9 Best BiPAP Machine
With all the advancements in technology, many of the medical issues can be stabilized at home itself. With machines like Nebulizer, BiPAP, and Pulse Oximeters patients that had to visit hospitals often can now take care of themselves at home, letting them live their life to the fullest.
PAP means Positive Air Pressure. It is the process of pressurizing and delivering air to people who normally have a hard time breathing on themselves. PAP therapy is usually performed in 2 modes; CPAP and BiPAP.
CPAP means Continuous Positive Air Pressure, and it is the provision of airflow at a fixed rate while BiPAP stands for Bi-level Positive Air Pressure. It is the provision of the airflow using variable pressure rates, which are based on the user’s breathing patterns.
For people who suffer from sleep apnea, BiPAP therapy is a very effective therapy.
The 9 Best BiPAP Machines Review
The most beautiful and efficient machine
The second runners-up regarding price
For Those Who Love Technology
Exclusively for CSA patients
The most economical for the money
For everyday use
Runners-up regarding price
An excellent Phillips substitute
What does a BiPAP machine do?
This machine effectively treats people with CSA by applying pressure on the airway.
This condition occurs when your brain is unable to send signals to the muscles that control your breathing. As a result, people with CSA will experience shallow breathing episodes that can last between 20-40 seconds. In a single night, extreme cases experience even 100 of these episodes.
A standard BiPAP machine should consist of the following components:
An Airflow generator
This is normally encased within a small box, and it normally contains a motorized fan. The generator draws air from the room, pressurizes it, and delivers the modified air through the face mask to the user.
A connective hose
This is what connects the generator to the mask. Most of them will measure at least 6 feet long.
Some BiPAP machines may come with a detachable or built-in humidifier whose job is to warm water that is used to humidify the air before delivery to the user through the mask.
The filter will protect the air from dust and other allergens, which may contaminate it before it is transmitted to the user.
- A Mask: The mask is normally bought separately, and most masks are sold in different shapes and styles to accommodate people’s preferences. Generally, you will find four main types of masks;
- A full mask – This will fit perfectly around your nose and mouth. It is ideal for people who love to sleep with their mouths open.
- Nasal mask – This one is a little small and will fit over your nose and not the mouth. It is ideal for people who breathe with their nose while they sleep.
- A nasal cradal – This will fit perfectly beneath the nose, and it delivers oxygen to your nostrils without necessarily covering the bridge of your nose.
- A nasal pillow – This is a pillow mask that will form a seal around each of your nostrils without ever coming into contact with the bridge of your nose or mouth.
Here’s how to operate a BiPAP machine;
- Ensure to set the machine on a steady surface where it can’t easily fall or shift positions in the night.
- Plug the machine into an AC or DC outlet.
- If the humidifier is detached, remember to fill the chamber with distilled water before inserting it. If it is built-in to the machine, then pour water into the chamber.
- Attach the face mask and the connective horse to the generator.
- Put the mask on and adjust it as needed.
- Turn on the BiPAP machine.
- Adjust to the settings you will need throughout the night.
Buying Guide for BiPAP Machine
When shopping for a BiPAP machine, it is important to know its main features and design elements that you should be looking for. This buying guide will help you identify what you should be looking for and also introduce you to the terminology used with these machines.
Type of sleep apnea you have
This is, of course, the most important point. As mentioned earlier, there are two main types of sleep apnea, OSA, and CSA.
It is important to visit your doctor and understand what you suffer from so you can be able to buy the right machine. Proper and constant use of a BiPAP machine will promote quality sleep and overall health and wellbeing for someone who suffers from sleep apnea.
BiPAP dimensions (weight and size)
The profiles of the BiPAP machines vary from one to another. Some are small; others are large. You will, therefore, need to consider this, especially if you have limited space on your bedside table because this is where you need to place it. Portable Bipap machines are necessary when you travel hence make sure of its size.
This machine should also not fall or get twisted at night because it will affect its performance.
Also, if you are a frequent traveler, then you may need to buy a machine that is small and lightweight as well to make your traveling easier.
This refers to the amount of air that can be pressurized by the machine. Most of them will need 4-16 centimeters of water, i.e., cm/h2o. – this is the measurement used to measure the pressure.
Look for a BiPAP machine that has a range of 4-20 because unless the doctor prescribes to you differently, this is what is needed.
With recent technology, BiPAP machines have become quieter, but you should know that there are some that tend to be very noisy and disruptive.
Ensure to look for a machine that will not bother your partner or other people in the household due to its noise levels. The noise level of a BiPAP machine is measured in dbA (a-weight decibels) – this reflects the loudness of the air-based sound.
A good BiPAP machine will come with a humidifier. The humidifier helps in adding pressurized air to the machine, so your throat is less irritated and dried out as a result of using the machine. It is, therefore, essential since you will be using this machine daily.
Some BiPAP machines will come with a built-in humidifier, while others do not have one. If your machine does not have a humidifier, it means that you will have to buy it separately, which will cost you more.
Now, there are two things you need to consider in this case; buy a BiPAP machine with a built-in humidifier, and also get one with a large one because the larger the humidifier, the longer you shall be able to use the BiPAP machine without needed to re-fill it with water.
Now, almost all of the BiPAP machines bought in the US will come with a power cord that allows you to use it with any standard outlet.
Some, however, will give you both power source and battery operation. This is perfect, especially if you are going to be traveling a lot, and it will also come in handy if you are going to be in places that do not have the standard US power voltage.
Choose a machine that gives both power and battery operation.
It is important to have a machine that allows you to make adjustments when needed. For example, you can be able to make adjustments to the level of air pressure that the machine is generating, or event he altitude in which the machine is operating.
These kinds of control adjustments are crucial for a BiPAP machine because they help make life easier. Buy a machine that will afford you this type of control and flexibility.
This refers to how much time must elapse before the BiPAP machine reaches its fully programmed pressure. The most common range is 30-60 minutes.
Alternatively, a good BiPAP machine that is equipped with ‘smart technology’ will be able to increase and decrease the pressure based on your breathing automatically. These types of machines do not come with a set Ramp time.
Sleep data collection
This is data relating to the BiPAP machine. Find a machine that will help you keep records because they help understand your sleep patterns. It can also help you in knowing the severity of your sleep apnea and if the BiPAP machine is working as required.
A BiPAP machine is significantly priced, and therefore, a warranty assures you of the machine’s ability straight from the manufacturer. A warranty will also protect you from a malfunctioning machine and will help you if you need a replacement.
Most connective hoses that are used with BiPAP machines will measure at least 6 feet in length. If the space you have in your bedroom is limited, then you may opt to have one that has a longer length so it can serve you better.
Some machines will have an alert system which is always a good thing because it can easily alert you if the pressure is off, or if the mask falls off, or if there is a leak in the hose. These alarms are delivered via an alarm or by use of an LED screen.
1. Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Pro with Humidifier – The most beautiful and efficient machine
This is one of those machines that must be seen to be believed. Not only does it look completely different from the others, but it is also just as effective if not more, at a lower priced compared to the Philips Respironics machine.
- Excellent design – The machine has a classic and stylish design that also has excellent features. It is also small and light, which makes it perfect for traveling. The features are also easy to navigate, and it has front facing menus that you can easily operate while lying down.
- Acclimation made easy – This dream station has a set of tools that allow patients to start their therapy quickly and easily. It has an A-Z menu that helps you acclimate gradually while you fall asleep.
- Connectivity options – You can easily monitor your progress on any Android or Apple machine since it allows easy connectivity.
- Morning progress review – Each morning, you will be greeted with a summary of your progress by the machine to help you evaluate your progress easily and to motivate you as well.
- Long-term use by patients who want to manage their sleep disorders.
- Daily management and tracking.
- Connectivity to Android and Apple devices to share data with your doctors.
- Many users appreciated its quality.
- Quiet operation.
- Advanced in technology.
2. BIPAP Auto Systemone 60 Series – The best
This Bipap Auto Systemone series features an intelligent solution to all your sleep-related problems. It comes with bi-flex that ensures effective and optimum sleep therapy. The auto BiPaP machine is a lightweight and compact model that also comes with a display that notifies you about the readings.
- Comes with humidity and resistance control.
- Ensures an automatic display of data on the device.
- Compact and lightweight design.
- Quiet operation.
- Helps in achieving sleep therapy.
- Provides a comfortable and natural breathing experience.
- No negative points observed so far.
3. Blue Neck BMC Resmart GII Auto BIPAP Machine – The second runners-up regarding price
This machine is extremely advanced regarding technology and adopts the sensor mode, which automatically tracks a patient’s respiratory system. Its intelligent control system also provides patients with a reliable OSA therapy system.
- It has a new and innovative system for tracking patient data, which ensures the reliability of the system. This ensures accurate and very reliable management of sleep apnea.
- Sensitivity setting: This ensures that users are offered an individual algorithm therapy that keeps them well managed and comfortable.
- It has Ramp capabilities that range from 0-60 minutes. This is also adjustable as per the patient’s needs.
- It has an automatic on/off button.
- It comes with an alarm that will alert you whenever anything goes wrong.
- It has a unique delay feature that will protect the Restart button from a humidity hazard.
- It has one button that helps you review the data information per day.
- It has a 3.5-inch colored LCD screen that makes it easy to see whatever is happening with the machine. You can easily control the pressure levels using this screen.
- It has an exquisite control knob with a BMC restart setting that will take you on another level of operational experience.
- Eco-smart – It comes with an Eco heating technique that is very innovative and a dual chamber design for optimal humidity and temperature control. In addition to all this, it has an accurate water quantity level with real-time compensation from the storage chamber. This eco-smart is efficient and low cost.
- iCode – It complies with the data encoded with a QR code, App Store and Google Play.
- It has low noise- This means that it does not cause any disruptions to people who use this machine or anyone in the household.
- 2-real-time monitoring modes- It will monitor your respiratory system using two unique modes – the tidal volume Vt, and the Minute respiratory mode Min. Vent.
- It has 3 Innovative tracking systems that ensure accurate and comfortable therapy.
- It also has 4·Unique sensitivity settings that will offer you a comfortable and more individual therapy.
- It has 5·Auto on/Auto off functions that deliver quick and easy operations at all times.
- It makes very little noise.
- It is very advanced regarding technology.
- You can either rent or buy from the manufacturer,
- You can be able to monitor your progress daily.
- It is compatible with most smartphones.
- It has high-level sensitivity settings,
- It requires a little getting used to as it is not easy to use.
4. Respro BiPAP S with Humidifier BiPAP Machine – For Those Who Love Technology
This machine is designed to be used by patients who have spontaneous respiration. It can synchronize the patient’s respiratory patterns and cycles between IPAP – Inspiratory pressure and EPAP – expiratory pressure.
- Auto ramp technology – When the machine is powered on, it delivers air pressure patiently till you fall asleep. Once you go to sleep, it will go back to its prescribed air pressure all night long. This makes it excellent as you do not have to keep setting and re-setting the ramp all the time.
- LED screen – It has an LED screen that allows you to see all of the settings you choose and also allows you to choose what you need the machine to do for you. This is very easy to use and user-friendly, even for elderly users.
- Accessories – It comes with a full-face mask, a carry bag for when you need to travel, a heated humidifier, and a hosepipe. All of these make it extremely economical since you do not have to buy them separately.
- Double action – You can use it for both CPAP and BiPAP. This is perfect for people who suffer from both conditions, which means that you do not need to buy two separate machines and keep on alternating from one to another.
- Advanced technology – It comes with built-in internet connectivity that allows you to connect to any device that is Android powered or Apple device. This makes it ideal for people who love smart technology.
- Heated humidifier – This helps in pressurizing the air, so you do not suffer from throat infections.
- The package contains a face mask and carry bag.
- Has a heated humidifier.
- Excellent for traveling.
- Makes use of advanced technology.
- Easy to use.
- No negative points observed so far.
5. Oxylink BiPAP Auto Machine – Exclusively for CSA patients
This machine from Oxylink is designed for comfort and reliability. You simply switch it on at night, and you sleep since it is automatic and adjusts the pressure settings as per your requirements.
- Auto ramp – This delivers air pressure automatically through the hose pipe and allows the patient to fall asleep gently and comfortably without much care about the pressure levels and the Ramp’s abilities. It is designed for people who love their sleep and do not like to be disturbed.
- Noise level – it is very quiet in its operations, and you will rarely hear it make any noise. For people with partners, this machine does not bother them in any way, and it is perfect even for households with small children that can be disturbed by the smallest of noises.
- Automatic operations – It comes with some pre-set modes that you can press a button, and you are good. It is not complicated, and almost anyone can use it.
- Heated humidifier – This is very important for ensuring your throat doesn’t get too dry as a result of using the machine. It has an inbuilt humidifier that makes it very economical. You need not buy it separately which will ultimately increase its cost.
- Data storage – It can store data that is needed for sleep apnea patients, and in this way, you can be able to monitor the progress of the machine and the disease. By monitoring these levels, you can also be able to make the right settings for a patient that is using the machine.
- Connected care – It makes use of wireless technology and allows you to connect it easily to any android or apple machine. In this way, you can be able to download your sleep data and analyze it effectively, even send it to a doctor for more advice and help.
- Helps patients that have trouble breathing.
- Internet connectivity makes it easy to send information online to people who need it.
- Data storage helps you store the data you need.
- The LCD screen makes it very clear and easy to use.
- You can use only it for CSA patients only.
6. Entrusted Auto BIPAP Machine – The most economical for the money
Entrusted Auto has come up with a machine that can integrate the features of a heated humidifier and a BiPAP machine all in one. In addition to the humidifier, purchasing this product gives you a face mask, an SD card, and a whole lot of accessories that you shall surely appreciate.
- Advanced Data interpretation software – The machine is equipped with software that will be able to track for you your day to day breathing and gives you a report. In this way, both patients and physicians can track their progress easily.
- Pressure relief – It has an expiratory relief system that makes ample adjustments to the EPAP (Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure) and IPAP – Inspiratory Positive Airway Pressure) This helps you sleep easy with fewer distractions and inconveniences.
- On/off button – The ramp gives you the freedom to switch it on and off, and also allows you up to 60 minutes use before it needs to be reset again. It also has a Realtime treatment of the data displayed.
- Versatile EPR- This means Expiratory Pressure relief. This machine is extremely adjustable and can move easily from level 0 to 3 with the push of a button. This allows you to set it as needed for your specific sleep apnea problem.
- Noise level – Its noise level is 28db, which means that it is very quiet. It makes use of patented muffling technology that ensures a comfortable, peaceful night with very little disturbance for the patients and caregivers as well.
- Very quiet in its operations.
- Pressure relief function.
- LCD screen.
- Easy to use.
- Comes with lots of accessories.
- The LED screen is very small.
7. Respironics BiPAP and Auto Biflex System – For everyday use
This Bi-level machine with airway pressure will mean the difference between compliance and non-compliance to those patients that struggle with the normal CPAP machines. It emulates your natural breathing and enhances a very high level of breathing.
- Real-time access – It enhances compliance and efficacy by providing Realtime access to the patient’s data, which leads to successful treatment of sleep apnea disorder. Daily management of information makes it very easy to monitor the progress and share it with your physician.
- Advanced event detection through clinically proven algorithms – This machine continually monitors and adjusts the patients changing needs with clinically proven techniques that include an adjustable EPAP. As a result, you will have a happy patient who is benefiting 100% from the machine.
- Humidity control – This machine comes with a built-in humidifier that analyzes ambient temperatures, patient flow, and relative humidity. You will then have enhanced comfort and compliance. Everybody needs this comfort and the ability to not have a dry throat after a long night of using the machine.
- Bi-flex technology – This machine has a bi-flex pressure relief system that will make this BiPAP machine appear to be more like natural breathing. It also delivers excellent pressure relief.
- Encore – This is a state-of-the-art data management system that helps you simplify patient care. It will automatically gather the most vital information about a patient and store it for future use. This you can freely share with the healthcare provider for more individualized care.
- Therapy modes – It has three therapy modes; fixed bi-level, CPAP, and auto bi-level modes. This is what gives you flexibility and control as you can choose whichever one you like to ensure you have more personalized care that suits your needs.
- It comes with a humidifier to make it easier for your throat after use.
- It has an advanced data management system.
- It gives you control to choose and select whatever you want.
- It has Realtime access and monitors a patient’s progress perfectly.
- It has an LED screen.
- Its LED screen is very small, and some people may not be able to see it.
8. Philips Respironics BiPAP Avaps Noninvasive Ventilator – Runners-up regarding price
Philips is one of the most trusted brands in India. The Philips Respironics BiPAP Avaps Noninvasive Ventilator provides comfort and pressure ventilation with consistent efficacy that has an assured tidal volume. If you are looking for a quiet machine, this is at 30Db, which is non-invasive and very quiet.
- Adapts to your changing needs – This machine maintains optimal comfort by supporting patient care and treatment efficacy. It will adapt automatically to disease progression and simplifies the titration process.
- DirectView Management – It streamlines reporting and helps in identifying any adjustments needed for effective patient treatment and care. It also allows clinicians to select parameters that will export the data for statistical operations.
- Heated humidifier – It has a heated tube humidifier with a temperature sensor at the end of the tube that delivers excellent humidity to the client. As a result, you will not have a dry mouth and throat after using the machine all night long.
- Digital auto track – This helps greatly with leak detection because it allows the optimal patient/ventilator synchrony that will recognize, compensate, and adjust the variable triggers for this.
- Resistance control – It has a system one control resister that will help you become very comfortable while using the machine. It also has very simple settings for improved use.
- Bi-flex technology – This helps with pressure relief for optimal patient comfort.
- Advanced Data interpretation software – the machine is equipped with software that will be able to track for you your day to day breathing and gives you a report. In this way, both patients and physicians can track their progress easily.
- Connectivity – it is compatible with most Android and Apple devices that help you submit data efficiently.
- It is quiet in its operations.
- Has an advanced data analysis system.
- Has the bi-flex technology,
- It can be connected with any Android and Apple systems.
- The price does not include a humidifier.
9. Respro BiVap Core ST BIPAP Machine – An excellent Phillips substitute
This is designed to enhance the breathing of patients that have spontaneous respiration problems. It is automatically made to synchronize with the patient’s respiratory patterns and circles the IPAP and EPAP efficiently.
- Humidifier – It comes with a built-in humidifier that will do the work of pressurizing the air, so your throat is less irritated and dried out as a result of using the machine. It is, therefore, a great machine that saves you the cost of having to buy a humidifier separately.
- Pressure relief – It has an expiratory relief system that makes ample adjustments to the EPAP (Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure) and IPAP – Inspiratory Positive Airway Pressure), making the patient sleep comfortably.
- Real-time management and access – It improve compliance by providing Realtime access to the patient’s data, which leads to successful treatment of sleep apnea disorder. Daily management of information makes it very easy to monitor the progress and share it with your physician.
- LCD display – It has a huge LED screen that will display for you everything that is happening, including your breathing statistics and the pressure levels. You will choose whichever settings you want and adjust the levels of pressure through the LCD screen.
- Can be used as a BiPAP and CPAP as well.
- It comes with a large LCD screen.
- It is a Realtime.
- It comes with a humidifier as well.
- Comes with an affordable price tag.
- It is not very easy to use and may require some getting used to.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is a BiPAP machine similar to a ventilator?
Both machines help you breathe. However, a BiPAP machine is a non-invasive machine that helps you breathe by pushing the air and oxygen through the mask so that it creates pressure to help you breathe. On the other hand, a ventilator is an invasive machine that pushes air into the lungs through a tube put into your windpipe.
2. What is this machine used for?
A BiPAP machine is used for treating people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). It is a disease related to respiration in which people have trouble breathing. The machine also helps in treating sleeping disorders like sleep apnea by providing optimum sleep therapy.
3. Can a BiPAP machine be used at home?
Yes, the compact and lightweight design makes it suitable to use at home.
4. Is there a travel BiPAP machine?
BiPAP machines are lightweight and portable. Hence, it can be stored conveniently for carrying it along with you while traveling.
5. What is the difference between a BiPAP and CPAP machine?
Both of these machines are used to control sleep apnea. Their functions are, however, slightly different because the CPAP machine controls sleep apnea by providing Continuous Positive pressure, and the pressure is fixed. The setting was made as a result of a sleep study that clearly understood the needs of people who suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnea or OSA.
A BiPAP machine is more advanced regarding technology, and it is mostly used by people who can no longer tolerate the CPAP machine. These are also people who suffer from the Central Sleep Apnea or CSA condition.
It provides a pressure drop that allows you to breathe normally and easily.
6. Can I buy a refurbished BiPAP machine?
There are some refurbished machines on sale, but it is important to be careful, and unless the real manufacturer of the machine has refurbished it himself, it may not serve you as it should. Again, you may not enjoy the benefits of a warranty by buying a refurbished machine.
Most people have reported lots of disappointments with second-hand products so, it is advisable not to do it unless you have to and are assured of the quality you shall receive.
7. Does it treat sleep apnea completely?
No. BiPAP machines do not treat this condition, and they only make life easier for people who suffer from sleep apnea.
8. What do BiPAP settings mean?
These are the pressure settings. They are usually measured in cmH2O, and for a BiPAP machine, the settings may start as low as 8 or 10, and you can be able to adjust this up to 24. This is very high, and you may need a doctor’s recommendation to go that high.
For the BiPAP machine, the inhalation pressure must always be higher than the exhalation pressure so you can be able to control the Bilevel airflow. When patients struggle to breathe, the settings are normally adjusted.
9. Which is the most popular Respironics BiPAP machine?
The most popular Respironics BiPAP machine has got to be the PHILIPS RESPIRONICS Dreamstation BIPAP Pro Machine that won 2016 IF design because it was developed after very many discussions with sleep apnea patients.
It is very popular, and we have reviewed it above.
When it comes to your health really, no cost is too much, and you can spend whatever amount so that you can improve your level of living and make you comfortable. With most of the BiPAP machines being so expensive, you may wonder if you need one.
The answer is yes; you do need it. Think about how much you are always willing to spend on a new car or a flat-screen tv. Consider this a top priority so it can improve the quality of your life greatly.