4 mm nozzle diameter
- Thermal transfer
- Adjustable temperature settings
- Auto-calibration system
- Nozzle upgrade, optional add-on
- Duct extruder design for better prints
- Easy to set up
- ease of use
- Relatively bulky
- Small build platform
9. Wol 3d Upgraded Creality Ender 3 Easy to Assemble Premium DIY 3d Printer
This 3D printer is one of the best available on Amazon. It is effortless to assemble and is also an affordable 3d printer. This model is black and weighs 7kg. Products dimensions are 22 x 22 x 25 cm. You can easily print anything you want with this printer.
- Many advanced technologies are used in this printer.
- V slot along with POM wheels makes this printer user-friendly, noiseless, and durable as well.
- It provides large printing size.
- It can reach up to 110 degrees in 5 min, which helps in saving electricity
- It supports ABS, PLA, TPU materials
- A very affordable 3d printer which provides best prints
- The performance of this printer is excellent and very reliable
- The print quality is very clean and sharp
- There are some design flaws
10. 3D Bazaar Creality Ender 3 3D Printer Aluminum DIY with Resume Print 220x220x250mm
- It has extremely dimensional stability
- It works both online and offline through SD
- It reaches up to 110 degrees in about 5 mins
- It protects the printing process from the power cut. With this, you can continue where you left before the power supply was stopped.
- It is effortless to assemble
- Provides good printing quality
- Very affordable and provides value for money
- It is compact.
- No negative points were observed so far
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to choose the best 3D printer?
There are many factors to be considered before buying a 3D printer. Some of the factors are build area, hotbed, nozzle sizes, cooling fans, display, extruders, and much more. Know in detail about all these in buyers guide mention above.
If budget is not a barrier to achieve high efficiency in three-dimensional printing field then, Prusa i3 Rapid Rabit three-dimensional printer is the best choice. As told earlier, if performance stands out as a critical factor in any user’s requirement then looking beyond the idea of “cheap and best” is justified. With continuously evolving technical requirements of users across the globe, the industries to upgrade their technology as per the changing needs of masses. There are many types of 3D printers in the market but ultimately what counts is the efficiency and the rate at which the device will be able to deliver high performance as per the needs of the users.