Best Dental Care For Pets
Do you have a pet at your home and are worried about its dental health? There are so many questions that linger around you like bad odour, plaque as well as bacterias. Your pet’s cute face makes you want to feed a few extra treats, which can often lead to some dental issues.
Some dental care products are easily available online that you can start using right away, but it can be quite confusing as to, where to start from? To help you maintain your pet’s health and bond better with them, we have listed a few products you can start with.
Here, we have a solution to all your questions. By reading this article, you will get a clear knowledge of different dental products and what they actually do.
Also, we have mentioned a few safety tips for oral care and how oral care is important. To remove bad breath, provide your pet with mint-flavoured dental products.
This article has mentioned different dental products, safety tips, and our best picks for dental care. Also, a buying guide makes you clear what to be checked before buying a product and a few FAQs.
Best 8 Dental Care For Pets in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Water Additive cleaning
Complete Oral Kit
Organic dental hygiene
How oral care help your pets?
- By providing complete oral care to your pets, they will be free from diseases associated with dental problems.
- Oral care prevents the loosening of teeth or tooth decay.
- Also, it prevents plaque and tartar, which are the major problem in pets due to bad oral hygiene.
- Proper oral care makes your pet free from gum inflammation.
- Also, it helps against bad breath.
- Improper oral care may sometimes lead to respiratory problems, heart diseases, periodontal disease.
- If oral health diseases are untreated, then your pet may be prone to lung or kidney diseases.
So, to make your pet free from all kinds of problems it is advisable to maintain good oral hygiene.
Dental safety tips for pets
Pets need proper oral care to be hygienic here we provide few tips to follow for oral health.
- Brush your pet’s teeth daily. Try to use a finger brush for massaging gums and teeth for proper blood circulation.
- Use a tongue cleaner to clean the bacteria and leftover food particles on the tongue.
- Introduce toothpaste slowly first allow your pet to lick the toothpaste to get habituated to the flavour of the toothpaste
- To provide complete dental care, provide your pets with dental food supplements.
- Clean the pets feeding products like bowls, so there are no germs are the next time they feed.
Types of dental care products
It is the common type of product used in cleaning the teeth of your pets. To keep your pets, oral hygiene, one must clean their pet’s teeth daily. We have different kinds of toothbrushes available in the market.
Finger toothbrush, normal toothbrush, and double-headed toothbrush are the types in toothbrushes. Apart from cleaning the teeth, a finger toothbrush will also massage the gums and provide good circulation.
A normal toothbrush will only be used to clean the teeth as we do while a double-headed toothbrush has a small toothbrush at one end and a big toothbrush at another end.
The smaller end brush is to clean the rear teeth while the bigger end brush is to clean the front teeth.
Only using a toothbrush does not help in cleaning the teeth from tartar, plaque, and bacteria. One must need to use toothpaste to clean teeth completely.
Pet toothpaste is designed to remove plaque and tartar.
Also, a few kinds of toothpaste are flavoured with mint to provide a good breath for your pet. Many pet owners use human toothpaste for their pets, but it may be toxic to your pets.
Always use chemical-free and non-toxic toothpaste for pets.
Pet mouthwash is safe to use and also a few types of mouthwash are harmless even if they are swallowed by dogs accidentally.
Dogs must be trained on how to use the mouthwash. A clinically tested mouthwash is the safest to use. Mouthwash is designed to remove the bad breath and kill the bacteria.
You have spray form and liquid form mouthwashes available in the market.
Provide your pet with dental mint that is safe to chew. They eliminate bad breath from your pet, also chewing the dental mint aids to reduce tartar.
Moreover, they also brighten the teeth by providing oral care. Dental mints are available in different flavours. Provide your pet with dental mint as a daily treat to maintain healthy teeth.
Plaque removal gel/powder/spray
A spray is easy to use, just spray the liquid on the food offered to the pet. A gel is a self-cleaning agent, and the pet owner does not need to massage the dog’s teeth and gum.
The powder is also convenient to use. You can add the powder to the food which aids in cleaning the teeth, removing plaque and tartar.
A tongue cleaner helps to remove a bad coat on your pet’s tongue. They are also easy to use; you just need to rub gently on your pet’s tongue to remove the coat.
On regular usage of the tongue cleaner, the cleaner removes bad breathe and unwanted food particles stuck to the tongue. Also, tongue cleaner removes bacteria from the tongue, providing your dogs’ oral hygiene.
Dental wipes are specially designed to provide clean teeth for your pets. This works well for owners who dislike using toothbrushes and toothpaste to clean the teeth and gums.
They are designed for all ages of pets. It is best to use these wipes when you are just started cleaning your pet’s teeth or adopted an adult pet.
Also, they can be used while travelling as they will be easy to carry and disposable. The only precaution to be taken is don’t allow your pet to swallow the wipes.
Dental ropes with floss
Dental ropes with floss create favourite pass time. Your pet can actually chew the ropes while playing with floss. They are safe to use, and they provide good exercise to gums and teeth.
Ensure that this kind of dental floss must not be provided to adult dogs or cats as they may damage it. It is safe for small breeds. Apart from the fun activity, they will also provide healthy teeth.
Water additives are comfortable to use; they can fight against bacteria apart from reducing tartar, plaque. If bacteria are not cleaned and ingested, they may cause few health issues for your pets.
So, using a water additive is the easiest way to use it. All you need to do is simply add a cap of water additive to your pet’s bowl. Water additive also helps in reducing bad breath.
When you plan to provide your pet oral care with food supplements, pick the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) approved food supplement. Not every oral care food supplement is VOHC approved.
Any VOHC approved food supplement is safe to use as those products are tested and certified. This kind of food supplement provides vitamins and natural ingredients to maintain dental health.
Also, they are capable of providing clean teeth, reducing tartar, and plaque.
Dental Chews provides a good exercise to teeth, gums, and also aids in removing plaque, tartar. Dental chews provide self-oral care and also reduces bad breath.
It is better to choose VOHC sealed dental chews.
Buying Guide For Dental Care Products
Providing your pet with proper dental care makes them stay healthy. Choosing the correct product for healthy oral care is an important thing. Here, we have mentioned a few things to be checked while buying a dental product.
It is the most important thing to be checked while you are choosing any of the dental-related products. Always cross-check the product you are choosing is safe to use, free from harmful things.
Ensure that the product is tested well and your pet is not allergic to it. A few pets may allergic to few flavours or few ingredients.
Ingredients included in toothpaste, food supplements, water additives, dental chews or sticks must be environmentally friendly, chemical-free and hypoallergic.
A baking soda based product like toothpaste aids in whitening the teeth of your pet. Also, a mint-flavoured gel or water additive or toothpaste aids in removing bad breath.
Easy to use
The product you are opting must be convenient to use and does not have any additional demonstration. For example, a water additive is a convenient product to use, simply add a cap of water to your pet’s water bowl.
The brush chosen must be easy to handle and must aid in easy cleaning of the teeth. Suppose, if you are planning to buy a tongue cleaner, it must clean the bacteria and food particles stuck on the tongue easily.
Products like toothbrush and tongue cleaner must be made from highly durable quality. They must not be easily broken. Otherwise, you will always be buying a brush or cleaner.
Size and shape of the toothbrush
We know that pet toothbrushes come in different sizes and shapes, also, there are three types of brushes like the standard brush, finger brush, double-headed brush. The size and shape of the toothbrush must be easy for you to clean your pet’s teeth.
Also, a double-headed toothbrush must contain a small brush and a large brush to clean the rear and front teeth, respectively.
The shape of the toothbrush must not harm your pet while cleaning. Also, it must reach all the teeth easily without any difficulty in cleaning.
Bristles of the toothbrush
While choosing a brush to ensure that the bristles of the brush are soft and strong. They must not irritate your pet while brushing the teeth.
Also, the bristles must not stick in between teeth. Moreover, the bristles must not make the gums bleed or swell.
1. Pedigree Dentastix, Oral Care Dog Treat for Adult Small Breed – Chewable care
Pedigree is a subsidiary of the American group Mars. Their main aim is to provide products that keep a dog happy and healthy. Their products are designed innovatively to provide balanced vitamins, proteins, fiber and much more.
These dental sticks for puppies are so soft to chew. Also, they reduce tartar and plaque on regular usage. The texture of the food allows for removing debris from teeth. It requires the dog to chew for a longer time. Moreover, Dentastix is easily digestible and helps in cleaning the gum line between teeth.
- The product claims that it will reduce Tartar
- The shape and texture of the dentastix help to clean between teeth.
- Also, Dentastix supports healthy gums
- Dentastix can be used for a German shepherd, Pugs, Beagle to Labrador, Golden Retriever
- It does not have any added flavors or colors.
- Sodium Tripolyphosphate and Zinc Sulphate in it helps in slowing the effect of Tartar.
- Moreover, the product is available for small, medium and large breeds
- It prevents cavities from regular usage
- It removes the odor effectively.
- Colour of the teeth also improved for greater appearance.
- No negative points were observed.
2. Petlogix Natural Canine Mouth Wash for Pet Dogs & Cats
Taking care of your pet’s dental care is not an easy task. Petlogix brings this natural mouthwash that cleans the mouth and acts as a breath freshener for daily freshness.
It helps in clearing out any odour normally caused by excess bacteria in your pet’s mouth. The spray comes in a handy-sized bottle which makes it easy to carry even when you are travelling.
- The spray contains peppermint, papaya, gooseberry, and spearmint extracts in its formula.
- It naturally kills bacteria and reduces plaque for healthy oral health.
- It is sulphate free, cruelty-free and pH balanced keeping in mind your pet’s health.
- The spray is designed to work well on all coat types.
- The unique formula helps in reducing foul odour in the pet’s mouth.
- Papaya in it acts as a herb with a compound that promotes a healthy digestive system.
- It is a quick and easy solution to keep your pet’s dental care in check.
- The mouthwash also has ginger, which reduces the build-up of plaque, giving a healthy appearance to the teeth.
- The peppermint in the mouthwash acts as an oral freshener for clean breath all day long.
- It is easy to use as all you have to do is spray some amount on teeth, gums, and directly inside the mouth.
- No negative points found.
3. Tropiclean Fresh Breath Skin and Coat Water Additive – Water Additive cleaning
Fresh and breathe water additive is the product of Tropiclean. Tropiclean water additive is easy to use. Simply add a cap of water additive to your pet water bowl. On regular usage, it removes plaque and tartar.
Also, it provides healthy skin and coat. Moreover, the ingredients used are harmless and safe to use.
- The product has omega 3 and 6 for healthy skin.
- It promotes good breath daily.
- The product is easy-to-use. Just add one cap of water additive to your pet’s drinking water.
- It provides clean teeth on regular usage and provides overall oral wellbeing
- Also, the product claims easy removal of tartar and plaque within 30 days
- Dog’s breath improved on regular usage
- Also, the flavor of the water additive is good, liked by pets.
- Provides good skin & coat
- No negative points were observed.
4. Pil’s Pet Denta gel for Dogs 100 gm – Self-spreading gel
Pet Denta gel is the product of psychotropics India limited. Their dog dental care products are categorized into a wide range including Animal care, Gastro products, Anti-inflammatory agents, Antibiotics and much more.
Pet Dentagel is a self-spreading and self-cleaning agent, easy to use. All the ingredients used aids in oral health care.
Also, the gel aids in killing the germs and avoiding bad breath. After applying the gel your pet must not be fed with food or water.
- The product is ideal for both cats and dogs
- Pet Dentagel aids in controlling bad breath
- Helps with keeping your pet can be free from plaque and tartar.
- Moreover, it is easy to use and no brushing or rinsing is required
- Also, it fights any gum diseases
- Dentagel is a mixture of mint and green tea extract providing oral health
- Dentagel is easy to use. It requires a simple application to teeth
- Ingredients used to provide oral hygiene
- The quality of the product is good
- No negative points were observed.
5. EARTHBATH Tooth and Gum Wipes – Artificial fragrance-free
Tooth and Gum Wipes is the product of Earthwhile Endevaour Inc. All their products are tested and show natural effects. Their products include shampoo, conditioner, grooming and specialty wipes, waterless shampoo, spritz.
Earthbath Tooth and gum wipes keep your pets away from bad breath, plaque and tartar. Also, it cleans the bacteria causing the odor. This product is effective for good dental care.
It is easy to use and has a mint flavor. Also, the wipes come in a tiny box with a beautiful flip-open lid. This helps in avoiding the moisture loss from the wipes.
- The product is free from parabens, alcohol, sulfates, artificial fragrance
- The product is safe to use for even a 6-week old pet
- The wipes can remove plaque and tartar
- It is suitable for dogs, cats, kittens, and puppies
- Easy to wipe the dog’s gum and teeth
- The wipes avoid developing tartar
- The mint flavor keeps your pet away from bad breath
- Wipes are tiny in size.
6. Trixie Dog Dental Hygiene Kit – Complete Oral Kit
Trixie was founded in 1974. The company provides more than 6000 products for various pets. The product categories include Dog, Cat, Bird, Small Animal, Reptile, Aquatics and more.
Trixie Dental Kit includes a toothpaste, double-headed brush, and 2 finger brush. The kit is provided to provide complete oral health care.
The kit aids in improving overall oral hygiene. Also, it keeps the teeth clean and odor-free. On regular use of the kit, it works well. Also, proper massaging of gums and teeth helps in good circulation.
- The kit comes with toothpaste, two finger brush, and a double-headed brush.
- The brush has a small brush head at one end and a big one at the other end. The bigger side toothbrush is used for front teeth while the smaller one for back teeth.
- Toothpaste is mint flavored for freshness.
- All the products are very easy to use and clean
- The toothpaste improves overall oral hygiene
- While the finger brush can be used for massaging teeth
- Also, the toothpaste aids in removing Tartar
- Dog likes the taste of the toothpaste
- The double-headed toothbrush can be used for sensitive dogs as the bristles are soft.
- Toothbrushes are very comfortable to use, and finger toothbrush is easy to brush your pet’s teeth.
- No negative points were observed.
7. Petkin Pet Dental Food Spray – Easy Spray
Petkin products are easy to use and their products are designed to provide overall complete care to your pets. Also, their products are tested in the lab before selling them out.
Moreover, the products are cruelty-free and eco-friendly. Their products include grooming, waste bags, health care, dental care, and much more.
Pet Dental food spray is the product of Petkin that removes the tartar and plaque perfectly. The product does not require any rinsing or brushing. Provide your pets with oral hygiene while feeding them.
- The food spray can be used for both cat and dogs
- Dental food spray is easy to use and clean
- On using daily, food spray tartar and plaque can be removed from your pet’s teeth
- Also, removes bad breath and provides freshness
- Baking soda in the food spray aids in brightening your pet’s teeth
- Easy to use and removes odour efficiently on regular usage
- This food spray need not be rinsed or brushed for good results. Simply spray on your pet’s food for the results.
- While spraying ensure that it does not go into the eyes otherwise it can cause irritation for sensitive pets
8. Mad About Organics All Natural Dog & Cat Dental Care Kit – Organic dental hygiene
Mad about organics provides natural, safest, effective products. All their products are organic, chemical-free. Their products are categorized into cat and small animal products, dog products, large animal products, and human gear.
The starter kit is best suited for both cats and dogs. Also, the ingredients used in herbal gel, water additive, and food additive are natural, safe to use.
Moreover, it is a clinically formulated product. The products are designed to improve overall hygiene, remove plaque, and Tartar. Also, gets rid of bad breath.
- The dental care starter kit includes food additive, water additive, and herbal gel.
- Water additive oral care aids in controlling plaque and tartar
- Also, it helps boost the immune system and improve oral hygiene
- The food additive can also control bad breath apart from fighting plaque and Tartar
- Also, a food additive can improve digestion track
- Moreover, all the products are organic and safe to use
- Herbal Gel is easy to use and helps soften, remove plaque quickly.
- Water additive works well on both dogs and cats.
- The taste of the herbal gel is good and organic.
- It comes in a really small quantity.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I brush my pet’s teeth?
Brushing your pet’s teeth is not a fun-filled activity and if you adopted an adult dog or cat the job will be more tedious.
Start brushing the teeth without using toothpaste for a few days. Gradually, introduce toothpaste to them by first allow to lick the toothpaste. Try to use a comfortable toothbrush for both owners as well as the pet.
Clean the front teeth and then clean the rear teeth. If you are afraid or feel uncomfortable brushing the teeth, take your pet to a veterinary dentist.
Ask for a demonstration and follow the instructions if your pet is small, start brushing the teeth from a young age.
2. At what age do we start brushing pet’s teeth?
Usually, it is better to wait until your pet has adult teeth or permanent teeth. Till then, try to use dental supplements for healthy oral care.
3. How often should I visit a veterinary dentist?
If you are following proper oral care to your pets it is advisable to visit every six months for a checkup as they help to know if any unseen problem arises. Also, they advise about the oral care you are providing the pet.
4. Warning signs of improper dental care in pets?
Bad breath, tartar, plaque, gum irritation, swollen gums, and difficulty in eating. All these can be avoided with a good dental care routine.
5. Is it necessary to provide dental food supplements to your pet?
Yes, it is. Dental food supplements will provide the required nutrients and vitamins, help to remove tartar and, plaque.
6. How do dental wipes help in oral care?
You can not brush your pet’s teeth all the time or after feeding them each meal. So, instead, you can use dental wipes to clean the teeth and gum to clean them after a meal.
7. How does a finger brush help in cleaning the teeth?
A finger brush can be used for brushing the teeth and also massaging the gums. So, proper massaging helps in easy blood circulation to keep the teeth and gums healthy.
8. Do dental chews really provide oral care?
Many dental chews are helpful in reducing plaque, tartar, and do so. Also, they provide good exercise to teeth, gums, and jaws by making them stronger.
Keeping the pet happy and healthy is all we think of, these innocent souls live their life around us, and the best we could do is provide them with great care. The first step to do that is investing in pet dental care products.
It can be not very clear with so many options available, which is why we have listed top products for you. To help you even more, here are our top picks Tropiclean Fresh Breath Skin and Coat Water Additive, Pil Pet Dentalgel for Dogs, and Pedigree Dentastix Small Breed